PDA

View Full Version : Did Flacco DIS the Blue Hens and FCS ?

phillyAPP
January 22nd, 2009, 06:29 PM
Please explain before i have an uneducated opinion of him !!

SunCoastBlueHen
January 22nd, 2009, 06:31 PM

In order for anyone to comment, you need to elaborate on WTF you are talking about. xconfusedx

SunCoastBlueHen
January 22nd, 2009, 06:32 PM
Yes, he called it the minor league.

Where, when, and it what context?

Syntax Error
January 22nd, 2009, 06:32 PM

[------------> Big Blank Space <--------------]How is nothing a dis on UD and FCS?

Syntax Error
January 22nd, 2009, 06:35 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2008-04-27-1965096895_x.htm

"I never really got a shot there," Flacco said. "I still carry that with me, that I'm a I-AA guy and had to go down to the minor leagues of college football and prove who I was. I'm going to carry that with me for the rest of my life, and hopefully use it for the best."

phillyAPP
January 22nd, 2009, 06:43 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2008-04-27-1965096895_x.htm

WOW !!

Minor League to prove he could play...... The Philly in me wants to say FU...the APP in me wants to know more before I give him the Furman cheer !!!!!!

Syntax Error
January 22nd, 2009, 06:47 PM
Minor League to prove he could play......Well, he did prove he could be co-all conference at QB in the CAA, besides, that was an article from 4/27/2008.

phillyAPP
January 22nd, 2009, 06:52 PM
Well, he did prove he could be co-all conference at QB in the CAA

Any Hens out there??????

Does he have a UD(minor league) diploma?

I hope he gives much money to his minor league school, that gave him the chance !!!

henfan
January 22nd, 2009, 07:00 PM
Flacco's actually made similar references long before that article appeared last year. The "minor league" reference was a swipe at those who view the FCS as the 'baby pool' and would otherwise diminish his potential for having played there. If you know enough about Joe, you'd understand the respect he has for FCS FB and, in particular, UD.

Ivytalk
January 22nd, 2009, 07:02 PM
Joe, as my mother used to say, "Don't bite the hand that feeds!"xpeacex

93henfan
January 22nd, 2009, 07:28 PM
This is old news.

By the way, the US landed someone on the moon, and would you believe, a black dude is President!

BEAR
January 22nd, 2009, 07:31 PM
Didn't most of our presidents go to "the minor league schools"? xlolx

BarefootApp
January 22nd, 2009, 07:35 PM
Then he needs to verbalize that respect. That's a funny way of showing it.

BarefootApp
January 22nd, 2009, 07:37 PM
Where's citdog been? I miss her.

93henfan
January 22nd, 2009, 07:49 PM
So let's be real for a second. Regardless of what Joe said or the context, does anyone here consider FCS to be major league? I surely don't. We are the second tier of a four-tier NCAA system. Let's not kid ourselves. AAA baseball is the second tier of a four-tier system too. Um, I think it's referred to as minor league as well.

And look, we know many of you App fans are Joe haters. That's cool. Enjoy it. Have a We Hate Joe Flacco party to celebrate the Ravens losing to the Steelers. The rest of us don't really give a *hit.

I don't understand why the App folks hate Flacco so much. You beat him soundly in the NC game. If AE ever made it big in the pros, which he won't, I'd be cheering him the whole way.

Ronbo
January 22nd, 2009, 07:58 PM
If you go to a AAA Pacific Coast League game it is pretty darn good baseball. Just smaller crowds, no name players (future stars some), less press coverage, etc. It's minor league but still quality. Same with FCS.

93henfan
January 22nd, 2009, 07:58 PM
If you go to a AAA Pacific Coast League game it is pretty darn good baseball. Just smaller crowds, no name players (future stars some), less press coverage, etc. It's minor league but still quality. Same with FCS.

I agree.

catdaddy2402
January 22nd, 2009, 08:18 PM

Bingo.

