PDA

View Full Version : Richmond @ Hampton

DTSpider
November 20th, 2005, 01:17 PM
I'll share some more detailed thoughts on the game later in the week. Should be a close game with similar teams. I'm making the trip down there for the game. Would like to hear from some of the Hampton fans both about the game, but also about the best way to get there, when tailgate starts, things to look for, etc.

GaSouthern
November 20th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Richmond is gonna sweep the floor with these guys.

umassfan
November 20th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Richmond by 30

Hamptongal
November 20th, 2005, 01:31 PM
I'll share some more detailed thoughts on the game later in the week. Should be a close game with similar teams. I'm making the trip down there for the game. Would like to hear from some of the Hampton fans both about the game, but also about the best way to get there, when tailgate starts, things to look for, etc.
i don't think the teams are very similar, you guys are more pass heavy we are more run heavy. Defensively you guys look pretty decent, especially if we look at the last 5 games. Personally, I am looking more at those games because you guys seemed to gather steam. The best way to get there from Richmond is to go down on 64 to the Hampton University exit.

Hamptongal
November 20th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Richmond by 30
excellent prediction...you seem to stink at predictions so I appreciate it.

HIUguy08
November 20th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Richmond is gonna sweep the floor with these guys.

Wait a minute buddy u go and worry about Texas State.

Hamptongal
November 20th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Wait a minute buddy u go and worry about Texas State.
Don't even worry about that, people are gonna say what they wanna say. We can leave the chit talking to the field.

ChickenMan
November 20th, 2005, 01:34 PM
I think it should be a good game... the key is can HU contain Tutt...???

GaSouthern
November 20th, 2005, 01:38 PM
I do think richmond will fall to Ingle and the Furple Paladins.

Hamptongal
November 20th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Great Penetration and the secondary will be huge. We will see.

umassfan
November 20th, 2005, 01:49 PM
excellent prediction...you seem to stink at predictions so I appreciate it.
Okay you seem to forget last year for the playoffs I got 1 game wrong :D Hampton will be blown off the field in the first half. Richmond would rather be at Hampton then home and have to play anyone else in the field.

Hamptongal
November 20th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Okay you seem to forget last year for the playoffs I got 1 game wrong :D Hampton will be blown off the field in the first half. Richmond would rather be at Hampton then home and have to play anyone else in the field.
I'm talking about recently. Last year you may have been the most fabulous prediction man in the Western Hemisphere but lately your skills seem to have a cold. I doubt it. I think Richmond's O is gonna make a big o with their mouth b/c they will be shocked by the speed of the defense. I think the will bring a lot of pressure to the QB. Should be an interesting game. I don't think it will be a walkabout like if we had been seeded #2. But I honestly think that this should be a good game, and impossible for Hampton to get beaten by 30 or be blown off the field in the first half. The first quarter Richmond may score but once the defense makes their adjustments they are disgustingly on point. We will see if I am wrong, but I don't think I am.

DTSpider
November 20th, 2005, 02:22 PM
What's the stadium like? Is there enough seating? Indoors/outdoors, grass/turf, etc?

JMU Duke Dog
November 20th, 2005, 02:24 PM
This game is going to be very interesting to watch and should be close. I will be pulling for Richmond to represent the A10 well during the playoffs!

Hamptongal
November 20th, 2005, 02:26 PM
What's the stadium like? Is there enough seating? Indoors/outdoors, grass/turf, etc?
check out the thread that says post your stadium pics here...second page, about 19000 can be squeezed with standing room. that should be all that's available with the teams being so close to each other.

NYSigma
November 20th, 2005, 02:36 PM
check out the thread that says post your stadium pics here...second page, about 19000 can be squeezed with standing room. that should be all that's available with the teams being so close to each other.

Hmmm I will save you folks a lot of time...it's page 30......

NYSigma
November 20th, 2005, 02:38 PM
By the way the thread on this board states that ESPNU will be showing the game at 8:00 pm but can't really tell if this is a tape delay or not? They first state that the ESPN family will be showing three live games so can we assume this will be a night game??? Anyone's thoughts???

Hamptongal
November 20th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Hmmm I will save you folks a lot of time...it's page 30......
Hahaha I have no idea why I wrote second. :D :rolleyes:

youwouldno
November 20th, 2005, 02:51 PM
UMassfan just picks the A-10 to win every time and last year the A-10 did well. Big deal. He's pretty clueless overall.

I do however think Richmond is a significant favorite, maybe -7 or even more. Hampton's weak schedule is going to haunt them in this one.

That said, as a Furman fan I'm ambivalent as to who wins. I'd like a home game so I can attend it easily, so I guess I'd rather see Richmond win for that reason.

Hamptongal
November 20th, 2005, 02:56 PM
UMassfan just picks the A-10 to win every time and last year the A-10 did well. Big deal. He's pretty clueless overall.

I do however think Richmond is a significant favorite, maybe -7 or even more. Hampton's weak schedule is going to haunt them in this one.

That said, as a Furman fan I'm ambivalent as to who wins. I'd like a home game so I can attend it easily, so I guess I'd rather see Richmond win for that reason.
Oh well...I respect the loyalty but the crazy talk of 30 points makes one's head spin.

Tribe4SF
November 20th, 2005, 03:30 PM

Try to find parking somewhere of Settler's Landing Road, which is the exit off I-64. There's plenty of parking at the Convocation Center, but it can take a long time to get out after the game. After the last W&M game there, it took me 45 minutes to get out of the lot. Parking may be easier with the holiday.

