PDA

View Full Version : Final Thoughts from a Lehigh fan

Lehigh Lover
November 19th, 2005, 08:43 PM
As a fan who has probably been known to make excuses for Lehigh's misfortunes in the past, I take a different look at things today. It has been a repetitive theme for Lehigh football for the last few years that they have taken two score leads in the 4th quarter only to find a way to lose. I credit this to the coaching staff for playing not to lose instead of going for the gold. I credit Lafayette and Coach Tavani (who I think is 10 times better than Lembo by the way) for making every big play on their final drive. I was in such disbelief that I'm not sure who got burned on the winning TD (someone help me out), but it was the same old story. Sure Lehigh only lost their 3 games this year by a combined 8 points, but they had leads of 14, 10, and 9 in the 4th quarter of those games. There is no excuse for blowing those leads. If you don't play to be number one, you'll never be number one. As far as the playoffs, congrats to Colgate and good luck. Make the PL proud. As far as Lafayette vs. Richmond and who gets the at-large, I feel it will go to Richmond considering they went 7-1 in one of the best conferences in the nation and Lafayette has two losses to Ivy's which I think will hurt them. That Lafayette win over Richmond was early in the year and I think if they played today, Richmond would win. Congrats to all autobid winners and good luck to all playoff teams. Once again, for the fourth year in a row, no hoisting of the PL championship trophy, and for the third time in four years, another miserable Selection Sunday. LEMBO HAS TO GO!!!!! This is Lehigh Lover, effectively signing off for 2005.

FlyBoy8
November 19th, 2005, 08:50 PM
It's always the close ones that really get to you. :(

kardplayer
November 19th, 2005, 09:08 PM
It's always the close ones that really get to you. :(

Ain't that the truth :mad:

I went to three games this year - today's, the 1 point OT loss to UD and the blowout victory over Harvard. I can honestly say I enjoyed the "boring" Harvard game far far more than the "exciting" games that came down to the last play.

ngineer
November 19th, 2005, 09:24 PM
As a fan who has probably been known to make excuses for Lehigh's misfortunes in the past, I take a different look at things today. It has been a repetitive theme for Lehigh football for the last few years that they have taken two score leads in the 4th quarter only to find a way to lose. I credit this to the coaching staff for playing not to lose instead of going for the gold. I credit Lafayette and Coach Tavani (who I think is 10 times better than Lembo by the way) for making every big play on their final drive. I was in such disbelief that I'm not sure who got burned on the winning TD (someone help me out), but it was the same old story. Sure Lehigh only lost their 3 games this year by a combined 8 points, but they had leads of 14, 10, and 9 in the 4th quarter of those games. There is no excuse for blowing those leads. If you don't play to be number one, you'll never be number one. As far as the playoffs, congrats to Colgate and good luck. Make the PL proud. As far as Lafayette vs. Richmond and who gets the at-large, I feel it will go to Richmond considering they went 7-1 in one of the best conferences in the nation and Lafayette has two losses to Ivy's which I think will hurt them. That Lafayette win over Richmond was early in the year and I think if they played today, Richmond would win. Congrats to all autobid winners and good luck to all playoff teams. Once again, for the fourth year in a row, no hoisting of the PL championship trophy, and for the third time in four years, another miserable Selection Sunday. LEMBO HAS TO GO!!!!! This is Lehigh Lover, effectively signing off for 2005.

In the immortal words of our past President, "I feel your pain." To answer your question, the soph. cornerback blew his assignment in letting the tailback coming out of the backfield get behind him. DT Cooney was literally hitting the QB's shoulders just as he let the pass fly. Fractions of a second.
I disagree on the "Lembo must go". These have been very trying losses, and I do disagree with some of the play calling--However, I'd switch offensive coordinator. He's the one up in the box calling the plays. Yes, technically Lembo can override, but usually the HC on the field will go with what is being called down based on what he is being told is being viewed from above. LU was on a roll in the third quarter and then seemed to get away from what was working. I've always believed in staying with what's working if the other guy isn't stopping it. Why must we use all sorts of differnet plays? I really think , in most sports today, there is too much thinking and trying to 'outsmart' the other guy, rather than just teeing off and beating the other guys on the opposite side of the lline. When you look at an HC, you have to look at the entire program, and despite the few painful disappointments, Lehigh and Lembo run a class operation. As you point out, we are not far from an undefeated season this year. A HC change could be a huge disruption, but a change in OC I'd consider.

