PDA

View Full Version : Rhody gets 4 FBS transfers from Rutgers

Brad82
January 21st, 2009, 09:06 PM
http://gorhody.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/012109aaa.html

Last year we had 3 FBS transfers-did zilch.
Always looks good on paper though.

Tribe4SF
January 21st, 2009, 09:52 PM
Rizzi describes this as "a big step forward" for the program. Puts the pressure on these four to deliver immediately.

nms1987
January 22nd, 2009, 01:23 AM
I don't know where you're seeing the 3 transfers from last year. The only transfer I can find on URIs roster (not counting prep schools) was a guy from Iowa. But he wasn't even a scholarship player at Iowa. He was a walk-on QB/WR and I can't even find evidence of him being on scholly on Rhody. Its hardly a big deal when a walk-on doesn't play.

These guys transferring now are BCS caliber athletes who were recruited by national powers out of HS and are now going to be playing vs. FCS competition.
Thats a big difference than a TE who once walked on at Iowa.

Brad82
January 22nd, 2009, 06:18 AM
NMS-let me help you get your facts straight-one DE from Rutgers (off team by summer camp)
WR from Maryland-did zilch all season. QB from Iowa. As released to press as FBS transfers. Not my job to investigate their scholly status @ prior school,URI SID's office responsiblity.

Cobblestone
January 22nd, 2009, 07:22 AM
I hope they work out, in fact I posted the link in another thread. BUT, I never get too excited over transfers from I-A (FBS) schools. From what I've seen in the past there usually is a reason why they are transfers. I could go on and on with names that disappointed me but it would take too many keystrokes.

Since I'm negative by nature I usally enjoy being wrong. I hope this is one of those instances.

crusader11
January 22nd, 2009, 02:31 PM
This makes sense considering URI's coach used to be at Rutgers.

Ivytalk
January 22nd, 2009, 02:35 PM
Must've been all those hot women in Kingston!xrotatehx

PapaBear
January 22nd, 2009, 02:50 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Nope, they were both at the beach last weekend.

(OK, I can hear the "Maine women" jokes already. I got news for you. That school has some serious booty. Spend a weekend there sometime. Amazing.)

Cobblestone
January 22nd, 2009, 06:43 PM

Take a ride down the street from Kingston to Narragansett when it gets towards the end of Spring semester. xsmiley_wix

MplsBison
January 22nd, 2009, 07:36 PM
I was surprised to learn that URI was voted a top party school by some online thing, I forget.

Must be all the mob in Providence.

Bos8
January 23rd, 2009, 06:11 AM
Should be an interesting QB battle this spring. We have Stekovic who has shown flashes, but hasn't put it all together yet. He was suppose to split time with Cassidy last year, but never happened. Throw this new kid into the mix and a couple of last years recruits as well. The QB transfer looks like he would almost fit into Stowers system with that quality 40 time.
All this doesn't mean a thing if we don't have the O line to block for them. Last season that was our biggest problem was protecting the QB. We have plenty of talent at the skilled positions with Johnson-Farrell and some transfers at WR, Lawrence and Casey at RB, and talent at QB.
Our defense looked much improved last year, but still has a way to go. Hansen really stepped it up last year, hopefully our secondary continues to improve.

Cobblestone
January 23rd, 2009, 07:34 AM
Should be an interesting QB battle this spring. We have Stekovic who has shown flashes, but hasn't put it all together yet. He was suppose to split time with Cassidy last year, but never happened. Throw this new kid into the mix and a couple of last years recruits as well. The QB transfer looks like he would almost fit into Stowers system with that quality 40 time.
All this doesn't mean a thing if we don't have the O line to block for them. Last season that was our biggest problem was protecting the QB. We have plenty of talent at the skilled positions with Johnson-Farrell and some transfers at WR, Lawrence and Casey at RB, and talent at QB.
Our defense looked much improved last year, but still has a way to go. Hansen really stepped it up last year, hopefully our secondary continues to improve.

xmadx

Then bench his @$$! We need the stench of Stowers to dissipate. I don't want to see anything that even reminds me of that d!cked up offense.

Stefkovich has a strong arm and has been around a while, so I would expect him to be the leading candidate for the QB position. Johnson-Farrell was impressive last season at WR. Because Stefkovich has a stronger arm than Cassidy did, I could see those two hooking up next season and putting up some decent passing yardage.

Hopefully Casey will be 100% when he comes back this season. If he is then we could have a nice balanced attack on offense. I'd also like to get a look at Lucarini at the QB position. He put up some impressive numbers in high school and from what I understand was fairly well recruited by some other CAA schools.

