PDA

View Full Version : Gardner-Webb recruiting

Thumper250
January 9th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Just curious. Anybody have an idea who the Runnin' Dogs are pursuing with any success this year? Seems like they won't have many spots to fill if I'm looking at the roster correctly. Maybe 10-15 signees this year?

elcid83
January 19th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Mark down Austin Sargent [Ninety Six HS OL] and Hudson Smith [6'2" 230lbs - Aiken HS DE] as new pickups for the Runnin' Bulldogs. Also Trey Spiller lof Hokes Bluff, Alabama all committed to GWU this past weekend. OL, Jeff Harris of East Forsythe HS in NC committed in the last couple of weeks.

Go Bulldogs!

Reign of Terrier
January 19th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Mark down Austin Sargent [Ninety Six HS OL] and Hudson Smith [6'2" 230lbs - Aiken HS DE] as new pickups for the Runnin' Bulldogs. Also Trey Spiller lof Hokes Bluff, Alabama all committed to GWU this past weekend. OL, Jeff Harris of East Forsythe HS in NC committed in the last couple of weeks.

Go Bulldogs!

We terriers were looking for Harris but sadly he's going to be a running Bulldogxnonono2x

FUwolfpacker
January 19th, 2009, 08:48 PM

Go Bulldogs!

Sargent's a nice pick up. He went relatively unnoticed, but always seemed like a good player. I believe he could play on either side of the play (played d-line in the SC North/South game).

EagleDawg
January 19th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Good to hear GWU adding to their class. I heard they also received a commit from a LB but don't know who. Anybody help on this one. Sargent, Harris, Spiller and Hudson good pick-ups for the Dawgs. Harris held an offer from Wofford so he was a steal for the Dawgs who took one away from the Terriers that they wanted. Other ideas about specific position needs for the Dawgs.

Reign of Terrier
January 20th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Good to hear GWU adding to their class. I heard they also received a commit from a LB but don't know who. Anybody help on this one. Sargent, Harris, Spiller and Hudson good pick-ups for the Dawgs. Harris held an offer from Wofford so he was a steal for the Dawgs who took one away from the Terriers that they wanted. Other ideas about specific position needs for the Dawgs.

Yes, it's a shame too. IMO Had he committed to Wofford our recruiting class would be one of the best in the Socon, if not, the country. We Wofford fans pitched a fit over him going to GWxlolx xlolx xlolx but we're over it now.

elcid83
January 20th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Yes, it's a shame too. IMO Had he committed to Wofford our recruiting class would be one of the best in the Socon, if not, the country. We Wofford fans pitched a fit over him going to GWxlolx xlolx xlolx but we're over it now.

Wofford is getting so good with your on the field performance and your recruiting that you are starting to sound the Clemson and Carolina fans on their boards. Every time they lose a commit that they had been chasing around since the kid was a sophomore in high school to another school, they always say - "We really didn't want that guy anyway." From everything I have seen, Wofford could certainly afford to let a player or two out of their sight.

Go Bulldogs!

Thumper250
January 20th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Trey Spiller is a 6-6, 280 pounder from Hokes Bluff from what I can find online. Had visited UAB and Chattanooga. Nice pick up at tackle I guess.

Need some good, big DL.

Thumper250
January 20th, 2009, 10:24 AM
From what I had heard a few weeks ago, Harris was considered one of the most important recruits for the Class of 2009 at GW. A major need filled by a great student and super player by all accounts.

His local paper knew how good he was back in November:

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2008/nov/19/unsung-colleges-missing-east-forsyths-harris/sports/

EagleDawg
January 20th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Yeah the Terriers will be plenty fine without Harris, they are having a great recruiting year and GWU wins a battle in the recruiting game war with their SOCON neighbor to the south. That don't happen too often but needs to if GWU wants to regularly land enough players to consistently challenge for the Big South Championship. Maybe Harris' choice will make it easier for others to consider a similar path. The SOCON no doubt has a longer tradition and top to bottom is a more talented athletic conference for all sports not just football. It will take time but the Big South needs to keep just chipping away at it. Getting the FCS Automatic Bid in 2010 is huge and whichever Big South representative gets there they need to do some damage to earn some respect for the league.

With regards to the Spiller kid, he must have grown quite a bit height wise this last season. Rivals had him at 6'-1", he was earlier listed in a posting in this thread at 6'-3" and now he's 6'-6". What's in that water down in Alabama?

Anymore recruiting news for the Dawgs?

One last thing. I found that Wofford has offered a QB from Jupiter Christian HS in Florida, a 2010 kid. GWU needs to take a long look at this QB, Marshyl Rothman. He's a little undersized but with one year of HS ball left, he has led his team to 2 consecutive state championships. Take a look at his film on YouTube and Rivals, he looks like the 2nd coming of Doug Flutie. I'd hate to have to chase that guy around for 4 quarters and he throws a really nice ball. I believe the Dawgs currently have an OL, Webber that played at Jupiter Christian so there may be some opportunities there.

EagleDawg
January 20th, 2009, 11:40 AM
The commitments of Harris and Sargent goes to show it is a small world after all. The two of them attended the Senior Elite Camp at ASU this past summer, and if memory serves me, both attended 2 and possibly 3 UnOfficial visits on Gamedays at Furman and Wofford. If Sargent plays on the OL and I believe he was recruitied to play OL then the two of them could form a nice interior tandem over the next several years. Both Carolina's (North and South) well represented by these two young men.

A couple of DL from Dudley HS (back to back 3AA champs 07,08) in Greensboro, NC visited the first weekend along with Harris. Getting one or both would be great for the Dawgs. Not sure what they are thinking though.

EagleDawg
January 21st, 2009, 08:23 AM
Thumper250 - You are well informed on GWU recruiting. Can you summarize the status of current commitments as you understand them to be? Player name, HS, Position, Ht/Wt. I had heard that GWU has around 11 scholarships to offer this year and so far I only know of Harris, Sargent, Smith and Spiller. That would leave 7 spots so there is still work to do unless there are more current commits.

FUwolfpacker
January 21st, 2009, 05:05 PM
I'm not well informed on GW's recruiting, but here are the profiles I made up for Harris, Sargent, and Smith on our recruiting thread.

