Oct. 3 OPEN
Oct. 10 Cal Poly (Homecoming)
Oct. 17 Eastern Washington
Oct. 24 at Sacramento State
Oct. 31 Weber State
Nov. 7 at Idaho State
Nov. 14 Northern Colorado
Nov. 21 at Montana State

I like Central Washington as a DII most years over anyone else in the region, but overall, not a terrible schedule.

slostang
January 13th, 2009, 10:08 PM
I see you scheduled your bye before the Cal Poly game. Great...

GOKATS
January 13th, 2009, 10:16 PM
It was announced a week ago, the only game in question was what DII school the griz were playing. UCD and Cal Poly were locks due to previous contracts (not saying the griz wouldn't buy out). The rest of the schedue is dictated bythe BSC office.

grizband
January 13th, 2009, 10:20 PM
It was announced a week ago, the only game in question was what DII school the griz were playing. UCD and Cal Poly were locks due to previous contracts (not saying the griz wouldn't buy out). The rest of the schedue is dictated bythe BSC office.
Eh, its the first I'd seen it, and it just became official today. Is it too early to be excited for next season?

Woody Hayes
January 13th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Hopefully that schedule is a joke! When will Montana step up and play somebody? I guess we(UNI) will be playng them in Chatanooga next year. They shouldn't lose.

Cleets
January 13th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Hopefully that schedule is a joke! When will Montana step up and play somebody? I guess we(UNI) will be playng them in Chatanooga next year. They shouldn't lose.

It will be interesting to see how many top 10 teams UNI schedules this year..? xeyebrowx (any..?)

Cal Poly is ranked 9th
Weber is ranked 8th

Syntax Error
January 13th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Montana schedule link?

LehighFan11
January 13th, 2009, 11:07 PM
It will be interesting to see how many top 10 teams UNI schedules this year..? xeyebrowx (any..?)

Cal Poly is ranked 9th
Weber is ranked 8th

Cal Poly won't be 9th preseason.

uofmman1122
January 13th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Hopefully that schedule is a joke! When will Montana step up and play somebody? I guess we(UNI) will be playng them in Chatanooga next year. They shouldn't lose.If by that you mean play a money game with an FBS team, I'm glad our opinions of "stepping up" are different.

Getting blown out by an FBS power doesn't really prepare teams very well for anything, IMO, and if you're going to play an OOC game against a mediocre FBS team that you expect to beat, or at least have a chance of beating, why not raise the stakes and play a top-ranked FCS team OOC?
*CoughCalPolyCough*
That way, there's a lot more weight thrown behind a loss. Montana has the fortune of not having to play big money games. We make as much on a home game as most teams make when they play bodybag games.

Also, like Cleets said, Cal Poly and Weber State should both be top 15 teams next year. If Eastern Washington starts playing like they should have this year, they might also crack the top 20.

May not be the toughest schedule in FCS, but to say it's a joke seems rather ignorant, to me. xcoffeex

slostang
January 13th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Cal Poly won't be 9th preseason.

They wont be a push over either.

JMU Newbill
January 14th, 2009, 06:20 AM
And so the west vs. east divide continues.....

nwFL Griz
January 14th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Unfortunately, the very real limitations placed on scheduling by costs associated with travelling show up again in this years' griz schedule. Is this the strongest FCS schedule? Not by any stretch of the imagination. Is this still a good schedule that minimizes travel costs? Yes.

While it is not the schedule I want, I truly believe this is the best we're gonna get, for awhile, from UM.

JMU Newbill
January 14th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Unfortunately, the very real limitations placed on scheduling by costs associated with travelling show up again in this years' griz schedule. Is this the strongest FCS schedule? Not by any stretch of the imagination. Is this still a good schedule that minimizes travel costs? Yes.

While it is not the schedule I want, I truly believe this is the best we're gonna get, for awhile, from UM.

Agreed. Its unfortunate that schools can't figure out something that would allow teams like Montana to come play an east coast game occasionally, and vice versa. Maybe one day???

jstclmet
January 14th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Note to all Montana opponents;

Teach your DE's the "Spin" move. Judging by the NC game, the 1-A xfers never saw that move all season and did not know how to block it (probably the reason they xferred).

By doing this, you would have accomplished 1 of 2 things;
A. You'll better prepare Montana for another NC run, or;
B. You'll be sending another representative to the playoffs.

