PDA

View Full Version : Ok...Who's going to win the SoCon?

WCU LawCat
April 29th, 2005, 11:14 AM
I can't wait any longer to see what everybody thinks. I'm not going to predict an order of finish this year because I usually end up being right...HA. I will say that I think Furman will take the cake. Whats your order of finish?

Lapper
April 29th, 2005, 11:20 AM
The oracle has told me......UTC. Socrates...what an idiot. ;)

blueballs
April 29th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Whoever wins the November game in Statesboro between Furman and GSU...

OL FU
April 29th, 2005, 12:54 PM
I think the odds of GSU slipping early is more likely than Furman. As good as the quarterback might be, I think it will take a little while to run the option proficiently. On the other hand, by the end of the season, playing at Paulson will be difficult. While my heart obviously tells me not to write this I think GSU and FU both lose one with GSU getting the auto bid.

1. GSU
1. Furman
3. Wofford
4. ASU
5. WCU
6. Citadel
7. Chattanooga (We have been waiting on the Mocs, so I will believe it when I see it.)
8. Elon

Although I think this year 3.4&5 are easily interchangible. Also, as time progresses and my bias increases my tie prediction is subject to change

chattanoogamocs
April 29th, 2005, 01:23 PM
(of course, it's still April, so no one really has any clue...including me...but what the heck :))

1. Furman (6-1) and Georgia Southern (6-1)
3. Wofford (5-2)
4. Appalachian (4-3)
5. Chattanooga (3-4) and Western Carolina (3-4)
7. Citadel (1-6)
8. Elon (0-7)

My thoughts on the Mocs...

I figure Chattanooga is 1-1 vs. ASU, Citadel, Elon and 2-0 vs WCU with Rodney Allison at the helm...they will be improved this year, they got WCU and Citadel at home, that ought to be good enough for 5th.

...and by placing them 5th, I have not actually put the Mocs any higher than last year (when the bottom 4 all tied for 5th :))

I think they will still struggle with Furman, Georgia Southern and Wofford...they have to go to Appalachian, but getting WCU and Citadel at home will be good and the Mocs won at Elon the season before last.

Honestly, if you told me that the Mocs would go 3-4 in the conference...at least play respectable with the upper teams...and could get at least two more OOC wins (going 5-6 overall)....I would take it to the bank and be happy with what most in Chattanooga would admit is legitimate progress.

eaglefan452
April 29th, 2005, 01:31 PM
I have to say that GSU will win it just because we get Furman in Statesboro this year. I do agree with OL FU in the fact that it will take a few games for our new quarterback (whomever it may be) to get a grip on the offense. In 2002, GSU had a new quarterback and we started the season a little shaky (1-2, including an upset in Statesboro to an up and coming Wofford team) but then we started to get things together and won some big games and were very close to making it to the championship.

Eagle_77
April 29th, 2005, 01:47 PM
I personally believe that the conference will be a little more competive outside the top two this year. I think with the recent slip of ASU and with WCU looking somewhat better that the middle of the pack will be tight. Here is how I think it will shake down.

1. GSU & Furman with the Eagles getting the auto.
3. Wofford
4. WCU
5. ASU
6. Chattanogga
7. Citadel
8. Elon

GannonFan
April 29th, 2005, 02:17 PM
I'd frankly be shocked if anyone other than GSU or Furman won the SoCon this year - who else could really contend???

Tribe4SF
April 29th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Furman. GSU will be down a little this year.

It is a 2 team conference, isn't it?

OL FU
April 29th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Furman. GSU will be down a little this year.

Absent material surprises from someone, unfortunately, this year it should be.

Eagle_77
April 29th, 2005, 03:04 PM

Here we go again. :deadhorse

If this is all you have to say stick with whos going to win the A-10. I know its hard to believe that there is a thread not about the A-10 but it clearly says SoCon.

