PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Payton?

TexasTerror
November 20th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Well, the season, atleast the regular season is over...and what are your thoughts on whom should win the Payton?

How did Travis Lulay QBing his team to victory against Montana aid his chances? Was getting his team the BSC championship enough for Erik Meyer?

Joe Rubin kept running the ball and kept getting yards this year. Where does he rank? Is he the #1 RB, but perhaps not the #1 vote-getter for the Payton?

Did Barrick Nealy's 12 of 30 for 118 passing day hurt his chances? Those two fumbles not beneficial either?

Is Bruce Eugene that good? Or is Coach Spears just running up the score on weak opponents by continuing the passing onslaught late?

FlyYtown
November 20th, 2005, 10:44 AM
ARKEE WHITLOCK

Bobcat94
November 20th, 2005, 10:47 AM
I'm just gald you mention Barrick!!! That's pretty cool to see.

Seriously thanks for listing him in that four. I'd say there is pretty good company at the top of that award.....

Shameless plug for the bobcat.....

He did have over 150 yards rushing for the second straight game and if some catches are made the percentage increases to better than 50% with possibly over 200 yards passing.

Mr. C
November 20th, 2005, 10:52 AM
For me, the top candidates are QBs. Richie Williams (look at more than the stats), Erik Meyer, Travis Lulay, Ricky Santos, Ingle Martin. I might put Nick Hartigan of Brown (NCAA rushing leader) on my ballot instead of one of the QBs.

EWURanger
November 20th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Erik Meyer

ChickenMan
November 20th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Who can top UNH's Ricky Santos...

http://www.unhwildcats.com/imgs/football/200s/santos4.jpg

Santos passing... 286 - 406... 70%... for 3554 yrds... 37 TDs... 9 INTs

Santos rushing... 350 yrds and 10 TDs

QB'd his team to a 10-1 record... an A10 title and #1 poll ranking

anyone have a better candidate...???

Mr. C
November 20th, 2005, 11:05 AM
The Payton is about more than numbers

EWURanger
November 20th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Name Team G QBRat Att Comp Pct Yds Y/G Y/A TD Int
Erik Meyer EWU 11 169.9 367 244 66.5 3616 328.7 9.9 26 5

ISUMatt
November 20th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Laurent Robinson!!

ChickenMan
November 20th, 2005, 11:12 AM

well there is the 10-1 record along with the A10 title and the #1 seed in the playoffs... :rolleyes:

EverTrue07
November 20th, 2005, 11:34 AM
I might put Nick Hartigan of Brown (NCAA rushing leader) on my ballot instead of one of the QBs.

Though I'm biased (see the avatar), I'm hoping balloters look to Hartigan. In addition to leading the NCAA in rushing he set new Ivy league records for most touchdowns in a career (54), most rushing touchdowns in a career (52), and most points scored in a Career (324), along with third most rushing yards in a career (4400+). He's led Brown to it's first outright Ivy Championship. And if Ivies participated in football playoffs, Brown would give any other team in the bracket a run for its money.

shakdaddy3
November 20th, 2005, 11:45 AM
The best WR in the nation... Laurent Robinson! If you haven't seen the kid play, then you are missing flowetry in motion... smooooooooth player.

86 Catches
1465 Yds
12 TDs
17.03 Yds/Catch
133.18 Yds/Gm

Broke a bunch of Gateway records this year... looking to smash them next year

Pantherpower
November 20th, 2005, 11:49 AM
You know, where the Hell is Eric Sanders in all of this Payton talk? He is LEADING THE NATION in pass efficiency and more importantly has resurrected the Panthers upon his return from injury and led them to the playoffs with 4 consecutive wins the first three of which were against the #11, #6 and #3 teams in the country at that time on a bum wheel. The kid just broke the ALL-TIME Gateway single season
record for pass efficiency and over 2 seasons has ONE FREAKING LOSS when starting and finishing a game against I-AA competition!!!!!!!! That loss was his first start last year against WKU. Whoever determines the finalists for the Payton have absolutely, positively missed it by not including this kid. He is a born winner. :nod:

Amend your candidate list and add one of the best QB's in the nation, Eric Sanders!!!