Defense did improve but it was so bad in the past that it had nowhere to go but up. I like Hansen who seems to have a natural nose for the ball. In the backfield I like Glenn but I don't think we have much else back there besides him. I'm hoping Rizzi comes in with a good number of DB's this recruiting season. Our defense remains an issue.

PapaBear
January 23rd, 2009, 08:21 AM
Nice to see/hear you Rhodies talking about your program with enthusiasm and optimism:)

Look forward to a competitive game up in Orono this year. You owe us a good battle after the beatdowns we've given you for the past two years.xrolleyesx

If the Schedule thread is accurate, we play on 11/14. That probably means a noon kickoff. Nice, crisp Fall day in Central Maine. Bring ur skivvies if you expect to tailgate:D

Dawg2Rhody
January 23rd, 2009, 09:47 AM
The focus has been on the defensive backfield with the recruits they have been brining in so far. Another batch is due in this weekend we will see what happens. xpeacex

It won't hurt at all to get Weedon back to put some pressure on the QB. Not having a pass rush did not help our weakness in the backfield at all.

Bos8
January 23rd, 2009, 11:30 AM
I was wondering about Weedon. He was a former WVU commit but didnt have the grades so he went Juco. He seemed to finally be getting into a groove when he got hurt. I thought he was hurt too late in the season to red shirt and return this season. He started as a line backer, but was looking good at DE.
I hope Ty Bynum has a good year too. He was very highly touted coming out of HS, and should hopefully be an impact player. Glenn was originally a QB recruit from Stowers, but transitioned nicely into the Defensive back field.

Brad82
January 23rd, 2009, 03:49 PM
Cobble/Bos-who is Rhody recruiting for RI kids?

Bos8
January 23rd, 2009, 08:35 PM
They are going after a receiver in the class of 09 from Westerly.

Dawg2Rhody
January 24th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Weedon hurt his elbow in the Monmouth game. He should get his medical rs. Scout lists WR Mike Portunato from Westerly as a Rhody target.

Bos8
January 27th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Yea, from what I am hearing, Weedon will be back.

Dawg2Rhody
January 27th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Saw that another wr committed. Trevor Turner from Ft Meade 6'3 195. Seems that the WR position is well stocked now. I hope there is some focus on the o-line and d-backfield now.

Bos8
January 27th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Also got another Baltimore commit in Ellis Foster. He played Qb in HS but look for him to change positions.

Cobblestone
January 27th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Also got another Baltimore commit in Ellis Foster. He played Qb in HS but look for him to change positions.

gained 1,772 total yards and scored 18 touchdowns

Sounds like some good numbers but we don't need a running QB. We need a passer. With this kid's size of 5'10 185 lbs I personally would like to see him play RB. I'm thinking he could be a good outside rusher which would compliment Casey very well.

WR does appear to be well stocked right now. With the arm Stefkovich has I'd like to see him get the nod, depending of course how he does this spring.

All this offense is nice but I'm waiting to see what we can get on defense.
In particular the secondary but we also need a big pass rusher. Last season the opposing QB's had much too much time to throw which caused the coverage to eventually break down. We need some big DL's up front to really pressure the QB.

Brad82
January 27th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Chrupcala from Barrington is late URI FB great Greg Sturgis's nephew.

Cobblestone
January 28th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Chrupcala from Barrington is late URI FB great Greg Sturgis's nephew.

I didn't know Greg Sturgis died. When did that happen?

Brad82
January 28th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Sturge died in 2005.

Dawg2Rhody
January 28th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Brian Eatman - Ath Hudson Catholic in New Jersey commited. Expect he will play db. Has good size 6-1 190. Played db and qb at Hudson.

http://www.maxpreps.com/FanPages/MaxPrepsTV.mxp/VideoID-08b3b244-3e74-43c9-997a-7a14945468dc

Cobblestone
January 28th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Brian Eatman - Ath Hudson Catholic in New Jersey commited. Expect he will play db. Has good size 6-1 190. Played db and qb at Hudson.

http://www.maxpreps.com/FanPages/MaxPrepsTV.mxp/VideoID-08b3b244-3e74-43c9-997a-7a14945468dc

Good clip. That was a nice INT and an even better return.

He should be a welcomed addition to the secondary.

Cobblestone
January 29th, 2009, 12:33 PM
absolutilyxthumbsupx

bdfan, come back when you learn how to spell. We are discussing URI football recruits in this thread. The rest of us here have something higher than a 12th grade education.

Cobblestone
January 29th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Back to reality...

I'm glad to see a defensive back in this group that Rizzi signed. I hope Rob Cervini is able to contribute right away in the secondary. I see that and the D-Line as the two places where we need the most help.