PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Division I Championship Football Game Moved From December To January

Pages : [1] 2

Syntax Error
January 21st, 2009, 10:29 PM
done deal.
The Football Championship Subdivision title game that has been held in Chattanooga for the last 11 years will move from December to the eve of the Bowl Championship Series national championship game in January for the 2010 season, NCAA officials said.

The administrative committee of the Division I Championships/Sports Management Cabinet approved the Division I Football Championship Committee’s recommendation earlier this month.http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/01/21/ncaa-division-i-championship-football-ga?blog=2

Good article.

achrist70
January 21st, 2009, 10:33 PM
So it doesn't start next year? Or does it start in January of 2010?

Syntax Error
January 21st, 2009, 10:42 PM
So it doesn't start next year? Or does it start in January of 2010?It starts with the champ game at the end of the 2010 season and the first expanded playoffs, in January 2011.

smallcollegefbfan
January 21st, 2009, 10:49 PM
One good thing about this is that players in the title game will not be rusty at all for the all-star games with it being almost like a bye week and not a huge gap between them. Although, for those who don't make it, the gap is still there.

mainejeff
January 21st, 2009, 11:01 PM
I think that this is great news!

BlueHen03
January 22nd, 2009, 07:08 AM
It will hopefully make traveling to the game more convenient as you wouldn't have to make travel plans the week before the game. That is a plus. However, won't the game be played on a random weeknight now instead of Friday night?

henfan
January 22nd, 2009, 08:08 AM
I'm skeptical about the chances for success for this plan, but I'll reserve judgement until a year or two after trying it.

It seems like it would be good for players and coaches, giving them time to rest and prepare for the big game.

On one hand, fans have more time to make trip preparations. The backside of that is that the game will likely occur on a weeknight, making it more difficult for travelers to spend extended time in the host city.

We'll see.

UNH SUPERFAN
January 22nd, 2009, 08:40 AM
I am NOT a big fan of this change! So from the beginning of December to the first week in Jan players are going to practice for this game? They will stay on campus through Christmas? For schools (almost all) where the football program loses money this will cost more in housing, feeding and upkeep, training staff, etc., and for what? I don't really see the positives, but I didn't take the time to read the article.

MplsBison
January 22nd, 2009, 08:45 AM
The most important part of this that no one seems to be talking about is that the UTC athletic director is on record saying that he's not sure they want to keep having the game in Chatty if this change goes through.

It went through now. I guess it's up to them to see if they want to bid on the game anymore.

appfan2008
January 22nd, 2009, 09:05 AM
The most important part of this that no one seems to be talking about is that the UTC athletic director is on record saying that he's not sure they want to keep having the game in Chatty if this change goes through.

It went through now. I guess it's up to them to see if they want to bid on the game anymore.

so where do we think the game will be moved to?... it wouldnt go to the bcs national title site would it??? oh hell i hope not...

McTailGator
January 22nd, 2009, 09:12 AM
I would Rather it be on a Saturday.

It would have been on a freaking Wednesday this year prior to the Thursday night BCS game.

This will make it MORE difficult for fans to travel to.

89Hen
January 22nd, 2009, 09:18 AM
Lots of pluses and minuses with this. Didn't read the article, but did it mention that in 2011 the BCS Bowls are moving to ESPN and they will have the BCS NC Game in 2011-2013? This could be a plus in that ESPN may hype our game during the other games, but on the other hand, they may spend our entire game talking about the game the next night. xeyebrowx

Eaglegus2
January 22nd, 2009, 09:23 AM
I hope the Champoinship game is played in a little warmer weather. Chattanooga in January can be cold or wet.

putter
January 22nd, 2009, 10:24 AM
IMO it all comes down to ESPN. If they get off of their BCS a$$es and actually promote this game it can help the division but if they just say nothing about it like they have the past years then a mid-week game will be a disaster.

CrackerRiley
January 22nd, 2009, 10:30 AM
Disaster. What is that one bowl that is played in between the BCS national championship game and the other BCS bowls? I don't know the name of it and you don't hear ESPN talking about it, ever. What makes anyone think they will talk about an FCS game.
Anyone thinking ESPN will promote this game is being way too optimistic. Sorry guys.

Big Al
January 22nd, 2009, 10:33 AM
GMAC Bowl, iirc.

Personally, I'd like to see it on Dec 31st and the BCS play no games later than Jan 1.

Not that it'll ever happen.

ASUG8
January 22nd, 2009, 10:35 AM

What else are they doing with the stadium that time of year? No offense to UTC folks, but they probably generate more revenue for the NC game than they do all season.

blueballs
January 22nd, 2009, 10:38 AM
I hope the Champoinship game is played in a little warmer weather. Chattanooga in January can be cold or wet.

You are absolutely correct... as big a wild card as the weather is the third week in December it will be even more so two weeks later in the winter.

bluehenbillk
January 22nd, 2009, 10:41 AM
I think the minuses far outweigh the pluses here. The only plus I see is that there will be more time to prepare for the trip from a fan standpoint. As well, the players won't be spending championship week taking finals or completing papers.

However, the biggest minus by far will be attention. People complain about all the slights FCS gets from the media already. Well, forget the BCS Championship game, everyone already knows that will mute the FCS Championship coverage or lack thereof, but to add insult to injury, get ready to find GMAC Bowl coverage more prevelant that FCS NC press in the day or two before the game. Someone else also mentioned that you're gonna have to use some vacation days now as the game will be mid-week.

I thought the most interesting piece of the articles I've seen was the speculation over the site. Will the game move away from a permanent Chatty home?

Retro
January 22nd, 2009, 11:33 AM
The only real concern i have is how will ESPN promote the game being just before BCS game?

Right now i think they have to stretch for info to discuss about the BCS game as well, to keep things interesting. This may provide them time to actually do more research on the FCS teams and be prepared to spend some time leading up to the game talking about it and such..

The plus side of this move:

1. Game isn't just a few days before christmas, when most people are busy shopping, parties, traveling to relatives, etc.. For a business owner, like me, it's tough to get away at christmas.. Much easier after all is over.

2. Allows fans and students to have more time to set up travel and accomodations to go to game and since it is after the holidays, people generally have less commitments as far as family..

3. The first week or so of january is actually a time when people take extended time off from work because the kids are out of school, so it will not affect as many people in that regard as it would have before.. People who go to the game now, still take off at least 2 days, so a midweek game might cost them 1 more day off..

4. Coaches and players will have time to heal and prepare and we get to likely see the teams at their best.. With only a week to prepare the coaches and athletic department have a lot to do beside just regular practice.

NOW, If the NCAA really wants to help the game, go out and get more big time sponsors and seed the teams 1 - 16 so we see the proper matchups.. They only see 1 -4 because after 9/11 they (the ncaa) said it would save them around $300,000.. Something that could easily be made up with sponsors.

Jackman
January 22nd, 2009, 11:38 AM
You guys are forgetting that without this move, every team (excluding the conferences that don't participate in the playoffs) would be forced to play only 11 games, usually in 11 straight weeks. Then they go straight to the playoffs and play possibly another 5 straight games, or 16 in a row. Not even the NFL does that. This move preserves 12th games and/or bye weeks for everyone in FCS, while impacting only 2 teams per year: the ones in the championship game.

As for keeping kids on campus, the NCAA can make a rule that they go home for Christmas and can only practice for the week leading up to the game. It's pretty easy to regulate. Housing costs for the week can be comped by the NCAA. Doing it for 2 teams beats doing it for every single team if the season was started a week earlier. There's also the revenue lost from not being able to have a 12th game. If, say, Delaware or Montana squeeze in an extra home game with all the ticket revenue, that easily outweighs the cost of housing/meals for a few extra days. Fans of the high attendance programs have nothing to complain about in that respect.

As for publicity, I think it's a wash at worst. I haven't looked at the numbers personally, but I've heard secondhand that the ratings for the FCS Championship are worse than even the crappy bowl games. It may help that the game will now be held at the maximum hype period in the college football season. It may help that the game is held at the precise time when everyone is churning out their annual "the BCS is a fraud" articles and holding up the FCS as the right way to go. It may help that it's the second-to-last college football game of the year with respect to the part of the audience that isn't ready for the football season to end and will watch anything. It will be on during a night when there will probably be no other sporting event of significance on. And even if none of these factors help, I just don't see how it could do much worse.

danefan
January 22nd, 2009, 11:46 AM
You guys are forgetting that without this move, every team (excluding the conferences that don't participate in the playoffs) would be forced to play only 11 games, usually in 11 straight weeks. Then they go straight to the playoffs and play possibly another 5 straight games, or 16 in a row. Not even the NFL does that. This move preserves 12th games and/or bye weeks for everyone in FCS, while impacting only 2 teams per year: the ones in the championship game.

As for keeping kids on campus, the NCAA can make a rule that they go home for Christmas and can only practice for the week leading up to the game. It's pretty easy to regulate. Housing costs for the week can be comped by the NCAA. Doing it for 2 teams beats doing it for every single team if the season was started a week earlier. There's also the revenue lost from not being able to have a 12th game. If, say, Delaware or Montana squeeze in an extra home game with all the ticket revenue, that easily outweighs the cost of housing/meals for a few extra days. Fans of the high attendance programs have nothing to complain about in that respect.

As for publicity, I think it's a wash at worst. I haven't looked at the numbers personally, but I've heard secondhand that the ratings for the FCS Championship are worse than even the crappy bowl games. It may help that the game will now be held at the maximum hype period in the college football season. It may help that the game is held at the precise time when everyone is churning out their annual "the BCS is a fraud" articles and holding up the FCS as the right way to go. It may help that it's the second-to-last college football game of the year with respect to the part of the audience that isn't ready for the football season to end and will watch anything. It will be on during a night when there will probably be no other sporting event of significance on. And even if none of these factors help, I just don't see how it could do much worse.

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Great points and likely the major talking points that were used for this vote!

appstate38
January 22nd, 2009, 12:29 PM
any consideration on what the effect will be for spring schedules as far as Spring practice and the like. I don't know that it will hurt recruiting as far as coaching get out and talking to players. I guess my concern would be for the teams playing in the championship game because it will shorten their down time between the championship and spring practice. Don't know if it will show up to be bad thing for those teams when they get to the fall. We will see.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 22nd, 2009, 01:23 PM
any consideration on what the effect will be for spring schedules as far as Spring practice and the like. I don't know that it will hurt recruiting as far as coaching get out and talking to players. I guess my concern would be for the teams playing in the championship game because it will shorten their down time between the championship and spring practice. Don't know if it will show up to be bad thing for those teams when they get to the fall. We will see.

Probably will hurt recruiting a little bit for the final two teams. There has to be time currently spent on recruiting in late December/early January that will now be focused on the Championship Game. But that's just a guess.

For teams in the Snow Belt, it sure won't impact Spring Practice because it doesn't start until April anyway. :p xlolx Would it really be a hardship if every school had to wait until at least mid or late March to start Spring Practice? xconfusedx

danefan
January 22nd, 2009, 01:32 PM
Probably will hurt recruiting a little bit for the final two teams. There has to be time currently spent on recruiting in late December/early January that will now be focused on the Championship Game. But that's just a guess.

For teams in the Snow Belt, it sure won't impact Spring Practice because it doesn't start until April anyway. :p xlolx Would it really be a hardship if every school had to wait until at least mid or late March to start Spring Practice? xconfusedx

I'm pretty sure that any recruiting time spent on the national championship will be far outweighed by the benefit of actually being in the national championship in what will hopefully be a higher profile event.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 22nd, 2009, 01:47 PM
I agree with Jackman that the TV Ratings are probably a wash at best. Don't see how changing the date will really impact them. I like to watch football and watch the crappy bowl games. After the season I watch HS and college re-plays on the Fox College Sports Networks. Most likely the same people watching today in December will watch in January. Either date would require more promotion to increase the ratings.

The one thing about January that I like is the opportunity to create an event that can attract more hard core FCS fans. Attract fans the way that ice hockey and lacrosse do to their national championships. People make plans to attend the event regardless of their school participating. They go to support their sport. I don't see any reason why FCS Football couldn't do the same.

I'd love to see an all-star game of some sort at the same venue along with some events to attract fans. Have some displays of photos/videos of past FCS players/championship games, maybe meet and greets with some of these guys and coaches from our schools, an event to announce the Buchanan and Peyton awards, etc. Organize a couple days of stuff that the hard core fans from each FBS school will see as worth the effort and expense to attend.

I'll go on record and say that I'll try to organize an AGS Old Pharts Gathering at the first January Championship. I hope that the groups at McNeese and Georgia Southern will come and demonstrate why their tailgates are viewed as the standard for all others to attain. I hope that my tailgate friends at UNH would want to attend this event and that our tailgate friends who belong to AGS and support other schools will want to join us.

I don't see that type of growth potential keeping the December date.

danefan
January 22nd, 2009, 01:55 PM
I agree with Jackman that the TV Ratings are probably a wash at best. Don't see how changing the date will really impact them. I like to watch football and watch the crappy bowl games. After the season I watch HS and college re-plays on the Fox College Sports Networks. Most likely the same people watching today in December will watch in January. Either date would require more promotion to increase the ratings.

The one thing about January that I like is the opportunity to create an event that can attract more hard core FCS fans. Attract fans the way that ice hockey and lacrosse do to their national championships. People make plans to attend the event regardless of their school participating. They go to support their sport. I don't see any reason why FCS Football couldn't do the same.

I'd love to see an all-star game of some sort at the same venue along with some events to attract fans. Have some displays of photos/videos of past FCS players/championship games, maybe meet and greets with some of these guys and coaches from our schools, an event to announce the Buchanan and Peyton awards, etc. Organize a couple days of stuff that the hard core fans from each FBS school will see as worth the effort and expense to attend.

I'll go on record and say that I'll try to organize an AGS Old Pharts Gathering at the first January Championship. I hope that the groups at McNeese and Georgia Southern will come and demonstrate why their tailgates are viewed as the standard for all others to attain. I hope that my tailgate friends at UNH would want to attend this event and that our tailgate friends who belong to AGS and support other schools will want to join us.

I don't see that type of growth potential keeping the December date.

I agree with you completely. However, wouldn't moving the location to a warmer climate enhance this appeal? I've never been to the NC game in Chatty but I can assume its pretty cold there in January (avg high of 46 and low of 28).

clenz
January 22nd, 2009, 02:04 PM
What does this do for eligibility for players who are scheduled to graduate at the semester break?

danefan
January 22nd, 2009, 02:12 PM
What does this do for eligibility for players who are scheduled to graduate at the semester break?

Nothing. It would be similar to the NCAA baseball tourney. A good amount of kids have graduate before the tourney happens.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 22nd, 2009, 02:59 PM
I agree with you completely. However, wouldn't moving the location to a warmer climate enhance this appeal? I've never been to the NC game in Chatty but I can assume its pretty cold there in January (avg high of 46 and low of 28).

For our Southern brethren, absolutely. For those of us in the Snow Belt, 46 would be a freaking heat wave! xrotatehx xrotatehx :D :D :D :D

Seriously though, a site that was more temperate and minimizes driving through Winter climate areas would enhance attendance.

clenz
January 22nd, 2009, 03:16 PM
Nothing. It would be similar to the NCAA baseball tourney. A good amount of kids have graduate before the tourney happens.
But their season started during that semester. Football starts during the fall semester. I'm pretty sure that your season has to start the same semester as your championship to not lose eligibility due to graduation. Or am I wrong on that?

danefan
January 22nd, 2009, 03:18 PM
But their season started during that semester. Football starts during the fall semester. I'm pretty sure that your season has to start the same semester as your championship to not lose eligibility due to graduation. Or am I wrong on that?

