PDA

View Full Version : FBS Transfers!?!?

TXST_CAT
January 7th, 2009, 11:29 PM
What's your view on FBS transfers? In the SLC there are teams that live and DIE by FBS transfers. Sam Houston State is a perfect example. In the recent past TXST benefited from a FBS transfer QB but that was under a coach who was caught breaking rules and quickly ousted by the University. Our new coaches seam to have a different philosophy that I actually agree with. Building the program with quality HS recruits, and the coaches are actually bringing in some of the best recruiting classes I've ever seen. As for the FBS transfers our coaches have said they will not take a recruit that expects to be handed a starting position or kicked off other programs. Bomar was a prime example. Bailiff passed on him when he showed interest in TXST. As for the most recent transfers we have had such as Joe Chaisson recruited by Arkansas with Nathan Dickl. He was recruited by TXST also as a QB from HS. He joined the TXST team in early August but spent the last year as a back up WR. Even caught a few passes against McNeese actually. In all I think our coaches have raised the quality of our program by limiting transfers and avoiding the "big name" FBS transfers. So what are your thoughts on your program and do you feel it works?

BEAR
January 8th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I think it all depends on need. If you mean just FBS transfers, not really. Community College transfers have played a big role in helping our university get started in the FCS, but only because there was a need for it.

But I'm a fan of watching a kid come from high school straight to an FCS program and doing well..like a Nathan Brown or (insert your player's name here.) xthumbsupx That's the way I'd prefer it. But it's hard to deny the impact that a Comm. College player like Larry Hart has had on our defense. Mixed bag and depends on the need I guess. xthumbsupx

CatMom07
January 8th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Then you have a Cam Luke, whom we recruited, but he went to Utah for 1 year before transferring back, or Andrew Ireland who went to Baylor his frosh year. I think our team would have been hurting this year without those 2.

I don't think either was a 'big name' transfer, but they were FBS transfers.

TexasTerror
January 8th, 2009, 06:46 AM
The most improved player in the SLC this year -- Catron Houston of SHSU -- was a transfer, who has gave SHSU a few years after being at Texas Tech for one.

SHSU does lean towards transfers at the QB position, but our offense system has always been rather attractive and we have a history as of late of putting guys in position for NFL consideration (Chaloupka, McCown, Long, Bomar) and invites to Senior Bowl, NFL combine, etc.

FYI -- you guys see that Lon Morris is adding football?

appfan2008
January 8th, 2009, 07:34 AM
ASU has always had 2 or 3 fbs transfers on the team but never the high profile guys... often they are backups or just role players... our program is built 95% by high school recruits... i like it that way and i think it is best...

eaglewithabus
January 8th, 2009, 07:41 AM
ASU has always had 2 or 3 fbs transfers on the team but never the high profile guys... often they are backups or just role players... our program is built 95% by high school recruits... i like it that way and i think it is best...

+1, but sometimes they can sure help out.

appfan2008
January 8th, 2009, 07:43 AM
+1, but sometimes they can sure help out.

no doubt and at some places they have led teams that would not have been nearly as good with out them... ingle martin comes to mind...

CSUBUCDAD
January 8th, 2009, 08:06 AM
TE Freddie Brown of South Carolina will be transfering somewhere for next year. Already sent an email to Coach Kelly(CSU Offensive Coord) urging him to go after this kid. Brown has great hands and should have seen alot of playing time next year at Carolina but word is that Spurrier has notified all rising seniors who did not start or will not start next year to seek other opportunities so you may see several xfers out of there in the near future.

89Hen
January 8th, 2009, 08:08 AM
The NCAA allows transfers. That should pretty much be the end of the discussion. xpeacex

mcveyrl
January 8th, 2009, 08:10 AM
The NCAA allows transfers. That should pretty much be the end of the discussion. xpeacex

Yep. They're no different from other recruits. There's always the risk that they won't pan out, won't fit in and will disrupt team chemistry. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

jaxstatealum
January 8th, 2009, 08:12 AM
no doubt and at some places they have led teams that would not have been nearly as good with out them... ingle martin comes to mind...

True. Perilloux did the same thing for us this year. Sometimes their presence on the team (DEPENDS on their attitude, leadership, etc) can push teams to achieve more than normal.

Downside - if their attitude sucks or they are not embraced then it can be a big detriment...

CatMom07
January 8th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I do think the question was, what do you think of it all? I think it's ok if they 1 - come in with the same expectations as any other recruit and 2 - are going to fit into the system they are coming to.

I don't want to see us take some high profile FBS guy just because he's a high profile FBS guy. I would expect our coaches to have a need for this person before even pursuing him.

