PDA

View Full Version : Ivy League

Franks Tanks
January 15th, 2009, 10:20 AM
The Ivy League just announced they will hold a post season league tournament for the first time. The sport will be LaCrosse. The Ivy league doesnt even have a league B-ball tourney but now they will have one for Lacrosse.

http://www.ivyleaguesports.com/article.asp?intID=6943

The tournament will be held when some schools have finals so they are completely disregarding one of the long time excuses against such things.

This is significant for one reason. Is the Ivy league showing the ability to chage some of their long standing traditions? No league tournaments was a core feature of the league and this is no more. If the league is examining these decades old policies one would think FB participation in playoffs would the the next logical change.

TheValleyRaider
January 15th, 2009, 11:18 AM
The Ivy League just announced they will hold a post season league tournament for the first time. The sport will be LaCrosse. The Ivy league doesnt even have a league B-ball tourney but now they will have one for Lacrosse.

http://www.ivyleaguesports.com/article.asp?intID=6943

The tournament will be held when some schools have finals so they are completely disregarding one of the long time excuses against such things.

This is significant for one reason. Is the Ivy league showing the ability to chage some of their long standing traditions? No league tournaments was a core feature of the league and this is no more. If the league is examining these decades old policies one would think FB participation in playoffs would the the next logical change.

I'd say a basketball tournament would come first, but probably not until around 2020 or so.... :p

Franks Tanks
January 15th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I'd say a basketball tournament would come first, but probably not until around 2020 or so.... :p

Ya that is probably true. Another example of the Ivy double standard toward football post season play. With the Ivy league having a new commish for the first time it decades it would seem the tide of change has a greater chance to occur now.

appfan2008
January 15th, 2009, 11:43 AM
maybe just maybe before i die the Ivy league will participate with us in the postseason for the level of football that they do belong to...

DFW HOYA
January 15th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Harvard and Yale want nothing to do with the playoffs minimizing The Game and for that reason it isn't moving forward.

bulldog10jw
January 15th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Harvard and Yale want nothing to do with the playoffs minimizing The Game and for that reason it isn't moving forward.

Yale's inability to win it is minimizing THE GAME. xsmhx

ngineer
January 15th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Until everyone with an ounce of memory of the scandals of the 1950's is dead and gone will football even be considered in any kind of post season playoff.

MplsBison
January 15th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Stanford and Cal, two schools with academics at or above the Ivy level, don't seem to have a problem with their big game during the regular season having meaning while still being eligible for the playoffs.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 15th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Stanford and Cal, two schools with academics at or above the Ivy level, don't seem to have a problem with their big game during the regular season having meaning while still being eligible for the playoffs.

xlolx

Minuteman87
January 15th, 2009, 05:15 PM
When's the last time Cal or Stanford made the playoffs?

Cleets
January 15th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Yale's inability to win it is minimizing THE GAME. xsmhx

For who..? xwhistlex

bonarae
January 15th, 2009, 05:35 PM
When's the last time Cal or Stanford made the playoffs?

In a bowl game? Cal made the Emerald Bowl this year.

Cleets
January 15th, 2009, 05:40 PM
In a bowl game? Cal made the Emerald Bowl this year.

I heard on a local sports radio show that 95% of Tedford's recruits require special educational tutoring otherwise would not qualify for NCAA play

YIKES..!!!! xeekx Dennis Erickson had better stats than that..!!!

ngineer
January 15th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Stanford and Cal, two schools with academics at or above the Ivy level, don't seem to have a problem with their big game during the regular season having meaning while still being eligible for the playoffs.xconfusedx xconfusedx

ngineer
January 15th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I see others beat me to the confused response....

Cleets
January 15th, 2009, 08:46 PM

Heads up MplsBison: Check you Cal Stats... on their recruits academics (It's laughable)

bulldog10jw
January 16th, 2009, 06:11 AM
For who..? xwhistlex

for me.

And that's all that matters. xlolx

MplsBison
January 16th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Heads up MplsBison: Check you Cal Stats... on their recruits academics (It's laughable)

What do the player's ACT scores have to do with the schools themselves being the top academic schools in the country?

DetroitFlyer
January 16th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Come on, it is so obvious.... The Ivy League is setting the stage to replace the NEC in the Gridiron Classic in 2010. I cannot wait to see the Dayton / Harvard GIC Bowl game on national TV!

brownbear
January 16th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I hope the Ivy League does not start a postseason tournament for basketball. If you have a tournament, teams that struggle during the regular season but happen to get lucky for two or three games in March would suddenly take our conference's bid to the NCAA tournament. The bid should go to the team that wins the regular season.

Now, I completely agree that the Ivy League should play in the FCS playoffs. Once the schools start caring about football again, we'll be able to change this and get into the playoffs.

Flyer, there is ZERO chance the Ivy League ever plays in the Gridiron Classic. It's either playoffs or nothing.

MplsBison
January 16th, 2009, 04:04 PM
The Ivy is the only conference that does not have a post season tournament.

If you can't win the tournament, doesn't matter if you won the regular season, you don't deserve the bid.

Cleets
January 16th, 2009, 04:16 PM
What do the player's ACT scores have to do with the schools themselves being the top academic schools in the country?

I'm responding to your previous post in this thread ya knucklehead xlolx

YaleFootballFan
January 16th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I hope the Ivy League does not start a postseason tournament for basketball. If you have a tournament, teams that struggle during the regular season but happen to get lucky for two or three games in March would suddenly take our conference's bid to the NCAA tournament. The bid should go to the team that wins the regular season.

I completely agree.

Send your best to play among the best. Who wants to watch a 6th place team with an 11-19 record get embarrassed in the first round against the #1 ranked team in the country? For a mid major, the Ivy League has been relatively competitive in NCAA first round games.

Remember when NOBODY wanted to draw Princeton in the first round?