Baseball players' season starts during the spring semester and ends after the spring semester is over.

The Division I football championship will start during the fall semester and end after the fall semester is over (before the spring semester starts-which was this week).

There is no difference and if it doesn't effect FBS eligibility why would it effect FCS eligibility?

MplsBison
January 22nd, 2009, 03:20 PM
Plus scholarships go a full year.

Why wouldn't you want to come back to school and finish up in the spring? Better job outlook anyway (more grads in spring than winter).

danefan
January 22nd, 2009, 03:23 PM
Plus scholarships go a full year.

Why wouldn't you want to come back to school and finish up in the spring? Better job outlook anyway (more grads in spring than winter).

Because many kids do four years worth of credits in 4.5 years to use a their redshirt year. They take normal course load the redshirt year and scale back as upperclassmen. You actually don't even have to be full-time in the 9th semester so long as you have taken at least 12 credits each semester before that and you are taking all of the credits you need to graduate in that semester. Ie: you've taken at least 12 credits for your first 8 semesters and you only need 6 to graduate, then you only have to take 6 in the fall of your 5th year to be eligble to play.

Syntax Error
January 22nd, 2009, 03:58 PM
... I haven't looked at the numbers personally, but I've heard secondhand that the ratings for the FCS Championship are worse than even the crappy bowl games...Well now you can look at the television numbers firsthand and see the NCAA Division I Football Championship title game beat several of the over-hyped "crappy bowl games":

Division I National Championship 1.195
R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl 1.115
Insight Bowl 0.731
Texas Bowl 0.186

Nielsen TV Ratings Data: ©2008-9 The Nielsen Company. All Rights Reserved.

Syntax Error
January 22nd, 2009, 05:07 PM
Should be noted that several other NCAA Division I Football Championships games beat bowl games too in TV ratings.

Mich Griz
January 22nd, 2009, 09:37 PM
That gives Montana less then 2 years to get our indoor practice facility up. Otherwise we'll be practicing in snowshoes.

My guess is if the Griz are playing in Jan 2011 we'll embrace the concept:D

rcny46
January 22nd, 2009, 10:12 PM
I am NOT a big fan of this change! So from the beginning of December to the first week in Jan players are going to practice for this game? They will stay on campus through Christmas? For schools (almost all) where the football program loses money this will cost more in housing, feeding and upkeep, training staff, etc., and for what? I don't really see the positives, but I didn't take the time to read the article.

I'm in total agreement with you on this.

Syntax Error
January 23rd, 2009, 12:30 AM
I'm in total agreement with you on this.You didn't read the article before posting either?

OhioHen
January 23rd, 2009, 06:59 AM
16 in a row. Not even the NFL does that.

The Ravens played 18 straight weeks this year (due to their bye week moving because of hurricane damage in Houston). Any team with a Week 3 bye (the normal first week of byes) could play 17 straight weeks if they are in the Wild Card round and advance to the Conference Championship Game.

txstatebobcat
January 23rd, 2009, 12:35 PM
Granted there are some minuses, but I really do think that this will help ratings for the championship game. Also it would be nice to have several weeks for fans to prepare to go to the game. Though a new, warmer location should be found.

Syntax Error
January 23rd, 2009, 12:46 PM
... a new, warmer location should be found.Have you ever been to Chattanooga? I don't think weather should play a part in the location in this case. xcoffeex

Retro
January 23rd, 2009, 12:59 PM
Have you ever been to Chattanooga? I don't think weather should play a part in the location in this case. xcoffeex

I have and both times it was below at or below freezing games, 1 day and 1 night! The fact is chattanooga is in the mountains and it gets a lot colder because of that, especially at night! I'd like to see somewhere a little warmer to create a more enjoyable atmosphere both at the game and before it..

Why do you think the Super Bowl has almost always had the games in warm climate? To make it more fan attractive!xrulesx. The only time they weren't was because a dome was available.

Syntax Error
January 23rd, 2009, 01:14 PM
I have been to Chatty many times and worn shorts, watched the kids swim in the pool, wore a light jacket, etc. Never been to a game there when it was below freezing. Besides, this is football man, not sun bathing and bikini gazing. xlolx

danefan
January 23rd, 2009, 01:18 PM
I have been to Chatty many times and worn shorts, watched the kids swim in the pool, wore a light jacket, etc. Never been to a game there when it was below freezing. Besides, this is football man, not sun bathing and bikini gazing. xlolx

Right now what the FCS NC game is lacking is a solid fanbase of folks from out of Chatty that are NOT affiliated with either team playing. In order to gain any traction in the world of college football, the game has to attract those types of people. Chatty locals support the game great and teams within close distance provide additional attendance numbers, but I think the game really needs people who are going to book their flights and hotels in September regardless of whether their team is going or not.

That is never going to happen having it in Chatty in January, no matter how well they do putting it on.

If you are happy with the game as is, with limited national exposure and inconsistent attendance it has seen, than by all means Chatty is a great place. Average lows in the 20's and highs in the mid 40's isn't going to cut it in making the game an attraction.

89Hen
January 23rd, 2009, 01:22 PM
I think the game really needs people who are going to book their flights and hotels in September regardless of whether their team is going or not.

That is never going to happen having it in Chatty in January, no matter how well they do putting it on.
I don't think that is ever going to happen no matter where it is. xpeacex

EmeryZach
January 23rd, 2009, 01:55 PM
Move the game to Orlando. Do it now.

MplsBison
January 23rd, 2009, 02:01 PM

Therefore, don't try to improve the game. Ever.

Perfect attitude. xnonono2xxnonono2xxnonono2xxnonono2x

Retro
January 23rd, 2009, 02:09 PM

Then you weren't there in 2002! It was definitely below freezing that night!

Of course there are going to be warmer times, but that's more the exception than the rule. Not saying Chatty is a bad place, but we should always be looking for ways to improve it.. Whether you agree or not, people are going to get out and do more stuff in a warmer climate.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 23rd, 2009, 02:11 PM

Just curious why you feel that way. What is different about FCS Football than Ice Hockey and LAX which have developed incredible crowds who come to their national championships without any guarantee that their school will be involved. For almost a decade now Ice Hockey has been selling out via a lottery similar to basketball's well in advance for a weekend in early April at NHL arenas in all corners of the lower 48. Men's LAX has been posting incredible numbers for a few years now in Philly and Baltimore as well as last year in Foxboro outside Boston despite everybody's fears. Why do fans of those sports choose to celebrate their sport yet FCS football fans won't?

Personally, even though my school is a hockey school, I'm more of a basketball guy so I don't do the Frozen Four. Even though my school no longer plays men's lacrosse, I've still given serious consideration to attending the LAX Final. It just seems like a great weekend! I'd like the chance to experience a similar event with my fellow cult members! ;) :D :D

89Hen
January 23rd, 2009, 02:25 PM
Therefore, don't try to improve the game. Ever.

Perfect attitude. xnonono2xxnonono2xxnonono2xxnonono2x
Quite a stretch there grassman. xrolleyesx

89Hen
January 23rd, 2009, 02:37 PM
Just curious why you feel that way. What is different about FCS Football than Ice Hockey and LAX which have developed incredible crowds who come to their national championships without any guarantee that their school will be involved.
The major difference is that both are the biggest games of that sport, our championship game is not the biggest college football game of the year by a long shot. Anyone with a casual interest in the game may attend. I know I've thought about going to the LAX games when they were in B'more, but it's always Memorial Day weekend and I'm at the beach. I would also love to go to the Frozen Four here in DC, but I would never consider travelling for it.

As for the Frozen Four, it's moved to major metropolitan areas and does not have to compete with other bowl games that are perceived as much larger. Also, a sellout at the Frozen Four is slightly LESS than a sellout at Chatty. xeyebrowx

Another consideration is that they have four fan bases to fill the stadium. Imagine if we had a NC game weekend where AppSt, Montana, Delaware and UNI fans all decended on the same city. xeekx

BDKJMU
January 23rd, 2009, 02:45 PM

No. The playoff will have an extra round, so the semis will be on the weekend that the NC is currently held on. So if it had been in place this season, the semis would have been on Dec 19th & 20th, and the NC on Jan 7th. Thats 18-19 days, less than 3 weeks. That way for the NC they could be given several days off to go home for x-mas.

BDKJMU
January 23rd, 2009, 03:20 PM

Agree about the X-mas thing, but since exams would be for most teams the week of the semis, they should be able to practice for more than one week before the NC game. If the system had been in place for this year then the semis likely would have been on the 19th & 20th. Let teams practice on the 21st- morning of the 23rd. The mandate that they have something like noon on the 23rd- afternoon of the 27th off. That way most players would be able to spend 3-4 days with their families. That would leave 10 of the final 11 days to practice before the NC game on the 7th, with a day off for travel. That would leave 13-14 practices before the NC game. That's a lot less than most of the teams have playing in the BCS bowl games
-Big 10 teams had their last game on 11/22,
-Most others was 11/29,
-Most league title league games were on 12/6
So most teams teams in BCS bowls had close to 4 weeks to close to 7 weeks (Ohio State) between their last game and BCS bowl game, and probably around 15 to 25 practices for their BCS game.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 23rd, 2009, 03:22 PM
The major difference is that both are the biggest games of that sport, our championship game is not the biggest college football game of the year by a long shot. Anyone with a casual interest in the game may attend. I know I've thought about going to the LAX games when they were in B'more, but it's always Memorial Day weekend and I'm at the beach. I would also love to go to the Frozen Four here in DC, but I would never consider travelling for it.

As for the Frozen Four, it's moved to major metropolitan areas and does not have to compete with other bowl games that are perceived as much larger. Also, a sellout at the Frozen Four is slightly LESS than a sellout at Chatty. xeyebrowx

Another consideration is that they have four fan bases to fill the stadium. Imagine if we had a NC game weekend where AppSt, Montana, Delaware and UNI fans all decended on the same city. xeekx

Valid point about not being the biggest game in the college football world. But an awful lot of people attend the D-II and D-III Lacrosse Championships despite not being the biggest game in the sport.

I don't really know enough about the LAX event, but I think they sell a ton of their tickets before the final four schools are determined. I do know that the ice hockey event doesn't rely on those four fan bases. The point is that they sell out a year in advance. The fans of the sport sell it out well in advance. And don't forget that there are only about 60 schools playing D-I hockey and they range in size from Michigan to a bunch of D-III schools like Union, RPI, Clarkson and St. Lawrence. And I don't think they get a lot of fans from non-hockey schools. FCS has what, around 120 schools? I'd like to think we could "out perform" the hockey schools despite competition with the major bowl games.

Don't you think FCS could develop an event that scores of fans from Delaware, Montana, Georgia Southern, McNeese State, UNI, Eastern KY, Lehigh, FAMU, etc. would want to attend and celebrate FCS Football?

BDKJMU
January 23rd, 2009, 03:29 PM
Valid point about not being the biggest game in the college football world. But an awful lot of people attend the D-II and D-III Lacrosse Championships despite not being the biggest game in the sport.

I don't really know enough about the LAX event, but I think they sell a ton of their tickets before the final four schools are determined. I do know that the ice hockey event doesn't rely on those four fan bases. The point is that they sell out a year in advance. The fans of the sport sell it out well in advance. And don't forget that there are only about 60 schools playing D-I hockey and they range in size from Michigan to a bunch of D-III schools like Union, RPI, Clarkson and St. Lawrence. And I don't think they get a lot of fans from non-hockey schools. FCS has what, around 120 schools? I'd like to think we could "out perform" the hockey schools despite competition with the major bowl games.

Don't you think FCS could develop an event that scores of fans from Delaware, Montana, Georgia Southern, McNeese State, UNI, Eastern KY, Lehigh, FAMU, etc. would want to attend and celebrate FCS Football?

I thought you couldn't be Div III in one sport and Div I in others? Isn't that why all those (20 some) D-III in football & Div I in all other sports have to go Div I-AA in football in the early 90s when they made that new rule?

89Hen
January 23rd, 2009, 03:31 PM
I don't. But I am mostly basing this on the fact that I'm a pretty diehard I-AA fan and I've only once toyed with the idea of going to the NC game when the Hens weren't in it... this year. But I never got even close to actually going. There will be a smattering of people who go. In 2007 I saw a couple Griz fans in Chatty, but that was about it.

BTW, I will be interested to see how the Frozen Four does in Tampa in 2012. If you notice the LAX isn't moving far from it's footprint of where LAX is played. LAX is Long Island to DC and the Final Four is staying withing that footprint. Last year's tourney in Boston was the first to be outside that corridor since 1991 and it was not close to a sellout. It is by FAR the biggest LAX event in the country. Every high school player around here goes when it's in B'more.

Syntax Error
January 23rd, 2009, 03:32 PM
Then you weren't there in 2002! It was definitely below freezing that night!I was there. It was chilly. What was the temperature?

89Hen
January 23rd, 2009, 03:33 PM
I was there. It was chilly. What was the temperature?
You have to remember he lives in Louisiana. 45 is cold to him. :p

danefan
January 23rd, 2009, 03:48 PM
I thought you couldn't be Div III in one sport and Div I in others? Isn't that why all those (20 some) D-III in football & Div I in all other sports have to go Div I-AA in football in the early 90s when they made that new rule?

There are grandfathered programs in Men's lacrosse and hockey (and some women's sports I believe). The real crux of the "Dayton Rule" is that it was intended to prevent Division I basketball accompanied by DIII sports.

Johns Hopkins and Hobart in Lax and Union, RPI, Clarkson, St. John Fisher in Hockey are some of teh schools playing DIII in everything else.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 23rd, 2009, 04:23 PM
I don't. But I am mostly basing this on the fact that I'm a pretty diehard I-AA fan and I've only once toyed with the idea of going to the NC game when the Hens weren't in it... this year. But I never got even close to actually going. There will be a smattering of people who go. In 2007 I saw a couple Griz fans in Chatty, but that was about it.

BTW, I will be interested to see how the Frozen Four does in Tampa in 2012. If you notice the LAX isn't moving far from it's footprint of where LAX is played. LAX is Long Island to DC and the Final Four is staying withing that footprint. Last year's tourney in Boston was the first to be outside that corridor since 1991 and it was not close to a sellout. It is by FAR the biggest LAX event in the country. Every high school player around here goes when it's in B'more.

You're tough!! ;) :D Yep, the LAX tournament didn't sell out, but 48K is pretty freaking impressive to me. xrolleyesx So is 24K for the D-II and D-III Doubleheader! xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx I wish our national championship was significantly less than capacity and had 48K. xeekx

The crowd support and attendance was just shy of peak performance. Saturday, arguably the most heavily attended day in years’ past, drew 48,224, down just four thousand or so from last season in M&T Bank’s draw last year. On Sunday, the DII and DIII teams held court in front of a record 24, 317 and on Monday, the ‘Cuse-Hop final was watched by 48, 970 - a record for Memorial Day.

http://blogs.insidelacrosse.com/2008/05/26/championship-weekend-review-thoughts-on-boston/

If Tampa doesn't sell out in advance like the Frozen Four has done for close to a decade now, it will probably be the result of the economy more than anything else. Why wouldn't every freaking hockey fan in the Snow Belt want to go to Florida in early April after months of Winter? xconfusedx xrotatehx xlolx xlolx The Frozen Four doesn't rely on the locals. Are there many tickets available for this year's FF for you folks in the DC area?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 23rd, 2009, 04:35 PM
There are grandfathered programs in Men's lacrosse and hockey (and some women's sports I believe). The real crux of the "Dayton Rule" is that it was intended to prevent Division I basketball accompanied by DIII sports.

Johns Hopkins and Hobart in Lax and Union, RPI, Clarkson, St. John Fisher in Hockey are some of teh schools playing DIII in everything else.