GannonFan
January 22nd, 2009, 08:29 PM
Don't understand the point of the thread - Joe's cool, we're cool with Joe, that's it. Nothing to see here. xpeacex

YoUDeeMan
January 22nd, 2009, 08:55 PM
Don't understand the point of the thread - Joe's cool, we're cool with Joe, that's it. Nothing to see here. xpeacex

As someone posted earlier, Joe has said some similar things before. But, you have to take it in context. He is/was referring to the world's (read that as the scouts, the bloggers, etc) point of view that FCS/I-AA is the minor leagues.

It is the other people who always pigeonhole a particular game and label things. To Joe, it is all just football no matter where/who you are playing. He knows that I-AA isn’t really the minor leagues. Remember, he was throwing to Ben Patrick.

McNeese75
January 22nd, 2009, 09:21 PM
Flacco's actually made similar references long before that article appeared last year. The "minor league" reference was a swipe at those who view the FCS as the 'baby pool' and would otherwise diminish his potential for having played there. If you know enough about Joe, you'd understand the respect he has for FCS FB and, in particular, UD.

Nice signature xnodx We drank Blue Hen on the plane back to La after the 97 semi game ;)

Appstate29
January 22nd, 2009, 09:31 PM
So let's be real for a second. Regardless of what Joe said or the context, does anyone here consider FCS to be major league? I surely don't. We are the second tier of a four-tier NCAA system. Let's not kid ourselves. AAA baseball is the second tier of a four-tier system too. Um, I think it's referred to as minor league as well.

And look, we know many of you App fans are Joe haters. That's cool. Enjoy it. Have a We Hate Joe Flacco party to celebrate the Ravens losing to the Steelers. The rest of us don't really give a *hit.

I don't understand why the App folks hate Flacco so much. You beat him soundly in the NC game. If AE ever made it big in the pros, which he won't, I'd be cheering him the whole way.

are you kidding? We Love Joe! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx Wish he was in the Super Bowl

BarefootApp
January 23rd, 2009, 06:30 AM
I like Joe. He and Daniel Wilcox are the only reason I pulled for the Ravens. What do you think Joe has ever done to make App St. fans "hate him"? That little rant was ridiculous. And btw, thanks for the supporive words for AE. Classy.

bluehenbillk
January 23rd, 2009, 07:18 AM
This is old news, I posted it over a week ago. You guys must have small equipment the way you deal with your insecurity. Yep, he called it minor league football & later on the article KC Keeler commented on meetings with NFL scouts telling them "If Joe went to USC or a big-time 1-A school, we're not having the discussion on whether he should be a 1st round draft pick, but whether he should be the 1st overall pick in the draft".

th0m
January 23rd, 2009, 08:19 AM
Yes Joe 'dissed' the FCS by losing to a QB from Miami-OH. Everybody knows most FCS schools could run circles around that school!

93henfan
January 23rd, 2009, 08:21 AM
Yes Joe 'dissed' the FCS by losing to a QB from Miami-OH. Everybody knows most FCS schools could run circles around that school!

Levity. I like it.xthumbsupx xlolx

henfan
January 23rd, 2009, 09:56 AM
Nice signature xnodx We drank Blue Hen on the plane back to La after the 97 semi game ;)

You got about the last of the stuff then. You guys must have put the Blackened Voodoo curse on Blue Hen Brewery. It went out of business in April 1998.

89Hen
January 23rd, 2009, 10:02 AM
FWIW, I don't have a problem with what he said. xpeacex

andy7171
January 23rd, 2009, 10:03 AM
Anyone that transfers from FBS DOWN to FCS thinks this way.

Are you implying that FBS football is not supreior to FCS??? What was our record against them in '08?

SideLine Shooter
January 23rd, 2009, 10:39 AM
FWIW, I don't have a problem with what he said. xpeacex

Don't bother me either. Still like Flacco. He should have a great future in the NFL.

mcveyrl
January 23rd, 2009, 10:41 AM
Actually, it's probably a pretty good analogy. I've been to major league games. There's a lot of people, it takes forever to get to the stadium and everything is overpriced (including the tickets). I would much rather go to a minor league game.

This year, I went to the VT-Furman game. WAAAAYYY too crowded for my family and I, took 30 minutes to walk to the stadium and we were crammed like sardines the whole time in a section where the players looked tiny. Compare that to my JMU experience where we tailgate, get to our seats quick. The kids get to run on the field afterwards, we're close to the field for the game. My wife and I both enjoy that much more. Not to mention the cost of attendance difference.

