Oct. 24 Massachusetts *
Oct. 31 at Towson *
Nov. 7 Villanova *
Nov. 14 at Georgetown
Nov. 21 William & Mary *

*=Conference game

mcveyrl
January 13th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Big conference game right out of the gate!

JMU Newbill
January 13th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Bye week before the JMU game.... some would say that's a good thing, some would argue that you might come out sluggish. Personally, I think a bye week before a big game is a big advantage.

Villanova at home will be a huge game too!

bostonspider
January 13th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I like this schedule. Nice bye week before JMU. Good home games versus traditional VA rivals W&M and VMI (119th and 85th meetings respectively) Exciting home match up with likely top 5 team Villanova, and consistently good UMass. A good home opener with Hofstra that UR should be nicely favored in. Good road match ups with ACC "power" Duke, and true CAA power JMU, along with a nice road breather versus Georgetown for the DC alumni to catch an easy viewing, and one versus Towson for the MD Spiders. Really the only game that is too far for the local alums / fans to get to see is Maine, which might even be too far for me in Boston...

mainejeff
January 13th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Really the only game that is too far for the local alums / fans to get to see is Maine, which might even be too far for me in Boston...

Poor baby xrolleyesx......I guess a 4 hour drive is just WAY too far for a casual fan. I can't wait for that game. Hopefully, the Spiders will have a JMU hangover.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 13th, 2009, 06:23 PM
How in the world did Georgetown get Richmond to agree to a home and home? I can't believe the Spiders agreed to a return trip to DC after the two met in Richmond this past year. Georgetown would have trouble getting most PA HS teams to agree to play in that farce of a stadium.

Eight Legger
January 13th, 2009, 06:26 PM
We have a ton of DC alumni, so the G-town game is a good excuse to get them to see us. Many of them may not see us play in Richmond, but they'll come to this game, hopefully.

bostonspider
January 13th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Well I am hoping to talk my cousins who live in Portland into heading up there for the game with me, we will see. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how UR agreed to play Georgetown in DC. From all the pictures I have seen, the stadium looks tiny. My only guess is that UR wanted to give the DC alums, of which there are many, a local game. But come on, Richmond is a little under 2 hours from DC, so you think that the DC locals would make it down to UR Stadium once in a while instead. I like the idea of playing Georgetown, great academic rival of UR's and a relatively easy win, but just not in DC.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 13th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I thought Richmond was going to host Elon this year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 13th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Well I am hoping to talk my cousins who live in Portland into heading up there for the game with me, we will see. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how UR agreed to play Georgetown in DC. From all the pictures I have seen, the stadium looks tiny. My only guess is that UR wanted to give the DC alums, of which there are many, a local game. But come on, Richmond is a little under 2 hours from DC, so you think that the DC locals would make it down to UR Stadium once in a while instead. I like the idea of playing Georgetown, great academic rival of UR's and a relatively easy win, but just not in DC.

A game at Georgetown is not that enjoyable of an experience. First off there is no tailgating since most available parking is located in a parking garage. Secondly the stadium is a disaster. It's nothing but temporary bleachers pieced together with a press box held up scaffolding. The away side might have 700 seats so all those DC Spider alums better get there early. I have to believe the locker rooms and team facilities are subpar as well. I think it would do the Hoyas well if teams refused to play there.

Eight Legger
January 13th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I am really not offended at having to play G-town on the road. Some of our fans were up in arms last year about this too, but I don't get it. It's an easy win, and it's only two hours from home, so what's the big deal? If we were playing Central North Dakota State in a home and home, then I would question it.

As for Elon, they are the first home game in our new stadium in 2010. That is the return game, and that was part of the initial deal when we signed the home and home with them.

JMU Newbill
January 14th, 2009, 06:18 AM
UR could enjoy a fun feeling playing at Georgetown. The feeling of having just as many, if not more, fans at someone elses home stadium.

No... that's not meant to be a shot at UR fans, I am just saying.... it creates a pretty fun atmosphere. And since I am sure you have a ton of alumni in DC, much like any VA school, I don't think it will be a problem to get people out in force!

MacThor
January 14th, 2009, 06:45 AM
I would like to see another smackdown of a SoCon pretender on the schedule, but without the 12-game schedule I guess it'll have to wait. ;)

89Hen
January 14th, 2009, 07:49 AM
A game at Georgetown is not that enjoyable of an experience.
It is for some of us... the 20 minute drive to a I-AA game makes all the rest bearable. xsmiley_wix

LBPop
January 14th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Echoing 89's comments, I have thoroughly enjoyed watching live football, played by true amateurs, even while sitting on tiny, plastic, temporary seats. Why? Because a lousy day at a football game is better than a good day almost any place else. And after the game...you're in Georgetown! It ain't all bad...even if I had to watch my son win 10 games in four seasons.

bluehenbillk
January 14th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Big conference game right out of the gate!