Have fun. xrotatehx

89Hen
January 14th, 2009, 07:46 AM

xnodx xrulesx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 14th, 2009, 08:49 AM

If Montana with their terrific gate revenue can't afford to travel to other regions for OOC games (as part of home and home series), how can we expect the majority of schools with significantly less revenue to schedule games out of their region?

Ronbo
January 14th, 2009, 08:56 AM
If by that you mean play a money game with an FBS team, I'm glad our opinions of "stepping up" are different.

Getting blown out by an FBS power doesn't really prepare teams very well for anything, IMO, and if you're going to play an OOC game against a mediocre FBS team that you expect to beat, or at least have a chance of beating, why not raise the stakes and play a top-ranked FCS team OOC?
*CoughCalPolyCough*
That way, there's a lot more weight thrown behind a loss. Montana has the fortune of not having to play big money games. We make as much on a home game as most teams make when they play bodybag games.

Also, like Cleets said, Cal Poly and Weber State should both be top 15 teams next year. If Eastern Washington starts playing like they should have this year, they might also crack the top 20.

May not be the toughest schedule in FCS, but to say it's a joke seems rather ignorant, to me. xcoffeex

We don't need the toughest schedule in FCS.

I read that Cal Poly will play at San Jose State and Ohio University. There is no way the Griz would do that. Those schools pay $200K guarantee. It costs $100,000 or so for the Griz to travel to those schools. That would net us $100,000 on those games. We'll make $600,000 gross, $500,000 net on the Western State game. Duh! Do the math! We're doing home and homes with very good FCS teams. Every school on the East Coast schedules a cupcake DII.

putter
January 14th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I am sure the Western Washington game was done to pay for having to fly to Sacramento twice in 2009.

nwFL Griz
January 14th, 2009, 10:20 AM
If Montana with their terrific gate revenue can't afford to travel to other regions for OOC games (as part of home and home series), how can we expect the majority of schools with significantly less revenue to schedule games out of their region?

That's exactly the point though, isn't it? Teams in the east don't have to travel outside of their region to find a slew of teams, some that might even make for competitive games.

Also, the certain financials of each school dictates where they can and can't go. I can't speak for all schools, but I've been told, on more than one occasion, that Montana uses their "terrific gate revenue" to fund the rest of their athletic department.

slostang
January 14th, 2009, 10:25 AM

I read that Cal Poly will play at San Jose State and Ohio University. There is no way the Griz would do that. Those schools pay $200K guarantee. It costs $100,000 or so for the Griz to travel to those schools. That would net us $100,000 on those games. We'll make $600,000 gross, $500,000 net on the Western State game. Duh! Do the math! We're doing home and homes with very good FCS teams. Every school on the East Coast schedules a cupcake DII.

Cal Poly would not have to schedule two FBS games if more of your Big Sky mates would step up and play Cal Poly. It was funny that before Ellerson built the program up Sac State and Montana State both had no problem scheduling Cal Poly. Ellerson is gone, how about it Sac State and Montana State?

PantherRob82
January 14th, 2009, 10:35 AM

Huh? UC-Davis, Cal Poly and D-II. Seems pretty good.

We'll probably have Iowa, South Dakota, and a D-II(or road FCS game).

I'll take their schedule.

PantherRob82
January 14th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I'm not sure Weber or Eastern Washington will be ranked at the end of next year. Cal Poly should still be there.

Green26
January 14th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Besides net revenue for the athletic dept (which is huge), another factor for Montana is the significant economic impact of home games on the community. I don't recall the figures, but with the multiplier effect, a home game is worth something like $3-$5 million for the Missoula area. It's important for the community, and for business sponsors and donors, to keep them happy. 5 homes regular season games would not be popular in Missoula, and probably hasn't occurred for decades.

JST, as for your comments on UM o-lineman and the spin move of d-ends, I point out the following. UM's original right tackle, Russum, had a bad ankle and needed surgery. He opted not to have surgery and to be available as a back-up and part-time player for the last 8 games of the season (he's a senior). In the JMU game, he came in to relieve the starting right tackle, who, according to the local paper, was hurt and unable to go fullt time and full speed. Russum ended up playing teh bulk of the last 3 quarters. That was way more than he had played since the middle of the season, but he must have been the best choice, all things considered. He was unable to push off his right ankle, to counter the spin move. Also, Sidbury was fairly unconventional in his pass rush, including spins at odd times, and this created further problems for UM's o-line.

