PDA

View Full Version : New Stadiums-whose first?

Wildcat80
February 1st, 2009, 10:45 AM
New Hampshire's still awaiting a major donor/state money. In capital budget but no timeline set. Until economy recovers doubtful. Will we get ours before-Richmond? Rhode Island? Northeastern? UNCC?

Brad82
February 1st, 2009, 01:23 PM
all going real slow-I bet.
Bad timing.
Rhody's raised about half the needed $$.

bluehenbillk
February 1st, 2009, 03:26 PM
Put it this way, if a school doesn't have the $$$ 100% in place at this time, the answer is they're all put on hold indefinitely.

JayJ79
February 1st, 2009, 03:34 PM
speaking of new stadiums,
how are things coming along at Southern Illinois?

89Hen
February 1st, 2009, 03:35 PM
Richmond will beat you, but URI will never build a new stadium, nor will NU. Just MHO.

slycat
February 1st, 2009, 03:41 PM
Texas State is currently working on Phase I of their stadium expansion. This phase will add new press/luxury boxes. Should be done by end of 2009.

Phase II will add about 8500 news seats. Hopefully this will start construction after the 2009 season as planned.

More phases are planned; including removing the track, and adding more and more seats. This is in hopes of a move to FBS. If such a move never happens then it will be interesting to see where they stop.

slostang
February 1st, 2009, 05:07 PM
UC Davis is playing in a two year old stadium.

ASU
February 1st, 2009, 07:35 PM
Appalachian should have their new 7 story 125,000 Square Feet.....West Stands, Club Seats, Press Box, weight room, offices, etc building done by the time McNeese comes to Boone.

paward
February 1st, 2009, 09:16 PM
Richmond is already a work in progress. First game against Elon 2010.

DTSpider
February 1st, 2009, 10:04 PM
Richmond had the money 100% raised back in 2005. Red tape has seen this thing delayed forever. Construction has started and appears to be on-track for a 2010 opening.

Redbirdz
February 1st, 2009, 10:12 PM
Jacksonville State has already begun work on a seven-story expansion with 33 skyboxes bringing seating to 24,000. It will be ready by the opening game with Chattanooga in 2010.

Cocky
February 1st, 2009, 10:18 PM
Jacksonville State has already begun work on a seven-story expansion with 33 skyboxes bringing seating to 24,000. It will be ready by the opening game with Chattanooga in 2010.

The last info I saw had the number at 26,000.

mainejeff
February 1st, 2009, 11:24 PM
Richmond will beat you, but URI will never build a new stadium, nor will NU. Just MHO.

Agreed.

JmuSkinsfan
February 2nd, 2009, 12:06 AM
JMU had a lot of the money already in place over the summer before this economic downturn really hit. I'm sure they'll have it in place on schedule...which will be complete in 2012 with 25,000 seats roughly...the other phases are a big ?? at this point

Dawg2Rhody
February 2nd, 2009, 07:42 AM
Delware will get one- the old guard fans will huff and puff and blow the current one down. Just MHO.

89Hen
February 2nd, 2009, 08:10 AM
Delware will get one- the old guard fans will huff and puff and blow the current one down. Just MHO.
We will get one eventually. Renovating doesn't make any sense IMO.

appfan2008
February 2nd, 2009, 09:47 AM
asu's work is moving right along and will be ready next season as already stated but im excited!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 2nd, 2009, 10:06 AM

Agreed.

Just curious if you'd consider URI replacing their East stands with new stands as "a new stadium"? I ask because if they do that, improve the field and install lights, they would have very, very nice facilities. The new stands that connect to the Ryan Center are terrific. They utilize the concession stands and bathrooms inside the Ryan Center as well as having locker rooms for the teams. It'll never be a 20K+ venue, but it provide excellent facilities without a start from scratch new stadium.

3rd Coast Tiger
February 2nd, 2009, 10:07 AM
Texas State is currently working on Phase I of their stadium expansion. This phase will add new press/luxury boxes. Should be done by end of 2009.

Phase II will add about 8500 news seats. Hopefully this will start construction after the 2009 season as planned.

More phases are planned; including removing the track, and adding more and more seats. This is in hopes of a move to FBS. If such a move never happens then it will be interesting to see where they stop.

Something's wrong! Has anyone checked on TexasTerror? xeekx

bostonspider
February 2nd, 2009, 10:50 AM
Just curious if you'd consider URI replacing their East stands with new stands as "a new stadium"? I ask because if they do that, improve the field and install lights, they would have very, very nice facilities. The new stands that connect to the Ryan Center are terrific. They utilize the concession stands and bathrooms inside the Ryan Center as well as having locker rooms for the teams. It'll never be a 20K+ venue, but it provide excellent facilities without a start from scratch new stadium.

