PDA

View Full Version : Shoop Out At Columbia

DFW HOYA
November 20th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Less than 24 hours after season's end.

http://gocolumbialions.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112005aab.html

Umass74
November 20th, 2005, 02:02 PM
The first person they should call:

Tom Mesalla (http://ccsubluedevils.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/masella_tom00.html)

Northeast guy. Great Coach.

LBPop
November 20th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Met him on the recruiting trail a couple of years ago. He seemed like a very nice and straight shooting guy, but also a bit naive and over his head at the level he was asked to perform. He'll be an excellent assistant for someone and hopefully get another shot as head coach.

YaleFootballFan
November 20th, 2005, 06:08 PM
I remember Shoop from his playing days at Yale. Who can forget the miraculous comeback against Penn in '87 where Shoop's last-second TD reception gave Yale a 28-22 victory. Before this past Saturday, that was the most exciting game I've ever seen at Yale Bowl.

Sad to see him go at Columbia. I think a lot of people saw this coming, especially after the horrible season the Lions had....

Ivytalk
November 20th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Pretty quick on the trigger, Columbia, if you ask me. Will Siedlecki be next? :rolleyes:

bulldog10jw
November 20th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Pretty quick on the trigger, Columbia, if you ask me. Will Siedlecki be next? :rolleyes:

Latest I have heard is that the Yale coaching staff has already been informed that they will be back and the players have been told the same. Of course, I'm 2500 miles away and I'm relying on a lot of a "friend heard from a friend who talked to a players roommate who was sworn to secrecy but got drunk........etc.

Ivytalk
November 20th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Latest I have heard is that the Yale coaching staff has already been informed that they will be back and the players have been told the same. Of course, I'm 2500 miles away and I'm relying on a lot of a "friend heard from a friend who talked to a players roommate who was sworn to secrecy but got drunk........etc.

I hope that's true. Firing Jack because he lost a close game that could've gone either way seems way harsh.

bulldog10jw
November 20th, 2005, 09:21 PM
sorry...duplicate

YaleFootballFan
November 20th, 2005, 09:59 PM

I hope that's true. It would be unfair to Siedlecki to fire him at this point. Give him and his staff at least one more season and then make the decision.

Husky Alum
November 22nd, 2005, 07:59 AM
I hope Bob Shoop lands on his feet. He's a solid citizen and was a gentleman when he coached at Northeastern. Heck, the way our defense has been playing we should be reaching out to him.

I remember the Penn game in 1987 as it was the weekend I made my official recruiting trip to Yale and Bob was my host. He was great to me and didn't really try to sell me on the school. He knew I was from the area and did his best to convince me that going to college 10 minutes from my parents wasn't the worst thing in the world. Obviously I didn't go there, but when he was hired at Northeastern he saw me and said "how the HELL did you wind up here?"

He was also a very good pitcher on the Yale baseball team. My HS history teacher was an assistant baseball coach at Yale at the time and he told me that Shoop was one of the best all around athletes that Yale had in about 20 years.

My dad is in the media in New Haven and he heard that Siedlecki is safe.