PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Hauck=Bob Stoops

rob_p469
January 9th, 2009, 01:28 PM
With the sincere hope that this doesn't turn into yet another thread debating Coach Hauck's credentials, I would like to put forth my opinion. Bobby Hauck is the FCS version of Bob Stoops. And I am totally OK with that. "Big Game Bob" has lost the last 3 NC games he has been in, and 5 straight BCS bowls. Yet he is still considered one of the elite coaches in all of college football. He is even under serious consideration for the premiere available NFL job, for the Broncos.

Stoops consistently wins a (mostly) mediocre conference with only 1 or 2 games a year that pose a real threat. That is why he has lost 5 straight BCS bowls. This is not a knock on Stoops, I think he is a phenomenal coach. It is just the reality of the landscape of the FBS right now.

Now Hauck. Consistently wins a (supposedly) mediocre conference with only 1 or 2 games a year that pose a real threat. And Hauck can't gameplan against the location of the FBS schools. You play who you can play when you can, and you take care of your conference year in and year out. That is the mark of a great coach. Both Coach Stoops and Coach Hauck have done the most with what they have, and for that I will always consider them both great coaches. Consistency is the most difficult thing to sustain in any level of football, and it takes a great coach to be there year in and year out. Too many people get caught up in the HAVE TO factor of winning the championship everytime you get there. It is a very special thing to win a NC game, and to expect it every year just because the shirt you are wearing has a Griz logo on it seems a little far fetched. Just my 2 cents, feel free to tear it apart now. xpeacex

Thunderstruck84
January 9th, 2009, 01:56 PM
The comparison between the two coaches is very good. Stoops built Oklahoma back up moreso than Hauck due to the fact that Montana was already at the pinnacle when he took over. They both were brought into excellent situations in regards to support and resources but both have lofty expectations that despite their significant successes leave them open to criticism from their demanding fan bases.

I think comparing the Big 12 to the Big Sky is a stretch though, the Big 12 has been much better than mediocre, especially the last couple years. Both of the last two years they have had teams (Missouri in 2007 and Texas Tech this year) who were left out of the BCS because of the stupid 2 team per conference limit. I'd compare the Big Sky moreso to the MWC; very good at the top, very bad at the bottom, looked down upon and disrespected by the supposed power conferences.

rob_p469
January 9th, 2009, 02:04 PM
The comparison between the two coaches is very good. Stoops built Oklahoma back up moreso than Hauck due to the fact that Montana was already at the pinnacle when he took over. They both were brought into excellent situations in regards to support and resources but both have lofty expectations that despite their significant successes leave them open to criticism from their demanding fan bases.

I think comparing the Big 12 to the Big Sky is a stretch though, the Big 12 has been much better than mediocre, especially the last couple years. Both of the last two years they have had teams (Missouri in 2007 and Texas Tech this year) who were left out of the BCS because of the stupid 2 team per conference limit. I'd compare the Big Sky moreso to the MWC; very good at the top, very bad at the bottom, looked down upon and disrespected by the supposed power conferences.

I would say the Big 12 is a lot like the Big Sky. Texas Tech got embarrased during bowl season because they were more fluff than substance. Same goes for Missouri in 07. Texas Tech and Missouri (and the other middle of the road Big 12 teams) are alot like Eastern Washington, Weber State, and Northern Arizona. Once every 5 or ten years, one of these teams rises up and plays over their head. (See Eastern thrashing #1 McNeese in the first round a couple years ago) But both conferences have one (sometimes two) great teams, and everybody else is average.

appfan2008
January 9th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I am gonna agree with thunderstruck... the big 12 is a better fbs conference than big sky is fcs conference...

Thunderstruck84
January 9th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I doubt the Big Sky has ever had 5 teams ranked in the top 20 practically all season much less 3 in the top 5 for a month. Don't put too much weight on a bowl game which, unless you're Oklahoma or Florida, is essentially a glorified exhibition game.

catatac
January 9th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I would say the Big 12 is a lot like the Big Sky. Texas Tech got embarrased during bowl season because they were more fluff than substance. Same goes for Missouri in 07. Texas Tech and Missouri (and the other middle of the road Big 12 teams) are alot like Eastern Washington, Weber State, and Northern Arizona. Once every 5 or ten years, one of these teams rises up and plays over their head. (See Eastern thrashing #1 McNeese in the first round a couple years ago) But both conferences have one (sometimes two) great teams, and everybody else is average.

So where would Montana State fit into your comparison?

TheValleyRaider
January 9th, 2009, 03:18 PM

Sounds like you get to be Texas :D xcoolx xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

yosef1969
January 9th, 2009, 03:51 PM
With the sincere hope that this doesn't turn into yet another thread debating Coach Hauck's credentials, I would like to put forth my opinion. Bobby Hauck is the FCS version of Bob Stoops. And I am totally OK with that. "Big Game Bob" has lost the last 3 NC games he has been in, and 5 straight BCS bowls. Yet he is still considered one of the elite coaches in all of college football. He is even under serious consideration for the premiere available NFL job, for the Broncos.

Stoops consistently wins a (mostly) mediocre conference with only 1 or 2 games a year that pose a real threat. That is why he has lost 5 straight BCS bowls. This is not a knock on Stoops, I think he is a phenomenal coach. It is just the reality of the landscape of the FBS right now.

Now Hauck. Consistently wins a (supposedly) mediocre conference with only 1 or 2 games a year that pose a real threat. And Hauck can't gameplan against the location of the FBS schools. You play who you can play when you can, and you take care of your conference year in and year out. That is the mark of a great coach. Both Coach Stoops and Coach Hauck have done the most with what they have, and for that I will always consider them both great coaches. Consistency is the most difficult thing to sustain in any level of football, and it takes a great coach to be there year in and year out. Too many people get caught up in the HAVE TO factor of winning the championship everytime you get there. It is a very special thing to win a NC game, and to expect it every year just because the shirt you are wearing has a Griz logo on it seems a little far fetched. Just my 2 cents, feel free to tear it apart now. xpeacex

One big difference, Stoops has a ring.

Screamin_Eagle174
January 9th, 2009, 05:03 PM

Sounds like you get to be Texas :D xcoolx xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

I'd say more like Colorado. xlolx

CrazyCat
January 9th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I'd say more like Colorado. xlolx

And since MSU and EWU were tied at 5-3 that would make EWU like Baylor.

Green26
January 9th, 2009, 07:03 PM
The Big Sky conference has been one of the top I-AA conferences for years. I believe it was the 3rd rated conference this year, according to Sagarin, and the 2nd rated conference, according to Massey.

The Big Sky is the 2nd rated conference in the past 10 or so years, according to Sagarin, I believe. I once did the research, but don't recall for sure that it was 2nd (or 3rd).

In the past 10 or so years, the Big Sky has been rated above the Southern Conference in all but 2 years, according to Sagarin.

In the 5-year period from 2002 - 2006, the Big Sky was the top rated conference, according to Sagarin.

I'm doing this all from memory, as I don't have my notes in front of me (from when I did this research previously).

Anyone who considers the Big Sky mediorce or looks down on the conference, doesn't know what he's talking about, in my view.

already123
January 9th, 2009, 09:01 PM
is Hauck supposed to be going anywhere this season?

GrizFanStuckInUtah
January 9th, 2009, 11:35 PM
is Hauck supposed to be going anywhere this season?

Doesn't sound like it. I hope he doesn't, stability is a good thing and he deserves to stay if he wants to.

NZNCRZY
January 11th, 2009, 11:10 AM
[QUOTE]

Where did you hear he is being considered by the Broncos??