With that being said I can see where you would think that GSU is going to be down this year but like must true top programs we reload not rebuild. I could see us having a iffy start but look for us to finish strong.

youwouldno
April 29th, 2005, 03:40 PM
1. Furman
2. GSU
3. WCU
4. Wofford
5. ASU
6. UTC
7. El Cid
8. Elon

It could go either way. It's not impossible for a team like WCU to step up but the top 2 does look pretty solidified. Since neither FU nor GSU has a I-A game, both teams could well be undefeated late into the season when we meet (not that all I-As would beat us, but only good BCS teams will even consider it, and naturally they would be favored).

Both teams have some questions though, maybe more so with GSU having to break in a QB... I wouldn't be shocked if GSU was upset early in the year-- though if its an OOC game that has no bearing on the SoCon standings/autobid. So GSU could win the SoCon but be 9-2 and Furman be 10-1 or something for seed considerations.

SoCon48
April 29th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Eagle 77, you'd think that all the authorities on the subject of the SoCon are actually A-10 fans.

pete4256
April 29th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Since I won the Furman page's contest for predicting the Socon last year, it's my duty to weigh in here (doubt they were happy that a GSU fan won, but Stumpy invited us).

It's still early, but based on spring, I'd have to say:

1) Citadel--new coach from the NE--enough said
2) WCU--no major felonies to this point
3) App--Great recruiting class
4) Furman--Isaac West and Cam Newton are gone
5) UTC--Big upgrades with transfers
6) Wofford--SAT scores slipped precipitously among this year's applicants
7) GSU--Early forecasts predict lots of rain next fall
8) Elon--Before today, I thought they were a baseball-only member of the Socon

Of course, all this may change when we actually get within a couple of months of the season

HensRock
April 29th, 2005, 05:13 PM
1) Citadel--new coach from the NE--enough said
2) WCU--no major felonies to this point
3) App--Great recruiting class
4) Furman--Isaac West and Cam Newton are gone
5) UTC--Big upgrades with transfers
6) Wofford--SAT scores slipped precipitously among this year's applicants
7) GSU--Early forecasts predict lots of rain next fall
8) Elon--Before today, I thought they were a baseball-only member of the Socon

Couldn't bring yourself to pick the Eagles below Elon could you? I mean - there's sandbagging, and then there's just plain lunacy...
:lmao:

TheValleyRaider
April 29th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Furman
GSU
Wofford
ASU
WCU
Citadel
Chattanooga
Elon

OL FU
April 30th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Eagle 77, you'd think that all the authorities on the subject of the SoCon are actually A-10 fans.

And don't forget, when considering seeding, Furman plays an A-10 this year so it is impossible to be undefeated.

catamount man
April 30th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Well, I guess it's never too early, so here goes:

1-Georgia Southern
2-Furman
3-Western Carolina
4-Wofford
5-App.State
6-Chattanooga
7-Elon
8-The Citadel

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Saint3333
April 30th, 2005, 11:24 AM
I hope all the coaches and players believe that ASU will be a 4th or 5th place team in the conference and overlook us. ASU didn't lose too many players, Davon will be missed, but there still are a lot of good WRs, and we get 2 defensive players back from injury. I'm not picking ASU to win the SoCon, but 5th, when is the last time that happened :confused:

Tribe4SF
April 30th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Jeez! You guys sure are touchy! Make a little joke and you go off on A-10 fans. Lighten up!

SpiritCymbal
April 30th, 2005, 08:41 PM
1. Furman
2. Wofford
3. GSU
4. ASU
5. WCU
6. Citadel
7. Chattanooga
8. Elon

Lapper
May 1st, 2005, 01:14 PM
1. Furman
2. GSU
3. Chattanooga
4. ASU
5. WCU
6. Wofford
7. Citadel
8. Elon

Hansel
May 1st, 2005, 01:39 PM
My uneducated opinion

1. Furman
2. GSU
3. WCU
4. Wofford
5. App
6. Chatt
7. Citadel
8. Elon

pete4256
May 1st, 2005, 03:06 PM
I hope all the coaches and players believe that ASU will be a 4th or 5th place team in the conference and overlook us. ASU didn't lose too many players, Davon will be missed, but there still are a lot of good WRs, and we get 2 defensive players back from injury. I'm not picking ASU to win the SoCon, but 5th, when is the last time that happened :confused:

I agree with you--the gloom and doom hanging over Moore in App-land is premature, I think. Yeah, so App sucked last year. So what?
Doesn't mean they'll finish under .500 this year.
As a GSU fan, I'm no more looking forward to the game in Boone than I usually am.