The West Stands are very very nice. If URI were to tear down the East Stands and replace them with a modern 5 or 6K seat grandstand with press box, they would have a nice smaller stadium.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/42/MeadeStadium1.jpg/800px-MeadeStadium1.jpg

89Hen
February 2nd, 2009, 11:17 AM
Just curious if you'd consider URI replacing their East stands with new stands as "a new stadium"?
Depends on what they do to replace them. If they just erected new, big bleachers then I'd say no. I understand that they did the most cost effective thing by using the Ryan Center to serve dual purpose, but that's really not a new football stadium. Delaware built a new arena at the end of the Tub and use it for football player/coaches facilities, but it in no way is it a new stadium. IMHO a new stadium would be a facility that is pretty much self-contained and serves outdoor sports. xpeacex

bostonspider
February 2nd, 2009, 11:57 AM
Well if URI built new East Stands, and then enclosed the north endzone with stands as has been rumored and added lights, I would think that would count as a new stadium, even if the field is still in the same location it has always been. All the stands would be completely new. It would be like Stanford's new stadium. Same location, but new stadium.

Touchdown Yosef
February 2nd, 2009, 12:52 PM
I would take Charlotte off that list, I think they will start by playing in a city owned stadium in Charlotte (memorial) to save money as they get started. Just my thoughts.

bostonspider
February 2nd, 2009, 01:58 PM
I think UR will be next with a "new" stadium. Richmond football is scheduled in 2010 to play on campus for the first time since the 1920's. Though the location of the field will be a traditional one, the old stadium, which eventually became the soccer field. Therefore the field and track are already there and ready to go with the new stands and surrounding site work just now under construction. So it will have a track, and it will be on the small side, just under 9,000 seats, but most importantly it will be on campus, designed to blend beautifully with the historic collegiate gothic architecture of UR, and be new and filled with all the ammenities and action that will bring hopefully more fans home to Richmond.

http://www.travelserver.net/travelpage/aspgallery/pictures/Ad_3141_14.jpg

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 2nd, 2009, 04:02 PM
Depends on what they do to replace them. If they just erected new, big bleachers then I'd say no. I understand that they did the most cost effective thing by using the Ryan Center to serve dual purpose, but that's really not a new football stadium. Delaware built a new arena at the end of the Tub and use it for football player/coaches facilities, but it in no way is it a new stadium. IMHO a new stadium would be a facility that is pretty much self-contained and serves outdoor sports. xpeacex

Not trying to hassle you, just want to understand your definition of new stadium. So, based on your definition then I agree that Rhody will never see a new stadium. :p But they can make modifications to their existing stadium that will work out for them just as well as a new stadium IMHO. Realistically, new stands on the east side along with some added in the north end zone is probably the most one could realistically expect. Hoop is king in Kingston and from what Cobblestone says, money is extremely tight there as well as in most parts of the country.

89Hen
February 2nd, 2009, 04:06 PM
Not trying to hassle you, just want to understand your definition of new stadium. So, based on your definition then I agree that Rhody will never see a new stadium. :p
Not really. Press box, luxury box, kids area, etc..... these are all things that IF they did on the replacement side would constitute a new stadium in my book. If they instead just replace the existing side with seats and use the Ryan for everything else.... nope. They got a new arena with stadium seating, not a new stadium. But that's JMHO. xpeacex

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 2nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
New Hampshire's still awaiting a major donor/state money. In capital budget but no timeline set. Until economy recovers doubtful. Will we get ours before-Richmond? Rhode Island? Northeastern? UNCC?

New Hampshire is still waiting for multiple major donors and a few corporate sponsors. Then some chump change from the state will be thrown in might be the more accurate view as I understand things.

UNH has the land, according to Husky Alum Northeastern has the money, I believe URI is like UNH with the land rather than the money. I don't know the URI landscape well enough to know if they'll raise the money before UNH. As I understand it, Northeastern can't get anything built as long as Mayor Mumbles is in office.

