PDA

View Full Version : On OOC scheduling

GrizzlyBill
January 16th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I apologize for the rudeness in double posting, because I said this on another thread already:

Win your region, you go to the Playoffs. Compare regions that way. Not regular season OOC play.

Being a Griz, I'm loving it these days. I still like playing name teams OOC, and I like the action on this board when Montana plays a Maine or McNeese, etc. I love the test: of our boys, our systems of play, our style of play—BUT, I am against making such a big deal out of regular season OOC games. Seems dumb, to me, to fly at least a hundred people 2000 miles at these fuel prices just for a game—especially since we have plenty competition within half that distance. That's why we have leagues.

Win your league. Win your region. No matter your schedule, just win. It's bull**** about "quality wins" and "strength of schedule." That's all just you guys who like to speculate out loud early in the season. Any win is a good win if after the game, you can hold up your head, and you didn't get hurt too bad. The only reason to ever choose to make a tougher schedule is for the fun of the game and to prepare oneself for the Playoffs.

Seawolf97
January 17th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I apologize for the rudeness in double posting, because I said this on another thread already:

Win your region, you go to the Playoffs. Compare regions that way. Not regular season OOC play.

Being a Griz, I'm loving it these days. I still like playing name teams OOC, and I like the action on this board when Montana plays a Maine or McNeese, etc. I love the test: of our boys, our systems of play, our style of play—BUT, I am against making such a big deal out of regular season OOC games. Seems dumb, to me, to fly at least a hundred people 2000 miles at these fuel prices just for a game—especially since we have plenty competition within half that distance. That's why we have leagues.

Win your league. Win your region. No matter your schedule, just win. It's bull**** about "quality wins" and "strength of schedule." That's all just you guys who like to speculate out loud early in the season. Any win is a good win if after the game, you can hold up your head, and you didn't get hurt too bad. The only reason to ever choose to make a tougher schedule is for the fun of the game and to prepare oneself for the Playoffs.

I hear what you are saying and it does make some financial sense most coaches and fans would disagree. Teams wont schedule local teams for fear of a loss or a lopsided victory that doesnt help their program. For reasons unknown we have yet to play Columbia or Fordham but have traveled to Elon, Youngstown and Maine to name few. Then dont forget the FBS paycheck games . No one wants to be accused of a weak or non competitve schedule and playing tough opponents out of region can help with recruiting.

Ronbo
January 18th, 2009, 08:30 AM
With Montana there seems to be a deal with the Great West for OOC. They have just a 5 team Conference and those guys have a heck of a time filling their schedule. So look for lot's of games with Southern Utah, Cal Poly, and Davis for our OOC schedule. Montana and the Big Sky WILL not leave those guys out in the cold scratching and clawing to fill their schedules.

We have 3 games for OOC. We have 4 home and 4 away Conference games. That means we NEED 2 OOC games at home and we can ONLY schedule 1 away OCC game. The Great West gets it every time for the forseeable future.

WE WILL NOT schedule so that we have 5 home and 6 away games. I will guarantee that!

Ronbo
January 18th, 2009, 08:51 AM
You all can blame the Big Sky Conference for adding Northern Colorado. That was the extra date that we used to get home and homes with Maine, Hofstra, Sam Houston State, and OOC games with Oregon, Oregon State, Iowa, Wyoming, and Hawaii.

Now that we have 8 Conference games we only have 1 OOC game a year for an away game and that will go to the Great West every time for the forseeable future.

Tribe4SF
January 18th, 2009, 10:00 AM
You all can blame the Big Sky Conference for adding Northern Colorado. That was the extra date that we used to get home and homes with Maine, Hofstra, Sam Houston State, and OOC games with Oregon, Oregon State, Iowa, Wyoming, and Hawaii.

Now that we have 8 Conference games we only have 1 OOC game a year for an away game and that will go to the Great West every time for the forseeable future.

With the Great West teams available, and willing, Montana doesn't need to worry about OOC games like they used to. Scheduling that D-II game only becomes a concern if you don't win the BSC. Even then, Montana will usually be 8-2 against FCS, and in the playoffs.

GrizzlyBill
January 18th, 2009, 01:06 PM
With Montana there seems to be a deal with the Great West for OOC. They have just a 5 team Conference and those guys have a heck of a time filling their schedule. So look for lot's of games with Southern Utah, Cal Poly, and Davis for our OOC schedule. Montana and the Big Sky WILL not leave those guys out in the cold scratching and clawing to fill their schedules.

This makes good sense, especially with the overall quality of the GWC. Those teams are generally no farther to travel to than BSC teams.

Again, I say good scheduling will keep an eye out for games that expose us to good competition and other schemes--as prep for Playoffs. Maybe not the prime factor (certainly not on a par with dollars), but it should be considered when other things are equal.