Russum had surgery the week following the championship game. An NFL agent has said that Russum's injury (resulting in not playing much the last half of the season) probably cost him being drafted by the NFL. He nevertheless remains a good NFL prospect. His ankle surgery has a fast recovery time. Russum was recently selected 2nd team all-american by the Sports Network.

Skjellyfetti
January 14th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Getting blown out by an FBS power doesn't really prepare teams very well for anything, IMO

When was the last time an FCS/I-AA team won the championship without playing a BCS quality FBS team? I know it at least goes back 4 years...

Syntax Error
January 14th, 2009, 11:44 AM
When was the last time an FCS/I-AA team won the championship without playing a BCS quality FBS team? I know it at least goes back 4 years...Aren't all FBS teams "BCS quality" since every one of them can make a BCS game?

UNI Pike
January 14th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Aren't all FBS teams "BCS quality" since every one of them can make a BCS game?

One word - Sunbelt

FCS Go!
January 14th, 2009, 11:55 AM
When was the last time an FCS/I-AA team won the championship without playing a BCS quality FBS team? I know it at least goes back 4 years...

I'm not so sure Richmond played a "BCS quality" FBS team in 2008... xeyebrowx

whitey
January 14th, 2009, 12:11 PM

I think the last 10 years or so all of the Champions have played at the very least a decent mid-major I-A team:

Richmond played Virginia in 2008.
Appalachian State played Michigan in 2007.
Appalachian State played NC State in 2006.
Appalachian State played LSU & Kansas in 2005
JMU played West Virginia in 2004.
Delaware played Navy in 2003.
Western Kentucky played Kansas State in 2002.
Montana played Hawaii in 2001.
Georgian Southern played Georgia in 2000.
Georgia Southern played Oregon State in 1999.

UMass played Buffalo in 1998, at home in Amherst. Buffalo I think was in the MAC at that point (maybe they were transitioning still though?).

jmufan999
January 14th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I see you scheduled your bye before the Cal Poly game. Great...

we saw how well a bye helped App State before a trip into Harrisonburg...

heh heh, any way i can get a shot in... i'll take it.

seriously though, it means nothing. these are college kids and unlike the pro's, they don't spend every waking second in the film room or the practice field. really doesn't have as much of an impact as some might think. probably even less of an impact in FCS than FBS, for that matter.

jmufan999
January 14th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I think the last 10 years or so all of the Champions have played at the very least a decent mid-major I-A team:

Appalachian State played Kansas in 2005

UMass played Buffalo in 1998, at home in Amherst. Buffalo I think was in the MAC at that point (maybe they were transitioning still though?).

wow, that's a fantastic post. good info, just noticed it.

appfan2008
January 14th, 2009, 12:24 PM

really? asu has in the past but i bet you cant find one on there last year or this year

appfan2008
January 14th, 2009, 12:25 PM

Appalachian State played Kansas in 2005

APPALACHIAN STATE ALSO PLAYED LSU IN 2005!!!!!

I added a little something...

gbhmt
January 14th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I'm not sure Weber or Eastern Washington will be ranked at the end of next year. Cal Poly should still be there.

Apparently you haven't seen who Weber is losing. Or rather, who they're not losing.

nwFL Griz
January 14th, 2009, 01:44 PM

Appalachian State played LSU & Kansas in 2005

Doubt Buffalo was in the MAC at that point, here's their schedule from 1998:
@Maine
Lock Haven
@Lafayette
@Massachusetts
@Cornell
Morgan St
Canisius
@Liberty
Western Illinois
Villanova
@Hofstra

JMU DJ
January 14th, 2009, 01:46 PM

Does this count a curse for UNI's 2009 season? :D

Strength of schedule or location of teams played hasn't seem to have a huge effect on Montana in the past... yeah there's all the debacle about them winning playoff games on the road. Well they beat JMU this year and seem to consistently make good runs in the playoffs if not win NC titles. Pretty much what we all expected for a Montana schedule in 2009 right? I wouldn't be underestimating them come game time or playoffs just because they play within their region... I mean, JMU's schedule will pretty much consist of them only traveling up the east coast.

Ronbo
January 14th, 2009, 01:53 PM
For us JUST TO BREAK EVEN on playing an FBS verses having a home game we would need a $750,000 guarantee. We make $600,000 at home and it costs $100,000 - $120,000 to travel.

Plus the city businesses lose 2-3 Million in revenue when we don't have a home game.

