PDA

View Full Version : Matt Simms to Transfer. What FCS School will he go to?

EmeryZach
January 7th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Backup QB Simms to transfer from Louisville

3 hours ago

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — Louisville's football coach says quarterback Matt Simms will transfer from the program.

In a statement from the university, coach Steve Kragthorpe says Simms told him of his desire to transfer and said he wishes Simms the best. The release did not say where Simms would go.

I would bet he ends up transferring to an FCS school so that he can start right away.
He got into some trouble at Louisville with an alcohol arrest.

UMass needs a QB, and I would love to see him on our team.

I watched him play a lot in high school at Don Bosco Prep in New Jersey. He's not as good as Chris or his dad, but he could be a great FCS QB.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i_WXtv78yyRQGts7hXv91n_BpvLgD95IH3G01

hebmskebm
January 7th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Well I think we can rule out Morehead State. xlolx xlolx xlolx

BDKJMU
January 7th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Last Louisville QB to transfer might have been Justin Rascati to JMU. We know how that turned out, 29-7 record as a starter with an NC.

That said, I doubt he's considering JMU, as JMU has R-Soph Drew Dudzick and highly touted true freshman Justin Thorpe who'll be competing for the starting job next season.

CID1990
January 7th, 2009, 06:30 PM
What's his rap sheet look like? Any armed robberies?

EmeryZach
January 7th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Yeah I don't think JMU would be one of his choices. I'm guessing he wants to come back North.

EmeryZach
January 7th, 2009, 06:32 PM
What's his rap sheet look like? Any armed robberies?

No, just the underage drinking.

I think more than a few of us here can attest to how easy it is to get busted for underage drinking your freshman year at college. xwhistlex xsmiley_wix

Cobblestone
January 7th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Sounds like he'd fit in nicely to Rizzi's offense.

BDKJMU
January 7th, 2009, 06:43 PM
For those who aren't aware, his dad is Phil Simms, former Super Bowl MVP and his older brother is Chris Simms, who started at Tx before Vince Young and is now the 3rd string QB at Tennesse behind Vince Young & Kerry Collins.

EmeryZach
January 7th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Oops, forgot to mention that. Just assumed everyone already knew who he was. My bad.

BDKJMU
January 7th, 2009, 09:06 PM
No, just the underage drinking.

I think more than a few of us here can attest to how easy it is to get busted for underage drinking your freshman year at college. xwhistlex xsmiley_wix

Underage possession/consumption of alcohol? He must be going to UD to party it up with their coaches.:p

henfan
January 7th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Underage possession/consumption of alcohol? He must be going to UD to party it up with their coaches.:p

In which case he'd be disappointed to find that his party pal was fired by UD for DUI and rehired by Rhody. ;)

EmeryZach
January 7th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Well UD already got Devlin, so they don't need him.

UMass is hurting for a quality QB to replace Coen. We could really use him.

But since he was only a redshirt freshman this year he might end up transferring to the MAC, or Conference USA.

He'd be better off coming to the CAA though.

LehighFan11
January 7th, 2009, 09:30 PM
I don't know if anyone saw this story go across the ESPN bottom line, but I thought it was funny. It said something like "Louisville QB Matt Simms will transfer, Son of Phil Simms. As I read the first part, I thought to my self who is this and why do we care. Then as you read the second part you realize and Ohhhhh. He probably won't do much wherever he goes.

EmeryZach
January 7th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Well he did win the State Championship at Don Bosco his senior year, and had some great season stats.

Here is his old Rivals.com profile http://www.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=43255&Sport=1

I think he could definitely be a huge factor at the FCS level. He would be a huge catch for any team.

CatMom07
January 7th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Just keep him out of TX. His brother got the starting job at UT over Major Applewhite because of alumni and other outside forces. He wasn't as good as Applewhite for college ball and they had to replace him in the Red River Rivalry, after they got so far behind a win was almost impossible. They put Major in and actually almost came back.

I don't follow UT much but that was such a big deal here that year (and I do live in Austin) that one couldn't help knowing or following the info. (You know... UT local news, UT newspaper)

BDKJMU
January 8th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Just keep him out of TX. His brother got the starting job at UT over Major Applewhite because of alumni and other outside forces. He wasn't as good as Applewhite for college ball and they had to replace him in the Red River Rivalry, after they got so far behind a win was almost impossible. They put Major in and actually almost came back.

I don't follow UT much but that was such a big deal here that year (and I do live in Austin) that one couldn't help knowing or following the info. (You know... UT local news, UT newspaper)

I don't know, Simms is still in the pros after 6 seasons (granted he's 3rd string for the Titans) while Applewhite never made it past his 1st training camp in 02'.

EmeryZach
January 8th, 2009, 05:34 AM
I agree with BDK. Plus Chris kept playing in a game for the Bucs with a ruptured spleen. One tough kid.
Chris is a really nice kid too. I met him once and he couldn't have been nicer.