hawkineer
November 19th, 2005, 09:52 PM
I disagree on the "Lembo must go". These have been very trying losses, and I do disagree with some of the play calling--However, I'd switch offensive coordinator. He's the one up in the box calling the plays. Yes, technically Lembo can override, but usually the HC on the field will go with what is being called down based on what he is being told is being viewed from above. LU was on a roll in the third quarter and then seemed to get away from what was working. I've always believed in staying with what's working if the other guy isn't stopping it. Why must we use all sorts of differnet plays? I really think , in most sports today, there is too much thinking and trying to 'outsmart' the other guy, rather than just teeing off and beating the other guys on the opposite side of the lline. When you look at an HC, you have to look at the entire program, and despite the few painful disappointments, Lehigh and Lembo run a class operation. As you point out, we are not far from an undefeated season this year. A HC change could be a huge disruption, but a change in OC I'd consider.
How about the fact that LU sat back and only rushed four on that last drive? How about the fact that LU played it best defense this year when the blitzed the crap out of the opposing QB? How about the fact that it took until game 11 to replace an ineffective Musiek kicking FGs and PATs? Is that the head coach who runs a class operation? :confused:

Wouldn't want to disrupt that, would we?

I feel soooo much better knowing that Lembo and Lehigh run a class operation. That is clearly better than beating LC and winning PL championships. What's really amazing is that Higgins somehow figured out that beating LC, winning PL championships, winning playoffs games, and running a class operation were not mutually exclusive. Being an apologist for Lembo? Sickening :mad:

ngineer
November 19th, 2005, 11:59 PM
As was stated at the beginning of the year, you could throw a blanket over Lehigh, Colgate and Lafayette--and guess what--exactly how the season went. Going with Musiek in the beginning had no effect on the outcome. the miss came early, and LU took lead into fourth. Yes, at times I wonder about whether we should be blitzing--I wonder the same as I watch the I-A games and the NFL--and then the burn where the blitz came from. I believe they were trying to limit the yardage as opposed to giving up the big gainer. Unfortunately, the db lost his man enough to let him get behind.
A class operation is an organization the recruits good students who can get into Lehigh in the first place, and still be good players. Not easy in the PL.
A class organization does not get hit with recruiting violatons.
A class organization wins consistently and puts a team on the field that is competitive and battles to the end.
I don't know how old some these posters are, but there was a time when Lehigh was mediocre in the late '80's -early '90's. We were happy to have a winning season and just be competitive. Higgins had one winning season in his first four years. Yes, he then hit a nice wave his last three years, and Lembo was his assoc. head coach during that stretch. Since then we've won 80% of our games, we're competitive when we go out of conference against full scholarship schools. When you are in a very competitive situation with two or three other schools you're going to have close games, and some of them we'll lose. As much as this loss hurts, in the scheme of life--it was a football game. It's not like Lehigh lost $10 million today because we can't go to a bowl game. Sometimes we let our emotions skew our priorities.
Next year's team has an excellent core of starters back on both sides of the ball, and special teams will be obviously better. So tear thy garments, gnash they teeth, and scream to the heavens. It will do you good. The "off with their heads" mentality when your team is winning most of its games?

hawkineer
November 20th, 2005, 01:02 AM
A class operation is an organization the recruits good students who can get into Lehigh in the first place, and still be good players. Not easy in the PL.
A class organization does not get hit with recruiting violatons.
A class organization wins consistently and puts a team on the field that is competitive and battles to the end.
I don't know how old some these posters are, but there was a time when Lehigh was mediocre in the late '80's -early '90's. We were happy to have a winning season and just be competitive. Higgins had one winning season in his first four years. Yes, he then hit a nice wave his last three years, and Lembo was his assoc. head coach during that stretch. Since then we've won 80% of our games, we're competitive when we go out of conference against full scholarship schools. When you are in a very competitive situation with two or three other schools you're going to have close games, and some of them we'll lose.
I graduated in '81. So I have followed the program from the high of 1977 through the lows of the late '80s through the rebirth of the late '90s. I also don't need to be preached to on keeping things in perspective or appreciate what you got because it could be worse.

