PDA

View Full Version : Brown leaving UMass

Umass74
January 9th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Coach Brown is leaving UMass to be defensive coordinator at Maryland (http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010909aaa.html).

Lehigh Football Nation
January 9th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Ouch!

andy7171
January 9th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Ouch!

Exactly what I though. I'm guessing the successor comes from within this deep into recruiting?

Marcus Garvey
January 9th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Wait a second.... Did Northeastern say Maryland could talk to him?

xlolx

Tribe4SF
January 9th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Exactly what I though. I'm guessing the successor comes from within this deep into recruiting?

Tough spot for the program. If they don't make a quick decision, this could really hurt.

Libertine
January 9th, 2009, 11:41 AM

xlolx

xlolx

smallcollegefbfan
January 9th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Congrats to Don Brown! I'm sure he will do well.

KAUMASS
January 9th, 2009, 12:15 PM
It is to be expected, as every 5-6 years we change HC's @ UMass. Hope we get a HC quickly during recruiting. What school is next for their HC to resign or be fired?

bluehenbillk
January 9th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Guess he looked at this year's outlook & jumped ship.

ur2k
January 9th, 2009, 12:19 PM
what's the consensus from the UMASS faithful on this?

blukeys
January 9th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Brown is a good fit. He is a great defensive coach and he will be getting bigger bucks. I don't see how we could not make this move. I think he could get some attention here and maybe get another HC position.

You can't knock an ambitious guy who gets an opportunity to move up.

Syntax Error
January 9th, 2009, 12:30 PM
he will be getting bigger bucks...what are the $$$ you know of?

Lehigh Football Nation
January 9th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Guess he looked at this year's outlook & jumped ship.

Wow! I mean, did he ever do THAT before? :D xlolx

EmeryZach
January 9th, 2009, 12:40 PM
WOW! This one was straight out of left field. Didn't see this coming at all. Oh man, this is going to hurt our recruiting.

blukeys
January 9th, 2009, 12:43 PM
what are the $$$ you know of?

I know the general range @ MD and it is higher than a most HC's at the FCS level.

Of course this is also a great way to get into the FBS HC level where the $$$'s are huge.

Syntax Error
January 9th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I know the general range @ MDWhat is the range?

dennisdent
January 9th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Sad to see him go of course; but this is a much better move than the Yale job.

The Fridge doesn't look too healthy these days (not that he's ever looked healthy) and this might be his chance for a BCS head coaching job.

This is really funny for me because I work with two of the biggest supporters (and donors) of the Maryland program. One of them actually went to the Boise bowl game...

LFN is really eating this up.xrolleyesx

ngineer
January 9th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Wonder if Gilmore from nearby Holy Cross will slip right in....His name was frequently mentioned, and I believe he did interview for the Yale job, so it appears he may be getting fur under his feet....Wouldn't surprise me.

Husky Alum
January 9th, 2009, 01:06 PM

xlolx

We granted Brown permission. Anything to get him out of the CAA.

Maybe we'll beat ZooMass now.

If Benedict Brown is true to form, he told all of his players and recruits the night before he wsa staying and wasn't going anywhere.

unhfan1
January 9th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Breaks my heart. I'm sure Coach Mac at UNH will miss him. NOT!

saint0917
January 9th, 2009, 01:21 PM
what's the consensus from the UMASS faithful on this?

It's a move up so I'm happy for him, but sad to see him go. It's better than the Yale job.

UMass922
January 9th, 2009, 01:34 PM
It's a move up so I'm happy for him, but sad to see him go. It's better than the Yale job.

Same sentiments here. He kept the program at a NC-contending level after Whipple left, so you have to be happy with the job he did here overall. And taking the DC position at Maryland is definitely a good career move for him, so all you can do is wish him luck.

UNHWILDCATS05
January 9th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Breaks my heart. I'm sure Coach Mac at UNH will miss him. NOT!

