PDA

View Full Version : Southland Conference Commissioners Fall Honor Roll

McTailGator
January 25th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I know this is just supposed to be about football, but we all need to realize that THIS is really what it is supposed to be about. xbowx

Capital One/Southland Conference Commissioners Honor Roll
Announced for 2008 Fall Semester

Commissioner’s honor roll recognizes 598 student-athletes, including three players of the year

FRISCO, Texas – Nearly 600 student-athletes have been named to the Southland Conference Commissioner’s Fall Academic
Honor Roll, the league office announced Thursday.

Four of the conference’s member schools saw at least 64 of their student-athletes named to the list, but no institution boasted more honorees than McNeese University, which put 70 on the honor roll for the second-consecutive year. Leading the fall charge for McNeese was Kamryn Koch, the 2008 Southland Soccer Player of the Year and 2008 Capital One/Student-Athlete of the Year, who boasted a 4.0 grade-point average in general studies.

Following a campaign that saw 55 Bearkats named to the Commissioner’s Fall Academic Honor Roll in 2007, Sam Houston State saw 69 of its student-athletes garner the same honor in 2008. Included among those selections were 10 student-athletes that earned a GPA of 4.0, which tied McNeese, Stephen F. Austin and Texas State for the most in the conference.

Of the 70 honor roll students for McNeese, 32 were football players, which was second in the SLC to SFA's 33 honor roll football players. McNeese's 2007 Championship team were first in both football and overall in 2007 as well.

Read More Here http://www.southland.org/pdf5/369915.pdf?ATCLID=3652282&SPSID=90019&SPID=10812&temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=18400

TexasTerror
January 25th, 2009, 12:21 PM
As I said on GeauxCowboys, we're seeing more and more athletes get honored.

Going to be a "fight" for the academic title with all these great student-athletes, but SHSU seems to turn it up a notch with our winter and spring sports, so hopefully we can win the SLC's UNOFFICIAL "academic championship" for the fifth straight year. :)

McTailGator
January 25th, 2009, 12:54 PM
As I said on GeauxCowboys, we're seeing more and more athletes get honored.

Going to be a "fight" for the academic title with all these great student-athletes, but SHSU seems to turn it up a notch with our winter and spring sports, so hopefully we can win the SLC's UNOFFICIAL "academic championship" for the fifth straight year. :)

Someone else mentioned that if these kids were involved in a bar fight their names would be all over the headlines and the TV stations and news papers would make it the headline for a week to 10 days.

But good grades make a 6th page story buried underneath the box scores, and probably never makes the last sports story on the 10:PM news.

TribeNomad
January 25th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Sad but true.........I would blame the media (which I love to do), but if the populace didn't embrace and crave the inane content it would change!!!

BEAR
January 25th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Congrats to all the student-athletes! I did notice that "soccer" probably had the most honored students in everyone's list. I wonder if there is a correlation between kicking a ball and kicking butt in a classroom? xlolx

McTailGator
January 25th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Congrats to all the student-athletes! I did notice that "soccer" probably had the most honored students in everyone's list. I wonder if there is a correlation between kicking a ball and kicking butt in a classroom? xlolx

Ha!

I guess all those Soccer Moms ride their kids butts at Homework time too.

The SLC Player of the Year from McNeese has a 4.0.

I had a 4.0 for about ONE DAYwhen I was in college. xsmiley_wix

GAD
January 25th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Someone else mentioned that if these kids were involved in a bar fight their names would be all over the headlines and the TV stations and news papers would make it the headline for a week to 10 days.

But good grades make a 6th page story buried underneath the box scores, and probably never makes the last sports story on the 10:PM news.
So true

TexasTerror
February 5th, 2009, 10:09 PM
And SHSU prepares to win our fifth title...

Congrats to Coach Thompson and ALL of the student-athletes who put forth the effort on the field of play and in the classroom! This is a great accomplishment!

Looks like SHSU will win the academic title once more this spring, for what -- the fifth year in a row to win the OVERALL title? We are the premier academic institution in the conference as far as athletics is concerned...

Student-athletes at Sam Houston State produced an overall grade point average of 2.94 during the 2008 fall semester, the highest semester grade point average ever for the Bearkat athletic department.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=3662963