PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Bentley leaving Presbyterian (link)

catamount man
January 5th, 2009, 10:20 PM
http://www.wyff4.com/sports/18417599/detail.html

xeekx xeekx xeekx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

WCU LawCat
January 6th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Sounds like there may have been some truth to the rumor that he couldn't keep coaches and that there were some issues with him at PC.

ASU
January 6th, 2009, 01:16 AM
There must be some reason.....because it just doesn't make sense otherwise.....they beat Liberty last year, and played several schools well.

SuperJon
January 6th, 2009, 01:19 AM
This made my night. It really did. They beat us in basketball tonight and I came back to read this. I'm not surprised at all. That guy's has seemed like a slimeball from the get go.

I am gonna miss the blog though.

The Cats
January 6th, 2009, 06:42 AM
What a slap in the face to the PC fans........

OL FU
January 6th, 2009, 06:53 AM
I feel for the the PC fans who had such high hopes for Bentley.

Now go get a real coachxsmiley_wix :p

Millwoch
January 6th, 2009, 07:50 AM
PC was in on some of the top FCS recruits in the state...what will happen to them. I am sure Higgins, Ayers, and Lamb are jumping on them as we speak.

In other PC news...It looks like they will make a trip to Charleston next year to play the Bulldogs.

OL FU
January 6th, 2009, 08:56 AM
From the Greenville News

Bentley would not elaborate, but he did confirm that the Spartanburg School District 5 Board of Trustees voted Monday night to create the position of district-wide athletic director.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20090106/SPORTS/301060004/1002/SPORTS

Nothing else of interest in the link, just provided as the source.

OL FU
January 6th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Discussion over at the PC board seems to blame slower than promised scholarship funding and a general bad fiscal situation at the college.

No idea how much of it is true.

Something was up. Bentley was making $300K at PC ( I believe I remember that number) which is quite a paycheck for an FCS coach expecially a transition team from a very small private school. I can't imagine the new job cracking 6 figures but who knows.

SuperJon
January 6th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Someone said he's likely making $90,000 at the new job.

Either things are really really really bad at PC or Bentley has absolutely no character. The dude bailed on his ALMA MATER in January, a month before signing day.

OL FU
January 6th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Someone said he's likely making $90,000 at the new job.

Either things are really really really bad at PC or Bentley has absolutely no character. The dude bailed on his ALMA MATER in January, a month before signing day.

Of course it is all speculation. I know he didn't please a lot of FU fans with his blogxlolx of course, his job wasn't to please FU fansxsmiley_wix

Money isn't everything, but it has to be tough to take a 67% paycut.

He is pretty much a cult figure in the upstate with the success of Byrnes.

SuperJon
January 6th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I loved the blog. That was so entertaining to read. I'm going to miss it.

WOCO
January 6th, 2009, 10:01 AM
I had a conversation with a PC board member when PC started the process of going D1. I told him it was a huge mistake. AT the DII level you are getting the the players that are left and the recruiting is even across the board. FCS players usually have more options in where they want to go play and live for the next 4 years. PC is a small school in a really really small town. There is no college life at all for athletes that have a choice. I told him that they never had a chance to recruit enough quality players. He said Bobby would make the difference. I told him back then that bobby would leave as soon as he realized that he couldn't recruit on the FCS level at that school in that city. He saw the writing on the wall.

OL FU
January 6th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I had a conversation with a PC board member when PC started the process of going D1. I told him it was a huge mistake. AT the DII level you are getting the the players that are left and the recruiting is even across the board. FCS players usually have more options in where they want to go play and live for the next 4 years. PC is a small school in a really really small town. There is no college life at all for athletes that have a choice. I told him that they never had a chance to recruit enough quality players. He said Bobby would make the difference. I told him back then that bobby would leave as soon as he realized that he couldn't recruit on the FCS level at that school in that city. He saw the writing on the wall.

