PDA

View Full Version : JMU Beats ACC Schools for Recruit

jmufan999
February 3rd, 2009, 11:28 AM
sorry, i don't have a link. got it from caazone. seems like Mickey likes tall D-ends (who doesn't?), we'll see if that's where he ends up playing. i would assume so, but who really knows for sure at this point.
----------------

JMU Beats ACC Schools For D-End Posted 2009-02-02

By Mike Barber

HARRISONBURG - Just two days before players are allowed to start signing letters of intent, James Madison has landed one of its most sought-after football recruits: Fairfax senior defensive end Jordan Stanton.

Stanton verbally committed to JMU after spurning offers from a pair of ACC schools, Boston College and Maryland, his coach said Monday.

"We talked this morning and then he notified all the schools in contention," Robinson High School coach Mark Bendorf said. "He took an official at Boston College this weekend and he decided not to visit Maryland. He said he wanted to make his commitment."

The Eagles and Terrapins extended scholarship offers at the end of January. Still, Stanton chose the Division I-AA Dukes, passing on a chance to play I-A football.

"It's unusual. It's very unusual," Bendorf said. "I'm going to give JMU some credit here. They offered him in July. And really, they didn't have a whole lot to go on other than what they saw as an upside."

Bendorf said Stanton didn't play organized football until his junior year, but impressed college recruiters with his improvement and his showing at summer camps at Virginia and Virginia Tech. That was when JMU first offered him a scholarship.

The 6-foot-4, 242-pounder runs the 40-yard dash in 4.7 seconds.

"He was real green when he came to us," Bendorf said. "He's made tremendous strides. I wish I had another year with him."

Stanton, who could not be reached for comment Monday, had 83 tackles, four sacks, two forced fumbles and one blocked punt for Robinson, which went 5-5. He was named second-team All-Group AAA by the Associated Press.

JMU also added a commitment from Chantilly's Jordan Anderson, a 6-1, 200-pound running back from Westfield High School.

Like Stanton, Bendorf said, Anderson had a big senior year to get on college's radars.

"His junior year was at Annandale and he had a solid year," said Bendorf, whose team faced Anderson this year in district play. "Then he went to Westfield and had a breakout year. He had a very good year here and he was one of the better backs in this area."

JMU now has received oral commitments from 13 recruits: Anderson, Stanton, wide receiver Leavander Jones of Atlantic City (N.J.) High School, tight end/defensive end Sean O'Neill of River Dell High in Oradell, N.J., quarterback Dae'Quan Scott of R.E. Lee High [jmufan999's opinion: he will be a stud in a few years], running back Daniel Allen of Stone Bridge High in Ashburn, linebacker Adrian Cavanaugh of Patrick Henry High School in Ashland, quarterback Jakari Jackson of Tuscarora High in Frederick, Md., tight end Matt Krout of Riverbend High in Fredericksburg, wide receiver Renard Robinson of Baltimore's Mt. St. Joseph, tight end Jonathan Sharp of Fork Union Military Academy, linebacker Stephon Robertson of Thomas A. Edison High in Alexandria and linebacker Tyler Snow of William Byrd High in Vinton.

Madison also has added a pair of I-A transfers: Army defensive end Nick Emmons and Marshall cornerback Ryan Smith. Emmons, Smith and Sharp are all enrolled at JMU this semester and will take part in spring practice.

JMU coach Mickey Matthews said Monday the Dukes plan to add about 20 new players - both high school seniors and transfers - this recruiting period.

National signing day is Wednesday.

JMU Newbill
February 3rd, 2009, 11:37 AM
thanks for the article

jmufan999
February 3rd, 2009, 12:03 PM
i really think Dae'Quan Scott could end up being our best recruit. he's not going to touch the ball 20+ times a game (ever, most likely)... but i think he could end up being the next Scotty McGee. they're built almost the exact same, and Scott has return experience. plus, he can flat out FLY.

appfan2008
February 3rd, 2009, 12:11 PM
congrats to ya... thats pretty good...

JMU Newbill
February 3rd, 2009, 01:14 PM
offensively i think we are in good shape for the next few years either way.... i'm really hoping some of these defensive recruits step up

citdog
February 3rd, 2009, 01:16 PM
jmu the new gsu? only the idiots from pigs ass, ga post new topics rather than goining to the already up and running recruiting thread.

mcveyrl
February 3rd, 2009, 01:27 PM
jmu the new gsu? only the idiots from pigs ass, ga post new topics rather than goining to the already up and running recruiting thread.

FWIW, I posted this in the recruiting thread yesterday.

jmufan999
February 3rd, 2009, 01:54 PM

The Citadel's record in FCS playoff games ALL TIME (since 1905): 1-3
number of CONFERENCE championships ALL TIME: 2

i'd say the idiotic thing is that you keep returning to this site over and over and over again.... and apparently don't realize that your team doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning a CONFERENCE title, no less a national title. i'd say you're wasting your time, and THAT is idiotic.