shakdaddy3
November 20th, 2005, 11:55 AM
You know, where the Hell is Eric Sanders in all of this Payton talk? He is LEADING THE NATION in pass efficiency and more importantly has resurrected the Panthers upon his return from injury and led them to the playoffs with 4 consecutive wins the first three of which were against the #11, #6 and #3 teams in the country at that time on a bum wheel. The kid just broke the ALL-TIME Gateway single season
record for pass efficiency and over 2 seasons has ONE FREAKING LOSS when starting and finishing a game against I-AA competition!!!!!!!! That loss was his first start last year against WKU. Whoever determines the finalists for the Payton have absolutely, positively missed it by not including this kid. He is a born winner. :nod:

Amend your candidate list and add one of the best QB's in the nation, Eric Sanders!!!
The only thing I would hold against Sanders is that he didn't play the whole season. That isn't his fault obviously, but I'd say that's a drawback. Good luck in the playoffs UNI.. I'm glad ILSU got you when we did

UNH_ORACLE
November 20th, 2005, 01:00 PM
can someone make a case why Santos does not deserve the Payton. He seems like a lock to me, I guess the only thing against him would be his age. He has done it all stats, records, championships. Who is more deserving and why?

JALMOND
November 20th, 2005, 01:53 PM
I'm glad to see Joe Rubin was included in this discussion. Due to our sputtering passing attack all season and our tough schedule, Rubin was pretty much our standby attack. Rubin had 10 games of 100+ yards (out of 11), two games of 200+ yards and one game of 300+ yards. DI teams Oregon State and Boise State could not stop him. Later in the season, others tried putting nine in the box to stop Rubin and they couldn't. What could hurt his chances is that Portland State did not make the playoffs, thus Rubin will not get his chance to showcase on the main stage. Without Rubin, we would have been terrible this year.

kalm
November 20th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Santos sounds alot like Meyer. I'm sure they're both great and they're numbers are similar, although Meyer's may have come against slightly better competition and he missed part of his final two games.

Like we chanted in the south end-zone of Washington Grizzly Stadium this year, "Meyer for Heisman!"

blackfordpu
November 20th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Nealy hurt his cause last game against the Kats. Bad passing numbers against a questionable and underachieving secondary and the fumbles did not help his cause either.

UNHWildCats
November 20th, 2005, 02:57 PM
The best WR in the nation... Laurent Robinson! If you haven't seen the kid play, then you are missing flowetry in motion... smooooooooth player.

86 Catches
1465 Yds
12 TDs
17.03 Yds/Catch
133.18 Yds/Gm

David Ball is a better WR

UNHWildCats
November 20th, 2005, 02:58 PM

the Payton goes to "the most outstanding offensive player" seems numbers and wins the team was led to by a player would be what matters.

ISUMatt
November 20th, 2005, 03:01 PM

I will bet you have NEVER seen Robinson play and yet you made that statement!!! Ask our fellow GFC members here how good Robinson is!

Screamin_Eagle174
November 20th, 2005, 03:14 PM

86 Catches
1465 Yds
12 TDs
17.03 Yds/Catch
133.18 Yds/Gm

Yeah, but the second best all time I-AA is Eric Kimble! He has 44 career TDs second only to Jerry Rice. The kid is amazing, especially with one of the nation's best QBs to hook him up. I swear to god Meyer could light a match with his accuarcy! Both have signed my I-AA.org mag. They're going NFL for sure!

rcny46
November 20th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Erik Meyer,followed by Richie williams.Myer is the best QB in 1-AA,but that's just my opinion.If UNH gets by Colgate,and EWU comes out of Cedar Rapids with a win,I will be looking forward to seeing him play.

mikebigg
November 20th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Well, the season, atleast the regular season is over...and what are your thoughts on whom should win the Payton?

How did Travis Lulay QBing his team to victory against Montana aid his chances? Was getting his team the BSC championship enough for Erik Meyer?

Joe Rubin kept running the ball and kept getting yards this year. Where does he rank? Is he the #1 RB, but perhaps not the #1 vote-getter for the Payton?

Did Barrick Nealy's 12 of 30 for 118 passing day hurt his chances? Those two fumbles not beneficial either?

Is Bruce Eugene that good? Or is Coach Spears just running up the score on weak opponents by continuing the passing onslaught late?

Does anyone else see the slant of this post? I don't know what your bias towards Bruce Eugene is, but it's very obviously exists. Bruce has always put up good numbers...especially after the bad debut as a sophomore years ago in Lake Charles. Even in the loss to Wazzou this year, his numbers were impressive (and not just late stat numbers). Bruce is talented and those who have seen him play cannot honestly say otherwize (McNeese posters who attended the game in Grambling his Junior year are invited to post their thoughts)...but it seems that you are bent on dismissing him as a sham. Don't know why you are so adamantly trying to shed doubt on his worthiness, but it is really getting old!