GSU Eagle
May 1st, 2005, 07:56 PM
We have 2 big question mark areas--- 1) Breaking in a new quarterback and 2) Big holes to fill on the defensive line.

Right now I would go with
1. Furman
2. GSU
3. Wofford
4. Appalachian St.
5. WCU
6. Chattanooga
7. Elon
8. Citadel

Until some of the bottom teams step up and really compete for a conference crown I will continue to pick Furman, GSU, Wofford and App is some order 1-4.

swole
May 1st, 2005, 08:30 PM
1) Furman
2) App State
3) Wofford
4) GSU
Our O can be a disaster w/o the right qb. I will wait until later to move us up.

Kill'em
May 1st, 2005, 09:32 PM
Our fate will rest with whomever plays QB and how well he progresses. Remember three years ago Chaz was named the starter during t he preseason and we came within an eyelash of the Championship game. this is with the rocky start. Don't count us out.

dungeonjoe
May 1st, 2005, 10:09 PM
1. GSU
2. Furman
3. App State
4. Wofford
5. WCU
6. Citadel
7. UTC
8. Elon

I don't buy the ASU off season troubles; they will bounce back. I give GSU the nod only beacuse the Furman game is at GSU.

swole
May 2nd, 2005, 09:32 AM
Our fate will rest with whomever plays QB and how well he progresses. Remember three years ago Chaz was named the starter during t he preseason and we came within an eyelash of the Championship game. this is with the rocky start. Don't count us out.
As explosive as Foster is, if he develops quickly, we could match that feat :cool:

SpiritCymbal
May 2nd, 2005, 09:45 AM
I have all the confidence in the world in Foster and Smiley's feet but neiter have the passing ability that our offense requires to be very effective. Now, while we are by no means a passing team, GSU's passing game is VERY important to our success. Neither one has shown that they can even throw a catchable ball not to mention completing difficult passes under pressure.

Until either one can improve on that, GSU will see 11 defense's line up with 8-9 guys in "the box" and no matter how quick our backfield may be, we just wont experience the same kind of success that Chaz had in 2001.

blueballs
May 2nd, 2005, 09:50 AM
The poster who earlier wrote the comment about App State is correct. App returns 18 starter and gets a couple of players back from injury. App was last year and always remains a very dangerous team at home. If their team grows up some and improves their road record they could surprise some folks.

As for GSU, the QB situation doesn't worry me in the least. GSU brings back 4 of the 5 starters from their OL (and another player who missed '04 but was a starter prior to injury), both slots, both FB's and their best receiver. GSU will score and score big, maybe not 47ppg+ like last year but definitely 35ppg+.

The big question in the 'Boro is the DL. GSU lost ALL their starters on the DL and had two of the key replacements hurt in the spring. This is an area where some young players will have to grow up quickly and become key contributors. This remains a huge ? until proven otherwise.

SoCon48
May 2nd, 2005, 11:13 AM
Pete made some good points. ASU sucked at times last year but was playing 18 freshmen and sophomores. Most teams do suck with that kind of roster.
ASU finished with a 4-3 record (tied with Wofford, whom ASU beat 38-17) and behind GSU (6-1) and Furman (6-1) (whom they beat, also).
ASU is listed behind Wofford in the 3rd place tie because of ASU's non-conference record compared to Wofford's rather pathetic OOC schedule. (ASU: Wyoming, EKU, NW State, Texas St) (Wofford: JC Smith, SC State, G-Webb, and VMI).

GSU 6-1
Furman 6-1
Wofford 4-3
ASU 4-3

The 18 freshmen and sophs received some valuable experience last year and should be improved. Big question is: How good were these defensive players when they were recruited? That could be what bites App in the butt. Corey Lynch's return from a season-long injury last year should help some.