FCS is the "minor league" equivalent to FBS. As somebody stated, we're the AAA affiliates, but still minor compared to FBS. Not a dis at all. And for whoever suggested the thing about the degrees, I'm sure he was not commenting on academics.

89Hen
January 23rd, 2009, 10:44 AM
This year, I went to the VT-Furman game. WAAAAYYY too crowded for my family and I, took 30 minutes to walk to the stadium and we were crammed like sardines the whole time in a section where the players looked tiny. Compare that to my JMU experience where we tailgate, get to our seats quick. The kids get to run on the field afterwards, we're close to the field for the game. My wife and I both enjoy that much more. Not to mention the cost of attendance difference.
Funny you mention VT. I brought a VT fan to a Hens game a few years ago and he loved it for all the reasons you list above. He couldn't get over how accessable everything was and he said that at 22,000 it wasn't that much less exciting. I think it did help that it was in 2003 when the Hens were having a decent year. xsmiley_wix

mcveyrl
January 23rd, 2009, 10:55 AM
Funny you mention VT. I brought a VT fan to a Hens game a few years ago and he loved it for all the reasons you list above. He couldn't get over how accessable everything was and he said that at 22,000 it wasn't that much less exciting. I think it did help that it was in 2003 when the Hens were having a decent year. xsmiley_wix

Yea, that's what's great. The excitement level is still there. Let's face it, at any game it's only as exciting as your section makes it, regardless if there's 70,000 or 700 at the game.

My sister's a senior at Tech and loves coming to JMU games (but she still loves her Hokies more :o )

ChickenMan
January 23rd, 2009, 11:12 AM
Whether we like or not.. excluding us hard-core FCS fans.. the reality is that nearly everyone else considers the FCS 'minor' league league.. when compared the best of the FBS.

89Hen
January 23rd, 2009, 11:32 AM
Yea, that's what's great. The excitement level is still there. Let's face it, at any game it's only as exciting as your section makes it, regardless if there's 70,000 or 700 at the game.

My sister's a senior at Tech and loves coming to JMU games (but she still loves her Hokies more :o )
We had season tix to UVA for the past 15 years (gave them up last year when they said we had to donate $1000 to keep them) and we rarely went down to C'ville. It was such a hassle dealing with the traffic, parking, crowds, etc...

BDKJMU
January 23rd, 2009, 11:42 AM

I would argue (in a sense) the 3rd tier of a 5 tier system:
BCS (66 teams)
non BCS FBS (54 teams)
FCS
Div II
Div III

BDKJMU
January 23rd, 2009, 11:43 AM

Are you implying that FBS football is not supreior to FCS??? What was our record against them in '08?

I think 2-85. xeekx

bluehenbillk
January 23rd, 2009, 11:44 AM
These threads are old & tired. We're not FBS, & will never compete week-in & week-out with FBS. There are small things like scholarship & depth differences between the two. So compared to them, yes, we're minor league, like it or not. Doesn't mean you can't be proud of it, Flacco is proud of it, but it is what is is.

Syntax Error
January 23rd, 2009, 11:55 AM
What Flacco could have said:
"I never really got a shot at Pitt," Flacco said. "I still carry that with me, that I'm a FCS guy. Ask Michigan and Navy if that's the minor leagues of college football. I proved who I was. I'm going to carry that with me for the rest of my life, and hopefully use it for the best."

jmufan999
January 23rd, 2009, 11:55 AM
uh, was he wrong? FCS IS the minor league. 2 leagues, FBS and FCS. one is the "major" league, so that would make the other the "minor" league. why is that such a big deal?

mcveyrl
January 23rd, 2009, 12:19 PM
We had season tix to UVA for the past 15 years (gave them up last year when they said we had to donate $1000 to keep them) and we rarely went down to C'ville. It was such a hassle dealing with the traffic, parking, crowds, etc...

The only time I've gone to a UVa game was the '07 Ga. Tech game when I stayed with a friend that has a house a few blocks from the stadium. That's the ONLY way I'd go back.

