PDA

View Full Version : Hampton fires coach Jerry Holmes

WileECoyote06
January 27th, 2009, 06:50 AM
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt_d1holmes_0127jan27,0,5989082.story

Snippet:

Jerry Holmes' tenure at Hampton lasted just one season.

Holmes was dismissed as the Pirates' head coach on Monday and replaced with veteran assistant Donovan Rose.

Hampton athletic director Lonza Hardy said the university learned that Pirate recruits were being told Holmes, a former NFL assistant, was interviewing for professional coaching jobs.

"He did indicate that he was in conversation with some of the entities about employment," Hardy said. "We informed him that we felt it was not in the best interest of the program at this critical time, right before signing day, to have our head coach interviewing for other positions."

eaglesrthe1
January 27th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Hmmm... so much better to switching head coaches right before signing day.

elon77
January 27th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Sounds like HU was caught between a rock and another rock.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 27th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I think there may have been even more to this story than meets the eye. Last year, Hampton welcomed a slew of different transfers - I think I called them "Transfer U" at one point - and I'm wondering if recruiting violations may be a part of this.

I wonder what Joe Taylor thinks of all of this.

Tribe4SF
January 27th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I think there may have been even more to this story than meets the eye. Last year, Hampton welcomed a slew of different transfers - I think I called them "Transfer U" at one point - and I'm wondering if recruiting violations may be a part of this.

I wonder what Joe Taylor thinks of all of this.

I doubt there were any recruiting violations, and I don't know why you'd insinuate that. If you want some insight into the rest of the story go to meacfans.com and listen in.

Transfers are nothing new for HU. They had plenty when Joe Taylor was there, and that's one thing that didn't change when Holmes took over.

Menudo
January 28th, 2009, 02:07 PM
i just hope Hampton does not keep trading in coached every year. You have to remember that players need to learn a system and be developed. I hope the next coach gets a chance to develop the players

DSUrocks07
January 28th, 2009, 09:20 PM
IMO I think of this as a clean break from the legacy of Joe Taylor. Hampton wants to have a fresh start, more power to them.

blackcaesar3k5
January 29th, 2009, 02:28 AM
dsurocks07, actually coach Rose was assistant under coach Taylor..

DSUrocks07
January 29th, 2009, 04:06 AM
dsurocks07, actually coach Rose was assistant under coach Taylor..

Never mind...thats what I get for NOT reading the article xlolx

Looks like to me that the Hampton AD pulled a "Gene DiFillippo"

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28498583/

boozeANDammo
January 29th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Isn't this Hampton's 3rd HC in as many years? Seems like that program is in a bit of disarray right now.

HIU 93
January 30th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Isn't this Hampton's 3rd HC in as many years? Seems like that program is in a bit of disarray right now.

Actually, Joe Taylor's tenure was from 1992-2007. Coach Fred Freeman was there from 1984-1991. So, this is actually our 4th coach in 25 years. Do some research.

boozeANDammo
January 30th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Am I missing something?

Joe Taylor - leaves for FAMU in 2007
Jerry Holmes - hired in 2008
Donovan Rose - hired in 2009

I think my statement stands... even without your recommended research.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 30th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Even more intriguing - Holmes was promoted once Taylor was shoved out the door. Now Holmes was shoved out the door, and Rose took his place. Both occurred after Taylor (and then Holmes) were sniffing around other jobs.

boozeANDammo
January 30th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Couldn't agree more LFN... something seems askew in Hampton. The classic 'couldn't agree on the direction of the program' card was played. Hmmm... you'd think that would be a topic of conversation upon hire, eh? IMO, the regime changes over the last three years and they way they transpired is trending toward a power play... possibly the AD or Prez who is trying to find either 1) a pawn or 2) the next reincarnation of Taylor. Either way, something smells at the mouth of the HRBT (and literally too).

HIU 93
January 30th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Couldn't agree more LFN... something seems askew in Hampton. The classic 'couldn't agree on the direction of the program' card was played. Hmmm... you'd think that would be a topic of conversation upon hire, eh? IMO, the regime changes over the last three years and they way they transpired is trending toward a power play... possibly the AD or Prez who is trying to find either 1) a pawn or 2) the next reincarnation of Taylor. Either way, something smells at the mouth of the HRBT (and literally too).

More crap from those who can only hang their hat on their football program. When y'all start losing again- and you will, all teams do- what are you going to do then?

We are Hampton, whether we win another game, or even if we were to decide to end the prograsm. We'll still be Hampton, and you'll still be hanging your hat on a football program.

When you become a Silver level donor (or higher) to the NHAA, you can come talk to me about Hampton. Until then, you know as much as you do right now. Not one damn thing.

DSUrocks07
January 30th, 2009, 11:50 PM
More crap from those who can only hang their hat on their football program. When y'all start losing again- and you will, all teams do- what are you going to do then?

We are Hampton, whether we win another game, or even if we were to decide to end the prograsm. We'll still be Hampton, and you'll still be hanging your hat on a football program.

