PDA

View Full Version : S.C. State must wait

R.A.
November 20th, 2005, 12:27 AM
S.C. State must wait
By THOMAS GRANT JR., T&D Senior Sports Writer

And now they wait.

After 11 regular-season games and countless hours and days of practice, the immediate future of the South Carolina State football team falls in the hands of the NCAA Division I-AA Selection Committee. Having completed a second straight 9-2 season with a more difficult schedule and closing out a third straight year with four straight victories, the Bulldogs have left their fate to this group of athletics directors and Division I-AA observers.

By 1 p.m. today, the committee will determine whether SCSU will play again this Saturday or begin the process of turning in the pads and cleats and starting the off-season conditioning.

Some, like SCSU head football coach Oliver “Buddy” Pough, were already preparing for the worst following Saturday’s 43-27 win over North Carolina A&T. After hearing about two games where teams which needed to win to boost SCSU’s chances (Montana and McNeese State) did not, Pough sounded ready to write the 2005 Bulldogs’ obituary.

“It does not look good right now,” said a blunt Pough following the game.

Read the complete story at http://www.thetandd.com/articles/2005/11/19/sports/doc43800e99db39e930594598.txt

FlyYtown
November 20th, 2005, 12:29 AM
YSU arguably is the better team at 8-3 with the better schedule.. That is one hurdle for SCSU that they prob. won't get by.

FlyBoy8
November 20th, 2005, 02:14 AM
Can't shed too many tears for SCSU. They had their chances.

Mr. C
November 20th, 2005, 02:31 AM
The loss to Coastal Carolina spelled the end for South Carolina State as an at-large team. Even if the committee was considering the Bulldogs, how could you pick them ahead of the Chanticleers? Both were 9-2. Both played weak schedules (CCU's was better) and CCU won head-to-head.

Catmendue2
November 20th, 2005, 02:34 AM
The loss to Coastal Carolina spelled the end for South Carolina State as an at-large team. Even if the committee was considering the Bulldogs, how could you pick them ahead of the Chanticleers? Both were 9-2. Both played weak schedules (CCU's was better) and CCU won head-to-head.

Please! :eek:

Catmendue2
November 20th, 2005, 02:37 AM
Can't shed too many tears for SCSU. They had their chances.

When you chose the playoffs you usually get your wish and sitting home on Thanksgiving Saturday is one of them. :D

Mr. C
November 20th, 2005, 02:43 AM
Please! :eek:
Please, what? South Carolina needed tons of help to get in to begin with. And it didn't help matters when Coastal Carolina lost.

Mr. C
November 20th, 2005, 02:46 AM
When you chose the playoffs you usually get your wish and sitting home on Thanksgiving Saturday is one of them. :D
Are you trying to say that South Carolina State should play in some sort of conference championship game? Please. I'll take a shot at the national championship over the SWAC championship game any day.

Catmendue2
November 20th, 2005, 02:48 AM
Are you trying to say that South Carolina State should play in some sort of conference championship game? Please. I'll take a shot at the national championship over the SWAC championship game any day.

No, I am saying the playoffs are for the A-10 and its guest. :D

Mr. C
November 20th, 2005, 02:52 AM
A-10? You throw out the last two years and the playoffs have been the domain of the SoCon. Even the past two years, the national champs have had to beat a SoCon team to get there.

By the way, remember FAMU of the MEAC won the very first I-AA crown.

bosshogg
November 20th, 2005, 07:51 AM
No, I am saying the playoffs are for the A-10 and its guest. :D
:bang:

OL FU
November 20th, 2005, 09:39 AM
SC ST has since the mid-80's been one of the teams I I followed and wanted to see win. Part of it is state pride and most of it goes to old friendships established when FU and SC ST played more regularly. But the unfortunate truth is that SC ST either has to win the MEAC or schedule and beat a tougher OOC schedule. From everything I have read, Pough wants to win a NC. So I hope the OOC schedule starts changing.

MarkCCU
November 20th, 2005, 11:17 AM
CCU's lost really didn't help SCSU. If for somereason they go the playoffs, that'd be a kick in the teeth to the Chants.

JohnStOnge
November 20th, 2005, 11:37 AM
I think Coastal Carolina losing helps their chances. Interesting to think about, though. No doubt South Carolina State has a better shot at being selected than Coastal now...yet you've got a situation involving two teams with the same record at 9-2 with one having beaten the other in their head to head matchup. If I'm interpreting the schedules correctly each has 8 Division I wins.