The stadium is nice enough. They have a video board. Good atmosphere....outgoing, friendly fans. HU has a mature fan base who know football.

PIRATETIZED1
November 20th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Orig. posted by Tribe4SF
The stadium is nice enough. They have a video board. Good atmosphere....outgoing, friendly fans. HU has a mature fan base who know football

:nod:

NYSigma
November 20th, 2005, 05:17 PM
It will be fun to play someone we've never played before! We're just so darn happy to be in this thing. Too bad we have such a weak weak schedule it should be an easy win for you guys!!! (I'm whistling)

rokamortis
November 20th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Looks like Hampton has a pretty tough draw - but here's hoping the Pirates shut all of the haters up. Good luck Hampton!

Menudo
November 20th, 2005, 06:04 PM

:nod:

Lets not forget the Band will be Jamming!

spdram
November 20th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Hold on Roka--Richmond hasn't exactly been showered with respect this year. We were picked 5th in a 6 team division and people continue to believe we only win because of Stacy Tutt. Stacy can beat you with his arm, he can beat you with his legs and he knows when to use each one. Of 20+ years of watching 1-AA football this could be the best balanced team I have ever seen. Special teams, offense, and defense all are strong, not perfect but strong. If you stack the run Stacy will throw past you, or the line will punch big enough of a hole for us to break the long one (ask Towson), if you play the pass you will leave lanes and we will exploit them. On the defensive side they seldom give a big play and will rock your clock. Our special teams have been making at least two big plays in the last 5-6 games. Oh BTW I believe we will get back two starters that have not been able to play for 3/4 weeks. Having said all that, HU is undefeated--I don't care who you have played you are undefeated. We will have our work cut out doing something nobody else has been able to do this year. Looking forward to the trip to Hampton--GO SPIDERS!

rokamortis
November 20th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Hold on Roka--Richmond hasn't exactly been showered with respect this year. We were picked 5th in a 6 team division and people continue to believe we only win because of Stacy Tutt. Stacy can beat you with his arm, he can beat you with his legs and he knows when to use each one. Of 20+ years of watching 1-AA football this could be the best balanced team I have ever seen. Special teams, offense, and defense all are strong, not perfect but strong. If you stack the run Stacy will throw past you, or the line will punch big enough of a hole for us to break the long one (ask Towson), if you play the pass you will leave lanes and we will exploit them. On the defensive side they seldom give a big play and will rock your clock. Our special teams have been making at least two big plays in the last 5-6 games. Oh BTW I believe we will get back two starters that have not been able to play for 3/4 weeks. Having said all that, HU is undefeated--I don't care who you have played you are undefeated. We will have our work cut out doing something nobody else has been able to do this year. Looking forward to the trip to Hampton--GO SPIDERS!

spdram - I understand. What you guys have done is pretty amazing as well. Nothing against y'all but IMHO Hampton has been the brunt of jokes and rude remarks all season. Richmond is still apart of the powerful A-10 and Hampton the weak MEAC. I would just like to see this board if the Pirates win, because I know what it will be like if they lose.

Eaglegus2
November 20th, 2005, 08:46 PM
I would like to see Hampton defeat Richmond to prove to everyone that they can play with anyone.

I realize this will be a tough game for Hampton, but they have something to prove.

Go Get'em Pirates!!!!

REEM10
November 20th, 2005, 09:48 PM

I think All-American candnidate LB Justin Durant and company will be ready.

Comming to Amstrong Stadium and getting a win is not as easy as you think. And for you fans who have never had a wiff of the black college football atmosphere, get ready for a treat. Our fans are into the game from start to finish, and the team comes to play.

You all have to remember that this is Hampton's first time hosting a 1-AA tourney game, and they are going to do everything possible to show the Nation, that they are not a fluke! So think it will be easy if you want. This team already knows that most of the nation is taking them as a joke. So the haters are just adding fuel to the fire now. Joe Taylor will have this team ready to play!

REEM10
November 20th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Armstrong Field holds 14,000 (including standing room).

DTSpider
November 20th, 2005, 10:01 PM
The Spiders will come ready to play. They've been facing single elimination since week 4. I expect Hampton to come out strong. Should be a great contest with two good teams. I'm looking forward to the environment. Never been to a Hampton game before but have heard great things.

REEM10
November 20th, 2005, 11:09 PM
The Spiders will come ready to play. They've been facing single elimination since week 4. I expect Hampton to come out strong. Should be a great contest with two good teams. I'm looking forward to the environment. Never been to a Hampton game before but have heard great things.

I expect nothing less from Richmond. I saw you all play 2 games this year. Most recently against Towson. I respect your team. Matter fact, you have someone from my hometown who plays for you all. John Crone. He should be a good running back for you all over the next couple of years.

HIUguy08
November 20th, 2005, 11:27 PM

Yup we will be JAMMING as usual!!!!! THE FORCE IS COMIN' AT YA

eaglesrthe1
November 21st, 2005, 01:06 AM
I have confidence that Hampton will take the Spiders, and squash them like the bugs that they are. Or like the arachnids that they are. What's the diff? :D

ASU Kep
November 21st, 2005, 03:11 AM
I think Hampton will pull out a squeaker in the fourth. They're out to prove their team can compete.

The next round with Furman will however not go so well, IMHO.

R.A.
November 21st, 2005, 03:28 AM

-I think this game will really test to see how NFL ready Justin Durrant truly is. Marcus Dixion too (U know he's a sophomore).

R.A.
November 21st, 2005, 03:33 AM

-The Battle of the Real HU in 2002(Howard vs. Hampton), we broke the attendance record for Armstrong w/ a bit over 21,000.