When you become a Silver level donor (or higher) to the NHAA, you can come talk to me about Hampton. Until then, you know as much as you do right now. Not one damn thing.

xnonono2x

Apparently Hampton is off limits from all future discussions on AGS...xrolleyesx

[/end thread]

Tribe4SF
January 31st, 2009, 03:23 AM
Even more intriguing - Holmes was promoted once Taylor was shoved out the door. Now Holmes was shoved out the door, and Rose took his place. Both occurred after Taylor (and then Holmes) were sniffing around other jobs.

HU's president does not take kindly to disloyalty, and you can bet that if there's a coaching change, he's the one making the decision. If looking around got Joe Taylor fired, Holmes didn't stand a chance.

Syntax Error
January 31st, 2009, 04:28 AM
HU's president does not take kindly to disloyalty, and you can bet that if there's a coaching change, he's the one making the decision. If looking around got Joe Taylor fired, Holmes didn't stand a chance.Or maybe if HU's president can't take keeping good coaches because others are interested then he begets what he sows? Is the president the decisionmaker here? Other schools keep their good coaches, doing what it takes, in the same circumstances.

Maybe HIU 93 can shed some light.

TribeNomad
January 31st, 2009, 06:18 AM
I admit I have not researched this issue--but as far as the HU prez is concerned, I recall the WM/HU game where after a disputed call (it was indeed a questionable call) the prez went on the field to confront the official----classic!!

WileECoyote06
January 31st, 2009, 12:32 PM
HU's president does not take kindly to disloyalty, and you can bet that if there's a coaching change, he's the one making the decision. If looking around got Joe Taylor fired, Holmes didn't stand a chance.

I thought Bill Hayes lured Joe Taylor to Florida A & M? I didn't think it was a firing. I doubt that happened; Taylor has meant too much to Hampton football.

Tribe4SF
January 31st, 2009, 02:29 PM
I thought Bill Hayes lured Joe Taylor to Florida A & M? I didn't think it was a firing. I doubt that happened; Taylor has meant too much to Hampton football.

As I recall the sequence of events, Taylor interviewed for the Western Carolina job, and it was announced that he would be hired. He then changed his mind, and Harvey wouldn't let him stay. It was after that he got the FAMU position.

Tribe4SF
January 31st, 2009, 02:33 PM
I admit I have not researched this issue--but as far as the HU prez is concerned, I recall the WM/HU game where after a disputed call (it was indeed a questionable call) the prez went on the field to confront the official----classic!!

Calling that a questionable call is putting it mildly. I refer to that as "The Robbery by the Sea Game". Harvey was beside himself, and I thought he might go down with a stroke. Three of the MEAC officials from that game were fired the following week. Single worst call (no call) I've ever seen.

Syntax Error
January 31st, 2009, 02:47 PM
"Hampton University President Strikes Again"
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2008/01/01/hampton_university_president_strikes_aga_2?blog=2
Bill Harvey’s list of New Year’s resolutions never changes.
Shed a few pounds.
Read a good book or two.
Remind everyone exactly who calls the shots at Hampton University.Harvey responded himself to that article:
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2008/01/18/column-on-hu-unwarranted?blog=2

Now he kicks out (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/01/27/holmes-out-as-hampton-head-football-coac?blog=2) transfer happy (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2008/08/12/opinion-are-hampton-s-transfers-a-gamble?blog=2)Holmes.

Libertine
January 31st, 2009, 08:15 PM
As I recall the sequence of events, Taylor interviewed for the Western Carolina job, and it was announced that he would be hired. He then changed his mind, and Harvey wouldn't let him stay. It was after that he got the FAMU position.

This is the correct sequence.

Tribe4SF
February 1st, 2009, 06:23 AM
"Hampton University President Strikes Again"
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2008/01/01/hampton_university_president_strikes_aga_2?blog=2H arvey responded himself to that article:
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2008/01/18/column-on-hu-unwarranted?blog=2

Now he kicks out (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/01/27/holmes-out-as-hampton-head-football-coac?blog=2) transfer happy (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2008/08/12/opinion-are-hampton-s-transfers-a-gamble?blog=2)Holmes.

Dave Fairbank is still on this story, and Harvey and Hardy will need to craft another rebuttal.

"Another HU departure seems ill-timed"

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt_hucolumn0131jan31,0,4910629.column

TribeNomad
February 1st, 2009, 06:57 AM
I think all agree it was a poor call--we have all also seen our share of crappy calls (I have seen too many within the confines of Zable), but the reaction of the highest ranking admin. was the most astounding feature of that game.

HIU 93
February 3rd, 2009, 01:21 PM
I think all agree it was a poor call--we have all also seen our share of crappy calls (I have seen too many within the confines of Zable), but the reaction of the highest ranking admin. was the most astounding feature of that game.

I know the receiver- he's a good guy and a good friend. He can't keep a straight face when he says "I wasn't tackled."xlolx

Tribe4SF
February 3rd, 2009, 02:25 PM
I know the receiver- he's a good guy and a good friend. He can't keep a straight face when he says "I wasn't tackled."xlolx

Actually, he wasn't tackled. He went airborne to make the catch, and landed on his side, hips and legs on the ground, and popped up with his off hand. Should have been down at that point. So Mike can say that he wasn't tackled, but he still can't have a straight face!xnodx