You got that one right! That's a circle the wagons and a measuring stick date, Devlin's 1st game against a CAA opponent & it's the defending champs. The Tub will be rocking, especially if it's a night game. (Got a feeling TV will dictate the start time)

Go...gate
January 14th, 2009, 03:51 PM
It is for some of us... the 20 minute drive to a I-AA game makes all the rest bearable. xsmiley_wix

Well said.

Go...gate
January 14th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Echoing 89's comments, I have thoroughly enjoyed watching live football, played by true amateurs, even while sitting on tiny, plastic, temporary seats. Why? Because a lousy day at a football game is better than a good day almost any place else. And after the game...you're in Georgetown! It ain't all bad...even if I had to watch my son win 10 games in four seasons.

Also well said.

aust42
January 14th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Hopefully Richmond beats Duke and doesn't embarrass the CAA like JMU did last year against them.

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 14th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Bye week before the JMU game.... some would say that's a good thing, some would argue that you might come out sluggish. Personally, I think a bye week before a big game is a big advantage.

I agree with you. Hopefully, we will be able to return the favor that you guys paid us in '08 when you guys were coming off a bye!

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 14th, 2009, 05:49 PM
You got that one right! That's a circle the wagons and a measuring stick date, Devlin's 1st game against a CAA opponent & it's the defending champs. The Tub will be rocking, especially if it's a night game. (Got a feeling TV will dictate the start time)

You are right. We can't wait to see how Pat measures up!

DFW HOYA
January 14th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I have to believe the locker rooms and team facilities are subpar as well. I think it would do the Hoyas well if teams refused to play there.

Locker rooms? Where? xlolx

How would it do them well not to play at home? What, how does going 0-11 help the PL when it's at-large bid time?

If it's so bad, why doesn't Lehigh buy out the game and move it to Goodman?

GannonFan
January 14th, 2009, 09:35 PM

UD's been pretty consistent about just having night games at home in September so I'd be shocked if this game isn't a 6PM time - they can just televise it then. UD's never been one to drastically change game times to suit television and it's not like the television the CAA gets is so significant that it will exert that much pressure.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 14th, 2009, 09:41 PM

How would it do them well not to play at home? What, how does going 0-11 help the PL when it's at-large bid time?

If teams started to refuse to help play at Geogetown maybe they would actually do something. Although that is probably wishful thinking.

You guys really don't have locker rooms? If that's true that's really really sad. It should be mandatory that home teams can provide locker rooms to visiting teams.

bluehenbillk
January 15th, 2009, 06:55 AM
UD's been pretty consistent about just having night games at home in September so I'd be shocked if this game isn't a 6PM time - they can just televise it then. UD's never been one to drastically change game times to suit television and it's not like the television the CAA gets is so significant that it will exert that much pressure.

Just 2 years ago they changed an early-season home game against URI for TV to a 3:30pm game. If they'll do it for URI, why the heck wouldn't they do it for a matchup vs the NC.

GannonFan
January 15th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Just 2 years ago they changed an early-season home game against URI for TV to a 3:30pm game. If they'll do it for URI, why the heck wouldn't they do it for a matchup vs the NC.

Correct you are - forgot about that URI game.

ElonPride
January 15th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I thought Richmond was going to host Elon this year.

I was under the same impression, and as an Elon Alumnus living in Richmond, I was looking forward to it!!!!!

bostonspider
January 15th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Next year ElonPride. On the new field, which you will like it better I am sure than UR Stadium.

jmufan999
January 15th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Hopefully Richmond beats Duke and doesn't embarrass the CAA like JMU did last year against them.

you're right, going undefeated in conference play and reaching the national semifinals is pathetic. you do realize that over the past 5 years or so, the record of FBS vs. FCS teams is something in the 600-90 range, right? but somehow, we were an embarrassment. baffling.

ElonPride
January 15th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Next year ElonPride. On the new field, which you will like it better I am sure than UR Stadium.

Speaking of the new stadium, I hear UR used Rhodes Stadium (Elon) as a model. Did you enjoy the game in our quaint facility?

HoyaMetanoia
January 15th, 2009, 01:16 PM

I would say that the Georgetown football locker room, which is shared with Lacrosse, Cross Country and Track, is worse than 90% of high school locker rooms. That is not hyperbole.

bostonspider
January 15th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Speaking of the new stadium, I hear UR used Rhodes Stadium (Elon) as a model. Did you enjoy the game in our quaint facility?

Wish I could have made it down. From all I have seen your stadium is just fantastic. I hope ours can compare.

GannonFan
January 15th, 2009, 02:59 PM
you're right, going undefeated in conference play and reaching the national semifinals is pathetic. you do realize that over the past 5 years or so, the record of FBS vs. FCS teams is something in the 600-90 range, right? but somehow, we were an embarrassment. baffling.

