2. Wofford
3. GSU
4. Elon
5. Furman
6. Samford
7. Chattanooga
8. Western Carolina
9. Citadel

I would expect 2 definitely in the playoffs and a 50/50 chance of a 3rd team (GSU by my ranking) getting in.

smallcollegefbfan
December 30th, 2008, 02:42 PM
It is really hard to pick this far out but here would be my rank for 2009:

1.Appalachian St.
2. Wofford
3. GSU
4. Elon
5. Furman
6. Samford
7. Chattanooga
8. Western Carolina
9. Citadel

I would expect 2 definitely in the playoffs and a 50/50 chance of a 3rd team (GSU by my ranking) getting in.

I fully expect Elon to be as good as most thought they would this year. Wofford loses a ton of starters but had some very good young players so you never know with them. Citadel can't be that bad? I figured Chatty would be the worst team.

elcid96
December 30th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I fully expect Elon to be as good as most thought they would this year. Wofford loses a ton of starters but had some very good young players so you never know with them. Citadel can't be that bad? I figured Chatty would be the worst team.

I am sure that was done only as an insult. No way that GSU is anywhere near 3rd place next season. Looking forward to the GSU/The Citadel Game at home next season.

Appinator
December 30th, 2008, 03:57 PM
It is really hard to pick this far out but here would be my rank for 2009:

1.Appalachian St.
2. Wofford
3. GSU
4. Elon
5. Furman
6. Samford
7. Chattanooga
8. Western Carolina
9. Citadel

My guess would be this:

1. Appalachian St.

- With only 3 starters lost, some much needed healing time, and an inside scoop that some RS Freshman could see some major playing time, could this be the best ASU team yet?

2. Furman

- Bobby has a talented young defense coming back, and their offense will be better

3. Wofford
3. GSU
3. Elon

I really think each one of these teams are capable of beating ASU and Furman, but I think at the end of the year, they will end up with more conference losses. GSU almost played a extra couple games with all of the OT situations they put themselves in. If they can put teams away next year, look out. As another poster said, WC has a lot of young talent, and the late season blowout in Boone will fuel some hard summer workouts. With the play-makers that Elon brings back, they have the stuff to make noise as well. If I had to pick a third playoff team from the bunch, I think it would be the West Burlington Hot Chickens.

6. Samford
6. Citadel

Both teams will win the games against the teams they should, and grab an upset along the way. It might be weird to say, but Samford looks to have a better shot in breaking into the upper half of the league.

8. Western Carolina
9. Chattanooga

Western will grab a couple wins in conference thanks to Uncle Fester's above average coaching, but I really can't see any light for UTC.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 30th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I am sure that was done only as an insult. No way that GSU is anywhere near 3rd place next season. Looking forward to the GSU/The Citadel Game at home next season.

It is dumb to say El Cid will finish last, but come on, you don't think GSU has a chance to even finish third after we tied for fourth this year? Next year we won't have multiple personality disorder on offense and we should have better pass protection and defense.

The only fairly safe bets IMO are that:
Appy will finish in the top 3
UTC will be in the bottom 3

seantaylor
December 30th, 2008, 10:27 PM

You play in the Boro, Skippy. El Chit will be horrible again next year.

GATA
December 31st, 2008, 01:21 AM

Didn't GSU finish tied for 4th this season? And you're banking on us being WORSE next year?...OK.

JMU Newbill
December 31st, 2008, 06:29 AM
With all the talent Elon is returning.... I wouldn't sleep on them too much.

PhoenixPhan06
December 31st, 2008, 09:27 AM
1) ASU: 'Nuff said
2) Elon: After two years of just missing out on the playoffs, we'll be playing with a chip on our shoulders all year long. A lot of excitement is surrounding the matchup against Wake @ BB&T Field with a great shot at an upset IMO. Riddle, Hudgins, and Newsome all the way to the bank!
3) Wofford: The Terriers will still be fierce in '09.
4) Furman: I see Furman making some noise during the season much like this year but fizzling out towards the end of the season just coming up short of the playoffs.
4a) GSU: Its time for all the younsters to grow up and grow up fast. I still see the eagles just outside of the top tier in the SoCon but look for some upsets late in the season when they find some consistency.
4b) Samford: After a surprising year in '08, look for Samford to build on that momentum and challenge everyone in the SoCon. Talented returning QB is the key to their success in '09.
7) The Citadel: Andre Roberts is your only hope in '09 so he'd better stay healthy or else it could be another looong season for the dogs.
7a) WCU: Still in rebuilding mode in Cullowee but they have a promising young RB in Quan Warley and if he shows the ability to shoulder the load for the cats, I see them possibly moving up a spot in the SoCon rankings.
9) Chatt: Last but not least, well maybe thats not totally true. Last and possibly least, the Mocs have little to look forward to in '09 except for a new coach and another year hosting the NC.

