PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Potentially Losing a Team?

CollegeSportsInfo
January 29th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Anyone else know anything about this "rumor"?

Since it was Idaho State interim AD Jeff Tingley who said ,"one school in the Big Sky Conference is weighing whether to drop football entirely" in the article, I have to figure there should be some info out there.

http://collegesportsinfo.com/blog/2009/01/big-sky-to-lose-football-member.html
http://www.idahostatesman.com/244/story/649393.html

UNHWildCats
January 29th, 2009, 07:29 PM
so who would be the likely candidates?

already123
January 29th, 2009, 07:39 PM
well, i wouldnt argue against it...

GrizFamily
January 29th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I don't believe it. To much hearsay.

Silenoz
January 29th, 2009, 08:03 PM
so who would be the likely candidates?

I would assume Sac or ISU

ASU
January 29th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I would assume Sac or ISUCOULD BE MONTANA STATE.....maybe all their players are currently in jail.

UNHWildCats
January 29th, 2009, 08:17 PM
dbackjon said Arizona wants to cut hundreads of millions from its universities, with that info I think we can put NAU at the top of the speculation list

UNHWildCats
January 29th, 2009, 08:19 PM
wont be ISU, not considering the source and the fact that the article talks about them taking the Oklahoma game to save the athletic department from having to cut a sport.

chrisattsu
January 29th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Well didn't Western Washington do the same thing not to long ago?

MplsBison
January 29th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Well didn't Western Washington do the same thing not to long ago?

Eastern could drop football?

catbob
January 29th, 2009, 08:51 PM
COULD BE MONTANA STATE.....maybe all their players are currently in jail.

Can you name how many persons involved in the crimes you are talking about were actually a member of the football team when it happened?

No?

1. Andre Fuller. The rest had already graduated or had been removed from the team.

But you're right, I suppose we should probably just drop the whole program.

eagle1
January 29th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Eastern cant drop football and still stay D1. They have the minimum amount of sports required for D1 status (14). Go Eagles!!!

MplsBison
January 29th, 2009, 09:11 PM
They could always hook up with Central and Western in the GNAC.

CollegeSportsInfo
January 29th, 2009, 10:19 PM

Based on the quote and the article, I don't think it was Idaho St. My first thoughts were Eastern Washington, but only based on the budget issues with some of the state schools...we just saw Western Washington drop football a couple weeks ago.

CollegeSportsInfo
January 29th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Based on the quote and the article, I don't think it was Idaho St. My first thoughts were Eastern Washington, but only based on the budget issues with some of the state schools...we just saw Western Washington drop football a couple weeks ago.

lol, nevermind

CrazyCat
January 29th, 2009, 10:51 PM
dbackjon said Arizona wants to cut hundreads of millions from its universities, with that info I think we can put NAU at the top of the speculation list

I was reading the Big Sky Conference blog and there is a comment by NAU FAN

What's going to happen to the conference if NAU suspends their football program? Are any other schools in the BIG SKY conference going to suspense their program due to budget problems.

Any teams out there needed quality players, NAU has a slew of them.

http://bigskyconference.blogspot.com/2009/01/isu-to-take-on-sooners.html

Lehigh Football Nation
January 29th, 2009, 10:59 PM
There are a slew of possible candidates - Weber State (might have APR difficulties), Sac State (ditto), Northern Colorado (maybe D-I wasn't right for them), EWU (state in crisis - see Western Washington), maybe NAU... I think the state flagships (Montana, MSU, ISU) ought to be OK, and I'm assuming Portland State won't be going anywhere either. But I could see any of the other five as possibilities...

PantherRob82
January 29th, 2009, 11:08 PM

I don't think it's Idaho State. The way he says it implies someone else.

CatFan22
January 29th, 2009, 11:09 PM
My bets are on Sac St.

DuckDuckGriz
January 29th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Imagine if Montana pulled a fast one and dropped football. Jesus they'd need to dispatch the national guard to Missoula.