Pitz
February 3rd, 2009, 02:00 PM
INTERN3TZ BATTLE.

danefan
February 3rd, 2009, 02:06 PM

i'd say the idiotic thing is that you keep returning to this site over and over and over again.... and apparently don't realize that your team doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning a CONFERENCE title, no less a national title. i'd say you're wasting your time, and THAT is idiotic.

Welcome back Citdog.
xpopcornxxpopcornxxpopcornxxpopcornxxpopcornx

JmuSkinsfan
February 3rd, 2009, 06:02 PM
Let me preface my post with this: Rivals is purely an FBS recruiting website and pays little, if any attention to FCS. That being said, I was just perusing their recruiting rankings thus far by team...and WESTERN CAROLINA, Richmond, ASU, and Umass were all like 118-121.

Now I know noone here really uses Rivals as a reference, but I found it interesting that some big name schools weren't listed. Neither of the 4 schools above had a 3 star recruit...and JMU apparently has landed 3 of them...in addition to three 2-stars...just wondering why they weren't one of the top FCS teams (only 4 listed in the top 121). Oh well..I guess that's why we don't reference Rivals lol

ASU
February 3rd, 2009, 06:17 PM
Let me preface my post with this: Rivals is purely an FBS recruiting website and pays little, if any attention to FCS. That being said, I was just perusing their recruiting rankings thus far by team...and WESTERN CAROLINA, Richmond, ASU, and Umass were all like 118-121.

Now I know noone here really uses Rivals as a reference, but I found it interesting that some big name schools weren't listed. Neither of the 4 schools above had a 3 star recruit...and JMU apparently has landed 3 of them...in addition to three 2-stars...just wondering why they weren't one of the top FCS teams (only 4 listed in the top 121). Oh well..I guess that's why we don't reference Rivals lol

I know that Appalachian had a three star two or three weeks ago and at least several two stars.....but those stars are not worth the ink they are written in and I would not put any stock in them.

JohnStOnge
February 3rd, 2009, 06:48 PM
I've seen this kind of stuff before and I'm always skeptical about it. A recruit and/or his coach say a solid BCS leauge program really wanted him but he chose the "small" school instead. I seriously, seriously doubt Boston College was giving this guy what he wanted in terms of scholarship and he chose James Madison. And that's nothing against James Madison. It's just that, realistically, it's very unlikely that a recruit is going to choose an FCS school over a solid BCS school that really wants him.

Tribe4SF
February 3rd, 2009, 07:13 PM
I've seen this kind of stuff before and I'm always skeptical about it. A recruit and/or his coach say a solid BCS leauge program really wanted him but he chose the "small" school instead. I seriously, seriously doubt Boston College was giving this guy what he wanted in terms of scholarship and he chose James Madison. And that's nothing against James Madison. It's just that, realistically, it's very unlikely that a recruit is going to choose an FCS school over a solid BCS school that really wants him.

Amen.

hapapp
February 3rd, 2009, 09:05 PM
I had heard that Scott had some academic issues. Any truth to that?

JmuSkinsfan
February 4th, 2009, 01:09 AM

Rumor had it he had not "qualified" for UR's academic standards...but it was just that...a rumor.

A UR fan came onto the JMU boards over on the CaaZone and stated this as fact, however, it is not true at all. The coaches at UR were still open to Scott going to UR up until the day he made the decision to go to JMU ... it was merely a rumor started by a UR fan who was unhappy with him leaving UR for JMU.

jmuroller
February 4th, 2009, 02:42 AM

Believe what you want to believe. I find that hard to believe since JMU is very tough on their athlete admissions.

JMU Newbill
February 4th, 2009, 06:42 AM

The realist in me says you are right.

The optimist in me says that he visited JMU and saw how hot the girls were, and that swayed his decision.... wait.... I mean that he chose JMU based on their outstanding academic merits and their football team's national FCS prominence.

Reign of Terrier
February 4th, 2009, 06:46 AM
The realist in me says you are right.

The optimist in me says that he visited JMU and saw how hot the girls were, and that swayed his decision.... wait.... I mean that he chose JMU based on their outstanding academic merits and their football team's national FCS prominence.

xlolxxlolxxlolx

Reign of Terrier
February 4th, 2009, 06:46 AM

carefulxwhistlex

citdog
February 4th, 2009, 08:02 AM

jmu couldn't win the socon either......must be real nice beating up on state universities from states that are smaller than charleston county. the only idiot here 999 is you.....when did you play for jmu? that's right you didn't....you sniffed jocks

JMU DUUUKES LAW
February 4th, 2009, 10:09 AM
jmu couldn't win the socon either......must be real nice beating up on state universities from states that are smaller than charleston county. the only idiot here 999 is you.....when did you play for jmu? that's right you didn't....you sniffed jocks

didn't the SoCon champion get beat by the #1 and #4 CAA teams this year (JMU and UR) ?? I mean I have as much respect for SoCon as anyone, but your argument that JMU couldn't win the SoCon doesn't make sense. Every year? Of course not. But it could easily happen.

