PDA

View Full Version : Still no respect from ESPN for the FCS

LehighFan11
January 19th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Colin Cowherd on his show today when discussing Tim Hightower he said "they got him out of the 5th round out of RICHMOND, i wasn't sure they even had a football program." Doesn't ESPN realize that some great players come from the FCS? I guess not. I love Cowherd by the way. He isn't afraid to go out on a limb and make fun of a team or player, so this isn't surprising.

JMU DJ
January 19th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Yeah, not to mention he's been trashing Arizona all year... probably trying to save some sort of face now. Perhaps he's overlooking the Warner FCS connection also... I didn't know UNI had a football team either xlolx

AppStateSVX
January 19th, 2009, 11:41 AM
ouch. that's kinda harsh for the Champs

griz8791
January 19th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I know this isn't necessarily on point with the ESPN question, but did anybody else see Sidbury in the Shrine Game? They had the game on in the restaurant where I ate lunch on Saturday but had the TV on mute. First I saw the helmet logo (which can't possibly be confused with any other FBS or FCS program), then the camera stayed on him for a long time while they put up a ton of stats on him. Though there wasn't any audio, I assume there must have been extensive discussion of his and Richmond's achievements.

UNHWildCats
January 19th, 2009, 12:29 PM
an ESPN guy said he didnt even know Richmond had a football program??? Didnt ESPN very recently broadcast a game where RICHMOND WON THE DAMN CHAMPIONSHIP. Jesus they shouldnt let guys like this on the air.... or even let him breath air/

Canyoncat
January 19th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Colin Cowherd on his show today when discussing Tim Hightower he said "they got him out of the 5th round out of RICHMOND, i wasn't sure they even had a football program." Doesn't ESPN realize that some great players come from the FCS? I guess not. I love Cowherd by the way. He isn't afraid to go out on a limb and make fun of a team or player, so this isn't surprising.

Really stupid on Cowherd's part. He is a graduate of Eastern Washington University, so you would think he would know a little more about FCS Football than he does. I stopped listening to him a long time ago. Comes across as an arogant a$$ to much for my taste which is typle of ESPN anyways.

JMU DJ
January 19th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Really stupid on Cowherd's part. He is a graduate of Eastern Washington University, so you would think he would know a little more about FCS Football than he does. I stopped listening to him a long time ago. Comes across as an arogant a$$ to much for my taste which is typle of ESPN anyways.

Yeah, this is how Cowherd is and he expects people to email or call him and tell him how stupid he sounds... when all he really wants to do is turn it around on the e-mailer or caller to further belittle them. It's pretty much agree with him or you will be trashed. He is a really smart, witty person with excellent sports commentary and I do agree with him most of the time, but hey, you can't really agree with everything everyone has to say right? Then there would be no reason for this message board.

Thunderstruck84
January 19th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I know this isn't necessarily on point with the ESPN question, but did anybody else see Sidbury in the Shrine Game? They had the game on in the restaurant where I ate lunch on Saturday but had the TV on mute. First I saw the helmet logo (which can't possibly be confused with any other FBS or FCS program), then the camera stayed on him for a long time while they put up a ton of stats on him. Though there wasn't any audio, I assume there must have been extensive discussion of his and Richmond's achievements.
I caught it for a few minutes when they were talking about him, mostly about how his jersey said Sidbuby instead of Sidbury.

spdram
January 19th, 2009, 01:03 PM
You can't really put much emphasis on what Cowherd says, I think he just loves to shock people with off the wall junk.

Sidbury had a pretty good game in the East-West Shrine, not his best. The scouts must have liked it because now he will play in the North-South game. The announcers were very complementry to Sidbury, did say he was looked at more as a pass rusher than anything else and would need some additional upper body strength. Richmond got some favorable air time and mention of the National Championship. Montana was mentioned favorably, it helped that one of the announcers (Todd McShay) was a Richmond grad.

BTW did you note they "screwed up" his jersey, he was not "Sidbury" but "Sidbuby". Say Bub!!

