PDA

View Full Version : Maine recruiting

PapaBear
January 17th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Nice perspective on Maine's recruiting challenges -- and how we overcome them. I suspect most other northern teams face the same thing -- not just in the east, but also some of the mountain schools -- Montana, UNC etc.

I can't help wondering if deep southern schools don't face them, too -- because of the extreme heat and humidity during summer camp and the first half of the season.

In my experience, the players and coaches are the best salesmen for the program. Not the latitude. Not even the facilities (as long as they're decent).

http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/97409.html

JMU DUUUKES LAW
January 17th, 2009, 10:32 AM
thats a great article. I can't imagine living up there though.

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 17th, 2009, 10:54 AM
That really is a nice piece. I had no idea that Stephen Cooper and Lofa Tatupu went to Maine. That is impressive!

mainejeff
January 17th, 2009, 01:36 PM
thats a great article. I can't imagine living up there though.

Many Northerners can't imagine living in the South.

Tribe4SF
January 17th, 2009, 01:51 PM

From a guy who lives in San Diego, no less.xrolleyesx

mainejeff
January 17th, 2009, 04:37 PM
From a guy who lives in San Diego, no less.xrolleyesx

Believe me, San Diego is not "the South".

Don't take it personally though......different strokes for different folks. xthumbsupx

Seawolf97
January 17th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Really good article !

Uncle Buck
January 18th, 2009, 10:58 AM

Don't take it personally though......different strokes for different folks. xthumbsupx

Amen to that. While I don't think i could live in Maine or any further south than Virginia, my three years in San Diego were by far the best ever. xthumbsupx

Tribe4SF
January 18th, 2009, 12:31 PM

The original comment was weather related, I thought, and hence my comment about a San Diego guy. As to culture, and lifestyle, San Diego rocks! My favorite CA city.

mainejeff
January 18th, 2009, 05:18 PM
The original comment was weather related, I thought, and hence my comment about a San Diego guy. As to culture, and lifestyle, San Diego rocks! My favorite CA city.

Many Northerners also wouldn't move to the South because of the weather. xthumbsupx

WCU LawCat
January 18th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Many Northerners also wouldn't move to the South because of the weather. xthumbsupx

Yeah but they take medication for mental health issues. xlolx

JohnStOnge
January 18th, 2009, 07:04 PM

That doesn't matter because Southern teams do not...or at least should not...have to worry about getting players from the North. That's not "smack." The reality is that there are a lot more good football players in the South than there are in the North. In fact, one of my biggest frustrations is how poorly teams from my are of the country have been doing in FCS play given the fact that they are located in a far more talent rich area of the country than teams in conferences like the MVC and CAA are.

DaBigBlue
January 19th, 2009, 07:53 PM
"There are nine former Bears listed on NFL rosters, the most of any FCS program." Thats amazing, never would of thought. Nice piece.

Hey lets take a poll this week and see if more Northerners want to move South or more Southerners want to move North.xrolleyesx

JMU DUUUKES LAW
January 20th, 2009, 06:17 AM
haha i'm not sure how i accidently started a north/south discussion .... i just meant i couldn't take the cold so many months out of the year. Hence why in Miami right now its still upper 70's !

mainejeff
January 20th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Hey lets take a poll this week and see if more Northerners want to move South or more Southerners want to move North.xrolleyesx

Why take a poll? If people wanted to move to one or the other they probably already did.......it's a free country. xpeacex

xcoffeex

mainejeff
January 20th, 2009, 01:37 PM
haha i'm not sure how i accidently started a north/south discussion .... i just meant i couldn't take the cold so many months out of the year. Hence why in Miami right now its still upper 70's !

It basically comes down to weather in the North and culture in the South. Of course, for 6 months a year.....the North has the best of both. ;)

Tribe4SF
January 20th, 2009, 02:46 PM
It basically comes down to weather in the North and culture in the South. Of course, for 6 months a year.....the North has the best of both. ;)

Culture in many areas of the South is terrific. Williamsburg for one, and my favorite small city Savannah, Georgia for another. Raleigh...Wilmington...Charlottesville...Austin... Auburn, AL....the list goes on. As a transplanted northerner, I can say with some authority that northern stereotypes of the south are frequently off-base. Just like the north though, for every Cambridge there's a Lowell to drag it down.

mainejeff
January 20th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Culture in many areas of the South is terrific. Williamsburg for one, and my favorite small city Savannah, Georgia for another. Raleigh...Wilmington...Charlottesville...Austin... Auburn, AL....the list goes on. As a transplanted northerner, I can say with some authority that northern stereotypes of the south are frequently off-base. Just like the north though, for every Cambridge there's a Lowell to drag it down.

You're right......and things certainly are changing. Not so sure that you guys in the South are going to want continued exploding populations though. A couple more decades of growth like that and the South may not be such an attractive option for many. xthumbsupx

DaBigBlue
January 26th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Taking from the ODU football beat writer's blog.
Thought it was funny that it talked about Maine, made me think about this tread. I guess it's a good thing we are recruiting in the winter, cause I bet Maine is a pretty place during the summer...all one week of it.:)

"Jack Lowney made visits to Maine and Old Dominion the last two weekends.

Want to know why he ended up committing to sign with ODU?

It was minus-10 and 16 inches of snow fell on his visit to Maine. As he crossed the Bay Bridge Tunnel into Virginia Beach on Friday, his entire family rolled down the windows of their car. It was 60 degrees. That's a 70-degree change for the better.

"We couldn't believe it," said the 6-foot-4, 270-pound offensive lineman. "I was shocked."

He was also shocked by Alex Bell and Danzel Manley. The pair of beefeaters (both are about 6-6 and weight 270 and 305) who will also be signing with ODU next Wednesday left a huge impression on Lowney, who is from suburban Philly.

Bell and Manley were the first two players to commit to the Monarchs for this upcoming signing class. The committed in September. They took their official visits this past weekend. They might as well have been host players, 'cause they spent the weekend selling Lowney and everyone else on ODU."

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/01/inside-look-what-goes-recruit

mainejeff
January 26th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Taking from the ODU football beat writer's blog.
Thought it was funny that it talked about Maine, made me think about this tread. I guess it's a good thing we are recruiting in the winter, cause I bet Maine is a pretty place during the summer...all one week of it.:)

"Jack Lowney made visits to Maine and Old Dominion the last two weekends.

Want to know why he ended up committing to sign with ODU?

It was minus-10 and 16 inches of snow fell on his visit to Maine. As he crossed the Bay Bridge Tunnel into Virginia Beach on Friday, his entire family rolled down the windows of their car. It was 60 degrees. That's a 70-degree change for the better.

"We couldn't believe it," said the 6-foot-4, 270-pound offensive lineman. "I was shocked."

He was also shocked by Alex Bell and Danzel Manley. The pair of beefeaters (both are about 6-6 and weight 270 and 305) who will also be signing with ODU next Wednesday left a huge impression on Lowney, who is from suburban Philly.

Bell and Manley were the first two players to commit to the Monarchs for this upcoming signing class. The committed in September. They took their official visits this past weekend. They might as well have been host players, 'cause they spent the weekend selling Lowney and everyone else on ODU."

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/01/inside-look-what-goes-recruit

Good for him! Maine is not the only place that it has been cold this winter though......xrolleyesx And as far as I know, they don't play football anywhere in January. Oh yeah, us Maine fans are pretty happy with our verbal commitments so far.......

http://www.mbr.org/phpBB3/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6438

xsmiley_wix