Lets calm down... word is that Coach Mac has been spotted on the sidelines of Oregon. When Coach Kelly gets the HC job... don't know if he will be looking this way for some assistance... xconfusedx

Eight Legger
January 9th, 2009, 01:50 PM

Wait a minute....Yale is the BEST job in ALL of college football! They have 833 wins!:D

danefan
January 9th, 2009, 01:55 PM
After seeing Terry Bowden take a DII job, a big-name coach could end up with the UMass HC. Any ideas of who is out there looking?

Old Cage
January 9th, 2009, 01:57 PM
This shouldn't be a big surprise to anyone.

1. He obviously was talking with Yale recently.
2. Our "study group" about moving up is going nowhere.
3. The CAA is becoming a mess with too many teams.

It's too bad that it happened right when we have recruits on campus.

http://www.gazettenet.com/blog/umass-sports

Northeastern guys - Is Rocky Hager available? :D

Lehigh Football Nation
January 9th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Wonder if Gilmore from nearby Holy Cross will slip right in....His name was frequently mentioned, and I believe he did interview for the Yale job, so it appears he may be getting fur under his feet....Wouldn't surprise me.

I agree - I could see Gilmore apply for this position.

elon77
January 9th, 2009, 02:12 PM
After seeing Terry Bowden take a DII job, a big-name coach could end up with the UMass HC. Any ideas of who is out there looking?

Has the last UTC coach found a job yet?:) How about Pete Adrian from Norfolk State, he has done a pretty good job rebuilding their program. Bobby Wilder is undefeated at ODU, would he like to go back up north?

Cobblestone
January 9th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Coach Brown is leaving UMass to be defensive coordinator at Maryland (http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010909aaa.html).

xeekx

The price that must be paid for success at the FCS level. xnonono2x

GannonFan
January 9th, 2009, 03:40 PM
3. The CAA is becoming a mess with too many teams.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Come on, who paid you to make that statement??? Don Brown left UMass because the CAA's too big. Great stuff!!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
January 9th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I have to admit, I just went into an uncontrollable fit of laughter after reading GF's response. xlolx xlolx xlolx

mainejeff
January 9th, 2009, 04:12 PM
After Maine finally beat them in Amherst......I think that was the icing on the cake. ;)

If ever there was a recruiting year for UNH and Maine to take advantage......this is the one! :)

89Hen
January 9th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Too bad Clawson got the BG job. xpeacex

CollegeSportsInfo
January 9th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Clawson just realized while at Richmond that there's more mobility to get a HC job in FBS and coordinator positions in the NFL if you're an FBS assistant. FCS Head coaches don't have as many options. There aren't that many Tressel Stories out there. So I doubt Clawson to FBS will happen any time soon.

That said, fired coaches are another story. While regionally it makes no sense, I've love to see a guy like Joe Glenn coaching, but I think we'll see him as a HC in the Big Sky fairly soon.

Marcus Garvey
January 9th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Wait a minute....Yale is the BEST job in ALL of college football! They have 833 wins!:D

But they don't have an international airport.

Yale could use an international airport.

Marcus Garvey
January 9th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Clawson just realized while at Richmond that there's more mobility to get a HC job in FBS and coordinator positions in the NFL if you're an FBS assistant. FCS Head coaches don't have as many options. There aren't that many Tressel Stories out there. So I doubt Clawson to FBS will happen any time soon.

Very true. For every Jim Tressel, there are about 5 Mark Duffners or Buddy Teevenses. The disparaties between a typical I-A program and a typical I-AA program keep getting bigger. It's an "arms race" in I-A, particularly in the BCS leagues. A.D.'s and boosters are more comfortable bringing in a coach, even one without head coaching experience, who has worked and recruited in that environment than take a chance on a succssful I-AA head coach.