NR FB/TE/DE – Hudson Smith*
Aiken HS (SC)
6’1”, 221 lbs, 4.68 sec, 385 lbs bench
-Notes: #138 player & #2 FB in SC according to HSSR as of July; 2008 North/South All-Star game selection; 2008 All-Region TE
-SCvarsity: ranked #85; good athlete; 8/23/08 Hudson Smith, TE, Aiken blocked punt in 3rd Quarter, recovered by Aiken who capitalized to score the tying touchdown. Hudson [now playing TE] also caught a pass from Kessler Scott for the 2 point conversion.
-Video Notes: Nasty as a FB- runs downhill and gets every yard he can, takes more than one guy to bring him down, hits hole with decent speed, not afraid of contact, could be valuable as a “jumbo athlete”- someone who is capable of being a goal line runner, TE, LB, or DE

NR C/DT – Austin Sargent*
Ninety Six HS
6’2.25”, 265 lbs, 5.0-5.22 sec, 350 lbs bench, 27 reps at 185 lbs on bench, 8’2” broad jump
-Notes: 2008 SC North/South Selection; HSSR Class A All-State

NR OL – Jeff Harris, “72” ESPN rating - #122 OG
East Forsyth HS
6’0.5”, 250 lbs, 5.37 sec, 25.8” vert
-Notes: Camped at App, Duke, Elon, Will&Mary, and did the Nike camp at Chapel Hill.
-Video Notes: couple of clips from the Nike camp at CH – video show Harris to have good footwork and he uses his hands well to keep his man in front of him, beat 3 good DL’s at Nike Camp- only beaten once by a top 10 player in NC

EagleDawg
January 22nd, 2009, 08:00 AM
GWU commitment Harris news see link below:

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/jan/22/two-east-forsyth-stars-announce-college-choices/sports-highschool/

EagleDawg
January 23rd, 2009, 12:18 PM
GWU Commit Trey Spiller News Story link

http://alabama.scout.com/a.z?s=14&p=2&c=832762

Hope that the Dawgs can hang on this kid. Absent a D1 offer he says he's a lock for the Dawgs but then he mentions taking a visit to local school Samford. Can't fault a kid for wanting to look at his options because they only get the chance to make the decision once. Let's hope that he stays a Dawg commit. GWU needs more kids the likes of Spiller and Harris who also chose GWU over the SOCON's Wofford. In order to compete on the field with the SOCON schools the Big South schools have to compete and win these recruiting battles.

EagleDawg
January 23rd, 2009, 12:26 PM
GWU Commit Austin Sargent News link

http://www.indexjournal.com/articles/2009/01/21/sports/d0122%20sargent.txt

A good pick-up and fit for the Dawgs. Glad he's gonna come to GWU.

Thumper250
January 23rd, 2009, 05:45 PM
GWU has picked up a corner, but I haven't heard name or high school. Supposedly a FBS level recruit.

EagleDawg
January 26th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Any news from the weekend on any new BullDawg commitments? One would expect for things to have firmed up recruiting wise pretty much after this weekend. The last week is usually scramble mode to fill out a last spot or two.

EagleDawg
January 27th, 2009, 08:28 PM
It looks like GWU has picked up the commitment of DE Nick Stone of Hillside HS, NC 6'-3", 236 lbs. Another solid pick-up for the Dawgs.

Thumper250
January 27th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Dunaway, a tackle from Byrnes, appears to have made a commitment as well. Was set to go to Presbyterian until Bentley left. Good pickup if that kid from Alabama goes to Samford. Was in the Spartanburg paper this morning.

Should be a nice OL with Harris, Sargent and company. Nice to see that area being concentrated on.

EagleDawg
January 27th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Thumper250 - That's awesome news. If the Spiller kid stays in the fold, then Dunaway, Spiller, Harris and Sargent are a heck of haul at OL for the Dawgs. Stone will provide some help along the D-line and there may one or two more to help there as well. Any confirmation on the DB you had mentioned earlier that was BCS caliber player?

Thumper250
January 27th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Not yet, but there seems to be some growing excitement over there about next year and beyond. Should be a lot deeper up front in 2009, which helps.

EagleDawg
January 27th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Thumper250 - Alright buddy, keep us posted. GWU may be trying to go after a really nice QB prospect here in NC but I don't have a name yet. Anything on your end about that?

Thumper250
January 27th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Haven't heard, but am excited to see how this class shapes up by next Wednesday. Hard working staff over there from what I know. Good people all around in athletics, and at the school. I need to get to more games.

elcid83
January 28th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I'm hearing that Zack Shelton [DL, 6'1", 239lbs] of Marietta High School [near Atlanta] has committed and that Trey Spiller has confirmed his commitment after his visit to Samford.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

EagleDawg
January 28th, 2009, 01:28 PM
More good news there ElCid, Go Dawgs. Updated Big South recruiting thread with the info.

bulldogdad
January 28th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Here is some info on Jamie Dunaway from Byrnes HS, South Carolina
6'4" 270lb
5.02 40yd
4.44 Pro Shuffle
North-South Allstar
2 time All Region 2 time All Area
HSSR All State Team
3 Year starter 2@ LT 1@LG will play guard at this level

He is happy to be a Bulldog!!

EagleDawg
January 28th, 2009, 04:26 PM
BullDogDad - I can appreciate and also share your excitement. This recruiting class for GWU is shaping up to be something really nice. It's great to hear that these GWU recruits are excited about being a BullDawgs. There is no reason why GWU can't win the Big South and become a regular qualifier for the FCS Playoffs. In my opinion the kids that are already there and the new ones to arrive on campus will establish new levels of success for this program. Many are coming from extremely successful HS programs and bring a culture of winning to the program. Looking forward to hearing more as the class is completed and announced on signing day. Welcome and keep posting, we need to generate more and on-going interest in GWU football. That's at least 2 recruits who were sought after by SOCON teams that have chosen GWU. Yep, there is good stuff going on. Coach Patton must be wearing a pretty big smile.

elcid83
January 29th, 2009, 01:20 PM
For you long-time GW fans, I was wondering if someone might be able to provide the newcomers with some ideas about gameday rituals, traditions, etc... that we can anticipate with the upcoming 2009 football season. Where is the tailgating? How much of the campus is filled up with tailgaters? I see that the entire campus is non-smoking, but, it's hard to have a good tailgate without a good cigar. Is there anything else that is off-limits [ie. beer]? I'm just trying to get a feel for what to expect up there this fall. Thanks in advance.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

EagleDawg
January 29th, 2009, 02:26 PM
ElCid - GWU is a dry campus at least for the students. I would expect for tailgating that very discreet consumption in plastic or styrofoam cups probably goes on. As we all can imagine, the fact that GWU is a dry campus does not mean that consumption of alcohol on campus does not occur. GWU has developed a marching band over the last few years and I understand it's over a 100 members strong now. The football facilities are top notch. I'm looking forward to next season as I am a new BullDawg fan and have a special interest in the team and this recruiting class specifically. I won't be missing many if any games for the next 4 to 5 years so I think you know where I may be coming from. See the link below for the GWU fight song as performed by the marching band. I got a kick out of it and play it at least once a day now. Yeah, I'm hooked.xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx

letsgobulldogs.us

Scroll down to the Fight Song section and hit the click here for the movie

EagleDawg
January 29th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Any further recruiting news for today (Thursday). The recruiting season for the Class of 2009 is winding down. Countdown is on to Signing Day, 5 days left and then there will be several new Dawgs to add to the DawgPound. Big Dawgs, Strong Dawgs, Skilled Dawgs, Nasty Dawgs and yes dare I say Runnin Dawgs.xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx

Thumper250
January 30th, 2009, 05:19 PM
As of Friday, from what I've heard this afternoon, GWU will sign between 12-15 players on Wednesday. Small class, but filled with some very good quality young guys. No additional names yet though.

elcid83
January 31st, 2009, 03:34 PM
Eagle,

I hate to say it, but my info on Trey Spiller and Zack Shelton was not very good. Looks like Spiller committed to Samford after all. Shelton is an unknown at this point.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

EagleDawg
January 31st, 2009, 06:25 PM
ElCid - Sorry to hear about that regarding Spiller. Is it confirmed via any news article or did you get confirmation via your sources? Is the Shelton kid undecided or is he too off the list? I am confident that the Dawgs other OL commitments, Harris, Sargent and Dunaway are solid but it would have been awesome to land a 6'-6 tackle prospect. As with all recruiting, there may be a kid or two at tackle that drops down from the BCS or upper tier FBS and we might get a crack at him so I hope the staff holds a spot or two open after Signing Day. From what I'm reading on several boards is that this has been a down year in terms of numbers for OL Tackles. There's just not a lot of depth there to spread around over 200+ BCS and FCS programs. Looking forward to Wed. and seeing what we end up with. I've heard that we have 11 commits right now and are looking to sign between 13 and 15 so there is still a little work to do.

EagleDawg
January 31st, 2009, 07:32 PM
ElCid and Thumper - After hearing about the Spiller kid, it occurred to me that I had seen a OL Tackle out of Hilton Head, 6-6, 292 that is so far uncommitted. I believe the kids name is Ian Anderson. If someone has a direct line to the staff maybe they might be interested. It could be that they have already considered him and he's not what they are looking for. I dunno but those physical traits are somewhat hard to find, especially this year.

elcid83
February 1st, 2009, 08:43 AM
According to this morning's Augusta Chronicle, we can add Courtney Roundtree to our list. Courtney is listed as a 6'1" 190 DB from Laney HS. The following quote came from today's paper:

"Courtney Roundtree, a Laney senior, had a scholarship offer from Division I Western Michigan this year. The school remained interested after the season and had an assistant coach in town as recent as last week, Lackey said. But later in the week, Western Michigan had no scholarship to offer after it received another commitment. Roundtree has committed to Gardner-Webb, a Football Championship Subdivision school in North Carolina."

Sounds like a good pickup for GW.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

elcid83
February 1st, 2009, 09:44 AM
Check out Tra'ves Bush from Edgefield who played RB/LB for Strom Thurmond High School. Tra'ves recently received the Deon Grant Player of the Year Award for CSRA football players.

Native son reaches back to community
By Matt Middleton| Staff Writers
Friday, January 23, 2009
Once he has played his last snap in professional football, Deon Grant said he wants to make a career of helping inner-city communities.

He showed the charm and humility that would make that an ideal job for the Seattle Seahawks safety Thursday night at The Augusta Chronicle and WJBF NewsChannel6 All-Area Football Banquet, where he told the area's top football players: It's cool to be smart.

"Make sure you make it to school and be not just an athlete, but an academic athlete," said Grant, a Josey High graduate. "Make sure you get close as you can to the guy upstairs. And make sure you're prepared. Preparation is the main thing to show all the word can pay off."

Grant spoke Thursday night at the Augusta Marriott Hotel and Suites, where the banquet honored the Georgia, South Carolina and independent all-area teams, Ray Guy Award winner Matt Fodge and three inductees in the American Football Kicking Hall of Fame.

Grant presented the Deon Grant Award, given annually to the area's top football player, to Strom Thurmond senior Tra'ves Bush.

Bush, a senior linebacker, led the area in tackles (172) on the defense that gave up only eight points per game for the 12-1 Rebels.

"It meant a lot, that all my hard work had paid off," said Bush, who is being recruited by Presbyterian, Gardner-Webb and Newberry. "To have my name in the same sentence as Deon is something else."

After the banquet, the players swarmed Grant for autographs.

"The most important thing about people who make it big is they should never forget where they come from," said Laney defensive back Cameron Stallings, who was among the players honored. "From going to a school in the inner city like Deon ... we can relate to Deon."

The Jeep Commander Award, give to the area's top quarterback, went to Burke County junior Terrell Brigham. Brigham, a first-year starter who set seven school records and helped Burke County (8-4) to a second-round Class AAA playoff appearance.

South Aiken's Ben Donath was honored by the Greater Augusta Sports Council as the area's top high school punter.

The event was sponsored by Doctors Hospital, Jeep and the Greater Augusta Sports Council.

This article is by local high school football reporter Matt Middleton:

JOHNSTON, S.C. --- Tra'ves Bush walked into Lee Sawyer's office one day last spring, and the Strom Thurmond football coach noticed something was bugging one of his top players.

Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff
Strom Thurmond linebacker Tra'ves Bush made 172 tackles on a defense that shut out six opponents during the season.
Click photo for options

Bush announced he had been accepted into the state's Governor's School, which would place him in Charleston nearly all of June to take classes in subjects like leadership and Web design. He looked terrified, apologetic.

"We demand a lot in the offseason, and he was afraid his teammates were going to see it as a way of him getting out of something," Sawyer said. "He was about the last person I had to worry about missing workouts."

Bush called Sawyer at least once a week that month, wanting updates on his teammates and making sure they were staying motivated even if he wasn't there to police their commitment.

Bush's leadership and refusal to compromise the Rebels' success extended into the fall when the senior linebacker was the heart of one of the state's best defenses. Bush is The Augusta Chronicle South Carolina Player of the Year for leading Strom Thurmond to a 12-1 season and making 172 tackles on a defense that shut out six opponents and gave up eight points per game.

"The best player on the best unit we saw all year," Silver Bluff coach Al Lown said.

Well before Bush (5-10, 185) became the player who would make more tackles than anyone in the area, his first task was tackling his mother. When she signed her son up for football in North Augusta in second grade, Sabrina Bush-Brown would often take Tra'ves to the park and attempt to teach him tackling technique.

"Show me how you're going to tackle," she would tell him. "You're going to have to hit them low."

Destructive on the field, Bush was unusually content at home, whether rustling through a book or transfixed with sports on television.

"I can't think of a time he was even in trouble," said his father, Scotty Brown. "Maybe (once) forgetting to take out the garbage or something."

As Bush grew up, he became able to make so many tackles, Sawyer explained, because of his instincts and his devotion to learning his opponent's tendencies.

"He knows what the other people do so well," he said.

Bush, who is in the top 10 of his class of about 200, likes to explain things with football metaphors. He can be quiet, his mother says, except in a football environment, where Bush said it's natural for him to be the one to organize the team. Like after its final game of the season, a state quarterfinal playoff loss to Central, when Bush texted his teammates to meet him at the school. They chatted about the game and their careers, which were now complete,

"Stuff like that is second-nature to me," Bush said.

Bush, who has scholarship offers from Division I-AA Newberry and Presbyterian, said he will pick a place to play football based on its academics. He wants to be an engineer because he excels at math and is seeking offers beyond the two he holds from liberal arts colleges.