Not sure about St. John Fisher, but Union, RPI, Clarkson, St. Lawrence, Colorado College, Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) are D-III's playing D-I hockey. Got a few D-II's as well, IIRC Nebraska-Omaha, Minnesota-Duluth, Bemidji State, Northern Michigan, Ferris State, etc.

The other D-III's, led by Middlebury College (VT) IIRC, attempted to block any D-III's from playing D-I hockey using the argument that revenue gained from their hockey programs gave them a competitive advantage. That effort failed and multiple schools were grandfathered.

Syntax Error
January 23rd, 2009, 04:53 PM
I wish our national championship was significantly less than capacity and had 48K.It sure would be significantly larger if all 16 teams were within six hours away and the games were played in one weekend. In other words, not comparable.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 23rd, 2009, 06:29 PM
It sure would be significantly larger if all 16 teams were within six hours away and the games were played in one weekend. In other words, not comparable.

FWIW, all 16 teams weren't within six hours of Foxboro, not even close, pretty sure Duke, North Carolina and/or Virginia were involved. And all the games weren't played in one weekend, this was only the semi-finals and finals. Obviously that can't be done with football, but an all-star game could be held to provide a game on a second day to form an extended event. The D-II and D-III Football Championships could be played during the same event.

Far fewer schools play D-I LAX than FCS Football, the event is held on Memorial Day Weekend, they draw 48K people, what the heck isn't impressive about that? Why shouldn't that give hope that maybe FCS could consistently draw something like 25K if a similar event was planned? You know, at a good venue, multiple games, fan friendly associated attractions, etc. Football nationally is much more popular than lacrosse. I don't care if it's comparable, our championship not being able to draw half what the Lacrosse Championship draws means some significant work needs to be done on our Championship. Lacrosse has probably done some darn good marketing to attract so many people on a holiday weekend!

BTW, I'm not against Chatty. I'd love to see them grow the event as I've only heard good things about the event there. But at the same time, other locations may have to be looked at. Especially if Chatty doesn't continue to bid once the game moves to January.

SideLine Shooter
January 23rd, 2009, 06:47 PM
STUPID,STUPIDxnodx,STUPID....xmadxxmadxxmadxxeekxx madxxmadxxnonoxxnonoxxnonox

Syntax Error
January 23rd, 2009, 08:58 PM
...I don't care if it's comparable, our championship not being able to draw half what the Lacrosse Championship draws means some significant work needs to be done on our Championship. Lacrosse has probably done some darn good marketing to attract so many people on a holiday weekend!You mean like inviting a bunch teams with their fans and having a bunch of games in one weekend? That's why the lax games did well. You can't compare that to the D-I football game where only two teams come, both from far away on six days notice. Just saying. But I love talk about spicing up the fan experience at our champ game. xthumbsupx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 24th, 2009, 10:05 AM
You mean like inviting a bunch teams with their fans and having a bunch of games in one weekend? That's why the lax games did well. You can't compare that to the D-I football game where only two teams come, both from far away on six days notice. Just saying. But I love talk about spicing up the fan experience at our champ game. xthumbsupx

I'm not trying to compare to the existing set up, but thinking about what we could have with the new set up, a January date with significantly more time than six days to make travel plans. And you know the LAX event is only four D-I teams with only a week's notice. The point is they have created an event that people want to attend and buy tickets for well in advance regardless of who plays in the game! Is that concept so foreign?

Yeah, LAX is popular in the Northeast and the Mid-Atlantic and a lot of people live there, but it's still lacrosse which is no where near as popular as football. Especially when we're talking about our game being played in the South where we're constantly told football is religion.

I'm a hard core fan who in the past five years has gone to playoff games at Northern Iowa (twice), Southern Illinois, Georgia Southern, Hampton, UMass and the two games at UNH (longer drive for me than UMass). I went to our game at Northwestern. I'd like to think that fans like me who are willing to travel only need a decent incentive to attend our championship game now that it's going to be after the Holidays. JMHO, but the more that can be added to the experience raises my interest and justifies the expense if my team isn't playing.

How about a Battle of the Bands or at least have a few of the more renowned FCS marching bands present? How about an All Star Game (FCS North vs. FCS South, FCS vs non-BCS FBS, insert other match-ups, etc.) with a combine type skills evaluation? How about some tailgating challenges and competitions? An AGS meet 'n' greet? I'm not even a marketing person, but I can think of lots of stuff to enhance our championship game. Think what a professional could do! ;) :p

Jackman
January 24th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Well, Lax is a unique case, it's a sport with extremely limited television exposure. The market that wants to watch it is under-served most of the time. Also, you rarely see crowds even one-tenth that size for regular season games, even at Syracuse, so it's almost like a festival for the sport. I think these people go to the finals and dream of the day when lacrosse teams regularly play in front of crowds that size. And that's cool, it makes it a special event.

I don't think you can compare it with FCS football. Football is ubiquitous, there's no shortage of televised games or live events with large crowds you can attend. It's not like we're playing a different game. If FCS was playing by rugby rules, then I bet you could get a lacrosse championship crowd, but then it wouldn't be football. Rugby has the same issues as lax, only the NCAA doesn't even allow you to have a varsity men's rugby team (really wish we could get it as a spring sport). I'd definitely consider traveling to attend a rugby championship. I wouldn't even think of traveling to a football game that my team wasn't involved in, even though I like football much more than rugby.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 24th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Well, Lax is a unique case, it's a sport with extremely limited television exposure. The market that wants to watch it is under-served most of the time. Also, you rarely see crowds even one-tenth that size for regular season games, even at Syracuse, so it's almost like a festival for the sport. I think these people go to the finals and dream of the day when lacrosse teams regularly play in front of crowds that size. And that's cool, it makes it a special event.

I don't think you can compare it with FCS football. Football is ubiquitous, there's no shortage of televised games or live events with large crowds you can attend. It's not like we're playing a different game. If FCS was playing by rugby rules, then I bet you could get a lacrosse championship crowd, but then it wouldn't be football. Rugby has the same issues as lax, only the NCAA doesn't even allow you to have a varsity men's rugby team (really wish we could get it as a spring sport). I'd definitely consider traveling to attend a rugby championship. I wouldn't even think of traveling to a football game that my team wasn't involved in, even though I like football much more than rugby.

For the record, all the games from the LAX weekend are nationally televised on ESPN. I've watched them for a couple of years now. There are regular season games on CN8, CSN and CSTV as well as most likely on NESN, SNY, MSG, etc. No shortage of TV games during the regular season. I've watched many of them too.

Maybe I'm just thick as a board, but I still think our championship could also become a similar "special event". But the comment I put in bold, may be the key. How do we get people more interested in attending our championship game? LAX and Ice Hockey sure have been able to attract a huge group of people who don't have ties to the participating teams. Help me understand why it is impossible for FCS Football to make improvements in this area. xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

89Hen
January 24th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Are there many tickets available for this year's FF for you folks in the DC area?
AFAIK it was soldout before tickets ever went on sale. But again, this is a huge deal for all the youth hockey players around here as it's the biggest college hockey event of the year. Compare that to DC hosting their first ever bowl game this year which featured Navy... 28,777. Weak.

89Hen
January 24th, 2009, 02:48 PM
The Frozen Four doesn't rely on the locals.
BTW, I think you are very wrong about that. As I said above, I know all the local youth organizations are having lotteries for their ticket allotment. There will be TONS of DC locals at the FF this year. xpeacex

Syntax Error
January 24th, 2009, 03:16 PM
... And you know the LAX event is only four D-I teams... No, I didn't. I thought you said/quoted that the D-II and D-III games are also there. So that would be eight teams at least, and their fan bases. Not to pick on your comparison too much ;) but how many does the NCAA travel per lax team?

Proud Griz Man
January 24th, 2009, 03:30 PM

Exactly !!!!!! There are many FCS schools with budget problems, and some FCS schools faced with decisions about dropping programs (football in some cases), yet these Bureaucrats continually make stupid decisions like this one. 16 games in 16 weeks this year really takes a toll on the kids healthwise and in their scholastics.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 24th, 2009, 08:42 PM
BTW, I think you are very wrong about that. As I said above, I know all the local youth organizations are having lotteries for their ticket allotment. There will be TONS of DC locals at the FF this year. xpeacex

The NCAA may reserve a portion of tickets for the local area, that I don't know. I do know that they have a lottery for tickets for fans just like basketball does shortly after the tournament is over. I believe that group of tickets and those allotted to the teams involved far outnumber those given to local groups. It's the tickets sold via the lottery that results in the event being sold out 9-10 months in advance.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 24th, 2009, 09:00 PM
No, I didn't. I thought you said/quoted that the D-II and D-III games are also there. So that would be eight teams at least, and their fan bases. Not to pick on your comparison too much ;) but how many does the NCAA travel per lax team?

Day One is the D-I semi-finals (four teams).
Day Two is the D-II and D-III finals (four teams).
Day Three is the D-I finals (surviving teams from day one).

I read your comments to be that you thought 8-16 D-I teams were involved and I was trying to clarify that only four D-I teams were involved. BTW, one of them was Johns Hopkins, a D-III school in other sports. I emphasized the four D-I teams because I felt they were most responsible for the attendance.

The 48K fans in attendance are not all fans of the four schools. And the D-II and D-III schools aren't providing the 24K fans on Day Two. There are thousands and thousands of fans who have no association with participating schools.

I think Men's Lax rosters are pretty large. I seem to recall so many people in uniform on the bench that it caught my attention. What's your point?

I stand by my opinion that if LAX can get 48K, then FBS Football ought to be able to get 25K without having to rely on an App State scenario.

McTailGator
January 25th, 2009, 09:34 AM

It was in the 20's in 2002 at night.

In 1997 it was a day game and actually warmed up quite nicely during the game. I had to take my jacket off.

I'd rather a 2:30 start time on a Saturday for the NC game.

Syntax Error
January 25th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Day One is the D-I semi-finals (four teams).
Day Two is the D-II and D-III finals (four teams).
Day Three is the D-I finals (surviving teams from day one)...And eight school teams and their fanbases are in town, they can buy a ticket to get them in all the games at one price.... BONUS! 8 teams fans should be able to make nearly 50K fans. THEY DID! Maybe FCS can do the same... errrrrrr.... the FCS game had more fans... oops. 50/8, 18/2. xnodxxsmiley_wix

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 26th, 2009, 09:53 AM
And eight school teams and their fanbases are in town, they can buy a ticket to get them in all the games at one price.... BONUS! 8 teams fans should be able to make nearly 50K fans. THEY DID! Maybe FCS can do the same... errrrrrr.... the FCS game had more fans... oops. 50/8, 18/2. xnodxxsmiley_wix

Right, two D-II, two D-III and Johns Hopkins were primary factors for attracting 48K. Yep, Salisbury (MD), Cortland State (NY), New York Institute of Technology and LeMoyne (NY) really brought hordes of people to Foxboro. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx Syracuse, Duke and Virginia didn't sell tens of thousands of tickets in one week! You continue to fail to acknowledge how many thousands and thousands of tickets were sold in advance of knowing the participants.

Are you trying to say that everything is perfect in Chatty and no changes are needed? I don't agree with that. Are you going to tell me that the FCS Championship couldn't learn anything from the Ice Hockey and Lacrosse events? I think they can. That's all I'm trying to say!! xoopsx They attract people who are not associated with the participating teams. How do we grow our championship without doing that? xconfusedx xconfusedx

Rekdiver
January 26th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Now the season is officially too long.......
This is a very poor idea........

trouthunter
January 26th, 2009, 01:30 PM
As a Griz fan who missed the NC game because for being marooned in the Denver airport, I think that this move alleviates some of the headache of "holiday" travel.

GannonFan
January 26th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Late to the thread, but my two cents:

- Probably won't do a bit of difference in terms of exposure. ESPN's going to be hyping the BCS game the next night anyway so the FCS title game will continue to be of minor interest from a TV perspective.

- As a fan, I know they were strapped with how to do this with the enlarged field, but it is going to hamper travel if it is a mid-week game. At least an extra day of vacation for those working, plus non-college school is back in session that week as well. At best attendance will be unaffected, but you could have less non-students being able to go with this arrangement.

- Probably great for college students as most colleges are still out in that first week of January - no excuse (except can't afford it) to go now.

- Location becomes interesting. I know there's some talk on this board that Chatty doesn't really like the new date, and while it's a nice setting in Chatty it's not really supported all that much from the locals, so moving it elsewhere, if someone wanted it, wouldn't negatively impact the game. I like Chatty, but I wouldn't mind if someone else stepped up to the plate and tried to stage the game.

Maverick
January 26th, 2009, 06:32 PM
www.newsweek.com/id/181714 (http://www.newsweek.com/id/181714)

Based on the above, I can see where Tampa would be for some worth a very serious look!! xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

813Jag
January 26th, 2009, 06:38 PM
www.newsweek.com/id/181714 (http://www.newsweek.com/id/181714)

Based on the above, I can see where Tampa would be for some worth a very serious look!! xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix
You don't need a Sporting Event for that. xlolx There about 4 to 5 within a couple of miles of the stadium. xlolx

Maverick
January 26th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I agree that would be its very own "sporting event". It would give a whole new meaning to "tailgating!" xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxrotatehxxrotatehx

BDKJMU
January 26th, 2009, 10:28 PM
-Need a stadium in Fla or the deep south if its going to be outdoor in the 1st week of Jan
-Need seating capacity between 20-30k. Any smaller is too small, any bigger is too big.

That really limits locations. Charleston/Citadel has been mentioned, but you have that BS NCAA boycott over the whole flag issue.

So how many FLA/deep South stadiums fit the criteria? Not many. But here is one:

FAU's brand new stadium due to open for the 2010 season, 30k cpacity, which isn't too big, not too small, in beautiful, sunny (and wealthy) Boca Raton, Fla.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAU_Football_Stadium

Green26
January 26th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Terrible decision.

Extends the season by 2.5 weeks, including thru X-mas. More practices and prep time for players and coaches. I suppose the coaches are supposed to do this extra work for free. The benefits of the layoff are outweighed by the negatives of days without practice and without games.

Loss of momentum and excitement of the playoffs.

Mid-week travel in early January is probably worse than pre X-mas travel for a Friday night game. Pre-college kids, and some college kids, go back to school the first Monday after New Years Day. Taking kids out of school before a holiday is easier than doing it after a holiday break. Yes, more time to prepare to travel is some benefit.

I believe the I-AA game will be lost in the big bowl week, and the lead-up to the I-A championship. The contrast of I-AA and I-A, including the lesser production of the I-AA game, will be stark--and not good for I-AA, in my view.

Who will pay for the extra weeks of housing and food for the players? Extra time for trainers, team doctors, athletic department and facility support.

Where/how will the northern teams practice? Montana was essentially unable to practice during their several days in Missoula prior to the national championship game this year--due to snow and temperatures reaching about -20 at night. This could be a distaster for cold-weather teams like Montana.

The host city will be important. Will it attract fans? Will it be affordable to fly or drive to? Will the coziness of Chattanooga be lost?

Recruiting will be more difficult for the championship teams. When will the coaches have time to catch with recruiting, including reviewing tapes, making calls, and visiting recruits? When will the coaches have time to organize visits to the schools?

BDKJMU
January 27th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Terrible decision.

Extends the season by 2.5 weeks, including thru X-mas. More practices and prep time for players and coaches. I suppose the coaches are supposed to do this extra work for free. The benefits of the layoff are outweighed by the negatives of days without practice and without games.

Yeah, a longer season for players & coaches, but you're talking only 2 teams here. Only 18-19 days between the semis & NC game. NCAA could mandate time off for Christmas for the players. 10-12 practices, which is only an extra 5-7 practices. Don't think the players & coaches will mind the extra time for the opportunity to play in the NC. How hard was it for the Montana team to travel to the East Coast on back to back weekends this past season?