Chi Panther
November 20th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Erik Meyer,followed by Richie williams.Myer is the best QB in 1-AA,but that's just my opinion.If UNH gets by Colgate,and EWU comes out of Cedar Rapids with a win,I will be looking forward to seeing him play.

Cedar Falls...... :D

skinny_uncle
November 20th, 2005, 05:30 PM
ARKEE WHITLOCK
All-Amercan maybe but probably not the Payton yet. Maybe next year.
:D

shakdaddy3
November 20th, 2005, 05:30 PM
yea.. i mean, i guess a guy with less receiving yard and less receptions would be better... especially with that super hard schedule you guys played... you don't even know.

ucdtim17
November 20th, 2005, 06:17 PM
not tony kays

MACHIAVELLI
November 21st, 2005, 12:19 AM

2002..4,455 passing yards/43 passing TD's/9 rushing TD's/16 ints
2003..3,805 passing yards/34 passing TD's/6 rushing TD's/13 ints
2004..injured granted medical redshirt
2005..3,275 passing yards/40 passing TD's/1 rushing TD/3 ints (2 regular season and 1 championship games left to play.

Bruce 'ALMIGHTY' Eugene is that good.

Eagle22
November 21st, 2005, 12:50 AM
2002..4,455 passing yards/43 passing TD's/9 rushing TD's/16 ints
2003..3,805 passing yards/34 passing TD's/6 rushing TD's/13 ints
2004..injured granted medical redshirt
2005..3,275 passing yards/40 passing TD's/1 rushing TD/3 ints (2 regular season and 1 championship games left to play.

Bruce 'ALMIGHTY' Eugene is that good.

Just curious ... I haven't followed his career that much ... this is not a smack attempt ....

What injury did he sustain, and what do you attribute the relative decline in passing yards and rushing TD's to ....

Thanks.

UNHknowledge
November 21st, 2005, 12:56 AM

You're out there bro....u've seen Ricky and Dave play and don't think they're the best and u haven't seen meyer or williams but you love them. Please just do me a favor and take your "unh fan" title DOWN!

P.S. UNI is in Cedar FALLS! not Cedar Rapids.

eagleskins
November 21st, 2005, 01:32 AM
For me, the top candidates are QBs. Richie Williams (look at more than the stats), Erik Meyer, Travis Lulay, Ricky Santos, Ingle Martin. I might put Nick Hartigan of Brown (NCAA rushing leader) on my ballot instead of one of the QBs.

Seriously, how would Martin even be in this discussion? How about Jermaine Austin and Jayson Foster. Both have numbers head and shoulders above Ingle. Ingle is at best the 3rd best qb in the Socon.

SUjagTILLiDIE
November 21st, 2005, 02:49 AM
Just curious ... I haven't followed his career that much ... this is not a smack attempt ....

What injury did he sustain, and what do you attribute the relative decline in passing yards and rushing TD's to ....

Thanks.
First off Gram still has 2 regular season and 1 post season games to play. Secondly Gram has run more this season since the departure of Doug Williams as their coach. Check out his pass effi. numbers. Bruce for Payton and Heisman. :D We(Southern University Jaguars) still gonna make him cry again. :D

UNHWildCats
November 21st, 2005, 03:39 AM
yea.. i mean, i guess a guy with less receiving yard and less receptions would be better... especially with that super hard schedule you guys played... you don't even know.

so your gonna discount a players stats based on the fact that David Ball has sat the second half of half UNH's games. who cares if he has less receptions, or less yards. 2 numbers to look at Yards per catch and TDs

Robinson 17.0 12 TDs
Ball 17.5 18 TDs (leads Nation in TDs, next closest is at 13)

Not that it matters any cause a WR wont win the award

rcny46
November 21st, 2005, 11:07 AM
You're out there bro....u've seen Ricky and Dave play and don't think they're the best and u haven't seen meyer or williams but you love them. Please just do me a favor and take your "unh fan" title DOWN!

P.S. UNI is in Cedar FALLS! not Cedar Rapids.

Just to let you know,I'm entitled to my opinion,and if you don't like it ,you know what you can do.In order for one to think of himself as a fan,does one have to necessarily assume every player on the team he follows is the best at his position in the entire division? Would I be right in saying that Nick Coutourier is the best center in 1-AA because he plays for UNH? BTW,I have seen Meyer play on the tube,and Williams in person,although not this season.You did get me on the Cedar Rapids deal-no excuse there,just a dumb mistake on my part.Anyway,I'll stick to my assertions,and continue to think of myself as a fan of the Wildcat program,but at the same time,not allow myself to get carried away with this homerism thing when it's not warranted.

