PDA

View Full Version : Northern Iowa 2009 Schedule Discussion

PantherRob82
January 12th, 2009, 03:40 PM
at Iowa
South Dakota

MVFC

We are currently at 5 home games.

Word is we cannot get anyone to come here for the 6th. My response to that was "have you tried Dayton?" They said they've tried everyone.

Possibly have to go on the road for a beginning of a home and home.

McNeese, you guys have an open date? :D

McNeeserocket
January 12th, 2009, 05:28 PM
at Iowa
South Dakota

MVFC

We are currently at 5 home games.

Word is we cannot get anyone to come here for the 6th. My response to that was "have you tried Dayton?" They said they've tried everyone.

Possibly have to go on the road for a beginning of a home and home.

McNeese, you guys have an open date? :D

McNeese can no longer entertain going to Northern Iowa in 2009. We have finished our schedule for both 2009 and 2010.

We can try for 2011! Personally I would love to set up a home and home deal with Northern Iowa. McNeese and Northern Iowa used to play a lot back in the 90's. Let's do it again!

achrist70
January 12th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Lets try and get USC to come to the dome!xlolx

But seriously I think that Drake should be forced into the dome, how in the hell or should I say why in the hell did we have to play there twice and they only came here once, I mean were UNI and their drake.

yorkcountyUNHfan
January 12th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Are you sure they called EVERYONE?xsmiley_wix

achrist70
January 12th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Are you sure they called EVERYONE?xsmiley_wix

If you are insinuating that New Hampshire should come to the Dome I don't think that your administrators would go for it, and besides we are only able to play in the playoffs. It would just be too much excitement for a regular season game!

yorkcountyUNHfan
January 12th, 2009, 06:07 PM
If you are insinuating that New Hampshire should come to the Dome I don't think that your administrators would go for it, and besides we are only able to play in the playoffs. It would just be too much excitement for a regular season game!

Some of us just got home last week

PantherRob82
January 12th, 2009, 06:10 PM

But seriously I think that Drake should be forced into the dome, how in the hell or should I say why in the hell did we have to play there twice and they only came here once, I mean were UNI and their drake.

We went for it because we are trying to get in touch with Des Moines alum.

PantherRob82
January 12th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I was told EVERYONE. But no one would come here. Not sure who we have for takers on a home and home with us going there first.

This IS similar to what I was told last year about this time and we got Nicholls State at home.

UNI Pike
January 12th, 2009, 06:14 PM
No one will come for the price / terms we are offering. Have a reverse auction on ebay or something with all of the PFL teams.

PantherRob82
January 12th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Sounds like the PFL isn't biting. Probably realize it would ruin thier chance to cry foul when they run through the PFL, a D-II, D-III and NAIA team.

achrist70
January 12th, 2009, 07:18 PM
We went for it because we are trying to get in touch with Des Moines alum.

I guess that makes sense, but I think that most Alums that live in the Des Moines area make it to the dome if they want to. Have we tried DII, Minnesota Duluth would be decent team.

crunifan
January 12th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I'm fine with going to Drake if we need to. It's pretty much a sure win yet counts towards DI wins. Plus, essentially a home game. We usually match what Drake brings. We should really play them every year as opposed to DII schools.

Eight Legger
January 12th, 2009, 10:55 PM
We'd love to come back to the Dome, where we are undefeated all-time. Too bad our schedule is already full! :D

BearsCountry
January 12th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I'm fine with going to Drake if we need to. It's pretty much a sure win yet counts towards DI wins. Plus, essentially a home game. We usually match what Drake brings. We should really play them every year as opposed to DII schools.

Heck I wouldnt mind playing Drake every year. At least our fan base knows about them plus keep the money in the conference sort of.

crunifan
January 13th, 2009, 12:38 AM
We'd love to come back to the Dome, where we are undefeated all-time. Too bad our schedule is already full! :D

Don't remind me! xsmhx

We'd love to have you guys back, too. Maybe this time we won't completely self-destruct.

DetroitFlyer
January 13th, 2009, 07:26 AM

Everyone knows that on so many levels, Drake as a university is far superior to what is it, UNI? Is that in Iowa or Illinois?xlolx

As for Dayton playing UNI, I would be all for it, but I would prefer Youngstown State for many reasons.

nmatsen
January 13th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Either way, you lose. Big.

DetroitFlyer
January 13th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Either way, you lose. Big.

Any given Saturday.... Dayton would have defeated YSU in 2007. In 2008,it would have been a competitive game due to Dayton's inconsistency at QB. We both played Division II Central State, and both margins of victory were similar.

As for UNI, in 2007 Dayton would have given you everything you could handle. In 2008, our defense would have kept us in the game, but we did not have the horsepower on offense to win IMHO. Still, it would have been much more competitive than your recent games with Drake.