Furman coach Bobby Lamb was at the school recently and, for a moment, Sawyer became a salesman.

"If you're lucky enough to get him, you'll be calling me back in a year saying thank you," Sawyer remembered saying. "He'd be a good ambassador for any program."

Bush, at the Governor's School this summer, found a weight room near his dorm so he could work out. He regularly joined the counselors for 5:30 a.m. runs. It was obvious he remained committed when he was back at Strom Thurmond for workouts in July. Sawyer saw him place two 45-pound weights on each side of a bench press bar and easily hoist the weight four times.

For Bush, this summer represented more than honoring his commitment away from school, his mother said.

"He needed to get out of his comfort zone," she said. "He's becoming his own person, taking initiative. That's what I tell him -- take initiative and everything will work out."

Another solid pickup for GW.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

elcid83
February 1st, 2009, 09:48 AM
http://spotted.augusta.com/display.html?event=77029604&gallery=153451&page=1&photo=658453&sort=

Here's a photo of GW commit Hudson Smith at the Augusta Chronicle All-Area Football Team banquet. Hudson is on the right in the yellow shirt sitting with his Aiken High teammate Kaleb Broome [Kaleb is headed to Georgia Military].

EagleDawg
February 1st, 2009, 10:01 AM
ElCid - Thanks for the updates on Roundtree and Bush. Did I miss something in the Bush article. I didn't see where he had actually committed to GWU. Did you hear that from another source? I had been hearing that GWU was looking at 4 OL, 4 DL and either 2 LB's and 1 DB or 2 DB's and 1 LB. That would be 11 offers and that I believe was their target although they may stretch the class out to 13 to 15 recruits. Is that sort of what you're hearing.

elcid83
February 2nd, 2009, 09:10 AM
Eagle,

Bush visited the weekend of 1/24 and committed after that visit. Your numbers are similar to what I have been hearing as well.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

EagleDawg
February 2nd, 2009, 10:02 AM
ElCi - Roundtree and Bush are good pick-ups for GWU. They help GWU hit the position targets that they wanted to address. I really do hate that Spiller jumped to Samford because the O-tackle position seems to have little depth in this year's recruiting class and to get one who was borderline D1 or SOCON quality would have been big. Had hoped to land Dylan Turner, DE out of Augusta but he decided on Air Force. It's good that GWU is targeting and in the hunt for these caliber of players and there will be disappointing recruiting losses when you do that. Just 2 days to signing day and I have us with the following: OL - Harris, Sargent and Dunaway, DL - Smith, Stone - LB/DB - Bush, Roundtree so that's 7 kids and GWU is looking to take at least 11 so hopefully they have locked in the other 4 spots and we just don't know who they are. Small class but that was expected after last year's big class. By the way, what was the deal with the Darrius Thomas West Charlotte QB from last year. He's not shown on the roster but was mentioned as a signee? Hope nothing bad happened to the kid or was it a grade issue or something else?

Thumper250
February 2nd, 2009, 02:43 PM
Roundtree's a big pickup. Will try him at safety I bet. 6-1, 190 lbs and 4.5 in the 40 are solid measurables.

According to some of my pals, G-W also has a big DL transferring in that was a 3-4 star kid in HS. Also have a very good cornerback committed that I don't have a name on.

As for Thomas (Darius), he didn't get eligible last summer following high school and is either in JUCO or prep school somewhere. Quite a talent.

g-webb1994
February 2nd, 2009, 10:32 PM
The QB position concerns me quite a bit. Doolittle is NOT the answer, but will play since daddy is on the staff.

As far as tailgating at G-W goes, it is a work in progress.

As far as taking part in 'beverage', I always kept a flask in my golf bag in my dorm room there back in the day, even when they had room searches, no RA ever thought of looking there.xthumbsupx

Our schedule in the fall is one of the best we have had, with NC State, Buffalo, WCU among others.

EagleDawg
February 3rd, 2009, 08:01 AM
G-Webb1994 - Doolittle has to be the guy going in but the Rock kid is a really good prospect by all accounts. Does anyone know whether the West Charlotte QB from last year who didn't qualify attend a prep school and if so, does he plan on signing with GWU this year? Also, some really good QB prospects for 2010. There's one at Jupiter Christian HS in FL who looks phenomenal to me. Looks like a slightly larger version of Doug Flutie. He makes a lot of DL and LB's look foolish chasing him around in his tape. Two time State Champion as a Jr. so he's a proven winner to boot. Can wing it with the best of them.

Thumper250
February 3rd, 2009, 02:32 PM
Doolittle is a good quarterback, and will be the starter again in 2009. Very experienced and saavy. The problems he does have come back to suspect OL play from the games I've seen. I think that will be improved in 2009, as they have some young tackles who are big boys that redshirted last fall (Harrison Martin, Stan Demilo) and a strong class of OL coming in (Harris, Dunaway, Sargent).

Thomas, from what I've heard from folks in the Charlotte area, is at a community college presently. I'd think he'll go JUCO and be available for the Class of 2011.

and John Rock is a player by all accounts at QB. Redshirted last year. One of G-Ws former coaches keeps in touch with the current staff from time to time. He says they love the kid's potential. Big arm, great runner.

Signing day should be fun this year again.

EagleDawg
February 4th, 2009, 07:53 AM
It's Official, OL Jeff Harris, East Forsyth HS, NC signed and faxed his NLI this morning at 7:01 am to Gardner-Webb. The kid is now a Runnin BullDog. Anyone know whether there will be an Official Press Release Later today on the GWU signings. If you know of or can confirm a Signing of other kids, please post it. Harris had also considered Wofford, Appalachian State, Elon Furman and Coastal Carolina.

Thumper250
February 4th, 2009, 09:59 AM
They (G-W) normally do a big release once everyone faxes in their NLIs. At least that's how it's been in the past. Normally mid afternoon to late afternoon.

elcid83
February 4th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Hudson Smith just faxed his LOI to GWU.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

EagleDawg
February 4th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Where's that BullDawg announcement for this year's recruiting class? Read elsewhere that another OL, last name Moore, first name unknown had signed with GW. Anybody got info. on that signee? Most of the SOCON schools and several of the Big South schools have released their signee list. Let's go Dawgs, publish that list.

Thumper250
February 4th, 2009, 05:37 PM
G-W announced 11 signings late this afternoon.

http://www.gwusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=3663001&DB_OEM_ID=10300

Biggest pickups appear to be Harris (OL), Stone (DE), Dunaway (OL) and Matt Goods (DL). Goods is a 3-star guy on Rivals.com.

EagleDawg
February 4th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Thumper - I like the group of signees as a whole and it sounds like there may be a few more announcements over the next few days. They did well along the lines with good balance there. I believe that all of these lineman will become significant contributors. There will be some good candidates out there still who slipped through the cracks. Hope the Dawgs can land a couple of those to finish out this class. Looks like they are laying off the QB position for this class and will focus on that position next season. With Doolittle a Sr., and Rock a rising sophomore they should be okay going into next season at QB. Next event up is a chance to meet these recruits at the Spring Game in March or April. Looking forward to that and maybe we can meet up with some of you Dawg fans.