Matt on the other hand; I have heard he isn't a very nice kid. He is pretty full of himself from what people have told me. But still, I'd like to see him at UMass.

caribbeanhen
January 8th, 2009, 06:13 AM
I don't know, Simms is still in the pros after 6 seasons (granted he's 3rd string for the Titans) while Applewhite never made it past his 1st training camp in 02'.

I was thinking the same thing JMU

mcveyrl
January 8th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Last Louisville QB to transfer might have been Justin Rascati to JMU. We know how that turned out, 29-7 record as a starter with an NC.

That said, I doubt he's considering JMU, as JMU has R-Soph Drew Dudzick and highly touted true freshman Justin Thorpe who'll be competing for the starting job next season.

He's probably not considering JMU, but FWIW, there was a report that we were one of the three finalists for Devlin. That being said...he's probably no Pat Devlin.

CID1990
January 8th, 2009, 08:21 AM
He should look at CCU or CSU. With just booze on his record, he'll look like an angel.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 8th, 2009, 08:43 AM

xnonox

NFL success has nothing to do with how they played at Texas.

Since Simms played at Don Bosco Prep, you'd think he'd think about "coming home" to play college ball, but I doubt it - his dad, of course, is a national name and would go see his son play anywhere from Portland State to Maine. He'll go wherever he can nationally.

You know where he could end up? Don't laugh... Montana.

HIU 93
January 8th, 2009, 08:47 AM

Phil Simms is his father. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.xwhistlex

danefan
January 8th, 2009, 08:56 AM
He's going to end up at a JUCO and do the 4-2-4 route to avoid sitting at all.

He needs to gain experience, and from what I've heard he's not cut from the same mold as his father or brother.

I see Phil Simms from time-to-time eating dinner with Greg Schiavo at my favorite restaurant (River Palm Terrace) which is 1 mile from my house (Schiano grew up in the town that Simms now lives - Franklin Lakes) . I wouldn't be surprised to See Matt at Nassau Community (or some other two year school) and then to Rutgers. There is a 4-2-4 Rule that allows a kid to transfer from a 4 year to a 2 year and back to a 4 year without sitting any years out.

I doubt he'd go the FCS route, because they believe he is still a BCS caliber QB (questionable, but possible).

proasu89
January 8th, 2009, 09:22 AM
For those who aren't aware, his dad is Phil Simms, former Super Bowl MVP and his older brother is Chris Simms, who started at Tx before Vince Young and is now the 3rd string QB at Tennesse behind Vince Young & Kerry Collins.

That sucks when you are worse than you. xlolx

CatMom07
January 8th, 2009, 10:02 AM
My point was, keep him away from us. Yes, I know Simms made the NFL, etc. However, for UT and their system, he was not the better QB at that time. He was moved to 1st string because of outside pressures, not because he had won the job in the off season, he hadn't.

Applewhite worked for them, like Nealy worked for us. Neither is in the NFL but they took their teams places. If Brown had had his druthers, Simms would have waited another year.
(Nealy in CFL, Applewhite coaching at UT)

Anyway, just keep him out of TX. I don't want to see any other college down here have to face that again.

EmeryZach
January 8th, 2009, 12:23 PM
He's going to end up at a JUCO and do the 4-2-4 route to avoid sitting at all.

He needs to gain experience, and from what I've heard he's not cut from the same mold as his father or brother.

I see Phil Simms from time-to-time eating dinner with Greg Schiavo at my favorite restaurant (River Palm Terrace) which is 1 mile from my house (Schiano grew up in the town that Simms now lives - Franklin Lakes) . I wouldn't be surprised to See Matt at Nassau Community (or some other two year school) and then to Rutgers. There is a 4-2-4 Rule that allows a kid to transfer from a 4 year to a 2 year and back to a 4 year without sitting any years out.

I doubt he'd go the FCS route, because they believe he is still a BCS caliber QB (questionable, but possible).

Yeah I could definitely see him going to Rutgers, especially now that his old buddy Teel is graduating.

It would be way better for him though if he came to the CAA. I think he would be way more successful.

danefan
January 8th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Yeah I could definitely see him going to Rutgers, especially now that his old buddy Teel is graduating.

It would be way better for him though if he came to the CAA. I think he would be way more successful.

I agree, but I'm not sure that is going to happen. Take the kid out of the spotlight and away from the pressures of being Phil Simms' son and you'd think he'd excel. He's got the talent, that's for sure.

TTUEagles
January 8th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I heard a "third-hand" rumor (take that for what it's worth) that some discussion was made about him coming to Tennessee Tech.

elon77
January 8th, 2009, 03:33 PM
How about Liberty? He could be a flame! They might need a QB.