I don't see the Griz taking another FBS game for less than 750K to 1 million guarantee.

Give it a rest.

GannonFan
January 14th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Agreed. Its unfortunate that schools can't figure out something that would allow teams like Montana to come play an east coast game occasionally, and vice versa. Maybe one day???

Delaware's got a 3 game set coming up in 2010 through 2012 with South Dakota St, so it can be done.

jstclmet
January 14th, 2009, 02:18 PM
JST, as for your comments on UM o-lineman and the spin move of d-ends, I point out the following. UM's original right tackle, Russum, had a bad ankle and needed surgery. He opted not to have surgery and to be available as a back-up and part-time player for the last 8 games of the season (he's a senior). In the JMU game, he came in to relieve the starting right tackle, who, according to the local paper, was hurt and unable to go fullt time and full speed. Russum ended up playing teh bulk of the last 3 quarters. That was way more than he had played since the middle of the season, but he must have been the best choice, all things considered. He was unable to push off his right ankle, to counter the spin move. Also, Sidbury was fairly unconventional in his pass rush, including spins at odd times, and this created further problems for UM's o-line.

Russum had surgery the week following the championship game. An NFL agent has said that Russum's injury (resulting in not playing much the last half of the season) probably cost him being drafted by the NFL. He nevertheless remains a good NFL prospect. His ankle surgery has a fast recovery time. Russum was recently selected 2nd team all-american by the Sports Network.

So, in effect, what you're saying is that Sidbury broke the kid's ankles xlolx

whitey
January 14th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Doubt Buffalo was in the MAC at that point, here's their schedule from 1998:

You're right. My fault. Looks like Buffalo moved to the MAC in 1999. Wikipedia had it wrong (1996). Wikipedia can be wrong? xlolx

JMU Newbill
January 14th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Delaware's got a 3 game set coming up in 2010 through 2012 with South Dakota St, so it can be done.

Interesting... I didn't know that. Would be nice to see JMU make it out that direction some time.

GannonFan
January 14th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Interesting... I didn't know that. Would be nice to see JMU make it out that direction some time.

As far as I know, that might be the first time ever that UD will play a regular season home game West of the Mississippi - of course, with 80% of the FCS teams (or there about) East of the Mississippi, and with costs what they are, it doesn't make a lot of sense to travel that far until the playoffs. But it is a 2 for 1 deal, with the Hens getting two home games before heading out to Brookings, SD (and before anyone says, UD's never backed out of a contracted game so I fully expect them to make the trip in 2012).

Gil Dobie
January 14th, 2009, 04:40 PM
We'll see how Cal Poly comes out with their coach. They should still have a good team though.

uofmman1122
January 14th, 2009, 05:53 PM
When was the last time an FCS/I-AA team won the championship without playing a BCS quality FBS team? I know it at least goes back 4 years...I still think that had about as much to do with their winning a championship as what they had for breakfast on Oct. 14th of the season.

Since Montana is...well, to my knowledge, the only Championship caliber team that doesn't schedule FBS games anymore (although, really just for the past two seasons), unless we won it the last two years, you're going to have a team win it whose played an FBS game because every team except Montana plays FBS games. :p

UNI Pike
January 14th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I don't see MT's schedule as a problem. They are playing decent OOC competition in Cal Poly. We are in the same boat in finding OOC opponents, other than the fact that they sell 25K tickets @ $40 (?) a piece versus our 12K @ $26 or less.

Ronbo
January 14th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I don't see MT's schedule as a problem. They are playing decent OOC competition in Cal Poly. We are in the same boat in finding OOC opponents, other than the fact that they sell 25K tickets @ $40 (?) a piece versus our 12K @ $26 or less.

Tickets were $31 a game average in 2008. $215 for 7 games. The difference in our tickets verses other schools is that's the price whether you sit on the 50 or in the end zone. Season tickets are $215 no matter where you sit or what age you are.

GOKATS
January 14th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Tickets were $31 a game average in 2008. $215 for 7 games. The difference in our tickets verses other schools is that's the price whether you sit on the 50 or in the end zone. Season tickets are $215 no matter where you sit or what age you are.

Yea, but where you get to sit is where the check book comes into play.xnodx

NoCoDanny
January 14th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Ft. Lewis was booked I guess, good thing Western State had an opening.