Minuteman87
January 9th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I am surprised, but I shouldn't be. When he was mentioned for the Yale job, it was obvious he was looking for other opportunities. He did wonders for UMass (best 5 years in the history of the program) and I can't get upset at a guy for wanting to better himself. In fact, I'd prefer a guy who sees the job as a stepping stone to something bigger. He'll be more driven. The timing stinks a bit in the middle of recruiting season. That being said, I think UMass is the kind of program that should attract plenty of quality candidates. My worry is that with the university getting its budget slashed, there won't be enough money to get the best guy out there. It should be interesting. There is already some pie-in-the-sky talk of bringing Whipple back because his son is a backup QB for UMass, but I don't see that happening. Jeff Jagodzinski's available ;).

Old Cage
January 9th, 2009, 07:02 PM
No disrespect meant, but it is no fun for the real fans and a loss of revenue for the school when no one comes to games against teams from "far away" that most folks don't know who they are or where they are from.

"Towson is in our league? Really?"

Trust me that they know who all the teams are in Hockey East.

R3TRO
January 9th, 2009, 09:17 PM
As much as I hate UMass (out of respect, because I always enjoy the games we play) I almost feel bad. You have a really talented bunch of guys in your program and I hope a solid HC is found soon.

Husky Alum
January 9th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Northeastern guys - Is Rocky Hager available? :D

On behalf of everyone associated with Northeastern, you can take Rocky Hager. I'll even drive him to Amherst to interview.

We'll even throw in Eddie Davis for good luck.

All you have to do is send us - NOTHING.

Think of it as repayment for that lawsuit a while back.

Husky Alum
January 9th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Trust me that they know who all the teams are in Hockey East.

Merrimack, come on? They only know the Mack because you play them at home every year at least once.

I'm sure they know Towson, but you only play them at home one in four years.

Do they show up for Duquesne or St. Bonnie's for hoops? You don't play them at home every year. Do they know where either school are or who they are?

Old Cage
January 10th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Sorry about hijacking the thread away from Don Brown's departure, but let me try again to make my point. Rivalries are built up over the years by playing solid opponents that the fan base can build animosity towards. At UMass those rivalries are fostered more by hockey and hoops than by football. Some of that has happened because many in our area like those sports better, some has happened because of the geography of the A-10/CAA.

Our rivals, in no particular order are: Maine, New Hampshire, Boston University, Boston College, Northeastern, Rhode Island, UConn, Syracuse, Temple, St. Joseph's and Xavier.

This is not a knock against the excellent programs at JMU or Delaware or anywhere else, but one appearance at UMass in one sport every 2-3-4 years does not build fan interest.

When we have a home football schedule where we play five or six games and no more than one or two are against our rivals, attendance (and interest from the Western Mass population) suffers. It is my belief that the continued Southern expansion of the CAA is not in our best interest.

YaleFootballFan
January 10th, 2009, 08:17 AM

Actually its 853. xrolleyesx

EmeryZach
January 10th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Hey Marcel Shipp is looking for a job.

umassfan
January 10th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Hey Marcel Shipp is looking for a job.

Speaking of Ex players.... Neal Brown (ex wr) is O Coord at Troy St and may get a look at the job. He is only 28 years old.

His Troy St team was 8-5 this year with losses to OK St, Ohio St, LSU(by 9), Lousiana Monroe(by 1), and Southern Miss(by 3 in a bowl game)

Old Cage
January 10th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Here is a list of suspects from the guy who does the best job of covering us:

http://www.gazettenet.com/print/218202

Umass74
January 10th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I have that list plus links to everybody in that article over on my UMass Football Blog (http://umass74.blogspot.com/).

BDKJMU
January 10th, 2009, 12:58 PM

That said, fired coaches are another story. While regionally it makes no sense, I've love to see a guy like Joe Glenn coaching, but I think we'll see him as a HC in the Big Sky fairly soon.

"So I doubt Clawson to FBS will happen any time soon". xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx Clawson is now an HC in FBS.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 10th, 2009, 02:47 PM
No shortage of quality options listed in that article!!!

