PDA

View Full Version : Hatch going back to Harvard

UNI Pike
January 15th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Geez, this guy is going to be Kurt Warner's age by the time he finishes...

Yahoo Link (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-lsu-hatchtransfers&prov=ap&type=lgns)

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 15th, 2009, 07:59 PM
That one really is bizarre. Make up your mind already!

Retro
January 15th, 2009, 08:44 PM
He'll have to sit out this year!xrolleyesx

jonmac
January 16th, 2009, 08:34 AM
He'll have to sit out this year!xrolleyesx

Does he only have one year of eligibility left?

jonmac
January 16th, 2009, 08:36 AM
That one really is bizarre. Make up your mind already!

Not that bizarre really, no real chance of starting again or playing much at LSU, has BCS champ ring, degree from Harvard vs. degree from LSU? Hmm, not a difficult choice there.

813Jag
January 16th, 2009, 09:00 AM
His P.T. was decreasing rapidly. Lee is rumored to leave as well.

bluehenbillk
January 16th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Never thought I'd see the day where you read the headline : LSU Football Player transfers to Harvard".

Must be the new Transfer U. xlolx

turbodean
January 16th, 2009, 09:05 AM
If i read this right it sounds like...

2005 Freshman season at Harvard on JV squad - 1st year eligibility used.
2006 Left school for a Mormon mission.
2007 3rd string QB for Nat'l Championship team - 2nd year or 3rd year?
2008 Starting QB later injured - 3rd year or 4th year?
2009 Harvard - 4th year or 5th year?

Going from FBS to FCS you do not need to sit out a year ala Perrilloux and others. However going from FCS to FBS you normally would have to and i believe you can also lose a year of elig. I am not sure of all the rules and exceptions. Obviously he sat out a year while on his mission, so that's cool, but it appears he did not lose a year of elig. Otherwise he would not be allowed to play next season. Anyone know all the eligibility rules FCS to FBS?

appfan2008
January 16th, 2009, 09:33 AM
great decision... make your name known... play top level football and go get your degree from harvard!... win win situation

Lehigh Football Nation
January 16th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I do believe he's eligible to play next year?

Methinks Hatch is doing a little bit of depth-chart watching: he saw Pizzotti and O'Hagan were graduating! xlolx Of course, that didn't help him one iota at LSU.

Ivytalk
January 16th, 2009, 10:12 AM
That's good news. I had been wondering who was going to step up after Harvard's three most recent outstanding QBs. My only concern is that he seems fragile.

McNeeserocket
January 16th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Geez, this guy is going to be Kurt Warner's age by the time he finishes...

Yahoo Link (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-lsu-hatchtransfers&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Unless the NCAA has changed one of their many rules, a player can only transfer one time and still be able to play. There are some exceptions, like if the school you are transfering from has given up their football program.

Since I don't see any legitimate reason for Hatch to transfer, I don't see how he is able to continue playing football at Harvard. I think if he enrolls at any other school he should be ineligible to play college football.

If I am wrong, please provide me the NCAA rule that allows transfering multiple times without valid reasons.

BgJag
January 16th, 2009, 10:19 AM
That's good news. I had been wondering who was going to step up after Harvard's three most recent outstanding QBs. My only concern is that he seems fragile.

Hope y'all have a pretty good running game, Hatch arm is a lil elastic.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 16th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Unless the NCAA has changed one of their many rules, a player can only transfer one time and still be able to play. There are some exceptions, like if the school you are transfering from has given up their football program.

Since I don't see any legitimate reason for Hatch to transfer, I don't see how he is able to continue playing football at Harvard. I think if he enrolls at any other school he should be ineligible to play college football.

If I am wrong, please provide me the NCAA rule that allows transfering multiple times without valid reasons.

When he transferred to LSU, he sat out a year. Unless I'm mistaken, this would be his "transfer one time and still be able to play" year.

LehighFan11
January 16th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Good move, he will never take another snap now that the freshman Jefferson played well at the end of the season.

Maverick
January 16th, 2009, 11:24 AM
The one wrinkle here is the return to the original institution factor. The NCAA has what they call a 4-2-4 return to original school rule which does not require sitting out. I vaguely remember a compliance guy telling me that the NCAA rules also has an interpretation that a 4-4-4 return to the original school would also not require the student to sit. I would hope though that Hatch has checked with Harvard to determine his transfer status before making such a move and statement.

Just a reminder about NCAA rules, what you read in the NCAA manual is not exactly what is going on. Like legal system the rules as written and the rules as actually applied are different. The NCAA has a system of "interps" that are used but not available to the public like the manual. And the NCAA is also like our legal system in that it is not about what is right or fair only what is legal or permissible that is the basis for sanctions.

HoyaMetanoia
January 16th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Quick question without reading the article: Doesn't Harvard not allow transfers?

MplsBison
January 16th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Irrelevant to scholarship DI football.

Ivy League might as well be DIII.

Retro
January 16th, 2009, 12:54 PM

That was my thinking, not that he can't play again, but he has to sit out because he trasnferred a 2nd time, regardless of the school or division.. I may be wrong though.

McNeeserocket
January 16th, 2009, 01:57 PM
That was my thinking, not that he can't play again, but he has to sit out because he transferred a 2nd time, regardless of the school or division.. I may be wrong though.

I think that he is not eligible period. A couple of years ago, a player wanted to transfer to McNeese from K-State. The NCAA refused the transfer, because he had already transferred once before. According to the rule stated by the NCAA, a player is allowed to transfer only once (whether they sit out or not) . There are exceptions, like the one I stated earlier that said that if the school where you are presently attending discontinues football (or whatever sport in question).

MDFAN
January 16th, 2009, 02:13 PM
here's the book... i didn't see the 4-4-4 rule there is however a 4-2-4 rule.
like the book says there are exceptions for every rule.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/ProductsDetailView.aspx?sku=TGONLINE2008

Grizalltheway
January 16th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Irrelevant to scholarship DI football.

Ivy League might as well be DIII.

Kind of like you being irrelevant to this board, other than for entertainment purposes.

JohnStOnge
January 16th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I'm much more interested in what's going to happen with Lee. I think he has a lot of potential and just got thrown into the breech when he wasnt' ready. If he tranfers to FCS I think somebody could have a really good quarterback on their hands. No guarantee with respect to how good he would be but I think if the light goes on he's got the physical skills to be a dominant player. As tough as he had it he had some flashes of brilliance.

ngineer
January 16th, 2009, 08:10 PM

We'll see how he bends and folds at Goodman in October.;) :D

Green26
January 17th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Harvard has moratorium on any transfer students. May be no room at the inn for him at Harvard.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=526145

Cleets
January 17th, 2009, 01:53 AM
be open to anything