So you are saying PC was unrealistic and Bentley is a schmuck:)

WOCO
January 6th, 2009, 10:29 AM
So you are saying PC was unrealistic and Bentley is a schmuck:)

Thats could be one way of interpreting it. I dont know what bobby was thinking when he took the job. He had the perfect setup at Byrnes. National TV games, Nike Contracts. Every middle school in the district ran his offense in preparation for playing at byrnes one day. Even the Pee Wee leagues ran his offense. It is a machine. The kids dream of one day playing for byrnes. That is why the are always national contendors at Byrnes. From that to PC. A school in a mill town of 8k people and absolutely nothing to do as a college student. He had a recruiting base set up at byrnes. PC is an entirely different ball game. Nobody dreams of one day playing at PC and living in clinton.

OL FU
January 6th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Thats could be one way of interpreting it. I dont know what bobby was thinking when he took the job. He had the perfect setup at Byrnes. National TV games, Nike Contracts. Every middle school in the district ran his offense in preparation for playing at byrnes one day. Even the Pee Wee leagues ran his offense. It is a machine. The kids dream of one day playing for byrnes. That is why the are always national contendors at Byrnes. From that to PC. A school in a mill town of 8k people and absolutely nothing to do as a college student. He had a recruiting base set up at byrnes. PC is an entirely different ball game. Nobody dreams of one day playing at PC and living in clinton.

My guess is it was the lure of potential big money. First PC paid him a lot and second if he was successful there he would have a shot at the big time and make millions. Maybe he simply realized that lack of success there would end that dream. Who knows?

gobluehose1
January 6th, 2009, 11:28 AM
there are some fiscal issues at PC......of course in this economic situaton every school has had some fiscal issues........This PC fan thinks it is a lot more that Bentley realized that he couldn't just walk in and have a dynasty at PC like he has at Byrnes (something all of us knew and saw coming deep down)......I also read he dosen't like all the recruiting and being away from his family.....so go figure

we need coach that knows the situation and wants to work hard with what he's got......which is exactly what we had with Tommy Spangler before he went to LA Tech

gobluehose1
January 6th, 2009, 11:29 AM
also, I'd be willing to bet he is the HC at Byrnes again in 2 years or less

whitey
January 6th, 2009, 11:35 AM
This sounds like the plot from the Friday Night Lights TV show.

OL FU
January 6th, 2009, 12:17 PM
there are some fiscal issues at PC......of course in this economic situaton every school has had some fiscal issues........This PC fan thinks it is a lot more that Bentley realized that he couldn't just walk in and have a dynasty at PC like he has at Byrnes (something all of us knew and saw coming deep down)......I also read he dosen't like all the recruiting and being away from his family.....so go figure

we need coach that knows the situation and wants to work hard with what he's got......which is exactly what we had with Tommy Spangler before he went to LA Tech

I wondered how much thought he put into the differences in high school and college. I assumed he had, but if you are correct, apparently not.

WOCO
January 6th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I wondered how much thought he put into the differences in high school and college. I assumed he had, but if you are correct, apparently not.

I don't know the man personally but maybe his ego was the problem. Maybe he though he could do anything anywhere anytime with any team. When it didn't go that way he didn't know how to react so he pulled a Patrino. Adversity doesn't build character, it shows character. Plus if he was really making 300k like some have said why else would he have left? He must have a clause in his contract that says he can't coach if he leaves PC early without a buyout. That is the only explanation for him not coaching somewhere else. PC protected itself. FCS teams arent big on paying buyouts to get coaches and BCS isn't paying buyouts for assistants. It not like he is even a proven head coach on the FCS level so he would get a BCS head coaching offer anyway. I think he simply bit off more than he could chew.

OL FU
January 6th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I don't know the man personally but maybe his ego was the problem. Maybe he though he could do anything anywhere anytime with any team. When it didn't go that way he didn't know how to react so he pulled a Patrino. Adversity doesn't build character, it shows character. Plus if he was really making 300k like some have said why else would he have left? He must have a clause in his contract that says he can't coach if he leaves PC early without a buyout. That is the only explanation for him not coaching somewhere else. PC protected itself. FCS teams arent big on paying buyouts to get coaches and BCS isn't paying buyouts for assistants. It not like he is even a proven head coach on the FCS level so he would get a BCS head coaching offer anyway. I think he simply bit off more than he could chew.

