PDA

View Full Version : So who will get the Patriot 'Kiss of Death' this Year?

ngineer
January 3rd, 2009, 08:32 AM
Long way out, but seeing some other threads looking 'longingly' over the horizon to August, made me wonder who will be the Patriot pre-season #1. It is my recall that a pre-season #1 has not achieved that ranking in about 8 years (Lehigh in 2000?) I could be wrong, but it seem like a long time since the preason favorite lived up to expectations. Fordham surely got blessed last year.

It would seem that Colgate, as defending champ and some good nucleus returning would have the inside track, although Holy Cross with Randolph getting a 5th year could derail that position. After that I would see Lehigh, Lafayette, Bucknell, Fordham and Georgetown; but, as usual, not enough separation to make any other scenario surprising. Except for Georgetown, I think 1-6 all have enough talent that on 'any given Saturday', with a break here and there, they could pull off the win against another league foe.

paward
January 3rd, 2009, 11:13 AM
I will go with Holy Cross.

TheValleyRaider
January 3rd, 2009, 12:11 PM
The Holy Cross Randolphs xnodx

Do not pick Colgate. 4 of our 5 O-Linemen graduated. Scott's gone. The defense wasn't very good. We got blown out in the playoffs. No way Colgate is preseason #1 xsmiley_wix

DFW HOYA
January 3rd, 2009, 04:31 PM
Except for Georgetown, I think 1-6 all have enough talent that on 'any given Saturday', with a break here and there, they could pull off the win against another league foe.

Put another way, which team(s) can Georgetown pull off the win against?

(That's 1-16 in the PL in the last three years.)

Go...gate
January 3rd, 2009, 06:49 PM
The Holy Cross Randolphs xnodx

Do not pick Colgate. 4 of our 5 O-Linemen graduated. Scott's gone. The defense wasn't very good. We got blown out in the playoffs. No way Colgate is preseason #1 xsmiley_wix

We're a disgrace to the rest of the league. No way you can pick us. We just suck. Moreover, we can't play football unless it is minus 20 outside with five feet of snow piled up on the Permafrost. Let's just forget about last year - it was a total fluke, we paid off the referees before and after each game, poisoned the whole Georgetown campus so we got an extra week off, and just all-out backed into the title. The NCAA should conduct an investigation. xsmiley_wix ;)

In all seriousness, Holy Cross, Lehigh or Lafayette are the favorites.

paward
January 3rd, 2009, 09:55 PM

I hope that I am wrong because I like the hoyas, but at the end of next season you will be 1-whatever you play in league.

HoyaMetanoia
January 3rd, 2009, 11:00 PM
I hope that I am wrong because I like the hoyas, but at the end of next season you will be 1-whatever you play in league.

You keep talking like that, and we'll remember it. You better watch your mouth, Spidey-fan, because we don't take comments like that lightly. Keep talking like that and it might motivate us to maybe score a FG this year against you guys.

ngineer
January 3rd, 2009, 11:23 PM

It's possible with some breaks. The Hoyas have come close a few times over the past years, where a turnover or two could have resulted in a win. But in pure physicality, it's hard to pick one. I do remember that great game against Colgate a few years back--it actually may have been the year the Raiders went to the NC game (or the year before) when CU escaped with a one point win? So "it" can happen.

carney2
January 4th, 2009, 10:14 AM
At this point I don't like anybody very much.

colorless raider
January 4th, 2009, 12:06 PM
It's possible with some breaks. The Hoyas have come close a few times over the past years, where a turnover or two could have resulted in a win. But in pure physicality, it's hard to pick one. I do remember that great game against Colgate a few years back--it actually may have been the year the Raiders went to the NC game (or the year before) when CU escaped with a one point win? So "it" can happen.

It was the championship year that we beat the hoyas in the last ten seconds. branch did not play that game but it was a great game. G'town had more talent then.

colorless raider
January 4th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Having seen Randolph in action two years running it is hard not to pick Holy Cross although the Red Red Raiders will be pretty good.

DFW HOYA
January 4th, 2009, 02:30 PM
It was the championship year that we beat the hoyas in the last ten seconds. branch did not play that game but it was a great game. G'town had more talent then.

2003 was the last season Joe Moorhead, now the OC at Akron, was the offensive coordinator. His successors have finished at or near the bottom of the subdivision in scoring, and you aren't going to win a lot of games with anyone scoring nine points a game.

2003 (Joe Moorhead): 271 points
2004: (Elliott Uzelac): 174 points
2005: (Elliott Uzelac): 110 points
2006: (Jim Miceli): 164 points
2007: (Jim Miceli): 166 points
2008: (Jim Miceli): 96 points

LBPop
January 5th, 2009, 01:20 PM
You know, I'm getting real tired of these one or two win seasons. If the Hoyas are gonna be bad, then they should do a better job of it. I suggest that they hire Matt Millen. He has proven that he is far better at this losing thing than even the current Georgetown brain trust.

Millen could be a personnel/recruiting consultant. His first official act would be to recruit about nine wide-outs to go with the Hoyas' seven QBs. I hear he's really good at collecting wide receivers. Then after a couple of "0-fer" seasons at Georgetown, he would be qualified to do expert analysis on the FCS playoff telecasts. Whad'ya think?

ngineer
January 5th, 2009, 04:27 PM
At this point I don't like anybody very much.

Hey! Well same to you buck-o! :p ;) :D

ngineer
January 5th, 2009, 04:31 PM
You know, I'm getting real tired of these one or two win seasons. If the Hoyas are gonna be bad, then they should do a better job of it. I suggest that they hire Matt Millen. He has proven that he is far better at this losing thing than even the current Georgetown brain trust.

Millen could be a personnel/recruiting consultant. His first official act would be to recruit about nine wide-outs to go with the Hoyas' seven QBs. I hear he's really good at collecting wide receivers. Then after a couple of "0-fer" seasons at Georgetown, he would be qualified to do expert analysis on the FCS playoff telecasts. Whad'ya think?

Matt is where he belongs. I don't know why he ever thought he could step into the administrative arena of the NFL. Just having a 'name' doesn't cut it.

colorless raider
January 5th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Matt is where he belongs. I don't know why he ever thought he could step into the administrative arena of the NFL. Just having a 'name' doesn't cut it.

You should have told Higgens that and saved three years of his life and Lehigh would have been better off as well.:D

HoyaMetanoia
January 5th, 2009, 05:23 PM
2003 was the last season Joe Moorhead, now the OC at Akron, was the offensive coordinator. His successors have finished at or near the bottom of the subdivision in scoring, and you aren't going to win a lot of games with anyone scoring nine points a game.

And Miceli STILL has a job, along with all of the other offensive coaches.

HoyaMetanoia
December 22nd, 2009, 06:10 PM

Oh how this has come full circle. xlolx

jimbo65
December 23rd, 2009, 06:02 AM

Is this the same Moorhead who was QB at Fordham. As I recall, a tall left hander. If, so, he certainly should have known how to develop a passing attack.

ngineer
December 23rd, 2009, 06:33 PM
Oh how this has come full circle. xlolx

Amazing how you can resurrect a thread from 11 months ago!xeekxxrotatehx