Your insinuation that Lembo was integral to the '98-'00 teams is "interesting". It's also interesting that "when you are in a very competitive situation with two or three other schools you're going to have close games, and some of them we'll lose". LU was 32-1 from '98-'00. Kinda blows that theory. Try this one on: How many out of conference wins did Higgins have against the power conferences (A-10, Socon, Gateway) from '98-'00? How many has Lembo had the last 4 years?

All PL teams run class programs in regards to student athletes and recruiting violations. I guess my flaw is that I thought the goal of any sports program is to continue to strive for improvement and win championships within the confines of the rules of its institution/league. Since the league accepts an automatic bid to the playoffs ever year, I am guessing that means that the ultimate goal of every PL team is to win a N.C. I thought that this was the goal of the LU program. If it isn't, maybe the PL should adopt the elitest mentality of the Ivies and allow a team that is trying to actually win a N.C go instead.

Bottom Line: My only expectations of Lembo was to continue the trend that Higgins had started. Isn't that the way it is anytime a successor follows a successful predecessor?

colgate13
November 20th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Lehigh: a victim of their own success?

This reminds me of when Ohio State fired their coach because he couldn't beat Michigan. Who was that?

00bluehen
November 20th, 2005, 07:01 AM
John Cooper...the guy before Tressel (now 4-1 against Big Blue).

kardplayer
November 20th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Lehigh: a victim of their own success?

This reminds me of when Ohio State fired their coach because he couldn't beat Michigan. Who was that?

It was John Cooper. Cooper was replaced with Jim Tressel, who promptly went out and won a national championship...

colgate13
November 20th, 2005, 07:16 AM
Yikes, looks like I just gave Lembo the pink slip!

ngineer
November 20th, 2005, 09:59 AM
I graduated in '81. So I have followed the program from the high of 1977 through the lows of the late '80s through the rebirth of the late '90s. I also don't need to be preached to on keeping things in perspective or appreciate what you got because it could be worse.

Your insinuation that Lembo was integral to the '98-'00 teams is "interesting". It's also interesting that "when you are in a very competitive situation with two or three other schools you're going to have close games, and some of them we'll lose". LU was 32-1 from '98-'00. Kinda blows that theory. Try this one on: How many out of conference wins did Higgins have against the power conferences (A-10, Socon, Gateway) from '98-'00? How many has Lembo had the last 4 years?

All PL teams run class programs in regards to student athletes and recruiting violations. I guess my flaw is that I thought the goal of any sports program is to continue to strive for improvement and win championships within the confines of the rules of its institution/league. Since the league accepts an automatic bid to the playoffs ever year, I am guessing that means that the ultimate goal of every PL team is to win a N.C. I thought that this was the goal of the LU program. If it isn't, maybe the PL should adopt the elitest mentality of the Ivies and allow a team that is trying to actually win a N.C go instead.

Bottom Line: My only expectations of Lembo was to continue the trend that Higgins had started. Isn't that the way it is anytime a successor follows a successful predecessor?

I agree that is the 'ultimate goal' of the program, as it is for 100 other schools, and IMO Lehigh's program is getting close. The coaches have been able to recruit more players with the athleticsm needed to make that run, which isn't easy considering the shallower pool we have to compete in due to rising admission requirements. I acknowledged, previously, that there was some questionable play calling--hence my reference to considering a new OC.
We have been very close the past two years (1pt loss to JMU last year that was highly controversial over the penalty on the goal line stand, and this year's 3 plays). Lembo took over this program at the age of 31 (or 32) and has made some mistakes along the way, but that is part of experience or lack of it. Look at Paterno and all his experience--there will be some dips in the road, when battling with everyone else, there will be shifts of power, but to be consistently winning and being in position to win the big games says something. Yes, a number of those games have been losses, but as in yesterday's game, the players failed to execute some critical plays (the blocked punt, the td pass misplayed by the defender, etc.) Those two mistakes don't happen, we're not even having this discussion.

hawkineer
November 20th, 2005, 10:54 AM
[/B]
I agree that is the 'ultimate goal' of the program, as it is for 100 other schools, and IMO Lehigh's program is getting close.
One very simple question - Is LU closer to the 'ultimate goal' today than it was in 1998-2001? If so, the program is moving in the right direction and Lembo deserves the opportunity to continue on. If not, it is fair to question whether it's time for a change. It is really that simple.

