PDA

View Full Version : West Florida to Div I?

TexasTerror
February 2nd, 2009, 07:48 PM
UWF has form a group to look into a move to Div I. They'd be a very ideal fit in the Big South, would they not? Any of our Florida posters know about this one...?

Rumors about the potential for NCAA Division I sports and the possibility of football at the University of West Florida have swirled for months.

Now the school has made its first substantive move in that direction, unveiling the UWF Athletics Visioning Team 2009 on Monday.

The 25-person fact-finding committee will examine the state of athletics and could determine whether the school is fit to add sports or move up from NCAA Division II to Division I. A move to Division I would put UWF among the high-profile universities on the top level of intercollegiate athletics.

http://www.pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009901060324

appsfan
February 2nd, 2009, 08:13 PM
Sounds like a great spot for a road trip, especially for a November game.xcoolx

BearsCountry
February 2nd, 2009, 08:47 PM
Where is UCA fans at that? They would know as well since they were in the same conference as them.

nwFL Griz
February 2nd, 2009, 08:51 PM
I've seen several references to this in the local papers. Most seem to talk about how the addition of football would be key to making the move to D1....and just how difficult that undertaking would be.

The first thing that comes to mind is, there is no football stadium capable of hosting a D1 institution in Pensacola.

Redbirdz
February 2nd, 2009, 09:37 PM
Isn't there an NCAA moratorium on a move up?

W. DeMontague
February 2nd, 2009, 09:48 PM
Sounds like a great spot for a road trip, especially for a November game.xcoolx

Pensacola can get cold in the winter. The entire Florida panhandle does. Maybe not Boone, NC cold, but it does get nippy. Mid-upper 20s/low 30s isn't that much fun.

apaladin
February 2nd, 2009, 10:13 PM
Isn't there an NCAA moratorium on a move up?

Yes, can't start the process to move until 2011.

kirkblitz
February 2nd, 2009, 11:47 PM
they can get the team together in 2 years, lets do it!

Lionsrking
February 3rd, 2009, 12:02 AM
UWF has form a group to look into a move to Div I. They'd be a very ideal fit in the Big South, would they not? Any of our Florida posters know about this one...?

http://www.pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009901060324

Will never happen, but UWF would fit better in the Southland than the Big South, assuming they add football...geographically, it will be challenge for them no matter what conference they join, but at least they would be relatively close to us (210 mi) and Nicholls (257 mi) and not all that far from McNeese (383 mi), Northwestern (432 mi) and Lamar (438 mi)...the closest trip for them in the Big South would be to Presbyterian at 509 miles...the longest trip would be to VMI at 805 miles...the longest trip in the Southland would be to Corpus at 774 miles.

Big Dawg
February 3rd, 2009, 03:38 AM
HELL NO!!!

We have enough Div. I football teams in Florida.

nwFL Griz
February 3rd, 2009, 07:48 AM
Pensacola can get cold in the winter. The entire Florida panhandle does. Maybe not Boone, NC cold, but it does get nippy. Mid-upper 20s/low 30s isn't that much fun.

Been a few years since it got that cold in November.

pcola
February 3rd, 2009, 08:00 AM
Been a few years since it got that cold in November.
I don't recall 20's or 30's in November, but it sure is cold this morning.

TexasTerror
February 3rd, 2009, 08:00 AM
Will never happen, but UWF would fit better in the Southland than the Big South, assuming they add football...geographically, it will be challenge for them no matter what conference they join, but at least they would be relatively close to us (210 mi) and Nicholls (257 mi) and not all that far from McNeese (383 mi), Northwestern (432 mi) and Lamar (438 mi)...the closest trip for them in the Big South would be to Presbyterian at 509 miles...the longest trip would be to VMI at 805 miles...the longest trip in the Southland would be to Corpus at 774 miles.

If they do not go to the Southland - does the Atlantic Sun make sense as a viable option for UWF? Seems it would with that array of Florida (four) and Georgia schools (two) among others.

813Jag
February 3rd, 2009, 08:13 AM
I haven't heard anything, although Pensacola might as well be in Alabama. xlolx News never travels this far south.

89Hen
February 3rd, 2009, 08:20 AM
Ugh. As much as I like to see more I-AA's, there are enough DI teams in FLA. xoopsx

813Jag
February 3rd, 2009, 08:26 AM
Ugh. As much as I like to see more I-AA's, there are enough DI teams in FLA. xoopsx
There's 10 total (only 3 FCS). That's not too bad.

