PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Season in Full Effect, National Letter of Intent Basics

CSN-info
January 12th, 2009, 09:25 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=recruiting-season-in-full-effect-nationa&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
As we quickly approach National Signing Day for the upcoming 2009/2010 season on February 4, let’s take a brief refresher look at the National Letter of Intent (NLI), the binding attendance and aid contract between an eligible prospective student-athlete and their college.

Signing Dates For Prospective Student-Athletes Enrolling in the 2009-2010 Academic Year
Football (Midyear JC Transfer), December 17, 2008 - January 15, 2009
Football (Regular Period), February 4, 2009 - April 1, 2009

Read more ... http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=recruiting-season-in-full-effect-nationa&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Syntax Error
January 12th, 2009, 09:40 AM
All the verbals in the world don't mean a thing.
The National Letter of Intent program does not recognize verbal commitments. It is not uncommon for a student to verbally commit to one institution and subsequently sign a National Letter of Intent with another institution. And, on some occasions, a university may accept your verbal commitment and later offer the National Letter of Intent to another prospective student-athlete.

DetroitFlyer
January 12th, 2009, 01:45 PM

They do in the PFL.

Syntax Error
January 12th, 2009, 01:50 PM
They do in the PFL.Then I verbally commit to the University of Dayton. Try and hold me to that! xlolx

813Jag
January 12th, 2009, 02:26 PM
True, kids change their minds lots of times before signing, that's why I don't really get excited untill that LOI is at my school.

Franks Tanks
January 12th, 2009, 02:43 PM
They do in the PFL.

PFL players also dont sign a Letter of Intent

Syntax Error
January 12th, 2009, 03:00 PM
PFL players also dont sign a Letter of IntentBetter tell them that: http://www.national-letter.org/

Franks Tanks
January 12th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Better tell them that: http://www.national-letter.org/

Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the assumption that letter of intents were only used when scholarships are offered. They is essense are a contrcat of the scholarship acceptance. The Ivy league and service academics do not use to LOI because they are not offering an athletic scholarship. Dayton and San Diego certainly use the LOI for B-ball and other programs, but I do not believe they would use one for football as no "scholarship contrcat" is being accepted.

It also says this on the site "When you sign the National Letter of Intent you agree to attend for one academic year the institution listed on the Letter in exchange for that institution awarding athletics financial aid for one academic year." So no athletic aid being offered = no LOI

danefan
January 12th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the assumption that letter of intents were only used when scholarships are offered. They is essense are a contrcat of the scholarship acceptance. The Ivy league and service academics do not use to LOI because they are not offering an athletic scholarship. Dayton and San Diego certainly use the LOI for B-ball and other programs, but I do not believe they would use one for football as no "scholarship contrcat" is being accepted.

That is true.

Prior to scholarships, the NEC did not use them either.

Franks Tanks
January 12th, 2009, 03:23 PM
That is true.

Prior to scholarships, the NEC did not use them either.

Come to think of it the Patriot League schools do not use a true letter of intent either I believe. We do provide a document to sign that is a financial aid contrcat, but I do not believe it is the official LOI as our situation in unique and probably calls for a contrcat with alternate language.

Syntax Error
January 12th, 2009, 03:24 PM

It also says this on the site "When you sign the National Letter of Intent you agree to attend for one academic year the institution listed on the Letter in exchange for that institution awarding athletics financial aid for one academic year." So no athletic aid being offered = no LOIyes, it looks like that website forgot about the PFL, FCS' only true non-aid league.

danefan
January 12th, 2009, 04:46 PM
yes, it looks like that website forgot about the PFL, FCS' only true non-aid league.

What is the Ivy league? Ivy's have the same financial structure as the PFL.....they just have more money to give out, right?

Husky Alum
January 12th, 2009, 08:19 PM
In hoops, there's a "Gentleman's Agreement" in the CAA (it may even be in writing somewhere but I can't find it) that member institutions are prohibited from offering scholarships to a student athlete, if that student athlete gave a verbal commitment to another CAA member institution.

I remember our former head coach (Everhart, he's now at Duquesne) would get kids to verbal to NU when we first joined the CAA for that reason.

I'm not sure such an agreement exists for CAA football.

401ks
January 12th, 2009, 08:28 PM
yes, it looks like that website forgot about the PFL, FCS' only true non-aid league.

I keep reading statements like this, even on the PFL's own website! xoopsx

How is it that people forget about the Ivy League? The Ivy and PFL financial aid packages are identical (except as danefan points out, that the Ivy packages might be a little richer).

Syntax Error
January 13th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I keep reading statements like this, even on the PFL's own website! xoopsx

How is it that people forget about the Ivy League? The Ivy and PFL financial aid packages are identical (except as danefan points out, that the Ivy packages might be a little richer).Does the Ivy League allow a football player to have a scholarship in another sport?

Cooper
January 13th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Does the Ivy League allow a football player to have a scholarship in another sport?

No. Nor does it allow you to play one sport if you are professional in another. That's why Chris Young had to give up basketball after he signed a pro baseball contract and why Olympic speedskater Joey Cheek couldn't even play sprint/lightweight football at Princeton.

Franks Tanks
January 13th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Does the Ivy League allow a football player to have a scholarship in another sport?

The Ivy league does not give athletic scholarships is any sport. The Ivy league does not sponsor a few sports however- such as Hockey and Wrestling- and I believe some Ivy league schools do give athletic scholarships in sports not sponsored by the Ivy League.

DetroitFlyer
January 13th, 2009, 07:38 AM

Wow, let's reach for any tidbit that just might demonstrate that the Ivy League's aid is really not the same as the PFL....

Get over it! The Ivy League and the PFL's aid system is essentially identical. Maybe the Ivy League has more money, but they also have the Academic Index, (AI). The PFL does not have an AI. The PFL gets players that also consider Ivy schools. Many choose to stay "home" to play in front of friends and family. Some may have the 3.9 or 4.0 GPA, but might be just a bit low on test scores..... The bottom line is that PFL schools enjoy success recruiting against all FCS conferences for a variety of reasons, including the Ivy League.

It is far past time that this community stop working so hard to point out the "differences" in the PFL versus the rest of FCS and simply look at the PFL as any other FCS conference. That "reality" is already pretty much in place for the Ivy League, the PFL shoud be no different.

Franks Tanks
January 13th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Wow, let's reach for any tidbit that just might demonstrate that the Ivy League's aid is really not the same as the PFL....

Get over it! The Ivy League and the PFL's aid system is essentially identical. Maybe the Ivy League has more money, but they also have the Academic Index, (AI). The PFL does not have an AI. The PFL gets players that also consider Ivy schools. Many choose to stay "home" to play in front of friends and family. Some may have the 3.9 or 4.0 GPA, but might be just a bit low on test scores..... The bottom line is that PFL schools enjoy success recruiting against all FCS conferences for a variety of reasons, including the Ivy League.

It is far past time that this community stop working so hard to point out the "differences" in the PFL versus the rest of FCS and simply look at the PFL as any other FCS conference. That "reality" is already pretty much in place for the Ivy League, the PFL shoud be no different.

Well that is quite a difference is it not. Does any PFL institution offer free tuition to accepted applicants whose parents make under a certain amount, and pro-rate tuition based on income? Many Ivy's do this and they are quickly becoming the best buy in higher education for athletes and non-athletes.