With 20 teams in the playoffs, there has to be 5 rounds. How else would you do it? Were only 3 options:

1. Start the playoffs a week earlier, making teams play 11 games in 11 weeks most seasons, followed by a 5 round playoff (granted 12 of 20 will have a bye the 1st round). Thats either 15 games in 16 weeks, with the potential for a team in the 1st round to make the NC having 16 games in 16 weeks. I know Montana did that last season, right? How bad was that?

2. Have the playoffs a week longer and simply play the NC a week later. So instead of falling Dec 14-19, as it currently does now:
02' Dec 19
03' Dec 18
04' Dec 17
05' Dec 16
06' Dec 15
07' Dec 14
08' Dec 19

You'd have the NC Dec 21-26. Imagine how having the NC on Christmas Eve or Christmas would knock down the attendance. People have other obligations around Christmas. Parties, family gatherings, shopping, etc.

3. The option they took. The week after New Years all people are doing is shaking their head after stepping on the scale.

Loss of momentum and excitement of the playoffs.

xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedx How about a building of momentum & excitement?

Mid-week travel in early January is probably worse than pre X-mas travel for a Friday night game. Pre-college kids, and some college kids, go back to school the first Monday after New Years Day. Taking kids out of school before a holiday is easier than doing it after a holiday break. Yes, more time to prepare to travel is some benefit.

In addition to having 2.5+ weeks to plan for travel, after New Years plane tickets, especially within 3 weeks booking, are WAY less expensive than booking on less than a weeks notice for the system we currently have. How hard was it for the Montana fans to travel to the East Coast on back to back weekends this past season (for those who did go to both the semis & NC)?

I believe the I-AA game will be lost in the big bowl week, and the lead-up to the I-A championship. The contrast of I-AA and I-A, including the lesser production of the I-AA game, will be stark--and not good for I-AA, in my view.

The NC right now is hardly noticed. The ratings are abysmal, down there with a bunch of toilet bowls. At least having it the 1st week of Jan on the eve of the BCS NC game, on ESPN, the same network that will be hosting the BCS NC game, it will get a little more noticed as every other bowl game will be over except for the BCS NC game. It can't be worse than Dec 14-19 amongst all the toilet bowls.

Who will pay for the extra weeks of housing and food for the players? Extra time for trainers, team doctors, athletic department and facility support.

It can't cost much more for housing- heck, at least half the players on most teams probably live off campus. The other stuff hopefully the NCAA will chip in to help defray the cost of. If not, its not like the schools will lose out. When teams get more exposure like going to the NC, their annual giving goes up, and the excitement of making making the NC & what exposure is generated will bring in more alumni donations that will more than pay for those extra incurred costs.

Where/how will the northern teams practice? Montana was essentially unable to practice during their several days in Missoula prior to the national championship game this year--due to snow and temperatures reaching about -20 at night. This could be a distaster for cold-weather teams like Montana.

How do northern FBS teams practice before mid Dec-1st week of Jan bowl games? If Montana doesn't have some type of indoor field house they can practice in in frigid weather, but can afford to build a 25k stadium which is state of the art by FCS standards, and not have to play FBS since they make so much on a home game instead, Montana could afford to build a spartan indoor practice facility.

The host city will be important. Will it attract fans? Will it be affordable to fly or drive to? Will the coziness of Chattanooga be lost?

I bet South Fla in early Jan is a lot more cozy than Chatty in mid Dec!xsmiley_wix

Recruiting will be more difficult for the championship teams. When will the coaches have time to catch with recruiting, including reviewing tapes, making calls, and visiting recruits? When will the coaches have time to organize visits to the schools?

I bet a teams recruiting would be better after a 1st week of Jan NC appearance on a bigger stage than a mid Dec semi loss (semis being played a week later than they are now). HUGE recruiting tool- Being on national television on the eve of the BCS title game. Playing the 1st week in Jan multiple times this decade apparently hasn't hurt Fla's, OK's, LSU's, & Ohio State's recruiting.

eaglesrthe1
January 27th, 2009, 07:49 AM
-Need a stadium in Fla or the deep south if its going to be outdoor in the 1st week of Jan
-Need seating capacity between 20-30k. Any smaller is too small, any bigger is too big.

That really limits locations. Charleston/Citadel has been mentioned, but you have that BS NCAA boycott over the whole flag issue.

So how many FLA/deep South stadiums fit the criteria? Not many. But here is one:

FAU's brand new stadium due to open for the 2010 season, 30k cpacity, which isn't too big, not too small, in beautiful, sunny (and wealthy) Boca Raton, Fla.

Boca in Jan would be nice.xnodx

MplsBison
January 27th, 2009, 08:09 AM

FIU is building a new stadium as well, which is in even nicer Miami.

Otherwise, maybe Bright House or the Citrus Bowl in Orlando would do the trick.

It would give people an excuse to go to Disney World, etc.

Green26
January 27th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Good response, BKD. However, I disagree with virtually everything you said.

Momentum and excitement build as the playoffs continue. Additional momentum and excitement will not build during the holidays and long layoff. Many I-AA fans will have moved on with their lives after the holiday season and may not even remember to watch the championship game. College students will have disbursed.

Mandating fewer holiday practices (except for several days at X-mas) would hurt the quality of play. Not playing games for several weeks may also hurt the quality of play. Some players will not be able to afford to fly home and fly right back (and then fly home after the game).

Opening a dorm for half the players will cost the same as opening a dorm for the whole team. Feeding the team will be costly. Keeping support facilities open will have some cost.

I'm opposed to the expansion of the playoff field. However, with it already passed, the plans already in place would have been fine.

Booking tickets should be easier and less expensive. However, flying during the first business days right New Years can be problematical or expensive, and not have a Saturday stay can be expensive. My tickets to JMU and Chattanooga, booked via Hotwire, were $375 and $410. I think fewer Montana fans will travel during mid-week.

Now, the national championship is very much noticed by the fans I care about, i.e. the fans of I-AA football and the fans of the teams in the championship. I don't really care about people who are not I-AA fans, who happen to tune into the game. In any event, as I said before, I believe the game will get lost in the hoopla of the major bowls and the I-A national championship.

Most northern I-A teams have indoor practice facilities. I-AA teams, without domes, don't. Montana has been thinking of an indoor facility for years, but does not have the money nor plans for it. Right now, the UM tennis team has no place to practice tennis in the winter, as there are no operating tennis bubbles in Missoula.

I don't agree that recruiting would be better after a later national championship game. Recruiting takes alot of work and time--by the coaches. As it is, the coaches get way behind in watching and evaluating tapes, contacting recruits and their coaches by phone, visiting recruits at home (which they don't have time to do), and having recruits on campus (which they don't have time to do during the playoffs). If more of this recruiting is delayed until after early January, more recruits will have committed elsewhere and/or lost interest. Not all, of course, but more. I-A teams have time to do their recruting in December, as they don't have to play 3 playoff games in December. I-A teams also have more coaches and staff. That's not a good comparison.

Chatty weather is fine for me, unless it rains. I wore a shortsleaved tee shirt during the game this year.

Jackman
January 27th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Opening a dorm for half the players will cost the same as opening a dorm for the whole team. Feeding the team will be costly. Keeping support facilities open will have some cost.
Don't you realize that Montana would lose more money if it lost its extra home game during 12 game seasons? That's what would have happened under the alternative plan. A single extra home game at a high attendance program like Montana pays for housing for multiple national championship trips (should Montana be so fortunate to have them). As for smaller attendance programs, I'm guessing most of us would trade leaving the heat on in one of the dorms and putting out some extra cafeteria chow for a trip to the national championship, yeah. Regardless, there will probably be an allowance paid into by every single FCS program to cover extra room & board for a couple weeks. It won't come to much if it's split 100+ ways, and it beats the hell out of everyone losing 12th games and any related revenue. We only get so many chances per season to see our kids play, so why the hell would we give those games up over the whining of two programs per year that have to serve up a few extra sloppy joes?

As for the quality of play, whichever teams advance to the championship will have played more games than any other college players in the country, in a short span of time. For all we know, quality of play will increase due to players being able to rest tired, beaten bodies and show up to the championship healthy. High school and college athletes simply don't train to play in 16 football games, that's a NFL thing. It also gives them a bit of extra time to finish up their end of semester academic obligations, so that won't be on their minds either.

EmeryZach
January 27th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Boca in Jan would be nice.xnodx

I still prefer Orlando. You could have a Champions parade the next day at Disney. Cheaper hotels than Boca too.

bostonspider
January 27th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I think that the game should be held either in Chatty, though it might be a little chilly in early January, or in a stadium in the deeper south. Like others said, 30K seats seems the right size. FIU and FAU's new stadiums look great as does UCF's, though I think that is closer to 45K seats. North Texas is building a new 30-35K seat stadium in Dallas Fort Worth area, due to open in 2010. Maybe that would be an option. I would love to see it held in the Home Depot Center in LA, but not sure how popular that would be, so far from most FCS schools.

MplsBison
January 27th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I think that the game should be held either in Chatty, though it might be a little chilly in early January, or in a stadium in the deeper south. Like others said, 30K seats seems the right size. FIU and FAU's new stadiums look great as does UCF's, though I think that is closer to 45K seats. North Texas is building a new 30-35K seat stadium in Dallas Fort Worth area, due to open in 2010. Maybe that would be an option. I would love to see it held in the Home Depot Center in LA, but not sure how popular that would be, so far from most FCS schools.

Houston is also said to be building an MLS stadium downtown.

And although it could be home to an FCS team (TSoU), the SWAC doesn't participate in the playoffs so that would be an exception.

bostonspider
January 27th, 2009, 01:59 PM
How about Robertson Stadium in Houston? It seats 31K I think

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0e/2008_Houston_Cougars_vs_Southern_Jaguars_at_Robert son_Stadium.jpg/800px-2008_Houston_Cougars_vs_Southern_Jaguars_at_Robert son_Stadium.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/46/South_endzone.jpg/800px-South_endzone.jpg

MplsBison
January 27th, 2009, 04:07 PM
That looks like a good one.

Houston is not hard to get to.

danefan
January 27th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Texas is such a BCS state though - do you really think the locals would embrace this at all? And what does Houston offer to folks with no affiliation to the teams in the game?

Vegas, Orlando, etc....offer something else to fill the days with!

GannonFan
January 27th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Vegas, Orlando, etc....offer something else to fill the days with!

I agree - I like Chatty, but there's no denying that if a proper size stadium in either Vegas or Orlando opened up, those places would be significantly more desireable locales than Chatty. I wouldn't be against a move at all.

And hey, not having it in the middle of the SoCon's backyard would be an interesting change of pace from the past 2 decades. xwhistlex

Syntax Error
January 27th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Vegas "gambling town" will never be considered for an NCAA championship and if the game is moved where ticket buyers have to fly... there goes half the crowd. And no 6-8K locals in the stands like Chatty. xtwocentsx

danefan
January 27th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Vegas "gambling town" will never be considered for an NCAA championship and if the game is moved where ticket buyers have to fly... there goes half the crowd. And no 6-8K locals in the stands like Chatty. xtwocentsx

Have you ever been to Vegas?
Vegas offer much much more than gambling and is surprisingly family friendly.

danefan
January 27th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I agree - I like Chatty, but there's no denying that if a proper size stadium in either Vegas or Orlando opened up, those places would be significantly more desireable locales than Chatty. I wouldn't be against a move at all.

And hey, not having it in the middle of the SoCon's backyard would be an interesting change of pace from the past 2 decades. xwhistlex

Sam Boyd Stadium in Vegas is just shy of 40,000. Not huge, but bigger than Chatty.

http://www.iaam.org/Districts/dist_7/facilities/Sam_Boyd_Stadium.jpg

GannonFan
January 27th, 2009, 04:33 PM

Vegas has made a lot of headway in terms of convincing people that you can play sports there and not worry about the gambling aspect. It wouldn't shock me to see the NCAA soften their stance towards playing there.

As for the flying, plenty of schools have to fly to Chatty as it is now anyway. And when you have two schools with big fanbases, having 6-8k locals just takes tickets away from those schools. There have been plenty of championship games, especially in Chatty, that were played in front of much less than capacity crowds. Having the same situation but in a better destination isn't that much of a trade-off.

Syntax Error
January 27th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Have you ever been to Vegas?
Vegas offer much much more than gambling and is surprisingly family friendly.Have you ever been to Chatty? That's family friendly without a slot machine every few feet. I have been to Vegas and thought it was incredibly sleazy. I will never go back. The NCAA sure isn't going to put the D-I champ game there and Vegas is too far away and wouldn't support it either is the point. All this talk is because it will be in the 40s-50s in January in Chatty? Good lawd! A football game can't be played when it is chilly out!!! ;)

GannonFan
January 27th, 2009, 04:41 PM

Vegas has made a lot of headway in terms of convincing people that you can play sports there and not worry about the gambling aspect. It wouldn't shock me to see the NCAA soften their stance towards playing there.

As for the flying, plenty of schools have to fly to Chatty as it is now anyway. And when you have two schools with big fanbases, having 6-8k locals just takes tickets away from those schools. There have been plenty of championship games, especially in Chatty, that were played in front of much less than capacity crowds. Having the same situation but in a better destination isn't that much of a trade-off.

Have you ever been to Chatty. That's family friendly without a slot machine every few feet. I have been to Vegas and thought it was incredibly sleazy. I will never go back. The NCAA sure isn't going to put the D-I champ game there and Vegas wouldn't support it either is the point.

Why wouldn't the NCAA put it there? There are already plenty of NCAA sanctioned events in Las Vegas, including a college bowl game (NCAA sanctioned), and also including the Mountain West Basketball Championships (NCAA sanctioned). There's been plenty of talk of playing part of the NCAA March Madness Tournament there as well. And from a gambling standpoint, those events certainly garner much more attention from the betting crowd than the FCS title game does.

Syntax Error
January 27th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Why wouldn't the NCAA put it there?Can you name one NCAA Tournament that has been scheduled there? Hint, the NCAA has a HUGE anti-gambling program.

BTW...
CURRENT CONDITIONS: Chattanooga Airport
A Few Clouds and 63 F (17 C)
Wind: From the Southeast at 7 MPH
Dewpoint: 53 F (12 C)
Pressure: 30.08" (1018.6 mb)
Last Updated: January 27, 2009 - 1:20PM

danefan
January 27th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Have you ever been to Chatty? That's family friendly without a slot machine every few feet. I have been to Vegas and thought it was incredibly sleazy. I will never go back. The NCAA sure isn't going to put the D-I champ game there and Vegas is too far away and wouldn't support it either is the point. All this talk is because it will be in the 40s-50s in January in Chatty? Good lawd! A football game can't be played when it is chilly out!!! ;)

Its not really about the game anymore. The game has proven that it cannot draw 25,000+ consistently. Of course the game can be played in cold weather but do people who have nothing invested in the game (non-affiliate fans) want to watch the game in cold weather? That's the problem.

And I said before that I've never been to Chatty. I'm sure its nice and they appear to have done a good job hosting the game, and if the intent is to keep the game as is now, than Chatty is a wonderful place. If they want to get to the point where the game sells out every year no matter the teams playing, Chatty has proven it isn't the place.

GannonFan
January 27th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Can you name one NCAA Tournament that has been scheduled there? Hint, the NCAA has a HUGE anti-gambling program.

BTW...

Nope, but like I said in the post above, there are more gambling-attractive, NCAA sanctioned events, already happening in Las Vegas than the FCS title game would represent. If they can play the Mountain West basketball tournament (a sport where gambling and things like point shaving are much more easily accomplished than football), and have the NCAA sanction it, then it's not a stretch at all to say the game could be there.