GOKATS
January 14th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Cal Poly would not have to schedule two FBS games if more of your Big Sky mates would step up and play Cal Poly. It was funny that before Ellerson built the program up Sac State and Montana State both had no problem scheduling Cal Poly. Ellerson is gone, how about it Sac State and Montana State?

Personally I'd love to see the CP rotation going again with the Cats, even considering the fact that the Mustangs have had our number lately. So far the Cats have Mich. St. next fall which leaves two OOC games and the AD said recently that the hope is to schedule two FCS teams (the usual schedule includes a DII team). For some reason (AD) MSU is usually late in announcing a schedule, so hopefully we'll know prior to spring ball.xsmiley_wix

Skjellyfetti
January 14th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Aren't all FBS teams "BCS quality" since every one of them can make a BCS game?

I meant teams from conferences with BCS tie-ins. Looks like 2003 was the last time.

slostang
January 14th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Personally I'd love to see the CP rotation going again with the Cats, even considering the fact that the Mustangs have had our number lately. So far the Cats have Mich. St. next fall which leaves two OOC games and the AD said recently that the hope is to schedule two FCS teams (the usual schedule includes a DII team). For some reason (AD) MSU is usually late in announcing a schedule, so hopefully we'll know prior to spring ball.xsmiley_wix

xthumbsupx

mlbowl
January 15th, 2009, 12:15 AM
really? asu has in the past but i bet you cant find one on there last year or this year

I'll take that bet...you played Lenoir-Rhyne last year...and Mars Hill candy bar the year before that....pay up

mlbowl
January 15th, 2009, 12:22 AM
We need to close this thread...our o-line can't defend a spin move....our schedule sucks...we are slow, fat & white....I almost forgot....all of our players are of the lowest moral character...did I miss anything?

grizband
January 15th, 2009, 12:38 AM
We need to close this thread...our o-line can't defend a spin move....our schedule sucks...we are slow, fat & white....I almost forgot....all of our players are of the lowest moral character...did I miss anything?
Yeah, we can't win away from Missoula.

Native
January 15th, 2009, 03:04 AM
If by that you mean play a money game with an FBS team, I'm glad our opinions of "stepping up" are different.

*CoughCalPolyCough*

Cal Poly is losing their top dogs from this year.

Why not step up and play just ONE FBS game?!??

uofmman1122
January 15th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Cal Poly is losing their top dogs from this year.

Why not step up and play just ONE FBS game?!??Again, why? What's so wrong with our schedule this year?

We make enough money with two home OOC games to negate any monetary advantage of going to play an FBS.
Cal Poly always gives us a close game, and it's about the same kind of challenge we'd get from a lower FBS school.
Getting stomped by USC or Oregon accomplishes what, exactly?If this were like our 2007 schedule, where we had seven regular season home games, and our OOC schedule was Albany, Fort Lewis and Southern Utah, I might agree. In that case, an FBS game might be beneficial at least in terms of getting our SOS up.

I'm not against schools playing FBS teams at all. Don't get me wrong. There are benefits.

However, I am against the notion that a schedule is "incomplete" or "weak" without playing one.

wapiti
January 15th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Schedule looks good.
The only demerit is playing a Div II, but that (and ISU) are your only really easy win games.
Good schedule and good to see an OOC FCS as an away game.

nevadagriz
January 15th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Remember Waipitii the Griz went to Poly last year too.

nevadagriz
January 15th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Forgot to add I like the schedule it means three games in my neck of the woods.

JMU Newbill
January 16th, 2009, 07:56 AM

You forgot to mention the part about not being able to win on the road in the playoffs......

JMU Newbill
January 16th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Again, why? What's so wrong with our schedule this year?

We make enough money with two home OOC games to negate any monetary advantage of going to play an FBS.
Cal Poly always gives us a close game, and it's about the same kind of challenge we'd get from a lower FBS school.
Getting stomped by USC or Oregon accomplishes what, exactly?If this were like our 2007 schedule, where we had seven regular season home games, and our OOC schedule was Albany, Fort Lewis and Southern Utah, I might agree. In that case, an FBS game might be beneficial at least in terms of getting our SOS up.

I'm not against schools playing FBS teams at all. Don't get me wrong. There are benefits.

However, I am against the notion that a schedule is "incomplete" or "weak" without playing one.

This may have been touched on already.... but just out of curiousity, has UM ever been in talks with University of Washington? Seems like an FCS vs. FBS match-up that could work out in the FCS's favor, atleast for the time being.

Ronbo
January 16th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I think Washington and USC are two schools that have refused to ever play an FCS team.