That could be. I don't know him either and I certainly don't mean to disparage him as all this is just message board speculation but my experience is that people who are extraordinarily successful tend to believe that success is an innate part of their make up.

I wish PC well in the future. Lacking a head coach during recruiting season could be a very large, but hopefully short term, blow to their transition.

Purple Knight
January 6th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Enough already.

We've questioned his character (greed, honesty and intelligence), his coaching and recruiting ability, his ability to get along with coaching assistants, players, school adm and fans. Let it be. He may tell us later.

OL FU
January 6th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Enough already.

We've questioned his character (greed, honesty and intelligence), his coaching and recruiting ability, his ability to get along with coaching assistants, players, school adm and fans. Let it be. He may tell us later.

No thanks. We will stop when we are ready. xrolleyesx

No one here has said this is anything other than speculation. It isn't like we damning him with facts or pretending we know. I believe message boards live and die on these discussions.

WOCO
January 6th, 2009, 01:31 PM
One more note about recruiting at PC. There are 7 FCS schools in SC. Wofford, Furman, Citidel, SC State, Coastal and Charleston Southern and I would contend that when a college player looks at these places to live for the next 4 years PC faces some challenges. Players do want a life off of the field.

CSUBUCDAD
January 6th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Bobby is a virtual god in Duncan. I think in large part, he misses the perks of having that kind of stature on a day to day basis. Not to mention he lost I think 1 game in 4 years at Byrnes. He lost 13 in 2 years at PC. That would bother the hell out of me too.

Biff
January 6th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I talked to an old PC Coach, that knows on the program, over the weekend. PC couldn't keep there assistants as they used PC as a stepping stone. He also said that while the push to FCS had a majority backing, some of that backing is now regreting the move. Of course, this info could be tallied up to more rumors, but he is in the profession.

Biff
January 6th, 2009, 02:07 PM
One more note about recruiting at PC. There are 7 FCS schools in SC. Wofford, Furman, THE Citadel, SC State, Coastal and Charleston Southern and I would contend that when a college player looks at these places to live for the next 4 years PC faces some challenges. Players do want a life off of the field.

What little life off campus we give you is better than Clinton, SC.

OL FU
January 6th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Once again per the PC message board, there is a statement up on PC's website stating that he resigned due to coaching duties interfering with his family.

WOCO
January 6th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Bobby is going back to be the offensive coordinator at Byrnes. An 80k OC at a high school. So much for school districts not having money for books or gas for buses huh?

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20090106/NEWS/901060248/1112?Title=Bentley_returning_to_Byrnes_as_offensiv e_coordinator

In other news, the state is contemplating not awarding teachers any pay raises in 2009

http://www.thestate.com/breaking/story/641341.html

OL FU
January 6th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Bobby is going back to be the offensive coordinator at Byrnes. An 80k OC at a high school. So much for school districts not having money for books or gas for buses huh?

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20090106/NEWS/901060248/1112?Title=Bentley_returning_to_Byrnes_as_offensiv e_coordinator

In other news, the state is contemplating not awarding teachers any pay raises in 2009

Wonder how the current Byrnes head coach feelsxeekx

SuperJon
January 6th, 2009, 04:27 PM

The 80-90,000 is for his regular job as athletic director, not coaching.

As for the current Byrnes coach, he should just quit now. There's no way he gets any respect next year.

OL FU
January 6th, 2009, 04:36 PM

As for the current Byrnes coach, he should just quit now. There's no way he gets any respect next year.

I think his point is the same and actually even worse. From what I understand, the AD job has been created for Bentley.