R.A.
November 21st, 2005, 03:36 AM

-I'd love 2 see Furman at a MEAC Stadium.

R.A.
November 21st, 2005, 03:39 AM
-Is Richmond bringing there Band??? That would be a good battle 2 see.

R.A.
November 21st, 2005, 03:47 AM
I think Hampton will pull out a squeaker in the fourth. They're out to prove their team can compete.

The next round with Furman will however not go so well, IMHO.

-If they get Furman in Armstrong, I think Hampton will beat them too. But that's looking ahead... and that's a huge no no.

November 21st, 2005, 04:49 AM
I think All-American candnidate LB Justin Durant and company will be ready. ...I-AA.org Magazine 2005 Fall Preview pages 5, 66, 68...

true Pirate
November 21st, 2005, 06:14 AM
We look forward to showing you guys some Pirate hositality. We will be up for the challenge for sure. Hampton is very physical and fast. We will settle it on the field. My prediction, Hampton 28, Richmond 21. I have seen Richmond play and I think that the are underated but they have not seen a team this physical and fast all year. Remember these names, Daniels, Coleman, Mcdaniel, Shephard,Durant. I think that Princeton Shepard will play the game of his life. We look forward to Saturday. Ladies and gentleman, "let's get ready to Rumble".

Tribe4SF
November 21st, 2005, 06:48 AM

Richmond doesn't have a band. Not even a pep band. They play band music over their pa system.

"The Force" will be unchallenged. The Pirates, however, will definitely be challenged. The key games to look at on Richmond's schedule were their wins at Hofstra and at JMU. Those two games define the Spiders as a good team.

Tribe4SF
November 21st, 2005, 07:30 AM
Armstrong Field holds 14,000 (including standing room).

I'll be interested to see how big the crowd is. HU brought about 1500 to Williamsburg last year. With students gone for the holiday, I'm guessing there will be about 8,000 there. Phoebus H.S. and Hampton H.S. play this week in Eastern Region final at Darling Stadium in Hampton, and I sure hope that game is Friday night, because that would definitely hurt attendance.

Hamptongal
November 21st, 2005, 08:37 AM
We look forward to showing you guys some Pirate hositality. We will be up for the challenge for sure. Hampton is very physical and fast. We will settle it on the field. My prediction, Hampton 28, Richmond 21. I have seen Richmond play and I think that the are underated but they have not seen a team this physical and fast all year. Remember these names, Daniels, Coleman, Mcdaniel, Shephard,Durant. I think that Princeton Shepard will play the game of his life. We look forward to Saturday. Ladies and gentleman, "let's get ready to Rumble".
And the brethren said, "Amen"

NYSigma
November 21st, 2005, 08:44 AM
Wow UR sounds a lot like us, we too will be playing two of our starters who have been out 3/4 games!! UR will be up against speed they have not seen this year believe me. Last year that W&M QB had only thrown 1 interception the whole season. Well he threw 3 against us in the 1st half!!!! Speed kills!!! I can't wait!!!

bandl
November 21st, 2005, 08:50 AM
Wow UR sounds a lot like us, we too will be playing two of our starters who have been out 3/4 games!! UR will be up against speed they have not seen this year believe me. Last year that W&M QB had only thrown 1 interception the whole season. Well he threw 3 against us in the 1st half!!!! Speed kills!!! I can't wait!!!

HAHA....many would say that JMU is a pretty damn fast team (in fact, they rely more on speed than size on their defense), yet UR beat them this year. And JMU's incredibly fast team BEAT that same Mary & Bill QB in the semi's last year that HU lost to...it'll be interesting to see how HU deals with a team that is the whole package and is definitely peaking at the right time. And vice versa...HU is no joke either. I'll eagerly be watching that game.

ChickenMan
November 21st, 2005, 08:50 AM

There is plenty of 'speed' in the A10... you don't win two straight I-AA titles without it... ;)

89Hen
November 21st, 2005, 09:00 AM
I think this will be a very good game, but I think the Spiders are on a roll right now. Yes, nobody has as many wins as Hampton, but they've known for a couple weeks that they were in the field. UR has had the pressure of having to win every game down the stretch to make it. Their offense has lit it up against some mediocre defenses, but I don't think HU is known for D. This should be an old fashioned track meet. Somewhere in the 45-35 range in favor of UR.

IF Richmond does win, it will be a shame for HU since many people will pull out the 'see I told you they were weak' routine. IMO that really won't be fair. I think that Richmond is one of the best teams in I-AA right now and losing to them is not condemning. OTOH, if Hampton wins, a lot of people will have some backpedalling in front of them.

OL FU
November 21st, 2005, 10:11 AM
-I'd love 2 see Furman at a MEAC Stadium.

I have seen Furman at an MEAC stadium twice.

In Orangeburg. Wish we would do it again.

TypicalTribe
November 21st, 2005, 11:01 AM
Richmond is playing some grerat football right now and if I was a Hampton fan, I'd be a little worried that they haven't been chanllenged much in the last several weeks.

Richmond 31
Hampton 24

Hamptongal
November 21st, 2005, 11:12 AM
How to Beat Hampton: In many ways, this Hampton team is better than the 2004 unit. The running game is stronger and the defense is tougher. But Hampton’s passing attack is limited without Mathis, and neither Princeton Shepherd or Antwan Smith has stepped forward and done anything special at quarterback. The Pirates aren’t likely to find as much room to run against better opponents. Shutting down the run and forcing Hampton to the air is key, since the Pirates have not been forced to win a game with the passing attack all season. Hampton’s defense has great team speed and has held all but one opponent to less than 21 points.