Eagle_77
November 21st, 2005, 02:43 PM
I don’t have a problem with either Hartigan or Rubin being mentioned in this thread but if you put there names in this then you have to include Austin’s as well.
Carries CPG Yards TD YPC
Hartigan 314 31.4 1727 20 5.5
Rubin 345 31.4 1702 17 4.9
Austin 210 19.1 1399 13 6.7

With more than a hundred less carries in the season and 12.3 less carries per game, Austin was with in 328 yards of Hartigan and 303. He had better yards per carry as well.

If you do projections comparable to Hartigan and Rubin, Austin’s numbers would have looked like this.

330 carries 2145 yards and around 20 TD's.

Hartigan and Rubin was the offense for their teams. Austin was able to put up these numbers with another 1,000-yard rusher on our team in Foster. Foster had 1330 yards on 218 carries with a 6.1 ypc and 19 TD's.

My point is that if you think some of the running backs are favorites then you have to include Austin’s name as well.

pete4256
November 21st, 2005, 02:55 PM
I don’t have a problem with either Hartigan or Rubin being mentioned in this thread but if you put there names in this then you have to include Austin’s as well.
Carries CPG Yards TD YPC
Hartigan 314 31.4 1727 20 5.5
Rubin 345 31.4 1702 17 4.9
Austin 210 19.1 1399 13 6.7

With more than a hundred less carries in the season and 12.3 less carries per game, Austin was with in 328 yards of Hartigan and 303. He had better yards per carry as well.

If you do projections comparable to Hartigan and Rubin, Austin’s numbers would have looked like this.

330 carries 2145 yards and around 20 TD's.

Hartigan and Rubin was the offense for their teams. Austin was able to put up these numbers with another 1,000-yard rusher on our team in Foster. Foster had 1330 yards on 218 carries with a 6.1 ypc and 19 TD's.

My point is that if you think some of the running backs are favorites then you have to include Austin’s name as well.

Not to mention that he's rushed for over 5K yards in his career.

MACHIAVELLI
November 21st, 2005, 11:15 PM
As an added note, a special feature on Grambling State’s senior quarterback Bruce Eugene will be included in this broadcast. This segment will include a closer look at the Walter Payton Award candidate on his progress throughout his final season.

AppGuy04
November 22nd, 2005, 07:43 AM
Not to mention that he's rushed for over 5K yards in his career.

The Payton is a season award, not a career award

MACHIAVELLI
November 22nd, 2005, 07:58 AM
The Payton is a season award, not a career award

Yeah right. Then explain how Tony Romo won it in 2002. Romo passed for 2,950 yards and 33 touchdowns in 2002 and a 8-3 record

Bruce, a sophomore had 2002..4,455 passing yards,43 passing TD's,9 rushing TD's (52 td's)with an 11-2 record.

AppGuy04
November 22nd, 2005, 08:01 AM
Yeah right. Then explain how Tony Romo won it in 2002. Romo passed for 2,950 yards and 33 touchdowns in 2002 and a 8-3 record

Bruce, a sophomore had 2002..4,455 passing yards,43 passing TD's,9 rushing TD's (52 td's)with an 11-2 record.

its not always about pure numbers

personally, i look at other things like rankings, SOS, and did that player play alot

a good example this year would be Ricky Santos, he hasn't played alot in the 4th quarter of most of their games, if at all

MACHIAVELLI
November 22nd, 2005, 08:12 AM
its not always about pure numbers

personally, i look at other things like rankings, SOS, and did that player play alot

a good example this year would be Ricky Santos, he hasn't played alot in the 4th quarter of most of their games, if at all

Typical response. Fact is Bruce threw for over 1500 more yards than Romo did. Santos not playing in the3 or 4 quarter can mean that the team he was playing against really sucked. What should weight heaver pure numbers or rankings? Grambling was 6-1 before they cracked the top 25. There were plenty of 3 loss teams ranked ahead of them. There were even teams like GaSou. than drop out and came back on the top 25 before Grambling cracked it. I am sure the old compete in the playoff thing is always on peoples minds. Is the selection criteria public? The editor of the sportsnetwork seems to have a hard on for Ricky Santos, so he will probably win it.......unfortunately. I am sure people think there is no bias in the selection.