And Purple Knight that is not a knock on Bentley. but the school districtxrolleyesx

Reign of Terrier
January 6th, 2009, 05:04 PM

Blah Blah Blah...Sorry but being a REBEL SCUM is nothing compared to being a Gaffney Indian. I'll take my 16 state championships to their 7 anyday!

I would love to see Byrnes wither and DIE when they no longer recruit! Most of there starters are not from Duncun.

By the way I heard one of the reasons he's leaving is that the recruits he wants/ is getting aren't cutting the academic standards.

WOCO
January 6th, 2009, 05:12 PM

Yeah, but they created that position for him. I didn't exist until he wanted it. Something is kinda shady there. I dont care what anybody says.

Reign of Terrier
January 6th, 2009, 05:17 PM
DUM DUM DUM!!!

catamount man
January 6th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Blah Blah Blah...Sorry but being a REBEL SCUM is nothing compared to being a Gaffney Indian. I'll take my 16 state championships to their 7 anyday!

I would love to see Byrnes wither and DIE when they no longer recruit! Most of there starters are not from Duncun.

By the way I heard one of the reasons he's leaving is that the recruits he wants/ is getting aren't cutting the academic standards.

EXACTLY and this is why I personally cannot stand seeing them, watching them, or hearing about them. My God, I remember the days when they couldn't BUY a win, but now they are nothing more than a glorified small college program, recruiting young men from other towns to come play for them. I hope Gaffney and especially Boiling Springs can get the best of them on the field the next several years.

catamount man
January 6th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Oh and Doug Malone, PC OL coach and WCU OC in 2007, has been named interim head coach.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

WOCO
January 6th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Oh and Doug Malone, PC OL coach and WCU OC in 2007, has been named interim head coach.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

This all fell into place pretty quick. Bobby gets a job. PC gets new coach. Seems like Byrnes, PC and Bobby have known this was going to happen for a while.

catamount man
January 6th, 2009, 07:57 PM
This all fell into place pretty quick. Bobby gets a job. PC gets new coach. Seems like Byrnes, PC and Bobby have known this was going to happen for a while.

Did PC jump the gun as it pertains to Division I? Did Bentley just think he would get the same results on the college level that he got as king of South Carolina high school football? Who is more to blame, John Griffith, PC president, or Bee Carlton, PC AD?

I'm sure these are the main questions on the minds of PC fans tonight.

WOCO
January 6th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Did PC jump the gun as it pertains to Division I? Did Bentley just think he would get the same results on the college level that he got as king of South Carolina high school football? Who is more to blame, John Griffith, PC president, or Bee Carlton, PC AD?

I'm sure these are the main questions on the minds of PC fans tonight.

I think they may have made a mistake going D1. I think they saw what wofford did and figured they could do the same thing but it is a different situation. I don't know that it matters who they get to coach. It's just not a good situation for FCS football in this state at a school like PC. I think the blame may fall with whoever thought going d1 was a good idea.

catamount man
January 6th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I think they may have made a mistake going D1. I think they saw what wofford did and figured they could do the same thing but it is a different situation. I don't know that it matters who they get to coach. It's just not a good situation for FCS football in this state at a school like PC. I think the blame may fall with whoever thought going d1 was a good idea.

I agree and I'm sure the SAC would take them back and each team could play 4 home and 4 away.

Reign of Terrier
January 6th, 2009, 09:33 PM
EXACTLY and this is why I personally cannot stand seeing them, watching them, or hearing about them. My God, I remember the days when they couldn't BUY a win, but now they are nothing more than a glorified small college program, recruiting young men from other towns to come play for them. I hope Gaffney and especially Boiling Springs can get the best of them on the field the next several years.

Trust me, Byrnes wasn't the best team in state, South Pointe was and they actually get their talent WITHOUT RECRUITING!!!