Well, you guys are 0 for forever when playing FBS teams... xsmiley_wix

ur2k
January 15th, 2009, 07:49 PM

EP - me and my crew that made it down there were very happy after our game that UR visited Elon as an example before beginning to build our stadium. I thought it was a fantastic facility.

Rumor is that you guys will open our new stadium in 2010.

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 15th, 2009, 07:57 PM

Even I know that the Delaware fans are jacking you up because of Longhorn's comments after the UD/ASU championship game last year. Its part of the regular playbook now. Get with the program ... and Lighten up!

apaladin
January 15th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Wish I could have made it down. From all I have seen your stadium is just fantastic. I hope ours can compare.

The UR stadium will be even quainter, won't it? 4500 seats? Don't see why UR would agree to play at Georgetown. I said the same thing when Furman went to Gardner-Webb a few years ago. Then again GW's stadium looks like the Rose Bowl compared to Georgetown's!

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 15th, 2009, 09:16 PM
The UR stadium will be even quainter, won't it? 4500 seats? Don't see why UR would agree to play at Georgetown. I said the same thing when Furman went to Gardner-Webb a few years ago. Then again GW's stadium looks like the Rose Bowl compared to Georgetown's!

How many does furman seat, 8 or 9 thousand? Did Mars Hill travel well?

Eight Legger
January 15th, 2009, 09:43 PM

Actually, construction on our new stadium began last month and was finished last week. There are only 400 seats. We will give the opposing team 11 seats, and since we only have 118 season ticket holders, there will be approximately 271 tickets available for sale to the general public. We can't wait for it to open!!

spdram
January 16th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Actually, construction on our new stadium began last month and was finished last week. There are only 400 seats. We will give the opposing team 11 seats, and since we only have 118 season ticket holders, there will be approximately 271 tickets available for sale to the general public. We can't wait for it to open!!

Eight, actually you must have missed the last order entered by Hiz Hona just before he left office. He couldn't take UR outdrawing his alma mata VUU so he reduced our seating to 200. I understand in response JM said we will limit the season ticket sales to the current 118, each player will be given only 1 ticket per home game for 63 more, 18 will go to staff, administration and University dignitaries leaving only one ticket for the opposition. He reportedly was checking the NCAA rules to see if he could eliminate that so there would be at least one ticket to sell to the general public. xsmiley_wix

BTW he also said in the future playoff tickets would be $1000 each, but the University would sell the players their tickets at a discounted price of $500 each. Couldn't go too low or we might have some riff raff trying to show up at our games. xwhistlex

terrierbob
January 16th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I like this schedule. Nice bye week before JMU. Good home games versus traditional VA rivals W&M and VMI (119th and 85th meetings respectively) Exciting home match up with likely top 5 team Villanova, and consistently good UMass. A good home opener with Hofstra that UR should be nicely favored in. Good road match ups with ACC "power" Duke, and true CAA power JMU, along with a nice road breather versus Georgetown for the DC alumni to catch an easy viewing, and one versus Towson for the MD Spiders. Really the only game that is too far for the local alums / fans to get to see is Maine, which might even be too far for me in Boston...

When is last time VMI won?

spdram
January 16th, 2009, 09:10 AM
In 1996 we went 2-9 and VMI beat us 20-7. What a banner season for us.

bostonspider
January 16th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Well UR has won 7 straight over the Keydets, but I am not sure if we have played them every year..

ElonPride
January 16th, 2009, 10:54 AM
EP - me and my crew that made it down there were very happy after our game that UR visited Elon as an example before beginning to build our stadium. I thought it was a fantastic facility.

Rumor is that you guys will open our new stadium in 2010.

Glad you had a good trip down! As far as attendance, that was our 2nd biggest home game of the year! UR fans did travel pretty well, and I expect a healthy contingent of Elon fans to come to your place. Elon has a good number of alumni here in Richmond.

apaladin
January 16th, 2009, 05:42 PM
How many does furman seat, 8 or 9 thousand? Did Mars Hill travel well?

Paladin Stadium seats 16,000 and that is actual seats, unlike Wofford who claims capacity of 13,000 but actually has only 8,250 seats. Mars Hill did travel well but you won't see FU going to MH. Although we do have a return game at PC(ugh) in a few years after they come to FU four or five times ina row.

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 17th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Paladin Stadium seats 16,000 and that is actual seats, unlike Wofford who claims capacity of 13,000 but actually has only 8,250 seats. Mars Hill did travel well but you won't see FU going to MH. Although we do have a return game at PC(ugh) in a few years after they come to FU four or five times ina row.

I knew Furman's capacity. I have actually been there before. Nice Stadium. I just wanted to see if you minded my 50% exaggeration like you did regarding our on-campus facility.

apaladin
January 17th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I knew Furman's capacity. I have actually been there before. Nice Stadium. I just wanted to see if you minded my 50% exaggeration like you did regarding our on-campus facility.

