A-10: 11-4
BSC: 6-5
GFC: 7-6
MEAC: 0-6
OVC: 0-6
PL: 4-2
SOCON: 8-4
SL: 3-7

Fun Fact: At least one team from both the A-10 and Southern Conference has won a first round game for the last 15 years.

TexasTerror
November 21st, 2005, 05:59 AM

And the Bearkats have two of those (2001, Northern Arizona and 2004, Western Kentucky)...

AppGuy04
November 21st, 2005, 10:13 AM
Food for thought - how the conferences performed in the first round, 2000-2004

Fun Fact: At least one team from both the A-10 and Southern Conference has won a first round game for the last 15 years.

I see 3 more added to the win column for the SoCon this year

FlyBoy8
November 27th, 2005, 02:29 AM
Updated - First-Round Records - 2000-2005:

A-10: 13-4
BSC: 6-7
GFC: 9-6
GW: 1-0
MEAC: 0-7
OVC: 0-7
PL: 4-4
SOCON: 10-5
SL: 4-8

umassfan
November 27th, 2005, 06:06 AM

Just goes to show how the A10 is head and shoulders above the rest.

TexasTerror
November 27th, 2005, 06:46 AM
And what is everyone's thoughts on the MEAC?

UNHWildCats
November 27th, 2005, 06:50 AM

demote them to Pop Warner :P

ChickenMan
November 27th, 2005, 06:54 AM

they should schedule Ohio Valley teams... ;)

Cincy App
November 27th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Interesting stats - but not surprising results. The A-10 and SoCon are dominant while the Gateway is 3rd with help from the OVC!

The MEAC and OVC are pathetic. I find this stat interesting:

1st round playoff wins in the past 6 years:
OVC 0
MEAC 0
Great West 1! (in only one attempt)

Which conference will the Great West eventually replace in the 8 automatic bids?

TexasTerror
November 27th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Great West for OVC...

Jacksonville St won in 2003 and 2004. They lost in playoffs. In SFL (old Southland Football League), they were also-rans. Go to OVC and have a ball...

Cocky
November 27th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Great West for OVC...

Jacksonville St won in 2003 and 2004. They lost in playoffs. In SFL (old Southland Football League), they were also-rans. Go to OVC and have a ball...
OVC isn't that great. Jacksonville St

I agree but we couldn't afford the travel and we wanted all sports in one conference. I also bet the other teams record would have been quite as good if they were traveling halfway across the country every other weekend.

To defend the OVC, in most years JSU and EKU are pretty good teams (15-25 range). EIU and few other have their years but the bottom of the league isn't very good at all.

Golden Eagle
November 27th, 2005, 09:09 AM
The record for the OVC is just a lie and a half!!! Since 2000, we are 1-8 in the playoffs.

November 25, 2000
Montana 45, Eastern Illinois 13
Western Kentucky 27, Florida A&M 0
December 2, 2000
Appalachian State 17, Western Kentucky 14

December 1, 2001
Northern Iowa 49, Eastern Illinois 43

November 30, 2002
Western Kentucky. 59, Murray State 20
Western Illinois 48, Eastern Illinois 9

November 29, 2003
Western Kentucky 45, Jacksonville State 7

November 27, 2004
Furman 49, Jacksonville State 7

November 26, 2005
Southern Illinois 21, Eastern Illinois 6

nmatsen
November 27th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Just goes to show how the A10 is head and shoulders above the rest.

Although I really respect the A-10, the five year record and saying they are head and shoulders above the rest is kind of silly. You guys have had two National Champions the last five years which boosts your record by 8 wins and 0 losses. I can show you the same stats from the 90's to make a 5 year stretch look like the Gateway is the greates conference of all time using a couple of semi final UNI teams and a couple of YSU national championships.

ChickenMan
November 27th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Conference strength does vary from year to year... the A10 is strong now... who knows what the future will bring.

shakdaddy3
November 27th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Conference Records in 1st Round just in 2005:

Gateway Football Conference -- 2-0
Atlantic-10 Conference -- 2-0
Great West -- 1-0
Southern Conference -- 2-1
Southland Football League -- 1-1
Mid-Eastern Athletic -- 0-1
Ohio Valley Conference -- 0-1
Big Sky Conference -- 0-2
Patriot League -- 0-2

:twocents:

TexasTerror
November 27th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Big Sky was #1 in GPI and was 0-2...hmmm.

ravens
November 27th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Although I really respect the A-10, the five year record and saying they are head and shoulders above the rest is kind of silly. You guys have had two National Champions the last five years which boosts your record by 8 wins and 0 losses. I can show you the same stats from the 90's to make a 5 year stretch look like the Gateway is the greates conference of all time using a couple of semi final UNI teams and a couple of YSU national championships.

