PDA

View Full Version : 2nd round hosts

Georgia Griz
November 21st, 2005, 07:50 AM
IF Montana and Georgia Southern win their 1st round games, where would the 2nd round matchup be played? Anybody know for sure? :confused:

ChickenMan
November 21st, 2005, 07:57 AM
IF Montana and Georgia Southern win their 1st round games, where would the 2nd round matchup be played? Anybody know for sure? :confused:

I'd say GSU would need to bring out their cold weather gear... ;)

Cocky
November 21st, 2005, 08:00 AM

Head West young man

colgate13
November 21st, 2005, 08:05 AM
My first official way ahead of himself post:

Colgate vs. EWU in the second round. EWU is averaging about 7,000 a game. Colgate about 5,100 a game. Is that enough to get the game or can Colgate outbid that?

henfan
November 21st, 2005, 08:50 AM
The short answer: whoever bid the highest. I'd lay odds on UM getting that game.

ChickenMan
November 21st, 2005, 08:53 AM

Colgate vs. EWU in the second round. EWU is averaging about 7,000 a game. Colgate about 5,100 a game. Is that enough to get the game or can Colgate outbid that?

Isn't there the little matter of having to win @ UNH first... :p

Baldy
November 21st, 2005, 09:18 AM
Don't matter cuz Cal Poly will beat Montana and GSU will dispatch of Texas State. ;)

bcrawf
November 21st, 2005, 09:27 AM
Intersting News on Playoff Hosts in the Semi Finals-

Obviously the higher seed gets the game if they are still alive but say all 4 lose in the 1st 2 rounds.

The Top half semifinal is Friday Night, the bottom half Saturday Morning.

Say the top half Semi is Montana and UNI and the Bottom Half has Furman and EIU. Here is what we would have:

Montana @ UNI- The NCAA will not pay for portable lights for Wash-Griz unless their seed dictates they get a home game. Montana heads East (This Info according to Rick Hartzell)

EIU @ Furman- Lights are not an issue and Furman will have a stronger bid.

colgate13
November 21st, 2005, 10:20 AM
Isn't there the little matter of having to win @ UNH first... :p

hence the 'way ahead of himself' disclaimer! :p

Fans can dream, can't they? ;)

Georgia Griz
November 21st, 2005, 10:30 AM
Montana @ UNI- The NCAA will not pay for portable lights for Wash-Griz unless their seed dictates they get a home game. Montana heads East (This Info according to Rick Hartzell)

I don't think that Montana was a top four seed last year when they got the night game. And it was also my understanding that patrons and ESPN paid for the lights, not the NCAA. If the NCAA was planning on footing the bill, I'm sure that the money was provided by Montana in their bid package. Also, I don't see why this game couldn't be played in Missoula during the day.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 21st, 2005, 01:54 PM
I wish that would be the case, but in all likelihood, EWU will have to travel to UNH. Give it your damnedest Colgate; we upset a seed last year at home... (turns out SIU is still bitter :D )

Go EAGLES!

FU97
November 21st, 2005, 02:01 PM
I don't think that Montana was a top four seed last year when they got the night game. And it was also my understanding that patrons and ESPN paid for the lights, not the NCAA. If the NCAA was planning on footing the bill, I'm sure that the money was provided by Montana in their bid package. Also, I don't see why this game couldn't be played in Missoula during the day.

Because it is a national telecast on Friday night on ESPN2.

FU97
November 21st, 2005, 02:03 PM
Here's how the 2nd round/semis will be determined if the seeded team loses:

Site Determination. With regard to first-round, quarterfinal and semifinal sites, in
addition to the criteria listed in Bylaw 31.1.3, the NCAA Division I-AA Football
Committee shall consider the following additional criteria when selecting playoff
sites:
a. Prospective host institutions must submit the following minimum financial guarantees,
which shall be 75 percent of the estimated net receipts as submitted on the proposed
budget:
First round—$30,000
Quarterfinal—$40,000
Semifinal—$50,000
b. If the minimum financial guarantees are met, the committee will award the playoff sites
to the top four seeded teams.
c. When determining host institutions for playoff games when both teams are unseeded,
criteria shall apply as follows: (1) quality of facility, (2) revenue potential plus estimated
net receipts, (3) attendance history and potential, (4) team’s performance (i.e.,
conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I opponents),
and (5) student-athlete well-being (e.g., travel, missed class time).
d. If a quarterfinal or semifinal playoff site is not available due to the fact the institutions
involved did not submit a proposed budget, the committee will contact the institutions
and offer the opportunity to submit a bid at the current round’s minimum financial
guarantee level. If seeded teams are not involved, the committee will determine the host
institutions by applying the championship site-selection criteria in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1.
e. If no institution is willing to submit a proposed budget at the current level, the previous
round’s minimum financial guarantee will be offered. If seeded teams are not involved,
the committee will determine the host institutions by applying the championship siteselection
criteria in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1.
f. The committee will consider previous crowd-control measures and crowd behavior of
the prospective host institution.

