PDA

View Full Version : [SC State] Bulldogs throttle N.C. A&T, await I-AA bid

R.A.
November 20th, 2005, 12:24 AM
Bulldogs throttle N.C. A&T, await I-AA bid
By THOMAS GRANT JR., T&D Senior Sports Writer

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — It was the kind of “dogfight” South Carolina State head football coach Oliver “Buddy” Pough was looking to avoid but expected to see put forth Saturday by North Carolina A&T at Memorial Stadium.

For the second straight year, the Aggies more than played up to their role as “spoiler” in the annual “Rivalry Classic” to the 16th-ranked Bulldogs. Instead of a share of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference regular-season title, the Aggies looked to crush any lingering hopes for SCSU receiving an at-large bid to the Division I-AA playoffs.

Through three quarters and six lead changes, North Carolina A&T was well on its way to accomplishing that goal. Getting a school-record 14 catches for 151 yards from wide receiver Brandon Trusty and 197 rushing yards from Brandon Sweeney, the Aggies held a 23-20 lead and their severely outnumbered fans among the 14,375 fans in attendance were savoring a sweet victory to end a disappointing season.

Read the complete story at http://www.thetandd.com/articles/2005/11/19/sports/doc43800e4301833047996495.txt