One could argue that A-10 is the strongest conference, especially if they 3peat this year with a third different team. Hoping Appy or Furman can stop that and return SoCon to its rightful thorne as toughest AA conference. :)
No disrepect, but tod's and your Gateway claims of 15 years ago are pretty dated .

PantherMan
November 27th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Interesting stats - but not surprising results. The A-10 and SoCon are dominant while the Gateway is 3rd with help from the OVC!

OVC 0
MEAC 0

Which conference will the Great West eventually replace in the 8 automatic bids?

Yes, the OVC's pathetic teams have helped the Gateway win a few first rounders. The A10 gets a huge boost in their record playing PL and MEAC teams though. :rolleyes:

skinny_uncle
November 27th, 2005, 12:26 PM

OVC 0
MEAC 0

Maybe the OVC and MEAC can flip a coin? Another possibility which I think is more likely is to have 9 autobids and only 7 at-larges.

blukeys
November 27th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Maybe the OVC and MEAC can flip a coin? Another possibility which I think is more likely is to have 9 autobids and only 7 at-larges.

Smart move :rolleyes: :rolleyes: add another cupcake autobid to the lineup of the OVC champ and MEAC champ. xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx (and according to the gateway guys the PL Champ).

The teams that lost the biggest yesterday were autobids and not at large teams

It would be far better for the NCAA to change who the autobid conferences are, which they can do. My first choice would be the OVC with the MEAC a close second but I am flexible dumping either works for me.

kardplayer
November 27th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Yes, the OVC's pathetic teams have helped the Gateway win a few first rounders. The A10 gets a huge boost in their record playing PL and MEAC teams though. :rolleyes:

You should really try to know what you're talking about before you pop off. I wish the Patriot got to play the Gateway more often. For that matter, playing the Gateway has been far better for the A-10 than playing the Patriot has...

2000-2005 Patriot League Playoff Record
Overall:
Vs:
Gateway: 2-0 (1-0 first round)
A-10: 3-6 (3-3 first round)
SoCon: 0-2 (0-1 first round)
Independents: 1-0

2000-2005 A-10 first round vs:
SoCon: 4-1
Gateway: 2-0
Big Sky: 1-0
Patriot: 3-3
Southland: 1-0
MEAC: 2-0

PantherMan
November 27th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Smart move :rolleyes: :rolleyes: add another cupcake autobid to the lineup of the OVC champ and MEAC champ. xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx (and according to the gateway guys the PL Champ).

The teams that lost the biggest yesterday were autobids and not at large teams

It would be far better for the NCAA to change who the autobid conferences are, which they can do. My first choice would be the OVC with the MEAC a close second but I am flexible dumping either works for me.

Why would you dump the OVC before the MEAC, other than the MEAC gives the A10 a cupcake in the first round? The OVC has at least had good teams in the playoffs in the past, the MEAC has not.

kardplayer
November 27th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Why would you dump the OVC before the MEAC, other than the MEAC gives the A10 a cupcake in the first round? The OVC has at least had good teams in the playoffs in the past, the MEAC has not.

The MEAC plays the SoCon more than they play the A10.

MEAC first round opponents since 2000:
Western Kentucky (2000)
Georgia Southern (2001, 2002)
Florida Atlantic (2003)
Wofford (2003)
William and Mary (2004)
Richmond (2005)

blukeys
November 27th, 2005, 01:20 PM

Actually both conferences had good teams in the distant past when you go back to late 70's and early 80's. (I'll include Eastern Kentucky in the OVC for this). However neither conference has won any playoff games in the 21st century and as I said earlier I am flexible and would be glad to see either go.

I can understand why Gateway folks want to keep the OVC so they can slap them around. Not only does the OVC give at least one Gateway team a sure playoff win but it also gives Gateway teams sure OOC wins to pad their records. Gateway teams schedule OVC a whole lot more than A-10 teams schedule MEAC.

PantherMan
November 27th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Actually both conferences had good teams in the distant past when you go back to late 70's and early 80's. (I'll include Eastern Kentucky in the OVC for this). However neither conference has won any playoff games in the 21st century and as I said earlier I am flexible and would be glad to see either go.