I propose a merger between UNH and Northeastern. The football team would reside in Durham and the combined strength of land and money builds a new stadium. The basketball team would most certainly reside in Boston. A deal is struck with Amtrak to offer sweet deals on the Northeaster to allow students to travel between campuses. Maybe even throw some cash into upgrading the rail infrastructure to allow faster trips and more frequency. Now for the deal breaker, what do we do about ice hockey? xwhistlex Husky Alum and I will confer and report back!! ;)

xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 2nd, 2009, 04:34 PM
Not really. Press box, luxury box, kids area, etc..... these are all things that IF they did on the replacement side would constitute a new stadium in my book. If they instead just replace the existing side with seats and use the Ryan for everything else.... nope. They got a new arena with stadium seating, not a new stadium. But that's JMHO. xpeacex

IIRC, the press box at Meade is atop those East Stands so that would have to be replaced. All I'm saying is that new stands on the East side, new stands on the north, lights and a new playing surface might be all that is realistic at URI. And even if they don't get what is universally viewed as a new stadium, it would still be a great enhancement for them.

R3TRO
February 2nd, 2009, 06:10 PM

Based on what you are saying here, UNH should just put modern stands around Memorial field, change it to field turf and attach it to the Whit so, we too, can utilize the indoor concessions and facilities.

Move the field hockey & lacrosse teams to Cowell....

This way we have a stadium, minus the surrounding track, adequate concessions and bathrooms, lighting already in place, and it would likely cost a lot less than building a whole new stadium and cutting into college woods.

All tailgating can be done in A Lot with spill-over parking on Boulder field. (A Lot has 2 entrances which will cut back on traffic) Problem solved, crisis averted.

danefan
February 2nd, 2009, 06:16 PM
Based on what you are saying here, UNH should just put modern stands around Memorial field, change it to field turf and attach it to the Whit so, we too, can utilize the indoor concessions and facilities.

This way we have a stadium, minus the surrounding track, adequate concessions and bathrooms, lighting already in place, and the it would likely cost a lot less than building a whole new stadium and cutting into college woods.

That is exactly what the debate at Albany is right now as well (at least with alumni).

Wait to get $40-50 million to build a brand new facility or spend $15-20 and renovate the existing structure, attach it to an already existing building, and update that building to be used for multiple sports.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 2nd, 2009, 06:51 PM

This way we have a stadium, minus the surrounding track, adequate concessions and bathrooms, lighting already in place, and it would likely cost a lot less than building a whole new stadium and cutting into college woods.

All tailgating can be done in A Lot with spill-over parking on Boulder field. (A Lot has 2 entrances which will cut back on traffic) Problem solved, crisis averted.

I wish it was that easy, but I don't think the footprint is there (Memorial) for the capacity we'd want for football. And I'm not sure it could be built now to tie into the Whitt. Maybe the Whitt needs to be a tad farther North and/or a little taller. Not sure how deep the football field could be sunk without water issues? Ryan was also designed so that the concessions and facilities can be used by football while the basketball court is still closed off from the public. That obviously isn't the case at the Whitt where you step right into the concourse above the hockey rink. I believe the Ryan Center was built with the link to Meade Stadium in mind from day one.

Indirectly, I guess I'm saying it was too bad that nobody had the vision back in the early 90's to design the Whitt to be part of the football stadium complex. You know rebuild the track around Memorial Field, put the Whitt behind a new South Grandstand at Cowell. Yeah, probably have to take some of College Woods, but shoot there are acres and acres of woods on university land. Or maybe a new football/hockey/basketball complex gets built out farther West on university property? Both locations on the west side of the railroad tracks would allow better access than the Whitt has today. And the farther west you go, the more parking that could have been provided and the easier it would have been to upgrade access to US 4. IIRC, a lot of things out there today didn't exist in the mid 90's.

Alas, nobody had that kind of foresight back then. Look at when wrestling, men's lacrosse and baseball were eliminated. It's no coincidence. Women's sports and hockey ruled the roost back then IMHO.

89Hen
February 3rd, 2009, 08:25 AM
the capacity we'd want for football.
What do you think that number should be?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 3rd, 2009, 10:22 AM
What do you think that number should be?

My opinion is that it should be a minimum of 15K with 17-18K optimum. Not everybody agrees with that, and I know all about the empty seats look lousy theory. I understand that concern, but IMHO you also need to be able to handle your peak crowds. We had 13K at Homecoming this past year vs. William & Mary (11K in 2007 vs. Iona xeekx and 13K in 2006 vs. JMU) and there is no question in my mind there were thousands more who didn't bother to enter the stadium (hence not counted in the attendance figure). The access into Durham was horrendous, gridlock three hours before kickoff. There are now thousands of people completely pissed off and vowing to never to return. I just think you've got to be able to handle demand on your most important day -- Homecoming.

Other reasons for that number in no particular order:

Cowell is also the site of graduation. A couple of years ago they squeezed 22K people into Cowell (lots of folding chairs on the gridiron)!! And they had a couple thousand more watching a video feed in the hockey arena.
UNH is a larger school and has more alumni today then in the 70's and 80's. Cowell had a capacity of around 13K back then. We should have more seats today.
UNH averaged around 10K back in the late 70's and 80's. Consistently had 11-13K for Homecoming. Got to think with the interest generated these past five years and more students and alumni that a higher attendance average is feasible.
Our AD has acknowledged that attracting 15K for a Saturday night game is realistic.
Cowell was built during the 30's. I think it is a pretty safe bet to say that whatever new facility is built, it's going to be with us for a long time. I think you have to think ahead and plan for some growth.
Cowell will become the site for the HS State Championships in football, field hockey, soccer and lacrosse. In basketball the demand is far greater than the capacity at UNH.
I attended both playoff games in 2005 and IMO the crowds weren't much different than those 13K homecoming games. That many people attended knowing that almost half of them weren't going to get seats! I truly believe that demand would be even higher if more seats were available. I'm amazed at how often UNH has over capacity crowds, but I think they've reached a threshold.
UNH needs the revenue that many seats could generate and a large capacity would be great incentive to have strong marketing to attract people to Cowell.

89Hen
February 3rd, 2009, 10:33 AM
My opinion is that it should be a minimum of 15K with 17-18K optimum. Not everybody agrees with that, and I know all about the empty seats look lousy theory. I understand that concern, but IMHO you also need to be able to handle your peak crowds.
It is tough to guess the number. Having the availability to add some people for peak crowds while keeping the permanent seats full is the key IMO. It's really not the empty seats, it's the demand creates demand theory for me. If it gets a little tough to get seats, you sell more season tix. If you sell more season tix, you create more excitement and your smaller crowd numbers increase.

R3TRO
February 3rd, 2009, 12:24 PM
Here's a nice pic from the 2007 UNH graduation at Cowell

https://www.alumni.unh.edu/connection/images/05_25_07/clinton_bush.jpg

Story Here.... estimated 22,000 (http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=2+Presidents%2C+147+officers %2C+0+glitches&articleId=8729b8d5-0dff-492d-84bb-b77f1c611c62)

Brad82
February 3rd, 2009, 05:59 PM
I like the concept of Rhody doing it piece-meal.
West-stands first (done),east stands second,lights third and then field turf.
No one else likes the piece- meal approach.

Husky Alum
February 3rd, 2009, 08:48 PM
Agreed.

NU may not build something new, but we may have a new football home in 2-3 years if some folks at NU get their way.

89Hen
February 4th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I like the concept of Rhody doing it piece-meal.
West-stands first (done),east stands second,lights third and then field turf.
No one else likes the piece- meal approach.
Not true. JMU is doing that. They did the endzone complex, then the field, next is the south side... xpeacex

houtexan
February 5th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Lamar University plans to finally issue bonds at the beginning of March. Plans are to start with the field turf and the new end-zone athletic complex and bidding for stadium renovations. None of the details have been released publicly yet aside from a few conceptual drawings...hopefully we'll see something of substance in early March.

slycat
February 5th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Lamar University plans to finally issue bonds at the beginning of March. Plans are to start with the field turf and the new end-zone athletic complex and bidding for stadium renovations. None of the details have been released publicly yet aside from a few conceptual drawings...hopefully we'll see something of substance in early March.

I was wondering about y'alls stadium situation. Do you have any of the concept drawings to post?

centexguy
February 5th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Here's what the new 42,000 square foot athletic complex that will be at the south end of the stadium will look like:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3092/2849166628_07164f84c4.jpg?v=0

The stadium will be named Provost Umphrey Stadium after a $4 million donation from the Provost Umphrey law firm and Walter Umphrey. Here's an early drawing of the stadium:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3441/3257376078_9bc10e548b.jpg?v=0

The entrance gates will look something like this:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3458/3256546027_7a9dbb4257.jpg?v=0

And finally, the new helmet:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3377/3256546323_dd2348205f.jpg?v=0

Like HouTexan said, they'll issue bonds in March and first put in the field turf. They are also building a new soccer facility since the football stadium will no longer be available to the ladies soccer team. The board of regents recently approved Lamar to spend almost $26 million for the new field house and stadium renovations, plus another $3.7 million for a soccer field and field house.