SuperJon
January 6th, 2009, 09:51 PM
I've been thinking more about this and I'm not buying the family excuse as the only reason. The head coach doesn't go out recruiting anywhere near as much as the assistants. I don't remember a single time during the season when Coach Rocco was out of the office recruiting. You're only allowed seven coaches recruiting at a time anyways so the head coach generally stays at home until the very end and then he doesn't go but to a few recruits. It just seems fishy.

wocorebel
January 6th, 2009, 10:03 PM

Wooo there youngterrier, we might have Wofford black and gold running through our vains, but when it comes to Gaffney we will have to draw the line. The Rebel Empire will live on in Duncan and at the new Rebelvation with or without Bentley. I talked to him at the Dorman/Byrnes rematch and asked him how recruiting was going and then he told me that he was having trouble getting people in and to come. I wished he stayed at PC because I like the fact that he took the leap, but anyone from Duncan knows that he misses his family and hates making the trip. He has a lot of really small children and he might have gone back to Byrnes to get to work with Chas some more to try to get him a scholarship. And South Pointe wouldn't have beaten Dorman none the less Byrnes this year.

WCU LawCat
January 7th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Trust me, Byrnes wasn't the best team in state, South Pointe was and they actually get their talent WITHOUT RECRUITING!!!

I agree with you that South Pointe and Northwestern were the best two teams in the state...but they did recruit Devonte Holloman from Charlotte and tried to recruit another kid from Charlotte who. The rest of the team is Rock Hill home grown including Gilmore. Former Catamount Great Louis Cooper is a coach there.

OL FU
January 7th, 2009, 06:36 AM
I think the only problem with PC going D1 is if they can't fund it. Certainly there are disadvantages to Clinton and so forth. But they did beat a few D1 programs this year and could have possibly beaten a few more next. The ability to compete at DI is in many ways directly proportional to funding. IF they can't fund they shouldn't have done it. Otherwise, I don't buy the argument that they couldn't compete.

gobluehose1
January 7th, 2009, 08:29 AM
I think the only problem with PC going D1 is if they can't fund it. Certainly there are disadvantages to Clinton and so forth. But they did beat a few D1 programs this year and could have possibly beaten a few more next. The ability to compete at DI is in many ways directly proportional to funding. IF they can't fund they shouldn't have done it. Otherwise, I don't buy the argument that they couldn't compete.

the talk of funding has only become an issue since the bottom fell out of the stock market and the school was caught with their pants down....trying to fund a move to D-I and starting a pharmacy school as well.....if the market rebounds over the next couple of years and we continue to get some good wins in fb and bball, I think we'll be OK

But thats just my opinion largely constructed from hearsay and small tidbits that I hear from people "in the know"

OL FU
January 7th, 2009, 08:38 AM
the talk of funding has only become an issue since the bottom fell out of the stock market and the school was caught with their pants down....trying to fund a move to D-I and starting a pharmacy school as well.....if the market rebounds over the next couple of years and we continue to get some good wins in fb and bball, I think we'll be OK

But thats just my opinion largely constructed from hearsay and small tidbits that I hear from people "in the know"

So we agree, the main impediment is funding. xthumbsupx Solve that one and PC could certainly be competitive.

terrierbob
January 7th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Was PC successful at the Div. II level?

OL FU
January 7th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Was PC successful at the Div. II level?

Doesn't that depend on your definition of success. The work I have used is competitive. In football, this year they beat Liberty and CCU. the two teams that have been the closest to dominate in the BSouth.

Hoseinexile07
January 7th, 2009, 01:56 PM
We were highly competitive in football, especially in my last two years. Before, even when we hovered at around a game or so over .500, we still had serious upset potential.

I don't know what's going on in Clinton, but Bobby's departure only a few weeks away from signing day was a bit irritating. You'd think he could have stuck it out for a few more weeks. This is more complicated, I think, than family issues.

Reign of Terrier
January 7th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Wooo there youngterrier, we might have Wofford black and gold running through our vains, but when it comes to Gaffney we will have to draw the line. The Rebel Empire will live on in Duncan and at the new Rebelvation with or without Bentley. I talked to him at the Dorman/Byrnes rematch and asked him how recruiting was going and then he told me that he was having trouble getting people in and to come. I wished he stayed at PC because I like the fact that he took the leap, but anyone from Duncan knows that he misses his family and hates making the trip. He has a lot of really small children and he might have gone back to Byrnes to get to work with Chas some more to try to get him a scholarship. And South Pointe wouldn't have beaten Dorman none the less Byrnes this year.