Best of luck to everyone in the SoCon in 2009 and hopefully some teams can prove my predictions wrong and we make a push for 3-4 playoff spots to show the CAA and the rest of the country who the top dogs are!

appfan2008
December 31st, 2008, 09:32 AM
ASU
Elon
GSU
Furman
Wofford
Samford
WCU
The Citadel
UTC

appsfan
December 31st, 2008, 09:50 AM
1) ASU: 'Nuff said
2) Elon: After two years of just missing out on the playoffs, we'll be playing with a chip on our shoulders all year long. A lot of excitement is surrounding the matchup against Wake @ BB&T Field with a great shot at an upset IMO. Riddle, Hudgins, and Newsome all the way to the bank!
3) Wofford: The Terriers will still be fierce in '09.
4) Furman: I see Furman making some noise during the season much like this year but fizzling out towards the end of the season just coming up short of the playoffs.
4a) GSU: Its time for all the younsters to grow up and grow up fast. I still see the eagles just outside of the top tier in the SoCon but look for some upsets late in the season when they find some consistency.
4b) Samford: After a surprising year in '08, look for Samford to build on that momentum and challenge everyone in the SoCon. Talented returning QB is the key to their success in '09.
7) The Citadel: Andre Roberts is your only hope in '09 so he'd better stay healthy or else it could be another looong season for the dogs.
7a) WCU: Still in rebuilding mode in Cullowee but they have a promising young RB in Quan Warley and if he shows the ability to shoulder the load for the cats, I see them possibly moving up a spot in the SoCon rankings.
9) Chatt: Last but not least, well maybe thats not totally true. Last and possibly least, the Mocs have little to look forward to in '09 except for a new coach and another year hosting the NC.

Best of luck to everyone in the SoCon in 2009 and hopefully some teams can prove my predictions wrong and we make a push for 3-4 playoff spots to show the CAA and the rest of the country who the top dogs are!

Here's a word of advice: don't give Wake too much of a game or they won't schedule you in the future.;) Otherwise, I agree with your projections now, but there is still a lot of recruiting to be done, classes to pass, etc. and this could affect the way things look by the time the conference season rolls around.

blueballs
December 31st, 2008, 11:08 AM
Let's see who signs who in February, who transfers in or out, and who is healthy and academically eligible come August before we rank anybody.

From what we know right now though, App is number 1, then Elon, then Samford, GSU, Furman, Wofford with not a lot seperating those four, then WCU, Citadel, and UTC.

Hopefully the SoCon can regain its status in FCS by securing three playoff berths in 2009.

AshevilleApp2
December 31st, 2008, 11:16 AM
Let's see who signs who in February, who transfers in or out, and who is healthy and academically eligible come August before we rank anybody.

From what we know right now though, App is number 1, then Elon, then Samford, GSU, Furman, Wofford with not a lot seperating those four, then WCU, Citadel, and UTC.

Hopefully the SoCon can regain its status in FCS by securing three playoff berths in 2009.

Agreed. And please Lord, no more CAA chants in our home stadiums.

terrierbob
December 31st, 2008, 02:22 PM
I can't recall our ever being picked better than 3rd pre-season--not in '03,'07'or '08 I don't believe. Wouldn't change it, though we may be approaching the "reload" level. I think we're better as underdogs.

appstate38
December 31st, 2008, 02:30 PM
[/B]

Agreed. And please Lord, no more CAA chants in our home stadiums.

Then I suggest we man up and do something about it.

catamount man
December 31st, 2008, 03:57 PM
Way too early to even predict. All I want though is continued improvement. Wagner took a 1-10 Briggs team and went 3-9. If he goes 6-5 in 2009 or even 7-4, I will be VERY happy knowing that the pieces are being put together.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

ASU
December 31st, 2008, 04:22 PM
Way too early to even predict. All I want though is continued improvement. Wagner took a 1-10 Briggs team and went 3-9. If he goes 6-5 in 2009 or even 7-4, I will be VERY happy knowing that the pieces are being put together.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Come on now......bring Briggs back.....he wasn't too bad......it was you administration, not your coach.
Besides, you almost had to be better than 1-10.

rudy1648
December 31st, 2008, 04:53 PM
My guess would be this:

1. Appalachian St.

- With only 3 starters lost, some much needed healing time, and an inside scoop that some RS Freshman could see some major playing time, could this be the best ASU team yet?