Dayton does not do money games. We only play home / home series. We game Fordham a two for one, but they are a fellow A10 member and a fellow Catholic university. If UNI wants to play Dayton, you would probably have to be willing to come down to Welcome Stadium for a return game. This is exactly what is reported to have kept YSU off our schedule, (they are reported to be unwilling to come to Dayton for a return game). Bummer! I understand why some teams play money games, but I admire my Flyers for sticking to their guns.

TCisMYhero
January 13th, 2009, 08:48 AM
You do realize that we had possibly our best team ever in 07...? We would've beaten you by 35. On the road. If not more.

achrist70
January 13th, 2009, 08:51 AM
You do realize that we had possibly our best team ever in 08? We would've beaten you by 35. On the road. If not more.

Thats if we take the starters out after the first quarter!:D

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 13th, 2009, 10:37 AM
GSU might still be looking for its 11th game. Have your people call Sam Baker.

smcwildcat
January 13th, 2009, 10:47 AM
UNH is still looking.....mcdonnell hates iowa though we need 2 games actually one after our FBS

ysubigred
January 13th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Any given Saturday.... Dayton would have defeated YSU in 2007. In 2008,it would have been a competitive game due to Dayton's inconsistency at QB. We both played Division II Central State, and both margins of victory were similar.

xboringx xblahblahx xhomerx LOL!! The only way Daytime could beat YSU in football is if we would put the Basketball team in pads. xnonono2x

xbandwagonx Like Dayton deserved a playoff shot in 07 xbabycryx

xdizzyx

RabidRabbit
January 13th, 2009, 12:12 PM
GSU might still be looking for its 11th game. Have your people call Sam Baker.

Ga Southern plays SDSU at Brookings in 09, and owes NDSU a return trip that was postponed due to Samford joining the SoCon in 08.

How about UND, or UC-Davis?

PantherRob82
January 13th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I guess that makes sense, but I think that most Alums that live in the Des Moines area make it to the dome if they want to. Have we tried DII, Minnesota Duluth would be decent team.

We need to avoid DIIs.

PantherRob82
January 13th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Everyone knows that on so many levels, Drake as a university is far superior to what is it, UNI? Is that in Iowa or Illinois?xlolx

As for Dayton playing UNI, I would be all for it, but I would prefer Youngstown State for many reasons.

Drake is superioir? I never knew that. It's almost like they're a private school. xeekx

PantherRob82
January 13th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I'll take playing Dayton in that high school stadium. I lived in Dayton for a short time. I'm not sure that where we play the game changes the outcome at all. Wish you guys would play a real team so you'd stop running your mouth. :D

clenz
January 13th, 2009, 01:18 PM
I wouldn't mind heading to Drake for a game, as long as it was a night game or late afternoon game.

TCisMYhero
January 13th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Is Dayton still a college? I thought they closed that dump anyways....?

Woody Hayes
January 13th, 2009, 10:47 PM
How cool would Georgia Southern be in the Dome....I would love to have Dayton come to the Dome! We could bring in an all star team from the local high schools to play them. Then we could play Georgia Southern. They are minor league for a reason.

yorkcountyUNHfan
January 14th, 2009, 06:57 AM
UNH is still looking.....mcdonnell hates iowa though we need 2 games actually one after our FBS

At what point does UNH give up on an FBS game and start looking for another FCS?

UNI Pike
January 14th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I would love to see on ongoing series of home & home games UNI vs CAA teams. I am sure travel costs would kill, but it would be great to see quality OOC opponents during the regular season.

slostang
January 14th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Cal Poly only has 10 games under contract, 6 away and 4 home and they are looking for a fifth home game. If UNI was willing to travel in 2009 I am sure Cal Poly would be open to traveling in 2010.

crunifan
January 14th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Cal Poly only has 10 games under contract, 6 away and 4 home and they are looking for a fifth home game. If UNI was willing to travel in 2009 I am sure Cal Poly would be open to traveling in 2010.

That would be great, I would love to see that happen. When was the last time UNI and Cal Poly met? Around 2001, right?

slostang
January 14th, 2009, 07:52 PM
That would be great, I would love to see that happen. When was the last time UNI and Cal Poly met? Around 2001, right?

2002, and it was a great game. UNI won in triple overtime 29-26 in SLO.

ValleyChamp
January 14th, 2009, 09:06 PM

As for UNI, in 2007 Dayton would have given you everything you could handle. In 2008, our defense would have kept us in the game, but we did not have the horsepower on offense to win IMHO. Still, it would have been much more competitive than your recent games with Drake.