UAalum72
February 3rd, 2009, 08:45 AM

If Stony Brook is still in Big South football, that's 1268 miles

nwFL Griz
February 3rd, 2009, 09:49 AM
I don't recall 20's or 30's in November, but it sure is cold this morning.

Word! I almost had to bust out the ice scraper for the windshield before my drive to work!

gophoenix
February 3rd, 2009, 10:01 AM

you are talking as the bird flies, not as the bus drives. Once you factor in drive times, then the Big South becomes logical.

As for the moratorium, that depends. There are 12 D-II given a waiver. new Haven, and I believe UNCP, were two of those.

henfan
February 3rd, 2009, 11:09 AM

Is FAMU DI or are they I-AA? I thought they were in the Small College Division but maybe they moved up to the University Division. Maybe I missed something.xoopsx

UCABEARS75
February 3rd, 2009, 11:14 AM
Where is UCA fans at that? They would know as well since they were in the same conference as them.

Well, they didn't play football and I simply do not remember that much about them in the other sports.

Big Dawg
February 3rd, 2009, 02:48 PM
Is FAMU DI or are they I-AA? I thought they were in the Small College Division but maybe they moved up to the University Division. Maybe I missed something.xoopsx

xconfusedx

W. DeMontague
February 3rd, 2009, 03:12 PM
Florida does have enough FBS (I-A) schools who play football.

Only three schools at the FCS level (I-AA).

And two NAIA football playing schools.

If West Florida decided to start a football program, FCS would be a good bet.

MplsBison
February 3rd, 2009, 04:17 PM
Just because Pensacola is technically within the Florida state borders doesn't mean you can logically lump it in with the rest of the state.

It's a metro area growing toward 500k and isolated geographically an hour east of Mobile and three hours west of Tallahassee.

Obviously they could support West Florida DI athletics.

Big Dawg
February 3rd, 2009, 05:34 PM
Just because Pensacola is technically within the Florida state borders doesn't mean you can logically lump it in with the rest of the state.

It's a metro area growing toward 500k and isolated geographically an hour east of Mobile and three hours west of Tallahassee.

It's Florida, man.

813Jag
February 3rd, 2009, 05:57 PM
It's Florida, man.
That's Alabama. xlolx But seriously another football school won't hurt the state.

nwFL Griz
February 3rd, 2009, 07:50 PM

It's Florida, man.

That's Alabama. xlolx But seriously another football school won't hurt the state.

As much as I hate to agree with Mplsbison, he is right. Anyone who lives here will tell you it is more Alabama than it is Florida. Pretty much everyone around here refers to NW Florida as "LA" (lower Alabama).

dgreco
February 3rd, 2009, 08:23 PM
As much as I hate to agree with Mplsbison, he is right. Anyone who lives here will tell you it is more Alabama than it is Florida. Pretty much everyone around here refers to NW Florida as "LA" (lower Alabama).

so do people down in broward and dade county xlolx

Big Dawg
February 4th, 2009, 02:22 AM

It will hurt schools like FAMU, BCU, and maybe JU. Now you'll have another Florida football playing school that will water down the Florida talent pool even more than USF, FIU, and FAU has done.

I don't care how close Pensacola is to Alabama, it's still a Florida school and will still attract Florida athletes. I could be wrong, but damn man.

blackcaesar3k5
February 4th, 2009, 03:06 AM
BD: I really don't believe UWF is serious about having football on their campus.. It won't hurt schools like FAMU, BCC and JU whatsoever.. this would make those three schools work harder to recruit talent in sunshine state.. Especially, areas in northwest florida like Port St. Joe, Panama City, Chipley, Penscola, Fort Walton Beach and other areas...

813Jag
February 4th, 2009, 05:56 AM
It will hurt schools like FAMU, BCU, and maybe JU. Now you'll have another Florida football playing school that will water down the Florida talent pool even more than USF, FIU, and FAU has done.