Syntax Error
January 23rd, 2009, 12:19 PM
uh, was he wrong? FCS IS the minor league. 2 leagues, FBS and FCS. one is the "major" league, so that would make the other the "minor" league. why is that such a big deal?Ask Minnesota if NDSU is "minor league", ask many of the others. I know some want JMU to be "major league" same as some of the other posters here want their team to be BCS. You don't have to put down one to be in another. FCS is different, not minor. Flacco is obviously using bias (even his own) as a motivational tool. xtwocentsx

mcveyrl
January 23rd, 2009, 12:22 PM
Ask Minnesota if NDSU is "minor league", ask many of the others. I know some want JMU to be "major league" same as some of the other posters here want their team to be BCS. You don't have to put down one to be in another. FCS is different, not minor. Flacco is obviously using bias (even his own) as a motivational tool. xtwocentsx

I don't see "minor league" as being a put down. You would expect major league teams to beat AAA teams most of the time because of the discrepency in talent, but the AAA team will win some.

To me (and it's definitely open to inerpretation) the statement spoke more to the overall difference in talent more than the brand of football played at each level. You really can't argue that a vast majority of the better individual talent goes FBS.

Retro
January 23rd, 2009, 12:47 PM
Guys, This is only 1 former FCS player's statement..

A few years ago, Former Mcneese state WR/KR was asked by some baltimore reporter, how it was transitioning to the pro's from a small school? B.J. said: I didn't go to a small school!xnonox

Remember, there are many FCS school's that have larger enrollments than FBS schools and the Top 15 FCS school's each year can easily be considered on the same level as the bottom 30 FBS teams, when it comes to play on the field.. Depending on the FBS school you compare it to, it's either perception or reality.

Syntax Error
January 23rd, 2009, 12:50 PM
... A few years ago, Former McNeese State WR/KR was asked by some baltimore reporter, how it was transitioning to the pro's from a small school?

B.J. said:
I didn't go to a small school!A good example of how a former FCS player can adjust misconceptions.

BJ Sams, today's BEST PERSON IN THE WORLD! xnodx

89Hen
January 23rd, 2009, 12:59 PM
I don't see "minor league" as being a put down. You would expect major league teams to beat AAA teams most of the time because of the discrepency in talent, but the AAA team will win some.

To me (and it's definitely open to inerpretation) the statement spoke more to the overall difference in talent more than the brand of football played at each level. You really can't argue that a vast majority of the better individual talent goes FBS.
mcvey has it right. Our attendance on average is much smaller than I-A. Our budgets on average are much smaller than I-A The I-A's enjoy a VERY large margin of victory over I-AA. I-A has far many more highly rated recuits than I-AA... Compared to I-A, I-AA IS minor. But the best part is... we don't care. We prefer it. xthumbsupx

phillyAPP
January 23rd, 2009, 01:02 PM

You are APP-solutely wrong about APP hating Joe. I think he is greatand most APP fans feel the same way. We all saw what he did in the championship game and we all see him in the PRO's. He is a "PLAYER" in any league. Joe showed his arm at every level he plays in. I think its Wanstadt that the A$$ !!!!!!

I just wanted to know the truth about the quotes.

Great Fact- Who was Joe Flacco's first NFL touchdown too and what school did he graduate from?

Answer: Applalachian State..... TE .....ASU Graduate ?????????

Danial Wilcox caught Joe's first NFL Touchdown !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phillyAPP
January 23rd, 2009, 01:07 PM
"I never really got a shot at Pitt," Flacco said. "I still carry that with me, that I'm a FCS guy. Ask Michigan and Navy if that's the minor leagues of college football. I proved who I was. I'm going to carry that with me for the rest of my life, and hopefully use it for the best."

BEERS for you for a WELL versed correction !!!!!!!!!!!!

bluehenbillk
January 23rd, 2009, 01:19 PM
Remember, the GPI is the minor-league version of the BCS...xlolx

blukeys
January 23rd, 2009, 02:48 PM

I agree that your statement would have been much more preferred than what Joe is quoted as saying. I also think that your quote is much closer to Joe's sentiments. I believe that if Joe had been interviewed by a reporter who was much more sympathetic to FCS than a quote such as yours might have been evoked. As perfect as this comment is, it is generated after considerable thought and not while standing in front of a reporter on the spur of the moment.