Psha! Gaffney lost to Dorman in OT and we were horrible this year and I can tell you that SP could beat us!

BTW I say that because they beat the crap out of Northwestern who lost to Byrnes last year ever so slightly. Also their players have been playing Varsity ball longer than anyone in state.

Reign of Terrier
January 7th, 2009, 03:34 PM
BTW-- a funny fact about Byrnes, their apparel for fans is stored in a truck with a website called Rebelstdclub.com, I can't tell if it's Rebelstdclub or Rebelstdclub!xwhistlex xwhistlex xlolx xlolx xlolx

hoseman
January 8th, 2009, 11:06 AM
A truck full of high school fan stuff...hope you are joking?

kirkblitz
January 8th, 2009, 11:38 AM
yall can hire bennett if you want...

woffordgrad94
January 10th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I live a stone's throw away from Bobby Bentley's hometown on Lyman, SC, and we know the Bentley family well. Bobby Bentley used to be a nice kid, but now the man has turned into an arrogant jerk! Forthose of you who don't know, beforte he went to PC, Bobby was the coach of Byrnes High School in Duncan, SC, where he starred as a HS player. He developed one of the most effective and potent high school pass offenses in the whole country at Byrnes and turned that team into a high school super power! He also became more and more arrogant an in love with himself. When PC came calling, he figured he could just go to PC (his alma mater) and turn them into an FCS power overnight. Well, he found out just how hard it is to win at the college level, and that recruiting for PC in the small town of Clinton, SC, a school with considerable academic requirements, wasn't exactly easy. So since he wasn't winning all the time like he wanted to and thought he would, he has become a crybaby quitter. He has taken his ball and gone back home with it. He has taken a job in the Spartanburg County District 5 school district (Byrnes's district) and has also rejoined the Byrnes coaching staff as the offensive coordinator. I guess he wants to be sure he wins all the time again so he can feel like God again. I have no respect for this guy anymore. He simply just quit on PC. But in the end, PC will be better off without someone like Bobby Bentley coaching its kids in football.

On a side note, my high school here in Spartanburg (Dorman) beat the almighty Byrnes this year, ending a very long winning streak they had! Although Byrnes ended Dorman's season in the upperstate championships and went on to win another state title, Dorman still can puff out their chests about popping the swelled heads at Brynes with a balloon just that once! I dislike Byrnes and I dislike Bobby Bentley! My dad, a Byrnes grad, tries to sell me Bobby and tell me he's really still a good guy who's just extremely proud of what he's accomplished, but I'm not buying it.

chantster
January 10th, 2009, 09:16 PM
yall can hire bennett if you want...

and his whole staff.

gobluehose1
January 11th, 2009, 07:59 AM
and his whole staff.

I think Bennett is staying put......

the leading candidates seem to be Todd Varn (former OC) and Harold Nichols (currently OC at Bucknell and PC alum).....alot of us PC fans thought it should have been one of these two last time around and not Byrnes Bentley

catamount man
January 11th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I think Bennett is staying put......

the leading candidates seem to be Todd Varn (former OC) and Harold Nichols (currently OC at Bucknell and PC alum).....alot of us PC fans thought it should have been one of these two last time around and not Byrnes Bentley

Todd was our OC from 2002-2004 and there were MANY times during Briggs last 3 years that I wished he was still in Cullowhee. Good guy and good coach. Hope PC gets him.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Hoseinexile07
January 11th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Varn, Nichols or Malone all seem equal to me. I don't care who takes the job as long as he is morally upright and can win football games.

catamount man
January 11th, 2009, 02:10 PM
A Furman message board poster has made the comment that Bentley was actually at Byrnes games during the high school season on Friday nights?!