A few are ok (Nealy, Varvel, Luke, Ireland, to name) but I don't want a ton and I wouldn't want it to become a big habit. There are plenty of guys out there willing and able to step into an FCS program who, with the skills and good coaching, can get the job done the same and/or sometimes better.

89Hen
January 8th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I think it's ok if they 1 - come in with the same expectations as any other recruit and 2 - are going to fit into the system they are coming to.
3 - Might otherwise transfer to another school in your conference. xeyebrowx

Jackman
January 8th, 2009, 03:23 PM
I am in favor of FBS transfers at UMass. I am against them anywhere else.

BearsCountry
January 8th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I would rather build a program through high school recruits but a FBS transfer everyonce in a while is okay. I just view them as a JUCO type. I am not a big fan of programs who rely on them alot.

GannonFan
January 8th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Yep. They're no different from other recruits. There's always the risk that they won't pan out, won't fit in and will disrupt team chemistry. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

Just like HS recruits, you need to do your homework on them. Transfers got a bad rep when the malcontents and deviants of the FBS world transferred down after getting into trouble in school and with the law. However, they aren't anywhere close to the majority of those who transfer, many of whom transfer for perfectly fine reasons.

Heck, at UD, the transfers are often the best students/character people on the team, which isn't surprising given that the team actually has a say in whether to accept a transfer.

Pitbull
January 9th, 2009, 05:54 AM
FAMU has jumped on a nice set of xfers....I for one think they are ok once in awhile...but I like the App St model...Recruit great student-athletes and develop them...A nice JUCO/FBS xfers is nice to get based on need...

Florida A&M
1. Marques Barnes DB 6-2, 200 Columbia, SC. Soph. (Uni. of South Carolina)(4 stars)
2. Jay Culpepper DS 6-4, 268 Madison, FL. RS-Soph.(Florida State University)
3. Braden Curry OL 6-6, 306 Hollywood, FL. RS-Soph. (Marshall University)
4. Chris Little OL 6-4, 340 Jeffersonville, GA. Soph. (University of Georgia)(4 stars)
5. Jamil Paris DE 6-5, 230 Vero Beach, FL. Jr. (University of Kentucky)

UCABEARS75
January 9th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Just like HS recruits, you need to do your homework on them. Transfers got a bad rep when the malcontents and deviants of the FBS world transferred down after getting into trouble in school and with the law. However, they aren't anywhere close to the majority of those who transfer, many of whom transfer for perfectly fine reasons.

Heck, at UD, the transfers are often the best students/character people on the team, which isn't surprising given that the team actually has a say in whether to accept a transfer.

Well said.

McTailGator
January 19th, 2009, 07:39 PM
McNeese just announced 5 tranfers today on McNeesesports.com. We almost had a 6th player (a WR)from Colorado, but his grades were not good enough to transfer in.

We lost several players on our defense from last year and I must say, that although McNeese typically tries to stay clear of transfers (especially those that have less than 3 years left to offer us), we really needed the help on defense this year so this is welcome news.

When we do take transfers, our coaches prefer it to be kids that they recruited while in HS and later decided they weren't happy after all for whatever reason.

We are loaded at TE so I think the Turnage kid from A&M will end up at DE for us. He played both TE and DE in HS, and A&M's fans are saying that he is athletic enough to play either possition. His older brother (David) was a LB and just graduated from McNeese. I think even the Keys kid will get a look at DB for us too because we are pretty strong at the WR possition as well.

The Sulivan kid is the 3rd kid from Brenham High on our team and the Head Coach at Brenham is high on McNeese's program so we were hoping to get LSU's Jared Lee had Miles released him, but that didn't happen. Our QB will be a 5th year senior that has started since game 5 of his Freshman year for us. We will need a replacement at QB in 2010, but I think Foureaux's little brother Zack and another recruit that I think we will get this year will be good for the future of the program..

Here is the info on the McTranfers that will be out for spring training with us.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Devin Holland – Safety, 6-0, 205, Istrouma High (Baton Rouge, LA)...transfer from Tulane...second on team in 2008 with 61 tackles...also had a pass interception...played in 10 games as a freshman and started one...had 24 tackles and was named to the C-USA all-freshman team...three year letterman at Istrouma High...led team to state playoffs three seasons...first team all-state, all-metro and was co-district MVP...95 tackles (18 TFL, 8 sacks) and two interceptions in senior season...team went 28-10

Shawn Sullivan – Cornerback, 5-9, 195, Brenham High School (Washington, TX)...transfer from Nebraska...played some nickel back for Nebraska last year after going through a redshirt year in 2007...during prep career he played both defensive back and wide receiver and also saw some action as a running back...helped team to a 12-2 record as a senior when he was named to the all-district and all-state teams....also some action at outside linebacker...made four interceptions as a senior and ranked among team’s top tacklers...seven tackles for a loss...also track letterman with best of 10.6 in the 100 meters

Harold Turnage – Tight End, 6-5, 245, Chavez High (Houston, TX)...transfer from Texas A&M...saw some action last year as a tight end for the Aggies after redshirting in 2007...two time all-district tight end at Chavez High... ...27 catches for 325 yards and three tds as a senior...29 catches for 291 yards as a junior...rated one of the nation’s top prep tight ends his senior season...