Dealing with the press is a tricky business. Reporters are not objective purveyors of the truthxnodx. In my experience they have the story and "the angle" established prior to interviews with the target of the interview. In such a case the reporter's questions can evoke the quote that they want.

I have seen many experienced public officials blow it in dealing with the press and having one ill considered word, that was taken out of context cause considerable embarassment.

To expect a 23 year old neophyte to know the exact correct wording that would have pleased everyone is ludicrous.

Anyone who carefully reads the entire article, knows that the author considers FCS to be inferior to FBS. The author's opinion was that the NFL was MLB with FBS being the Triple A baseball equivalent and FCS being the Double A being the baseball equivalent.

The author was actually writing a sympathetic article about Joe and his "struggles" to make it despite his "minor league" pedigree.

For those who are offended by Joe's alleged dissing of UD and FCS, I say get over yourselves. Those who make news such as Joe should be judged on the total volume of their work and not one stray comment made in an interview 10 months ago. This was One of numerous interviews Joe gave.
He has never dissed his UD heritage in the vast body of his interviews.

Now that the Joe naysayers can no longer say that the Ravens wasted a first round pick on him. They have to resort to dragging up one obscure quote from a very old interview conducted by a reporter who already views the FCS as minor league and was trying to write the story from that angle.

So, Joe's response was not perfect.

For those who want to criticize, Please send me the transcripts for all of your press interviews you gave when you were 23.

I do find it appalling that instead of applauding the accomplishments of someone from FCS, that there are those wanting to attack him for one comment given in an interview months ago.

ASUG8
January 23rd, 2009, 03:08 PM
I don't have any problems with Joe - I just don't like the Ravens. For what it's worth, I was pulling for Joe and Tim Hightower because ALL of the App fans hate everybody else in FCS. xnodx

Syntax Error
January 23rd, 2009, 03:17 PM
Remember, the GPI is the minor-league version of the BCS...Considering you are dying to have Delaware in the BCS you should really continue trying to get a grip on what the BCS is and how the GPI is nowhere near that. The GPI is used by the NCAA to help judge at-large bids to the NCAA Division I Championships. The BCS system is used to determine the two teams that play for their commercial crystal ball game and bowels. xrolleyesx

kirkblitz
January 23rd, 2009, 07:25 PM
uni brow can shove it xmadxxmadxxmadxxmadx

bleedblue
January 24th, 2009, 08:40 PM
A good example of how a former FCS player can adjust misconceptions.

BJ Sams, today's BEST PERSON IN THE WORLD! xnodx

I thought BJ Sams did go to a small school. No? BTW, when asked about transitioning from a small school to the NFL I think the reporter was refering to FCS(1AA) football school. You see most people think if you played football at a FCS level versus a FBS level then you played at the lower level. No disrespect just fact. Does not mean all FBS are better than FCS. Joe was right Delaware is the minors compared to Pitt. Phrase it anyway you want but Joe was correct.

GannonFan
January 24th, 2009, 10:43 PM

I'm sure the Triple-A teams in the Pittsbugh Pirates organization and the Kansas City Royals organization can beat their major league teams every now and then. Doesn't change the fact that they are still officially the minor leagues. Heck, most years you can count on one hand the number of wins the FCS gets against the FBS, versus tens of losses. Sure there are exceptions every now and then, but generally FCS gets very, very few wins.

I don't understand this weird aversion to recognizing that, to a pretty large extent, FCS is the minor leagues compared to FBS. Why is that a problem to acknowledge? And why would that hinder people's appreciation of the football played at this level?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, my enjoyment of watching FCS football every weekend is in no way impacted or diminished because of the opinions of the millions of people not in attendance at the same game I am. Enjoy it for what it is, don't worry about what the general public thinks. xthumbsupx

Syntax Error
January 24th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I thought BJ Sams did go to a small school...
... FCS is the minor leagues...Funny how FBS hugging so-called Delaware fans can be? We stink, we are the FCS... just ask these so-called Delaware fans. xcoffeex