R3TRO
January 16th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I can understand USC but Washington sucks testicles.

Ronbo
January 16th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Yeah, they've been bad lately but they still have that elite Pac 10 pride from their past success.

wapiti
January 16th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Remember Waipitii the Griz went to Poly last year too.

Yes, It is good to see another one this year. xthumbsupx

(I am now waiting on the Bobcat's schedule.) I've heard we play Mich St. I hope we avoid anything below Div I with an FBS on the schedule.

JMU DJ
January 16th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I can understand USC but Washington sucks testicles.

No kidding, you figured they'd want to play a game they could win. xlolx

...they're probably scared of actually losing, that would kill any pride that is left in that program

putter
January 16th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Sept. 5 Western State (DII) -- Home
Sept. 12 at UC Davis -- Charter Plane
Sept. 19 Portland State -- Home
Sept. 26 at Northern Arizona -- Charter Plane & Bus 144 miles
Oct. 3 OPEN
Oct. 10 Cal Poly (Homecoming) -- Home
Oct. 17 Eastern Washington -- Home
Oct. 24 at Sacramento State -- Charter Plane
Oct. 31 Weber State -- Home
Nov. 7 at Idaho State -- Bus 363 miles
Nov. 14 Northern Colorado -- Home
Nov. 21 at Montana State -- Bus 199 miles

So, with 5 away games in 2009 the Griz have to pay for 3 charter flights and have over 700 miles to bus to just these games. This is why the Griz play home games. Lots of money spent just travelling in conference.

putter
January 16th, 2009, 02:38 PM
This may have been touched on already.... but just out of curiousity, has UM ever been in talks with University of Washington? Seems like an FCS vs. FBS match-up that could work out in the FCS's favor, atleast for the time being.

When they look at Montana's record over 2 years of 25-3 there is no way either team in Washington will schedule Montana. They may start losing the recruiting battle...xlolx

seattlespider
January 16th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Good luck getting Washington to schedule that game in the next few years (if ever). I think you underestimate just how awful they are. It was brutal out here. Amusing for me, though, because I hate them.

GOKATS
January 16th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Sept. 5 Western State (DII) -- Home
Sept. 12 at UC Davis -- Charter Plane
Sept. 19 Portland State -- Home
Sept. 26 at Northern Arizona -- Charter Plane & Bus 144 miles
Oct. 3 OPEN
Oct. 10 Cal Poly (Homecoming) -- Home
Oct. 17 Eastern Washington -- Home
Oct. 24 at Sacramento State -- Charter Plane
Oct. 31 Weber State -- Home
Nov. 7 at Idaho State -- Bus 363 miles
Nov. 14 Northern Colorado -- Home
Nov. 21 at Montana State -- Bus 199 miles

So, with 5 away games in 2009 the Griz have to pay for 3 charter flights and have over 700 miles to bus to just these games. This is why the Griz play home games. Lots of money spent just travelling in conference.

That might impress someone from back east, but for those in the Big Sky conference, with the the exception of the OOC UCD game, it's the price of being in the Big Sky. One OOC road trip to CA isn't going to break the bank, quit whining.

xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

GrizzlyBill
January 16th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Win your region, you go to the Playoffs. Compare regions that way. Not regular season OOC play.

Being a Griz, I'm loving it these days. I still like playing name teams OOC, and I like the action on this board when Montana plays a Maine or McNeese, etc. I love the test: of our boys, our systems of play, our style of play—BUT, I am against making such a big deal out of regular season OOC games. Seems dumb, to me, to fly at least a hundred people 2000 miles at these fuel prices just for a game—especially since we have plenty competition within half that distance. That's why we have leagues.

Win your league. Win your region. No matter your schedule, just win. It's bull**** about "quality wins" and "strength of schedule." That's all just you guys that like to speculate out loud earlier in the season. Any win is a good win if after the game, you can hold up your head, and you didn't get hurt too bad. The only reason to ever choose to make a tougher schedule is for the fun of the game and to prepare oneself for the Playoffs.

Green26
January 17th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Small point, Putter. The UM charter to NAU in '07 landed in Flagstaff, but left from Phoenix. At that time, the Flagstaff runway expansion was almost done. The runway was lengthened so that large jets could take off from there. While I don't know, I assume charters will now also take off from Flagstaff.

