PDA

View Full Version : Another Major FBS QB Transfer to SLC?

TexasTerror
January 2nd, 2009, 03:27 PM
First I heard about this. Comes from Dandy Don, who covers LSU. SLC schools are apparently the destination for Nathan Dick (Arkansas) and there's a few other names out there as well...
-----------------
As for Spring practice, I would think Jordan Jefferson will be No.1 on the depth chart going into to Spring practice, but that does not necessarily mean he will be number one at the end of Spring practice. Jarrett Lee will most likely start out as No. 2 and Andrew Hatch as No. 3. Russell Sheppard and Chris Garrett will be No. 4 and No. 5, in my opinion. There is talk that Jarrett Lee will be transferring to a 1-AA school, most likely SFA or McNeese.

http://www.dandydon.com/

AppAlum2003
January 2nd, 2009, 03:42 PM
First I heard about this. Comes from Dandy Don, who covers LSU. SLC schools are apparently the destination for Nathan Dick (Arkansas) and there's a few other names out there as well...
-----------------
As for Spring practice, I would think Jordan Jefferson will be No.1 on the depth chart going into to Spring practice, but that does not necessarily mean he will be number one at the end of Spring practice. Jarrett Lee will most likely start out as No. 2 and Andrew Hatch as No. 3. Russell Sheppard and Chris Garrett will be No. 4 and No. 5, in my opinion. There is talk that Jarrett Lee will be transferring to a 1-AA school, most likely SFA or McNeese.

http://www.dandydon.com/

IMO, the NCAA is doing a disservice to the FCS by allowing FBS players to transfer in without sitting out a year. FCS coaches spend all off-season recruiting and forming their teams with high school kids. Then, because some whiney wanna-be that has been handed everything his entire life cries about PT, it suddenly gives an FCS team that couldn't get it done by recruiting alone a BIG leg up.

Besides, it gives FCS a "JV" stigma. It tells the world that these FBS players can't go to other FBS schools (without sitting) because it would be unfair. However, if they'd like to go play in the minor leagues, that's fine.

MplsBison
January 2nd, 2009, 04:19 PM
IMO, the NCAA is doing a disservice to the FCS by allowing FBS players to transfer in without sitting out a year. FCS coaches spend all off-season recruiting and forming their teams with high school kids. Then, because some whiney wanna-be that has been handed everything his entire life cries about PT, it suddenly gives an FCS team that couldn't get it done by recruiting alone a BIG leg up.

Besides, it gives FCS a "JV" stigma. It tells the world that these FBS players can't go to other FBS schools (without sitting) because it would be unfair. However, if they'd like to go play in the minor leagues, that's fine.

I'd like to see the rule changed to sitting out a year for any transfer, any sport. between any two divisions.

Ideally, more student athletes should try and make it work at the school they originally went to.

UncleSam
January 2nd, 2009, 04:46 PM
Then, because some whiney wanna-be that has been handed everything his IMO, the NCAA is doing a disservice to the FCS by allowing FBS players to transfer in without sitting out a year. FCS coaches spend all off-seasonentire life cries about PT, it suddenly gives an FCS team that couldn't get it done by recruiting alone a BIG leg up.

As long as the FBS transfers are academically qualified and aren't carrying some form of 'baggage' from their former FBS school, they should be considered a positive, not a negative for the FCS.

Speaking of 'whining', there seems to be some of it going on right here. xrolleyesx

rudy1648
January 2nd, 2009, 05:06 PM

I agree to some extent. It seems like some teams (cough UD) build a team around transfers. From looking at some message boards, the fans are just waiting to hear who transferred in during the school year to know who will be playing for them next year. Transfers are a good thing for kids who have lots of potential but for some reason or another were never given the time at the FBS school they selected, usually because of promises some coach made when trying to fill out the scholarship list. You know that every kid given a scholarship is not going to play every minute like he is promised.

JohnStOnge
January 2nd, 2009, 06:38 PM
I like the rule the way it is. I think it elevates the FCS talent level.

Libertine
January 2nd, 2009, 09:05 PM
I'd like to see the rule changed to sitting out a year for any transfer, any sport. between any two divisions.

Ideally, more student athletes should try and make it work at the school they originally went to.

If coaches can jump around from school to school, why can't the students? The difference is that college kids only have four years to play and that's it. If the player ends up in a lousy situation after the first couple years, he needs to have the opportunity to make the move that works best for him. I say, let 'em play!

AppAlum2003
January 2nd, 2009, 09:16 PM
If coaches can jump around from school to school, why can't the students? The difference is that college kids only have four years to play and that's it. If the player ends up in a lousy situation after the first couple years, he needs to have the opportunity to make the move that works best for him. I say, let 'em play!

There's a big difference: Coaches are paid professionals. In MOST cases, players are not. :D

Lionsrking
January 2nd, 2009, 10:17 PM

I think the rule is fine the way it is...most kids aren't looking to transfer down unless it's for a better chance for playing time...obviously the better funded, higher profile FCS teams have better chances to land the premium transfers but that's all a part of it...but I don't think a kid should be penalized because he wants to transfer somewhere where he can get on the field...I understand the reasoning behind not allowing lateral transfers, because it could result in mass transfers and illegal recruiting, but only a handful of kids transfer down every year in the grand scheme of things.