PantherRob82
January 29th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Eastern cant drop football and still stay D1. They have the minimum amount of sports required for D1 status (14). Go Eagles!!!

they could drop football and add a cheaper sport.

uofmman1122
January 29th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Imagine if Montana pulled a fast one and dropped football. Jesus they'd need to dispatch the national guard to Missoula.It's a long fall from my fourth story dorm room....But I think I could survive. :(

xlolx

catbob
January 30th, 2009, 12:25 AM
I was thinking maybe Northern Colorado... they have done pretty terrible since the jump up, especially since joining the Sky. NAU seems to have a decent fanbase but I don't know how the budget situation is. I wouldn't think Sac would after announcing that sports complex.

eagle1
January 30th, 2009, 12:33 AM
I have heard that the budget cuts that NAU is facing through the State of Arizona is huge so I woud think that it may be NAU. Go Eags!!!

mainejeff
January 30th, 2009, 01:10 AM
My guess is Northern Arizona.

CopperCat
January 30th, 2009, 05:05 AM
COULD BE MONTANA STATE.....maybe all their players are currently in jail.

Maybe YOU should be in jail for making such a stupid comment.

Seriously, drop it. MSU is doing alot better than a good portion of other FCS programs out there. Quit making the ASU fanbase look bad with stuff like this.

MplsBison
January 30th, 2009, 08:29 AM
So I guess it could be Northern Ariz. dropping football.

Does the Big Sky add Southern Utah? Please? Take them out of the Summit League for us, that'd be greaaaaat.

Green Cookie Monster
January 30th, 2009, 08:55 AM

You know what they say about assume.....

Sac just built a $11M football fieldhouse and has a $13M athletic budget. Look at the schools who have sub $8M budgets.

I'd say NAU, the President's budget has a $1M-8M cut to athletics.
http://www4.nau.edu/president/Jan20090128.pdf

Eaglegus2
January 30th, 2009, 09:11 AM
What's going to happen to the conference if NAU suspends their football program? Are any other schools in the BIG SKY conference going to suspense their program due to budget problems.

Any teams out there needed quality players, NAU has a slew of them.

If they are looking for warm weather have them contact Georgia Southern. Especially, big OL & DL players.xthumbsupxxsmiley_wixxlolxxlolx:D

appfan2008
January 30th, 2009, 09:41 AM
I am enjoying reading all this speculation... seems that the consensus is NSU but EWU seems to be the second choice...

Ronbo
January 30th, 2009, 10:18 AM
I think if a school dropped out the Big Sky would stay at 8 teams. I believe that's what Montana would vote for. That would allow an extra home and home with an OOC school and an occasional FBS game. The addition of UNC caused us to only schedule 1 OOC game away each year to prevent 5 home and 6 away games, which is unacceptable.

MplsBison
January 30th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I think if a school dropped out the Big Sky would stay at 8 teams. I believe that's what Montana would vote for. That would allow an extra home and home with an OOC school and an occasional FBS game. The addition of UNC caused us to only schedule 1 OOC game away each year to prevent 5 home and 6 away games, which is unacceptable.

And we know the Big Sky could care less what Montana wants (west coast schools preventing NDSU/SDSU from joining at the request of Montana schools).

Come on! Add Souther Utah!! They're a great program!

CrazyCat
January 30th, 2009, 11:40 AM
And we know the Big Sky could care less what Montana wants (west coast schools preventing NDSU/SDSU from joining at the request of Montana schools).

If both Montana schools did not want them then why did they both vote yes to include NDSU/SDSU? The Big Sky must have a meeting and then MSU and UM get together at a super-secret meeting and decide everything.

PantherRob82
January 30th, 2009, 12:32 PM
If both Montana schools did not want them then why did they both vote yes to include NDSU/SDSU? The Big Sky must have a meeting and then MSU and UM get together at a super-secret meeting and decide everything.

You should actually read MplsBison's post. For once he's right.

catdaddy2402
January 30th, 2009, 12:49 PM

Our lesson for today is reading comprehension.

Pretty sure if you go back and read what he posted you'll see that he said it was the west coast schools keeping out the XDSU's despite UM and MSU supporting them.