JmuSkinsfan
February 4th, 2009, 11:35 AM
CitDog stop foaming at the mouth you're starting to sound stupid and bitter.

citdog
February 4th, 2009, 11:44 AM
didn't the SoCon champion get beat by the #1 and #4 CAA teams this year (JMU and UR) ?? I mean I have as much respect for SoCon as anyone, but your argument that JMU couldn't win the SoCon doesn't make sense. Every year? Of course not. But it could easily happen.

they sure did......THIS YEAR.....historically the SOCON IS THE TOUGHEST.....2008, LIKE 1865, WAS ONLY AN ABBERATION

citdog
February 4th, 2009, 11:45 AM
CitDog stop foaming at the mouth you're starting to sound stupid and bitter.

I'LL REMEMBER YOU SAID THAT.....xthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
February 4th, 2009, 02:15 PM
sorry, i don't have a link. got it from caazone. seems like Mickey likes tall D-ends (who doesn't?), we'll see if that's where he ends up playing. i would assume so, but who really knows for sure at this point.
----------------

JMU Beats ACC Schools For D-End Posted 2009-02-02

By Mike Barber

HARRISONBURG - Just two days before players are allowed to start signing letters of intent, James Madison has landed one of its most sought-after football recruits: Fairfax senior defensive end Jordan Stanton.

Stanton verbally committed to JMU after spurning offers from a pair of ACC schools, Boston College and Maryland, his coach said Monday.

"We talked this morning and then he notified all the schools in contention," Robinson High School coach Mark Bendorf said. "He took an official at Boston College this weekend and he decided not to visit Maryland. He said he wanted to make his commitment."

The Eagles and Terrapins extended scholarship offers at the end of January. Still, Stanton chose the Division I-AA Dukes, passing on a chance to play I-A football.

"It's unusual. It's very unusual," Bendorf said. "I'm going to give JMU some credit here. They offered him in July. And really, they didn't have a whole lot to go on other than what they saw as an upside."

Bendorf said Stanton didn't play organized football until his junior year, but impressed college recruiters with his improvement and his showing at summer camps at Virginia and Virginia Tech. That was when JMU first offered him a scholarship.

The 6-foot-4, 242-pounder runs the 40-yard dash in 4.7 seconds.

"He was real green when he came to us," Bendorf said. "He's made tremendous strides. I wish I had another year with him."

Stanton, who could not be reached for comment Monday, had 83 tackles, four sacks, two forced fumbles and one blocked punt for Robinson, which went 5-5. He was named second-team All-Group AAA by the Associated Press.

JMU also added a commitment from Chantilly's Jordan Anderson, a 6-1, 200-pound running back from Westfield High School.

Like Stanton, Bendorf said, Anderson had a big senior year to get on college's radars.

"His junior year was at Annandale and he had a solid year," said Bendorf, whose team faced Anderson this year in district play. "Then he went to Westfield and had a breakout year. He had a very good year here and he was one of the better backs in this area."

JMU now has received oral commitments from 13 recruits: Anderson, Stanton, wide receiver Leavander Jones of Atlantic City (N.J.) High School, tight end/defensive end Sean O'Neill of River Dell High in Oradell, N.J., quarterback Dae'Quan Scott of R.E. Lee High [jmufan999's opinion: he will be a stud in a few years], running back Daniel Allen of Stone Bridge High in Ashburn, linebacker Adrian Cavanaugh of Patrick Henry High School in Ashland, quarterback Jakari Jackson of Tuscarora High in Frederick, Md., tight end Matt Krout of Riverbend High in Fredericksburg, wide receiver Renard Robinson of Baltimore's Mt. St. Joseph, tight end Jonathan Sharp of Fork Union Military Academy, linebacker Stephon Robertson of Thomas A. Edison High in Alexandria and linebacker Tyler Snow of William Byrd High in Vinton.

Madison also has added a pair of I-A transfers: Army defensive end Nick Emmons and Marshall cornerback Ryan Smith. Emmons, Smith and Sharp are all enrolled at JMU this semester and will take part in spring practice.

JMU coach Mickey Matthews said Monday the Dukes plan to add about 20 new players - both high school seniors and transfers - this recruiting period.

National signing day is Wednesday.

I heard Dae'Quan Scott won't be academically eligible? Hopefully he gets his grades in order because he should be a good one, if he does qualify.

mcveyrl
February 4th, 2009, 02:43 PM

To add to this, many times it's a matter of position. For instance, Scotty McGhee was recruited by Tennessee. The catch is he was recruited by Tennessee to play DB and he wanted to play RB. Of course, he got switched over to DB while at JMU (and almost left the team), but the point as to recruiting still remains.

Many OL/DL type players want to play defense, but the FBS school might want them to play OL.