McTailGator
January 2nd, 2009, 10:17 PM

IF

Lee comes to McNeese he will NOT be the starter.

Derrick Foureaux will be a 5th year Senior who has been the starter since midway through his Freshman year.

Lee will have plenty of time to sit, learn, and chill before becoming a starter at McNeese. Unless god forbid Derrick were to get injured, but I don't want to go there at all.

Lee attended 2 McNeese games in 08 and 2 of his best friends from high school are McNeese Cowboys.

GeauxLions94
January 2nd, 2009, 11:24 PM
IF

Derrick Foureaux will be a 5th year Senior who has been the starter since midway through his Freshman year.

Lee will have plenty of time to sit, learn, and chill before becoming a starter at McNeese. Unless god forbid Derrick were to get injured, but I don't want to go there at all.

Lee attended 2 McNeese games in 08 and 2 of his best friends from high school are McNeese Cowboys.

Agreed. Lee would not start IF he went to McNeese in 2009 due to the prescence of Fourroux. I wouldn't be shocked to see him in Huntsville since Bomar is gone

As long as Les Miles is at LSU, don't look for many transfers heading to in-state schools (Ryan Perrilloux to Jax State, Max Holmes to SFA are two notable ones from the last year).

If any folks leave LSU for an in-state school, I would think Northwestern State could get first (and only dibs) since BDP is now head coach.

Lionsrking
January 2nd, 2009, 11:28 PM
If any folks leave LSU for an in-state school, I would think Northwestern State could get first (and only dibs) since BDP is now head coach.

That's fine as long the transferring players want to play for Peveto, but if that's the only in-state school Miles releases them to, you're talking about a major can of worms being opened up.

AppAlum2003
January 3rd, 2009, 11:35 AM
IF

So, in essence, we're committing an entire thread to a backup QB... cool. :D

813Jag
January 3rd, 2009, 11:54 AM
That's fine as long the transferring players want to play for Peveto, but if that's the only in-state school Miles releases them to, you're talking about a major can of worms being opened up.
that can of worms has been open. there's a reason why there are no more tranfers from LSU to Southern.

MplsBison
January 3rd, 2009, 12:11 PM

Because for players college is about education. That's it, the end.

If the school truly is not providing the education that the athlete needs, then I strongly encourage him to transfer to a different educational situation.

But he should have to sit out a year before being allowed to compete for the new school's team. He can still practice, etc., just not play.

ChickenMan
January 3rd, 2009, 12:33 PM
Because for some players college is about education.

corrected it for you... ;)

mikebigg
January 3rd, 2009, 01:02 PM
They can keep their qb's...now if they some of those DT's want to transfer to Gram, we could use some of them. There db's they can keep... not impressed AT ALL!

Oh and Richard Murphy and the rest of the kids signed from Rayville High (about 60 miles East of Gram on I-20) would be welcome to transfer.xthumbsupx

slycat
January 3rd, 2009, 04:28 PM
IF

What year is SFAs QB? They may not want him either.

TexasTerror
January 3rd, 2009, 04:51 PM
What year is SFAs QB? They may not want him either.

He will be a junior next year.

JohnStOnge
January 3rd, 2009, 04:58 PM

Only for one year. I continue to think Lee has tremendous potential and would not at all mind seeing him end up at McNeese.

Remember, Lee was a redshirt freshman at LSU. He'd be a sophmore next year.

BEAR
January 3rd, 2009, 04:58 PM
You know what I like about Arkansas universities.....they have QBs right out of high school that play great football. So do other states, but living here I tend to hear so much about really good qbs from Arkansas. Brown was straight out of high school, Daniels of Missouri, Clark from Fayetteville I believe, ..the list goes on and on. (Sarcasm here folks, my point is people make way too much of transfers. I'd rather have a decent team with a high school kid than listen to all the accolades poured on a transfer that takes you nowhere. ) xthumbsupx

....by the way SHSU and Texas State fans, I just tease on these boards, don't take it as a slam on your university.....unless it's true.

Let's just say I'm alot like this guy...

http://www.housemd-guide.com/images_new/xmaspix.jpg

McNeese75
January 3rd, 2009, 11:06 PM
You know what I like about Arkansas universities.....they have QBs right out of high school that play great football. So do other states, but living here I tend to hear so much about really good qbs from Arkansas. Brown was straight out of high school, Daniels of Missouri, Clark from Fayetteville I believe, ..the list goes on and on. (Sarcasm here folks, my point is people make way too much of transfers. I'd rather have a decent team with a high school kid than listen to all the accolades poured on a transfer that takes you nowhere. ) xthumbsupx

....by the way SHSU and Texas State fans, I just tease on these boards, don't take it as a slam on your university.....unless it's true.