Cleets
January 25th, 2009, 02:57 AM

Exactly...
FCS is "the minor leagues" and if you can't see that, then you are delusional

The recognition that it is a "step down" does not belittle or demean those who play at that level or those who love it and participate in it's events and it certainly does not mean that those who play at the FCS level cannot be successful at the very highest level of football (The NFL)

Point: recognizing levels of difficulty and separation of criteria in events is a critical assessment of "sanity" in adult humans - try to exhibit some of those basic skill sets

xlolx

ChickenMan
January 25th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Funny how FBS hugging so-called Delaware fans can be? We stink, we are the FCS... just ask these so-called Delaware fans. xcoffeex

I think you need a reality check.

FCS football doesn't stink.. we all love it. UD fans and most others reasonable posters accept it for what it is.. but the fact is that it is not near the level of the top FBS programs. FCS champ Richmond was a great team in '08.. but only a mental case would attempt to compare the Spiders to the likes of Southern Cal or Florida. Whether you choose to label them.. DI/DII or I-A/IAA or FBS/FCS or Major/Minor won't change that fact.

Ronbo
January 25th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I think you need a reality check.

FCS football doesn't stink.. we all love it. UD fans and most others reasonable posters accept it for what it is.. but the fact is that it is not near the level of the top FBS programs. FCS champ Richmond was a great team in '08.. but only a mental case would attempt to compare the Spiders to the likes of Southern Cal or Florida. Whether you choose to label them.. DI/DII or I-A/IAA or FBS/FCS or Major/Minor won't change that fact.

Or Utah! xnodx

89Hen
January 25th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Funny how FBS hugging so-called Delaware fans can be? We stink, we are the FCS... just ask these so-called Delaware fans. xcoffeex
Where did anyone say anything close to "we stink"? xrolleyesx

GannonFan
January 25th, 2009, 08:33 PM

Uh, come on, let's try a little reading comprehension. I love Delaware football. Delaware football, and all of FCS, compared to FBS, is minor league football. And I love FCS football. What's the problem with that? xconfusedx

Syntax Error
January 25th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Uh, come on, let's try a little reading comprehension. I love Delaware football. Delaware football, and all of FCS, compared to FBS, is minor league football. And I love FCS football. What's the problem with that? xconfusedxStop attacking FCS and fans who like FCS. I have no idea what your deal is but this is an FCS football board so please take your FBS luvvin' elsewhere. xthumbsupx Continuing to degrade and denigrate FCS is unacceptable to me. xnonox

Mod22
January 25th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Keep the personalities out of the conversation, please.

GannonFan
January 25th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Uh, come on, let's try a little reading comprehension. I love Delaware football. Delaware football, and all of FCS, compared to FBS, is minor league football. And I love FCS football. What's the problem with that? xconfusedx

Stop attacking FCS and fans who like FCS. I have no idea what your deal is but this is an FCS football board so please take your FBS luvvin' elsewhere. xthumbsupx Continuing to degrade and denigrate FCS is unacceptable to me. xnonox

I bolded the pertinent parts from my quote above for you. If you want to make up things then please take that elsewhere - I stand by my quote - it is possible to love minor league football. xthumbsupx

Syntax Error
January 25th, 2009, 08:52 PM
On ANY GIVEN SATURDAY .... Minor League namecallers.

Sorry UD has sunk but have faith they can once again rise above your "MINOR LEAGUE".

Ud1Hens
January 25th, 2009, 09:06 PM
This thread has gotten flat out ridiculous. I think people are just getting hung up on terminology. The beauty of the FCS is these players took a chance on a "lower level" of football and didn't buy into the hoopla recruiting of major FBS programs with their false promises, etc. Many have and will go on to have great NFL careers. I am proud to be a Delaware and FCS football fan. As for Flacco, every since he was draft eligible people have been questioning the level of competition at the FCS level. I'm sure he was sick of it and has given the media "fine, take your minor league definition and shove it." As for getting all bent out of shape about someone thinking the FCS is not a talented as the major FBS teams of the world, relax. We're all supporters of FCS football or we wouldn't be 1) on this board 2) cheering for FCS teams when they travel to FBS home sites 3) supporting our teams through thick and thin.