SoCon48
May 2nd, 2005, 11:25 AM
Blueballs, your comment about being tough at home is true. Problem is ASU plays 7 road games (including LSU, Kansas, Furman, Wofford, and Eastern Kentucky). Only have four (WCU, Coastal Carolina, GSU, and Chatt) at home.

OL FU
May 2nd, 2005, 11:40 AM
I-AA 2005,

Defense is the question with App St and would appreciate your thoughts. The Furman game is a good example of having to out score an opponent (which App did well in that game). If the defense can stop good offenses oin 2005, App could be in the thick of it.

eaglefan452
May 2nd, 2005, 01:12 PM
While I don't think that App will win the SoCon, they can definitely make some noise in the conference. I always get nervous when GSU travels to Boone, really hasn't been the easiest place for the Eagles to win for a while now. The four home games will hurt them, but from what I understand, they will be returning a good core of players and they will be tough again.

GreatAppSt
May 2nd, 2005, 08:54 PM
1. Peltman
2. GSU/ASU. Both have big???s on defense.
3. Chatty. Too many years of underachieving for the talent level. This year could be the step out year with big time transfer help??
4. WCU. Same ol same ol. They hand over the Jug.
5. Woof Woof. The run is over.
6. Cid. Losing scores as one sided as the stadium.
7. Elonians. Their invasion of planet SoCon is turning into a murderous debacle.

ravinggoat
May 3rd, 2005, 09:28 AM
1. GSU
2. Furman
3. App State
4. Wofford
5. WCU
6. UTC
7. Citadel
8. Elon

SoCon48
May 3rd, 2005, 11:26 AM
Ol FU, the defense is still a big question mark. You hit the nail on the head with "if the defense can stop good offenses." Last year they had the excuse of being young. Like 9 of 11 were freshmen and sophs.
Problem still remains in knowing if they were talented enough to begin with.
They looked bad at times (to say the least), but I still say it would be difficult to find another group of freshmen and sophs who would have done any better. One or two youngsters aren't gonna kill a defense, but a squad of them is easy prey.
1. It's a shame they had to be put in that position to begin with last season. (too much attrition on top of graduation the previous year).
2. Is the speed/talent there to continue to make up for their youthfulness?

Overall. Have to be pessimistic, but it was surprising they were able to beat Wofford and Furman last year considering the performance against Chattanooga. Held Wofford to 17 but allowed Chattanooga to score 59. Something was bad wrong and may continue to be.

The no-huddle, passing offense leaves the defense on the field a lot even when the offense is moving the ball. Many think ASU has several good receivers to take the place of Fowlkes, but what many are missing is the point that Fowlkes' consistent performance took a lot of pressure off the others. In the spring game, Richie and co. didn't move the ball that well. Last year's back-up QB (Eisener) did, but the defensive players were mixed (no true first/second team D).
Running game? Haven't seen one at App in years. Atwater was no big loss. He seemed to only perform against weak defenses and the only consistent thing last year about his game was his fumbling the ball.
Red-shirt freshman CJ Underwood and soph Kevin Richardson will have to furnish what running game the Apps can muster. Yet un-proven but provided a couple bright spots in the spring game.

Can the defense stop good offenses? Question still remains from last year--can they stop ANY offenses consistently?

OL FU
May 3rd, 2005, 12:20 PM
Thanks I-AA 2005
Hopefully they will step up and play well consistently.

SoCon48
May 3rd, 2005, 03:01 PM
It's gonna be tough playing away games AT Furman, Wofford, Citadel, EKU, Kansas, and LSU. Even at Elon.
Furman's a tough opponent as well as a tough place for us to play. Wofford will be tough simply because they're a good opponnent (and they also somehow attract the dumbest refs). Citadel really comes at you in Charleston. Even though we beat EKU last year, they got us in Richmond the year before.
By far the roughest schedule I've ever seen at App. Stacked by the dealer.

'05 will be a field day for the App fans who are Moore haters.

