PDA

View Full Version : To which FCS team will QB Robert Marve go?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 30th, 2008, 11:04 PM
http://www.mcall.com/sports/sns-ap-fbc-miami-marve-transferring,0,6907121.story

CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP) — Quarterback Robert Marve is leaving Miami, ending weeks of speculation about his future and adding to the tumultuous start of the Hurricanes' offseason.

Marve started 11 of 13 games for the Hurricanes, but also served two suspensions, including one that kept him out of the Emerald Bowl. He asked coach Randy Shannon for his release Monday night, and the school announced that Marve was leaving Tuesday.

OK, so where will he go?

93henfan
December 30th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Delaware needs a backup.:p

LehighFan11
December 30th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I'm very interested as to how you selected those teams? But, sounds like he won't go FCS.

FCS Go!
December 30th, 2008, 11:23 PM
If he can get out of the restrictions laid on him he'll go to a FL FBS school. Otherwise I'd bet on a Big East, CUSA, MAC or even Sun Belt. He doesn't seem like a drop down kid to me.

nwFL Griz
December 30th, 2008, 11:23 PM
None of those. Apparently he is still lobbying Coach Shannon to ease up on the restrictions on his release. However, if Shannon sticks to his guns and Marve can't go to any ACC, SEC, or FL school, I would look for him to try a Pac-10 program....likely UCLA.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 30th, 2008, 11:25 PM
How about Kansas State? Bill Snyder loves transfers and he would be a good catch.

GATA
December 31st, 2008, 01:19 AM
Robert Marve is terrible...Have you ever watched him play? I don't think anybody really even wants him. I doubt Miami is torn up that he's leaving. Jacory Harris was pretty much better than him in every way. GSU has 3 guys on the roster right now that are better than Robert Marve and I'm pretty sure most FCS teams have at least 2 guys better than him...

Miami got lucky he left so they didn't have to kick him off the team.

LehighFan11
December 31st, 2008, 07:04 AM
Robert Marve is terrible...Have you ever watched him play? I don't think anybody really even wants him. I doubt Miami is torn up that he's leaving. Jacory Harris was pretty much better than him in every way. GSU has 3 guys on the roster right now that are better than Robert Marve and I'm pretty sure most FCS teams have at least 2 guys better than him...

I'm not sure I agree with that. This kid is no superstar by any imagination, but as a Canes fan I'm not happy to see him leave yet. I'm not ready to put all of my eggs into the Jacory Harris basket just yet. Another year of competition could of yielded a better Marve or Harris for the 2010 season.

813Jag
December 31st, 2008, 07:15 AM
1. The kid isn't a bad QB, Harris was more advanced coming out of high school because of the freedom his coach gave him. For a first year starter Marve didn't do horribly. I've seen much worse, trust me.

2. He wants to transfer to USF (hometown school) or LSU. Hence the reason he won't be released to any of those schools.
3. He still has lots of growing up to do, this could be the kick in the pants he needs. Steven Garcia went through the same thing at South Carolina.

Another thing to remember, coming out of high school he was going to Alabama, but changed his mind when he clashed with Saban. I saw the kid around town quite a few times before the end of the season.

Here's an article (http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/dec/31/sp-marve-saga-comes-to-end/sports-colleges/) from the Tampa Tribune.

JMU Newbill
December 31st, 2008, 07:26 AM
Add the option to the poll so I can vote for "not going to an FCS school", and I will vote.

SunCoastBlueHen
December 31st, 2008, 07:33 AM
1. The kid isn't a bad QB, Harris was more advanced coming out of high school because of the freedom his coach gave him. For a first year starter Marve didn't do horribly. I've seen much worse, trust me.

2. He wants to transfer to USF (hometown school) or LSU. Hence the reason he won't be released to any of those schools.
3. He still has lots of growing up to do, this could be the kick in the pants he needs. Steven Garcia went through the same thing at South Carolina.

Another thing to remember, coming out of high school he was going to Alabama, but changed his mind when he clashed with Saban. I saw the kid around town quite a few times before the end of the season.

Here's an article (http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/dec/31/sp-marve-saga-comes-to-end/sports-colleges/) from the Tampa Tribune.

813Jag is much more of an expert on local HS football than I, but it seems to me the Plant HS has an offensive system that allows QBs to thrive and gives the impression that the guy under center is actually better than his natural abilities. It seems no matter who Plant puts in at QB they look like superstars. There original stater this year was (I forget his name) was highly touted and when he went down with a leg injury a Sophomore filled in and also looked very good.

