PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Southern To Play North Carolina

UNHWildCats
January 28th, 2009, 11:06 AM
According to the Ga Southern forum, the contract was signed yesterday, they will play on October 10.

http://www.gsufans.com/tsc/showthread.php?t=2379

SideLine Shooter
January 28th, 2009, 11:47 AM
According to the Ga Southern forum, the contract was signed yesterday, they will play on October 10.

http://www.gsufans.com/tsc/showthread.php?t=2379

I would be mad. They are calling it a warmup game. By the way, THEY WILL NOT PLAY APP. ST.xnodx

Touchdown Yosef
January 28th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I saw that this morning good luck GSU I hope you take it to them. They have struggled in recent years with FCS but have slipped away unscathed every time.

FCS Go!
January 28th, 2009, 12:43 PM
The Heels know what they're getting into, they had a time with McNeese last season.

ASUG8
January 28th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Go GSU! xthumbsupx UNC has been up and coming the last couple of years under Davis, but I hope you guys give them a good spanking.

Apps03
January 28th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Went to the UNC-CH board to see what they were saying about it and found these gems:

seriously doubt we'd play a D-II school. Is it even an option to play D-II schools anymore?

and this one:

I have heard Ga Southern as well and this would make sense because they run the offense as Ga Tech so it would give us a warm up game.

I would think a lot of acc teams will try to schedule Ga Southern and or Navy to get ready for Tech.

butch is out front on this, getting ga southern is a smart move. we should try to get them every time we need a football sub division school.

xrolleyesx

ASUG8
January 28th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Went to the UNC-CH board to see what they were saying about it and found these gems:

seriously doubt we'd play a D-II school. Is it even an option to play D-II schools anymore?

and this one:

I have heard Ga Southern as well and this would make sense because they run the offense as Ga Tech so it would give us a warm up game.

I would think a lot of acc teams will try to schedule Ga Southern and or Navy to get ready for Tech.

butch is out front on this, getting ga southern is a smart move. we should try to get them every time we need a football sub division school.

xrolleyesx

Is it "ignorance is bliss" or "arrogance is bliss"? I forget. xsmiley_wix

eaglesrthe1
January 28th, 2009, 01:09 PM
The div II reference was a legit question as to them playing a div II opponent, not a dis of GSU.

I'm also not surprised that some of them wouldn't know that GSU doesn't run the option offense any more. Many fans don't go beyond their own teams, much less their own conferences. It's one of the reasons I like this board so much, you can't find a more knowledgeable football fan base any where else.

I'm glad that GSU is playing them, if this turns out to be true. I always look forward to the Eagles playing new teams.

AlphaSigMD
January 28th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I was wondering when the Tarholes would make their yearly proclamation of being a sorry bunch of "P*ssy A*sed B*tches" for once again ducking ASU. The world would certainly come to an end if anyone else in the state of North Carolina could ever one-up the "great UNC".

appfan2008
January 28th, 2009, 02:59 PM
GO EAGLES... I hope you kick some tar hole butt in chapel HELL...

I never thought I would root so hard for GSU!!!... but then again I never thought they would play UNC!!!!

catamount man
January 28th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I hope El Cid and GSU upset them!!! xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Appstate29
January 28th, 2009, 06:36 PM
words cannot describe how hard i will be cheering for GSU on this one occasion. I will just have to make up for it by hating them even more the rest of the season.

McNeese75
January 28th, 2009, 08:26 PM
GATA Eagles xthumbsupx

Big Dawg
January 29th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Oct. 10, 2009...the day that TWO ACC teams will fall to FCS schools.

Atleast I REALLY hope so.

eaglewithabus
January 29th, 2009, 07:19 AM
this one definately caught me by suprise. I have never been up that way, so it should make for a nice weekend. Hopefully we can play a decent game and give em a run for their money.

nwFL Griz
January 29th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Oct. 10, 2009...the day that TWO ACC teams will fall to FCS schools.

Atleast I REALLY hope so.