Dayton does not do money games. We only play home / home series. We game Fordham a two for one, but they are a fellow A10 member and a fellow Catholic university. If UNI wants to play Dayton, you would probably have to be willing to come down to Welcome Stadium for a return game. This is exactly what is reported to have kept YSU off our schedule, (they are reported to be unwilling to come to Dayton for a return game). Bummer! I understand why some teams play money games, but I admire my Flyers for sticking to their guns.

I'm going to assume all of that was sarcastic. If not, you are just really really drunk.

Every year this happens to UNI. Nobody ever wants to come play in the Dome. I wish it was Dayton or Drake. I really do not see the benefit of playing top notch FCS teams out of conference though. Schedule some games that you can easily win and then play the tough teams during conference play. The goal is to get into the playoffs. We don't have to play top ten teams out of conference to beef up our resume for the BCS or something. Just get your wins, get into the playoffs and you have a chance.

Thundar
January 14th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Ga Southern plays SDSU at Brookings in 09, and owes NDSU a return trip that was postponed due to Samford joining the SoCon in 08.

How about UND, or UC-Davis?

It sounds like 2011 will be the GSU return game!

clenz
January 14th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I know we are at NDSU October 11

PantherRob82
January 14th, 2009, 09:34 PM

I don't know if travel costs would kill this game or not. also don't know about matching dates.

Only issue is, I think 2010 is locked up. I want to say I heard we couldn't take the return until 2012.

2010 we have :
@ Iowa State
@ South Dakota
and
?

crunifan
January 14th, 2009, 09:58 PM
At South Dakota? Eww...

Big Al
January 14th, 2009, 10:01 PM
At South Dakota? Eww...

Not bad when you consider it's a 2 home, 1 away deal.

PantherRob82
January 14th, 2009, 10:24 PM
2 for 1 and it will be nice to play on the road somewhere that is a decent trip, but not TOO far away.

UNI Pike
January 15th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Its going to be like playing at the UNIDOME, expect with more UNI fans in attendance...

Big Al
January 15th, 2009, 09:03 AM
2 for 1 and it will be nice to play on the road somewhere that is a decent trip, but not TOO far away.

Exactly. I think it will be very good for UNI in the longterm that the 4 Dakota schools have moved to D-I. It's in everyone's interests to develop some regular OOC games.

PantherRob82
January 15th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I have no problems doing home and homes with the Dakotas, EIU, and Drake. Would prefer 2 for 1s with Drake, and maybe the XDs.

clenz
January 15th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I would take a 2-1 with Drake real fast, as long as they do count as a D1 win...

PantherRob82
January 15th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I would take a 2-1 with Drake real fast, as long as they do count as a D1 win...

Exactly. No matter where that game is played, it's a win.

Big Al
January 15th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Would prefer 2 for 1s with Drake, and maybe the XDs.

I agree with Drake, but with the XDs being in the Great West and now count as a D-I win, I think home&home deals are now appropriate. Much better than a home&home with SUU.

If they're w/in bus range, I say it should be a priority to get one on the schedule every year.

PantherRob82
January 15th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I agree with Drake, but with the XDs being in the Great West and now count as a D-I win, I think home&home deals are now appropriate. Much better than a home&home with SUU.

If they're w/in bus range, I say it should be a priority to get one on the schedule every year.

That's why I said maybe. For sure USD as they are definitely a bus trip IMO, but I don't know about UND.

Big Al
January 15th, 2009, 04:11 PM
8 hours or 530 miles to Grand Forks from Cedar Falls.

PantherRob82
January 15th, 2009, 04:29 PM
8 hours or 530 miles to Grand Forks from Cedar Falls.

I like USD better.

clenz
January 15th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I like USD better.
Me too. My home town is about an hour and a half from both USD and SDSU. Slightly out of the way for a trip to USD, but not really for a SDSU game.

PantherRob82
January 15th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Me too. My home town is about an hour and a half from both USD and SDSU. Slightly out of the way for a trip to USD, but not really for a SDSU game.

and if we continued a home and home after the current USD contract we would alternate between USD and SDSU. Good western Iowa exposure

clenz
January 15th, 2009, 09:32 PM
UNI needs exposure on that side of the state. There is a ton of talent on that half of the state that ends up going to a lower level because they don't get offers from UNI, Iowa, ISU. Or they go to USD or SDSU. If UNI could get their hands on some of these kids and get a hold on the talent, SDSU and USD would suffer big time

PantherRob82
January 15th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Playing Iowa State, South Dakota, South Dakota St would be nice.

Gil Dobie
January 16th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Looking forward to seeing UNI in the Fargodome this fall. xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
January 16th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Looking forward to seeing UNI in the Fargodome this fall. xthumbsupx

i agree! xthumbsupx If we're lucky we'll see Gil, too!

Gil Dobie
January 16th, 2009, 10:49 AM
i agree! xthumbsupx If we're lucky we'll see Gil, too!

Maybe the Bill & Jeff will show up too. xlolx