BDKJMU
January 8th, 2009, 05:09 PM
That sucks when you are worse than you. xlolx

Uh, believe Simms was a senior when Young was a true freshman. Young redshirted.

UNHCATSFAN
January 8th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I played with Matt in High School at Don Bosco. He was the back up QB as a freshman behind Mike Teel my senior year on that amazing Bosco team.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Matt go to Rutgers. Mike is now graduating and its just a good fit. Its close to home as well. Or perhaps a FCS school in that area such as a Hofstra or Delaware.

EmeryZach
January 8th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Maybe Hofstra, but definitely not Delaware now that they have Devlin.

And about Tennessee Tech, I'm guessing that he will probably want to come back to the East coast.

UNHCATSFAN
January 8th, 2009, 06:31 PM
not sure if anyone will really truly welcome in Matt anyways. Not exactly an out of this world QB for the FCS level. In my opinion FCS transfers should be gotta have kind of guys otherwise build up through your own program. Just my opinion though.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 9th, 2009, 12:07 AM
There was what appeared to be a reasonable source on the Lehigh board that suggested that Simms will consider Lehigh. Lehigh has had strong ties with Don Bosco and Bergen so i'm sure somewhere during the recruiting process Lehigh approached him. I'm interested to see how this will play out.

Monmouth Fan
January 11th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I played with Matt in High School at Don Bosco. He was the back up QB as a freshman behind Mike Teel my senior year on that amazing Bosco team.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Matt go to Rutgers. Mike is now graduating and its just a good fit. Its close to home as well. Or perhaps a FCS school in that area such as a Hofstra or Delaware.

I don't believe Rutgers will take Matt. Matt wasn't as good as Mike Teel. I saw Matt play several times, including his last game for Don Bosco at Giants Stadium, where he made a total fool of himself after the game. Matt is not BCS material. Matt’s lucky to have been at Louisville. If he couldn't start there what makes anyone think he could start at Rutgers? He will go JUCO route and hope dad’s fame and name will get him another shot at BCS level.

R3TRO
January 12th, 2009, 09:23 AM
not sure if anyone will really truly welcome in Matt anyways. Not exactly an out of this world QB for the FCS level. In my opinion FCS transfers should be gotta have kind of guys otherwise build up through your own program. Just my opinion though.

xeekx What? xconfusedx

danefan
January 12th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I don't believe Rutgers will take Matt. Matt wasn't as good as Mike Teel. I saw Matt play several times, including his last game for Don Bosco at Giants Stadium, where he made a total fool of himself after the game. Matt is not BCS material. Matt’s lucky to have been at Louisville. If he couldn't start there what makes anyone think he could start at Rutgers? He will go JUCO route and hope dad’s fame and name will get him another shot at BCS level.

That's exactly why he'll end up at Rutgers as a backup. Close to home and Schiavo and Phil Simms are pals.

Sly Fox
January 12th, 2009, 09:41 AM
For the record, I was in the Austin media covering the Horns when Chris played for UT. He earned the starting job in training camp and practice where he was always head and shoulders above Major. But while Major had nowhere near the talent of Chris, he was a gamer.

Despite his golden boy persona, Chris really was a quality guy when I was around him. He was certainly much more popular with his teammates than Major from what I saw.

As for his little brother, I agree that he'll likely head to JUCO for a year. Although Flacco has certainly raised more than a few eyebrows in the football community.

danefan
January 12th, 2009, 09:50 AM
For the record, I was in the Austin media covering the Horns when Chris played for UT. He earned the starting job in training camp and practice where he was always head and shoulders above Major. But while Major had nowhere near the talent of Chris, he was a gamer.

Despite his golden boy persona, Chris really was a quality guy when I was around him. He was certainly much more popular with his teammates than Major from what I saw.

As for his little brother, I agree that he'll likely head to JUCO for a year. Although Flacco has certainly raised more than a few eyebrows in the football community.

I agree, Chris and I were acquaintances throughout high school years at the QB camps and showcase circuits. He was always a stand up individual, especially compared to some of the other highly touted recruits I came across.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 12th, 2009, 10:41 AM
There was what appeared to be a reasonable source on the Lehigh board that suggested that Simms will consider Lehigh. Lehigh has had strong ties with Don Bosco and Bergen so i'm sure somewhere during the recruiting process Lehigh approached him. I'm interested to see how this will play out.

Very, very, very interesting... the trouble is, we have a pretty good rising junior who just led Lehigh to a win over Lafayette. Simms was a redshirt frosh last year, so he'd be a year behind Clark.

Not only do we have a Don Bosco connection at Lehigh and a Louisville connection (LB coach), it would be interesting if Simms transferred to Lehigh since Todd Brunner, former Giant QB Scott Brunner's brother (I believe), wore the Brown & White too in the early 1990's. AFAIK, the more, the merrier. xthumbsupx

EmeryZach
January 12th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I'm hearing more and more that he is going to go JUCO for a year and then decide where he wants to go.

