PDA

View Full Version : 3 from 1 conference will not host

GSU Eagle
November 20th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Today it has been made pretty clear that 3 teams from 1 conference will not host. I was surprised that GSU was sent on the road to Texas St.

You knew App. St. was going to get a seed and host. I believe GSU outbid Furman but Furman got the home game.

The committee may not admit it but they just did not want to give 3 host sites to the same conference.

So be it-- we now are probably looking at the same road JMU took last year-- win 3 in a row on the road to get to Chatty. The odds against doing that are very high but that is why we play the game.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 20th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Didn't all three of us host in '01, the first year they did this stupid regional crap?

Anyways, even if it is true, why should we not get to host when Eastern Illinois does?

Purple Knight
November 20th, 2005, 01:44 PM
If anybody can do it, you guys can. BOL

Cincy App
November 20th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Anyways, even if it is true, why should we not get to host when Eastern Illinois does?

Eastern Illinois is hosting because the committee followed regionalization and elected to have schools in very close proximity play each other. Hence, Hampton vs. Richmond and EIU vs. SIU. Apparently, EIU had a stronger bid than SIU to host. No other schools from different conferences are as close as these teams.

Ultimately, I think the thread topic is correct. It must be an unwritten rule that 3 teams from the same conference will not host 1st round games. It put JMU on the road last year where they happened to excel. I'm not surprised that only 2 SoCon teams are hosting but I admit that I expected Furman to hit the road due to attendance before GSU would. Good luck - let's meet in 'Nooga!

elroy508
November 20th, 2005, 01:54 PM
How does that work out? Furmans loses to GSU... Furman hosts 1st round @ home, and GSU has a 1700 mile road trip? :confused:

youwouldno
November 20th, 2005, 02:01 PM
I-AA losses:

App St.- 1

Furman- 2

GSU- 3

Ronbo
November 20th, 2005, 02:05 PM
You GSU guys just worry about knocking off Tx. St. and we'll worry about Cal Poly. If we can both pull it off you guys can come to Wash/Griz and we'll be on ESPN. It will be sweet! Let's get her done boys!

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 20th, 2005, 02:07 PM
You GSU guys just worry about knocking off Tx. St. and we'll worry about Cal Poly. If we can both pull it off you guys can come to Wash/Griz and we'll be on ESPN. It will be sweet! Let's get her done boys!

Are you sure that game would be played at Washington-Grizzly?

GaSouthern
November 20th, 2005, 02:08 PM
I hope so, I just hope we win and you dont. I really dont wanna fly that far out, its scary from everything I know about that place.

gsugt1
November 20th, 2005, 02:12 PM

I heard our 2nd round bid was real high :)

pete4256
November 20th, 2005, 02:47 PM
So be it-- we now are probably looking at the same road JMU took last year-- win 3 in a row on the road to get to Chatty. The odds against doing that are very high but that is why we play the game.

Last year, JMU had to play at Hampton, at Furman, and at William & Mary.

If GSU wins and all the favorites on that side of the bracket win, we'll be looking at playing @Texas State, @Montana, and @New Hampshire.

That's quite a bit different from JMU's slate last year.

Ronbo
November 20th, 2005, 02:51 PM

I doubt anyone outbids us. :D

Ronbo
November 20th, 2005, 02:52 PM
I heard our 2nd round bid was real high :)

I think we bid $250,000 for 2nd rounders. :D

matfu
November 20th, 2005, 09:10 PM
on the 1aa show today, the head of the selection committee said that if you had 3 teams from one conference hosting games, you would really have to justify it. so, yes he essentially said it is an unwritten rule. interesting for the future.

Eaglegus2
November 20th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Is this Cock Roaches last year as head of The Committee?

Sure hope so!

If this is regionalization..........I will be on the next flight from Cape Kennedy to the moon.

eaglesrthe1
November 21st, 2005, 01:39 AM
Didn't all three of us host in '01, the first year they did this stupid regional crap?

Basically EIU is hosting, because they are playing someone from across the state. You need to forget about them, they aren't even in the same half of the draw. The team that needs to be looked at when deciding if GSU should host or not is UNI.

Texas St and New Hampshire are seeded, so they will host, that is a given. So who will travel to Texas St, according to the rules? The closest team. GSU and UNI are pretty much equal in distance from San Marcos, appr. 1100 miles. EWU and Cal Poly are much further out. Apparently UNI outbided GSU, or the committee looked at the dismal (even by Thanksgiving standards) attendance that GSU has put up in the last several 1st round games that they have hosted.

So, in short...blame the AD for not putting up the cash...or blame the fans for not putting their butts in the seats. But don't blame the committee.

For reference:

GAME 1: (1) New Hampshire vs Colgate
GAME 2: Northern Iowa vs Eastern Washington

GAME 3: Montana vs Cal Poly
GAME 4: (4) Texas State vs Georgia Southern

GAME 5: (3) Hampton vs Richmond
GAME 6: Furman vs Nicholls State

GAME 7: Eastern Illinois vs Southern Illinois
GAME 8: (2) Appalachian State vs Lafayette

So unless you prescribe to the theory that Texas St got seeded just to screw GSU over, then the committee did it by the rules.

Eagle22
November 21st, 2005, 03:06 AM
Basically EIU is hosting, because they are playing someone from across the state. You need to forget about them, they aren't even in the same half of the draw. The team that needs to be looked at when deciding if GSU should host or not is UNI.

