PDA

View Full Version : Maine to play at Michigan this fall?

mainejeff
January 9th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Could happen........

But there remains a strong possibility that FSU could open the 2009 season against Miami on Labor Day night — if the ACC and television executives make a strong enough push. That would likely mean finding a team to replace Maine, currently the season-opening opponent, at another date on the 2009 schedule. Those close to the process said that Maine is considering playing Michigan, which is in need of a 12th game next season, if the Miami-FSU Labor Day game happens.

http://tallahassee.com/article/20090108/FSU03/901080337/1026/RSS13

This would be preferable to playing in Tallahassee IMO. Also a bigger payday! xthumbsupx

danefan
January 9th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Could happen........

But there remains a strong possibility that FSU could open the 2009 season against Miami on Labor Day night — if the ACC and television executives make a strong enough push. That would likely mean finding a team to replace Maine, currently the season-opening opponent, at another date on the 2009 schedule. Those close to the process said that Maine is considering playing Michigan, which is in need of a 12th game next season, if the Miami-FSU Labor Day game happens.

http://tallahassee.com/article/20090108/FSU03/901080337/1026/RSS13

This would be preferable to playing in Tallahassee IMO. Also a bigger payday! xthumbsupx

Much better shot at winning. xthumbsupx

813Jag
January 9th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I'd prefer the Miami game stay where it is. I hated that game on Labor Day.

PapaBear
January 9th, 2009, 07:00 PM
This would be a much better choice, in my view. Leaving aside any competitiveness of lack thereof. The real issues are travel and playing conditions.

I'd much rather travel to Ann Arbor than to Tallahassee, during that hurricane-prone time of year. I'm sure the players would rather play there, too -- 80 degrees and no humidity, vs ... well, weather you can cut with a knife.

Do the Big House deal, Blake. xthumbsupx

Husky Alum
January 9th, 2009, 10:13 PM
This would be a much better choice, in my view. Leaving aside any competitiveness of lack thereof. The real issues are travel and playing conditions.

I'd much rather travel to Ann Arbor than to Tallahassee, during that hurricane-prone time of year. I'm sure the players would rather play there, too -- 80 degrees and no humidity, vs ... well, weather you can cut with a knife.

Do the Big House deal, Blake. xthumbsupx

We all know Maine's history with Hurricanes isn't good. xcoffeex xrulesx xcoffeex xcoffeex

mainejeff
January 9th, 2009, 11:34 PM
We all know Maine's history with Hurricanes isn't good. xcoffeex xrulesx xcoffeex xcoffeex

You just HAD to bring that up......xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx

;)

henfan
January 9th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Could happen........

UMaine-Michigan would be great, especially if the Black Bears showed up in Ann Arbor with the '50s/'60s era black & white winged helmet design!xlolxxthumbsupx

Dave Nelson would have loved it.

Syntax Error
January 9th, 2009, 11:47 PM
UMaine-Michigan would be great, especially if the Black Bears showed up in Ann Arbor with the '50s/'60s era black & white winged helmet design!You mean white wings on blue? xnodx

henfan
January 9th, 2009, 11:51 PM
You mean white wings on blue. xnodx

Correct. Typo.

Syntax Error
January 9th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Correct. Typo.

That would be a beautiful thing.

T-Dog
January 10th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Sure they're the winningest program in college football history, but they're 0-1 all time vs FCS teams so history is on your side. xrulesx

I didn't go back in 2007, but I heard tailgating on the golf course near the stadium is the thing to do. Heard overwhelmingly positive stories about the Michigan fans there and if the weather is as good as it was for us, it'll make it all that much better (70 degrees, clear skies, no humidity and no wind).

mainejeff
January 10th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Sure they're the winningest program in college football history, but they're 0-1 all time vs FCS teams so history is on your side. xrulesx

I didn't go back in 2007, but I heard tailgating on the golf course near the stadium is the thing to do. Heard overwhelmingly positive stories about the Michigan fans there and if the weather is as good as it was for us, it'll make it all that much better (70 degrees, clear skies, no humidity and no wind).

How much was App's guarantee back in 2007? I seem to remember $500,000(?).

I'm hoping that Maine can top that.....and then some if ESPN can kick in some cash for Florida State to buy out Maine. xthumbsupx

Husky Alum
January 10th, 2009, 09:18 AM
You just HAD to bring that up......xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx

;)

You expected anything different from me????

ASU
January 10th, 2009, 12:43 PM

I'm hoping that Maine can top that.....and then some if ESPN can kick in some cash for Florida State to buy out Maine. xthumbsupx

Good luck there Maine.

proasu89
January 10th, 2009, 03:15 PM

450K I believe. That's what is says on my T-Shirt anyway.

mainejeff
January 10th, 2009, 03:20 PM
450K I believe. That's what is says on my T-Shirt anyway.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xthumbsupx