And as Dane says, the game in Chatty is never going to solidly attract 25k for every game, and probably not even come close, so the issue of filling a stadium is pretty much a moot point. And unlike Dane, I've been to Chatty. It's nice, and not a bad setup at all, but it's not so overwhelmingly perfected that it can't be conceived that the game could be elsewhere.

eaglesrthe1
January 27th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Its not really about the game anymore. The game has proven that it cannot draw 25,000+ consistently. Of course the game can be played in cold weather but do people who have nothing invested in the game (non-affiliate fans) want to watch the game in cold weather? That's the problem.

And I said before that I've never been to Chatty. I'm sure its nice and they appear to have done a good job hosting the game, and if the intent is to keep the game as is now, than Chatty is a wonderful place. If they want to get to the point where the game sells out every year no matter the teams playing, Chatty has proven it isn't the place.

In defense of Chatty, no place has proven to be THE place. However, Chatty is centrally located and within driving distance to the most teams... which has proven to help attendance. It has been held before at non IAA venues when both teams fans had to fly, with disastrous results when it came to attendance.

The most telling difference, and probably the deciding one, is that no city has expressed the interest nor effort that Chatty has.

BDKJMU
January 27th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Sam Boyd Stadium in Vegas is just shy of 40,000. Not huge, but bigger than Chatty.

http://www.iaam.org/Districts/dist_7/facilities/Sam_Boyd_Stadium.jpg

Too big IMHO. Anything over 30k is too big. In addition to keeping it in Chatty, FAU, Boca, new 30k stadium slated to open in 2010, North Tex, new 35k stadium slated to open in 2011 (a little too big) and Houston 31k are the 3 mentioned so far that seem like the best bets weather wise in Jan, and are all easy to get to. For North Texas you have DFW, American Airlines main Hub, about 25 miles from Denton. For Houston you have George HW Bush International, Continental Airlines main hub, and Houston Hobby, Southwest focus airport. For FAU/Boca you have Fort Lauderdale Int, less than 30 miles, and Miami Int, American hub, less than 50 miles.

North Texas stadium:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fouts_Field

If you're looking at:
1. deep south/TX
2. 20-30k stadium
3. Within an hr of a major airport

There can't be too many choices.

Syntax Error
January 27th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Nope...Me either and I don't think the NCAA would start with the gambling capital of the USA. Same with some far-flung destination that forces most to fly like Florida, South Carolina, Texas, etc. and if it's not an FCS town then educating the public works against you. I'm not saying Chatty or nothing but Chatty supports the game with 6-8K locals coming, has added so much to the events around the game, genuinely wants it, no one else has wrenched it away and the NCAA likes it there. xcoffeex

BDKJMU
January 27th, 2009, 05:58 PM
FIU is building a new stadium as well, which is in even nicer Miami.

Otherwise, maybe Bright House or the Citrus Bowl in Orlando would do the trick.

It would give people an excuse to go to Disney World, etc.

FIU: Its only 20k now, which would be just barely big enough, but they are expanding it to 45k expected to be complete for 2010, which would be too big.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIU_Stadium

Citrus bowl: 70k seats WAY too big.

Bright House: 45k: too big

Realistically, over the next 6 seasons (including the 1st 5 with 20 team playoff field at a new location) at least 10-11, and maybe all 12, of those teams odds are going to come from among about 15 teams. About 1/2 doz from the CAA, a handfull from the 3-4 from the So-Con & MVFC, + Montana & McNeese.

Almost all of Montana's, MVFC's, and CAAs fans would be driving to anywhere in the deep south or TX. The only team that would have a huge chunk of its fans drive to Houston would be McNeese. I could only see GSU (about 7.5 hrs according to Mapquest), FU (about 10.5 hrs) and ASU (about 12.5 hrs) having a large chunk of fans driving to Boca (about 45 mi north of Miami).

Bottom line is most years I could see attendance being about what it has been in the past, between 10-20k, 25k tops. That's not going to look good in a 45k stadium.

Green26
January 27th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Jackman, in the infrequent year when 12 games are permitted in I-AA, the 12th game could be accomodated by allowing games to start the last weekend of August (for any team that wanted a 12th game).

However, I think the expanded playoff format is a bad idea too. It's not worth the open weekend at the end of the season for 12 teams, the loss of momentum, etc.

BDKJMU
January 27th, 2009, 06:33 PM
FIU: Its only 20k now, which would be just barely big enough, but they are expanding it to 45k expected to be complete for 2010, which would be too big.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIU_Stadium

Citrus bowl: 70k seats WAY too big.

Bright House: 45k: too big

Realistically, over the next 6 seasons (the 1st 5 with 20 team playoff field at a new location) at least 10-11, and maybe all 12, of those teams odds are going to come from among about 15 teams. About 1/2 doz from the CAA, a handfull from the 3-4 from the So-Con & MVFC, + Montana & McNeese.

Almost all of Montana's, MVFC's, and CAAs fans would be driving to anywhere in the deep south or TX. The only team that would have a huge chunk of its fans drive to Houston would be McNeese. I could only see GSU (about 7.5 hrs according to Mapquest), FU (about 10.5 hrs) and ASU (about 12.5 hrs) having a large chunk of fans driving to Boca (about 45 mi north of Miami).

Bottom line is most years I could see attendance being about what it has been in the past, between 10-20k, 25k tops. That's not going to look good in a 45k stadium.

Also SMU in Dallas, 32k. Been to this stadium.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_J._Ford_Stadium
http://smumustangs.cstv.com/facilities/ford-stadium.html
http://ncaafootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=34&url_article_id=12776&change_well_id=2

Of course if the NCAA ended their SC boycott, the Citadel's Johnson Hagood, 22k, would be nice:
http://www.citadelsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=48656&SPID=4671&DB_OEM_ID=9700&ATCLID=1180796

Other not as good locations as those 4 (FAU, Houston, North Tex & SMU):
1. LA-Lafayette, 31k, about 2 hrs from New Orleans, 1 hr from Baton Rouge, (1+ hr from McNeese)
http://ncaafootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=34&url_article_id=13949&change_well_id=2

2.LA-Monroe, 30k, in middle of no where in northern LA, about 4.5 hrs both New Orleans & Dallas
http://ncaafootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=34&url_article_id=12818&change_well_id=2

3. Troy State, 30k, less than an hr south of Montgomery, about 2 1/2 hrs north of Panama City:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movie_Gallery_Stadium

NCAA football stadium guide:
http://www.ncaafootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=-1&url_subchannel_id=&url_article_id=13213&change_well_id=2

MplsBison
January 27th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Can you name one NCAA Tournament that has been scheduled there? Hint, the NCAA has a HUGE anti-gambling program.

BTW...

According to weather.com it will be 23 degrees F in Chatty Friday night.

I believe the championship will be played at night = below freezing temps for the game.

MplsBison
January 27th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Too big IMHO. Anything over 30k is too big. In addition to keeping it in Chatty, FAU, Boca, new 30k stadium slated to open in 2010, North Tex, new 35k stadium slated to open in 2011 (a little too big) and Houston 31k are the 3 mentioned so far that seem like the best bets weather wise in Jan, and are all easy to get to. For North Texas you have DFW, American Airlines main Hub, about 25 miles from Denton. For Houston you have George HW Bush International, Continental Airlines main hub, and Houston Hobby, Southwest focus airport. For FAU/Boca you have Fort Lauderdale Int, less than 30 miles, and Miami Int, American hub, less than 50 miles.

North Texas stadium:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fouts_Field

If you're looking at:
1. deep south/TX
2. 20-30k stadium
3. Within an hr of a major airport

There can't be too many choices.

Houston is looking good to me right now. Either UH's stadium or a new MLS stadium downtown.

MplsBison
January 27th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Me either and I don't think the NCAA would start with the gambling capital of the USA. Same with some far-flung destination that forces most to fly like Florida, South Carolina, Texas, etc. and if it's not an FCS town then educating the public works against you. I'm not saying Chatty or nothing but Chatty supports the game with 6-8K locals coming, has added so much to the events around the game, genuinely wants it, no one else has wrenched it away and the NCAA likes it there. xcoffeex

The NCAA is not going to force people to fly?

Posting stuff like that you obviously have an emotional investment in keeping the game in Chatty with no hope for being objective.

Syntax Error
January 27th, 2009, 07:52 PM
The NCAA is not going to force people to fly?
Posting stuff like that you obviously have an emotional investment in keeping the game in Chatty with no hope for being objective.Take a look at the champ game attendance numbers at far flung places and come back to report what you have learned. xcoffeex

MplsBison
January 27th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Take a look at the champ game attendance numbers at far flung places and come back to report what you have learned. xcoffeex

What other numbers are there? It's been in Chatty the last 20 years?

Any other sport is a non sequitor.

Syntax Error
January 27th, 2009, 07:55 PM
According to weather.com it will be 23 degrees F in Chatty Friday night.Cherrypick data much? xeyebrowx

I posted the temp today when it was happening. It has been warmer this month and colder, hence you can't pigeonhole bad weather in our championship city or anywhere else.

Syntax Error
January 27th, 2009, 07:57 PM
What other numbers are there? It's been in Chatty the last 20 years?
Any other sport is a non sequitor.Accuracy seems to be a "non sequitor" for you.

Take a look here for reality:
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2008/11/27/division-i-football-championship-playoff?blog=5

MplsBison
January 27th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Cherrypick data much? xeyebrowx

I posted the temp today when it was happening. It has been warmer this month and colder, hence you can't pigeonhole bad weather in our championship city or anywhere else.

10 day night temps for Chatty:

Below freezing game temps. Have fun with that.

MplsBison
January 27th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Accuracy seems to be a "non sequitor" for you.

Take a look here for reality:
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2008/11/27/division-i-football-championship-playoff?blog=5

Whoa! Look at Chatty burning up the attendance from 2001-2003!

Obviously it was two, small enrollment private schools in the game with small fanbases.

Montana Furman
Western Ky McNeese
Delaware Colgate

Yep, all small schools with no fanbases to speak of.

Good thing the Chatty locals were out in full force!

Syntax Error
January 27th, 2009, 08:45 PM
10 day night temps for Chatty: Below freezing game temps. Have fun with that.Yeah, should be in a dome? Nightime games temps near freezing, gawd! What do they think this is, Green Bay/Chicago/Foxboro etc???? xlolx Pretty clear there has to be a chance taken, move it to a sunny locale and risk bad attendance, or keep it where it is and have it be a little colder (maybe).

Syntax Error
January 27th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Montana Furman
Western Ky McNeese
Delaware Colgate

Yep, all small schools with no fanbases to speak of.
Good thing the Chatty locals were out in full force!You are right, I was at all three of those games. Each featured a well traveling school and one that was not. But it would have been much worse in each case if the smaller school fans could not have driven to the game. Chatty citizens did indeed show for all three. xthumbsupx

GannonFan
January 27th, 2009, 09:08 PM
You are right, I was at all three of those games. Each featured a well traveling school and one that was not. But it would have been much worse in each case if the smaller school fans could not have driven to the game. Chatty citizens did indeed show for all three. xthumbsupx

You think Colgate fans were driving to the game in Chatty in '03? Heck, most Delaware fans end up flying and UD is about (just guessing) 6-8 hours south of Ithaca.

BDKJMU
January 27th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Here's another good one:
FAMU's Bragg Memorial in Tallahassee. 25.5k listed capacity, which would be about the perfect size.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/north_america/countries/united_states/florida.shtml

MplsBison
January 28th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Yeah, should be in a dome? Nightime games temps near freezing, gawd! What do they think this is, Green Bay/Chicago/Foxboro etc???? xlolx Pretty clear there has to be a chance taken, move it to a sunny locale and risk bad attendance, or keep it where it is and have it be a little colder (maybe).

There has never been a bad attendance in a southern stadium for the FCS title game in the last 20 years.

Any data before that is a non sequitor.

IE, there is no possible argument about attendance unless we actually try it.

MplsBison
January 28th, 2009, 08:17 AM
You are right, I was at all three of those games. Each featured a well traveling school and one that was not. But it would have been much worse in each case if the smaller school fans could not have driven to the game. Chatty citizens did indeed show for all three. xthumbsupx

Obviously, with those huge numbers.

You have zero ammunition to use against moving the game to Houston or another warmer, larger location.

MplsBison
January 28th, 2009, 08:18 AM
You think Colgate fans were driving to the game in Chatty in '03? Heck, most Delaware fans end up flying and UD is about (just guessing) 6-8 hours south of Ithaca.

No doubt that very few fans actually drive to Chatty outside SoCon teams.

How convenient for the SoCon.

henfan
January 28th, 2009, 09:08 AM
It's fun to rattle off the names of cities and stadiums, compare and evaluate avg. temps for a given period in different locales, and speculate of what attendance might be at once place vs. another. It's entirely another thing to understand that the NCAA, aside from looking at these issues and more, also places its NC games in cities that want them enough to put up money to host. Absent genuine interest, the chatter is pointless. There's no value in suggesting that Boca, Charleston, Vegas, etc. would be great places to play the FCS NC game, if Boca, Charleston, Vegas, etc. aren't interested in hosting.

DSUrocks07
January 28th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Here's another good one:
FAMU's Bragg Memorial in Tallahassee. 25.5k listed capacity, which would be about the perfect size.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/north_america/countries/united_states/florida.shtml

I agree. xthumbsupx

The mild weather of Florida, with the small town feel of Chatty, and plus we would be the only show in town. Of course FAMU is traditionally one of the better teams in the MEAC so there will be a risk of having the title game as a home game for them. Not something we have to worry about now with UT-C.

Green26
January 28th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Hosting involves much more than putting up some money for various things. It involves alot of work on the part of the host committee and host city.

Maybe the game should be in Missoula, in Griz stadium. Then, in the years when Montana was in the championship, practicing outside in the cold temps, snow and ice, would be an advantage. The fans could ski, x-country ski, snow shoe, snowmobile--in addition to drinking. No concerns about sunburning.

813Jag
January 28th, 2009, 09:55 AM
I hope I don't catch much heat from Big Dawg. But Tallahassee? Bragg Stadium? xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

That would be like having the game in Baton Rouge at Mumford. How many of you guys have been to Tallahassee?

henfan
January 28th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Hosting involves much more than putting up some money for various things. It involves alot of work on the part of the host committee and host city.

Absolutely agreed, but it all starts with interest, backed up by organization and, of course, money.

89Hen
January 28th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I hope I don't catch much heat from Big Dawg. But Tallahassee? Bragg Stadium?
What is Bragg like? The pics I've seen of it make it look pretty old with very few amenities. FAMU fans shouldn't take offense, the Tub is just as old and just as spartan. xpeacex

813Jag
January 28th, 2009, 11:02 AM
What is Bragg like? The pics I've seen of it make it look pretty old with very few amenities. FAMU fans shouldn't take offense, the Tub is just as old and just as spartan. xpeacex
It's a nice stadium but it probably needs some renovations. Some of these names people are throwing around shows they've never been there. Dallas in January? Lafayette? xlolx

GannonFan
January 28th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I agree. xthumbsupx

The mild weather of Florida, with the small town feel of Chatty, and plus we would be the only show in town. Of course FAMU is traditionally one of the better teams in the MEAC so there will be a risk of having the title game as a home game for them. Not something we have to worry about now with UT-C.

Not trying to bring this thread into smack territory, but the MEAC hasn't exactly been lighting it up in the playoffs in the past decade. The fear of a team being the host and playing in the title game (ala Marshall back during the Marshall Invitational days) if the game was in Tallahassee is not really a huge concern.