AppGuy04
November 22nd, 2005, 08:18 AM
Typical response. Santos not playing in the3 or 4 quarter can mean mean that the team he was playing against realyy sucked. What should weight heaver pure numbers or rankings? Grambling was 6-1 before they cracked the top 25. There were plenty of 3 loss teams ranked ahead of them. There were even teams like GaSou. than drop out and came back on the top 25 before Grambling cracked it. I am sure the old compete in the playoff thing is always on peoples minds. Is the selection criteria public? The editor of the sportsnetwork seems to have a hard on for Ricky Santos, so he will probably win it.......unfortunately.

I'm not even a UNH fan, I just call it like I see it, which unfortunately you do not(Re: Eugene still being in the game when winning by 40, though those teams suck just as much if not more than the teams UNH plays)

I'm not gonna go into this again, but please be objective, there are 2 sides to the coin, please don't neglect to look at the other side

'95 App State 11-0
November 22nd, 2005, 08:31 AM
Hello All, former player here, first time posting. You can sit here and argueall day about who should win and who will win, just like you can argue the BCS or the Heisman. Untill it is clearly defined as to what the Walter Payton Award is, as of now it is stated as the Best Offensive I-AA football player, that takes a lot into consideration.

Who is offensively the best player, throwing, running, leading, managing a game, Stats are not the biggest factor. The Heisman should not be voted on until after the Bowl Games. The I-AA playoffs will be a big factor in who should win the award.

Everybody is biased because they only see a few players all year play especially people from their home team. I am no different, But having a lot of the I-AA playoffs on ESPN, will help in determining who should and will win the award.

Until I see somebody better, Richie Williams is an amazing athlete, leader, thrower and runner. Only because he handed the ball off to the RB half the plays are his stats not as high others, but when he does have the ball, WOW!

ChickenMan
November 22nd, 2005, 08:35 AM
Santos not playing in the3 or 4 quarter can mean mean that the team he was playing against realyy sucked.

Now I HAVE heard it all... someone from the woeful SWAC is comlpaining that the competition in the A10 sucks...

:D :lmao: :D :lmao: :D

MACHIAVELLI
November 22nd, 2005, 08:40 AM
I'm not even a UNH fan, I just call it like I see it, which unfortunately you do not(Re: Eugene still being in the game when winning by 40, though those teams suck just as much if not more than the teams UNH plays)

I'm not gonna go into this again, but please be objective, there are 2 sides to the coin, please don't neglect to look at the other side

Just because Santos coach decides to take him out of the game doesn't mean he is a better player. Just because Bruce's coach decides to leave him in the game doesn't mean that he is not a better player. People are looking at this year and trying to make up their mind about Bruce, but he has always put of big numbers, that has been proven. It is not something that has just happened. The people who vote can't see all of the games of the people up for the Payton so what do they have to determine who should win it? Stats!!

MACHIAVELLI
November 22nd, 2005, 08:43 AM
Now I HAVE heard it all... someone from the woeful SWAC is comlpaining that the competition in the A10 sucks...

Where did I say they suck?

AppGuy04
November 22nd, 2005, 08:43 AM
Just because Santos coach decides to take him out of the game doesn't mean he is a better player. Just because Bruce's coach decides to leave him in the game doesn't mean that he is not a better player. People are looking at this year and trying to make up their mind about Bruce, but he has always put of big numbers, that has been proven. It is not something that has just happened. The people who vote can't see all of the games of the people up for the Payton so what do they have to determine who should win it? Stats!!

and if stats are the deciding factor, then Bruce's are inflated b/c he was left in for that very reason, to pad his stats, you just proved my whole point

ChickenMan
November 22nd, 2005, 08:46 AM
and if stats are the deciding factor, then Bruce's are inflated b/c he was left in for that very reason, to pad his stats, you just proved my whole point

Didn't you say the reason Santos wasn't playing in the 3rd and 4th quarters was...

Santos not playing in the 3 or 4 quarter can mean mean that the team he was playing against realyy sucked.

Cocky
November 22nd, 2005, 08:48 AM
Santos should win.

Clay Green should have been on the list. He carried a team on his back most of the year. The great thing about Clay he is a junior. If he isn't on the list at the start of next year this award has no credibility.

MACHIAVELLI
November 22nd, 2005, 08:49 AM

Still missing the point. Bruce has always had big numbers. Be wasn't left in to pad his stats. There were other issues why Bruce remains in the game, but I'm sure this is so-called padding stats is what everyone is clinging to so the resonating theme will play out.