Texas St and New Hampshire are seeded, so they will host, that is a given. So who will travel to Texas St, according to the rules? The closest team. GSU and UNI are pretty much equal in distance from San Marcos, appr. 1100 miles. EWU and Cal Poly are much further out. Apparently UNI outbided GSU, or the committee looked at the dismal (even by Thanksgiving standards) attendance that GSU has put up in the last several 1st round games that they have hosted.

So, in short...blame the AD for not putting up the cash...or blame the fans for not putting their butts in the seats. But don't blame the committee.

For reference:

GAME 1: (1) New Hampshire vs Colgate
GAME 2: Northern Iowa vs Eastern Washington

GAME 3: Montana vs Cal Poly
GAME 4: (4) Texas State vs Georgia Southern

GAME 5: (3) Hampton vs Richmond
GAME 6: Furman vs Nicholls State

GAME 7: Eastern Illinois vs Southern Illinois
GAME 8: (2) Appalachian State vs Lafayette

So unless you prescribe to the theory that Texas St got seeded just to screw GSU over, then the committee did it by the rules.

That theory sounds possible if you work off the premise that the committee breaks it down into brackets first, then assigns home games to the remaining four teams after seeds are assigned, assuming their bids have met the minimum requirement. Is that the way it happens ? I don't know.

Frankly though, I can't see them working out brackets THEN assigning the home teams. It would make much more sense to:

1) Assign the four seeds a home game (obviously)
2) Assign the remaining four home games based on bid, attendance, rankings,records, GPI, etc.
3) Fill the brackets with the remaining 8 teams based on geographic proximity, rankings,non-conference affiliation

We've heard a lot about the impact of bids, so I'm thinking if that's the case then EIU must have ponied up some serious $$$ to attract the home game. I don't think they did it based on ranking or geographic ease, but instead to prevent the SoCon from having three 1st round home games.

The UNI/EWU matchup could easily be swapped with the EIU/SIU matchup in the lower part of the bracket. Three of those teams are in the midwest, and EWU is flying anywhere they play most likely.

I still think looking at the field and host institutions, that EIU was the last team selected to be a host and from that point the matchups were put into the brackets.

bandl
November 21st, 2005, 07:28 AM

If GSU wins and all the favorites on that side of the bracket win, we'll be looking at playing @Texas State, @Montana, and @New Hampshire.

Sorry, we didn't play at Hampton last year, this year is their first year hosting. We played at Lehigh, at Furman, at Mary & Bill, then Chatty.

Tribe4SF
November 21st, 2005, 07:36 AM
The committee was pretty clear last year that three teams from the same conference would not host. That's why JMU had to play at Lehigh.

bandl
November 21st, 2005, 07:40 AM
The committee was pretty clear last year that three teams from the same conference would not host. That's why JMU had to play at Lehigh.

Good point. I never even thought of that. I never could figure out why a higher ranked/better record team (JMU) had to travel to Lehigh for the opening round. Makes sense now!

89Hen
November 21st, 2005, 08:21 AM
I actually called it that the SoCon would not have all three host, but it was also pointed out that it had in fact happened before. So we're both right. :p

SuperEagle
November 21st, 2005, 08:38 AM
Why should they have that rule? Who cares how many teams host from the same conference if they are deserving? It's a hard pill for me to swallow that the #6 team in the GPI is travelling on the road and to face a seeded team in the first round at that.
I don't want to hear that how you finished the season (GSU 7-1, winning 4 straight including beating the #1 team in the country), or the GPI weighs heavily into who goes where. Obviously that is not true. The committee seemed to ignore everything they say factors into this.
My 18 month old is probably smarter than half the committee members.

GannonFan
November 21st, 2005, 08:45 AM
I doubt anyone outbids us. :D

I can't imagine anyone outbids Montana - even UD would have to travel to Montana in a matchup of two non-seeds (in a year UD makes the playoffs of course).

89Hen
November 21st, 2005, 08:46 AM
I was just as bitter in 2003. I completely empathize Eagle fans.

pete4256
November 21st, 2005, 08:51 AM
Sorry, we didn't play at Hampton last year, this year is their first year hosting. We played at Lehigh, at Furman, at Mary & Bill, then Chatty.

Sorry, my mistake.

bandl
November 21st, 2005, 08:55 AM

Don't send your kid to the Ivy's...he won't get a chance to play in the I-AA playoffs!!! :p

SoCon48
November 21st, 2005, 10:15 AM

'01 ASU went to Troy State, WKU, and Montana.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 21st, 2005, 10:50 AM
Why should they have that rule? Who cares how many teams host from the same conference if they are deserving? It's a hard pill for me to swallow that the #6 team in the GPI is travelling on the road and to face a seeded team in the first round at that.
I don't want to hear that how you finished the season (GSU 7-1, winning 4 straight including beating the #1 team in the country), or the GPI weighs heavily into who goes where. Obviously that is not true. The committee seemed to ignore everything they say factors into this.

Same deal last year when UNH was sent to Statesboro. And the prior season when SIU was sent to Delaware (did I remember the correct school sent to Henville??). Seems to happen all the time. Not just in football either, see it in the Ice Hockey Tournament as well.

blur2005
November 21st, 2005, 12:05 PM

We didn't play Hampton, that was William & Mary. We played a decent Lehigh team.

I don't really see a huge difference there. Furman was as good as anyone last year, as was William & Mary. JMU faced two seeded opponents on the road, Georgia Southern would have to face two seeded opponents. But somehow, I have to think that Georgia Southern might get a home game if someone falls among your possible opponents.