He probably should have just went DIII and been a big star and started since his freshman year.

He would have done well at Williams, Middlebury, Amherst, anyone of the NESCAC schools.

danefan
January 12th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I'm hearing more and more that he is going to go JUCO for a year and then decide where he wants to go.

He probably should have just went DIII and been a big star and started since his freshman year.

He would have done well at Williams, Middlebury, Amherst, anyone of the NESCAC schools.

Depends. Some talent in the NESCAC, but a passing QB with very little talent around him, is likely to have a tough time.

I think he could be an FCS QB.

Blue Hen 53
January 12th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Can't wait to see Devlin in Royal Blue and Gold!

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090108/SPORTS07/901080363/1028

Monmouth Fan
January 12th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I agree, Chris and I were acquaintances throughout high school years at the QB camps and showcase circuits. He was always a stand up individual, especially compared to some of the other highly touted recruits I came across.

Chris always seemed like a standup guy and was a really good athlete, not only at football but was also a good basketball player at Ramapo HS. Chris actually went into the opposing team's locker room after Matt's blowup to apologize for his brother's actions.

ktuck911
January 17th, 2009, 08:10 AM
What about his dad's alma mater Moorehead State?

ngineer
January 17th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Very, very, very interesting... the trouble is, we have a pretty good rising junior who just led Lehigh to a win over Lafayette. Simms was a redshirt frosh last year, so he'd be a year behind Clark.

Not only do we have a Don Bosco connection at Lehigh and a Louisville connection (LB coach), it would be interesting if Simms transferred to Lehigh since Todd Brunner, former Giant QB Scott Brunner's brother (I believe), wore the Brown & White too in the early 1990's. AFAIK, the more, the merrier. xthumbsupx

Well, to come to Lehigh he'd certainly have to like competition. Clark as a rising junior and a strong finish to his sophomore year; plus Lum the highly thought-of freshman from Michigan who many believe has better skills than Clark. In addition, Cisneros, the other rising junior is also very capable from all accounts.

DetroitFlyer
January 17th, 2009, 08:26 PM
What about his dad's alma mater Moorehead State?

Could be a perfect fit. I doubt the Sims need an atheltic scholarship and MSU could use a top level QB. If he harbors professional ambitions, Josh Johnson paved a path.... It really seems like a no brainer to me, he would be a very good fit at MSU! He would even get to lift in "Dad's" weight training center.... JUCO seems like a complete waste of time IMHO.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 17th, 2009, 08:41 PM
He would even get to lift in "Dad's" weight training center...

Boy, talk about not being able to escape the shadow of your Dad... xlolx

EmeryZach
January 18th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I'm still hearing that he is looking for the right JUCO

EmeryZach
March 6th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Just an update to close out this thread. According to www.NorthJersey.com, Matt Simms has decided to go the JUCO route and will be heading to El Camino Junior College.

Not suprising because he wants to transfer back to an FBS school and won't lose eligibility this way.

The article is here http://www.northjersey.com/collegesports/college/Matt_Simms_headed_to_junior_college.html

PaladinFan
March 6th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Probably will head to the Come All Athletes Conference if I had a guess :)

UNH SUPERFAN
March 7th, 2009, 10:02 AM

I think he's behind Kerry Collins and Vince Young.

CrazyCat
March 7th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I think he's behind Kerry Collins and Vince Young.

How about behind Jay Cutler :)

already123
March 9th, 2009, 11:00 PM
NAU always takes QBs...

89Hen
March 10th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Probably will head to the Come All Athletes Conference if I had a guess :)
http://firstorderhistorians.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/glasshouses.jpg

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/08/20/sports/20college.jpg

bandl
March 10th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Chris always seemed like a standup guy and was a really good athlete, not only at football but was also a good basketball player at Ramapo HS. Chris actually went into the opposing team's locker room after Matt's blowup to apologize for his brother's actions.

He's not. I'm related to him. xsmhx He's a smug shmuck. xthumbsupx

CrazyCat
March 10th, 2009, 01:56 PM
He's not. I'm related to him. xsmhx He's a smug shmuck. xthumbsupx

Say that fast three times... smug shmuck...smug shmuck...smug shmuck xlolx

EmeryZach
March 10th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I met Chris once at ice cream store parking lot in Ridgewood, NJ right after he got drafted by the Bucs, and he was the nicest guy ever.

I was in high school and was with a bunch of buddies after a summer training session, and he rolled up in an Escalade. He knew we recognized him so he came over to us and introduced himself and talked football for about 15 minutes. Really nice guy. I don't think there are too many other kids who would have done that after being drafted into the NFL.

But I have heard that Matt is a jerk. I'm sure El Camino Community College will serve him well.