Please tell me this is not true!!! Most college teams, even playing at home, stay in a hotel and eat together the night before the game. If BB was heading back up I-26 to watch Byrnes......well, I honestly don't believe his heart was in PC to begin with. WOW!

SuperJon
January 11th, 2009, 03:45 PM
A Furman message board poster has made the comment that Bentley was actually at Byrnes games during the high school season on Friday nights?!

Please tell me this is not true!!! Most college teams, even playing at home, stay in a hotel and eat together the night before the game. If BB was heading back up I-26 to watch Byrnes......well, I honestly don't believe his heart was in PC to begin with. WOW!

In his defense, and I never defend him, his stepson was the quarterback for Byrnes so he was going to watch his kid play, not just his old team.

WOCO
January 11th, 2009, 08:15 PM

I don't think college teams, especiall FCS stay at hotels the night before home games.

Biff
January 11th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I don't think college teams, especiall FCS stay at hotels the night before home games.

The Citadel does and I think I have seen SC State do the same thing. Not sure about other teams. I think you will find more do this than you think.

OL FU
January 12th, 2009, 06:29 AM
I live a stone's throw away from Bobby Bentley's hometown on Lyman, SC, and we know the Bentley family well. Bobby Bentley used to be a nice kid, but now the man has turned into an arrogant jerk! Forthose of you who don't know, beforte he went to PC, Bobby was the coach of Byrnes High School in Duncan, SC, where he starred as a HS player. He developed one of the most effective and potent high school pass offenses in the whole country at Byrnes and turned that team into a high school super power! He also became more and more arrogant an in love with himself. When PC came calling, he figured he could just go to PC (his alma mater) and turn them into an FCS power overnight. Well, he found out just how hard it is to win at the college level, and that recruiting for PC in the small town of Clinton, SC, a school with considerable academic requirements, wasn't exactly easy. So since he wasn't winning all the time like he wanted to and thought he would, he has become a crybaby quitter. He has taken his ball and gone back home with it. He has taken a job in the Spartanburg County District 5 school district (Byrnes's district) and has also rejoined the Byrnes coaching staff as the offensive coordinator. I guess he wants to be sure he wins all the time again so he can feel like God again. I have no respect for this guy anymore. He simply just quit on PC. But in the end, PC will be better off without someone like Bobby Bentley coaching its kids in football.

On a side note, my high school here in Spartanburg (Dorman) beat the almighty Byrnes this year, ending a very long winning streak they had! Although Byrnes ended Dorman's season in the upperstate championships and went on to win another state title, Dorman still can puff out their chests about popping the swelled heads at Brynes with a balloon just that once! I dislike Byrnes and I dislike Bobby Bentley! My dad, a Byrnes grad, tries to sell me Bobby and tell me he's really still a good guy who's just extremely proud of what he's accomplished, but I'm not buying it.

ssshhhh, Purple Knight might here you:o

bosshogg
January 12th, 2009, 07:26 AM
The Citadel does and I think I have seen SC State do the same thing. Not sure about other teams. I think you will find more do this than you think.

correct...SCState almost always does.

Libertine
January 12th, 2009, 07:44 AM

Liberty does.

Hoseinexile07
January 13th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Rumor is that Harold Nichols, PC alum and current OC at Bucknell, has been offered the job and accepted it. I'll be praying for him 'cause he'll need it.

walliver
January 13th, 2009, 06:34 PM

From what I understand, from the PC board, Bobby Bentley never moved! He commuted back and forth between his home near Byrnes and PC. He could have spent two hours more with his family EVERY DAY if he had moved.

I once thought the he was a coach on the rise, and that PC was just a stepping stone, but I now suspect he is just a small-town guy who would rather be the big fish in the small pond. He played at Byrnes and PC and then coached at Byrnes and PC. I doubt he and Toto will ever venture out of Kansas again.

MDFAN
January 13th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Coach Nichols is a great choice...he will certainly be missed at Bucknell.