Hey I think Matt Dougherty stole one of my posts a few weeks back. I said the same exact stinkin thing. Blazes...Or maybe it 's just the truth...

ChickenMan
November 21st, 2005, 11:56 AM
Checking the stats... I see that Hampton averages only 140 yrds passing but 251 rushing per game. . Hampton's passing game will have to do a lot better than that... if they expect to beat Richmond. The Spiders are a very tough team to run against... giving up an average of only 115 yrds per game this season.

DTSpider
November 21st, 2005, 12:09 PM
One of the great things about having the 1A on the schedule is that Richmond has played at an SEC this year. Granted Vanderbilt isn't great, but they are still an SEC and have some speed. A lot of these guys also played last year at NC State. So they've at least seen real speed on defense.

While Hampton's speed on defense is getting credit I'm wondering about Hampton's O-line. Richmond's young D-line has really come on. If Hampton cannot control the line of scrimmage will they be able to run the ball?

The matchup with Tutt at QB should be great as well. I'm not sure if they are many other players in 1AA with the speed and strength he has as a runner. I've seen him run right over some very good players in the A10. Falling forward for 3-4 yards on the tackle every plays makes a huge difference.

DTSpider
November 21st, 2005, 12:12 PM
Richmond doesn't have a band. Not even a pep band. They play band music over their pa system.

Yeah but we've got 5 old-timers with kazoo's. :D

bandl
November 21st, 2005, 12:13 PM
I've seen him run right over some very good players in the A10. Falling forward for 3-4 yards on the tackle every plays makes a huge difference.

Amen to that! One of the underrated aspects of an offensive player with the ball, IMO. Fighting (or simply outweighing an opponent!!) for those extra yards every play really adds up, and can really demoralize and wear down an opponent.

R.A.
November 21st, 2005, 12:13 PM
Phoebus H.S. and Hampton H.S. play this week in Eastern Region final at Darling Stadium in Hampton, and I sure hope that game is Friday night, because that would definitely hurt attendance.

-Now that's going to be a game!

blukeys
November 21st, 2005, 12:23 PM
Granted Vanderbilt isn't great, but they are still an SEC and have some speed. A lot of these guys also played last year at NC State. So they've at least seen real speed on defense.

Seems that not so great Vanderbilt team beat Tennessee this weekend.

bandl
November 21st, 2005, 12:25 PM
Seems that not so great Vanderbilt team beat Tennessee this weekend.

UT BLOOOOOOOOOWS this year....no offense to Vandy or UR....

ChickenMan
November 21st, 2005, 12:30 PM

blow or not they're still Tennessee and didn't they give LSU their only loss?

bandl
November 21st, 2005, 12:33 PM
blow or not they're still Tennessee and didn't they give LSU their only loss?
Well...YEAH...they're Tennessee. They remind me of the PSU '04 team...a good defense, but no offense. Then PSU put in a good QB...once PSU put in Michael Robinson...

What the $*&%$....I-A football?? Man!!!!! What's my problem...it's I-AA football time!!! :bang: :bang: :bang: :p :p :p

89Hen
November 21st, 2005, 12:35 PM
:confused: They're certainly having a tough year, but I wouldn't go as far to say they blow. A fumble going into the endzone against Bama and SC in back to back weeks... two losses that would have been wins.

bandl
November 21st, 2005, 12:38 PM
:confused: They're certainly having a tough year, but I wouldn't go as far to say they blow. A fumble going into the endzone against Bama and SC in back to back weeks... two losses that would have been wins.

A 4-6 Tennessee teams sucks. A 4-6 Tennessee team blows. End of story. I'm not talking about it anymore, because I couldn't care about them any more than I do about why my ***** sometimes steams in the bottom of a half-full toilet, while other times it doesn't. THAT'S worth my time thinking about! :D

REEM10
November 21st, 2005, 01:03 PM
While Hampton's speed on defense is getting credit I'm wondering about Hampton's O-line. Richmond's young D-line has really come on. If Hampton cannot control the line of scrimmage will they be able to run the ball?

The matchup with Tutt at QB should be great as well. I'm not sure if they are many other players in 1AA with the speed and strength he has as a runner. I've seen him run right over some very good players in the A10. Falling forward for 3-4 yards on the tackle every plays makes a huge difference.

Hampton's O-Line is real solid. They have only gave up 14 sacks all year.

Mr Durant I am pretty sure will be tracking Tutt all around the field. He finished up the regular season with 110 tackles (14.5 for losses), 1 Int and 5 sacks.

bandl
November 21st, 2005, 01:06 PM
Hampton's O-Line is real solid. They have only gave up 14 sacks all year.

That could be because their QB knows how to move in and out of the pocket and avoid the sack. The O-Line is responsible for more than just protecting the QB. They don't have much of a running game...which could spell trouble if UR can shut down the passing game more than HU is used to.

REEM10
November 21st, 2005, 01:28 PM
That could be because their QB knows how to move in and out of the pocket and avoid the sack. The O-Line is responsible for more than just protecting the QB. They don't have much of a running game...which could spell trouble if UR can shut down the passing game more than HU is used to.

You have it backwards bandl. :confused:

Hampton has two backs that went over 1000 yards this year. Their running game is what RU will have to stop if they want to win this game. Hampton only has 8 passing TD's, so UR will have to force them to win by passing the ball.

Hamptongal
November 21st, 2005, 01:29 PM
They don't have much of a running game??? Is that a fun joke?