Charles Young – Linebacker, 6-2, 232, Mamou High (Mamou, LA)...transfer from Texas A&M...redshirted with the Aggies...earned prep all-district, all-parish and all-CENLA honors...named the parish MVP as a senior...led his team to two district titles...ranked among the state’s top 40 prep players as a senior....in senior year was credited with 112 tackles including 11 sacks...had 56 tackles and four sacks as a junior and 50 tackles land five sacks as a sophomore..three time first team all-parish.

Chad Keys – WR, 6-0, 182, St. Paul High (Covington, LA)...transfer from Central Florida...redshirted last year...football and basketball standout at St. Paul High...caught passes for 1,300 yards...also ran back punts and kickoffs...earned all-state and all-metro honors...named to a prep all-America team...played as point guard and shooting guard in basketball...named team defensive player of the year

Casey_Orourke
January 20th, 2009, 12:06 AM
I don't know if this would be considered as a FBS transfer, but evidently, Nick Green, who had committed to Air Force and had left for boot camp has now registered for classes at Portland State. The speculation is that he will redshirt with Kramer Hagen.

Lionsrking
January 20th, 2009, 01:07 AM
I don't know if this would be considered as a FBS transfer, but evidently, Nick Green, who had committed to Air Force and had left for boot camp has now registered for classes at Portland State. The speculation is that he will redshirt with Kramer Hagen.

If he never enrolled or reported to class at Air Force, he would not be considered a transfer...we have a young man (Lyndsey Leavoy) in the same situation...committed to Air Force last year, but came to our place in August instead...played quite a bit as a true freshman.

BEAR
January 20th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Now McNeese is on the Transfer Train! Toot! Toot! xlolx

Brad82
January 20th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Rhody had 3 FBS transfers last year.
Former starting DL from Rutgers-off team by summer camp
Former QB from Iowa-switched to TE-DNP the whole year.
Former WR from Maryland-did very little.
You need the whole mix-HS,JC,Prep school and transfers.

JohnStOnge
January 20th, 2009, 05:18 PM
As I've opined every time this question comes up:

I like the transfer rule. It raises the overall talent level and the level of play in the subdivision. I think each school has to manage the situation and I do think it can be overdone. But I think it's good that FCS has at least one talent acquisition advantage over FBS. And, though there are plenty of busts, there's no question that there are some transfers that turn out to be plenty good enough to have played for BCS league teams.

kirkblitz
January 20th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Tavorris jolly to CCU from UNC

3* corner back, 2 years left

McNeese75
January 20th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Now McNeese is on the Transfer Train! Toot! Toot! xlolx

xrolleyesx That just gave the last league game in November a whole new look xnodx

proasu89
January 21st, 2009, 09:47 AM
Tavorris jolly to CCU from UNC

3* corner back, 2 years left

Not trying to smack, but the 3*'s go bye bye when he transfers down.;)

kirkblitz
January 21st, 2009, 03:04 PM
Not trying to smack, but the 3*'s go bye bye when he transfers down.;)

listen we've had 2 years of **** and probably 6 more till bennett leaves, im trying to stay as hopeful as possible xbawlingx xbawlingx

Cobblestone
January 21st, 2009, 07:06 PM
We just landed four transfers from Rutgers.

http://gorhody.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/012109aaa.html

813Jag
January 21st, 2009, 07:55 PM
as long as they're not Victor Ike I'm fine with transfers.

Casey_Orourke
January 22nd, 2009, 08:51 PM
According to the story, Nick Green played JV ball his freshman year at Air Force before enrolling at Portland State. He has registered as a sophomore, so he has 4 years to play three.

Ex-Ram Nick Green joins QB mix at Portland State (http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=123265448105459200)

GeauxLions94
January 23rd, 2009, 12:22 AM
LSU's Ricky Dixon (WR) is reportedly leaving for Texas Southern (according to his HS coach). Was planning on staying in Baton Rouge, but decided to leave after Brandon Lefell decided not to enter the NFL Draft early.