Syntax Error
January 25th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Joe Flacco is a great guy. PERIOD. No matter whether he has the verbal skills to not dis his college team/level or not, the guy is fine. I'll vouch for him. xtwocentsx

Ronbo
January 25th, 2009, 10:15 PM
This thread has gotten flat out ridiculous. I think people are just getting hung up on terminology. The beauty of the FCS is these players took a chance on a "lower level" of football and didn't buy into the hoopla recruiting of major FBS programs with their false promises, etc. Many have and will go on to have great NFL careers. I am proud to be a Delaware and FCS football fan. As for Flacco, every since he was draft eligible people have been questioning the level of competition at the FCS level. I'm sure he was sick of it and has given the media "fine, take your minor league definition and shove it." As for getting all bent out of shape about someone thinking the FCS is not a talented as the major FBS teams of the world, relax. We're all supporters of FCS football or we wouldn't be 1) on this board 2) cheering for FCS teams when they travel to FBS home sites 3) supporting our teams through thick and thin.

95% of FCS players didn't ever receive an offer from FBS and 30% of them walk on in FCS. How is that taking a chance on FCS? At Montana we get 1-2 recruits a year that actually had FBS offers, we give out 8-10 full schollies, 10-15 half schollies, and have the rest walk on. Most FCS players are there because they didn't have a choice. Most guys that get FBS offers go there. Most HS players will go to a 3-9 FBS school before they will go to a 14-2 FCS school. We see it every year in our recruiting.

blukeys
January 26th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Joe Flacco is a great guy. PERIOD. No matter whether he has the verbal skills to not dis his college team/level or not, the guy is fine. I'll vouch for him. xtwocentsx

So does that mean you are OK with this outdated comment Joe made last April or not???

I agree that you had a better rejoinder to the reporter's question then what Joe gave.

My view was that the reporter had an agenda that Joe's comments could be applied to. I think Joe was and probably still is very inexperienced at dealing with the NewsMedia.

Where am I wrong on this???

89Hen
January 26th, 2009, 08:17 AM
On ANY GIVEN SATURDAY .... Minor League namecallers.

Sorry UD has sunk but have faith they can once again rise above your "MINOR LEAGUE".
Stop with the inferiority complex. 2008 Week 1 results....

Ball State 48 - Northeastern 14
Central Michigan 31 - Eastern Illinois 12
Eastern Michigan 52 - Indiana State 0
Connecticut 35 - Hofstra 3
Georgia Tech 41 - Jacksonville State 14
Cincinnati 40 - Eastern Kentucky 7
Miami (FL) 52 - Charleston Southern 7
Iowa State 44 - South Dakota State 17
LSU 41 - Appalachian State 13
Ohio State 43 - Youngstown State 0
Penn State 66 - Coastal Carolina 10
Iowa 46 - Maine 3
Georgia 45 - Georgia Southern 21
Air Force 41 - Southern Utah 7
West Virginia 48 - Villanova 21
Navy 41 - Towson 13
Maryland 14 - Delaware 7
Marshall 35 - Illinois State 10
Brigham Young 41 - Northern Iowa 17
North Carolina 35 - McNeese State 27
UCF 17 - South Carolina State 0
Oklahoma 57 - Chattanooga 2
Texas Tech 49 - Eastern Washington 24
South Florida 56 - Tennessee-Martin 7
Arkansas 28 - Western Illinois 24
Duke 31 - James Madison 7
Houston 55 - Southern University 3
San Jose State 13 - UC Davis 10
Boise State 49 - Idaho State 7
Nevada 49 - Grambling State 13
Cal Poly 29 - San Diego State 27
Arizona State 30 - Northern Arizona 13

You know I love I-AA as much as anyone here, but to bury your head in the sand or get offended when somebody tells you the truth that I-A is superior on the field is just plain silly. xrulesx

UNHFan
January 26th, 2009, 10:43 AM
He is dead to me!! He is Fredo to me!! And I was pulling for him all the way!

henfan
January 26th, 2009, 12:11 PM

Perhaps the author of Flacco's 4/08 quote was guilty of a simple 'syntax error' or, perhaps, just perhaps, people are reading waaaaay too much into the comment and projecting their inferiority complex.xnodx

As I stated way back at the beginning of the thread, it's strongly within the realm of possibility that Flacco was not indicating that he thought the FCS level of play was minor league but, rather, that this was the perception of those evaluating his decision to move from Pitt to UD. It's the perception that Flacco himself had to overcome.