Hamptongal
November 21st, 2005, 01:29 PM

Hampton has two backs that went over 1000 yards this year. Their running game is what RU will have to stop if they want to win this game. Hampton only has 8 passing TD's, so UR will have to force them to win by passing the ball.
I thought I was dyslexic for a second when I read that post...

ChickenMan
November 21st, 2005, 01:31 PM
Bad news For Hampton... only two teams... Vanderbilt and JMU... were able to rush for more than 150 yards vs Richmond.

bandl
November 21st, 2005, 01:33 PM

Yeah, apparently I'm dyslexic today. I don't know how I pulled that one out of my butt. I had my logic all backwards. It made sense at one time last night....probably about the time I switched from beer to liquor. My apologies to y'all. :p ;)

Hamptongal
November 21st, 2005, 01:33 PM
Bad news For Hampton... only two teams... Vanderbilt and JMU... were able to rush for more than 150 yards vs Richmond.
Bad news for Richmond, the running duo of Daniels and Coleman, Coleman and Daniels is a one-two punch that is rarely seen...Ridiculous.

Hamptongal
November 21st, 2005, 01:35 PM
Yeah, apparently I'm dyslexic today. I don't know how I pulled that one out of my butt. I had my logic all backwards. It made sense at one time last night....probably about the time I switched from beer to liquor. My apologies to y'all. :p ;)
Apology accepted. Maybe you were mesmerized by your pic of Eliza (sp?) Dushku.

ChickenMan
November 21st, 2005, 01:42 PM
Bad news for Richmond, the running duo of Daniels and Coleman, Coleman and Daniels is a one-two punch that is rarely seen...Ridiculous.

Right... there aren't any backs like that in the A10... ;)

Hamptongal
November 21st, 2005, 01:44 PM
Right... there aren't any backs like that in the A10... ;)
We'll see. ;)

# 1 BearBooster
November 21st, 2005, 02:20 PM
Personally, although I am pulling for Hampton, I don't think they will win this game for several reasons:

1st: Tutt. I do not think Hampton has faced a athlete with this much talent and on the field presents all year. This is a player of many, many dimensions.

2d: I don't think Hampton's defense will be able to cope with Richmonds offense. It will probably be the most diverse passing attack they have seen all year. Clawson is a very innovative coach.

3d: Richmond's defense is solid enough to contain Hampton's vaunted running game. Hampton's passing game is suspect.

Tribe4SF
November 21st, 2005, 02:29 PM
Personally, although I am pulling for Hampton, I don't think they will win this game for several reasons:

1st: Tutt. I do not think Hampton has faced a athlete this talent all year. This is a player of many, many dimensions.

2d: I don't think Hampton's defense will be able to cope with Richmonds offense. It will probably be the most diverse passing attack they have seen all year. Clawson is a very innovative coach.

3d: Richmond's defense is solid enough to contain Hampton's vaunted running game. Hampton's passing game is suspect.

The question for Hampton is not how good their backs are, but how good their o-line is. Coleman and Daniels are good, but they are not as good as Fenner and Banks at JMU. If HU's line has improved from last year, they may be able to run the ball. The truth is, Hampton faces a better D with Richmond than they faced with W&M last year.

Hamptongal
November 21st, 2005, 02:40 PM
The question for Hampton is not how good their backs are, but how good their o-line is. Coleman and Daniels are good, but they are not as good as Fenner and Banks at JMU. If HU's line has improved from last year, they may be able to run the ball. The truth is, Hampton faces a better D with Richmond than they faced with W&M last year.
The O-Line at Hampton is probably Hampton's weakest link. There are three new starters who have made strides but have struggled over the course the year. For both running backs to get more yards, more yards per run with that kind of Oline is an indication of some pretty decent talent. I am not going to argue as to their ability vs another team, because so much ability is based on the O-Line. Not to mention I am 200% biased. I think it would be interesting to see how the running backs would do with each other's O-Lines...just a curious thought. I always wonder about that, like what would any top running back get with USC's O-Line. Reggie Bush is ridiculous but he has an amazing supporting cast. There is never any penetration into the backfield...

# 1 BearBooster
November 21st, 2005, 03:04 PM
The entire season I have been impressed with Richmond. I watched the Towson game on T.V. and attended the W&M game. Richmond is a very sound football team. No team on the Hampton's 2005-2006 schedule compared in talent or coaching. However, Hampton has been competitive against A-10 competition in the past. I expect Hampton will be competitive this go round as well.

# 1 BearBooster
November 21st, 2005, 03:24 PM
Hamptongal: Did you watch Reggie Bush in the Fresno State Game? I call him amazing. Also, Reggie Bush catches passes and runs back punts and kick-off. Any back or play who gathers over 500 all purpose yards in a single game is better than his supporting caste. Saturday, you may see a Reggie Bush like performance out of Stacy Tutt. He's a talent I am sure you and others will not forget.

GSUSpider
November 21st, 2005, 04:02 PM
As far as I am concerened Hampton gets plenty of respect! Not only are they ranked #2 in the COUNTRY right now they also have the #1 scoring D in the Country! Regardless of what conference they play in, they are still the only undefeated team in 1-AA! Thats got to stand for something, right? Believe me Richmond will not take Hampton lightly and they will be ready for a dogfight on Saturday night. As far as being intimidated by the "Home by the Sea", I don't think they will be. James Madison is one of the most intimidating, hostile environments to play in at the 1-AA level and Richmond beat them there, on their homecoming! That's got to count for something! Also, the #1 team in the country(UNH) was dismantled by William & Mary by a score of 42-10. This is the same WM team that Richmond thoroughly dominated by a score of 41-7 this past weekend.