LSU's Dixon To Texas Southern??? (http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/38124234.html)

sfjackster
January 27th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Couple QBs for SDSU

Mike Whittier - QB -Air Force
Lee Mondol - QB- Michigan (Ventura College)

katstrapper
January 28th, 2009, 05:15 AM
What's your view on FBS transfers? In the SLC there are teams that live and DIE by FBS transfers. Sam Houston State is a perfect example. In the recent past TXST benefited from a FBS transfer QB but that was under a coach who was caught breaking rules and quickly ousted by the University. Our new coaches seam to have a different philosophy that I actually agree with. Building the program with quality HS recruits, and the coaches are actually bringing in some of the best recruiting classes I've ever seen. As for the FBS transfers our coaches have said they will not take a recruit that expects to be handed a starting position or kicked off other programs. Bomar was a prime example. Bailiff passed on him when he showed interest in TXST. As for the most recent transfers we have had such as Joe Chaisson recruited by Arkansas with Nathan Dickl. He was recruited by TXST also as a QB from HS. He joined the TXST team in early August but spent the last year as a back up WR. Even caught a few passes against McNeese actually. In all I think our coaches have raised the quality of our program by limiting transfers and avoiding the "big name" FBS transfers. So what are your thoughts on your program and do you feel it works?

Live and die by FBS transfers? Thats funny. But, this isnt really about just FBS transfers is it? First one you attack is Bomar. You cant sit there and tell me that if Bomar had gone to Tx State the dude would not have been starting or you and every other bobkitty fan wouldnt be tooting his horn. The kid is very talented and what did he do so wrong? He took some money. It goes on every where. Bob Stoops and his regime were fixing to get busted so they ratted out Bomar and the other kid. I promise you that!!

Anyway, Tx State has their share of FBS transfers. These kids were on 2008 rosters....

Cameron Luke.......Utah St
Drenard Williams....Iowa St
Patrick Strodtman..SMU
Trey Hampton.......Tx Tech
Corey Hickerson.....Tx Tech
Andrew Ireland......Baylor
Brandon Madden....UAB
Brian Quackenbush..Arizona State

But, why stop there? Why talk about all transfers. Just because they are FBS transfers does that make them any better than other?

Jeff Bowen.......East Texas Baptist Univ.
Andrew Brooks.. Tx A&M-Kingsville
Jarvis Coleman..Reedly College
Jamaal Williams..Reedly College
Freddie Paige...Mary-Hardin Baylor Univ
Ray Parker.......Chaffey College
Sam Pier..........San Jacinto JC
Michael Schneewis..Fullerton College
Paul Sienkiewich.....McMurray College
Will Thompson........Blinn JC
Clint Toon.............Kilgore JC
Steve Alvarez........Sam Houston Statexlolx

So, there is 20 total transfers from Tx State 2008 roster. So who cares, it is allowed. You think Delaware made a mistake when Joe Flacco transferred there from Michigan?

UCAMonkey
January 28th, 2009, 08:22 AM
So, there is 20 total transfers from Tx State 2008 roster. So who cares, it is allowed. You think Delaware made a mistake when Joe Flacco transferred there from Michigan?

I thought Flacco transferred from Pittsburgh? xconfusedx

McNeese75
January 28th, 2009, 08:39 PM

xrolleyesx BUSTED!!! xlolx

Frosty The Snowbuff
January 28th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Depends on the pressure on coaches.....

The coaches on the hot-seat and need to win immediately are the ones more likely to pursue the college transfer.....Whereas, a coach that's "given time" to develop a program will more likely pursue high school recruits....

It's kinda a double-edge sword.....

Frosty The Snowbuff
January 28th, 2009, 09:05 PM

Wrong QB....

I bet (ok assume) you were thinking of the one JMU had a while back....Rascati I think it was??? No wait....he was Louisville transfer....

Someone help me out here.....The Pitt transfer from a couple year back....I can't remember his name for the life of me for some reason.....xoopsx

Frosty The Snowbuff
January 28th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Live and die by FBS transfers? Thats funny. But, this isnt really about just FBS transfers is it? First one you attack is Bomar. You cant sit there and tell me that if Bomar had gone to Tx State the dude would not have been starting or you and every other bobkitty fan wouldnt be tooting his horn. The kid is very talented and what did he do so wrong? He took some money. It goes on every where. Bob Stoops and his regime were fixing to get busted so they ratted out Bomar and the other kid. I promise you that!!

Anyway, Tx State has their share of FBS transfers. These kids were on 2008 rosters....

Patrick Strodtman..SMU
Brandon Madden....UAB

But, why stop there? Why talk about all transfers. Just because they are FBS transfers does that make them any better than other?

xeekx

From where???? xnonox

katstrapper
February 1st, 2009, 03:09 PM
xoopsx

Patrick Strodtman..SMU
Brandon Madden....UAB

xeekx

From where???? xnonox

My bad!xoopsx I spoke of the wrong school. Yes Pittsburgh