CrazyCat
January 30th, 2009, 12:49 PM
You should actually read MplsBison's post. For once he's right.

Ok it took me a couple times but :o

slostang
January 30th, 2009, 01:05 PM
If the NAU drops football, how about taking Cal Poly on as a football only member?

CatFan22
January 30th, 2009, 01:13 PM
If the NAU drops football, how about taking Cal Poly on as a football only member?

Fullerton wouldn't do that.

DuckDuckGriz
January 30th, 2009, 01:15 PM

The rumor that the Dakota schools didn't join at the request of the Montana schools is 100% false, has been proven so, and you know it. I'm surprised a Bison fan is attempting this one again, I thought it was beaten into the ground.

MplsBison
January 30th, 2009, 01:15 PM

Assuming NAU is kicked out as a non football member, then this could happen.

If NAU stays as a basketball member then the Big Sky will probably look for another full member to put the league at 10 teams, 9 football playing schools.

MplsBison
January 30th, 2009, 01:16 PM
The rumor that the Dakota schools didn't join at the request of the Montana schools is 100% false, has been proven so, and you know it. I'm surprised a Bison fan is attempting this one again, I thought it was beaten into the ground.

The Montana schools wanted the Dakota schools in and the west coast schools said no.

slostang
January 30th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Fullerton wouldn't do that.

Why? I think that having Cal Poly playing football in the Big Sky would be good for both Cal Poly and the Big Sky.

CatFan22
January 30th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Why? I think that having Cal Poly playing football in the Big Sky would be good for both Cal Poly and the Big Sky.

Football, yes. But Fullerton wouldn't take a school for just that sport. He wants a school with both DI football and basketball.

CatFan22
January 30th, 2009, 01:38 PM
The Montana schools wanted the Dakota schools in and the west coast schools said no.

Which is what it was. You said it was by the request of the Montana schools.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 30th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Some supporting evidence for NAU possibly dropping football:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dawn-teo/napolitano-departs-az-gop_b_160520.html

Although Brewer has said little about her strategy to meet the budget shortfall, Republican leaders in both the House and Senate have proposed plans that would dramatically alter public education in the state of Arizona.

Senate Appropriations Committee Chair Russell Pearce (R-18) and Arizona House Appropriation Committee Chair John Kavanagh (R-8) are leading a charge for massive cuts in public education across Arizona. The Pearce-Kavanagh proposal includes $631 million cut from the Arizona university system over 18 months...

The state budget shortfall is $1.6 billion for the 2009 fiscal year (July 2008 - June 2009) and more than $3 billion for the 2010 fiscal year (July 2009 - June 2010). Under the Pearce-Kavanagh proposal, roughly two-thirds of the money needed to meet the shortfall would be extracted from the universities. The rest of the cutbacks are primarily to elementary and secondary education and health care.

The proposed cuts to Arizona State University are so dramatic that they would permanently alter the structure of the university, which as one of the largest universities in the country, ASU employs 12,000 people (8,000 full-time, 4,000 part-time) and has 67,000 students. ASU President Michael Crow noted that it is difficult for most people to imagine the scale of the cutbacks proposed for the university:

"We could eliminate the nursing school, the journalism school, the law school and the engineering school and still not meet these [budget] cuts."

A budget facts page on the ASU website explains:

"The percentages quoted by some state legislators are based on a total budget that includes hundreds of millions of dollars in federal research funding as well as book store and meal plan purchases and even football ticket sales. ASU's research enterprise and its ancillary operations from the bookstore to the football team are - and must be - financially self-sufficient and in fact, these activities subsidize a substantial portion of the instructional budget.

"If ASU were to close its dormitories and bookstore and stop doing federally funded research and stop playing football, the revenue associated with those activities would also end. So, it is a fiction that ASU has other revenue that could begin to replace the loss of state revenue."

Northern Arizona University President John Haeger says the Pearce-Kavanagh proposal would also force NAU to cut many academic degree programs and close satellite campuses. Both NAU and ASU representatives say tuition would increase substantially. Crow says ASU could be forced to raise tuition to as much as $11,000.