OLDLCOACH111
February 4th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Actually.. QB John Rock will be a red-shirt freshman next season... It looks like they also signed some players as "athletes" who have the potential to play QB if needed..... With the few scholarships they had, this was a Solid class...

EagleDawg
February 5th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Good clarification on QB - Rock so he has 4 yrs. of eligibility left. Hope to see maybe a tall OT prospect, WR and RB taken over the next few days to round out the class, maybe a specialist punter/placekicker also. The 11 kids announced yesterday are a solid group that the coaches seem extremely excited about.

Thumper250
February 5th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Considering the low number of scholarships that came available with graduation (G-W has most of its team coming back for 2009), this is a tremendous class. Talking with my guy on campus this morning, the Nick Stone kid was a guy all the area FCS schools thought was headed to the ACC (NC State) or MAC (Ohio/Akron). Ohio proved simply too far from home. He's a horse.

The other defensive guys can go too. I'm particularly fascinated by Matt Goods from NJ and Roundtree from Georgia. Both very strong prospects. Not very often G-W lands any 3-star rated recruits on either side of the football. Goods is, I'm guessing from reading his creds, very good. And big.

They apparently signed the top two DL on their board in Stone and Goods. Throw in some great versatility with H. Smith, Kennan Grisset and Sargent.

Grisset had been committed to Alabama A&M for over a month and changed his mind late last week. Can play on either side of the ball apparently.

And I am told there will be a few more good one's in the boat by next week.

EagleDawg
February 5th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Thumper - The Coaches sound confident in landing a few more signees by next week. Are you hearing any names or positions targeted for these additional players? The one thing that strikes me about the 11 players announced yesterday is that I can see each of them being major contributors early in their careers. Whether any of them come in and start as true freshman remains to be seen. The speed of the game is about to be stepped up for these guys so I expect some period of adjustment to take place. For some it will take longer than others but each of these kids appears to have what it takes to get major minutes in their GWU careers. The other thing that I really like is that they are accustomed to winning and winning often. Go Dawgs!

Thumper250
February 5th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I did hear they were hopeful of signing a very good quarterback, but didn't get a name or where he might be from.

Knowing what I know as far as needs, I would guess one more DL, maybe an offensive tackle to go with those good ones they got yesterday. Patton tends to like to sign one really fast guy every year too, so we'll see if they address that.

I know this. You can never have too many corners or too many DL. Those guys get tired, and banged up. Same could be said for OL, but they seem to have covered that for the most part.

Not a ton of holes to fill on the depth chart, but this group should properly address what they need immediately. Depth on the OL and DL. The 2009 season got better Wednesday afternoon, and that's tough to do with a recruiting class.

EagleDawg
February 5th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Thumper - You have a private message!

britt
February 5th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Dawg since you mentioned Spring game, what is the progress of the strong safety that broke his leg last year during the Spring Game. I hear he along with Williams could have made a great impact on the defensive side of the ball. Do anyone know if he will be back this year?

britt
February 5th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Thumper are you familiar with the progress of the safety that broke his leg durning the spring game, he appeared to be very aggressive defensively and showed a lot of speed

EagleDawg
February 5th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Britt - I'm a fairly new Dawg so I am unaware of the situation with the Safety that you mentioned. I do know that with Williams back that the Dawgs LB Corp for next year will be about as tough and bad as they come. If the secondary can hold up and improve statistically over last year then the Dawgs Defense may post some pretty impressive performances. Glad to hear other Dawg fans start to post a bit. I was beginning to think only Thumper250 and ElCid were regulars on AGS but I may be mistaken. I have one of the new Dawgs in the pound so I'll be around for awhile.

britt
February 5th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Thanks dawg, I love Football and will keep posting, I watched the team play GT and there defense was awesome. Williams is a good one and the secondary seem to be pretty good as well, the player with the broken leg was James (last name)

elcid83
February 6th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Actually.. QB John Rock will be a red-shirt freshman next season... It looks like they also signed some players as "athletes" who have the potential to play QB if needed..... With the few scholarships they had, this was a Solid class...

Coach, Keenan Grisset may be the kid on board who they are planning to use at QB. The stats in his bio posted on the GW website are pretty impressive and his HS ran an offensive scheme similar to GW's.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

elcid83
February 6th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Britt - I'm a fairly new Dawg so I am unaware of the situation with the Safety that you mentioned. I do know that with Williams back that the Dawgs LB Corp for next year will be about as tough and bad as they come. If the secondary can hold up and improve statistically over last year then the Dawgs Defense may post some pretty impressive performances. Glad to hear other Dawg fans start to post a bit. I was beginning to think only Thumper250 and ElCid were regulars on AGS but I may be mistaken. I have one of the new Dawgs in the pound so I'll be around for awhile.

Eagle, I'm not really an oldtimer here either. Like you, I have one of the puppies in this new class. It sounds like a lot of the posters on here may be in our same situation. I know we have heard from Jamie Dunaway's family who we got to meet during our official visit [and they know how I feel about Byrnes HS]. I also don't mind telling everyone that my puppy is Hudson Smith from Aiken HS. Maybe some of the other newcomers can come clean with their identities and we can make this a productive place to get to know everyone before the upcoming spring game and next season.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

EagleDawg
February 6th, 2009, 09:58 AM
ElCid - Congrats to your son. I know you have to be a proud dad. I certainly am. EagleDawg Jr. is Jeff Harris. I feel like our pound of pups are already full grown Dawgs if not a bit on the youthful side still. These 11 kids had a combined HS Senior Year record of 110-26-1 if I counted it up right. This is a winning group who made deep runs into the playoffs and in some cases won state championships or lost to the eventual state champion. The future is bright at GWU. The coaching staff and facilities are really good and playing games against the likes of Mississippi State, GA. Tech, NC State, Buffalo and others yet to be announced will give these kids a chance to compete on the large stage. The Dawgs should be able to continue to build this program such that they consistently challenge for the Big South crown and earn that automatic FCS Bid coming in 2010. For 2009, let's dream of winning conference and earning an At-Large Bid. CCU has proved that it can happen. Go Dawgs!!xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

EagleDawg
February 6th, 2009, 10:11 AM
The eleven signees to date for GWU are listed below. Through the AGS Board 3 of the players dad's have posted and identified their sons. Hopefully other player's famiily members are or will soon be posters on AGS. We're all part of the Runnin Bulldog Family now and it would be great to post with you. Hopefully everyone will make it to the Spring Game where we will get a chance to meet in person. Not only should we all be proud of our kids but there should be a lot of fun and good times to share over the next several years. I've placed the poster's AGS moniker beside the player as it's known to date. Other's if you wish, please feel free to post and identify your favorite new Dawg.