OMG, I didn't realize that Jack Cosgrove was a candidate for the Towson job! WTF is up with that? xeekx You'd think that after he got Maine back into the playoffs, he'd be content at his alma mater. xconfusedx xconfusedx Is the money that much better in Towson and Amherst? Or is there something else going on? xconfusedx

Interesting to see two guys with UNH ties on the list:

Phil Estes, the head coach at Brown who played at UNH. And IIRC he went to HS in NH. Matt Griffin, the head coach at Murray State also played at UNH. His home town is just up the road from Amherst in Turner's Falls.

And yes Tom Gilmore was mentioned as well as Fordham's Tom Masella (worked under Whipple at UMass).

History has shown that this will probably be no more than a bump in the road. UMass will remain a consistent power in FCS.

VT Wildcat Fan53
January 10th, 2009, 02:53 PM

Congratulations to Coach Brown! He will be very successful with the Terps. UNH will NOT miss his pressure defenses! :D

mainejeff
January 10th, 2009, 03:07 PM
OMG, I didn't realize that Jack Cosgrove was a candidate for the Towson job! WTF is up with that? xeekx You'd think that after he got Maine back into the playoffs, he'd be content at his alma mater. xconfusedx xconfusedx Is the money that much better in Towson and Amherst? Or is there something else going on? xconfusedx

Dave(Jack;) ) Cosgrove has been a candidate at Northeastern, URI, Towson, and now UMass........*yawn*

At least if he is offered this job, it is a step up. I hope that he gets it......UMass will always be beatable with him at the helm! :)

xcoffeex

yorkcountyUNHfan
January 10th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Dave(Jack;) ) Cosgrove has been a candidate at Northeastern, URI, Towson, and now UMass........*yawn*

At least if he is offered this job, it is a step up. I hope that he gets it......UMass will always be beatable with him at the helm! :)

xcoffeex

Jeff, I know you've never been a big Coach Cosgrove fan. Many times I've thought you've been a little over the top on that subject. But, if I saw Coach Mac's name in the mix every time a job opened I'd be pissed too.

mainejeff
January 10th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Jeff, I know you've never been a big Coach Cosgrove fan. Many times I've thought you've been a little over the top on that subject. But, if I saw Coach Mac's name in the mix every time a job opened I'd be pissed too.

Cosgrove throwing his name in the ring for every job opening in New England is more over the top than I could ever be........xpeacex

Seriously.......I hope that he gets the UMass job. UMass becomes beatable on an annual basis.......and Maine gets a new head coach. I'm sure that Maine can find someone to coach under-.500........and pay a lot less than Cosgrove makes. xthumbsupx

EmeryZach
January 10th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I just want someone who can bring a little more discipline to the team. Too many penalties while Brown was the HC.

santosballnewhampshire
January 10th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Will Sean McDonnell get offered?

mainejeff
January 10th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I just want someone who can bring a little more discipline to the team. Too many penalties while Brown was the HC.

Then Cosgrove is your man!

xprayx xprayx xprayx

GannonFan
January 10th, 2009, 08:45 PM

Then Cosgrove is your man!

xprayx xprayx xprayx

Just....too.....funny!!!!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

yorkcountyUNHfan
January 11th, 2009, 11:36 AM

Maroon's not a good color for himxrotatehx

CollegeSportsInfo
January 11th, 2009, 11:56 AM
"So I doubt Clawson to FBS will happen any time soon". xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx Clawson is now an HC in FBS.

Thank you for the clarification about the mistype of FBS when I obviously meant FCS if one had read the context of the post.

mainejeff
January 11th, 2009, 01:33 PM

NO!!!!!! You need your coach more than we need ours! xmadx

KAUMASS
January 11th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I would take Coach Mac in a second. :) If his hat is in the ring, he would be my frontrunner...
Cosgrove interviews too much. He would pull the same ****. No thanks..