I can understand why Gateway folks want to keep the OVC so they can slap them around. Not only does the OVC give at least one Gateway team a sure playoff win but it also gives Gateway teams sure OOC wins to pad their records. Gateway teams schedule OVC a whole lot more than A-10 teams schedule MEAC.

There have been respectable teams from Eastern Illinois in the last 10 years. The MEAC on the other hand, has their best team in decades, seeded and at home, against a so-so Richmond team, defeated handily. Either way, I agree, neither conference should get an autobid.

WMTribe90
November 27th, 2005, 02:41 PM
I made this proposal last year to settle this debate.

We start next year the same as this year with 8 autobid conferences. Each autobid has 3 years starting next year to win a playoff game. If a conference's autobid team loses three consective years than that conference loses its autobid and the folowing year there would only be 7 autobids and 9 at-large. A conference could regain its autobid by winning a first round game with an at-large selection. There would be no set number of autobids, it would be completely based on first round playoff wins. There could be as 6 autobids or there could be 9 in any given year. Just another way to ensure the most deserving teams are making the playoffs.

Tod
November 27th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Big Sky was #1 in GPI and was 0-2...hmmm.

The Big Sky does NOT get the MEAC/OVC/PL at large, etc. The Big Sky is strong as a conference this year, but everybody knew that Montana's offense and secondary were suspect. EWU had to play on the road in one of the toughest places to win in all of I-AA, and damn near pulled it off.

Hey, the Big Sky did not perform well this year in the playoffs. It happens. But if you look at the level of competition we faced as opposed to UNH, Richmond, SIU, and ASU, the "regionalization" thing flat out hurts the Big Sky. We have to beat the better teams to start. We'd have had to play Poly even if we were the #1 seed. Had EWU gotten the home game, they would have likely beaten UNI at home.

Look who the A-10 beat in the first round: Colgate and Hampton.

The SoCon played TxSt (lost), Laffayette (#41 in the GPI) and a good Nicholls State (that was a good, hard fought game. Home field likely saved FU.

The Big Sky faced the #5 team (Cal Poly, but Montana was #4, so this was a bit of an upset), and had to travel to the #7.

Give me the A-10 schedule or give us Montana State and the SoCon schedule, and the Big Sky would most likely match what the A-10 and SoCon did in the playoffs so far. I at least guarantee that we still have one team in.

Edit - Just another reason why ravens has no clue.

PantherMan
November 27th, 2005, 03:01 PM
The Big Sky does NOT get the MEAC/OVC/PL at large, etc. The Big Sky is strong as a conference this year, but everybody knew that Montana's offense and secondary were suspect. EWU had to play on the road in one of the toughest places to win in all of I-AA, and damn near pulled it off.

Hey, the Big Sky did not perform well this year in the playoffs. It happens. But if you look at the level of competition we faced as opposed to UNH, Richmond, SIU, and ASU, the "regionalization" thing flat out hurts the Big Sky. We have to beat the better teams to start. We'd have had to play Poly even if we were the #1 seed. Had EWU gotten the home game, they would have likely beaten UNI at home.

The SoCon played TxSt (lost), Laffayette (#41 in the GPI) and a good Nicholls State (that was a good, hard fought game. Home field likely saved FU.

The Big Sky faced the #5 team (Cal Poly, but Montana was #4, so this was a bit of an upset), and had to travel to the #7.

Give me the A-10 schedule or give us Montana State and the SoCon schedule, and the Big Sky would most likely match what the A-10 and SoCon did in the playoffs so far. I at least guarantee that we still have one team in.

Good post. EWU probably beats UNI in Washington, and you guys probably would have played Cal Poly even with a seed. The BSC got the worst draws of any of the conferences, and the results showed that. Had EWU or Montana played EIU, Hampton, Lafayette, or Colgate they would still be playing next week.

Tod
November 27th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Good post. EWU probably beats UNI in Washington, and you guys probably would have played Cal Poly even with a seed. The BSC got the worst draws of any of the conferences, and the results showed that. Had EWU or Montana played EIU, Hampton, Lafayette, or Colgate they would still be playing next week.

Thanks. The answer is to seed the 16 teams, make 9-16 play on the road in round one. The higher seeded teams always get home field, period. I know there's a money issue, but there's a fairness issue too.

lugo02
November 27th, 2005, 03:25 PM

Had the PL teams gotten Gateway teams at home in the first round, the PL teams would be inthe second round too.

PL teams had to play the #1 and #2 seeds, you wanna talk about who got the worst draw of any of the conferences!

PantherMan
November 27th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Had the PL teams gotten Gateway teams at home in the first round, the PL teams would be inthe second round too.

PL teams had to play the #1 and #2 seeds, you wanna talk about who got the worst draw of any of the conferences!

The Patriot League did not deserve a good draw though. LC and 'Gate were not good teams. Even with their schedules, both ended up 8-3. And no, neither of your teams that qualified this year would have beaten UNI or SIU, someone's been drinkin' the koolaid a little early on a Sunday afternoon... xprost2x xprost2x

Tod
November 27th, 2005, 03:31 PM

But the PL teams were also the lowest ranked teams in the playoffs. That's usually how playoffs work.

lugo02
November 27th, 2005, 04:01 PM
But the PL teams were also the lowest ranked teams in the playoffs. That's usually how playoffs work.

So why are you complaining that the #1 and #2 teams had to play the lowest ranked teams, while your teams who are arguable middle of the pack playoff team had to play so called tougher opponents. Isn't that how the playoffs work!

an 8-3 Montana got in and was given a home game despite losing there last game of the season without a second though solely based on attendance.

A 7-4 Montana would probably have also gotten in and hosted, and it would have had nothing to do with your ranking.

lugo02
November 27th, 2005, 04:03 PM
The Patriot League did not deserve a good draw though. LC and 'Gate were not good teams. Even with their schedules, both ended up 8-3. And no, neither of your teams that qualified this year would have beaten UNI or SIU, someone's been drinkin' the koolaid a little early on a Sunday afternoon... xprost2x xprost2x

Even with your schedule you ended up 8-3 along with 2 other teams in the Gateway. So?

Tod
November 27th, 2005, 04:14 PM
So why are you complaining that the #1 and #2 teams had to play the lowest ranked teams, while your teams who are arguable middle of the pack playoff team had to play so called tougher opponents. Isn't that how the playoffs work!

That's apparently how the playoffs work in the east because there are so many teams out there. Montana was ranked #4 in the GPI and played the #5. ASU was ranked #1 and played the #41 ranked team (who should not have been in in the first place). Had it worked like a real playoff, the #4 team would play the #13 team at home. The EWU/UNI game was very close to being correct in playoff scheduling.

an 8-3 Montana got in and was given a home game despite losing there last game of the season without a second though solely based on attendance.

They finished #4 in the GPI, they were #1 before losing their last game. I don't understand what the problem is here.

A 7-4 Montana would probably have also gotten in and hosted, and it would have had nothing to do with your ranking.

You don't know that. I'm guessing NO 7-4 team gets in, it's the way it's always been. YSU would have gotten in ahead of Montana, I believe, or CCU.

lugo02
November 27th, 2005, 04:32 PM

That's apparently how the playoffs work in the east because there are so many teams out there. Montana was ranked #4 in the GPI and played the #5. ASU was ranked #1 and played the #41 ranked team (who should not have been in in the first place). Had it worked like a real playoff, the #4 team would play the #13 team at home. The EWU/UNI game was very close to being correct in playoff scheduling.

I go by the opinions of the I-AA committee and human polls. I cannot respect the GPI when a 6-5 Portland State team is ranked #9 by some computer indexes or a 5-5 UC Davis is #23 ahead of teams that actually won games on the field. The GPI rewards teams for getting blown out by I-A teams (despite UC Davis beating Standford, I believe they might have even been ranked higher in the GPI had they lost that game) and losing to other teams that got blown out by other I-As as well.

A #8 or #9 Montana playing against a #9 or #10 Cal-Poly in the first round is not a bad draw, that is how the Play-off works. right?

I do however agree that the NCAA should seed at least the top 8 teams.

ravens
November 27th, 2005, 04:48 PM

So you are expecting Cal Poly or UNI to win it all? :boring:

Golden Eagle
November 27th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Any attempt to remove the OVC's autobid will be met with a swift, harsh, and definite application of.... the NUCLEAR OPTION!!!

Hansel
November 27th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Easy Answer, drop all autobids :nod:

DuckDuckGriz
November 27th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Food for thought - how the conferences performed in the first round, 2000-2004

Griz have 4 of those 6 for the Sky.....

Poly Pigskin
November 28th, 2005, 12:06 AM
None, at least not for a long time. Northern Colorado is moving to the BSC, leaving us with 5 teams so we'll have to restart our waiting period if/when we find a 6th member. There were also rumors for awhile that the Dakota schools were also looking to join the Big Sky, which would effectively dissolve the GWFC, but I haven't read anything about that in some time.

Easy Answer, drop all autobids :nod:
Yes! This has my vote.

NovaHater
November 28th, 2005, 09:26 AM

Interesting you go back 5 years instead of 7 because then you would have to add UMASS to the total which gives the A10 3 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

NovaHater
November 28th, 2005, 09:38 AM

To compile that A 10 13-4 (9) teams have represented the league in that short time which I think helps show the depth of the A-10. This isn't a 2-3 team dominated league.
A-10 in playoffs last 5 yrs. JMU,UD,UMASS,UNH,Richmond, Villanova,Hofstra,Maine, William & Mary

UNHWildCats
November 28th, 2005, 09:49 AM
To compile that A 10 13-4 (7) teams have represented the league in that short time which I think helps show the depth of the A-10. This isn't a 2-3 team dominated league.
A-10 in playoffs last 5 yrs. JMU,UD,UMASS,UNH,Richmond, Villanova,Hofstra

wasnt Maine in the playoffs recently?

NovaHater
November 28th, 2005, 09:52 AM
wasnt Maine in the playoffs recently?

Thanks for that correction :beerchug:

GannonFan
November 28th, 2005, 09:57 AM
You forgot W&M and Northeastern have both been in the playoffs during that time period as well.

UNHWildCats
November 28th, 2005, 10:03 AM
A-10 teams in playoffs since 2000 (10 of 12)

UNH - 2004, 2005

Mass - 2003

Delaware - 2000, 2003, 2004

Maine - 2001, 2002

Northeastern - 2002

Hofstra - 2000 (as indep.), 2001

JMU - 2004

Richmond - 2000, 2005

W & M - 2001, 2004

Villanova - 2002

NovaHater
November 28th, 2005, 10:08 AM
A-10 teams in playoffs since 2000 (10 of 12)

UNH - 2004, 2005

Mass - 2003

Maine - 2001, 2002

Northeastern - 2002

JMU - 2004

Richmond - 2000, 2005

W & M - 2001, 2004

Villanova - 2002

It would probably have been easier to name who HASN'T made the playoffs from the A-10. Pretty impressive when you think about it, how many League's
can make such a claim, and that's JUST in the last 5 years.

UNHWildCats
November 28th, 2005, 10:10 AM
It would probably have been easier to name who HASN'T made the playoffs from the A-10. Pretty impressive when you think about it, how many League's
can make such a claim, and that's JUST in the last 5 years.

yea and no one can say its so weak of a conference anyone can win its autobid, cause every year since 2000 atleast 2 teams been in and in 2004 1/4 of the playoff field was a-10

HensRock
November 28th, 2005, 10:28 AM
every year since 2000 atleast 2 teams been in

At least 2 current A-10 teams have been to the playoffs in every year since it went to a 16 team format in 1986. Many years, it's been 3.

89Hen
November 28th, 2005, 10:28 AM
I'm guessing NO 7-4 team gets in, it's the way it's always been.
Unless you don't want to count the Big Sky auto from 2002 and 2003. :p

89Hen
November 28th, 2005, 11:37 AM
BTW, I think it's more impressive to note which ones have actually won playoff games. A weak conference can send a bunch of different teams TO the playoffs, it's another thing to have them win a game...

UNH - 2004, 2005
Mass - 2003
Maine - 2001, 2002
Northeastern - 2002
JMU - 2004
Richmond - 2000, 2005
W & M - 2001, 2004
Villanova - 2002

UNHWildCats
November 28th, 2005, 11:43 AM
BTW, I think it's more impressive to note which ones have actually won playoff games. A weak conference can send a bunch of different teams TO the playoffs, it's another thing to have them win a game...

UNH - 2004, 2005
Mass - 2003
Maine - 2001, 2002
Northeastern - 2002
JMU - 2004
Richmond - 2000, 2005
W & M - 2001, 2004
Villanova - 2002

well it was previously said in this thread that the a 10 has gone 13-4 in first round games since 2000 so pointing out how many of these teams won in there appearances seemed unimportant since we already knew it was 13 times