ChickenMan
November 22nd, 2005, 08:50 AM
Where did I say they suck?

your quote...

Originally Posted by MACHIAVELLI
Santos not playing in the3 or 4 quarter can mean mean that the team he was playing against realyy sucked.

MACHIAVELLI
November 22nd, 2005, 09:10 AM
I said "can mean they suck" not "does mean they suck". There is a difference.

AppGuy04
November 22nd, 2005, 09:52 AM
Still missing the point. Bruce has always had big numbers. Be wasn't left in to pad his stats. There were other issues why Bruce remains in the game, but I'm sure this is so-called padding stats is what everyone is clinging to so the resonating theme will play out.

What other reason would there be to leave him in when they are up by 40

REALBird
November 22nd, 2005, 01:45 PM
Welcome to the Payton Watch list Mr. Robinson. Now let's go for an ISU sweep of the Payton and Buchanon Awards!

Go Redbirds!!!!

shakdaddy3
November 22nd, 2005, 02:07 PM
the reason I think Robinson has a chance as a WR [even though I don't think it's all that great of a chance b/c QBs and RBs are usually the award winners] is because he had 56 more receptions than anyone else on the ILSU team. Talk about the go-to-guy... he tallied almost 50% of the QBs passing yards and had over half of the receiving TDs. Also, every big time opponent we played against he had a good game if not a great game. Other teams knew which receiver was going to get the ball AND STILL nobody could stop him... bunch of broken season records for the school and conference... I'm happy the kid got the props he deserved by being put on the list!

To be completely honest, this has nothing to do with the Payton award, but Laurant is one of the greatest players you could ever meet as in being a really, really good guy.. period.

shakdaddy3
November 22nd, 2005, 02:07 PM
the reason I think Robinson has a chance as a WR [even though I don't think it's all that great of a chance b/c QBs and RBs are usually the award winners] is because he had 56 more receptions than anyone else on the ILSU team. Talk about the go-to-guy... he tallied almost 50% of the QBs passing yards and had over half of the receiving TDs. Also, every big time opponent we played against he had a good game if not a great game. Other teams knew which receiver was going to get the ball AND STILL nobody could stop him... bunch of broken season records for the school and conference... I'm happy the kid got the props he deserved by being put on the list!

To be completely honest, this has nothing to do with the Payton award, but Laurant is one of the greatest players you could ever meet as in being a really, really good guy.. period. :nod:

MACHIAVELLI
November 23rd, 2005, 10:10 AM
What other reason would there be to leave him in when they are up by 40

Turns out there was another reason for keeping Eugene in the game during blowout wins this season.

“We are trying to bring (backup quarterback Larry) Kerlegan along, but he hasn't consistently gone to class,” said Spears. “If he is not going to pay attention to the details from an academic standpoint, he will not be given a chance to participate.”

Spears noted that similar benchings happened to Eugene, including the home game against Mississippi Valley in 2003 after he’d led Grambling to the 2002 conference title.

“We call it,” Spears said, “the Bruce Eugene Rule.”

Brandon Landers, who was named freshman of the year after taking over for Eugene last season, is being held out in the hopes of getting a redshirt.

AppGuy04
November 23rd, 2005, 11:02 AM
Turns out there was another reason for keeping Eugene in the game during blowout wins this season.

“We are trying to bring (backup quarterback Larry) Kerlegan along, but he hasn't consistently gone to class,” said Spears. “If he is not going to pay attention to the details from an academic standpoint, he will not be given a chance to participate.”

Spears noted that similar benchings happened to Eugene, including the home game against Mississippi Valley in 2003 after he’d led Grambling to the 2002 conference title.

“We call it,” Spears said, “the Bruce Eugene Rule.”

Brandon Landers, who was named freshman of the year after taking over for Eugene last season, is being held out in the hopes of getting a redshirt.

understood, but still looks bad from the outside looking in

MACHIAVELLI
November 23rd, 2005, 02:07 PM
understood, but still looks bad from the outside looking in

It is what it is. It is the truth, but the sad part is that the media won't talk about a coach putting his foot down when it comes to student athletes about why they are in school.