R3TRO
January 11th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Will you guys leave Coach Mac out of this? We have enough to worry about with Oregon, we don't need to start thinking about him going to UMass.

KAUMASS
January 11th, 2009, 07:41 PM
What's Coach Mac's salary at UNH? You can't expect him to stay there forever. I don't expect the next UMass coach to stay more than 5 years, whoever it is..

Fordham
January 11th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Where do you UMASS guys think Masella is on your short list?

Jackman
January 11th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I think once we get past the longshot dream hires who probably wouldn't consider the job, Masella would be somewhere in the top 5.

UNHFan99
January 12th, 2009, 03:32 PM
If coach mac was in it for money he would have left here a long time ago. I dont think he would leave for oregon either. Im not saying he will stay forever but it would have to be a head coach job somewhere decent. just my opinion.

dennisdent
January 13th, 2009, 05:02 PM
http://www.masslive.com/sports/index.ssf/2009/01/search_for_umass_football_coac.html

Albert would be a gutsy choice. He has a great resume and it would be cool to have the Football, Basketball, Lacrosse and Baseball coaches all alums.

On the other hand, I would like an experienced winner like Masella or Gilmore running the program.

Kevin Morris--NO!

Minuteman87
January 15th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Where do you UMASS guys think Masella is on your short list?

I think that is informed speculation, but it makes sense. Most media articles about the search have mentioned his name. He's a former UMass assistant who was apparently under consideration before the school hired Brown, with a track record of success.

Please, not Kevin Morris. If he's the head coach this is our offense next season: Tony Nelson up the middle for 1 yard on first down; Nelson up the middle for no gain on second down; whoever is our QB pass on third and long, right in the hands of a receiver who drops it. Punt on 4th down. I saw enough of that last season thanks very much.

Maroon&White
January 15th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Please, not Kevin Morris. If he's the head coach this is our offense next season: Tony Nelson up the middle for 1 yard on first down; Nelson up the middle for no gain on second down; whoever is our QB pass on third and long, right in the hands of a receiver who drops it. Punt on 4th down. I saw enough of that last season thanks very much.

Nelson ran for over 1,300yds and 5.5yds a carry last season. Also return almost 2,000yds receiving in two players. Not exactly what you describe.

Minuteman87
January 15th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I'm not "describing" Nelson. I love the guy, he's the best back in the conference. I'm "describing" Morris' play calling last season which I found very predictable and unimaginative at times. I was exagerating and using humor to make a point. But I guess that sort of nuance gets lost on the internet. Maybe I should use some smileys next time. :) xrotatehx xconfusedx xsmiley_wix xreadx xwhistlex xbowx xxmasx xprost2x xasswhipx xpopcornx xazzx

I like your avatar though.

Maroon&White
January 15th, 2009, 09:38 PM
You should, you copied me.

Minuteman87
January 16th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Boston Herald reports Masella, Morris and a mystery candidate are the three finalists...

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/college/football/view/2009_01_16_Three_in_hunt_for_UMass_job/srvc=sports&position=also

UMassGal
January 16th, 2009, 09:24 AM
I really don't understand why you guys hate Morris so much. The only bright spot this year was the offense. We had no defense. Give a guy credit when it's due. I'm familiar with his work at WPI, and he was well-respected by his players. His record there shows he is capable of doing the job. Don't judge him so harshly based on a couple of mistakes. Everyone makes them.xrolleyesx

umassfan
January 16th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I really don't understand why you guys hate Morris so much. The only bright spot this year was the offense. We had no defense. Give a guy credit when it's due. I'm familiar with his work at WPI, and he was well-respected by his players. His record there shows he is capable of doing the job. Don't judge him so harshly based on a couple of mistakes. Everyone makes them.xrolleyesx

Are you crazy... every game the guy has a couple of bad mistakes... hell every time the offense is on the field he has a couple of bad mistakes. He does not know how to call a game. UMass would have another 3-4 wins over the last 3 years alone if it werent for his playcalling. He only stayed around because he was Browns buddy. I have known some of the UMass players over the years.... and they may respect Morris as a person but his playcalling they do not.

umassfan
January 16th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Boston Herald reports Masella, Morris and a mystery candidate are the three finalists...