JMU DUUUKES LAW
January 19th, 2009, 01:13 PM
whats funny is that ESPN's own college football expert Todd McShay PLAYED at Richmond ....

Appinator
January 19th, 2009, 01:29 PM

Cowturd is a joke. He is a shock jock in its purest form for the sports world. He has built his career on belittling others, mixed in with a dash of contrived humor and obvious sports commentary. The best thing you can do to stop him is not through emails or calls, it is by turning your radio dial to something else.

Eight Legger
January 19th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I think McShay tried to walk on to the team at UR his freshman year but either bagged or soon after or didn't make it. He never played at Richmond, but it was cool to have him give Sidbury a little pub the other day.

I like Cowherd a lot, but I've come to expect that type of reaction from him when it comes to FCS programs. He trashes them all equally.

LehighFan11
January 19th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Cowherd trashes alot of people and really I guess it his job to. I love some of Cowherd opinions, mostly on non sports topics however.

SideLine Shooter
January 19th, 2009, 01:53 PM
That's espn for you. Anybody ever heard of this person they call "cupcake Curt Herbstreet?"

bluehenbillk
January 19th, 2009, 01:56 PM
You guys still take this stuff too personally. Just yesterday I read an article about Joe Flacco & Flacco was quoted that he "had to go to the minor leagues of college football" to prove himself.

jonmac
January 19th, 2009, 01:58 PM
This has been par for the course for Cowherd for quite some time. He is sold out to the BCS. He has been referring to FCS teams as "something called Appalachian State", etc. for awhile. He is also all about Vegas and the sports betting biz. If there's not an official Vegas line on it then he couldn't care less. And he's just about always right with his predictions and analysis. For me, it's kind of a love/hate deal with him. I really get the impression that when the mics off he gives respect where it's due. He's very knowledgeable, just sold out.

SideLine Shooter
January 19th, 2009, 02:06 PM
You guys still take this stuff too personally. Just yesterday I read an article about Joe Flacco & Flacco was quoted that he "had to go to the minor leagues of college football" to prove himself.

Way to go Flacco.xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I think he still has to prove himself.

ur2k
January 19th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I think McShay tried to walk on to the team at UR his freshman year but either bagged or soon after or didn't make it. He never played at Richmond, but it was cool to have him give Sidbury a little pub the other day.

I like Cowherd a lot, but I've come to expect that type of reaction from him when it comes to FCS programs. He trashes them all equally.

The man with many legs is correct. McShay never played at Richmond but was involved with the football program - I think he did film work, etc.

They talked about UR and "Sidbuby" a decent amount early in the game.

Who cares what Cowturd said? The FCS was well represented yesterday with Hightower, Flacco, Warner, Westbrook, Jordan, Rogers-Cromartie all playing.

mcveyrl
January 19th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Who cares what Cowturd said? The FCS was well represented yesterday with Hightower, Flacco, Warner, Westbrook, Jordan, Rogers-Cromartie all playing.

Agreed. If you care about consistent recognition from every major sports outlet, you are cheering for the wrong level of football.

Take joy in what you've got and everybody else can go Flacco themselves.

JohnStOnge
January 19th, 2009, 03:51 PM
did anybody else see Sidbury in the Shrine Game? .

I watched for a while while he was in. Unfortunately he was kind of losing the battle against the offensive lineman he was facing while I was watching. The guy was having no problem with him at all. But the guys calling the game said that's pretty much what was happening to everybody who was matched up against that offensive lineman during the workouts. They said he's really good. Can't remember who it was.

ItsyBitsySpider
January 19th, 2009, 04:55 PM
According to the NY Post today, Flacco cut his teeth at Division II Delaware.xsmhx

UDBlueLotFan
January 19th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I watched for a while while he was in. Unfortunately he was kind of losing the battle against the offensive lineman he was facing while I was watching. The guy was having no problem with him at all. But the guys calling the game said that's pretty much what was happening to everybody who was matched up against that offensive lineman during the workouts. They said he's really good. Can't remember who it was.