For that reason, I think Marve may have been overrated coming out of HS.

nwFL Griz
December 31st, 2008, 07:37 AM

You sir, are a horrible judge of talent if you think Marve is terrible. I watched every Canes game this year, except for the UCF game, and I could make the case that he was better than Jacory. The two QB thing is probably the worst idea I've ever heard of, and neither guy could really get a rythym going and both kept making the same freshman mistakes.

I am not glad to see Marve go, but I wish him the best.

813Jag
December 31st, 2008, 07:41 AM
You sir, are a horrible judge of talent if you think Marve is terrible. I watched every Canes game this year, except for the UCF game, and I could make the case that he was better than Jacory. The two QB thing is probably the worst idea I've ever heard of, and neither guy could really get a rythym going and both kept making the same freshman mistakes.

I've watched him play since 10th grade, he is by no means a bad QB. His first year starting his team was 2-8, then 7-3, and his senior year he set state records leading his team to a state title.

813Jag
December 31st, 2008, 07:45 AM
813Jag is much more of an expert on local HS football than I, but it seems to me the Plant HS has an offensive system that allows QBs to thrive and gives the impression that the guy under center is actually better than his natural abilities. It seems no matter who Plant puts in at QB they look like superstars. There original stater this year was (I forget his name) was highly touted and when he went down with a leg injury a Sophomore filled in and also looked very good.

For that reason, I think Marve may have been overrated coming out of HS.
I agree Plant's system is great, but I don't take much away from any of their QBs. They make plays with their feet, buying time to make passes. Marve and Murray are great runners. Ely (the sophomore will be another good one). They believe in 7 on 7, they travel the country playing tourneys.

I-AA Fan
December 31st, 2008, 08:54 AM
He will be going to Florida, unless they object to in state/conference schools, which I assume they will. If so ...he will go to UT or Alabama. Maybe LSU if they do not object to the SEC. This kid is for real ...not going I-AA/FCS. UT makes the most sense ...they need him & he has not had a red shirt.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 31st, 2008, 09:04 AM
Or he could go to UMass and play right away.

813Jag
December 31st, 2008, 09:08 AM
He will be going to Florida, unless they object to in state/conference schools, which I assume they will. If so ...he will go to UT or Alabama. Maybe LSU if they do not object to the SEC. This kid is for real ...not going I-AA/FCS. UT makes the most sense ...they need him & he has not had a red shirt.
Shannon said no to SEC, ACC, or instate schools.
Marve redshirted last year after his car accident.

appfan2008
December 31st, 2008, 09:43 AM
still dont know how those schools were chosen?

813Jag
December 31st, 2008, 09:51 AM
Thestory continues, now Marve's high school coach has gotten in the act (http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/colleges/um/story/832267.html) blasting Coach Shannon. Even going as far as saying his top recruit Tight End won't be attending the U.

LehighFan11
December 31st, 2008, 09:58 AM
Thestory continues, now Marve's high school coach has gotten in the act (http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/colleges/um/story/832267.html) blasting Coach Shannon. Even going as far as saying his top recruit Tight End won't be attending the U.

That article is very funny. A high school coach ripping the Head Coach at a top Division I school. xlolx

jaysix
December 31st, 2008, 10:09 AM
Does his dad have anything to do with it? I thought the school restrictions were in large part due to his pops shopping him around to other programs during the season.

nwFL Griz
December 31st, 2008, 10:11 AM
Does his dad have anything to do with it? I thought the school restrictions were in large part due to his pops shopping him around to other programs during the season.

That is exactly why the restrictions were made. This kids dad is going to make his life a lot harder, unless he lets go and lets his son handle his own affairs.

813Jag
December 31st, 2008, 10:34 AM
That article is very funny. A high school coach ripping the Head Coach at a top Division I school. xlolx
You have to know the Plant program to truly understand how ironic his rant is. xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
December 31st, 2008, 11:49 AM
still dont know how those schools were chosen?

I picked a variety of schools with immediate needs at QB. I think all of them have graduating QBs. I didn't include Delaware since they are getting Develin, but Montana's Bergquist is a senior, UMass' Coen is a senior... I also included some regional schools as a possibility, too - that's why G-W and Chuck South are there. Nearly chose Liberty too, but that didn't seem like a good fit.

nwFL Griz
December 31st, 2008, 12:37 PM
I picked a variety of schools with immediate needs at QB. I think all of them have graduating QBs. I didn't include Delaware since they are getting Develin, but Montana's Bergquist is a senior, UMass' Coen is a senior... I also included some regional schools as a possibility, too - that's why G-W and Chuck South are there. Nearly chose Liberty too, but that didn't seem like a good fit.

Bergquist is graduating, but the Griz are going to be set at QB, Kemp will be a stud.

jmufan999
December 31st, 2008, 12:41 PM
how on earth did you come up with those schools? do you really think a kid is going to go from hanging out on south beach to missoula? come on. before you get all pissy, i have no illusions he'd want to live in harrisonburg, either. such a random list of schools, though.