Hint: You have been in the tournament to win the tournament. LU made the quarterfinals 3 of 4 years from '98 -'01. Since then, 1 appearance and out in first round.

ngineer
November 20th, 2005, 12:43 PM
I guess that's to be determined by Joe Sterrett. As far as I know each Lehigh coach has a one year contract that is renewed each year--at least it used to be that way as of a few years ago. I don't know if it has changed with the endowment structure.

LUHawker
November 20th, 2005, 01:18 PM
I am no fan of Pete Lembo because of his apparent 'don't play to lose' philosophy, which of course has directly led to several losses. That being said, for those of you who still don't think this falls on Pete's shoulders, then let's bring in a quality OC - former Lehigh alum and current OC for Harvard, Dave Cecchini. I can't imagine that Sterrett would have trouble bringing him back to Bethlehem.

LBPop
November 20th, 2005, 04:23 PM
I don't blame the Lehigh fans for being upset at yesterday's events. I expected the Hawks to win as I'm sure you did. From my perspective, winning this league is unbelievably difficult. And when it comes down to a history making rival game for the championship, there's no way to predict what will happen. I'm glad I got to see everyone play this season and I would offer the following kudos as I look up from PL basement (or near basement)

1) Having to start a third string, freshman running back yet winning the whole thing is an amazing achievement. Congratulations, Raiders.

2) Losing perhaps the #1 offensive player in the league at QB and playing like they did was an excellent job by Lehigh and their Hoya Alumnus Coach. They could have packed it in right then...they didn't. I congratulate the Hawks.

3) Winning in front of that crowd at Goodman with the season on the line and under the pressure of that tradition is an amazing accomplishment. The Leopards should be justifiably proud. When a team improves steadily during a season, the coaches and players deserve a lot of credit. Great job, Lafayette.

Sure, I know nobody cares what an "Old, Newbie Hoya" thinks, but things could be much worse and I wanted to add my perspective. Heck, the poor Hoyas are still able to count their victories on one hand. (So why did I buy the kid that expensive programmed caluculator?) I applaud these three excellent programs using both hands. Hopefully I will have to use both hands to count the Hoya victories in the near future.

blukeys
November 20th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Wow with all the trashing of the Coach and the OC I thought I was on a Delaware message board! ;)

Lehigh puts a quality football team out on the field within the rules of the Patriot League. Lehigh is more than competitive and most years in the hunt for a championship. One really can't ask for more than that. Other teams in the PL also have excellent coaches, good programs and quality players who also want to win. Like most of I-AA the PL is becoming more competitive and so Lehigh's dominance will be more difficult. I think improved PL competition and not shortcomings in the Lehigh program are the reason Lehigh is not in the playoffs.

From what I have seen Lembo is an effective coach. Whether or not he is the best Lehigh can get I have no way of knowing but I can tell you that Lehigh can easily find a whole lot who are worse.

Get over your disappointment and stop by Crapsville and have a drink with the rest of I-AA. You'll feel better. :)

PIRATETIZED1
November 20th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Orig. posted by Lehigh Lover
As a fan who has probably been known to make excuses for Lehigh's misfortunes in the past, I take a different look at things today. It has been a repetitive theme for Lehigh football for the last few years that they have taken two score leads in the 4th quarter only to find a way to lose. I credit this to the coaching staff for playing not to lose instead of going for the gold........

It is very obvious that you are as "passionate" about Lehigh Football as I am of Hampton Football. I think you've stated the situation as you believe exists on campus.

My question to you and others who follow Lehigh Football is where is the Adminstration on this issue. Are they just satisfied with a winning team each year or do they want the "Golden Septor" each year.

IMHO, nothing will happen unless the Administration is "unified" in their thinking.

Am I "off-base" with this 'thought-process'??????

PIRATETIZED :cool:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
HAMPTON UNIVERSITY - “…Of Service To God and Our Nation…”

ngineer
November 20th, 2005, 06:13 PM
[QUOTE=PIRATETIZED1]It is very obvious that you are as "passionate" about Lehigh Football as I am of Hampton Football. I think you've stated the situation as you believe exists on campus.

My question to you and others who follow Lehigh Football is where is the Adminstration on this issue. Are they just satisfied with a winning team each year or do they want the "Golden Septor" each year.

IMHO, nothing will happen unless the Administration is "unified" in their thinking.

Am I "off-base" with this 'thought-process'??????