All in all, I'm looking forward to being at a great game on Sat. night. Anything that Richmond receives now is a bonus due to the fact that the Spiders were picked to finish 11th out of 12 in their own conference! So far we have proved everyone wrong, why not one more? Good luck to both teams Saturday night and let's bring them ALL home safe.

dirtbag
November 21st, 2005, 08:56 PM
Hampton is overrated -- they're not a seed. However, people are letting that cloud their judgement. Hampton is good enough to beat Richmond.

HAMPTON COMES ALIVE!!!

Pirates by 4.

89Hen
November 21st, 2005, 09:06 PM
Hampton is overrated -- they're not a seed. However, people are letting that cloud their judgement. Hampton is good enough to beat Richmond.
:confused: Not sure from which side of the fence you're coming.

inpsite1919
November 22nd, 2005, 12:03 AM

HAMPTON COMES ALIVE!!!

Pirates by 4.

Did you make this profile just for the playoffs?

TigerFan17
November 22nd, 2005, 01:11 AM
Hampton will get the respect they deserve when they beat Richmond.

Oh, wait. They won't. :D

NovaHater
November 22nd, 2005, 07:35 PM

Wow, the SMACK Hampton people are throwing out there ! What do you back that up with ?
You have two backs that ran against what ? Howard, Morgan St, Del St, Savannah State !!! Any other girls schools you played ?

If those were numbers against A 10 schools you may have some clout but really, just be glad you made the playoffs.

HIUguy08
November 22nd, 2005, 08:37 PM
Wow, the SMACK Hampton people are throwing out there ! What do you back that up with ?
You have two backs that ran against what ? Howard, Morgan St, Del St, Savannah State !!! Any other girls schools you played ?

If those were numbers against A 10 schools you may have some clout but really, just be glad you made the playoffs.

no smacking allowed if your team is below .500!!!!!

Spider
November 22nd, 2005, 09:19 PM

Well said Nova. We'll do our talking on the field. We've played against some of the best 1AA had to offer this year and will give HU all they want.......

OldSchool85
November 23rd, 2005, 08:06 AM
Hampton will get the respect they deserve when they beat Richmond.

Oh, wait. They won't. :D

Enjoy basketball season, won't you? :D

bandl
November 23rd, 2005, 08:08 AM
Enjoy basketball season, won't you? :D

Not very good smack talk....Hampton lost last night and is 0-2. Bygones.

Hamptongal
November 23rd, 2005, 09:24 AM
Hamptongal: Did you watch Reggie Bush in the Fresno State Game? I call him amazing. Also, Reggie Bush catches passes and runs back punts and kick-off. Any back or play who gathers over 500 all purpose yards in a single game is better than his supporting caste. Saturday, you may see a Reggie Bush like performance out of Stacy Tutt. He's a talent I am sure you and others will not forget.
Wow, I sure would love to be there. Sounds like he could pull of a "Jerome" (against W&M) but one person can't beat the whole team. Hopefully, our D can contain him, because obviously he can't be shut down. However, I trust that they will be able to at least minimize the damage. (fingers crossed)

Hamptongal
November 23rd, 2005, 09:27 AM

That wasn't smack, Reem was explaining that the stats were backwards not talking smack. I was the one who started to get high on the Hampton horse, but all in good fun.

Hamptongal
November 23rd, 2005, 09:30 AM
And PS NOVAHater, they could have gotten more yards but were pulled from a lot of games when the score got high, they were pulled from the Savannah game in the middle of the second quarter. However, you are right, we will see how they perform against an A-10 team and that will be a good assessment of their talent.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 23rd, 2005, 10:01 AM
I would call Tutt "Vick-light"

He really is not quite the athlete that Michael Vick is, but then again no one is... What Tutt can do is buy time... A lot of time!

He took 17 seconds scrambling around before completing a 15-20yd pass for a critical conversion of 3rd and long vs. JMU. He'll run some, but more importantly to the Spiders is his ability to buy time for the receivers to get open.

Personally, I don't think he's that great of a QB. He is a good athlete, but his passing is so-so IMO. Still, he is the leader of the UR Offense, and I expect the Spiders to expose the Pirates' overrated D on Sat.

Where Hampton can make UR pay is on special teams. If Hampton has a good kick returner / punt returner, expect this to help the Pirates overcome a tough UR Defense.

I would take the "over" in this game if i were a betting man. While both teams are known for defense, their offenses are the units that are underrated. We'll see come Saturday! Good luck to both teams, and congratulations on hard fought well-deserved playoff berths!

EPJr
November 23rd, 2005, 12:36 PM

THEIR WHAT????????????????? :eek:

:p :D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p :D

they will be bringing their old farts in red sweaters, a few drunk frat boys, and their bovine-like cheerleaders

Hamptongal
November 23rd, 2005, 12:57 PM
THEIR WHAT????????????????? :eek:

:p :D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p :D

they will be bringing their old farts in red sweaters, a few drunk frat boys, and their bovine-like cheerleaders
ouch, there is no love for those cheerleaders...out of curiosity, got any pics? JK

ChickenMan
November 23rd, 2005, 01:04 PM
ouch, there is no love for those cheerleaders...out of curiosity, got any pics? JK

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/rich/galleries/m-footbl-vmi-110605/VMI_UR_6-lg.jpg

:D :p :D

bandl
November 23rd, 2005, 01:05 PM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/rich/galleries/m-footbl-vmi-110605/VMI_UR_6-lg.jpg

I just threw up in my mouth and chunked in my pants.

Hamptongal
November 23rd, 2005, 01:07 PM

ahhh, now I understand. They are lovely girls.