Eaglegus2
December 31st, 2008, 12:51 PM

This is really funny!!!!xnodx xlolx xlolx xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

Lehigh Football Nation
December 31st, 2008, 12:52 PM
how on earth did you come up with those schools? do you really think a kid is going to go from hanging out on south beach to missoula? come on. before you get all pissy, i have no illusions he'd want to live in harrisonburg, either. such a random list of schools, though.

If he wants to play next year, he could play in Missoula for a team that made it to the FCS championship. If he waits to play for an FBS school, he'll be doing an awful lot of sitting.

TSUalum05
December 31st, 2008, 01:44 PM
Marve redshirted last year after his car accident.

Even if he gets a release - wouldn't he have to sit out a year if he goes to a FBS. Meaning he'd loose a year having to redshirt at an FBS school. The QB who transfered from U. Arkansas to USC had to redshirt.

nwFL Griz
December 31st, 2008, 02:43 PM
Even if he gets a release - wouldn't he have to sit out a year if he goes to a FBS. Meaning he'd loose a year having to redshirt at an FBS school. The QB who transfered from U. Arkansas to USC had to redshirt.

You are confusing two things. Transferring between FBS schools requires the athlete to sit out a year and thus loses one year of eligibility. Redshirting allows the student athlete to sit out yet retain that year of eligibility.

Marve already redshirted. So when he transfers, if to an FBS he will have to sit out a year and will have two years of eligibility left, barring any medical stuff (but that's a different story).

jstclmet
December 31st, 2008, 02:50 PM
According to Lou Holtz, Maarve was academically ineligible to play in the Canes Bowl game. He may need to sit a year to get his grades right whereever he goes.

Oh, and no need to exclude UD from the list of buyers. In for a penny, in for a pound. Competition at any position, and especially @ QB is a good thing, riight???? xlolx

BEAR
December 31st, 2008, 05:06 PM
He'll go to SHSU and have a horrible career...because Bomar did it and he's getting drafted anyway. :)

TexasTerror
December 31st, 2008, 05:53 PM
He'll go to SHSU and have a horrible career...because Bomar did it and he's getting drafted anyway. :)

This gets old... xcoffeex

Bomar did not have a horrible career. He had one of the best, if not the best career for a SHSU QB in terms of individual performance. The team's offense was one of the best in FCS. The defense and special teams ended up costing the team games and kept the team out of the playoffs.

JMU DUUUKES LAW
December 31st, 2008, 06:45 PM
Yea echoing whats already been said. Marve isn't goin to an FCS school. Plus, yall don't want him. Going to every Miami game this year I know this. Throws twice as many INT's as TD's.

GATA
December 31st, 2008, 08:37 PM

I'm telling you...I know garbage when I see it. Marve may not be "terrible," but he's not worth any of the press he's getting. The guy is an average QB on his BEST day. He'll never be worth anything no matter what school he goes to. He's an overhyped baby who runs away when things get tough. The worst part about it is that he has enablers like his coach and daddy egging him on. The canes are better off without his sorry attitude.

MARK IT DOWN. Robert Marve won't accomplish ANYTHING worth mentioning as a college football player. He's soft.

TSUalum05
December 31st, 2008, 08:40 PM
You are confusing two things. Transferring between FBS schools requires the athlete to sit out a year and thus loses one year of eligibility. Redshirting allows the student athlete to sit out yet retain that year of eligibility.

Marve already redshirted. So when he transfers, if to an FBS he will have to sit out a year and will have two years of eligibility left, barring any medical stuff (but that's a different story).

I used the wrong terminology but I meant the same thing. Thanks

caribbeanhen
January 2nd, 2009, 09:18 PM

I am sure Delaware does not...until we get Devlin anyway

813Jag
January 3rd, 2009, 11:59 AM
Miami relaxes SEC transfer restrictions on Marve, but he still can't go to UF, Tenn. or LSU. He also can't go to any state school. Also his dad stated one of the reasons he's leaving is because he (the father) has cancer.

JMG1MON
January 4th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I would think his first choice is USF (hometown school) but he is not allowed to transfer there. If he doesn't go to an SEC school, look for Cincinnati to possibly get him!! He will not go FCS!!!

JMU DUUUKES LAW
January 4th, 2009, 02:24 PM
(insert Delaware joke here)

EmeryZach
January 4th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Or he could go to UMass and play right away.