Sean Davis * 5-11 * 160 * CB * Locust Grove, Ga. / Luella HS
Jamie Dunaway * 6-4 * 265 * OL * Duncan, S.C. / Byrnes HS (BulldogDad)
Matt Goods * 6-3 * 275 * DL * Newark, N.J. / Milford (NY) Academy
Keenan Grissett * 6-2 * 210 * ATH * Augusta, Ga. / Cross Creek HS
Jeff Harris * 6-2 * 265 * OL * Winston-Salem, N.C. / East Forsyth HS (EagleDawg)
James Harrill * 6-2 * 307 * OL * Knoxville, Tenn. / Hargrave Military
Jonathan Langston * 5-11 * 210 * LB * Snellville, Ga. / Grayson HS
Courtney Roundtree * 6-1 * 190 * DB * Augusta, Ga. / Laney HS
Austin Sargent * 6-3 * 265 * OL * Ninety Six, S.C. / Ninety Six HS
Hudson Smith * 6-1 * 230 * ATH * Aiken, S.C. / Aiken HS (ElCid83)
Nick Stone * 6-3 * 245 * DE * Durham, N.C. / Hillside HS

Our Official Visit occurred the first weekend and we had a chance to meet the Grissetts and Langstons. Looking forward to meeting the rest of the families soon.

elcid83
February 6th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Eagle - Congrats to you and Jeff. Look forward to meeting you guys. Aiken High went 9-3 last year last year so we can help with the W&Ls a little.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

EagleDawg
February 6th, 2009, 02:45 PM
ElCid83 - Thanks for the well wishes. Did you guys get to meet any of the other signees and their families besides the Dunaways during your Official Visit? As soon as we get a Spring Practice Schedule we hope to get down for a practice or two in addition to the Spring Game, it's only about a 2 hr. drive for us. Jeff's older brother ironically is a sophmore at NC State (Prof. Golf Mgmt. Major/non-football player) who the Dawgs play the third week of the season. We've told him he can't go wrong wearing red that day but that he better put blood before school.

Thumper250
February 6th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Gentlemen. Looking at the Charlotte Observer last night, I did notice that G-W has signed another D Lineman. Hasn't been added to the official site yet, so they may be waiting on paperwork still.

The kid is Xavier Montague. 6-2, 243 with 4.73 speed in the 40 according to Scout.com profile. Played at Independence High. Big time school in this area (Charlotte/Rock Hill).

Thumper250
February 6th, 2009, 03:04 PM
and this is off subject, not recruit related, but I did hear from a family friend there at G-W that their receiver, Dobson Collins, who finished up last year, was really good at that Texas Nation All-Star game last weekend. They're hearing he could go 5th or 6th round in the draft this April.

elcid83
February 6th, 2009, 03:20 PM
ElCid83 - Thanks for the well wishes. Did you guys get to meet any of the other signees and their families besides the Dunaways during your Official Visit? As soon as we get a Spring Practice Schedule we hope to get down for a practice or two in addition to the Spring Game, it's only about a 2 hr. drive for us. Jeff's older brother ironically is a sophmore at NC State (Prof. Golf Mgmt. Major/non-football player) who the Dawgs play the third week of the season. We've told him he can't go wrong wearing red that day but that he better put blood before school.

We also met the Sargents on our trip. They are a really good crew from Ninety Six HS and their son Austin is a heckuva nice kid and he will play O line for us. We also met Sean Davis and his mom. Sean is a real quiet kid and you get a feeling from him that he likes to do his "talking" on the football field.

On Signing Day, we attended a local Signing Day party in Augusta where the local sports talk show was interviewing all of the local signees. We got to meet Keenan Grissett and his family and Courtney Roundtree and his family - both played HS football in the Augusta area and both kids were really solid kids. I'm sure you got the sense when you visited GW that all of the kids that were there [and their families] were just really solid people. Should be alot of fun getting to know all of these guys and their families.

BTW, my email is [email protected] - send me a note when you get a chance and I will get my contact info to you.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

EagleDawg
February 6th, 2009, 03:54 PM
With the signing of another DL, I see the Dawgs maybe trying to land another DB, WR or RB. Not many bit OL Tackles out there so I don't know whether they are trying to still find one or not. Jamey Dunaway played some tackle at Byrnes and has the height and wing span to play their even though he finished up at the OG spot in HS. BullDogDad, what you think, Jamey can play either spot right, OT or OG?

Thumper250
February 6th, 2009, 07:40 PM
britt, the safety I think you are thinking about is Chris James from Sandy Creek down in Atlanta. Good player from what I saw his freshman year on special teams. Pretty good sized safety. He redshirted, or was supposed to redshirt, last I heard in 2008. He was full speed from what I was told at the end of 2008 fall practices.

I missed the spring game last year, but heard that was a nasty collision in the rain down there.

bulldogdad
February 6th, 2009, 08:36 PM
EagleDawg, Jamie started @ LG as a sophmore and LT as a junoir and senoir. He is comfortable at either tackle spot. Saw a lot of talent in practice. Stanley Hunter-Clemson and Everette Dawkins- Florida State. I met a lot of families of incoming recruits and agree that we have a lot of nice people that we will look forward to getting to know. We will all have to get together during the spring game/practice.

EagleDawg
February 6th, 2009, 08:47 PM
BullDogDad - Sorry, had it backwards regarding Jamey's finishing position on the OL his senior year. That's what happens when the hair starts getting a little gray in it, the recollection of what you might have read somewhere is not clear. It's good news though that he is a natural tackle. If he does project at tackle that would give the Dawgs 3 of 5 OL spots for the future (OT, OG, C). Not bad and now it looks like three DL too. Two DE's and a DT. Looking forward to meeting everyone at the Spring Game also. Spoke w/ Hudson Smith's dad today and we were both pretty excited about the opportunities ahead for all our kids. Coach Patton must be pretty happy with the way things are shaking out recruiting wise.