VictorG
November 21st, 2005, 02:07 PM

Excuse my ignorance but who is Rick Hartzell?

yosef2002
November 21st, 2005, 02:34 PM
ESPN does not pay for lighting. Lighting is paid by the NCAA. The sites are determined by a number of obvious factors.

1. The match up - perennial I-AA powerhouses are given the advantage here (GSU, Montana, etc.).

2. Location - Sites in remote locations are very expensive to do TV productions from (i.e. Montana, Appalachian St.)

3. Lighting - Very expensive undertaking to get a stadium lighting to a level that will provide a decent telecast. This becomes increasingly hard to do on one weeks notice. The only way this happens is if there is no way around it. It would be more likely to get a game on tape delay, which was a serious consideration for one of the ESPNU games on 11/26.

Ronbo
November 21st, 2005, 02:36 PM
ESPN does not pay for lighting. Lighting is paid by the NCAA. The sites are determined by a number of obvious factors.

1. The match up - perennial I-AA powerhouses are given the advantage here (GSU, Montana, etc.).

2. Location - Sites in remote locations are very expensive to do TV productions from (i.e. Montana, Appalachian St.)

3. Lighting - Very expensive undertaking to get a stadium lighting to a level that will provide a decent telecast. This becomes increasingly hard to do on one weeks notice. The only way this happens is if there is no way around it. It would be more likely to get a game on tape delay, which was a serious consideration for one of the ESPNU games on 11/26.

Excuse me.....

The is a out of a Missoulian article 11/29/04:

"ESPN is providing the temporary lighting, which is not new to college football. The University of Washington and Colorado University have used portable lights for night games, as did the University of Missouri before it installed permanent lights in 1996.

"This is not a first," Read said. "But every stadium is a little bit unique. It has to be done a certain way. ESPN will bring all the equipment, but it remains to be seen where they will put them, what they need from us, and all that stuff will be handled (Monday)."

Josh Krulewitz, director of media relations at ESPN, said his network will do a site survey of Washington-Grizzly Stadium in the days leading up to the game. Then ESPN will hire a light vendor, possibly Musco Lighting, to get things up to speed.

"It's not uncommon," Krulewitz said.

bcrawf
November 21st, 2005, 03:16 PM
Rick Hartzell is UNI's AD and the best college basketball referee in the nation!

UNHWildCats
November 21st, 2005, 03:18 PM

you'll be home watching round 2 on tv. sory but colgate has no chance at all against UNH

colgate13
November 21st, 2005, 04:00 PM
you'll be home watching round 2 on tv. sory but colgate has no chance at all against UNH

Then be sure to post in the Patriot League Bashing Roll Call thread so you can get your proper due for that statement.

yosef2002
November 21st, 2005, 04:06 PM
[QUOTE=Ronbo]Excuse me.....

"ESPN is providing the temporary lighting, which is not new to college football. The University of Washington and Colorado University have used portable lights for night games, as did the University of Missouri before it installed permanent lights in 1996.

"This is not a first," Read said. "But every stadium is a little bit unique. It has to be done a certain way. ESPN will bring all the equipment, but it remains to be seen where they will put them, what they need from us, and all that stuff will be handled (Monday)."

Josh Krulewitz, director of media relations at ESPN, said his network will do a site survey of Washington-Grizzly Stadium in the days leading up to the game. Then ESPN will hire a light vendor, possibly Musco Lighting, to get things up to speed.

"It's not uncommon," Krulewitz said.[/QUOT

ESPN is using its exsisting contract with MUSCO for the lighting. ESPN then bills the NCAA for additional costs of temp lighting. This agreement came out of the fact that it was a constant problem among the two entities in choosing which sites to telecast.

GRZZ
November 22nd, 2005, 05:33 PM
Intersting News on Playoff Hosts in the Semi Finals-

Say the top half Semi is Montana and UNI and the Bottom Half has Furman and EIU. Here is what we would have:

bid.

Does anyone know how much lights cost, because here is my thought on this. UNI averages 11,000+ per game, UM averages 23,000= per game. If the NCAA gets $10 of each sold ticket (In the semis I think they get more) that is 12,000 more tickets at UM. That is $120,000 more in profit. I think that Rick Hartzell might be a bias source. I am not saying he is not correct, but it seems ridiculous to punish a school for not having lights even though they lead the 1-AA in attendance. The point is to get people into the seats, and Montana does that way better than just about everyone else, I don't think the NCAA is that stupid...