UNHknowledge
November 23rd, 2005, 05:54 PM
I obviously think Santos and Ball deserve the award but I have to say that Bruce Eugene is a damn good player and definitly deserves a Payton Award. Just not THIS season. He deserved it the last 2 times but this year it would be a crime for him to get it over Santos, Ball, Williams of App St, or Meyer EWU. I understand the academic situation stated previously for a reason the back up hasn't played but damn...isn't there a 3rd string guy there somewhere? Playing the whole game is incredibly bush and Grambling is blessed that Eugene never got hurt. UNH plays both back ups in blow out games and would play a 4th if we had one.

UNHWildCats
November 23rd, 2005, 06:50 PM
Typical response. Fact is Bruce threw for over 1500 more yards than Romo did. Santos not playing in the3 or 4 quarter can mean that the team he was playing against really sucked. What should weight heaver pure numbers or rankings? Grambling was 6-1 before they cracked the top 25. There were plenty of 3 loss teams ranked ahead of them. There were even teams like GaSou. than drop out and came back on the top 25 before Grambling cracked it. I am sure the old compete in the playoff thing is always on peoples minds. Is the selection criteria public? The editor of the sportsnetwork seems to have a hard on for Ricky Santos, so he will probably win it.......unfortunately. I am sure people think there is no bias in the selection.

Fact is UNH's coach has respect for his opponents and takes his starters out so to not purposely run the score up. Gramblings coach has no such respect for opponents. Had UNH left Santos and Ball in every game, you can probably add another 21 points atleast to those games and give Santos another 1,000+ yards and another 10 TDs atleast! not to mention Ball being on the receiving end of another 7 or so.

Santos is the best QB in I-AA hell he completed 71% of his passes show me another QB who did that.

MACHIAVELLI
November 24th, 2005, 04:26 AM
Fact is UNH's coach has respect for his opponents and takes his starters out so to not purposely run the score up. Gramblings coach has no such respect for opponents. Had UNH left Santos and Ball in every game, you can probably add another 21 points atleast to those games and give Santos another 1,000+ yards and another 10 TDs atleast! not to mention Ball being on the receiving end of another 7 or so.

Santos is the best QB in I-AA hell he completed 71% of his passes show me another QB who did that.

Please check the drive charts before you jump to conclusioins and join in on the band wagon assuming that the purpose is to pad stats. If Bruce wanted to pad his stats he would have a high passing attempt. I knew someone would look over the explanation once it was posted.....par for course. Bruce has a QB rating of 180.1529.

mikebigg
November 24th, 2005, 05:13 AM
I obviously think Santos and Ball deserve the award but I have to say that Bruce Eugene is a damn good player and definitly deserves a Payton Award. Just not THIS season. He deserved it the last 2 times but this year it would be a crime for him to get it over Santos, Ball, Williams of App St, or Meyer EWU. I understand the academic situation stated previously for a reason the back up hasn't played but damn...isn't there a 3rd string guy there somewhere? Playing the whole game is incredibly bush and Grambling is blessed that Eugene never got hurt. UNH plays both back ups in blow out games and would play a 4th if we had one.

Kerlegan is actually THE 3rd string qb...the #2 man is Brandon Landers who replaced Bruce last year as the starter (at 17 years old)...he was Conference Freshman of the year. Spears is trying to get a red-shirt year for Landers (otherwise, he would be playing early in the third quarter). I agree with Spear's decision not to waste a year having such a talented guy do "mop up" duty.

UNHWildCats
November 24th, 2005, 05:21 AM

New Hampshire has 5 QBs on its roster.

#2 Ricky Santos, So.
#5 Hank Hendricks, Fr.
#9 Chris Alexander, Fr.
#17 Bruce Elia, Fr.
#21 Tom Manning, Fr.

MACHIAVELLI
November 24th, 2005, 05:30 AM

#2 Ricky Santos, So.
#5 Hank Hendricks, Fr.
#9 Chris Alexander, Fr.
#17 Bruce Elia, Fr.
#21 Tom Manning, Fr.

Congrats.

UNHknowledge
November 25th, 2005, 05:39 PM

#2 Ricky Santos, So.
#5 Hank Hendricks, Fr.
#9 Chris Alexander, Fr.
#17 Bruce Elia, Fr.
#21 Tom Manning, Fr.

No, Alexander was kicked off the team and Manning is a kicker.

McUMass
November 25th, 2005, 06:37 PM
I only attended games involving A-10 teams this year (aside from Fordham/Holy Cross, but I'm more likely to win the Payton than any of those guys) and the best player I happened to see this year was Santos. Ball is also very VERY good, but Santos looks like a man playing among boys half the time he's on the field.

skinny_uncle
November 25th, 2005, 07:50 PM
I think the Payton award should go to a running back and there should be separate awards for QB and WR. After all, Walter was a running back (and a fine one).