EagleDawg
February 7th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Looks like Gardner Webb did pick up another DL in this 2009 Class based on the story in the AJC Article (see link below). Zach Shelton DL 6-1, 235 out of Marietta, GA. He's listed under the Cobb County signees. With Zach on board, GWU has signed 5 DL (Goods, Stone, Smith, Montague and Shelton) to go along with 4 OL. As previously stated the coaching staff has focused heavily on the line positions on both sides of the ball. 9 of 13 signees are lineman. Curious what other positions may be added to the group. I'm thinking WR,DB and possibly QB. Welcome to the new Dawgs Montague and Shelton. ElCid, you didn't have bad info. after all it appears as it relates to Shelton.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/shared-blogs/ajc/cfbrecruit/entries/2009/02/04/metro_atlanta_p.html

elcid83
February 7th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Looks like Gardner Webb did pick up another DL in this 2009 Class based on the story in the AJC Article (see link below). Zach Shelton DL 6-1, 235 out of Marietta, GA. He's listed under the Cobb County signees. With Zach on board, GWU has signed 5 DL (Goods, Stone, Smith, Montague and Shelton) to go along with 4 OL. As previously stated the coaching staff has focused heavily on the line positions on both sides of the ball. 9 of 13 signees are lineman. Curious what other positions may be added to the group. I'm thinking WR,DB and possibly QB. Welcome to the new Dawgs Montague and Shelton. ElCid, you didn't have bad info. after all it appears as it relates to Shelton.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/shared-blogs/ajc/cfbrecruit/entries/2009/02/04/metro_atlanta_p.html

Another great pickup for the Runnin' Bulldogs! Zach is a very solid kid and comes with a great set of parents. His Mom is looking for some good old fashioned South Carolina BBQ and I will be more than happy to oblige. Welcome aboard Zach.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

bulldogdad
February 8th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Another great pickup for the Runnin' Bulldogs! Zach is a very solid kid and comes with a great set of parents. His Mom is looking for some good old fashioned South Carolina BBQ and I will be more than happy to oblige. Welcome aboard Zach.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

I smell a cookout during the Spring Game!

EagleDawg
February 8th, 2009, 03:01 PM
BullDogDad - If a cookout becomes part of the day at the Spring Game, then count the EagleDawg gang in. OLineman and their biggest fans never miss an opportunity to chow down especially when it's hot off the grill. Keep us posted on the details and what we can do to contribute.

britt
February 8th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Thunder thanks, I wasn't sure if it was the same kid, I am from the atlanta area and I watched him play when he was at Sandy Creek, he was an awesome athlete while in high school and was a big hitter. He was a great basketball player as well. I think if he can come back from the broken leg he could be a force in the secondary, quick to the ball, good speed side line to side line and covered very well. He was extremely aggressive to the ball in high school.

EagleDawg
February 8th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Britt - See that you're a fairly new poster on AGS. You wouldn't have a new pup too for the GWU Dawg Pound would you? Several of the new GWU posters like I have new pups in the pound and are excited about and looking forward to not only the upcoming season but to the next several years. It looks like a really good recruiting class that addresses the specific needs mentioned by the coaching staff both in terms of depth and quality. Looking back at the stories on last year's games, there were at least 3 or 4 where numerous turnovers resulted in losses even though the Dawgs put up impressive numbers for total yards. The Defense should be really good with the linebackers they have coming back. I believe they finished ranked 3rd in the FCS last year for rushing yards allowed.

britt
February 8th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Eagle I love football and try to keep up with the kids from the atlanta area that go to the bigsouth schools, I find that most of those kids could play at any big D1 schools, I have a kid that I worked with in AAU and he was recruited by Charleston Southern last year and red shirted. I was surfing the net and came across this site and watched GWU against GT. They played them better than any team all year.......

busybee14
February 9th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Eagledawg,Did someone mention BBQ?What a great recruiting tool.Do they have some good eats in Boiling Springs?

EagleDawg
February 9th, 2009, 12:56 PM
busybee14 - Haven't had a chance yet to scope out the establishments in Boiling Springs but to be sure they will be few in number. Shelby is only 5-6 miles away and has more options and Gaffney, SC is around 13 miles or so to open it up even more. The tough thing about barbecue is that each State has their version so people are often surprised when they order it from an area away from home. In NC we even have two styles, Lexington (tomato/ketchup based) and Eastern (vinegar based). I have the good fortune in my hometown to be able to have access to both at a little place called Prissy Polly's.

What's your take on the GWU signees to date? They made a push for lineman and it seems as if they hit their targeted positions. Still no announced QB even though one ATH, the Grissett kid played QB in HS. Is BusyBee JR. getting amped up about his turn coming up in the 2010 recruiting? Sure would like to see him become a Dawg if that's what he would like to do. Sounds like he may have plenty of options. I know he'll make you proud.

elcid83
February 9th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Guys,

I found this website/ bulletin board for Gardner Webb stuff. It is actually a board that covers all college football, but there is a specific GW board. Hasn't gotten a lot of traffic over the years, but, this should give us a place to go to talk about GW football.

http://ncaabbs.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=326

busybee14
February 9th, 2009, 05:59 PM
busybee14 - Haven't had a chance yet to scope out the establishments in Boiling Springs but to be sure they will be few in number. Shelby is only 5-6 miles away and has more options and Gaffney, SC is around 13 miles or so to open it up even more. The tough thing about barbecue is that each State has their version so people are often surprised when they order it from an area away from home. In NC we even have two styles, Lexington (tomato/ketchup based) and Eastern (vinegar based). I have the good fortune in my hometown to be able to have access to both at a little place called Prissy Polly's.

What's your take on the GWU signees to date? They made a push for lineman and it seems as if they hit their targeted positions. Still no announced QB even though one ATH, the Grissett kid played QB in HS. Is BusyBee JR. getting amped up about his turn coming up in the 2010 recruiting? Sure would like to see him become a Dawg if that's what he would like to do. Sounds like he may have plenty of options. I know he'll make you proud.

I really like what GWU did with the big boys.A few names I am still checking out as they were new to my recruiting info.All in all I can see why you guys are all smiles.

Lots of good stuff going on for LIL BEE,a few new paths and some continued solid existing options.His Coaches have been busy getting the word out as well.Alot of off season exposure stuff starts this week.ill shout at ya via email and fill you in

I am a vinegar based guy myself,with lots of coleslaw.I am also a sucker for some good lean BBQ briscuit with a side of greens.

Thumper250
February 11th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Just got an email. Gardner-Webb signed three more today.

QB Chandler Browning, 6'3, 225 from Raleigh Broughton
OL Xavier Armstrong, 6'1, 305 from Reedley JC
OL Xavier Montage, 6'2, 255 from Charlotte Independence

Browning looks highly rated (rivals 2 stars).

EagleDawg
February 11th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Browning by all accounts has the potential to be a stellar QB. He has good size, throws the ball well, appears to be capable of making all of the throws at the collegiate level and from what I understand was being looked at early by Maryland. Xavier Montague may have played both ways on the line in HS but I believe he may have been recruited to play DL. Xavier Armstrong at 303 lbs. gives the Dawgs two large OG's in this class. Trying to address two Xavier's leads me to say let' s just call them XM and XA.

The link to the GWU announcement on these 3 additional recruits is:

http://www.gwusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=3667627&DB_OEM_ID=10300

Go Dawgs!xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

elcid83
February 11th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Just got an email. Gardner-Webb signed three more today.

QB Chandler Browning, 6'3, 225 from Raleigh Broughton
OL Xavier Armstrong, 6'1, 305 from Reedley JC
OL Xavier Montage, 6'2, 255 from Charlotte Independence

Browning looks highly rated (rivals 2 stars).

Welcome aboard guys! I'm really looking forward to watching you play the next 4-5 years.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

g-webb1994
February 11th, 2009, 06:07 PM
and this is off subject, not recruit related, but I did hear from a family friend there at G-W that their receiver, Dobson Collins, who finished up last year, was really good at that Texas Nation All-Star game last weekend. They're hearing he could go 5th or 6th round in the draft this April.