OldSchool85
November 23rd, 2005, 01:25 PM
Not very good smack talk....Hampton lost last night and is 0-2. Bygones.

Well, the Pirates do have at least one more football game to look forward to; for Towson, on the other hand...well, it's wait 'til next year...

Bulldog87
November 23rd, 2005, 03:25 PM
Hampton wins if the refs stay out of the way. Pirates 24-Spiders 17. :D

DTSpider
November 23rd, 2005, 04:20 PM
Hampton wins if the refs stay out of the way.

Not really sure what that means? You'd think that if anything it would be the other way around. Richmond's on the road so Hampton should get some home cooking.

Considering that the two schools don't have any common opponents its real tough to guess how this game is going to turn out. I'm just happy that I'll be there watching my spiders in the playoffs.

# 1 BearBooster
November 23rd, 2005, 05:13 PM
Hampton wins if the refs stay out of the way. Pirates 24-Spiders 17. :D

Oh here we go. Hampton is already one of the most penalized schools in the MEAC. Hampton just needs to be discipline and things should work out in thier favor. My goodness they have the home field advantage.

BBB
November 23rd, 2005, 05:16 PM

Sorry NovaHater,

But Howard's record is a direct result of the lack of Offense and a WEAK (and that's being polite) kicknig game.

Howard is actually ranked HIGH against the run. I'd put our rush defense against ANY running game in the country.

P.S. if you're going to smack, get some facts first.

Spidertag
November 23rd, 2005, 09:34 PM
OK, first off, I read this board, but have NEVER posted.

I joined for one reason, and that was to say what a class act HamptonGal was....

I'd love to meet her.

I think Richmond wins by 10 or better, but I am WAY biased. She thinks Hampton wins, and admits she is biased too.

No smack talk here, just respect for somebody who outlines (her) positions well and doesn't act like a jerk.

Having said all of that, and having watched Tutt for three years, I think that if Spinner wasn't the starter Tutt's soph. year, and if they'd had the same talent in the supporting cast prior to this year, we may have seen Tutt drafted in the first few rounds of the NFL draft to play QB. Given the current situation, I think Tutt will be drafted, but by somebody looking to make him a OLB or SS. He's that good (remember Scott Frost who played safety for the NYJ after playing QB for the 'Huskers?) Same scenario, but Tutt is stronger, and probably faster.

Back to the original point though, HamptonGal, you are a loyal fan to your team, and a class act!!!! I wish more folks were like you!

Menudo
November 24th, 2005, 03:09 AM
Not really sure what that means? You'd think that if anything it would be the other way around. Richmond's on the road so Hampton should get some home cooking.

Considering that the two schools don't have any common opponents its real tough to guess how this game is going to turn out. I'm just happy that I'll be there watching my spiders in the playoffs.

He means he doesnt want a W&M controversy again.

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2005, 05:56 AM
He means he doesnt want a W&M controversy again.

What controversy was that?

Menudo
November 24th, 2005, 08:08 AM
What controversy was that?

It was the last time Hampton had a great start and were ranked # 2 in the polls. 1998 I remember it was the first year we got our new Jumbotron scoreboard.

It was the 4th quarter , I think the score was either tied or maybe Hampton was up. Anyway, the quaterback for William and Mary threw a pass to to the wide reciever who caught it, hit the ground down by contact, but he got up and ran for a touchdown. The ref, who was right there at the time said he didnt think the guy was down. The player said he thought he held himself up with his hands. Our new board, showed it over and over and over and over and over and replayed it and forwarded and backed it up and forwarded it and backed it up, and you could plainly see this guys butt on the ground. Anyway Hampton tried to come back with like a couple min left in the game, threw and interception and that was the end of the game. Sheriff had to escort the referees out of the stadium with them running for their lives. Later that same referee was fired, and then I think re-hired or only suspended.

ChickenMan
November 24th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Sorry NovaHater,

But Howard's record is a direct result of the lack of Offense and a WEAK (and that's being polite) kicknig game.

Howard is actually ranked HIGH against the run. I'd put our rush defense against ANY running game in the country.

P.S. if you're going to smack, get some facts first.

It's true that Howard only gave up an average of 100 yrds a game rushing... but that was vs very questionable opposition. Del St similarly had pretty impressive run 'D' stats (114 yrds per game) vs basically the same competition. However when Del St stepped out of conference vs JMU and Coastal Carolina... their rush defense was pretty much exposed. Coastal rushed for 213 and JMU 307... competiton does matter...

Hamptongal
November 24th, 2005, 11:03 AM
OK, first off, I read this board, but have NEVER posted.

I joined for one reason, and that was to say what a class act HamptonGal was....

I'd love to meet her.

I think Richmond wins by 10 or better, but I am WAY biased. She thinks Hampton wins, and admits she is biased too.

No smack talk here, just respect for somebody who outlines (her) positions well and doesn't act like a jerk.

Having said all of that, and having watched Tutt for three years, I think that if Spinner wasn't the starter Tutt's soph. year, and if they'd had the same talent in the supporting cast prior to this year, we may have seen Tutt drafted in the first few rounds of the NFL draft to play QB. Given the current situation, I think Tutt will be drafted, but by somebody looking to make him a OLB or SS. He's that good (remember Scott Frost who played safety for the NYJ after playing QB for the 'Huskers?) Same scenario, but Tutt is stronger, and probably faster.

Back to the original point though, HamptonGal, you are a loyal fan to your team, and a class act!!!! I wish more folks were like you!