I happen to turn the game on when they focused on him, then he gets a 15yrd personal foul for a late hit on the QB...xoopsx

BarefootApp
January 19th, 2009, 06:18 PM
God, I hate stupidity. And ya can't fix it, either.

BDKJMU
January 19th, 2009, 07:40 PM
The man with many legs is correct. McShay never played at Richmond but was involved with the football program - I think he did film work, etc.

They talked about UR and "Sidbuby" a decent amount early in the game.

Looking at the rosters, with starters bolded, I count 26, with 10 starters. Plus one head coach of course! I wonder if any other team in the league besides the Eagles starts as many as 4?

Cardinals:
-Warner
-Dirk Johnson, 6th yr, Northern Colorodo, starting punter & holder
-Hightower
-Ben Patrick: 2nd yr, UD, backup TE who caught 2 point conversion
-Pago Togafau, 2nd yr, Idaho State, 2nd string LB
-Sean Morey, 7th yr, Brown, 3rd string Cardinals receiver, played on special teams
-Brandon Keith, rookie, UNI, backup LT

Steelers:
-Willie Colon, 2nd yr, Hofstra, starting tackle
-Aaron Smith, 10th yr, starting DE, Northern Colorodo
-Jonathan Dekker, 2nd yr, Princeton, 4th string TE

Eagles:
-Westbrook, Nova
-Jordan, JMU, starting LB
-Chris Gocong, 3rd yr, Cal Poly, starting LB
-Jamaal Jackson, 5th yr, Del State, starting center
-Joe Mays, rookie, NDSU, Eagles 2nd string MLB, played special teams
-Bryan Smith, rookie, McNeese, Eagles #6 DE
-Dimitri Patterson, 3rd yr, Tuskegee, #7? CB

Ravens:
-Flacco
-Bart Scott, 7th yr, SIU, starting LB
-Edgar Jones, 2nd yr, SE Missouri State, TE
-Daniel Wilcox, 6th yr, ASU, 2nd string TE,
-David Hale, R, Weber St, OG, 2nd string LG
-Chad Slaughter, 7th yr, Alcorn St, 3rd string OT
-Marques Douglas, 8th yr, Howard, 2nd string DE
-Frank Walker, 6th yr, Tuskegee, CB, 2nd string CB
-Daren Stone, 2nd yr, Maine, 3rd string S

BEAR
January 19th, 2009, 07:41 PM
ESPN did that? I can't believe it...xrolleyesx My big question is why do you guys still let it bother you? Hey the pigs get all the media attention here in Arkansas but fans who attend other games and support their schools realize what the big media outlets and indoctorined pig fans are missing out on..so who cares?! xlolx xnodx xnodx

4th and What?
January 19th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Take joy in what you've got and everybody else can go Flacco themselves.

I get what you did there.... xrolleyesx

Reign of Terrier
January 19th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Looking at the rosters, with starters bolded, I count 26, with 11 starters. Plus one head coach of course! I wonder if any other team in the league besides the Eagles starts as many as 5?

Cardinals:
-Warner
-Dirk Johnson, 6th yr, Northern Colorodo, starting punter & holder
-Hightower
-Ben Patrick: 2nd yr, UD, backup TE who caught 2 point conversion
-Sean Morey, 7th yr, Brown, 3rd string Cardinals receiver, played on special teams
-Brandon Keith, rookie, UNI, backup LT

Steelers:
-Willie Colon, 2nd yr, Hofstra, starting tackle
-Aaron Smith, 10th yr, starting DE, Northern Colorodo
-Jonathan Dekker, 2nd yr, Princeton, 4th string TE

Eagles:
-Westbrook, Nova
-Jordan, JMU, starting LB
-Kevin Curtis, 6th yr, Utah State, starting receiver
-Chris Gocong, 3rd yr, Cal Poly, starting LB
-Jamaal Jackson, 5th yr, Del State, starting center
-Joe Mays, rookie, NDSU, Eagles 2nd string MLB, played special teams
-Bryan Smith, rookie, McNeese, Eagles #6 DE
-Dimitri Patterson, 3rd yr, Tuskegee, #7? CB