BDKJMU
January 28th, 2009, 12:20 PM
It's a nice stadium but it probably needs some renovations. Some of these names people are throwing around shows they've never been there. Dallas in January? Lafayette? xlolx

I said Lafayette wouldn't be a good choice, but I was throwing out every stadium in the deep south (SC, GA, FLA, AL, LA, Miss & TX) that is between 20 and 35 k. Lafayette is about 600 mi (by road) southwest of Chatty, so its got to be warmer than Chatty in Jan.

As far as Dallas in early Jan, I've been there at the end of Dec. Dallas would be warmer than Chatty in early Jan plus way more to do there, easier to fly to.

BDKJMU
January 28th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I didn't know JSU was expanding to 24k for 2010. I didn't know they were expanding it, as the Wiki profile doesn't mention it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Snow_Stadium
But of course on the JSU expansion thread it does:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55610

According to mapquest they're about 1.25 hrs east of Birmingham, about 1.75 hrs west of Atlanta, & about 2 hrs south of Chatty. Not near/by the mtns of N GA like Chatty is, so would be a little warmer than Chatty, and are closer to Atlanta, the busiest airport in the world & Delta's main hub. So there's another one.

813Jag
January 28th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I said Lafayette wouldn't be a good choice, but I was throwing out every stadium in the deep south (SC, GA, FLA, AL, LA, Miss & TX) that is between 20 and 35 k. Lafayette is about 600 mi (by road) southwest of Chatty, so its got to be warmer than Chatty in Jan.

As far as Dallas in early Jan, I've been there at the end of Dec. Dallas would be warmer than Chatty in early Jan plus way more to do there, easier to fly to.
If chatty gets the ice and snow Dallas can get. I don't know the weather in Dallas can be pretty unpredictable. Basically my point is there are places of size but most of them aren't in areas that would be beneficial to a Championship game.

Eaglesrus
January 28th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Not trying to bring this thread into smack territory, but the MEAC hasn't exactly been lighting it up in the playoffs in the past decade. The fear of a team being the host and playing in the title game (ala Marshall back during the Marshall Invitational days) if the game was in Tallahassee is not really a huge concern.

Ahh, another reminder of the good old days!

MplsBison
January 28th, 2009, 02:19 PM
It's fun to rattle off the names of cities and stadiums, compare and evaluate avg. temps for a given period in different locales, and speculate of what attendance might be at once place vs. another. It's entirely another thing to understand that the NCAA, aside from looking at these issues and more, also places its NC games in cities that want them enough to put up money to host. Absent genuine interest, the chatter is pointless. There's no value in suggesting that Boca, Charleston, Vegas, etc. would be great places to play the FCS NC game, if Boca, Charleston, Vegas, etc. aren't interested in hosting.

How much money is the City of Chattanooga paying the NCAA to host the FCS championship game?

MplsBison
January 28th, 2009, 02:22 PM
I hope I don't catch much heat from Big Dawg. But Tallahassee? Bragg Stadium? xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

That would be like having the game in Baton Rouge at Mumford. How many of you guys have been to Tallahassee?

I've been to the Capitol and FSU. Very nice.

henfan
January 28th, 2009, 03:07 PM
How much money is the City of Chattanooga paying the NCAA to host the FCS championship game?

Technically, it's the Greater Chattanooga Sports & Events Committee who have placed bids, not the City.

In any case, the NCAA doesn't offer bid amounts for public consumption, though somehow I seem to recall numbers being made public around the time the last time the game went out to bid. Perhaps a Google search will prove fruitful for you.

The City has indicated that the game has had an average economic impact of $1.8M per year, which is not insignificant for a city the size of Chattanooga.

BDKJMU
January 28th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Here's another good one:

-Southern's Mumford in Baton Rouge since they're getting that 16.5 million facelift and with expansion will according to the article bring them to 29k capacity.
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2008/01/06/southern_s_mumford_statium_expansion?blog=2

-ODU's renovated Foreman field, 20k. Although not deep south, but since its on the coast has about the same avg daily Jan high (48) vs Chattanooga (49).
http://hamptonroads.com/node/334291

MplsBison
January 28th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Technically, it's the Greater Chattanooga Sports & Events Committee who have placed bids, not the City.

In any case, the NCAA doesn't offer bid amounts for public consumption, though somehow I seem to recall numbers being made public around the time the last time the game went out to bid. Perhaps a Google search will prove fruitful for you.

The City has indicated that the game has had an average economic impact of $1.8M per year, which is not insignificant for a city the size of Chattanooga.

So the bid is less than $1.8M.

That's peanuts to a city like Houston. No problem.

henfan
January 28th, 2009, 08:21 PM
So the bid is less than $1.8M.

That's peanuts to a city like Houston. No problem.

If $1.8M is truly peanuts to a city the size of Houston that might explain why they've not bid on the NC game.

MplsBison
January 28th, 2009, 08:59 PM
If $1.8M is truly peanuts to a city the size of Houston that might explain why they've not bid on the NC game.

What is the NCAAs plan when no city bids on the game?

danefan
January 28th, 2009, 09:09 PM
$1.8 is peanuts for most cities.

Some examples of bowl game impacts from 2007:

BCS Championship Game: $171.5 million
Fiesta Bowl: $115.8 million
Insight Bowl: $62.2 million

http://dayton.bizjournals.com/phoenix/stories/2007/04/23/daily48.html

I meant the National Band Championship had an impact of $7.8 million.

This year's BCS championship had an estimated $300 million economic impact.

No wonder the FCS NC game is ignored by the NCAA and no other cities have bid. Its essentially a financial non-event.

Syntax Error
January 28th, 2009, 09:12 PM
It's been in Chatty the last 20 years
Whoa! Look at Chatty burning up the attendance from 2001-2003! Obviously it was two, small enrollment private schools in the game with small fanbases.
... there is no possible argument about attendance unless we actually try it.
You have zero ammunition to use against moving the game to Houston or another warmer, larger location.
No doubt that very few fans actually drive to Chatty outside SoCon teams.xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

All this from a D-II fan who is just getting wet in D-I, never been to a championship game, never even been to a playoff game. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Seriously son, knowledge is not learned by watching bowl games on the tube.

danefan
January 28th, 2009, 09:15 PM
All this from a D-II fan who is just getting wet in D-I, never been to a championship game, never even been to a playoff game.

Doesn't mean his ideas have no merit.

Right now, unless Albany makes the NC game, I have no interest in attending. I'd seriously consider attending if the game was in Vegas or Orlando and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Syntax Error
January 28th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Some examples of bowl game impacts...And if you believe that then you believe their reported attendance! xlolx xsmiley_wix

Syntax Error
January 28th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Doesn't mean his ideas have no merit.Okay... all you said from a D-II fan who is just getting wet in D-I, never been to a championship game, never even been to a playoff game. AND who's TEAM has never been either. xlolx :p

LUHawker
January 28th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Doesn't mean his ideas have no merit.

Right now, unless Albany makes the NC game, I have no interest in attending. I'd seriously consider attending if the game was in Vegas or Orlando and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I second danefan's sentiments (although I'd consider going to an NC game if it was close - which it isn't). I would consider going if it was to a "destination" city. Vegas, Orlando, Charleston, New Orleans and Miami are all places that would entice me to make a trip.

Syntax Error
January 28th, 2009, 09:22 PM
All jokes aside, everyone who wants to go to Vegas, go. The NCAA will never have a championship there. Orlando or anywhere in Florida doesn't want it and wouldn't support it (there have been studies). The best bidder was UNI last round but they lowballed.

henfan
January 29th, 2009, 07:40 AM
What is the NCAAs plan when no city bids on the game?

I'm probably not the best person to answer that hypothetical. That's a question best posed to an NCAA D-I official.

To the best of my knowledge, the NCAA has never had that problem with the I-AA/D-I Football Championship.

henfan
January 29th, 2009, 07:56 AM
I second danefan's sentiments (although I'd consider going to an NC game if it was close - which it isn't). I would consider going if it was to a "destination" city. Vegas, Orlando, Charleston, New Orleans and Miami are all places that would entice me to make a trip.

Sorry. A vast majority of FCS fans are not going to go to the FCS FB championship just because it's in a destination city, despite their desires and best intentions. "Considering" to go and actually putting money up to go are two different things entirely. Many fans might consider going until finances and better sense intervened. The game is around the holidays and few people have the availability or spare finances to take the family on an extra plane trip to a football game, regardless of where the game is being played.

The NCAA has done well to understand that and plan accordingly. They consider accomodating their core ticket buyers first, which has been and always will be the fans of the participating schools and the locals. Anyone else who's that interested in the game will come regardless of where it's held. The margin of others who would otherwise come because the game is being held in a particular destination would likely be slim.

LUHawker
January 29th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Sorry. A vast majority of FCS fans are not going to go to the FCS FB championship just because it's in a destination city, despite their desires and best intentions. "Considering" to go and actually putting money up to go are two different things entirely. Many fans might consider going until finances and better sense intervened. The game is around the holidays and few people have the availability or spare finances to take the family on an extra plane trip to a football game, regardless of where the game is being played.

The NCAA has done well to understand that and plan accordingly. They consider accomodating their core ticket buyers first, which has been and always will be the fans of the participating schools and the locals. Anyone else who's that interested in the game will come regardless of where it's held. The margin of others who would otherwise come because the game is being held in a particular destination would likely be slim.

Who said anything about the "vast majority of FCS fans"? I was talking about me. You're correct that the marginal attendance from non-participating schools would likely be slim. However, you may be overlooking the fact that considerably more fans from the participating schools might show up if it were held at a destination. I'm not sure we'll ever find out though.

813Jag
January 29th, 2009, 09:01 AM
if anybody thinks New Orleans is rolling out the red carpet, right after the Sugar Bowl or before the BCS game isn't thinking clearly. besides would you play at the Superdome? Louisiana won't support outside of a few FCS fans.

MplsBison
January 29th, 2009, 09:10 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

All this from a D-II fan who is just getting wet in D-I, never been to a championship game, never even been to a playoff game. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Seriously son, knowledge is not learned by watching bowl games on the tube.

Resort to ad homs when you have no argument.

MplsBison
January 29th, 2009, 09:11 AM
All jokes aside, everyone who wants to go to Vegas, go. The NCAA will never have a championship there. Orlando or anywhere in Florida doesn't want it and wouldn't support it (there have been studies). The best bidder was UNI last round but they lowballed.

What is the NCAAs plan for when Chatty doesn't want the game and doesn't bid on it?

MplsBison
January 29th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I'm probably not the best person to answer that hypothetical. That's a question best posed to an NCAA D-I official.

To the best of my knowledge, the NCAA has never had that problem with the I-AA/D-I Football Championship.

If you and Syntax are to be believed, they are about to have that problem for the FCS championship game.

According to you two, Chattanooga TN is the only possible location that the FCS championship game can ever be held.

God will smite us all if we even consider moving it.

Yet UTC AD is on record saying he doesn't think Chatty will be interested in the game if the date was moved it .... and now it has been moved out.

MplsBison
January 29th, 2009, 09:15 AM

You don't speak for anyone except yourself.

I guarantee that if fans of the two championship game schools (and even fans of other FCS schools!) had an excuse to go to a place like Orlando FL, they would take vacation time and go.

I think you actually know better and are lying because you are so desperate to keep the game in Chatty.

henfan
January 29th, 2009, 09:26 AM
However, you may be overlooking the fact that considerably more fans from the participating schools might show up if it were held at a destination. I'm not sure we'll ever find out though.

Again, I think those numbers would be marginal, not considerable.

A majority of fans are going to make the trip 1) because their team is playing and 2) because they can afford the time and money to do it. While certainly enhancing or detracting from the overall experience, in the end, whether the game is held in a destination location has little to do with most people's decision to either go or not support the team they love.

IMO, a much more important consideration is the ease and cost of travel. If it's exceedingly difficult or expensive to get to the game, fewer people will attend.

henfan
January 29th, 2009, 09:41 AM
You don't speak for anyone except yourself.

I guarantee that if fans of the two championship game schools (and even fans of other FCS schools!) had an excuse to go to a place like Orlando FL, they would take vacation time and go.

I think you actually know better and are lying because you are so desperate to keep the game in Chatty.

I didn't disguise my opinion as anything other than that. I'm smart enough to understand that I have zero control over what the NCAA is going to do. I'm not about to make wild guarantees about what other people might or might not do with their money and vacation time (see your second sentence.) xrotatehx

Understand this: I couldn't care less where the NC game is held. I'm a fan that will follow my team wherever and whenever they are fortunate enough to make the NC game, whether it's held in Chattanooga, Orlando or Timbuktu. My first-hand experience in Chattanooga has been great but I'm open to having a great time anywhere my team is playing. I'll be there no matter.xthumbsupx

MplsBison
January 29th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I didn't disguise my opinion as anything other than that. I'm smart enough to understand that I have zero control over what the NCAA is going to do. I'm not about to make wild guarantees about what other people might or might not do with their money and vacation time (see your second sentence.) xrotatehx

Understand this: I couldn't care less where the NC game is held. I'm a fan that will follow my team wherever and whenever they are fortunate enough to make the NC game, whether it's held in Chattanooga, Orlando or Timbuktu. My first-hand experience in Chattanooga has been great but I'm open to having a great time anywhere my team is playing. I'll be there no matter.xthumbsupx

Then stop trying to pigeonhole the game in Chatty like Syntax.

henfan
January 29th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Then stop trying to pigeonhole the game in Chatty like Syntax.

What part of "I couldn't care less where the NC game is held. I'm a fan that will follow my team wherever and whenever they are fortunate enough to make the NC game..." did you not understand? xnutsx

I'm sorry if you don't believe that my experiences in Chattanooga have been good ones and that I might have some insight why the NCAA might want to keep the NC game there. As a fan, location isn't a big concern of mine.

GannonFan
January 29th, 2009, 10:16 AM
What part of "I couldn't care less where the NC game is held. I'm a fan that will follow my team wherever and whenever they are fortunate enough to make the NC game..." did you not understand? xnutsx

I'd wager to say almost every word in that sentence. xlolxxlolxxlolx

89Hen
January 29th, 2009, 10:31 AM
I'd seriously consider attending if the game was in Vegas or Orlando and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
I'm sorry danefan, but I have call 100% BS on that. That's just cheap talk. xcoffeex

89Hen
January 29th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I will notify the NCAA to book it since they have your guarantee. xrolleyesx

89Hen
January 29th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I'm sorry if you don't believe that my experiences in Chattanooga have been good ones and that I might have some insight why the NCAA might want to keep the NC game there. As a fan, location isn't a big concern of mine.
Yup. I was anti-Chatty, before actually going. Anyone who hasn't been can't really form an educated opinion, and can only speak in theory. xpeacex

danefan
January 29th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I'm sorry danefan, but I have call 100% BS on that. That's just cheap talk. xcoffeex

Belive it or not, but its "just cheap talk."

I have absolutely no desire to go to Chattanooga. The only thing that would get me there is if Albany made the championship game.

I love Vegas and Orlando is a nice vacation. I (and others) would plan a trip around the game to be able to take in the game and enjoy the other attractions.

89Hen
January 29th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I love Vegas and Orlando is a nice vacation. I (and others) would plan a trip around the game to be able to take in the game and enjoy the other attractions.
Easy to say. xpeacex

BTW, there is no way I go to Chatty if the Hens aren't in it either... but I also don't see me planning a family vacation around the NC game no matter where it is.

MplsBison
January 29th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Easy to say. xpeacex

BTW, there is no way I go to Chatty if the Hens aren't in it either... but I also don't see me planning a family vacation around the NC game no matter where it is.

Speak for yourself.

Many FCS fans would plan vacation time around a destination championship game if it were held in a destination city.

Simple reality.