PIRATETIZED :cool:

Excellent point there. And the answer is...........? Lehigh, as I believe other PL institutions do not make winning national championships a priority. They understand the restrictions the coaches have to operate. But if we can at least be 'in the hunt' and in position to win it then tha's great. We don't pay our coaches enough to attract the 'big name' a lot of people would like to see, hence we're usually stepping stones for those on the trying to move up the coaching feeding chain. The school believes in excellence, but how you define excellence can be variable. Winning the PL title is, to me, the goal since we're competing against like competition within same rules. If we get beyond and play for the NC that is icing. The problem we've been close to tasting the nectar, and some people are getting crazy with the thought of its taste. We've had a lot of success for eight years, now, and Colgate, and now Lafayette, have their programs on a par with ours. We won the 'tough road game' at Colgate this year, but lost the ultimate at home, which is unforgiveable to a lot of LU alums. An outsider will find it hard to understand the depth to which the Lehigh/Lafayette rivalry goes. We definitely seem to be missing something of a killer instinct on offense and Lembo needs to figure out the cause. And if it calls for change of assistants, so be it, but at the same time, you have to have available candidates to come in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
HAMPTON UNIVERSITY - “…Of Service To God and Our Nation…”[/QUOTE
Oops--inserted in the wrong place. bolded my response. hope it enters,

carney2
December 9th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Pete Lembo has the highest winning percentage of any Lehigh football coach - ever! - and he has never won fewer than 8 games. Those of you talking about the greatness of Kevin Higgins - especially when it comes to winning THE Game - just remember that Higgins was up against Bill Russo who, at that point in his career, was phoning it in - and had a bad connection at that.

Summary: There is no serious problem with Lehigh football that needs to be addressed at this time.

Pard94
December 9th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Pete Lembo has the highest winning percentage of any Lehigh football coach - ever! - and he has never won fewer than 8 games. Those of you screeching about the greatness of Kevin Higgins - especially when it comes to winning THE Game - just remenber that Higgins was up against Bill Russo who, at that point in his career, was phoning it in - and had a bad connection at that.

Summary: There is no serious problem with Lehigh football that needs to be addressed at this time.

Other than the fact that Lafayette consistently beats them. merry christmas.

ngineer
December 10th, 2005, 12:21 AM
Other than the fact that Lafayette consistently beats them. merry christmas.

In five years the record is 2-3. I don't know how consistency is measured. I will give you this, do it again next year, and I'll agree LC is in his head. I really don't see LU's program falling, LC's has caught up. At the level we're at in the PL, and the limitations to which schools can recruit I'm not sure how much of a higher level can be reached...

LBPop
December 10th, 2005, 09:27 AM
As an interested outsider I would suggest that rivalry games are always a bit of a crap shoot and don't necessarily decide who is the better team. I suspect most I-AA schools would love a traditional rivalry that would approach the Lehigh/Lafayette game each year. I'm sure Georgetown would. However, it does come with a price and in the PL that can often be the league championship.

Lehigh has nothing to be ashamed of. One funny bounce in an emotionally charged setting can totally change a season. IMO, it doesn't make the loser a failure. I admire the Lehigh program and the job Lembo has done. Having said that, this is the second year straight that it appears the Leopards have improved substantially during the season. That's impressive as well.

Leopard's Claw
December 10th, 2005, 09:33 AM
:rolleyes:
In five years the record is 2-3. I don't know how consistency is measured. I will give you this, do it again next year, and I'll agree LC is in his head. I really don't see LU's program falling, LC's has caught up. At the level we're at in the PL, and the limitations to which schools can recruit I'm not sure how much of a higher level can be reached...

Perspectives are often jaded through the lens of the presenter....
for clarity's sake:
2005: LC 23 LU 19
2004: LC 24 LU 10
2003: LC 10, LU 30
2002: LC 14, LU 7 (Goalposts 0)
2001: LC 6, LU 41

Merry Christmas

ngineer
December 10th, 2005, 09:35 AM
:rolleyes:

Perspectives are often jaded through the lens of the presenter....
for clarity's sake:
2005: LC 23 LU 19
2004: LC 24 LU 10
2003: LC 10, LU 30
2002: LC 14, LU 7 (Goalposts 0)
2001: LC 6, LU 41

Merry Christmas

What's the point. I said Lehigh is 2-3 over the past five years. I believe that's what your list reveals... :confused: