PDA

View Full Version : NCAA, FIX THE RECORD BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!

GaSouthern
January 29th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I still cant get over the fact that the NCAA is now including playoff stats in the record books but not being retroactive and including the old playoff stats.

Adrian Peterson Rushed for 9000+ yards and until the NCAA recognizes this I will stay pissed off. It is such a sham that they are not being honest about the records.

The all time Rushing and rushing touchdown leader deserves to be given the credit he earned!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jmufan999
January 29th, 2009, 09:53 AM
wow, you're really upset about this.

mcveyrl
January 29th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I think it's a legitimate gripe. It's not like it would be that hard to change the books.

Having said that, I don't think the NCAA has shown any signs that they're going to do it.

blueballs
January 29th, 2009, 10:23 AM
It is not just AP that is getting screwed, there are many 1-AA/FCS greats whose accomplishments are shortchanged by this ridiculous rule, like Dave Dickenson of Montana.

Appinator
January 29th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Agreed. It's not like these old records would be difficult to recreate, and dubbing someone the FCS all-time leader is kind of a joke when it is clear that someone else was historically better.

As much as I hated AP when he rolled to town, the guy's name deservedly needs to be in the dictionary next to BEAST. He was a yardage and touchdown machine.

UMass922
January 29th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Agreed. It really boggles my mind that the NCAA can't just be consistent about this. Either everyone's playoff stats should count, or no one's should. As mcveyrl said, it's not like it would be hard to change.

TexasTerror
January 29th, 2009, 12:31 PM
So, is the NCAA supposed to recognize blocks before they officially kept blocks? I know a girl that would be the NCAA record holder if they did. They only kept blocks her last two years. Her first two years were even better.

The NCAA is CONSISTENT in their policy if you look at other similar instances...

Syntax Error
January 29th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Agreed. It really boggles my mind that the NCAA can't just be consistent about this. Either everyone's playoff stats should count, or no one's should.Yes, remove playoff stats unless you count everyone's.

CrunchGriz
January 29th, 2009, 01:04 PM
So, is the NCAA supposed to recognize blocks before they officially kept blocks? I know a girl that would be the NCAA record holder if they did. They only kept blocks her last two years. Her first two years were even better.

The NCAA is CONSISTENT in their policy if you look at other similar instances...

I don't think anyone is saying statistics that weren't previously kept should include previous years' playoff numbers, but those stats that were kept previously (rushing yardage, passing yardage, quarterback rating, etc.) should be updated to include playoff numbers for those before 2001 (or whenever it was that they started including playoff numbers).

For those of us with an all-time great like AP or DD, it's irksome to say the least. You want to see your guy get the kudos he deserves, and be judged on an even playing field.

Dickenson, for example, had 4176 yards passing in the regular season in 1995, which is one of the highest totals ever, but not all-world when you factor in those quarterbacks who had playoff totals included. When you add in the 1500 yards he passed for in the playoffs that year, though, his 5676 yard total demonstrates how outrageously good he was (not to mention his 51 total TD passes in '95).

appfan2008
January 29th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I agree it is unfair... I think all playoff games should be included

UMass922
January 29th, 2009, 01:23 PM

It's not the same thing. You're talking about stats that weren't kept or recorded. The stats in question here were kept and recorded; they just aren't being counted.

GaSouthern
January 29th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Is there anyone we could contact at the NCAA department that would actually listen?

turfdoc
January 29th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I actually thinks this is a VERY good idea to get these things fixed. It doesn't have to start at the NCAA. The schools could start to publish career leaders including all games.

I know that this year Corey Lewis surpassed Jeff Stovall as the all time rushiong leader at UNI. I know the school is counting Corey Lewis's post season yards and most likely not counting Jeff Stovall's.

If the schools do it the NCAA will follow, remember the NCAA is technically "run by" its member institutions.

GolfingGriz
January 29th, 2009, 07:04 PM
It is not just AP that is getting screwed, there are many 1-AA/FCS greats whose accomplishments are shortchanged by this ridiculous rule, like Dave Dickenson of Montana.

Yep. Higgins is good, but he got 14 games to set the BSC passing yardage record. Dickenson had 11. If you add his first 3 games of the playoffs to the regular season, higgins would have fallen about 1,000 yards short.

GaSouthern
October 20th, 2009, 12:42 PM
This thread needs another "lookin"

PhoenixSupreme
October 20th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I don't think playoff records should be counted at all personally. It kind of penalizes the players that had the misfortune of playing on bad teams. You can't put the entire burden on one man's shoulders to get a team to the playoffs, and some athletes have to suffer because of that. Of course, if you get to the playoffs and have the record regardless, it should just be icing on the cake, as in counting towards the player's "legend" status.

Grizzaholic
October 20th, 2009, 02:11 PM
It's not the same thing. You're talking about stats that weren't kept or recorded. The stats in question here were kept and recorded; they just aren't being counted.

xnodx

phoenix3
October 20th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I don't think playoff records should be counted at all personally. It kind of penalizes the players that had the misfortune of playing on bad teams. You can't put the entire burden on one man's shoulders to get a team to the playoffs, and some athletes have to suffer because of that. Of course, if you get to the playoffs and have the record regardless, it should just be icing on the cake, as in counting towards the player's "legend" status.

Yeah, but if that player helped his team get to the playoffs he deserves the recognition. FIX THE RECORDS.

OL FU
October 20th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I still cant get over the fact that the NCAA is now including playoff stats in the record books but not being retroactive and including the old playoff stats.

Adrian Peterson Rushed for 9000+ yards and until the NCAA recognizes this I will stay pissed off. It is such a sham that they are not being honest about the records.

The all time Rushing and rushing touchdown leader deserves to be given the credit he earned!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't blame youxthumbsupx Fix the record books

Skjellyfetti
October 20th, 2009, 04:30 PM

Yeah, but some players play their best football in November and December when it counts.

Two of Armanti's best games were in the playoffs. 313 yards rushing against Richmond and 433 yards passing against South Carolina State. Those games should be included in his numbers or you don't get an accurate picture of AE's career.

I agree that players in past years should have their postseason numbers retroactively included as well.

OL FU
October 20th, 2009, 04:42 PM

You were obviously making passes at the wrong girlxnodx

gophoenix
October 20th, 2009, 05:40 PM

I don't understand. Can someone explain why they aren't including old records?

Is this saying that playoffs don't count for cumulative stats for the season? Or what?

Maybe they should be included with a footnote or something. or show regular season stats leaders and then all time stats leaders?