Few who've made the ridiculous off base comments on this thread have ever met Flacco personally (I have) or understand the ordeal he was put through at Pitt. Those folks probably also don't realize what a grounded, humble guy Joe is or how much he genuinely cares for UD.

Guys, if you like FCS FB, just enjoy it. What someone else says, what you think they are saying, or their impressions of our level of play should have zero impact on your enjoyment every Saturday in the fall. Let it go and enjoy the games.xthumbsupx

proasu89
January 26th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Perhaps the author of Flacco's 4/08 quote was guilty of a simple 'syntax error' or, perhaps, just perhaps, people are reading waaaaay too much into the comment and projecting their inferiority complex.xnodx

As I stated way back at the beginning of the thread, it's strongly within the realm of possibility that Flacco was not indicating that he thought the FCS level of play was minor league but, rather, that this was the perception of those evaluating his decision to move from Pitt to UD. It's the perception that Flacco himself had to overcome.
Few who've made the ridiculous off base comments on this thread have ever met Flacco personally (I have) or understand the ordeal he was put through at Pitt. Those folks probably also don't realize what a grounded, humble guy Joe is or how much he genuinely cares for UD.

Guys, if you like FCS FB, just enjoy it. What someone else says, what you think they are saying, or their impressions of our level of play should have zero impact on your enjoyment every Saturday in the fall. Let it go and enjoy the games.xthumbsupx

I wholeheartedly agree with that. Perception is many things, while seldom reality. Keep up the good work Joe!

Grizzaholic
January 26th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Stop attacking FCS and fans who like FCS. I have no idea what your deal is but this is an FCS football board so please take your FBS luvvin' elsewhere. xthumbsupx Continuing to degrade and denigrate FCS is unacceptable to me. xnonox

Is there anything that is acceptable to you?

bleedblue
January 26th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I really do think he's screwing with us to see how long we continue this thread. I don't think he believes what he's saying no mater what he says after my post. Haha we are on to you, took us long enough.

Ud1Hens
January 26th, 2009, 07:01 PM
95% of FCS players didn't ever receive an offer from FBS and 30% of them walk on in FCS. How is that taking a chance on FCS? At Montana we get 1-2 recruits a year that actually had FBS offers, we give out 8-10 full schollies, 10-15 half schollies, and have the rest walk on. Most FCS players are there because they didn't have a choice. Most guys that get FBS offers go there. Most HS players will go to a 3-9 FBS school before they will go to a 14-2 FCS school. We see it every year in our recruiting.

Ronbo, that may be the case out west but around the mid-atlantic area it is uncommon for guys not to have offers from FBS schools as well as FCS schools even when they choose an FCS ultimately. You guys recruit great out there, we have so many schools within a couple of hours that a Delaware recruit is usually getting offers from FBS type schools. Besides a ton of FCS schools because of location.

93henfan
February 5th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Some more fanning of the "we're not minor league" flames by the AP:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-delaware-devlin&prov=ap&type=lgns

NEWARK, Del. (AP)—Former Penn State quarterback Pat Devlin has signed with Delaware, where he’ll try to follow Joe Flacco’s path to the NFL.

Devlin will be able to play immediately and have two years of eligibility left after he spent two seasons as a backup at Penn State. He is a former high school All-American from Downington, Pa.

Flacco made a similar choice in 2006, when he transferred to Delaware from Pittsburgh. Because Delaware plays in Division I’s second tier, major college transfers do not have to sit out a year before being eligible to play.

After two sensational seasons with the Blue Hens, Flacco was drafted in the first round by the Baltimore Ravens in 2008 and led them to the playoffs.

UAalum72
February 5th, 2009, 10:13 AM
At least they recognize it's part of Division I

Monarch History
February 5th, 2009, 10:17 AM

Well said fenfan!xnodx