GOKATS
January 17th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Small point, Putter. The UM charter to NAU in '07 landed in Flagstaff, but left from Phoenix. At that time, the Flagstaff runway expansion was almost done. The runway was lengthened so that large jets could take off from there. While I don't know, I assume charters will now also take off from Flagstaff.

I've flown into Flagstaff with the Cats, but we always had to bus down to Phoenix to catch the flight back. To my knowledge that hasn't changed, but it's been awhile. Taking off with a FB team at 7,000 ft. elev. requires a helluva runway and thinking about it I don't know if it's possible where the airport is located. I'll have to check into it.

SeattleGriz
January 17th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Good luck getting Washington to schedule that game in the next few years (if ever). I think you underestimate just how awful they are. It was brutal out here. Amusing for me, though, because I hate them.

Hey Seattlespider! Good to see someone from East out here in crappy Seattle.

Did you see Washington does have one winnable game next year - Idaho! I hate the Huskies as well. Talk about a bunch of all talk, do nothing fans.

EllsworthGriz
January 17th, 2009, 11:40 AM

Who would you like us to play. We have a good Uc Davis on the road, and a power in Cal Poly on the schedule. We could play a FBS school for the money but a home game brings in more money. I hope we can get a home and home with anybody from your conference. i think that would be great for us and yours.

BDKJMU
January 17th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Besides net revenue for the athletic dept (which is huge), another factor for Montana is the significant economic impact of home games on the community. I don't recall the figures, but with the multiplier effect, a home game is worth something like $3-$5 million for the Missoula area. It's important for the community, and for business sponsors and donors, to keep them happy. 5 homes regular season games would not be popular in Missoula, and probably hasn't occurred for decades.

Latest attendance figures I have is 07', Montana avg just under 23k a game. How many of those are students? How many of those live in Missoula/surrounding area? It would seem to me there would be little economic impact if any from those folks since they're there anyway. The economic impact is going to come from folks who drive from far away, stay overnight, eat meals in the restaurants, etc. How many of that 23k would that avg per game? Somewhere between 10-15k? If so for them to have a $3-5 million economic impact that would mean they would have to spend between 200-500 a person. Point is, that 3-5 million economic impact seems a little high to me. I could see maybe 1-2 million.

Also another thing to remember is Montana is going to have to pay the DII opponent coming to Montana, what, somewhere between 50-100k? So Montana is paying that out in lieu of getting a big 400-500k payday by playing a BCS. Thats about 500-600k Montana will have to make up with that game. Would that DII game sellout? If so, how many of those fans are paying fans, (I assume students don't pay?) 16-18K to make up that 500-600k? Just doing the math it would seem like Montana would have to sell tickets at $30-$40 apiece to make it worthwhile to have that home DII game vs a big payday with a BCS.

Even ASU, who avg more fans that Montana, and UD, who has a 21+k stadium and sells out (when they have winning seasonsxsmiley_wix ) play a I-A just about every year.

BDKJMU
January 17th, 2009, 04:13 PM
It obviuosly worked for Montana in 08' as going into the playoffs in I-AA games Montana was 10-1 and the team that I thought should have gotten the #4 seed, Nova, was 9-1 vs I-AA. Nova lost on a hail mary to then #1 JMU, and Montana was handled by Weber. But that extra I-AA win might have been the difference in Montana getting the seed.

Where not playing a I-A and playing a DII could possibly come back to bite Montana in the arse. Say during the 09' regular season, going for the #4 seed"
9-2 Montana, 8 Div I wins, 2 I-AA losses
vs
9-2 CAA/So-Con/MVFC (one or several), 9 Div I wins, 1 I-AA loss

or (going for the 4 seed or higher)
10-1 Montana, 9 Div I wins, 1 I-AA loss
vs
10-1 CAA/So-Con/MVFC, 10 Div I wins, 0 I-AA losses.

Guess who's going to get the #4 seed (or higher) in those scenarios?

grizband
January 17th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Latest attendance figures I have is 07', Montana avg just under 23k a game. How many of those are students? How many of those live in Missoula/surrounding area? It would seem to me there would be little economic impact if any from those folks since they're there anyway. The economic impact is going to come from folks who drive from far away, stay overnight, eat meals in the restaurants, etc. How many of that 23k would that avg per game? Somewhere between 10-15k? If so for them to have a $3-5 million economic impact that would mean they would have to spend between 200-500 a person. Point is, that 3-5 million economic impact seems a little high to me. I could see maybe 1-2 million.