Blazerbird
November 25th, 2005, 09:34 PM
I've seen a few of the players on this year's Payton watch list actually play. While they all deserve to be on the list, they don't come close to deserving the award more than Eastern Washington's Erik Meyer. I'm not sure how to compare running backs, with wide receivers and quarterbacks, but among quarterbacks Meyer's clearly the best. I hear a lot of talk about Santos and how great he is, but the numbers don't tell the same story. Especially, when you consider the competition he faced. Santos went 256 for 360 with 3200 yards and 33tds. Meyer threw for 3616 yards on 244/367 passing and 26tds. However, Meyer accomplished these statistics facing two I-AA playoff teams, the toughest 1-AA conference, as well as admittedly weak San Jose State. New Hampshire's tough game came against UC Davis who they beat by four. If somebody is more worthy than Erik Meyer, I will be totally amazed.

MR. CHICKEN
November 26th, 2005, 09:15 AM
No, Alexander was kicked off the team and Manning is a kicker.

HMMMM.......FOUR FRESHMEN........HALF O' DEM WILL BE MOVED TA WIDE-OUT...OR D-BACK...IFIN' DEY WANNA GET DERE SHIRTS DIRTY!........OR TRANSFER DOWN TAH D-II!..............:rolleyes:.............AWK!

UNHknowledge
November 26th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Is anybody ready to jump on the Santos/Ball bandwagon for Payton after today's performance on the national stage?

I must say Colgate was even worse than I expected but Santos/Ball have made plays like they did today in every game. Go Cats!

Chi Panther
November 26th, 2005, 05:52 PM
QB Nealy at TXST!!!!!!

526 yards of total offense today against GSU........WOW :bow:

AppGuy04
November 26th, 2005, 06:24 PM
too bad the voting is already in

JohnStOnge
November 26th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Fellas, I predict that of all the quarterbacks talked about right now Barrick Nealy of Texas State is going to go the highest in the NFL draft when his time comes. If you've got to have one quarterback who's going to make the most difference for one team in I-AA, he's the one.

When they need him, he produces, He put up over 400 yards total offense against Texas A&M earlier this season and over 500 today against Georgia Southern. No way Santos, Eugene, or anybody else in I-AA changes a game like he does.

AppGuy04
November 26th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Fellas, I predict that of all the quarterbacks talked about right now Barrick Nealy of Texas State is going to go the highest in the NFL draft when his time comes. If you've got to have one quarterback who's going to make the most difference for one team in I-AA, he's the one.

When they need him, he produces, He put up over 400 yards total offense against Texas A&M earlier this season and over 500 today against Georgia Southern. No way Santos, Eugene, or anybody else in I-AA changes a game like he does.

If you have never seen Richie Williams play you are missing out.
Both he and Nealy are the same type QB's

grizband
November 26th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Is anybody ready to jump on the Santos/Ball bandwagon for Payton after today's performance on the national stage?

I must say Colgate was even worse than I expected but Santos/Ball have made plays like they did today in every game. Go Cats!
I've been on his bandwagon most of the season. Im my mind it comes down to Santos and Meyer.

rcny46
November 26th, 2005, 06:44 PM

The guy is scary.I hadn't seen him play before today,but he is amazing to say the least.

Chi Panther
November 26th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Nealy is 6-3 and 230.....HE IS ALREADY A MAN......

Richie Williams is giving up 40lbs......he is more of an NFL WR....

JohnStOnge
November 26th, 2005, 06:46 PM
If you have never seen Richie Williams play you are missing out.
Both he and Nealy are the same type QB's

I saw Williams play on TV but, in fairness, it was against LSU.

AppGuy04
November 26th, 2005, 06:49 PM
I saw Williams play on TV but, in fairness, it was against LSU.

well now, that would change things alot :smiley_wi

AppGuy04
November 26th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Nealy is 6-3 and 230.....HE IS ALREADY A MAN......

Richie Williams is giving up 40lbs......he is more of an NFL WR....

remember what Cunningham looked like when he came into the league? he was scrawny too

Tod
November 26th, 2005, 06:51 PM
well now, that would change things alot :smiley_wi

You don't think it would? :confused: :confused:

AppGuy04
November 26th, 2005, 06:51 PM
You don't think it would? :confused: :confused:

trust me, it does, wrong smiley