Not gonna happen, in either case.

appfan2008
January 29th, 2009, 07:40 AM
this one definately caught me by suprise. I have never been up that way, so it should make for a nice weekend. Hopefully we can play a decent game and give em a run for their money.

I sure hope you do... it is a nice area too!

appmaj
January 29th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Any confirmation this?

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 29th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Any confirmation this?

GSU's schedule is supposed to be released this week (as in today or tommorow). I'm hoping this is true. We need a winnable FBS game with our schedule.

words cannot describe how hard i will be cheering for GSU on this one occasion. I will just have to make up for it by hating them even more the rest of the season.

Feelings mutual. On the week of this game, I want the people on the people on the UNC board saying "we're in trouble! GSU beat Mountain State and Mountain State beat the slop out of ECU!" Assuming the game will be played October 31st.
xlolx

Ivytalk
January 29th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Go Eagles! Run it down their freakin' throats!xthumbsupx

eaglewithabus
January 29th, 2009, 09:11 AM
I sure hope you do... it is a nice area too!

I may be looking to some of you folks from that area for reccomendations about lodging, dining....etc..

DX Man
January 29th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Good Luck GSU! Hope you beat the tarholes!

McNeese75
January 29th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I may be looking to some of you folks from that area for reccomendations about lodging, dining....etc..

Stay in Raleigh. The State fans will love you and be very accomodating when you tell them who you are playing xlolx

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 29th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Not gonna happen, in either case.

Really? UNC beats McNeese by one touchdown and GSU has no chance despite all of the good offensive players that North Carolina loses?

nwFL Griz
January 29th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Really? UNC beats McNeese by one touchdown and GSU has no chance despite all of the good offensive players that North Carolina loses?

Please point me to where I said they have no chance?

It is my opinion that UNC will beat GSU, but GSU certainly has a better chance of beating UNC than FAMU does of beating Miami.

But the comment stands, neither ACC team will lose.

hippy@GSU
January 30th, 2009, 08:39 AM

I love the wording! God, I hope the Eagles pull it off. I will probably be making my reservations at the Holiday Inn in Chapel Hill soon.

Please point me to where I said they have no chance?

It is my opinion that UNC will beat GSU, but GSU certainly has a better chance of beating UNC than FAMU does of beating Miami.

But the comment stands, neither ACC team will lose.

Im pretty sure saying "Not gonna happen, in either case" equates to saying "no chance" in most circles.

nwFL Griz
January 30th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I love the wording! God, I hope the Eagles pull it off. I will probably be making my reservations at the Holiday Inn in Chapel Hill soon.

Im pretty sure saying "Not gonna happen, in either case" equates to saying "no chance" in most circles.

Quite a leap....thanks for being a mind reader, because you'd have to be one in order to connect those two statements.

There is a difference between "my opinion is neither ACC team will lose" and "Ga South has no chance to win." I believe GSU has a chance, but that they will not win. My statement "not gonna happen, in either case" gives no impression of what my feelings on the chances of either team winning, just that they will not win.

And that's what really counts....they (GSU) will not win. They have a chance, but they will not win.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 30th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Quite a leap....thanks for being a mind reader, because you'd have to be one in order to connect those two statements.

There is a difference between "my opinion is neither ACC team will lose" and "Ga South has no chance to win." I believe GSU has a chance, but that they will not win. My statement "not gonna happen, in either case" gives no impression of what my feelings on the chances of either team winning, just that they will not win.

And that's what really counts....they (GSU) will not win. They have a chance, but they will not win.