I don't care how close Pensacola is to Alabama, it's still a Florida school and will still attract Florida athletes. I could be wrong, but damn man.
Look at it this way, in Louisiana there are 4 FCS and one BCS school withint 3 hours of each other, noone's hurting for recruits. You may have to work a little harder for Pensacola area players but that's about it. Besides that's pretty far off to worry about it.

pcola
February 4th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Word! I almost had to bust out the ice scraper for the windshield before my drive to work!
Since I left NoDak, I refuse to scrape windows. I let the defroster take care of the windows. Today I got in the truck and it was 27. Cccccold.

Mpls is right. This is more like Alabama than it is Florida. We are 50 minutes from downtown Mobile. Three hours to the nearest adjacent city in Florida, Tallahassee, five hours to Jax, seven hours to Orlando and 10 hours to Miami. Heck I can get to New Orleans in 3 hours and Houston in 8 hours going West and Birmingham in 4 hours going North.

Pensacola is Florida's redheaded step child.

813Jag
February 4th, 2009, 07:07 AM
This thread is the first time I've agreed with MPLSBison. xlolx

gr8ness97
February 4th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Since I left NoDak, I refuse to scrape windows. I let the defroster take care of the windows. Today I got in the truck and it was 27. Cccccold.

Mpls is right. This is more like Alabama than it is Florida. We are 50 minutes from downtown Mobile. Three hours to the nearest adjacent city in Florida, Tallahassee, five hours to Jax, seven hours to Orlando and 10 hours to Miami. Heck I can get to New Orleans in 3 hours and Houston in 8 hours going West and Birmingham in 4 hours going North.

You're in Pensacola too?!

I just moved here and I got jipped on the allure of coming to "Florida" :p.

I havent heard much about UWF moving up and I live down the street from the campus. They do have the size to do it though. Pensacola is a decent metro area also. The city doesnt care for annexing, so PNS proper is only 60,000 but the Metro is 6 times that. The campus is nice.

AND ITS COLD HERE *brrrrr*

MplsBison
February 4th, 2009, 01:22 PM

FAMU and BCU won't be hurt. You're black schools. You don't even play white schools.

gr8ness97
February 4th, 2009, 01:29 PM
FAMU and BCU won't be hurt. You're black schools. You don't even play white schools.

Stop.

813Jag
February 4th, 2009, 01:30 PM
You have foot in mouth disease. xnonono2x

Big Dawg
February 4th, 2009, 02:34 PM

DUMBEST COMMENT OF THE YEAR!!!

813Jag
February 4th, 2009, 02:48 PM
DUMBEST COMMENT OF THE YEAR!!!
Comming from him that says alot. xnonono2x

pcola
February 5th, 2009, 07:28 AM
You're in Pensacola too?!

I just moved here and I got jipped on the allure of coming to "Florida" :p.

I havent heard much about UWF moving up and I live down the street from the campus. They do have the size to do it though. Pensacola is a decent metro area also. The city doesnt care for annexing, so PNS proper is only 60,000 but the Metro is 6 times that. The campus is nice.

AND ITS COLD HERE *brrrrr*19 degrees this morning and I refused to scrape that window. I live about a mile from the campus and one of the things that you realize is that most people in metro Pensacola don't even know UWF exists.

It is transitioning from a commuter campus to a nice college campus, but has a way to go. I've been to some BB games and have to say that the BB facilities look like a High School. The natatorium is nice. The baseball field is great. Soccer and tennis are okay.

I have seen a master plan that showed a stadium on campus. It is hanging on the wall in Building 90 (https://nautical.uwf.edu/campusMap/main.cfm?mapid=4).

Before the economic downturn it was probably 20 years out, now it will likely be pushed further into the future, if ever.

gr8ness97
February 5th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Well, UWF is OUTSIDE of Pensacola like a reject school or something. Even PJC is right by the mall. I pass that everyday going to work.

Cant say I have had the chance to go check it out. I wish WSSU has their size enrollment though.

LOL I didnt have any windows to scrape. This is too cold for Lower Alabama.

kperk014
February 15th, 2009, 04:52 PM

Yeah, we (the state of Alabama) have tried to tempt Escambia County into annexation a few times in the past.

kperk014
February 15th, 2009, 04:56 PM

That's why we tried to annex Pensacola. Florida gives you no respect. Hell, according to Tom Schneider, the Cal kicker who played for UNA this past season, the whole panhandle to Panama City should be in Alabama. :)

Lionsrking
February 16th, 2009, 11:16 PM
you are talking as the bird flies, not as the bus drives. Once you factor in drive times, then the Big South becomes logical.

