PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Peterson on Inaugural SoCon All Sports HOF list of 10

blueballs
January 28th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Congrats to AP, who is on the list of 10 inaugural inductees into the new SoCon Hall of Fame, along with other greats who include Arnold Palmer, Jerry West, Sam Huff, Choo Choo Justice, Frank Selvy, among others.

This is an incredible honor and richly deserved (even if his playoff numbers don't count).

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=3655202

AshevilleApp2
January 28th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Well he had six years of eligibility, I guess he would put up great numbers!

I kid. It only seemed like he played for six years. Congratulations A.P.1, you're in great company.

OL FU
January 28th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I am actually surprised that one of FUs female golfers didn't make the list.

Daniels, Turner. They were pretty dominate in the pros for awhile.

Pretty good list though. I wouldn't have wanted to have to compile it.

mcveyrl
January 28th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I thought he played in the Big 12. xconfusedx

:D

Kill'em
January 28th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Only three more years until he is eligible for the College Football Hall of Fame.

Congratulations AP! This couldn't happen to a better individual.

Syntax Error
January 28th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I thought he played in the Big 12.The all-time leading college rusher's name is Adrian "AP" Peterson who played at Georgia Southern.

The SoCon All Sports HOF must have had a real tough time naming him. xlolx

catamount man
January 28th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Cannot believe Bob Waters didn't get a nod. Hopefully next year.

eaglesrthe1
January 28th, 2009, 07:04 PM
The all-time leading college rusher's name is Adrian "AP" Peterson who played at Georgia Southern.

I think that it's especially great that he was in the inaugural group of 10, when everyone's (254 nominees) name was on the table. That's probably the highest compliment of all.

Dinman31
January 28th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I am actually surprised that one of FUs female golfers didn't make the list.

Daniels, Turner. They were pretty dominate in the pros for awhile.

Pretty good list though. I wouldn't have wanted to have to compile it.

I don't think that Furman's golfers were eligible. The SoCon didn't sponsor golf at that time.

proasu89
January 28th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I don't think that Furman's golfers were eligible. The SoCon didn't sponsor golf at that time.

Not sure I follow that. Dottie Pepper was a 3 time AA at Furman and I know there were other women's teams in in the SoCon in the 80's. Back to the topic, Congrats to Adrian Peterson on a great honorxthumbsupx

grizband
January 29th, 2009, 12:42 AM
The all-time leading college rusher's name is Adrian "AP" Peterson who played at Georgia Southern.

He is no longer college football's all time leading rusher though. He does still hold the Division I record by six yards, over Sac States Charles Roberts.

Congrats to AP, I will never forget his run against Montana in the 2000 title game.

GaSouthern
January 29th, 2009, 09:24 AM
He is no longer college football's all time leading rusher though. He does still hold the Division I record by six yards, over Sac States Charles Roberts.

Congrats to AP, I will never forget his run against Montana in the 2000 title game.

9145 yards is how many Adrian Peterson has, who has more than that?

The record books are FLAWED! See my other thread, this is complete BS that the NCAA is pretending like so many stats never happened.

grizband
January 29th, 2009, 10:32 AM
9145 yards is how many Adrian Peterson has, who has more than that?

The record books are FLAWED! See my other thread, this is complete BS that the NCAA is pretending like so many stats never happened.
Didn't mean to open a can of worms here - Montana has a similar complaint with players like Dave Dickenson, Yohance Humphrey and others who have immense playoff statistics negated by the NCAA's ruling.

Syntax Error
January 29th, 2009, 12:28 PM
He is no longer college football's all time leading rusher...He is Division I's all-time leading rusher and holds so many other records.

You mentioned Charles Roberts of Sac State. He does hold a record of most career rushing carries but still doesn't have the yardage to pass AP.

PaladinFan
January 29th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Frank Selvy might be the least recognizable and most accomplished on there. Still the ONLY player in Division I basketball to score 100 points in a game (1954) and is still, 55 years later, fourth on the all time scoring list in D-I hoops.

appfan2008
January 29th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I think it would have been absolutely impossible to put that list together after more than 75 years of socon sports!

Syntax Error
January 29th, 2009, 01:18 PM
App State shut AP down

citdog
January 29th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Frank Selvy might be the least recognizable and most accomplished on there. Still the ONLY player in Division I basketball to score 100 points in a game (1954) and is still, 55 years later, fourth on the all time scoring list in D-I hoops.

he's still vermin scum

blueballs
January 29th, 2009, 05:46 PM
App State shut AP down

... and such was the beauty of the triple option as Paul Johnson coached it, AP was shut down and JR Revere had over 170 yards and Andre Weathers had over 100 as well. As great as Revere was that day, App really shot themselves in the foot with turnovers deep in their own end which aided GSU as they secured a rare win in Boone.

The only other team to really shut down Peterson was Furman in the 2001 playoffs. Peterson took a shot in the lower back in the third quarter and had spasms and was MOL relegated to the bench in the fourth quarter of that game, which was GSU's first ever home playoff loss after close to 30 consecutive wins.

PaladinFan
January 29th, 2009, 06:40 PM
... and such was the beauty of the triple option as Paul Johnson coached it, AP was shut down and JR Revere had over 170 yards and Andre Weathers had over 100 as well. As great as Revere was that day, App really shot themselves in the foot with turnovers deep in their own end which aided GSU as they secured a rare win in Boone.

The only other team to really shut down Peterson was Furman in the 2001 playoffs. Peterson took a shot in the lower back in the third quarter and had spasms and was MOL relegated to the bench in the fourth quarter of that game, which was GSU's first ever home playoff loss after close to 30 consecutive wins.

And a great day it was. I think it balanced out though because, unless I'm mistaken, Furman was playing without Louis Ivory the entire game.

catdaddy2402
January 29th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I think it would have been absolutely impossible to put that list together after more than 75 years of socon sports!

Without a doubt.

I looked at the link knowing that Clemson's Banks McFadden would have made the list. All-American in Football and Track in 1939, also ran track. Ws voted "Most Versatile Athlete" in the nation in 1939. 1939 Cotton Bowl MVP. Member of the National Football Hall of Fame, South Carolina Athletic Hall of Fame, and Clemson Athletic Hall of Fame (Charter member of the last two) and coached at Clemson the final 11 years they were in the SoCon.

And that was just the first name that popped in my head. I imagine a lengthy list could be compiled. After 75 years there's been a ton of great athletes that have played in the SoCon in all the sports.

Kill'em
January 30th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Cannot believe Bob Waters didn't get a nod. Hopefully next year.

Forget his accomplishments, he gets my vote based on courage alone.

LarryBoy
January 30th, 2009, 08:27 PM
And a great day it was. I think it balanced out though because, unless I'm mistaken, Furman was playing without Louis Ivory the entire game.

Correct. Ivory went down in the first round against Western Kentucky. He made it back for the National Championship game, but I would say he was at 70% tops. I guess you have to play him, but we may have won that game if we left him out.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 31st, 2009, 12:33 PM

In 2001 UTC nearly held him under 100 yards and we won 70-7 anyway. It was the Mark Myers/J.R. Revere show.

I kind of feel like App's strategy that year was "stop him at all costs" also.