Ravens:
-Flacco
-Bart Scott, 7th yr, SIU, starting LB
-Edgar Jones, 2nd yr, SE Missouri State, TE
-Daniel Wilcox, 6th yr, ASU, 2nd string TE,
-David Hale, R, Weber St, OG, 2nd string LG
-Chad Slaughter, 7th yr, Alcorn St, 3rd string OT
-Marques Douglas, 8th yr, Howard, 2nd string DE
-Frank Walker, 6th yr, Tuskegee, CB, 2nd string CB
-Daren Stone, 2nd yr, Maine, 3rd string S

I thought Utah State was FBS in the WAC?

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 19th, 2009, 07:54 PM

The kid was from Houston. You are correct that he was working over Sidbury ... and everyone else.

Big Al
January 19th, 2009, 08:26 PM

Yup. But, they are worse than half the FCS teams out there, so that has to count for something, right?

BDKJMU
January 19th, 2009, 08:26 PM

Yep, you're right. Got Utah St & Southern Utah confused. Fixed it.

spiderman87
January 19th, 2009, 09:30 PM

Yeh, the kid was from Houston- Sebastian Vollmer. He came all the way from Germany to play football I believe. Showed up to camp freshman year at 230 lbs- Now he's 6'8'' 315!!!!! They were saying that he should have a pretty favorable career in the pros.

BarefootApp
January 20th, 2009, 07:14 AM
ASU's Daniel Wilcox for the Ravens saw a lot of minutes on offense and special teams. He even returned a kick in the 2nd half. good showing fcs.

GATA
January 20th, 2009, 12:05 PM

People need to stop crying about this. I-AA IS the minor leagues of college football. Just accept it.

That doesn't mean that I-AA is BAD football, it just means that you don't have the quantity of elite athletes that you do on the I-A level. Naturally, guys fall through the cracks and land in I-AA and then move on to awesome pro careers, but don't kid yourself...I-AA football is a rung below I-A football.

With that said...I'm still a HUGE I-AA football fan because the school where I got my degree plays I-AA football. I wouldn't be nearly as big a fan if I didn't go to Georgia Southern (I'm just keeping it real).

Once I was introduced to the greatness of I-AA football by attending a few games I grew to really appreciate it...you can't expect that from somebody like Cowherd who has no clue what he's talking about because he doesn't watch I-AA ball...

Hell, nobody denies that College Football is the "minor leagues" of the NFL, yet people still watch college football, and some people (like me) actually enjoy college football more than pro football. Just because you're "minor league" doesn't mean that the games and competition aren't exciting and enjoyable. I think the thing that really gives I-AA ball it's niche appeal is the fact that you have more regional rivalries and of course...a playoff system.

clenz
January 20th, 2009, 12:44 PM
People need to stop crying about this. I-AA IS the minor leagues of college football. Just accept it.

That doesn't mean that I-AA is BAD football, it just means that you don't have the quantity of elite athletes that you do on the I-A level. Naturally, guys fall through the cracks and land in I-AA and then move on to awesome pro careers, but don't kid yourself...I-AA football is a rung below I-A football.

With that said...I'm still a HUGE I-AA football fan because the school where I got my degree plays I-AA football. I wouldn't be nearly as big a fan if I didn't go to Georgia Southern (I'm just keeping it real).

Once I was introduced to the greatness of I-AA football by attending a few games I grew to really appreciate it...you can't expect that from somebody like Cowherd who has no clue what he's talking about because he doesn't watch I-AA ball...

Hell, nobody denies that College Football is the "minor leagues" of the NFL, yet people still watch college football, and some people (like me) actually enjoy college football more than pro football. Just because you're "minor league" doesn't mean that the games and competition aren't exciting and enjoyable. I think the thing that really gives I-AA ball it's niche appeal is the fact that you have more regional rivalries and of course...a playoff system.People aren't going to give FCS the respect it deserves because of statements calling it the "minor leagues".