As for the moratorium, that depends. There are 12 D-II given a waiver. new Haven, and I believe UNCP, were two of those.

No, I'm talking about driving miles and the Southland is a much better geographical fit for West Florida than is the Big South.

MplsBison
February 17th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Driving from Pensacola through Mobile, through Gulfport/Biloxi, through New Orleans and then on to the 97 different Louisiana schools in the Southland and then back home ain't no picnic.

813Jag
February 17th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Driving from Pensacola through Mobile, through Gulfport/Biloxi, through New Orleans and then on to the 97 different Louisiana schools in the Southland and then back home ain't no picnic.
The longest trip to a Lousiana school is 6 hours to Natchitoches. And they're all near major highways. The Texas trips may be a different animal.

CSUBUCDAD
February 17th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Makes alot more sense than having in the Big South than a team from NY

bluehenbillk
February 17th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I've heard the same rumors about Florida Gulf Coast U in Ft Myers as this thread is suggesting about West Fla.

MplsBison
February 17th, 2009, 10:23 AM
The longest trip to a Lousiana school is 6 hours to Natchitoches. And they're all near major highways. The Texas trips may be a different animal.

Yep and it's only 38 miles between Baltimore and Washington, all freeway.

That means it's only a 30 minute drive! xnonono2xxnonono2x

Lionsrking
February 17th, 2009, 11:32 AM

Nobody said it was a picnic, but it's a helluva lot easier driving from Pensacola to towns in the Southland than driving from P'Cola to towns in the Big South...not even close.

MplsBison
February 17th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Nobody said it was a picnic, but it's a helluva lot easier driving from Pensacola to towns in the Southland than driving from P'Cola to towns in the Big South...not even close.

Because...? You say so?

813Jag
February 17th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Because...? You say so?
you do know that it's about 160 miles between Pensacola and Tallahassee. That's a trip in itself.

Lionsrking
February 17th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Because...? You say so?

Listen Pal...I drive I-10 from Pensacola to Houston on a weekly basis and I make at least a couple of driving trips to North Carolina and Virginia every year...there's no comparison.

But I guess you know better.

Lionsrking
February 17th, 2009, 12:43 PM
you do know that it's about 160 miles between Pensacola and Tallahassee. That's a trip in itself.

It's actually closer to 200 miles from P'Cola to Tallahassee...seems like it takes forever because there's not much in between.

Retro
February 17th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Lake Charles to Pensacola - 6 hours
Hammond to Pensacola - 3.5 hours
Natchitoches to Pensacola - 6.5 hours

Not a bad trip. Straight interstate all the way..

chrisattsu
February 17th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Distances from Texas Schools to UWF

Texas State to Pensacola- 11 hours (686 miles)
UTSA - 11 hours (718)
Sam Houston - 9 hours (588)
SFA - 9 hours (561)
UT-Arlington- 11 hours (715)
Lamar - 6.5 Hours (436)
A&M Corpus - 12 hours (741)

My hunch is that the Texas Schools would be less than interested in trips to Pensacola.

MplsBison
February 17th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Listen Pal...I drive I-10 from Pensacola to Houston on a weekly basis and I make at least a couple of driving trips to North Carolina and Virginia every year...there's no comparison.

But I guess you know better.

You didn't provide any sort of argument so I challenged you. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

MplsBison
February 17th, 2009, 01:51 PM

UTSA - 11 hours (718)
SFA - 9 hours (561)
Lamar - 6.5 Hours (436)

My hunch is that the Texas Schools would be less than interested in trips to Pensacola.

Yeah I would agree with that.

813Jag
February 17th, 2009, 02:03 PM
It's actually closer to 200 miles from P'Cola to Tallahassee...seems like it takes forever because there's not much in between.
I've taken that drive many times going from Tampa to Baton Rouge.

Lionsrking
February 17th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I've taken that drive many times going from Tampa to Baton Rouge.

So have I...I used to live on Madeira Beach in St. Pete.

AtlantaMountaineer
February 17th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Stupid question but here goes. How does someone from N. Dakota/Minn know so much about the South. Also, weren't you the one that said last year there was no way NDSU would have less than 6 home games because less than 6 was "less than your fans deserved" . Just checked your schedule and so far only 4 home games scheduled for far.