Hope he has a better start to his NFL career than Johnston did at KC this past season, finishing on the IR.

elcid83
February 12th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Aiken and Augusta papers are reporting this morning that Tra'ves Bush has signed his letter of intent to play for Navy. Good new for him and bad news for us. Tra'ves would have been an excellent pickup for us. He was small for a LB, but he could lay the wood, did well in school and was loaded up with character. Good luck Tra'ves.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

adrianb
February 12th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Eagledawg,Did someone mention BBQ?What a great recruiting tool.Do they have some good eats in Boiling Springs?

Shelby has most of the chain restaurants and there a some nice places in downtown. If you like BBQ there is Bridges BBQ in Shelby.

The best place to get breakfast is the Snack Shop right across campus. I a partial to the Bulldog Quick Snack on the other side of the red light. Great old G-W signs there.
Boiling Springs also has two pretty good Italian/Greek restaurants.

EagleDawg
February 12th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Dawg Fans - Does anyone have any insight as to whether or not GWU is finished with this year's football recruiting after yesterday's announcement of the 3 additional signees (Chandler, Xavier and Xavier)? Also based on past seasons, when does GWU announce their spring practice schedule? And finally, any ideas on whom GWU is looking to try and schedule to fill that last spot in this upcoming year's schedule? There is a link here on AGS on FCS schedules. The Dawgs have 10 games shown with an open date on Sept. 5 and another in October. Based on the home and away schedule, it sure would be nice to land another home game and preferrably on Sept. 5. Is it likely they will have to go the D2 route to pick up that home game?

OLDLCOACH111
February 12th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Hope he has a better start to his NFL career than Johnston did at KC this past season, finishing on the IR.

Johnston's IR was due to a lingering problem he has had since playing at GW. He still could of played the season out. Towards the end of the season, they decided to go ahead and get surgery so he could be full go by time mini camp.... As a result, they had to place him on IR... They like him allot out there... If not, they simply would of just waivered him.

Thumper250
February 12th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Johnston had a good rookie year man. Played a ton more than they expected in KC as a 7th round rookie. He's got a bright future.

GridFan
February 14th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Any word on the spring game? Word around campus is that practice starts in week or two.

Good recruiting group for not having many scholarships to work with and not many seniors last year. I heard back in November they only planned to sign 11 or 12 kids.

GridFan
February 14th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Hopefully the schedule is done soon too. I'd like to see if I can make it a few games in 2009.

g-webb1994
February 14th, 2009, 11:27 AM
G-W is working on a game with Bethune-Cookman for September 5th. Not sure if it will be in Boiling Springs or Daytona Beach. Both G-W and BCC both sit at four true home games right now, although BCC plays the annual Florida classic in nearby Orlando.

EagleDawg
February 14th, 2009, 07:26 PM
It would be tough to only end up with 4 home games next season but if the Dawgs had to, I certainly couldn't think of many better places to be for a Labor Day Weekend Saturday Game than Daytona Beach.

g-webb1994
February 18th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Man football season can't get here fast enough.

Having to watch (in person too) our mens hoops team implode into mediocrity with no hope for a new coach anytime in the next decade, makes me want to see this good recruiting class Patton has put together, even with as few as four home games in the fall.

EagleDawg
February 19th, 2009, 11:31 AM
g-webb1994, What's up with the b-ball team? They are not that far removed from the well publicized win over Kentucky last season. Did they lose a lot to graduation? Are they a young team? I sense from your comment that the head coach was signed to a long term contract and that GWU will stick with him because of it, is that right?

As for football, any updates on the final game scheduling? Will it be Bethune-Cookman? Is it more likely that the Dawgs travel to Daytona versus getting that fifth homegame? With the experience and large number of returnees plus the recruiting class, the Dawgs should be primed for a good season although it is a pretty tough schedule with 2 BCS schools, so few home games and the continued improvement of other Big South Schools, especially Chuck South and Stony Brook. 7-4 would be good, 8-3 really good and 9-2 outstanding.

Hearing that the Spring Game is set for March 28th so Spring Practice is right around the corner. Hang in there!

Go Runnin Bulldogs!!xnodxxnodxxnodx

g-webb1994
February 19th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Hoops wise, Scruggs has been through the whole NCAA probation that cost the college President his job, several verbal explosions on and off the court, etc. The win at Rupp makes him Teflon, he isn't going anywhere. The hoops program needs a fresh start.

Nothing else on the Bethune Cookman possibility.

wilddog96
March 1st, 2009, 08:45 PM
Hey EagleDawg,elcid83 and bulldogdad. I am Dad number 4 my son is Austin Sargent. We are so happy to be a bulldog.
EagleDawg I can't wait to meet Jeff and the family I have heard alot of great things about Jeff. elcid83 it was great seeing you guys in Columbia we will see you on the 28th. bulldogdad tell Jamie we are so happy that he will be a bulldog and sorry we were not able to see you guys in Columbia but we will see you at the games.
Any info on the Schedule I see where Tenn Tech dropped us?

EagleDawg
March 2nd, 2009, 11:04 AM
WildDog96 - Look forward to meeting you guys too. I saw Austin a couple of time through last summer and into the fall. Jeff and he both attended the ASU Senior Elite Camp and made a couple of unofficial visits on gamedays at some of the same SOCON schools. Can't recall specifically the ones but we were at the following: Furman vs Western, Western vs Wofford, Elon vs Samford, Elon vs Wofford, ASU vs The Citadel and ASU vs Elon and then Big South Coastal Carolina vs Charleston Southern. We will be definitely be at the GWU Spring Game and are trying to make it down for a practice or two before then. Jeff is certainly looking forward to getting to GWU. Is Austin planning on enrolling for 2nd session summer school? Jeff is, I believe it starts June 25th.

wilddog96
March 2nd, 2009, 02:26 PM
Yes Austin is going to the 2nd session of summer school. I thought you were the guys at ASU. We were at the Western and Wofford game. We are going to try and get to some practices but will be at the spring game for sure.

elcid83
March 2nd, 2009, 02:33 PM
Hey EagleDawg,elcid83 and bulldogdad. I am Dad number 4 my son is Austin Sargent. We are so happy to be a bulldog.
EagleDawg I can't wait to meet Jeff and the family I have heard alot of great things about Jeff. elcid83 it was great seeing you guys in Columbia we will see you on the 28th. bulldogdad tell Jamie we are so happy that he will be a bulldog and sorry we were not able to see you guys in Columbia but we will see you at the games.
Any info on the Schedule I see where Tenn Tech dropped us?

Wilddog,

Glad to see you on board with the rest of the proud papas! I am confident that the Smiths will be at the spring game. I don't know if we will be up before then. My understanding of the practice schedule is that they will practice Monday and Wednesday of this week and then go off on spring break next week. If anybody has seen the spring schedule, please post it on here.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!