However, I for one would be very, very, very surprised if we made it this far...

Eagles_Cliff
November 22nd, 2005, 05:44 PM
If GSU and Montana both win, then the Eagles will see if they can score in freezing temperatures at the best venue in IAA--Missoula

Frankly, I think Montana has its hands full with Cal-Poly and I have to see my Eagles as an underdog @ Tex St

TxState_GO_CATS!
November 22nd, 2005, 05:59 PM
If GSU and Montana both win, then the Eagles will see if they can score in freezing temperatures at the best venue in IAA--Missoula

Frankly, I think Montana has its hands full with Cal-Poly and I have to see my Eagles as an underdog @ Tex St

LOL...i was wondering when anyone was going to REMOTELY mention us as part of this equation...seems like the GSU guys have this one already wrapped up--no need for Texas State to show up!

LoL...

GaSouthern
November 22nd, 2005, 07:37 PM
This game is gonna be huge to state it lightly

elkmcc
November 22nd, 2005, 10:21 PM

One weeks notice on the lighting didn't seem to be a problem for the quarterfinal in Missoula last year. I saw a figure last year for the lighting that Muso Lighting provided for the game at $40,000.00. I read somewhere that the majority of the average attendance at GSU's games is students that don't pay for their tickets. Now I would assume that most of those students aren't going to cough up $22.00 for a quarterfinal ticket. Montana will sell 20,000 tickets @$22.00 guaranteed and the NCAA gets most (75%) of it. My guess is GSU can't come close to the bid that Montana can even counting the lighting expense. Fact is the game will go to who will give the NCAA more $$'s. Now that I am done putting the cart before the horse....

HensRock
November 23rd, 2005, 07:42 AM
Ironically enough, I beleive Musco Lighting is based in Iowa. :eek:

Purple Knight
November 23rd, 2005, 07:56 AM
LOL...i was wondering when anyone was going to REMOTELY mention us as part of this equation...seems like the GSU guys have this one already wrapped up--no need for Texas State to show up!

LoL...

You need to reread the post you quoted or have someone explain it.

Freightliner
November 23rd, 2005, 08:26 AM
Excuse me.....

"It's not uncommon," Krulewitz said.

Correct..its not uncommon. ESPN sent a Musco representitive to Bobcat Stadium Monday night to check out our lights to see if extra ones needed to be brought in. ESPN was also here yesterday(Tuesday) checking out the stadium & press box.

TxState_GO_CATS!
November 23rd, 2005, 09:06 AM
You need to reread the post you quoted or have someone explain it.

i read it. i'm simply realizing that Eagles_Cliff is the only GSU fan who is giving Texas State a fighting chance. Other than that, it seems that everyone has already penciled in GSU for a first round win (based on these posts)...

If it just so happens that Texas State wins, where would we go? Or do we host another game?

Just considering the possibilities, however far-stretched they may be... :rolleyes:

McNeese72
November 23rd, 2005, 11:38 AM
i read it. i'm simply realizing that Eagles_Cliff is the only GSU fan who is giving Texas State a fighting chance. Other than that, it seems that everyone has already penciled in GSU for a first round win (based on these posts)...

If it just so happens that Texas State wins, where would we go? Or do we host another game?

Just considering the possibilities, however far-stretched they may be... :rolleyes:

If you put in a minimum bid for the second round, you would host because you are a top four seed.

ChickenMan
November 23rd, 2005, 11:43 AM

If you meet the minimum bid qualifications for each round... you would host vs everyone in your bracket... except New Hampshire.

yosef2002
November 23rd, 2005, 12:17 PM
One weeks notice on the lighting didn't seem to be a problem for the quarterfinal in Missoula last year. I saw a figure last year for the lighting that Muso Lighting provided for the game at $40,000.00. I read somewhere that the majority of the average attendance at GSU's games is students that don't pay for their tickets. Now I would assume that most of those students aren't going to cough up $22.00 for a quarterfinal ticket. Montana will sell 20,000 tickets @$22.00 guaranteed and the NCAA gets most (75%) of it. My guess is GSU can't come close to the bid that Montana can even counting the lighting expense. Fact is the game will go to who will give the NCAA more $$'s. Now that I am done putting the cart before the horse....

Temp lighting costs range from about $10k-40k. ESPNU used MUSCO for a MEAC game earlier this year (South Carlina State at Norfolk State) and the cost was around $12.5k. They also planned on doing two games from Texas Southern but MUSCO estimated the cost at about $35k per game. As you can imagine replacement programming was quickly scheduled because that drove the cost of that production up to around the same price as an ESPN game with a skycam and first down graphics.