I like that idea.

slycat
January 4th, 2009, 06:17 PM
This gets old... xcoffeex

Bomar did not have a horrible career. He had one of the best, if not the best career for a SHSU QB in terms of individual performance. The team's offense was one of the best in FCS. The defense and special teams ended up costing the team games and kept the team out of the playoffs.

About as old as every time you bash Texas St. xcoffeex

Lehigh Football Nation
January 5th, 2009, 09:41 AM
If he wants to play super-local he could play at Bethune Cookman or FAMU right away, the only two FCS schools in the state of Florida. But is his family in the Miami area?

It's not out of the realm of possibility that he plays for an HBCU next year, right away. I discounted it originally, but I'm rethinking it. A shot at the playoffs, the "Florida Classic" - that would give his family tons of chances to see him play in big games. The Florida Classic alone would, in effect, be a bowl game for him to play in every year in front of 60,000+ people.

813Jag
January 5th, 2009, 09:52 AM
If he wants to play super-local he could play at Bethune Cookman or FAMU right away, the only two FCS schools in the state of Florida. But is his family in the Miami area?

It's not out of the realm of possibility that he plays for an HBCU next year, right away. I discounted it originally, but I'm rethinking it. A shot at the playoffs, the "Florida Classic" - that would give his family tons of chances to see him play in big games. The Florida Classic alone would, in effect, be a bowl game for him to play in every year in front of 60,000+ people.
He's from Tampa. No disrespect to FAMU or BCU, but he's not going FCS unless all of his FBS options are exhausted. I don't know if the Florida school restriction applies to FCS. They're still trying to work on the restrictions, If they loosen I think he'll end up a USF.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 5th, 2009, 10:05 AM
He's from Tampa. No disrespect to FAMU or BCU, but he's not going FCS unless all of his FBS options are exhausted. I don't know if the Florida school restriction applies to FCS. They're still trying to work on the restrictions, If they loosen I think he'll end up a USF.

If they don't, hello B-CU.

Everyone seems convinced that he'll go FBS, but I think the FCS carrot "you can play right away", along with many other high-profile FBS to FCS transfers over the years, make it a much higher possibility than folks realize.

UCF, I think, is based in Orlando? That would be closer than both schools, and USF would be closer still. But that will mean he has to sit out a year, and if his fathers' health is very poor, that means his dad might not ever be able to see him play again. It's morbid, but it's a real consideration.

813Jag
January 5th, 2009, 10:12 AM
If they don't, hello B-CU.

Everyone seems convinced that he'll go FBS, but I think the FCS carrot "you can play right away", along with many other high-profile FBS to FCS transfers over the years, make it a much higher possibility than folks realize.

UCF, I think, is based in Orlando? That would be closer than both schools, and USF would be closer still. But that will mean he has to sit out a year, and if his fathers' health is very poor, that means his dad might not ever be able to see him play again. It's morbid, but it's a real consideration.
He'd be a fool to go to BCU, they run a wishbone offense and they don't have the players to make a change to fit his style. FAMU already has a transfer from Kentucky (Pulley) who's really good. He wants to go to an SEC school but that won't happen. If he goes FCS, it'll be out of state.

813Jag
January 9th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Just wanted to bump this, Marve will now be allowed to transfer to USF or UCF. Pretty much shutting the door on FCS.

nwFL Griz
January 9th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Just wanted to bump this, Marve will now be allowed to transfer to USF or UCF. Pretty much shutting the door on FCS.

Agreed, I believe we'll hear by the end of the day that USF is his new school.

813Jag
January 9th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Agreed, I believe we'll hear by the end of the day that USF is his new school.
that's where he wants to go since Tennessee is out. He was spotted with Lane Kiffin at a game a couple of weeks ago.

CSUBUCDAD
January 9th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Chuck South has two great young guns competing for the QB spot this season. AJ Tuscano and Gabe Gilmore are both very talented. I am surprised 6 people think he may go there with them on the roster.

PantherFan08
January 11th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I don't see him dropping down to the FCS level. He still has three years of eligibility left and has given no inclination that he is indeed headed to the FCS. I'd say PAC 10 or mid major based on the restrictions imposed by Coach Shannon

katstrapper
January 13th, 2009, 07:35 AM
About as old as every time you bash Texas St. xcoffeex

ha ha!

In response to UCA? regarding Bomar, RB had a very successful, yet quiet career at Sam Houston. He left as the ALL-TIME CAREER PASSING LEADER at Sam Houston in just two years. The kid is a great talent. Crappy defense, crappy special teams and a head coach with no balls is what led this team to underachieving.xcoffeex

Marve isnt coming to Sam Houston nor is any other D-I transfer. Look for a junior college QB to come in if we get one. Other than that, we are stuck with what we have. TW and staff are unable to develop high school QB's, hence that's why we are always entertaining transfers.