Lionsrking
February 17th, 2009, 03:11 PM

UTSA - 11 hours (718)
SFA - 9 hours (561)
Lamar - 6.5 Hours (436)

No doubt about it, that's why it won't happen...but the original question was whether or not the Big South would be a good fit for West Florida...I merely pointed out that the Southland Conference offers a better geographical fit, albeit not a great one...of course if the league were to expand and split into two divisions for all sports, then it might make more sense, assuming UWF adds football.

MplsBison
February 17th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Stupid question but here goes. How does someone from N. Dakota/Minn know so much about the South. Also, weren't you the one that said last year there was no way NDSU would have less than 6 home games because less than 6 was "less than your fans deserved" . Just checked your schedule and so far only 4 home games scheduled for far.

There's probably a lot of things I know that you don't understand.

jstate83
February 17th, 2009, 04:13 PM
HELL NO!!!

We have enough Div. I football teams in Florida.

xlmaox

I was thinking the same thing when I saw this.
At this rate, Florida's talent will be spread out and watered down like Mississippi's talent because of all the D-1's we got in a state of 3.5 million people.xlolx
Seem's like every other year, a school add's sport's and move right up to D-1 status in Florida.

blackcaesar3k5
February 17th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I don't see UWF being threat to other 1-aa schools within state of florida whatsoever...

Florida doesn't has juco football programs unlike Mississippi...

813Jag
February 17th, 2009, 05:44 PM
xlmaox

At this rate, Florida's talent will be spread out and watered down like Mississippi's talent because of all the D-1's we got in a state of 3.5 million people.xlolx
Seem's like every other year, a school add's sport's and move right up to D-1 status in Florida.
It won't hurt much at all. Do you
know how many high schools there are in state? There are probably more 6A and 5A schools than there are in the state of Mississippi.There's over 20 schools in Tampa alone. If UWF got a football team that would make 11 DI's. By comparison there are 11 in Louisiana, nobody is hurting for recruits.

Even if you count out of state schools getting players out of Florida, the effect on Florida schools won't be that bad.

FIU and FAU were the last schools to add football and they've been playing for about 8 years.

Lionsrking
February 17th, 2009, 07:01 PM
xlmaox

UWF would likely recruit Lower Alabama, South Georgia and the panhandle and there are more than enough athletes to go around...Pensacola is so isolated from the rest of the state that hardly anyone would notice.

813Jag
February 17th, 2009, 07:11 PM
UWF would likely recruit Lower Alabama, South Georgia and the panhandle and there are more than enough athletes to go around...Pensacola is so isolated from the rest of the state that hardly anyone would notice.
my point exactly and that part of the state isn't hurting for talent. I'm going to post some numbers to make the point clearer.

813Jag
February 18th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Just to help make my statement that adding one football school won't hurt the other Florida schools. This list shows the number of football playing high schools in the counties that contain the top 5 most populated cities:

Duval (Jacksonville) 27
Dade (Miami) 57
Hillsborough (Tampa) 32
Pinellas (St. Pete) 25
Orange (Orlando) 29

MplsBison
February 18th, 2009, 09:13 AM
They could probably do well in FCS just recruiting P'Cola and Fort Walton Beach.

813Jag
February 18th, 2009, 09:18 AM
They could probably do well in FCS just recruiting P'Cola and Fort Walton Beach.
That's the most sensible thing you've said in quite some time.

jstate83
February 18th, 2009, 10:24 AM
It won't hurt much at all. Do you
know how many high schools there are in state? There are probably more 6A and 5A schools than there are in the state of Mississippi.There's over 20 schools in Tampa alone. If UWF got a football team that would make 11 DI's. By comparison there are 11 in Louisiana, nobody is hurting for recruits.

Even if you count out of state schools getting players out of Florida, the effect on Florida schools won't be that bad.

FIU and FAU were the last schools to add football and they've been playing for about 8 years.

Dude.
Mississippi has 82 counties.
You know how many highschool's are within those counties from 1A to 5A NOT COUNTING PRIVATE SCHOOLS?
So many highschool's, Mississippi is adding 6A to the classification's for 2009.

Calloway, Murrah, Jim Hill, Jackson Provine, Jackson lanier, Jackson Wingfield, Forest Hill's, Jackson Alternative, Richland, Madison Central, Canton, Raymond, Clinton, St. Joseph, Baily.
Richland Academy, Jackson Prep, Jackson Academy and a few other's are private.
Those are just the large 4a and 5a school's in the Jackson area.

