PDA

View Full Version : Iona QB to Maine

PapaBear
January 15th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Slightly old news but hasn't been posted on AGS, soooo...

I thought he played well against us. Should make for an interesting QB mix.

http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/97140.html

henfan
January 15th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Speculation there as well about The Cos and the open UMass job that, if true, would make at least one UMaine fan happy. Jeff?

BTW, this is great to see Smith and any of the other Iona players land on their feet elsewhere. You hate to see kids lose the rare opportunity to play college football because of the failures of institutional beancounters.

mainejeff
January 15th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Speculation there as well about The Cos and the open UMass job that, if true, would make at least one UMaine fan happy. Jeff?

BTW, this is great to see Smith and any of the other Iona players land on their feet elsewhere. You hate to see kids lose the rare opportunity to play college football because of the failures of institutional beancounters.

He is staying at Maine. At this point in time, it is a good thing for the program. But there definitely needs to be some adjustments made to our offense (passing game)!

GaelsFootball
January 15th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Maine fans are goning to love this kid. He is very athletic and has a great passion and desire to get better. The leadership skills he displayed as a freshman QB was unbelievable. I would have liked to have seen him develop into the best QB in Iona history but I'm happy he's moving on to a bigger and better stage.

On a side note he's just one of many who recieved scholorships to either FCS or DII schools. I would say more than 75% of kids that had eligibility left are moving on as of now whether it be FCS, DII, or DIII. Just shows what I was saying all along that the young talent on our team was the best we ever had.

UNHFan99
January 15th, 2009, 03:40 PM
When a program folds they keep their scholarships. Iona would pay for him to play at maine if he was on scholarship.

aceinthehole
January 15th, 2009, 04:34 PM
When a program folds they keep their scholarships. Iona would pay for him to play at maine if he was on scholarship.

Those kids were all paying their own way at Iona! They were a non-scholly program.

Again, congrats to all those Iona kids that moved on!!!!! Sorry but IMO those kids didn't deserve the crappy treatment they got from the Iona administrators. They are now better off at these new schools with institutional support for the football programs.

Seawolf97
January 15th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Maine fans are goning to love this kid. He is very athletic and has a great passion and desire to get better. The leadership skills he displayed as a freshman QB was unbelievable. I would have liked to have seen him develop into the best QB in Iona history but I'm happy he's moving on to a bigger and better stage.

On a side note he's just one of many who recieved scholorships to either FCS or DII schools. I would say more than 75% of kids that had eligibility left are moving on as of now whether it be FCS, DII, or DIII. Just shows what I was saying all along that the young talent on our team was the best we ever had.

No one ever doubted their desire or potential. Hopefully they will excel
elsewhere!

Cobblestone
January 16th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Hopefully we can grab some defensive backs from this Iona program. I know we could use any help in the secondary that we can get.

GaelsFootball
January 16th, 2009, 01:43 PM
One of our DB's, Zak Turner, is transfering to Sacred Heart. He was a Frosh last year and has three years left. Another, Joe Garcia, is going to Pace (DII) on a football grant. He also has experience returning kicks and has two years left I believe.