From what I hear players say about the tape of Tutt, he is excellent, although not that great of an arm (good enough, just not great). I really appreciate the love though. On this lovely thanksgiving day I almost had a tear in my eye. I am a hugely loyal fan, but I dislike when people get personal and furthermore act as though their belief is more valid than another's even though they are insanely biased.

Thanks though...I needed a boost today...holidays in Iraq stink.

Hamptongal
November 24th, 2005, 11:28 AM
It's true that Howard only gave up an average of 100 yrds a game rushing... but that was vs very questionable opposition. Del St similarly had pretty impressive run 'D' stats (114 yrds per game) vs basically the same competition. However when Del St stepped out of conference vs JMU and Coastal Carolina... their rush defense was pretty much exposed. Coastal rushed for 213 and JMU 307... competiton does matter...
Don't forget Hampton also rushed for 219 yards against Del State...so let's not make it seem like Hampton wasn't right up there with those that performed well but imply they were held to that 114 yards average.

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2005, 02:09 PM
It was the last time Hampton had a great start and were ranked # 2 in the polls. 1998 I remember it was the first year we got our new Jumbotron scoreboard.

It was the 4th quarter , I think the score was either tied or maybe Hampton was up. Anyway, the quaterback for William and Mary threw a pass to to the wide reciever who caught it, hit the ground down by contact, but he got up and ran for a touchdown. The ref, who was right there at the time said he didnt think the guy was down. The player said he thought he held himself up with his hands. Our new board, showed it over and over and over and over and over and replayed it and forwarded and backed it up and forwarded it and backed it up, and you could plainly see this guys butt on the ground. Anyway Hampton tried to come back with like a couple min left in the game, threw and interception and that was the end of the game. Sheriff had to escort the referees out of the stadium with them running for their lives. Later that same referee was fired, and then I think re-hired or only suspended.

Oh, THAT bad call!!! I thought you meant in last years game. Worst call I've ever seen. Three refs were fired by the MEAC after that game.

I was going out the exit to the Convo Center when the crowd was following the refs. The poor guys had to make it all the way to the Convo, and they really got an earfull as they ran. Contrary to some reports, they were never in danger and no one approached them or threw anything. The only person who went overboard that day was Dr. Harvey, who should not have gone on the field. The fans' outrage was totally justified.

Spider
November 24th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Thanks though...I needed a boost today...holidays in Iraq stink.
Hamptongal, we owe you a debt of gratitude for your service. I know too what it's like to spend the holidays on foreign soil and how lonely it gets. I am glad the internet provides you a link to the things you enjoy back in the states. Enjoy the game on Sat and come home safe......

Hamptongal
November 24th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Hamptongal, we owe you a debt of gratitude for your service. I know too what it's like to spend the holidays on foreign soil and how lonely it gets. I am glad the internet provides you a link to the things you enjoy back in the states. Enjoy the game on Sat and come home safe......
Thanks. Have a great Thanksgiving!

R.A.
November 25th, 2005, 06:53 AM
-I think Marquay McDaniel is going to have a 2 touchdown performance. 300+ all purpose yards. He's going to be the Gamebreaker... Hampton wins because of his performance.

Tubby Raymond
November 25th, 2005, 08:18 AM
UR by a touch since they shut down the runnin game. Show em the physicality of the A-10 boys :nod:

Catmendue2
November 25th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Hampton you got this. Just do the Damn Thang.

Hampton Routs UR, in easy win(Sunday's headlines)AP reports. :smiley_wi

Tribe4SF
November 25th, 2005, 08:48 AM
-I think Marquay McDaniel is going to have a 2 touchdown performance. 300+ all purpose yards. He's going to be the Gamebreaker... Hampton wins because of his performance.

Marquay's a good player, but he's never approached a 300+ all purpose game. Dreaming of a Mathis-like performance from him is not going to produce a win. Hampton will need to establish some balance to its offense early, and limit Tutt's productivity.

Richmond's defense will be comparable to Howard and SCSU, if not better than either of those. In those games, Hampton was forced to be balanced between the run and pass, and that will likely be the case against Richmond. As was the case in those games, I would also expect to see Antwan Smith on the field. He and/or Shepherd will need to play well.

Hamptongal
November 25th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Marquay's a good player, but he's never approached a 300+ all purpose game. Dreaming of a Mathis-like performance from him is not going to produce a win. Hampton will need to establish some balance to its offense early, and limit Tutt's productivity.

Richmond's defense will be comparable to Howard and SCSU, if not better than either of those. In those games, Hampton was forced to be balanced between the run and pass, and that will likely be the case against Richmond. As was the case in those games, I would also expect to see Antwan Smith on the field. He and/or Shepherd will need to play well.
I can see two touchdowns and he could approach 300 APY if some significant things happen, lots of punting, and some of those passes out the flats because the UR D is trying to shut down the run. However, 300+ yards is tough for anybody. I am getting so excited and I won't even be there to see it. :hurray:

spdram
November 25th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Hamptongal--wish you could be here to see the game, I anticipate a classic! Stay safe!

BTW any Hampton fans that can give some seating info it would be appreciated. Picked my tickets up and they say General Admission GA3 and a seat number, but I cannot find a seating chart on the web.

REEM10
November 26th, 2005, 06:10 AM
Hamptongal--wish you could be here to see the game, I anticipate a classic! Stay safe!

BTW any Hampton fans that can give some seating info it would be appreciated. Picked my tickets up and they say General Admission GA3 and a seat number, but I cannot find a seating chart on the web.

It is free reign. You sit where ever you want to.

R.A.
November 26th, 2005, 06:54 AM

-We'll see.