Also another thing to remember is Montana is going to have to pay the DII opponent coming to Montana, what, somewhere between 50-100k? So Montana is paying that out in lieu of getting a big 400-500k payday by playing a BCS. Thats about 500-600k Montana will have to make up with that game. Would that DII game sellout? If so, how many of those fans are paying fans, (I assume students don't pay?) 16-18K to make up that 500-600k? Just doing the math it would seem like Montana would have to sell tickets at $30-$40 apiece to make it worthwhile to have that home DII game vs a big payday with a BCS.

Even ASU, who avg more fans that Montana, and UD, who has a 21+k stadium and sells out (when they have winning seasonsxsmiley_wix ) play a I-A just about every year.
Of the nearly 25,000 seats in Wash-Griz, I believe 18,000 are season tickets, 3500 are students, and the rest are single game (these numbers are not exact). There are numerous Griz fans who travel into Missoula from the region (Seattle, Spokane, Flathead, Butte, Helena, Great Falls, Billings, etc), who do not live in Missoula. Plus, not only does the athletic department make money from the tickets, but think about concessions, parking, programs, etc, that all sell, and sell out. Montana football is a cash cow, so much that it supports other areas of the university, not just the sports teams. Season tickets in Montana start at $25/each, plus the GSA yearly dues required to sit in certain seats (these start at $250/year, and go up from there). Reports have been thrown around that the Griz pull in near a half million per game day, and the local economic impact is around 1 or 2 million.

IABison
January 18th, 2009, 08:01 AM
It obviuosly worked for Montana in 08' as going into the playoffs in I-AA games Montana was 10-1 and the team that I thought should have gotten the #4 seed, Nova, was 9-1 vs I-AA. Nova lost on a hail mary to then #1 JMU, and Montana was handled by Weber. But that extra I-AA win might have been the difference in Montana getting the seed.

Where not playing a I-A and playing a DII could possibly come back to bite Montana in the arse. Say during the 09' regular season, going for the #4 seed"
9-2 Montana, 8 Div I wins, 2 I-AA losses
vs
9-2 CAA/So-Con/MVFC (one or several), 9 Div I wins, 1 I-AA loss

or (going for the 4 seed or higher)
10-1 Montana, 9 Div I wins, 1 I-AA loss
vs
10-1 CAA/So-Con/MVFC, 10 Div I wins, 0 I-AA losses.

Guess who's going to get the #4 seed (or higher) in those scenarios?

You sure have a lot of time to be obsessing about Montana's schedule... xcoolx

Obviously in your scenerio Montana does not get the seed over the other 10-1 team, but how about you make your comparison the same... give EACH team 1 FCS loss:

10-1 Montana, 9 Div I wins, 1 FCS loss, 1 Div II win
vs
9-2 CAA... 8 Div I wins, 1 FCS loss, 1 FBS loss, 1 Div II win

Montana gets the seed. xcoffeex

Montana doesn't NEED to schedule FBS for money, so why would they? Good for them for using the advantages they have when it comes time for playoff positions. xpeacex

Ronbo
January 18th, 2009, 08:04 AM

We averaged 24,500 till the playoffs where 16,000 on Thanksgiving and 20,000 at the Weber game took our average down. We have 20,000 season tickets and 1800 general admission tickets. All those tickets are sold out for the season in August whether the folks show up or not. 21,800 X $31.00 = $675,800 per game. Game expenses run about $150,000 for DII, about $200,000 for FCS OOC games where we pay the team (SUU), and $100,000 for Conference games and home and home series games. This is just ticket sales and does not include Luxury Box revenue, concession sales, and parking revenue.

Net profit should run about $550,000 to $475,000 per game just on summer pre sold tickets.

Not sure what Concessions and Parking nets but it must be in the $50,000 a game neighborhood. We have 48 luxury boxes that rent for $12,500 to $24,000 per season, that nets the University about $150,000 a game.

Take all revenue streams into account and Montana makes in the neighborhood of $675,000 to $750,000 per home game NET.

Here's the reason an ASU doesn't make the cash a Montana does. They get 10,000 free students a game and they have ticket deals. What's a ticket to sit in the grass/mud? What's a ticket for a 10 year old? What's a ticket in the end zone? What does their season ticket cost? Do they have family ticket packages? Montana charges $31.00 no matter where you sit and no matter what age you are, and there are no family package deals. I get into away games in the Big Sky for $8.00 to $20.00.