Your tone says that you think GSU has a chance, but very little. I would beg to differ with that assessment.

hippy@GSU
January 30th, 2009, 11:48 AM

I wouldnt say GSU will not win, but the odds are against them. True, GSU has a chance and saying "has no chance" completely rules out any possibility of a GSU win. While saying that you do not think they will win (ruling out the possibility of a GSU win) you are essentially saying that you are not giving them a chance. Or maybe you speak of "opinion wise vs. reality wise." OPINION= no chance, REALITY= a chance. I think that is what you just said. Either way, you were relating that YOU personally give them no chance. Maybe I make no sense, so I will give you the last word (not unless you question my credibility and attack me so badly that I have to interupt and cut your mic) because this is getting ridiculous.

nwFL Griz
January 30th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I wouldnt say GSU will not win, but the odds are against them. True, GSU has a chance and saying "has no chance" completely rules out any possibility of a GSU win. While saying that you do not think they will win (ruling out the possibility of a GSU win) you are essentially saying that you are not giving them a chance. Or maybe you speak of "opinion wise vs. reality wise." OPINION= no chance, REALITY= a chance. I think that is what you just said. Either way, you were relating that YOU personally give them no chance. Maybe I make no sense, so I will give you the last word (not unless you question my credibility and attack me so badly that I have to interupt and cut your mic) because this is getting ridiculous.

No, you got it close with this quote, "OPINION= no chance, REALITY= a chance". More like OPINION=slim chance.

I thought that was what I was saying. I'll make sure to choose words better in the future.

nwFL Griz
January 30th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Your tone says that you think GSU has a chance, but very little. I would beg to differ with that assessment.

As is your right......but we shall see come Oct 10.

hippy@GSU
January 30th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Now that we have that cleared up, lets get back to talking about how bad GSU is going to kick some tar hole arse!!!!

nwFL Griz
January 30th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Now that we have that cleared up, lets get back to talking about how bad GSU is going to kick some tar hole arse!!!!

For the record, I seriously hope GSU stomps a mudhole in their a--!!

gophoenix
January 30th, 2009, 02:33 PM
I was wondering when the Tarholes would make their yearly proclamation of being a sorry bunch of "P*ssy A*sed B*tches" for once again ducking ASU. The world would certainly come to an end if anyone else in the state of North Carolina could ever one-up the "great UNC".

Ducking ASU? Heck, they have ducked Elon, Western and A&T too , the Bunch of panzies.

ButlerGSU
January 30th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I can't believe there are this many pages devoted to a game that has not officially been announced by either schools.

Kill'em
January 30th, 2009, 08:19 PM

I wish. xbawlingx It would make our chances of beating them even better. However, even though Coach Hatcher loves to throw the football around, having QB's that run well let's him balance the offense better and his love of the trick play will hopefully catch UNC off-guard.

apaladin
January 30th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I saw that this morning good luck GSU I hope you take it to them. They have struggled in recent years with FCS but have slipped away unscathed every time.

Not too long ago:1999 Furman 28 UNC 3

Man, I just love the sound of that! xlolxxnodx

Almost happened again in 2006: UNC 45 Furman 42

ASU
January 30th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I can't believe there are this many pages devoted to a game that has not officially been announced by either schools.

We are bound by a common hatred of the elitist school that North Carolina was and is......it is our goal in life to see it rot in hell-Ow yes.....they suck....so wimpy will never play App State.

I put this on the App State board about a day ago.....I hate to say it, but I am pulling for you guys (owwww, it hurts).....no seriously, I pull for any SoCon member going against an out of conference foe.

Go Eagles, leave some bird droppings in Chapel Hill......hopefully we will be beating East Carolina before then.

GGASU
January 31st, 2009, 05:10 PM
This site just updated the UNC schedule to include Georgia Southern.

Up until today they just had "another out of conference foe-TBA"

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/college_football_2009_schedules/northcarolina.htm

GATA
January 31st, 2009, 05:37 PM
I'm a huge GSU fan, but there is no way the Eagles beat UNC...

I kinda wish App State never beat Michigan. It's caused our delusional fan base to feel like we have a shot to beat teams like UGA and UNC..xrolleyesx

Ivytalk
January 31st, 2009, 06:01 PM
Carolina blue will be blue!

Go Eagles!

GGASU
January 31st, 2009, 06:07 PM

I kinda wish App State never beat Michigan. It's caused our delusional fan base to feel like we have a shot to beat teams like UGA and UNC..xrolleyesx

You might not have a chance to beat UGA, but you should never group UNC and UGA together.

McNeese was ahead in the third quarter of the game against UNC this past year. Furman always gives them a tough time, and beat the hell out of them one year.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 31st, 2009, 06:38 PM

I don't know any GSU fan that thought we had a chance against UGA unless the planets completely aligned for us. UNC is not UGA and the ACC is not the SEC.

UNCheer08
February 2nd, 2009, 04:21 PM
Hey guys,

I just graduated from UNC (Class of 2008) and now I am in grad school at Georgia Southern, so I am pretty excited about this game. For the record, however, I bleed Carolina Blue so, GO TAR HEELS!!

Anyways, my point in this message is to offer assistance to anyone who may have questions regarding Chapel Hill, the gameday atmosphere, places to eat/drink, etc. I'm sure more will arise closer to the time, but whatever comes to mind, just shoot.

Looking forward to it....

eaglewithabus
February 3rd, 2009, 07:39 AM
How far in advance do you need to book a place to stay up there? I am not gonna know for sure if I can go for a little while. I know I could book and cancel, but I hate doing that. What are the campus rules as far as tailgating? Is there anything in particular to watch out for with alcohol or grills?

appmaj
February 3rd, 2009, 08:04 AM
How far in advance do you need to book a place to stay up there? I am not gonna know for sure if I can go for a little while. I know I could book and cancel, but I hate doing that. What are the campus rules as far as tailgating? Is there anything in particular to watch out for with alcohol or grills?

No rules against alcohol or grills. Finding a place to tailgate is more of the challenge. There is not really a central area to tailgate. Just scattered lots. Booking a place is only an issue right in Chapel Hill. You are still really close to Duham and Raleigh so there are tons of places withn 30 mins.

BTW, Is any one else confused by UNC playing 2 SoCon teams?

g-webb1994
February 3rd, 2009, 11:41 AM
Listening to Woody Durham crying like a little girl on the radio when Furman whipped their ass 28-3 was priceless and enjoyable. May GSU help Woody to a repeat performance!xthumbsupx

Hope my boys go into Raleigh and pop the Wolfpack bubble on Sept. 19 as well.

GSUhooligan
February 3rd, 2009, 12:58 PM
BTW, Is any one else confused by UNC playing 2 SoCon teams?

Maybe there are some NCAA sanctions that we don't know about and half their team will be missing; ala FSU this year.

Thanks for the TG info btw.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 6th, 2009, 12:05 PM
It's official now...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.georgiasoutherneagles.com...B_OEM_ID=18700

Sat, Sep 05 ALBANY (N.Y.) STATESBORO TBA
Sat, Sep 12 South Dakota State at Brookings, S.D. 7:00 p.m.
Sat, Sep 19 WESTERN CAROLINA STATESBORO TBA
Sat, Sep 26 Elon at Elon, N.C. TBA
Sat, Oct 03 Wofford at Spartanburg, S.C. TBA
Sat, Oct 10 North Carolina at Chapel Hill, N.C. TBA
Sat, Oct 17 CHATTANOOGA STATESBORO TBA
Sat, Oct 24 Appalachian State Boone, N.C. TBA
Sat, Nov 07 Samford at Birmingham, AL TBA
Sat, Nov 14 FURMAN STATESBORO TBA (Homecoming)
Sat, Nov 21 THE CITADEL STATESBORO TBA

PWN 'EM
GATA!

WUTNDITWAA
February 6th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Go Eagles! GATA-Holes!

Now, to the bathroom to wash my mouth out with soap.

ElSissy
February 6th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I thought UNC had BCS aspirations, yet they schedule two FCS schools. Butch was talking about trying to schedule Penn State this year. I can't believe the only other option was GaSo when that deal fell through. UNC seems to be talking the talk, but not walking the walk.

GaSouthern
February 6th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I just hope we can pull a Furman and WAX them!