Troubled times in Arizona, with politics stepping right in to make matters much, much worse. Just looking this over makes it pretty clear (IMO) that it's NAU that's in trouble.

Big Al
January 30th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Which is what it was. You said it was by the request of the Montana schools.

You misread his original post.

CatFan22
January 30th, 2009, 01:51 PM
You misread his original post.

It would appear I wasn't the only one. So, explain then, please. No need to for 4 more posts to get an answer.

FargoBison
January 30th, 2009, 02:02 PM
So what happens to NAU if they drop football? Does the Big Sky give them the boot or not?

Big Al
January 30th, 2009, 02:06 PM
It would appear I wasn't the only one. So, explain then, please. No need to for 4 more posts to get an answer.

The other schools voted down the Montana universitys request to add the xDSU schools.

NoCoDanny
January 30th, 2009, 02:25 PM
It's too bad every Big Sky thread has to turn into a North Dakota State pissing match. They got in the perfect conference for them so not sure why this still comes up 5 years later.

Anyway, on topic, when I first read the article I first thought Portland just because they don't even have a football facilty to maintain so pretty simple there... then I thought maybe Sac, it's not like most of the schools in the California State system haven't already done this...

But the more I read it looks like NAU... hmmmm

CatFan22
January 30th, 2009, 02:29 PM
The other schools voted down the Montana universitys request to add the xDSU schools.

Thank you.

saccat
January 30th, 2009, 02:43 PM

I don't want Cal-ploy in...I still have nightmares from every time we played them.;)

BisonBacker
January 30th, 2009, 02:51 PM

He's no Bison fan xnonox

MplsBison
January 30th, 2009, 03:33 PM
He's no Bison fan xnonox

Do you have season football tickets? I do.

BisonBacker
January 30th, 2009, 04:12 PM

Do you have season football tickets? I do.

Suite 19 thank you very much

coover
January 30th, 2009, 04:40 PM

They could drop football and add women's knitting!

coover
January 30th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I don't want Cal-ploy in...I still have nightmares from every time we played them.;)

And the nightmares will continue if your AD decides to play them again!

By the way, I understand that you have, somehow in your childish mind, figured that "Cal-ploy" is an insult. Can you tell me how it is an insult? I guess, as a Cal Poly graduate, I may not be smart enough to understand, but please, I do need enlightenment.

Of course, I do understand how using simply "Cal State Sacramento" is insulting enough, but ...

saccat
January 30th, 2009, 05:23 PM
And the nightmares will continue if your AD decides to play them again!

By the way, I understand that you have, somehow in your childish mind, figured that "Cal-ploy" is an insult. Can you tell me how it is an insult? I guess, as a Cal Poly graduate, I may not be smart enough to understand, but please, I do need enlightenment.

Of course, I do understand how using simply "Cal State Sacramento" is insulting enough, but ...

I wasn't making a joke at all...I accidentally put the dash in there...Sorry to offend you, that wasn't the point at all.

Green Cookie Monster
January 30th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Their official name is California Polytechic State University, San Luis Obispo.

CrazyCat
January 30th, 2009, 05:33 PM
First there was a lack of comprehension, now there is spelling. I really hope there isn't any math.:D

coover
January 30th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I wasn't making a joke at all...I accidentally put the dash in there...Sorry to offend you, that wasn't the point at all.

Can't spell, too. Well, that's Cal State Sacramento.

By the way ... hope to meet you on the football field. I sincerely hope that CSS isn't the one to lose their football program. The only advantage to thiat for Cal Poly would be that their was one less program competing for recruits within the State of California (though I don't really understand why a player would find Sacramento preferable to San Luis Obispo).

saccat
January 30th, 2009, 05:39 PM

By the way ... hope to meet you on the football field. I sincerely hope that CSS isn't the one to lose their football program. The only advantage to thiat for Cal Poly would be that their was one less program competing for recruits within the State of California (though I don't really understand why a player would find Sacramento preferable to San Luis Obispo).