Sorry, I thought on one of the drawings it said 4500. So your new stadium will seat about 9,000? That seems more reasonable. BTW, what are the plans for the old stadium?

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 18th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Sorry, I thought on one of the drawings it said 4500. So your new stadium will seat about 9,000? That seems more reasonable. BTW, what are the plans for the old stadium?

No idea what the city wants to do with the old stadium. It is theirs. There was some talk about demolishing the place and putting up condos.

You may have been confused because I think the home side of the new stadium has 4500 seats.

aust42
January 18th, 2009, 09:35 AM

That's what makes it embarrassing. You went undefeated in Conf play, reached the national semi's but got whupped 31-7 by a horrible Duke football program. I was bragging about how JMU was gonna whip Duke to a Duke grad buddy of mine and talking about how the top 1AA programs were as good as half the 1A teams and you guys got slaughtered. xsmhx

The 1AA vs 1A record is so lopsided b/c 90% of those games are scheduled for money and are not winnable. But Duke is a very winnable game. Richmond beat them 13-0 in 2006, hopefully they'll beat them again. If the defending 1AA champ cannot beat Duke that would be even more embarrassing.

By the way good luck against Maryland next year. I might go to that game.

Tribe4SF
January 18th, 2009, 10:13 AM
That's what makes it embarrassing. You went undefeated in Conf play, reached the national semi's but got whupped 31-7 by a horrible Duke football program. I was bragging about how JMU was gonna whip Duke to a Duke grad buddy of mine and talking about how the top 1AA programs were as good as half the 1A teams and you guys got slaughtered. xsmhx

The 1AA vs 1A record is so lopsided b/c 90% of those games are scheduled for money and are not winnable. But Duke is a very winnable game. Richmond beat them 13-0 in 2006, hopefully they'll beat them again. If the defending 1AA champ cannot beat Duke that would be even more embarrassing.

I wouldn't describe the 2008 Duke team as horrible. They beat two bowl teams, and played four others very tough. Their program is on the rise.

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 18th, 2009, 10:43 AM

We're going to give it our best shot, but I think you shouldn't get embarassed so easily.

spiderman87
January 18th, 2009, 11:25 AM

There is also talk that VCU might have a go at adding a football program, and buy the stadium from the city and re-vamp it. But I don't think that will ever happen.

spdram
January 18th, 2009, 11:52 AM
If VCU starts football they are more likely to modify Sportsbacker Stadium on the Blvd. That is where they currently have their soccer/track complex. The field is large enough and would require few modifications, I think it seats about 3,500 now but has room for expansion. Parking is present with few residential neighbors to disrupt. Also it was announced last week VCU is working with the developers to crete a new indoor tennis complex at the site of the current Arthur Ashe Center which is part of the same complex.

apaladin
January 18th, 2009, 07:20 PM
The 1AA vs 1A record is so lopsided b/c 90% of those games are scheduled for money and are not winnable.

This is very true. Now that FBS teams can count a FCS win toward bowl eligibility the FBS'ers are just scheduling wins. Before you would never see the Charleston Southerns of the world on FBS schedules. Not long ago there were only 35 to 40 FCS vs FBS games a year, now there are easily twice that many which means that all of these added games are not winnable. I remenber that not long ago the FCS teams would average winning about 20-25 percent a year.

paward
January 18th, 2009, 09:15 PM
This is very true. Now that FBS teams can count a FCS win toward bowl eligibility the FBS'ers are just scheduling wins. Before you would never see the Charleston Southerns of the world on FBS schedules. Not long ago there were only 35 to 40 FCS vs FBS games a year, now there are easily twice that many which means that all of these added games are not winnable. I remenber that not long ago the FCS teams would average winning about 20-25 percent a year.

As I hate to get off thread, FBS vs FCS does help the FCS budget. However when the FCS team does win it is a great feeling and site to behold. The FBS team should win the odds are stacked in their favor but it is not a sure thing. I have a new name for it "App/Mich" theory. Simply put do not count it as an automatic win until the clock ticks 00:00.

apaladin
January 18th, 2009, 09:46 PM
As I hate to get off thread, FBS vs FCS does help the FCS budget. However when the FCS team does win it is a great feeling and site to behold.

Yes it is for sure: :) xnodx :) xnodx

Furman 17 NC State 13
Furman 28 South Carolina 23
Furamn 34 NC State 30
Furman 42 NC State 20
Furman 17 Ga. Tech 14
Furman 28 North Carolina 3

Syntax Error
January 18th, 2009, 09:53 PM
The 1AA vs 1A record...xeyebrowx What is that??? You mean FCS vs. FBS, or historically, I-AA vs. I-A (pre 2006).