PDA

View Full Version : Could Freddie Brown WR from USC be coming to Wofford

WOCO
January 8th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Freddie has said that he is transferring. He is from Spartanburg. Has father played at and coached at Wofford and now his father is the head coach at Spartanburg High, which plays it's home games at Wofford's Stadium. Would be a great replacement for Andy Strickland. Interesting!!! SCState might be a better fit but you never know.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20090107/NEWS/901080297/1088/sports?Title=Wide_out_Freddie_Brown_to_transfer_fr om_South_Carolina

smallcollegefbfan
January 8th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Freddie has said that he is transferring. He is from Spartanburg. Has father played at and coached at Wofford and now his father is the head coach at Spartanburg High, which plays it's home games at Wofford's Stadium. Would be a great replacement for Andy Strickland. Interesting!!! SCState might be a better fit but you never know.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20090107/NEWS/901080297/1088/sports?Title=Wide_out_Freddie_Brown_to_transfer_fr om_South_Carolina

At first I thought you were talking about Southern Cal. I was about to say how would a USC player know about Wofford unless he was from here. That would be a good pickup for Wofford.

WVAPPmountaineer
January 8th, 2009, 11:08 AM
No offense intended - But why would a talented WR want to go to a system where it is run first and often? - I was impressed with Strickland, just felt he could have prospered at a more pass-friendly offense ---

WOCO
January 8th, 2009, 11:15 AM
No offense intended - But why would a talented WR want to go to a system where it is run first and often? - I was impressed with Strickland, just felt he could have prospered at a more pass-friendly offense ---

For the reasons i mentioned above. Legacy. Plus, we usually have one WR that we throw to every time. He could be the man at wofford. As a sidebar, the rumor is that Spurrier told every non starting senior that the need to find somewhere else to play next year. Heard that on the radio this morning.

Ronbo
January 8th, 2009, 11:23 AM
When USC is mentioned 49 states think Southern Cal and one state thinks South Carolina. xlolx xlolx xlolx

WOCO
January 8th, 2009, 11:31 AM
When USC is mentioned 49 states think Southern Cal and one state thinks South Carolina. xlolx xlolx xlolx

My Bad. Is there a way to change the title of a thread?

kirkblitz
January 8th, 2009, 11:42 AM
hes comen to coastal!!!!

bosshogg
January 8th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Hey Freddie....SC State is the best place for you,

signed

Malcolm Long
SC State Quarterback

Eaglesrus
January 8th, 2009, 12:08 PM

For the reasons i mentioned above. Legacy. Plus, we usually have one WR that we throw to every time. He could be the man at wofford. As a sidebar, the rumor is that Spurrier told every non starting senior that the need to find somewhere else to play next year. Heard that on the radio this morning.

My initial reaction was the same as WVAPPmountaineer's, but then I realized that we had a few really good receivers come to GSU during our triple option years, Teddy Craft (rest in peace) being a prime example, so it does happen. With that and the other factors that WOCO cites it would certainly seem to me to be a possibility. Good luck.

introvertedGSUfan
January 8th, 2009, 12:10 PM

Yeah, it's not as if the University of South Carolina was established before Southern Cal and also three letter university abbreviation letters generally refer to the state's main school (SC being the postal code for South Carolina and all).

smallcollegefbfan
January 8th, 2009, 12:22 PM

That is no surprise. The Gamecocks have offered more players than they have scholarships for so I don't doubt that he is trying to get rid of senior backups to make more scholarships for incoming freshmen.

WOCO
January 8th, 2009, 12:36 PM
That is no surprise. The Gamecocks have offered more players than they have scholarships for so I don't doubt that he is trying to get rid of senior backups to make more scholarships for incoming freshmen.

That's pretty dirty if it's true. To spend 3 years at a program and be a semester or 2 away from graduation and find out the the ole ball coach isn't paying for school isn't right. These are amateur kids that you make promises to. Not Pros that this is a business for. The coach makes millions and the players get scholarships. Its one thing if he said you aren't going to get any PT but we will honor our commitment to you. At least then, you give the kids an option. It's another if he said thanks for working and practicing for 3 years but I have decided that I don't need you anymore and will no longer pay for your education. A line has been crossed.

bosshogg
January 8th, 2009, 01:30 PM
its true....it appears that spurrier is trying to free scholarships for all the kids he is signing...