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/college/football/view/2009_01_16_Three_in_hunt_for_UMass_job/srvc=sports&position=also

Its pretty bad when Im hoping for this mystery candidate when I dont even know who it is...

UMassGal
January 16th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Are you crazy... every game the guy has a couple of bad mistakes... hell every time the offense is on the field he has a couple of bad mistakes. He does not know how to call a game. UMass would have another 3-4 wins over the last 3 years alone if it werent for his playcalling. He only stayed around because he was Browns buddy. I have known some of the UMass players over the years.... and they may respect Morris as a person but his playcalling they do not.

I'm sorry, but if he were as bad as you claim, they would not have had the success they did. Brown concentrated on defense and left the offense to Morris. Morris had to have done something right for them to get to the Championships. A team with a bad OC never would make playoffs...

All I'm saying is try to look at what he did do for the team. We had some great offensive players who do respect him and his playcalling.

Maroon&White
January 16th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Do you think if a reporter asks the players about the OC they are going to say they don't like him or his play-calling? Of course not. They are going to support him. Doesn't mean that's what they really think.

Old Cage
January 16th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I'm familiar with his work at WPI .xrolleyesx

Mrs. Morris, is that you?

umassfan
January 17th, 2009, 12:35 AM
I'm sorry, but if he were as bad as you claim, they would not have had the success they did. Brown concentrated on defense and left the offense to Morris. Morris had to have done something right for them to get to the Championships. A team with a bad OC never would make playoffs...

All I'm saying is try to look at what he did do for the team. We had some great offensive players who do respect him and his playcalling.

We had alot of great O players that were brought in by Whipple before he left. The fact that they played well wasnt because of him alone. Up till last year, UMass won alot of its games because of its D. UMass could have won alot more games with a better O Coord. Morris did not run the O alone... He had help from the Oline coach. We made it to the NC game because of our D and some talent on Offense. If Coen played under Whipples offense he would have passed for over 15,000 yards. Morris hindered Coens career more then helping him. To end I have one last comment.... HALFBACK PASS!

UMassGal
January 17th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Mrs. Morris, is that you?

xlolx Thank goodness no. I wouldn't want to be her right now. It's got to be tough waiting to see what happens. And it's got to be especially tough to read these threads.

Minuteman87
January 17th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Boston Globe says Jack Bicknell Jr. in the mix. For those who don't know, he's a current Boston Coll. assistant and former coach at La Tech. His dad was BC's HC in the Flutie days.

GoWildcats789
January 19th, 2009, 09:43 AM
UMass will announce their new head football coach today at 2p.m.

McUMass
January 19th, 2009, 10:11 AM
It's Morris, damn:

http://www.gazettenet.com/node/219628

umassfan
January 19th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Well this has to be the worst hire in UMass sports history. I guess going home for 2 games a year will soon change. I do not like the guy as a coach and will follow the team less until something different happens. Sad day in UMass football

EmeryZach
January 19th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Well this has to be the worst hire in UMass sports history. I guess going home for 2 games a year will soon change. I do not like the guy as a coach and will follow the team less until something different happens. Sad day in UMass football

I think we need to at least give him chance. How do you know that he will not turn out to be a great coach?

We will see what happens. You can't just write him off before he has a shot to prove himself.

McUMass
January 19th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Hopefully he learned something since his gig at WPI when he had that program in a state of stagnant mediocrity

Minuteman87
January 19th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Oh well, would not have been my choice. But I will support him and wish him the best. Look on the bright side, maybe he will hand over the offensive playcalling duties to someone else!

McUMass
January 19th, 2009, 02:21 PM
He'll either hand it off, or go for a halfback pass.