Kill'em
May 4th, 2005, 03:06 PM
I think App would be better served junking their new pass-happy offense. When they were a balanced attack they were very tough to defend. Our defense knew they'd mainly throw the football and pinned their ears back and came after the QB. After he was hit a few times he was finished. App needs to run the football. Then we'll see the App St no one wants to play.

Just my opinion, though, doesn't count for much.

AppMan
May 5th, 2005, 06:59 AM
I like the way you guys keep placing ASU so far down the list. Just keep on looking past the Men in Black.

SoCon48
May 5th, 2005, 09:59 AM
If the defense turns out to be precocious for Sphs and juniors, APP will perform well.
LSU and Kansas games will make them look disproportionately bad.
Beating Furman and Woff last year was a good sign..although slim was the Furm game margin.

SoCon48
May 5th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Kill'em
1. Offensive line for App was simply mismatched vs GSU. Young and inexperienced. ASU's same QB and passing offense completed 40 of 45 vs Furman the week before (including 28 straight)
2. For a running game, it isn't strategy, lack of balance and de-emphasis. It's lack of recruiting success.

It wasn't that Richie was "hit a few times and was finished"..it was the fact that he just wasn't getting time to do anything and the receivers covered.

Hell, Richie can take a hit as good or better than anybody in the conference. He more than proved that vs Marshall first game of his freshman year.

Mr. C
May 5th, 2005, 09:58 PM
1. Coastal Carolina (snicker, snicker).

Mr. C
May 5th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Actually, App State should be much improved defensively with more experience, some key players back (Corey Lynch at free safety and Jason Hunter at defensive end) and some talented players who have been shuffled to new positions. Jeremy Wiggins should be fun to watch on offense as he moves from strong safety to slot receiver. The biggest question mark for me is in the running game. Don't judge ASU on its non-conference record either. This is one of three teams with a chance to win the SoCon.

Seriously, my picks are:
1. Furman (should have won the national championship last year)
2. Georgia Southern (could have won the national title last year)
3. Appalachian State (always does its best when the least is expected)
4. Chattanooga (will be the most improved team in the league)
5. Western Carolina (same old, same old)
6. Wofford (very much a rebuilding year)
7. Elon (slowly, but surely getting better)
8. Citadel (can the Dogs keep a coach for more than a year?)

Lapper
May 5th, 2005, 10:21 PM
1. Coastal Carolina (snicker, snicker).

I would of loved to see us play the "T-Dawgs" this year, but I can understand the need for $$$ during rebuilding stages. You guys will get the chance in two years when we join the hallow halls of the SoCon. :D

WCU LawCat
May 5th, 2005, 10:32 PM
I agree with your picks Mr. C. 1 and 2 could be either way and 7 and 8 could be either way. 3-6 will be determined by which team is tougher mentally.

ASU and WCU have the best shot at the 3 spot because they return the most and are not really "rebuilding." Chatty puts a different team on the field every year and can't get anything stable going. I agree that Chatty has tallent. Wofford has a good coach but they lost KEY players. QB is a Big Question along with replacing 3 DL's. Bethay will have to carry the Defense for them to be third. I think Chatty just needs to come together period.

Like I said before I'm not picking an order. WCU does have a lot to play for this season. It was stated in the paper by the AD that Briggs job is on the line. We lost by 3 at Wofford in the final 4 min of the game last season. GWU in OT. Chatty by 3. A 4-7 team could have been 7-4 if they would only get it together. Briggs taking over the OC spot this season might be the answer.

Jason Hunter at defensive end

Mr. C I thought he was MIA until he got his grades back up? I heard he was not even in school yet. Whats the scoop on him?

AppMan
May 7th, 2005, 06:33 AM
Mr. C I thought he was MIA until he got his grades back up? I heard he was not even in school yet. Whats the scoop on him?

I spoke to our DC after the final Spring practice and he said they are still hopeful Hunter will be back. It didn't sound to me like he was convinced of it happening.

Mr. C
May 7th, 2005, 06:59 PM
I spoke to our DC after the final Spring practice and he said they are still hopeful Hunter will be back. It didn't sound to me like he was convinced of it happening.
My sources (including the esteemed defensive coordinator) tell me Jason Hunter is making excellent progress on the grade front and they DO expect to see him in the lineup. Unless Jason has a big academic setback, I would be SHOCKED if he isn't around to give other SoCon teams fits.