Green26
January 29th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I agree with you, 89 Hen. I wasn't excited about Chatty before I went, but now I enjoy going. It's small enough so that the fans dominate downtown for several days. The local people are very nice and helpful. They almost all know why you're there. If you want to do anything other than drink and socialize, there are some things to do.

While I suppose a destination area, like Florida or Las Vegas, would have appeal to some fans, games in larger population areas would not be as intimate and would dilute much of the championship aura that a place like Chatty allows.

For anyone with kids still at home, and for people who have jobs like teaching, traveling the first week of January is a horrible time to travel.

And again, mid-week travel is bad for alot of people, because so many days of work have to be missed. For people from Montana, it would be a minimum of 3 working days off--which would come after many people have just taken off a few days over the holidays..

henfan
January 29th, 2009, 12:50 PM

In this economy, too few people are boarding planes to take families on vacation anywhere, anytime, let alone on trips centered around FB games that don't feature their hometown teams or alma maters. Moving the game to a day after the winter holiday is the ultimate dealbreaker in that regard.

The NCAA has held NC games in so-called destination cities in the past (e.g.- Orlando and Charleston) and those locales didn't exactly prove to be the panacea for success. The Orlando game drew 5K. I suppose the 20K other I-AA fanatics who intended to make the game just didn't get off the beach that day.

Syntax Error
January 29th, 2009, 01:15 PM
What part of "I couldn't care less where the NC game is held. I'm a fan that will follow my team wherever and whenever they are fortunate enough to make the NC game..." did you not understand? xnutsxAbout the same as was understood when I told him:
... I'm not saying Chatty or nothing but Chatty supports the game with 6-8K locals coming, has added so much to the events around the game, genuinely wants it, no one else has wrenched it away and the NCAA likes it there.His grasp of what was said in one word... NOTHING

MplsBison
January 29th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I agree with you, 89 Hen. I wasn't excited about Chatty before I went, but now I enjoy going. It's small enough so that the fans dominate downtown for several days. The local people are very nice and helpful. They almost all know why you're there. If you want to do anything other than drink and socialize, there are some things to do.

While I suppose a destination area, like Florida or Las Vegas, would have appeal to some fans, games in larger population areas would not be as intimate and would dilute much of the championship aura that a place like Chatty allows.

For anyone with kids still at home, and for people who have jobs like teaching, traveling the first week of January is a horrible time to travel.

And again, mid-week travel is bad for alot of people, because so many days of work have to be missed. For people from Montana, it would be a minimum of 3 working days off--which would come after many people have just taken off a few days over the holidays..

Which is why a familiy vacation destination (Orlando) is so ideal. It gives people an excuse to take vacation time and take the whole family.

MplsBison
January 29th, 2009, 01:30 PM
In this economy, too few people are boarding planes to take families on vacation anywhere, anytime, let alone on trips centered around FB games that don't feature their hometown teams or alma maters. Moving the game to a day after the winter holiday is the ultimate dealbreaker in that regard.

The NCAA has held NC games in so-called destination cities in the past (e.g.- Orlando and Charleston) and those locales didn't exactly prove to be the panacea for success. The Orlando game drew 5K. I suppose the 20K other I-AA fanatics who intended to make the game just didn't get off the beach that day.

Data from 20+ years ago is a non sequitor.

Stop quoting 1980s as if it means anything.

Syntax Error
January 29th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Yeah, henfan, facts are a non sequitor don't you know? xnutsx

MplsBison
January 29th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Yeah, henfan, facts are a non sequitor don't you know? xnutsx

The attendance in Athens for the first olympics was great because Athens was a destination city.

Since we're now considering the entire history of sporting event attendence since there no legitimate cut off when attendance figures have no relevence to the present, you know?

89Hen
January 29th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Speak for yourself.

Many FCS fans would plan vacation time around a destination championship game if it were held in a destination city.

Simple reality.
NO, IT'S NOT. IT'S PURE CONJECTURE. xnonono2xxnonono2xxnonono2x

89Hen
January 29th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Which is why a familiy vacation destination (Orlando) is so ideal. It gives people an excuse to take vacation time and take the whole family.
Hey honey, what say we take the kids down to Orlando to see Northern Iowa play Montana for the I-AA National Championship? GIVE ME A FRIGGIN BREAK.

Mpls, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say one, you've never been to the NC game in Chatty and two, you are not married with kids. If the answer to those are no.... well. xcoffeex

813Jag
January 29th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Hey honey, what say we take the kids down to Orlando to see Northern Iowa play Montana for the I-AA National Championship? GIVE ME A FRIGGIN BREAK.

Mpls, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say one, you've never been to the NC game in Chatty and two, you are not married with kids. If the answer to those are no.... well. xcoffeex
I tried it this past season and all I got was this -------> xlolx.

danefan
January 29th, 2009, 03:23 PM

You bring up a good point, but that is exactly what happens with the LAX championship and they don't even need a destination location. They have made the event a family and fan friendly event. The FCS is well positioned to replicate that.

Why not make it a spot where families can go to show their kids high level college football? We all know 99% of people cannot afford to take a family of four to the BCS national championship.

This is another avenue for the game to go - fan festivals, family events, etc... Its just very unlikley to draw anyone in Chatty in January.xpeacex

89Hen
January 29th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Its just very unlikley to draw anyone in Chatty in January.xpeacex
It's very unlikely to draw anyone anywhere on Jan 5th. xpeacex

MplsBison
January 29th, 2009, 03:33 PM
NO, IT'S NOT. IT'S PURE CONJECTURE. xnonono2xxnonono2xxnonono2x

Someone needs a time-out.

It's a fact, don't know why you'd deny it.

MplsBison
January 29th, 2009, 03:35 PM

More like, honey lets take the kids down to Orlando and go see Disney world.

Why are you trying to be dishonest about this?

89Hen
January 29th, 2009, 03:37 PM
It's a fact
So your theory is if you say it enough times it will become fact? Do you know what a fact is? xconfusedx

89Hen
January 29th, 2009, 03:37 PM
More like, honey lets take the kids down to Orlando and go see Disney world.

Why are you trying to be dishonest about this?
Again, you're not married with kids are you? Did you know most people are just going back to work and school on Jan 5th?

McTailGator
January 29th, 2009, 04:26 PM
That looks like a good one.

Houston is not hard to get to.

Two Airlines call it a Hub and may even sponsor it and send charters for fans.

Better weather,

And they are building a brand new state of the art 23,000 seat stadium in down Town Houston for soccor that TSU will call home. It will be very close to the Toyota Center, minutemade park, and MANY hotels all in walking distance.

I think the NCAA should hold ALL of it's D-I Fall championships in Houston during the same week.

Houston is a huge city and will support this event. No problem getting sell outs.

danefan
January 29th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Two Airlines call it a Hub and may even sponsor it and send charters for fans.

Better weather,

And they are building a brand new state of the art 23,000 seat stadium in down Town Houston for soccor that TSU will call home. It will be very close to the Toyota Center, minutemade park, and MANY hotels all in walking distance.

I think the NCAA should hold ALL of it's D-I Fall championships in Houston during the same week.

Houston is a huge city and will support this event. No problem getting sell outs.

Now there's a sweet idea. It would be like the NCAA Olympics.

turfdoc
January 29th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Just my experience

I have had tickets the NC twice (once when my team was playing and once just to go).

Because of the time to prepare for flights (when my team made it) and the lack of mass transit from an accessible airport to the city (when I was just going), I decided to drive. Leaving Thursday night after work. Both times I got turned back by bad weather (and I am a brave soul when it comes to driving in adverse weather) so I have never been to Chatty for the game.

I long for the time when the NC game can become something that students/parents/fans can actually prepare for, get to and turn into a nice 3-4 day trip. The current model truly only works for the most hardcore of fans or those people who have tremendous flexibility in their jobs and family life. Heck just giving 2 weeks between the semi's and the final would be nice but having it in January will be awesome.

That and $1.38 Canadian will get you a double double at Tim Horton's

MplsBison
January 29th, 2009, 09:02 PM
So your theory is if you say it enough times it will become fact? Do you know what a fact is? xconfusedx

So your theory is that if you claim the opposite of my claim enough times it will become fact?

MplsBison
January 29th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Again, you're not married with kids are you? Did you know most people are just going back to work and school on Jan 5th?

Nonsense.

Most people get Dec 24-26th off.

That's 1.5 weeks inbetween.

Why are you lying about this?

MplsBison
January 29th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Just my experience

I have had tickets the NC twice (once when my team was playing and once just to go).

Because of the time to prepare for flights (when my team made it) and the lack of mass transit from an accessible airport to the city (when I was just going), I decided to drive. Leaving Thursday night after work. Both times I got turned back by bad weather (and I am a brave soul when it comes to driving in adverse weather) so I have never been to Chatty for the game.

I long for the time when the NC game can become something that students/parents/fans can actually prepare for, get to and turn into a nice 3-4 day trip. The current model truly only works for the most hardcore of fans or those people who have tremendous flexibility in their jobs and family life. Heck just giving 2 weeks between the semi's and the final would be nice but having it in January will be awesome.

That and $1.38 Canadian will get you a double double at Tim Horton's

xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

turfdoc
January 29th, 2009, 09:16 PM
In addition to my above reasoning I follow it with:

If people can make it to a game in Chatty with one weeks notice (typically having to take Thursday and Friday off work if not just friday. Those same fans could probably swagger 2 days off to get to a game in early January.

Generally you do not lose your hardcore fans, you might gain a few less hardcore people.

The locals may or may not support it and that is the biggest potential downfall, although I think in Texas they might be able to get locals to support it. They do like football there.

What are the facilities at San Marcos like these days. Between Austin and San Antonio two really nice vacation spots. Same lack of a good airport though. The alamo bowl is just too big

UAalum72
January 30th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Nonsense.

Most people get Dec 24-26th off.

That's 1.5 weeks inbetween.

Why are you lying about this?
No, you are lying about this.

Grade schools and high schools are off Dec. 24 thru Jan. 1 and then return.

Again, you don't have any kids, do you? Responsible parents won't extend the break three or more days for an FCS championship.

You have no possible valid response to this.

MplsBison
January 30th, 2009, 08:26 AM
No, you are lying about this.

Grade schools and high schools are off Dec. 24 thru Jan. 1 and then return.

Again, you don't have any kids, do you? Responsible parents won't extend the break three or more days for an FCS championship.

You have no possible valid response to this.

2010 the game is on Jan 6th and school would likely start again on Jan 4th (Jan 1 on Fri).

You're telling me parents won't take vacation time Jan 4th-6th and pull their kids out of school for three days?

Bulllllllllsh********t.

GannonFan
January 30th, 2009, 09:12 AM
2010 the game is on Jan 6th and school would likely start again on Jan 4th (Jan 1 on Fri).

You're telling me parents won't take vacation time Jan 4th-6th and pull their kids out of school for three days?

Bulllllllllsh********t.

Not in great numbers and not with just 3 weeks notice (once they realize their team has made the game). Again, it just doesn't sound like you have kids at all - what you're suggesting simply isn't done outside of a few cases.

UAalum72
January 30th, 2009, 09:14 AM

Bulllllllllsh********t.
So are you not a parent, or just an irresponsible one?

And a travel day on the 7th. So for a lot of people they're using 1/3 or almost half of their year's vacation for this one game.

813Jag
January 30th, 2009, 09:20 AM
here's a proposal to all those who feel neutral fans will come to the game in a destination city. Come to the Bayou Classic, you have ties to neither team, you already know when the game is, it's a holiday weekend and if your team is not in the playoffs it gives you a chance to scoop up the family and go to a game. xlolx

Here's a plus the game is on field turf. xlolx

danefan
January 30th, 2009, 09:21 AM
here's a proposal to all those who feel neutral fans will come to the game in a destination city. Come to the Bayou Classic, you have ties to neither team, you already know when the game is, it's a holiday weekend and if your team is not in the playoffs it gives you a chance to scoop up the family and go to a game. xlolx

Here's a plus the game is on field turf. xlolx

And there's no track around the field and the teams were Nike uniforms right?

813Jag
January 30th, 2009, 10:02 AM
And there's no track around the field and the teams were Nike uniforms right?
no track but they wear Russell. sorry. xlolx

89Hen
January 30th, 2009, 10:03 AM

Bulllllllllsh********t.
AGAIN... YOU DON'T HAVE KIDS. Those of us that do can say with fair certainty... NO, parents will NOT extend break by three day to take their families to the I-AA NC game. It's like talking to a wall here. xbangx

bluehenbillk
January 30th, 2009, 10:05 AM
AGAIN... YOU DON'T HAVE KIDS. Those of us that do can say with fair certainty... NO, parents will NOT extend break by three day to take their families to the I-AA NC game. It's like talking to a wall here. xbangx

I have 2 boys. I would pull my kids out of school for a trip to the NC game. I had them both proudly attend the Phillies WS parade too. They'll learn more on those trips than they would elsewhere.

89Hen
So your theory is that if you claim the opposite of my claim enough times it will become fact?
The only FACT we know is that currently general I-AA fans do NOT come to the NC game in any kind of considerable numbers. That is an undisputable fact. Ask anyone who's been. You will see the occasional Griz or GSU jersey, but only a VERY few. You are SPECULATING that moving the game to another destination will dramatically increase the attendance by the general I-AA fan. That is NOT a fact. xrulesx

89Hen
I have 2 boys. I would pull my kids out of school for a trip to the NC game....
For a UNI/Montana NC game?

eaglesrthe1
January 30th, 2009, 10:20 AM
No serious debate going on here, just repeated chain yanking.

turfdoc
January 30th, 2009, 10:32 AM
So are you not a parent, or just an irresponsible one?

And a travel day on the 7th. So for a lot of people they're using 1/3 or almost half of their year's vacation for this one game.

How is this any different than pulling your kid out of school on a Thursday and Friday in December. One day extra of absence for the kid?

The people who go to the game already (on its current date) are either doing this or leaving their kids behind (or do not have them). The fans who currently attend will continue to attend.

Moving the date assures that I will be there if my team, or heck a team from my conference is playing in the game. So you might pick up a few people like me along the way. Still no "drastic Decline" in attendance. The big factor is to find a venue where the locals will by 5-8,000 tix year end and year out. That is the challenge and the only real argument surrounding the moving of the game.

Also I would think that being the only game on the night before the NC BcS game would increase exposure of the city and of FCS football. That is all on how it is marketed.

MplsBison
January 30th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I have 2 boys. I would pull my kids out of school for a trip to the NC game. I had them both proudly attend the Phillies WS parade too. They'll learn more on those trips than they would elsewhere.

THere you go 89 and 72, you guys don't have a clue. (hey it rhymes!)

MplsBison
January 30th, 2009, 10:58 AM
The only FACT we know is that currently general I-AA fans do NOT come to the NC game in any kind of considerable numbers. That is an undisputable fact. Ask anyone who's been. You will see the occasional Griz or GSU jersey, but only a VERY few. You are SPECULATING that moving the game to another destination will dramatically increase the attendance by the general I-AA fan. That is NOT a fact. xrulesx

I did not say that. You obviously misread my post.

MplsBison
January 30th, 2009, 10:58 AM

You misread my post.

I did not say that fans of other schools will increase in attendance.

MplsBison
January 30th, 2009, 11:00 AM
How is this any different than pulling your kid out of school on a Thursday and Friday in December. One day extra of absence for the kid?

The people who go to the game already (on its current date) are either doing this or leaving their kids behind (or do not have them). The fans who currently attend will continue to attend.

Moving the date assures that I will be there if my team, or heck a team from my conference is playing in the game. So you might pick up a few people like me along the way. Still no "drastic Decline" in attendance. The big factor is to find a venue where the locals will by 5-8,000 tix year end and year out. That is the challenge and the only real argument surrounding the moving of the game.