Go 10 miles out and you have Pearl, Brandon, Rankin, Terry, Raymond, Piney Woods, etc. xlolx

Pitbull
February 18th, 2009, 10:34 AM

xconfusedx xnonox

You can't be serious....

MplsBison
February 18th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Dude.
You know how many highschool's are within those counties from 1A to 5A NOT COUNTING PRIVATE SCHOOLS?
So many highschool's, Mississippi is adding 6A to the classification's for 2009.

Calloway, Murrah, Jim Hill, Jackson Provine, Jackson lanier, Jackson Wingfield, Forest Hill's, Jackson Alternative, Richland, Madison Central, Canton, Raymond, Clinton, St. Joseph, Baily.

Go 10 miles out and you have Pearl, Brandon, Rankin, Terry, Raymond, Piney Woods, etc. xlolx

Number of high schools probably isn't the correct measure as there are probably plenty of backwater public schools with 80 students in Miss.

Number of high school students would be the correct measure.

jcf5445
February 18th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Dude.

There are 264 members of the MHSAA, 246 of which currently play varsity football. The MPSA has 68 football playing schools in Mississippi. That's a total of 314 football playing schools in the state.

A couple of those schools you mentioned don't exist (Jackson Alternative = Bailey since the early 90s and what the heck is Richland Academy?) and one has never played football (Piney Woods).

jstate83
February 18th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Number of high schools probably isn't the correct measure as there are probably plenty of backwater public schools with 80 students in Miss.

Number of high school students would be the correct measure.

You sound like a product of a frozen backwater school.
I was hoping you fell back through that hole. xnonono2x

jstate83
February 18th, 2009, 11:07 AM
xconfusedx xnonox

You can't be serious....

Sad part about this is;
HE IS. xlmaox

nobody here claim's this guy.
he just comes in to see if he can stir up trouble.
That's why he posted the "ya'll don't play White school's" post.

jstate83
February 18th, 2009, 11:10 AM
There are 264 members of the MHSAA, 246 of which currently play varsity football. The MPSA has 68 football playing schools in Mississippi. That's a total of 314 football playing schools in the state.

A couple of those schools you mentioned don't exist (Jackson Alternative = Bailey since the early 90s and what the heck is Richland Academy?) and one has never played football (Piney Woods).

If ya'll would spend more time on the message instead of trying to tell me what is and is not, then thing's would go easier. xlolx
jackson Alternative/baily...................School's change but people still call them by the original.

As for Piney woods............I'm talking all atheletes.
Not just damm football.
Please open your mind in months not named September, October, November. xlolx

So I said richland instead of ridgeland. (http://www.mrapats.com/)
MRA.............madison RiDgeland Academy.
you went through all the work to find the numbers and 1 school that was nammed wrong, you could have easily found out what Richland ment.
And since you doing investigative work, throw in Ridgeland titans. (http://http://www.rhstitans.com/)

Some of ya'll try to be too damm smart for your own good.xlolx

813Jag
February 18th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I'm not trying to start a who has more arguement but there are 496 football playing high schools in Florida. UWF would be a drop in the bucket with those numbers.

6A - 81 schools
5A - 83 schools
4A - 81 schools
3A - 83 schools
2A - 40 schools
2B - 37 schools
1A - 42 schools
1B - 39 schools

813Jag
February 18th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Dude.

I'm not exaggerating but there are almost as many 6A schools in Miami as there are in the whole state of Mississippi. (30 Mia - 32 Mississippi). And that's based on this link (http://www.misshsaa.com/Divisions%20for%202009-2010/FB-Bsk%20Regions%202009-201111.doc) from the Mississippi High School Athletic Association.

jstate83
February 18th, 2009, 12:06 PM
OK people.xnonono2x
I just made a comment about watered down talent within a state and it's become a federal case pitting Mississippi and Florida.xlolx

far as I'm concerened, Florida can bump every school up that they have and add 20 more D1 universities.
Not my money, not my state. xlolx

813Jag
February 18th, 2009, 12:10 PM
OK people.xnonono2x
I just made a comment about watered down talent within a state and it's become a federal case pitting Mississippi and Florida.xlolx

far as I'm concerened, Florida can bump every school up that they have and add 20 more D1 universities.
Not my money, not my state. xlolx
my statement was NOT to say which was better. It was to show why Florida schools wouldn't be hurt by West Florida adding football. (Which they probably won't)

blackcaesar3k5
February 18th, 2009, 08:30 PM
MPlsBison: Kids in the P'cola and Fort Walton Beach are trying their best get out of redneck paradise....

gr8ness97
February 18th, 2009, 09:32 PM
MPlsBison: Kids in the P'cola and Fort Walton Beach are trying their best get out of redneck paradise....

Got that right. Every local I run into here want out lolz...

Prob right. On the Sign for I-10 going east from Pensacola says "Tallahassee"....and thats 200 miles and 20 exits away

MplsBison
February 18th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Does anyone know if there is a nationwide standard for what a "_A" school means?

For example, Illinois has classes all the way up to 8A where as Minnesota only goes up to 5A.

gr8ness97
February 18th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I dont think so.

NC has A and AA classes. 1A/AA to 4A/AA

813Jag
February 19th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Does anyone know if there is a nationwide standard for what a "_A" school means?

For example, Illinois has classes all the way up to 8A where as Minnesota only goes up to 5A.
It all depends on the enrollment of schools in each state. In Florida it goes like this:

6A: 2584-4742
5A: 2055-2583
4A: 1708-2054
3A: 1067-1707
2A: 617-1066
2B: 411-616
1A: 233-410
1B: 50-232

nwFL Griz
February 19th, 2009, 07:21 AM

I dont think so.

NC has A and AA classes. 1A/AA to 4A/AA

There's no nationwide standard. Growing up in Montana, class AA was the highest, and we had a larger school than all the 4A in this area (FWB).

UAalum72
February 19th, 2009, 08:16 AM
New York runs from Class D up to AA

Class AA 1051 & up
Class A 626-1050
Class B 441-625
Class C 276-440
Class D 0-275

UCAMonkey
February 19th, 2009, 09:00 AM
I just don't think the community really supports the UWF all that great. Their attendance isn't that great in any of their sports.

They already compete for support with Pensecola Community College (20,000 enrollment) and U. South Alabama is starting their football program less than an hour away.

I don't think it is a question of whether their is enough talent in the area rather than community support. They are located at the crossroads of so many D1 schools that if they were to go independent they would have a bunch of scheduling options but that is pretty risky.

mizzoufan1
February 19th, 2009, 11:55 AM
It all depends on the enrollment of schools in each state. In Florida it goes like this:

Missouri has different classification systems for different sports (6 for Football; 5 for basketball; 4 for wrestling, baseball, cross country, track & field, golf, softball, volleyball; 3 for boys soccer; 2 for girls soccer, tennis; 1 for swimming & diving; girls field hockey, girls lacrosse) So which one do you want?

813Jag
February 19th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Missouri has different classification systems for different sports (6 for Football; 5 for basketball; 4 for wrestling, baseball, cross country, track & field, golf, softball, volleyball; 3 for boys soccer; 2 for girls soccer, tennis; 1 for swimming & diving; girls field hockey, girls lacrosse) So which one do you want?
I guess football. xlolx

MplsBison
February 19th, 2009, 12:37 PM

4742 9th-12th graders converge at a single building 5 straight days a week?

It's hard to believe that.

And if it is true, that's sick.

chrisattsu
February 21st, 2009, 10:44 AM
4742 9th-12th graders converge at a single building 5 straight days a week?

It's hard to believe that.

And if it is true, that's sick.

Doesn't surprise me. I know in some parts of Texas, there are cities that can support multiple high schools but they choose to have one mega school for a better chance at the State Championship

McTailGator
February 21st, 2009, 11:42 AM
Well, they didn't play football and I simply do not remember that much about them in the other sports.

It would be an easy trip from LR, for you guy.s

Southwest Airlines to New Orleans and then drive 2 hrs east on I-10.

I'd like the exposure to the east, but I would want Texas St. gone first. Too many schools make good scheduling difficult.

kperk014
February 25th, 2009, 05:50 PM
As a UNA fan, I don't want UWF to play football period. We've always gotten good talent from that area and I would hate to lose it.

MplsBison
February 25th, 2009, 06:21 PM
As a UNA fan, I don't want UWF to play football period. We've always gotten good talent from that area and I would hate to lose it.

As long as the number of college teams is less than the number of high school teams, then there is no problem.