Mr. C
May 7th, 2005, 07:16 PM
I agree with your picks Mr. C. 1 and 2 could be either way and 7 and 8 could be either way. 3-6 will be determined by which team is tougher mentally.

ASU and WCU have the best shot at the 3 spot because they return the most and are not really "rebuilding." Chatty puts a different team on the field every year and can't get anything stable going. I agree that Chatty has tallent. Wofford has a good coach but they lost KEY players. QB is a Big Question along with replacing 3 DL's. Bethay will have to carry the Defense for them to be third. I think Chatty just needs to come together period.

Like I said before I'm not picking an order. WCU does have a lot to play for this season. It was stated in the paper by the AD that Briggs job is on the line. We lost by 3 at Wofford in the final 4 min of the game last season. GWU in OT. Chatty by 3. A 4-7 team could have been 7-4 if they would only get it together. Briggs taking over the OC spot this season might be the answer.

Trust me on Chattanooga. I am a HUGE Rodney Allison fan and he is turning this program around. His first class of recruits will be juniors this season and he has a new, well-respected defensive coordinator with strong SoCon roots. The Mocs added just enough defensive parts to be very competitive this season. The Mocs didn't play enough defense to do much better than they did last season.

Kent Briggs has talent in Cullowhee, but has been a major disapointment. Outside of the win over ASU last season, he really hasn't accomplished anything. I, too, have heard he is on a very hot seat.

It is a totally rebuilding season for Wofford. I would be stunned to see the Terriers have a winning record, either in, or out, of SoCon play.

dungeonjoe
May 7th, 2005, 08:28 PM
2005 Wofford OOC
Sept. 3 - vs. Georgetown (Ky.), 7 p.m.
Sept. 10 - at West Virginia, TBA
Oct. 15 - vs. VMI, 1:30 p.m.
Nov. 19 - at Gardner-Webb, TBA

You'd be stunned if Wofford has a winning record here? :eek:

I think Mr. C meant it might be the OOC that Wofford has the best chance to win some games. I think the big race will again be for third in the SoCon. I see WCU and App duking it out for #3. Chatty I think needs one more year until they break out.

Wofford's chances will rise and fall with the qb collier and if the o-line gells. Based on his play last year we might even (gasp) throw the ball :eek: I am not certain of Bethay's status either. He had some heart related issues in a couple of games last year (racing pulse I think). We had some young talent last year step up, we'll see if they continue to develop in the toughtest conference in I-AA.

ccujacket
May 7th, 2005, 09:37 PM
2005 Wofford OOC
Sept. 3 - vs. Georgetown (Ky.), 7 p.m.
Sept. 10 - at West Virginia, TBA
Oct. 15 - vs. VMI, 1:30 p.m.
Nov. 19 - at Gardner-Webb, TBA

You'd be stunned if Wofford has a winning record here? :eek:
Do you remember last year's VMI/Wofford score, ralph?

WCU LawCat
May 8th, 2005, 04:29 AM
in the toughtest conference in I-AA.

Wait until the A-10 fans see the can you just opened!

I'd say that if there is a clear cut #3 at the end of the season then the SoCon is not the toughest. If 3-6 beat each other up like in baseball this year then I'd say the SoCon "might" be the toughest.

dungeonjoe
May 8th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Wait until the A-10 fans see the can you just opened!

I'd say that if there is a clear cut #3 at the end of the season then the SoCon is not the toughest. If 3-6 beat each other up like in baseball this year then I'd say the SoCon "might" be the toughest.

Glad you read my post all the way through, my fellow Rock Hill citizen!

OL FU
May 8th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Do you remember last year's VMI/Wofford score, ralph?

A Fluke! Wofford knew that their post season hopes disappeared the week before.