Let's just say I'm alot like this guy...

http://www.housemd-guide.com/images_new/xmaspix.jpg

xconfusedx You walk with a cane???? xlolx

BEAR
January 3rd, 2009, 11:27 PM
xconfusedx You walk with a cane???? xlolx

......and have a need for vvvvvvvvv....vvvvvvvvvvvv....vica....um...nevermin d.xlolx

Lionsrking
January 4th, 2009, 12:49 AM
that can of worms has been open. there's a reason why there are no more tranfers from LSU to Southern.

Actually the can hasn't opened yet...LSU's policy as of the last couple of years has been to not release anyone to in-state FCS programs...Southern has a lot to do with that, due to the flood of guys that transferred across town a few years back, but the APR has more to do with it than anything...the less convenient they make it for kids to transfer, the more likely it is they'll stay and ride it out at LSU...there will always be one or two they run off, but what they don't want happening is for four or five others to follow suit...eventually that would put a ding on their APR, especially if they're ineligible when they leave.

The only player from LSU to transfer to an in-state FCS over the last two or three years was Tyson Andrus to Nicholls but he was an unrecruited walk-on at LSU and didn't count against their 85 limit, thus no APR hit.

jaysix
January 4th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Chase Daniel from Mizzou went to Southlake Carroll, Dallas area. And the other Chase is a hometown boy from Columbia. But I get your point.

McTailGator
January 4th, 2009, 08:22 AM

McNeese is one school that does NOT and will not hang it's hat on transfers.

We believe that a good Redshirt program is the way to go.

Of course that is also why we have VERY down years every 5th year. :(

If a school is looking for a transfer to come in an start, than they need to evaluate their ability to recruit good players in HS.

Also, regarding being the back up QB at McNeese...

For the past 10 years or so, the back up QB typically comes in on the 5th series of the 1st and 2nd half of every game regardless of the score or field position. So it is not like the 2nd string guy does not get a chance to play.

McTailGator
January 4th, 2009, 08:23 AM

THAT same reason is why there are no transfers from LSU to ANY state school.

McTailGator
January 4th, 2009, 08:25 AM
They can keep their qb's...now if they some of those DT's want to transfer to Gram, we could use some of them. There db's they can keep... not impressed AT ALL!

Oh and Richard Murphy and the rest of the kids signed from Rayville High (about 60 miles East of Gram on I-20) would be welcome to transfer.xthumbsupx

DT's are hard to find PERIOD.

It turns out Big Fat kids that can move off the line and stop a train can't spell Cat. xsmiley_wix

McTailGator
January 4th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Only for one year. I continue to think Lee has tremendous potential and would not at all mind seeing him end up at McNeese.

Remember, Lee was a redshirt freshman at LSU. He'd be a sophmore next year.

And don't forget that at McNeese the back up QB always plays the 5th series in both the 1st and 2nd halves. So it's not like he would not play.

813Jag
January 4th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Actually the can hasn't opened yet...LSU's policy as of the last couple of years has been to not release anyone to in-state FCS programs...Southern has a lot to do with that, due to the flood of guys that transferred across town a few years back, but the APR has more to do with it than anything...the less convenient they make it for kids to transfer, the more likely it is they'll stay and ride it out at LSU...there will always be one or two they run off, but what they don't want happening is for four or five others to follow suit...eventually that would put a ding on their APR, especially if they're ineligible when they leave.

The only player from LSU to transfer to an in-state FCS over the last two or three years was Tyson Andrus to Nicholls but he was an unrecruited walk-on at LSU and didn't count against their 85 limit, thus no APR hit.
most of the kids Southern got from LSU was in the late 90's early 2000's. They actually haven't been getting many transfers in the last 5 years or so.

appstate1998
January 4th, 2009, 09:12 AM
I didn't read all 4 pages so I may be repeating, but I know if it were me or my kid and they had an opportunity to play somewhere else instead of being stuck in a situation they are unahppy with I would want that to happen. I mean what's the difference between someone transferring schools academically? Should they be required to sit out a year before attending class?

McTailGator
January 4th, 2009, 10:29 AM
I didn't read all 4 pages so I may be repeating, but I know if it were me or my kid and they had an opportunity to play somewhere else instead of being stuck in a situation they are unahppy with I would want that to happen. I mean what's the difference between someone transferring schools academically? Should they be required to sit out a year before attending class?

Regarding tranfers and the kind of press you don't want...

Block on Marve transfer out of bounds By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports Jan 2, 6:49 pm EST

Robert Marve found out this week he was never anything more than a mercenary, just a pair of swift legs with a strong arm brought to the University of Miami to win games. It’s how it is in most college football programs.

He once thought otherwise. It’s easy to get confused.

College football players are called “student athletes” after all. The NCAA spends tens of millions on a public relations campaign that stresses the games are a tool for kind-hearted coaches to take “kids” and mold them into “men” who then go “pro in something other than sports.”

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-marve010308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

McNeese75
January 4th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Chase Daniel from Mizzou went to Southlake Carroll, Dallas area. And the other Chase is a hometown boy from Columbia. But I get your point.

I thought that was the case but was too lazy to try and confirm it. :)