I am a MSU Bobcat Fan. I lived in Sac. when I signed up for this sight years ago. That is why I had no idea that the dash was bad or not. And I graduated from The U of Minnesota about 10 years ago.

SactoHornetFan
January 30th, 2009, 05:44 PM
My bets are on Sac St.

Its not us because we don't get funds from the State of California for athletics. Student fees are the primary support fund.

coover
January 30th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Their official name is California Polytechic State University, San Luis Obispo.

Close. The official name does not include the location. It is "California Polytechnic State University".

There is another school within the State University System with a similar name, "California State Polytechnic University", which is in Pomona. Note that the word "State" is after the word "Polytechnic" for the San Luis Obispo school, and before "Polytechnic" for the Pomona school.

However, for NCAA purposes, the San Luis Obispo school is known simply as "Cal Poly" and the Pomona school (Division II) is known as "Cal Poly Pomona".

SactoHornetFan
January 30th, 2009, 05:46 PM

Actually its not "Cal State Sacramento." The official name of the school is California State University, Sacramento and the only two acceptable names after that are "Sacramento State" and "Sac State," per the naming convention http://www.csus.edu/pa/identity/docs/SacStateSGF05Fv1.pdf

coover
January 30th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Actually its not "Cal State Sacramento." The official name of the school is California State University, Sacramento and the only two acceptable names after that are "Sacramento State" and "Sac State," per the naming convention http://www.csus.edu/pa/identity/docs/SacStateSGF05Fv1.pdf

Ok, Sac State it is! Hope you keep your program. We really need you.

catdaddy2402
January 30th, 2009, 10:13 PM
First there was a lack of comprehension, now there is spelling. I really hope there isn't any math.:D

That makes three...I mean two of us.xlolx

Green Cookie Monster
January 30th, 2009, 10:42 PM
I bet we end up playing you in '09 if NAU is really in trouble. We would need another home game and we could easily get 14K in Sac.

GOKATS
January 30th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I don't see any BSC member giving up FB, but if they do they're out of the BSC period. Some fans of one school in the conference think they should move up, but I don't count that as any viable source as far as the BSC losing a member.

Pantherpower
January 31st, 2009, 06:23 AM
I was in AZ last week for business and as others have mentioned, their Regent's institutions are in big time trouble. It was headlines in the AZ Republic, where over 900 students, faculty and staff attended the Regents meetings to protest a combination of potential closing of campuses and enormous tuition hikes.

MplsBison
February 1st, 2009, 10:28 PM
I don't see any BSC member giving up FB, but if they do they're out of the BSC period. Some fans of one school in the conference think they should move up, but I don't count that as any viable source as far as the BSC losing a member.

I think NAU could suspend it's program. I think the Big Sky would grant it a waiver until things settle down.

Meanwhile they add SUU to get back to 9 football and give NAU a travel partner in bball.

Green Laser
February 2nd, 2009, 03:24 AM
I think NAU could suspend it's program. I think the Big Sky would grant it a waiver until things settle down.

Meanwhile they add SUU to get back to 9 football and give NAU a travel partner in bball.

First I hope that NAU or anyone else dosen't drop football. If that were to happen, the Big Sky would almost have to cut them some slack until they find another place for their other sports. If the Big Sky was to go back to 8 for football it would not be all that bad. It would allow Big Sky
teams more flexability in scheduling non conference games that we lost when Northern Colorado was added. In our case at Sac State it would allow us to resume the Cal Poly series again which was dropped when the Sky went to 9 teams. If SUU switched from the Great West it would make the Great West's scheduling problems even worse.

MplsBison
February 2nd, 2009, 09:07 AM
First I hope that NAU or anyone else dosen't drop football. If that were to happen, the Big Sky would almost have to cut them some slack until they find another place for their other sports. If the Big Sky was to go back to 8 for football it would not be all that bad. It would allow Big Sky
teams more flexability in scheduling non conference games that we lost when Northern Colorado was added. In our case at Sac State it would allow us to resume the Cal Poly series again which was dropped when the Sky went to 9 teams. If SUU switched from the Great West it would make the Great West's scheduling problems even worse.

But it would get SUU out of the Summit League.

Great success!

Lehigh Football Nation
February 2nd, 2009, 10:26 AM
Here's some speculation for you.

* NAU drops football. Big Sky kicks them out of the conference, making them desperate to join a conference - any conference.

* The Summit takes them in, and the Big Sky takes Southern Utah in all sports.

* The GWFC breaks apart with four members. Cal Poly and UCD dock their ship in the Big Sky, who is happy to have them.

* Utah Valley, eager for football and leaping at a chance to join the Big Sky in all sports, does so, putting the BSC at 10 all-sport members, fixing their annoying scheduling problem. UVU is desperate to avoid the Great West Basketball monstrosity, plus get a shot at an autobid.

Football then becomes a 12-team conference consisting of two 6-team divisions:

North
Montana
Montana State
Eastern Washington
Idaho State
Portland State
Northern Colorado

South
Sacramento State
UC Davis
Cal Poly
Southern Utah
Weber State
*Utah Valley

* New program

The only losers in this situation are UND and USD - who are in transition anyway. They'll join the MVFC at the earliest opportunity, while the Summit looks like their likely basketball home.

The only remaining part of the story then are the leftovers from the now-defunct GWBC: Houston Baptist (Southland), Tx-Pan American (Southland, and may spur on plans for reinstating football), Chicago State (maybe Summit, or maybe go to the OVC along with IUPUI defecting from the Summit), and NJIT (Patriot League, also a potential football school).

Out of the realm of possibility? The BSC would move its footprint north, and cut down on some travel for football while getting the crown jewel of Cali football in Davis and Cal Poly and also nabbing some great potential Utah rivalries. They'd also fix their nine-team basketball league, too.

As for the others, the Great West Basketball Conference was a bad idea anyway while the Summit gains from the Great West's demise. There would be a lot of winners here.

nwFL Griz
February 2nd, 2009, 10:56 AM

* NAU drops football. Big Sky kicks them out of the conference, making them desperate to join a conference - any conference.

* The GWFC breaks apart with four members. Cal Poly and UCD dock their ship in the Big Sky, who is happy to have them.

* Utah Valley, eager for football and leaping at a chance to join the Big Sky in all sports, does so, putting the BSC at 10 all-sport members, fixing their annoying scheduling problem. UVU is desperate to avoid the Great West Basketball monstrosity, plus get a shot at an autobid.

North
Montana
Montana State
Eastern Washington
Idaho State
Portland State
Northern Colorado

South
Sacramento State
UC Davis
Cal Poly
Southern Utah
Weber State
*Utah Valley

* New program

The only losers in this situation are UND and USD - who are in transition anyway. They'll join the MVFC at the earliest opportunity, while the Summit looks like their likely basketball home.

The only remaining part of the story then are the leftovers from the now-defunct GWBC: Houston Baptist (Southland), Tx-Pan American (Southland, and may spur on plans for reinstating football), Chicago State (maybe Summit, or maybe go to the OVC along with IUPUI defecting from the Summit), and NJIT (Patriot League, also a potential football school).

Out of the realm of possibility? The BSC would move its footprint north, and cut down on some travel for football while getting the crown jewel of Cali football in Davis and Cal Poly and also nabbing some great potential Utah rivalries. They'd also fix their nine-team basketball league, too.

As for the others, the Great West Basketball Conference was a bad idea anyway while the Summit gains from the Great West's demise. There would be a lot of winners here.

You know what? I like this idea....I really like it.

Completely unrealistic of course, a good idea none-the-less.

MplsBison
February 2nd, 2009, 11:07 AM
Why would the Summit take in NAU when it's trying to get rid of SUU?

Poly and Davis won't leave the Big West for basketball.

Thundar
February 2nd, 2009, 12:37 PM
Why would the Summit take in NAU when it's trying to get rid of SUU?

Poly and Davis won't leave the Big West for basketball.

They are??? I missed that press release, normally conferences try to RETAIN teams not kick them out for no reason!xeyebrowx

MplsBison
February 2nd, 2009, 12:56 PM
They are??? I missed that press release, normally conferences try to RETAIN teams not kick them out for no reason!xeyebrowx

They have a legitimate reason, of course.

But as typical, you'll say anything you think will give less hope to UND joining the conference.

pcola
February 2nd, 2009, 01:49 PM
Isn't NAU already at the minimum number of sports to be classified as Division I? If they drop one sport they wouldn't qualify as a DI school.

UNI Pike
February 2nd, 2009, 02:01 PM
NAU could replace football with bowling and save 45-50 scholarships, plus travel costs. Not that it would be a good thing, but it happened at Wichita State (maybe not expressly linked, but the end result).

Hammersmith
February 2nd, 2009, 03:47 PM
NAU is at the minimum number of men's sports(6). They have one more women's sport than the minimum required. Just a guess, but if push came to shove, I think they'd drop women's swimming and diving. It's the most expensive sport at NAU after FB, MBB & WBB, and it's not a Big Sky sport. Dropping it could possibly create Title IX issues, but what's one more crisis? Another option would be to drop football and add men's golf(they already have a women's team).

(BTW, bowling is only a scholarship sport for women. Also, the FCS minimums for sports are 14 total and a M/W breakdown of 7/7 or 6/8.)

CollegeSportsInfo
February 2nd, 2009, 04:12 PM

North
Montana
Montana State
Eastern Washington
Idaho State
Portland State
Northern Colorado

South
Sacramento State
UC Davis
Cal Poly
Southern Utah
Weber State
*Utah Valley

* New program

Tough call.

I've always been in favor of the Dakota schools joining the Big sky but that was all well and good when it was (2) teams. Now it's 4 schools. And in time I hope things play out so that all 4 schools are in the same conference.

I'm more skeptical with some of the other upgrades like Utah Valley. I think they should be further down the list for expansion.

But if the Big Sky were to lose a school, and there was some real benefit to expansion by 4, the dakotas would be my pick...but I think most people disagree.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 2nd, 2009, 04:16 PM
This columnist has an interesting thought: xlolx

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705278672,00.html?pg=2

Stories out of last week's NCAA convention talked about how increased travel costs are putting a serious crimp in the NCAA's budget as well as universities and colleges around the country.

A panel came up with several ideas, including athletes consolidating and sharing bags to avoid increased baggage costs, using buses instead of commercial air travel and traveling in smaller groups.

I've got one. How about going back to the novel idea of playing in conferences against your neighbors, rather than schools a thousand miles or more away?

The Big Sky could send Sacramento State and Portland State packing and add Southern Utah, giving it an eight-team league with all but one school (Eastern Washington) in the Mountain Time Zone.

This move would help SUU immensely, giving it a couple of bus rides to Ogden and Flagstaff, instead of those crazy cross-country trips in the Summit League to Western Illinois or Michigan (Oakland) or Indiana (IUPUI and IPFW).

I really don't know what to do with Utah Valley. It logically would fit in with the Big Sky schools, except that it doesn't play football. And adding football would be more expensive that making all those trips to New Jersey and North Dakota.

Unfortunately, the chance of conference realignments across the country is probably less than the possibility of a playoff to determine the college football champion. So we can just dream on.

Green Laser
February 2nd, 2009, 04:17 PM

North
Montana
Montana State
Eastern Washington
Idaho State
Portland State
Northern Colorado

South
Sacramento State
UC Davis
Cal Poly
Southern Utah
Weber State
*Utah Valley

* New program

Davis and Poly would never leave the Big West for the other sports. Their interest in the Big Sky is for football and the Big Sky so far is not interested in partial members. If the doors where open to football only members in the Big Sky and the Big Sky/ Big West option was available I think Sac State would look at it. Sac State is 15 miles from Davis, 50 miles from The University of Pacific, and 300 miles from Cal Poly etc. The closest Big Sky schools at Weber and Portland both about 700 miles away.

Green Cookie Monster
February 2nd, 2009, 06:10 PM
NAU is at the minimum number of men's sports(6). They have one more women's sport than the minimum required. Just a guess, but if push came to shove, I think they'd drop women's swimming and diving. It's the most expensive sport at NAU after FB, MBB & WBB, and it's not a Big Sky sport. Dropping it could possibly create Title IX issues, but what's one more crisis? Another option would be to drop football and add men's golf(they already have a women's team).

(BTW, bowling is only a scholarship sport for women. Also, the FCS minimums for sports are 14 total and a M/W breakdown of 7/7 or 6/8.)

We are talking about $1-8M here, swimming is miniscule and so is bowling from a funding standpoint based on these cuts.

UM and MSU won't allow SUU in the conference.

MplsBison
February 2nd, 2009, 07:43 PM
We are talking about $1-8M here, swimming is miniscule and so is bowling from a funding standpoint based on these cuts.

And as we already know, the rest of the Big Sky makes it a point not to let the Montana schools get their way.

UM and MSU can't stop SUU from being added if that's what's best for the rest of the sky.

Hammersmith
February 2nd, 2009, 07:51 PM

According to this article - Athletics already cutting its budget (http://azdailysun.com/articles/2009/02/01/news/20090201_front_190099.txt) - NAU budgets $350,292 for football, $186,010 for MBB, $180,365 for WBB, and $117,221 for W S&D.

Now I'm sure there are other expenses related to football, but those are the numbers from NAU's budget.

mtgrizfan4life
February 2nd, 2009, 08:29 PM
Imagine if Montana pulled a fast one and dropped football. Jesus they'd need to dispatch the national guard to Missoula.

Obama is smarter than to put any US troops in that situation. xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

Seriously, I think it maybe NAU.

Green Cookie Monster
February 2nd, 2009, 09:16 PM
$350,000 for football can't be right, most Sky teams have a $2M budget.

MplsBison
February 2nd, 2009, 10:09 PM
OPE has the football expenses as $2.45M, m bball as $893k and w bball as $765k.

I Bleed Purple
February 2nd, 2009, 11:06 PM
Keep in mind that the Big Sky requires it's teams to participate in football, WBB, MBB, and I believe various track sports and tennis. You have to field a team in all those sports to be a member of the conference. The Big Sky wouldn't take an only football school.

Weber had a serious threat of losing football in '94. Graybeal's hiring went a long way in saving the program. Got some good fundraising going. Maybe NAU boosters need to do something like that.

IaaScribe
February 2nd, 2009, 11:14 PM
From the comments in that article:

" Mr. Fallis notes that dropping just one sport would mean that NAU would drop from Division I in sports. One has to wonder about this since in which sports does NAU actually compete at a Division I level?

xdohx

already123
February 4th, 2009, 04:40 PM
wait...why would nau suspend their football program?!

MplsBison
February 4th, 2009, 05:15 PM
wait...why would nau suspend their football program?!

Save money.

griz8791
February 4th, 2009, 05:16 PM
From the comments in that article:

xdohx

Unless I am misreading it, the guy who assumed offhandedly in that comment thread that NAU is NOT DI in all sports signed his name "Lumberjack Fan." Ouch, some fan. What I don't get is the number of "fans" who never ask why a school like Gonzaga, which has no football team at all (much less a bad one), is "DI" but then think a school like NAU must be Division II in all sports because the football team isn't in the same "class" as USC.

ccd494
February 4th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Unless I am misreading it, the guy who assumed offhandedly in that comment thread that NAU is NOT DI in all sports signed his name "Lumberjack Fan." Ouch, some fan. What I don't get is the number of "fans" who never ask why a school like Gonzaga, which has no football team at all (much less a bad one), is "DI" but then think a school like NAU must be Division II in all sports because the football team isn't in the same "class" as USC.

I think you are misreading that comment. I think the commenter is stating that while Division I in all sports, NAU is rarely competitive.

griz8791
February 4th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Upon further review, I agree with ccd494. The commenter says "Yeah, the basketball teams occasionally make it to the tournament but never past the first round."