WCU LawCat
May 8th, 2005, 04:06 PM
my fellow Rock Hill citizen!

small world

The Gadfly
May 9th, 2005, 09:46 AM
>>Rock Hill native here. How is home now-a-days? :(

A Fluke! Wofford knew that their post season hopes disappeared the week before.
I think that's worse to give up like that. No school pride :rolleyes: .

OL FU
May 9th, 2005, 10:00 AM
>>Rock Hill native here. How is home now-a-days? :(

I think that's worse to give up like that. No school pride :rolleyes: .

The point was whether they would have a winning OOC record this year and last years VMI game was brought up. Last year's VMI game should not be a consideration. Wofford was a much better team than that game suggested.

The Gadfly
May 9th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Just messin' around FU. You guys should be a shoe in to win this year but keep your eye on the Dogs this year because I have a weird feeling that this coach and his spread option might do some damage. If Coastal was in the SoCon how do you think we would end up? :cool:

OL FU
May 9th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Just messin' around FU. You guys should be a shoe in to win this year but keep your eye on the Dogs this year because I have a weird feeling that this coach and his spread option might do some damage. If Coastal was in the SoCon how do you think we would end up? :cool:

I tend to defend my small private brethern as I hope they would do me.

Honestly it is hard for me to predict where CCU would finished. The schedules were so different. Last year would have depended on where you played APP since they could not win on the road. The teams you played that I have the most familiarity with were Davidson ( Close Game), VMI ( Close Game) and Gardner Web (12 points). Based on that, I would say last year you would have been fifth maybe sixth. But who knows? I am really interested in following you this year. The games with ASU, SC St and JMU are all on my calendar

soweagle
May 9th, 2005, 02:42 PM
I look for App.State to be much improved. Their record will probably not be too impressive with LSU and Kansas on the schedule but I have a feeling Richie Williams is going to have a huge year running and throwing. Still the defense will be the question mark. What happened to the two brothers that transfered from Wake that played defenseive line? They could be possibly firm up the d-line for App.

I predict SoCon to finish as:

Furman
GSU
App
Chatt
WCU
Wofford
Citadel
Elon

Josh
May 9th, 2005, 06:28 PM
My sources (including the esteemed defensive coordinator) tell me Jason Hunter is making excellent progress on the grade front and they DO expect to see him in the lineup. Unless Jason has a big academic setback, I would be SHOCKED if he isn't around to give other SoCon teams fits.

Just a note on him. He has all-socon potential. If he does play and gets his head right. he will be on the postseason all-socon teams.

Josh
May 9th, 2005, 06:45 PM
I will take a stab:
1. Furman- If WRs step up this team could be top 5. Ingle Martin should have a huge year.
2. Georgia Southern- Major ???s on defense, especially on the line. If Jayson Foster starts off hot watch out.
3. Western Carolina- That win over App was no fluke and with ASU being down after getting pounded on the road look for this team to surprise some people.
4. App State- Major ???s on defense, toughest schedule in I-AA and coaching make this team fall but they lose in close games. This team has balls playing this year's schedule though. Depth on defense will cost this team late in the season.
5. UTC- This team will give WCU and App all they can handle this year and could be a pleasant surprise. The last 2 recruiting classes will start kicking in some this year which can be scary.
6. Wofford- This team could be as high as 3rd but I just think ASU and UTC do pull wins over this team as well as those favored to beat them.
7. The Citadel- Has a tough out of conference schedule. This team will have trouble getting some confidence more than likely.
8. Elon- Always at the bottom of the barrell. This team has the most ???s of any team so of course they are last.

Just my thoughts.

Probable Players of the year:
Offense: RB Jermaine Austin, GSU- Has to carry the load with Foster being new and does a great job

Others in contention:
QB Richie Williams, ASU; QB Ingle Martin, Furman; RB John Taylor, Elon

Defense: LB William Freeman, Furman- Returning player of the year who has NFL potential

Others in contention:
LB Chad Nkang, Elon; DE Marques Murrell, ASU; FS Corey Lynch, ASU; FS AJ Bryant, GSU

OL: OG Chad Motte, GSU- Best returning blocker in the SoCon and potentially the top OG in I-AA, has NFL potential