Brown Transferring From USC

Phil Kornblut

Published: Wednesday, January 7, 2009 at 5:55 p.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, January 7, 2009 at 6:05 p.m.
USC rising senior wide receiver Freddie Brown Jr., who is transferring to another program, has not yet decided where he will enrol lhis father said Wednesday. Brown was honored with the graduating seniors prior to the Gamecocks' last home game. And Freddie Brown Sr., the head coach at Spartanburg High School, said it was his understanding that the non-starting rising seniors on the team are being encouraged to look for new programs. Freddie Brown Jr. played in seven games this season and had seven receptions for 66 yards and one touchdown.

FCSbacker
January 8th, 2009, 05:24 PM
He is transferring because he is THE slowest WR in the SEC. I know for a fact that he ran a 4.9 and a 5.0 forty yard dash the last two springs during timing day. he has decent hands but cant run away from anyone. These are facts that are coming straight from the program. take care

GATA
January 8th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I believe Keyshawn Johnson once said that only people who aren't from California call Southern California "USC"...he said that people just call is "SC" in Cali. I have no idea if that's true or not...I've never stepped foot in California..

I've found that outside of the Carolinas and Georgia nobody refers to South Carolina as USC.

CID1990
January 8th, 2009, 08:31 PM
You have to be able to deliver the football to him by way of the forward pass with a tight spiral in order for him to be pertinent.

Reign of Terrier
January 8th, 2009, 09:17 PM
If we pick him up we'll probably move him to TE. We need an athletic guy to step in for Fenn Allen.

catamount man
January 8th, 2009, 09:30 PM
He is transferring because he is THE slowest WR in the SEC. I know for a fact that he ran a 4.9 and a 5.0 forty yard dash the last two springs during timing day. he has decent hands but cant run away from anyone. These are facts that are coming straight from the program. take care

Thank you!!!! SOS is doing all he can to right the ship in Columbia and Freddie...well, good luck.

Longrifle
January 9th, 2009, 09:31 AM

I can't believe that any student from USC could even qualify to get into Wofford College.

ChickenMan
January 9th, 2009, 10:58 AM

So true.. I sure thought it was Southern Cal.. :p

YoUDeeMan
January 9th, 2009, 11:13 AM
As a sidebar, the rumor is that Spurrier told every non starting senior that the need to find somewhere else to play next year. Heard that on the radio this morning.

Isn't that a problem? xeyebrowx

I'm taking a short break from a project so I can't research, but I thought players, unless they have graduated, had to have at least two years of eligibility left to transfer down to FCS? Anyone able to help clarify that rule?

And those seniors couldn't realistically transfer to another FBS team...they'd have to wait a year - yet they are already seniors.

SU DOG
January 10th, 2009, 11:49 AM

I'm taking a short break from a project so I can't research, but I thought players, unless they have graduated, had to have at least two years of eligibility left to transfer down to FCS? Anyone able to help clarify that rule?

And those seniors couldn't realistically transfer to another FBS team...they'd have to wait a year - yet they are already seniors.

BINGO - I was just about to post that same information. I believe that Cluck U is right.

CSUBUCDAD
January 10th, 2009, 12:37 PM

They give up a year of eligability if they go FBS to FBS but they do not if they go FBS to FCS. Tribble transfered from Clemsux to Chuck South last year for his last year of eligability.

Death Dealer
January 10th, 2009, 01:39 PM

Actually, I thought So Cal at first glance too. xlolx xoopsx

Casey_Orourke
January 10th, 2009, 03:01 PM

The same thing for your school and mine....when they hear UM they think of University of Michigan, not Montana and whe they hear PSU they think of Penn State, not Portland....

but congrats to Wofford on a great pickup... based on the coaches remarks sounds like there will be more seniors making the move to other programs.

proasu89
January 10th, 2009, 03:11 PM

xnodx Exactly like when Carolina is mentioned. 49 states think UNC and one state thinks South Carolinaxsmiley_wix

Woof
January 12th, 2009, 01:50 PM
xnodx Exactly like when Carolina is mentioned. 49 states think UNC and one state thinks South Carolinaxsmiley_wix

Surely you are limiting your drivel to only the sport of basketball....

I am sure the rest of the uniformed universe is likewise in error to think of Arizona State Univ. when they hear ASU, right ? xlolx xlolx xlolx

Reign of Terrier
January 12th, 2009, 06:28 PM
The same thing for your school and mine....when they hear UM they think of University of Michigan, not Montana and whe they hear PSU they think of Penn State, not Portland....

but congrats to Wofford on a great pickup... based on the coaches remarks sounds like there will be more seniors making the move to other programs.

I don't think we have him yet...

proasu89
January 12th, 2009, 10:19 PM
[QUOTE=Woof;1280565]Surely you are limiting your drivel to only the sport of basketball....

That would seem to be the only sport in which either "Carolina" instituition has actually won anything. xsmiley_wix