Also I would think that being the only game on the night before the NC BcS game would increase exposure of the city and of FCS football. That is all on how it is marketed.

And moving to a football hungry city like Houston you could guarantee 10-15k locals who will come out for the game.

89Hen
January 30th, 2009, 11:03 AM

THere you go 89 and 72, you guys don't have a clue. (hey it rhymes!)
I will wait to see bk's answer to my question. My guess is a "no" response.

MplsBison
January 30th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I will wait to see bk's answer to my question. My guess is a "no" response.

I would think that's correct.

My opinion is that by moving to destination city will give fans of the schools in the championship game a better excuse to go to the game.

813Jag
January 30th, 2009, 11:10 AM
And moving to a football hungry city like Houston you could guarantee 10-15k locals who will come out for the game.
do those 10-15K support the 3 football playing schools in Houston?

89Hen
January 30th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Speak for yourself.

Simple reality.

My opinion is that by moving to destination city will give fans of the schools in the championship game a better excuse to go to the game.
That's not what I was going on then. I thought you were in the camp of those that are saying I-AA fans in general would attended the game even if their team wasn't in it. There were two instances when that could have easily been inferred including the first time you questioned me in this thread for saying general fans will not go to the game in numbers no matter where it is.

Just so we're clear then... your contention is that moving it to a place like Orlando will result in greater numbers of fans of the teams IN the game... not that more I-AA fans in general will come?

MplsBison
January 30th, 2009, 11:25 AM
do those 10-15K support the 3 football playing schools in Houston?

Houston and Rice aren't too bad but TSoU is a joke.

MplsBison
January 30th, 2009, 11:27 AM
That's not what I was going on then. I thought you were in the camp of those that are saying I-AA fans in general would attended the game even if their team wasn't in it. There were two instances when that could have easily been inferred including the first time you questioned me in this thread for saying general fans will not go to the game in numbers no matter where it is.

Just so we're clear then... your contention is that moving it to a place like Orlando will result in greater numbers of fans of the teams IN the game... not that more I-AA fans in general will come?

I think potentially both could see an increase, but I only contend that more fans of the teams in the game will show up for sure.

89Hen
January 30th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I think potentially both could see an increase, but I only contend that more fans of the teams in the game will show up for sure.
OK, I can live with that theory, but it still is a theory and not fact. Many people drive to Chatty (that's a fact). IMO the expense of flying will keep more fans from coming, than will be enticed by a destination (that's a theory). xsmiley_wix

There are a lot of people here that do think a change to Orlando or Vegas would mean a lot more people going who's teams aren't in the game.

89Hen
January 30th, 2009, 12:02 PM
BTW, your Houston comment may be close to reality. Locals bought 25,000+ tix for the Houston Bowl this year. xthumbsupx However, the question then becomes, does that dry up a lot of potential buyers of our game? xeyebrowx

bluehenbillk
January 30th, 2009, 12:32 PM
89, of course, the only time I'd ever goto a 1-AA or FCS NC game unless Newark or Philly were hosting the game, would be to see my Blue Hens. And the whole family would be in tow.

813Jag
January 30th, 2009, 12:34 PM
BTW, your Houston comment may be close to reality. Locals bought 25,000+ tix for the Houston Bowl this year. xthumbsupx However, the question then becomes, does that dry up a lot of potential buyers of our game? xeyebrowx
the key question is would they support FCS? in large cities FCS doesn't get much coverage and I know the coverage isn't that good in Houston. that would determine local support.

henfan
January 30th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Locals bought 25,000+ tix for the Houston Bowl this year.

Locals? You mean non-Rice fans? Wonder how many 'locals' would turn up if two city schools (Houston or Rice) weren't participating in the Texas Bowl?

MplsBison
January 30th, 2009, 12:52 PM
OK, I can live with that theory, but it still is a theory and not fact. Many people drive to Chatty (that's a fact). IMO the expense of flying will keep more fans from coming, than will be enticed by a destination (that's a theory). xsmiley_wix

There are a lot of people here that do think a change to Orlando or Vegas would mean a lot more people going who's teams aren't in the game.

Many people drive to Chatty...if it's ASU fans coming to watch ASU play.

Not that the game should be moved soley for the sake of non-eastern time zone FCS teams, but the majority of teams fans would have to fly anyway.

MplsBison
January 30th, 2009, 12:54 PM
the key question is would they support FCS? in large cities FCS doesn't get much coverage and I know the coverage isn't that good in Houston. that would determine local support.

Given TSoU, that's not a fair assessment.

I would say the FCS title game would get coverage between the Texans and CUSA.

89Hen
January 30th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Locals? You mean non-Rice fans? Wonder how many 'locals' would turn up if two city schools (Houston or Rice) weren't participating in the Texas Bowl?
FWIW, the 25,000 was a week prior the teams were announced. xpeacex

89Hen
January 30th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Many people drive to Chatty...if it's ASU fans coming to watch ASU play.

Not that the game should be moved soley for the sake of non-eastern time zone FCS teams, but the majority of teams fans would have to fly anyway.
Not true. I know tons of Delaware fans drove down in 2003 and 2007. JMU, Richmond, Furman, GSU, AppSt, Wofford, EKU.... MANY of the recent playoff teams would drive. That's kinda what's important about keeping it where you have the best chance of having people drive. When you move it to Orlando or Houston, many more would have to fly.

GannonFan
January 30th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Not true. I know tons of Delaware fans drove down in 2003 and 2007. JMU, Richmond, Furman, GSU, AppSt, Wofford, EKU.... MANY of the recent playoff teams would drive. That's kinda what's important about keeping it where you have the best chance of having people drive. When you move it to Orlando or Houston, many more would have to fly.

That's certainly a reason to keep it in Chatty - it's pretty much as central as you can get to the majority of the fans. Now, not all UD fans drove (I didn't - couldn't convince the wife that a 12 hour car ride, one way, was worth it, but we do live more than an hour north of Newark so we're not typical UD fans), but it was an option. It's certainly realistic for anyone south of PA and is very convenient for the SoCon teams, OVC teams, MEAC teams, the Big South teams, and some Southland teams. That's a plus in Chatty's favor, for sure.

89Hen
January 30th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Now, not all UD fans drove (I didn't - couldn't convince the wife that a 12 hour car ride, one way, was worth it, but we do live more than an hour north of Newark so we're not typical UD fans), but it was an option.
I hope I didn't imply all or even most did, but a lot did. I flew too, but it was my choice. :)

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 30th, 2009, 01:58 PM

Since you questioned my integrity ;), I've been doing some research. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the articles I read years ago that spoke of how the Frozen Four tickets were allocated. So, I asked a question out on the hockey forum. I got these responses:

Exact allocations vary by arena size, but a rough idea is about 3,000 tickets going to the participating four schools (750 per school), a few thousand to the host school/host organization, a few thousand to the NCAA for members and sponsors, and the rest are publically distributed by the ticket lottery.

And the ticket lottery usually distributes about 50% of the total seats.

Note that the numbers mentioned so far relate to NHL-sized buildings. When the tournament goes to Ford Field, we're in uncharted waters -- to say the least.

This was in line with what I recalled reading. Maybe we have a different view on reliance, but to me a few thousand out of 18-21K people isn't as significant as the folks that buy tickets via the lottery. The demand for those lottery tickets is what has moved the Frozen Four from very popular venues like Providence, RI because their arena is now too small.

BTW, in noway did my not relying comment have anything to do with the people who will volunteer and work at the Verizon Arena in DC.

89Hen
January 30th, 2009, 02:06 PM
This was in line with what I recalled reading. Maybe we have a different view on reliance, but to me a few thousand out of 18-21K people isn't as significant as the folks that buy tickets via the lottery.
Good grief, that was like a month ago in bulletin board time. :p What is the "lottery"? Like I said, I know a lot of local associations received tickets.... are they part of the "few thousand" or part of the 50%?

813Jag
January 30th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Given TSoU, that's not a fair assessment.

I would say the FCS title game would get coverage between the Texans and CUSA.
So you're saying it would be next to nonexsistent?

Have you ever seen the sports section of the Chronicle? How much time have you spent in Houston during football season? I'm sure I'm there more than you are. (Since my school has played there every year since I was born and I went to all of those games. And also having family and friends in the area.)

MplsBison
January 30th, 2009, 02:48 PM

Driving in the mountains in January?

Don't think so.

BDKJMU
January 30th, 2009, 02:48 PM

Bulllllllllsh********t.

2010 game is Jan 7, not the 6th.

2007' Jan 8th
2008 Jan 7th
2009 Jan 8th
2010 Jan 7th
2011 ?

Seems like the game is always going to be on Jan 7th or 8th.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BCS_National_Championship_Game

89Hen
January 30th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Driving in the mountains in January?

Don't think so.
xlolx Now I know you're messing with me..... right? xeyebrowx

MplsBison
January 30th, 2009, 02:49 PM
2010 game is Jan 7, not the 6th.

2007' Jan 8th
2008 Jan 7th
2009 Jan 8th
2010 Jan 7th
2011 ?

Seems like the game is always going to be on Jan 7th or 8th.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BCS_National_Championship_Game

The FCS title game is the day before.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 30th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Good grief, that was like a month ago in bulletin board time. :p What is the "lottery"? Like I said, I know a lot of local associations received tickets.... are they part of the "few thousand" or part of the 50%?

Sorry I couldn't complete the research instantaneously!! And you wouldn't take the word of a person from a hockey school. :p xpeacex

I believe the local associations are part of the "few thousand". The lottery is just like what NCAA Basketball's Final Four has because the demand for the tickets far exceeds the available seats. After the seats for the NCAA, the participants and the local sponsors are assigned, the remaining go to the public. You have to send in a check almost a year in advance to be entered into a lottery. If you get chosen in the lottery, you get tickets; otherwise, you get a refund.

BDKJMU
January 30th, 2009, 03:02 PM
My bad- someone on here had said something about the FCS title game being on the 5th. Seems as if the BCS will always be on the 7th or 8th, and the FCS will always been on the 6th or 7th.

1st year of the Jan FCS title game, the 2010 season, Jan 2011:
Thur, Jan 6th: FCS title game?
Fri, Jan 7th: BSC title game or FCS title game?
Sat, Jan 8th: BCS tittle game?

So for the 1st season of the FCS NC game in Jan the whole midweek arguement appears to be moot.

89Hen
January 30th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I believe the local associations are part of the "few thousand". The lottery is just like what NCAA Basketball's Final Four has because the demand for the tickets far exceeds the available seats. After the seats for the NCAA, the participants and the local sponsors are assigned, the remaining go to the public. You have to send in a check almost a year in advance to be entered into a lottery. If you get chosen in the lottery, you get tickets; otherwise, you get a refund.
I wonder how you could figure out how many of the lottery seats go to locals though. xeyebrowx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 30th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I wonder how you could figure out how many of the lottery seats go to locals though. xeyebrowx

AFAIK, there is no preference given to locals in the lottery. The 50% lottery for the DC FF was held last June or thereabouts. You get points for each Frozen Four you attend, that's the only preference that I know about within the lottery. If they're funneling tickets to locals within that lottery it is a clandestine effort; otherwise, I would see screaming on the hockey forum.

GannonFan
January 30th, 2009, 03:48 PM
My bad- someone on here had said something about the FCS title game being on the 5th. Seems as if the BCS will always be on the 7th or 8th, and the FCS will always been on the 6th or 7th.

1st year of the Jan FCS title game, the 2010 season, Jan 2011:
Thur, Jan 6th: FCS title game?
Fri, Jan 7th: BSC title game or FCS title game?
Sat, Jan 8th: BCS tittle game?

So for the 1st season of the FCS NC game in Jan the whole midweek arguement appears to be moot.

I don't think it will always be on those days. Remember, the NFL playoffs typically start that first weekend in January (after a full week). If the NFL playoffs would start on Saturday, January 8th, there's no way the BCS would play the title game then. And I don't see them playing the BCS title game on a Friday night either, that's a terrible TV night. Have they played on a Friday night since they started the BCS?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 30th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Remember that I brought up the Frozen Four and Lacrosse as examples that things could be done to make the FCS Championship in Chattanooga more attractive to fans -- casual, local and from participating schools.

We all have different financial threshold levels for events. I have to see a reasonable value to expenses when I decide to attend the UNH FBS game. For example, going to Chicago for Northwestern was less expensive and more attractive than going to Muncie. I'm working on my financial threshold for that trip.

If UNH plays in Chatty, I'm there even if I have to go into hock. I mean I drove to SIU and UNI for early round playoff games. :p I recognize that I'm not the norm when it comes to fans. When I think about our championship game, I think about some of my friends making that value to expenses evaluation that I do for our FBS game. Some of them will go if UNH plays, even if they leave their family home. The more value they can get for the expense, the easier sell they have at home. Not to get into that thread on the Lounge about "female logic", but saying you're attending multiple events on your trip will help get approval and/or help justify the cost.

For me, if UNH doesn't participate, having an all star game along with some other events helps to raise the value portion of the equation. It won't attract folks who have said they'd never attend unless their school played. But I venture to say, there are significant folks out there who could be enticed with a more robust event. Traveling for basically a one day event isn't a lot of incentive for a non-participant or any FCS person with significant travel. The greater the travel, the more robust the event needs to be. If I lived a few hours drive away, I would be there every year. But I live two days drive away (assuming a solo trip). I'm not making the trip without more events and something else to tie into the trip like flying into Nashville and staying there a couple of days or visiting friends/family somewhere along the way if I drove.

89Hen
January 30th, 2009, 04:30 PM
What other events do they have at the LAX Final Four other than the LAX games?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 30th, 2009, 04:40 PM
What other events do they have at the LAX Final Four other than the LAX games?

Three days of event compared to one day for FCS Championship. D-I semi-finals, then the next day the D-II and D-III finals, then the D-I championship. Just using the multiple day theory which FCS can only match with other events (all star game, D-II and D-III championships, other, etc.). My theory is that multiple days helps justify the cost.

89Hen
January 30th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Three days of event compared to one day for FCS Championship. D-I semi-finals, then the next day the D-II and D-III finals, then the D-I championship. Just using the multiple day theory which FCS can only match with other events (all star game, D-II and D-III championships, other, etc.). My theory is that multiple days helps justify the cost.
Only thing that could make it that would be an all-star game (with nobody from the two best teams in the country) and a band competition. Both kinda yawners for me. I don't think there any way you get neutral fans to come out Jan 4-6th no matter where it is.

danefan
January 31st, 2009, 08:12 AM
Only thing that could make it that would be an all-star game (with nobody from the two best teams in the country) and a band competition. Both kinda yawners for me. I don't think there any way you get neutral fans to come out Jan 4-6th no matter where it is.

There is also a fan festival and youth clinic.

http://lax2009.kraftsportsgroup.com/index.html

My understanding is that the entire even is well-subsidized by corporate sponsors. Which makes sense when you have 40,000+ spectators.

henfan
January 31st, 2009, 01:33 PM
Of course, the FCS Championship has also had a fan fest for the last several years.

Syntax Error
January 31st, 2009, 01:39 PM
Three days of event compared to one day for FCS Championship. D-I semi-finals, then the next day the D-II and D-III finals, then the D-I championship. Just using the multiple day theory which FCS can only match with other events (all star game, D-II and D-III championships, other, etc.). My theory is that multiple days helps justify the cost.What provides the fans and money is EIGHT TEAMS playing in FIVE GAMES and their fans attending.
Of course, the FCS Championship has also had a fan fest for the last several years.Yes, the D-I Football Championship is a two day event with a fanfest, parade, and open stadium with those parachuters on Thursday and the entire gameday on Friday.