Others in contention:
C Lance Wayne, GSU; OT Grant Oliver, ASU; OG Patrick Covington, Furman

Top 5 Overall talent:
1. LB William Freeman, Furman
2. RB Jermaine Austin, GSU
3. QB Richie Williams, ASU
4. FS AJ Bryant, GSU
5. QB Ingle Martin, Furman

Others in Contention:
FS Corey Lynch, ASU; LB Chad Nkang, Elon; OG Chad Motte, GSU

Tribe4SF
May 9th, 2005, 08:13 PM
......the toughtest conference in I-AA.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

OL FU
May 10th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Furman- If WRs step up this team could be top 5. Ingle Martin should have a huge year

That point is accurate and succinctly stated. Receivers have good hands but the deep threat will be diminished.

WCU LawCat
May 11th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Probable Players of the year: Jermaine Austin - GSU

Something tells me that he is going to get hurt again. Matthews may have to step in again.

RB John Taylor, Elon

I thought I read on the Elon board that he left school? Big Blow for a team that seems to be having trouble getting things started..

SpiritCymbal
May 12th, 2005, 12:10 AM
Something tells me that he is going to get hurt again. Matthews may have to step in again.

Who is Matthews?

WCU LawCat
May 12th, 2005, 12:34 AM
I'm sorry I ment Andrews :rolleyes:

wkuhillhound
May 12th, 2005, 04:58 AM
Is Wofford going to have a down year or is the middle of pack that good this year? I have seen a lot of predictions that puts Wofford as low as 6th but no higher than 3rd. Did graduation losses hit Wofford hard?

WCU LawCat
May 12th, 2005, 05:19 AM
Wofford will return 7 on both sides of the ball but Bethay is the only DL returning. In addition, Wofford lost all of its top QB's. They only have one QB on the entire roster right now. Some of the guys lost were KEY players.

OL FU
May 12th, 2005, 06:55 AM
Is Wofford going to have a down year or is the middle of pack that good this year? I have seen a lot of predictions that puts Wofford as low as 6th but no higher than 3rd. Did graduation losses hit Wofford hard?

Should be a combination of Wofford down, ASU,WCU and the Mocs (maybe) up.

The only thing we all agree on is that Elon will be #8.

DHS22P
May 12th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Wofford will win it easily.

Josh
May 12th, 2005, 07:54 PM

I thought I read on the Elon board that he left school? Big Blow for a team that seems to be having trouble getting things started..

I don't read school boards so I don't know. I know one thing Elon has not replied to me so if he is not coming back then they need to let I-AA.org know.

dungeonjoe
May 12th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Wofford will win it easily.

From your keyboard to God's ear (or monitor whichever the case may be);)

OL FU
May 13th, 2005, 07:59 AM
From your keyboard to God's ear (or monitor whichever the case may be);)

Better hope God is a Methodist.

dungeonjoe
May 13th, 2005, 08:13 AM

She is.

eaglefan452
May 13th, 2005, 08:39 AM

Whatever denomination he or she :rolleyes: is, I am sure he is a GSU fan. :D :D :D

dungeonjoe
May 13th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Whatever denomination he or she :rolleyes: is, I am sure he is a GSU fan. :D :D :D

Yes, God even loves the heathens among us :D

eaglefan452
May 13th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Yes, God even loves the heathens among us :D

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

WCU LawCat
May 17th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Ok UTC just lost the better part of its defense so now what is your order of finish in the Socon?

blur2005
May 17th, 2005, 11:49 PM
Well...

1. Furman
2. GSU

There aren't any other teams...well, I guess there are so:
3. App St.
4. WCU
5. Wofford
6. UTC
7. Citadel
8. Elon

Saint3333
May 18th, 2005, 07:40 AM
I'd love to sign a home and home with JMU, I remember going to games between the two teams in the early 90's. One of the best comebacks even when ASU scored 3 TDs late in the fourth quarter to beat the Dukes.

I'm sure you remember ASU once had a team, maybe they will again soon.

SoCon48
May 18th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Among those "no other teams" JMU is 3-10 vs ASU and 1-2 vs Furman.