PDA

View Full Version : Tim Walsh Reported to be Cal Poly Choice

coover
January 8th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Tim Walsh, Offensive Coordinator at Army for the last two years, will reportedly (San Luis Obispo Tribune) be the new Head Coach at Cal Poly, replacing Rich Ellerson, who has left Poly to become the Head Coach at, ironically, Army.

Walsh previously was the Head Coach at Portland State University for many years and Sonoma State (D-II, no longer fielding a football team) before that.

Sorry about the heading where I replaced the name "Tim' with the name "Larry". I was thinking of a previous Mustang Head Coach "Larry Welch", who had a great first year and then flopped.

With Walsh's record, I don't think that will happen this time.

Green26
January 8th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Walsh is okay, but CP will not be what it has been lately.

Casey_Orourke
January 9th, 2009, 12:42 AM
If Walsh stays true to form CalPoly will become an uninspired run up the middle smashmouth offense with just enough passing to keep the defense loose.

slostang
January 9th, 2009, 12:50 AM
If Walsh stays true to form CalPoly will become an uninspired run up the middle smashmouth offense with just enough passing to keep the defense loose.

I would imagine that he will bring in a OC that can take advantage of Cal Poly's roster that is made up of players who are smaller and very athletic. I would think if he does not stick with the triple option that he may switch to the spread option.

The press conference to announce the hiring will be video streamed live at 10:00 am (PST) tomorrow.

Here is a link for the press conference: http://gopoly.com/index.php?p=sports&tab=news&id=29891&article_id=63411

We should have some more answers tomorrow.

Casey_Orourke
January 9th, 2009, 01:00 AM
I would imagine that he will bring in a OC that can take advantage of Cal Poly's roster that is made up of players who are smaller and very athletic. I would think if he does not stick with the triple option that he may switch to the spread option.

For now, but watch his recruiting classes, I'll bet you it will be big running backs like the ones he brought into Portland State (i.e. Bobby Mclintock, Charles Dunn and Derrick Holmes) and the offensive scheme will begin to change.

MplsBison
January 9th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Portland State, before Glanville came in with his chuck n' duck, actually had a very nice running game.

This could be a step in the right direct for Poly!

Ronbo
January 9th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Walsh was always a thorn in Montana's side. He had some very good Big Sky teams. PSU was alot more competitive when he was there. He is a great recruiter and always had good talent.

slostang
January 9th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Sure would be fun to see Portland State on some of Cal Poly's future schedules.

Proud Griz Man
January 9th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Sure would be fun to see Portland State on some of Cal Poly's future schedules.

Could happen, but lately it has appeared that they are seeking the one-game FBS pay-days.

Any guesses about current CP assistant coaches staying, or going? Walsh would be smart to try keeping some assistants to help in the transition.

slostang
January 9th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Could happen, but lately it has appeared that they are seeking the one-game FBS pay-days.

Any guesses about current CP assistant coaches staying, or going? Walsh would be smart to try keeping some assistants to help in the transition.

I think there are only two that are not going to Army with him. LB coach Mel Kaufman and defensive back coach Johnny Burnett. I would guess least one will stay on. Definately will help with recruiting.

Casey_Orourke
January 10th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Walsh was always a thorn in Montana's side. He had some very good Big Sky teams. PSU was alot more competitive when he was there. He is a great recruiter and always had good talent.

Didn't Montana sign a multigame deal with CalPoly? Montana coule be in for more of the same.

poly51
January 10th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Didn't Montana sign a multigame deal with CalPoly? Montana coule be in for more of the same.

Cal Poly plays in Montana in 2009, 2010 and 2011 and in San Luis Obispo in 2012.