2. Furman

- Bobby has a talented young defense coming back, and their offense will be better

3. Wofford
3. GSU
3. Elon

I really think each one of these teams are capable of beating ASU and Furman, but I think at the end of the year, they will end up with more conference losses. GSU almost played a extra couple games with all of the OT situations they put themselves in. If they can put teams away next year, look out. As another poster said, WC has a lot of young talent, and the late season blowout in Boone will fuel some hard summer workouts. With the play-makers that Elon brings back, they have the stuff to make noise as well. If I had to pick a third playoff team from the bunch, I think it would be the West Burlington Hot Chickens.

6. Samford
6. Citadel

Both teams will win the games against the teams they should, and grab an upset along the way. It might be weird to say, but Samford looks to have a better shot in breaking into the upper half of the league.

8. Western Carolina
9. Chattanooga

Western will grab a couple wins in conference thanks to Uncle Fester's above average coaching, but I really can't see any light for UTC.

I think ASU loses 4 starters,,,,on offense, WR TJ Courman, OL John Bieschke, OL Brad Coley and on defense LB Pierre Banks. Also losing some good people but were not starters at DB,,,Leonard Love and Billy Riddle.

Jiggs
December 31st, 2008, 08:11 PM
All you guys who are picking Samford sixth are probably the same ones that picked Samford ninth last year. Wake up and smell the coffee!

GATA
December 31st, 2008, 08:40 PM
All you guys who are picking Samford sixth are probably the same ones that picked Samford ninth last year. Wake up and smell the coffee!

Why does Samford deserve to be any higher than 6th? They just finished in a 3 way tie for 4th place...do you want people to pick you to finish 1st or 2nd? You haven't accomplished anything...I think YOU need to wake up and realize that your team hasn't done anything that would make them deserving of being mentioned in the conference elite.

Jiggs
December 31st, 2008, 08:42 PM
Why does Samford deserve to be any higher than 6th? They just finished in a 3 way tie for 4th place...do you want people to pick you to finish 1st or 2nd? You haven't accomplished anything...I think YOU need to wake up and realize that your team hasn't done anything that would make them deserving of being mentioned in the conference elite.

They deserve to be ahead of GSU, that's for sure.

GATA
December 31st, 2008, 09:02 PM

And GSU deserves to be ahead of Furman. and Furman deserves to be ahead of Samford...you see how that works? Kinda silly isn't it?

Don't be a moron. While GSU has actually won the conference before, not to mention national titles, Samford has done neither. Stop demanding respect for crap your program has never been close to accomplishing. Once Samford actually finishes in the top 3 of the conference...then maybe they'll be considered to finish in the top 3...that's called logic. GSU has something called "history" and "reputation"...Samford has neither.

Jiggs
December 31st, 2008, 09:06 PM
And GSU deserves to be ahead of Furman. and Furman deserves to be ahead of Samford...you see how that works? Kinda silly isn't it?

Don't be a moron. While GSU has actually won the conference before, not to mention national titles, Samford has done neither. Stop demanding respect for crap your program has never been close to accomplishing. Once Samford actually finishes in the top 3 of the conference...then maybe they'll be considered to finish in the top 3...that's called logic. GSU has something called "history" and "reputation"...Samford has neither.

Keep living in the past. We'll look to the future.

seantaylor
December 31st, 2008, 11:45 PM
Elon is a paper tiger. GSU, on paper, probably has the most talent in the conference. Can we overcome our coaching deficiencies?

BJuice
January 1st, 2009, 12:14 AM
Wow!!! Three pages of discussion on this topic most picking the Citadel near the bottom of the SoCon and there is only one Citadel poster to say anything. That reply didn't really argue against a bottom feeder prediction. How the "mighty" have fallen.

It's a shame they probably still won't be big enough to put us (Charleston Southern) on the schedule. Instead, they'll play somebody like Weber International.

The Cats
January 1st, 2009, 06:29 AM
Can we overcome our coaching deficiencies?

The rest of the conference certainly hopes not !!!!! xeyebrowx

The Cats
January 1st, 2009, 06:30 AM
....... they probably still won't be big enough to put us (Charleston Southern) on the schedule.

and they should schedule you, why?????

SouthernEagle02
January 1st, 2009, 09:18 AM
Wow!!! Three pages of discussion on this topic most picking the Citadel near the bottom of the SoCon and there is only one Citadel poster to say anything.

With Citdog getting canned, I think this will be as good as it gets. Anyway, I don't know how the SoCon will shape up next year. But using my powers I'll go with this:

1)App
2)Elon
3)GS or WF
4)WF or GS
5)Furman
6)Samford
7)WC
8)UTC or Cit
9)Cit or UTC

utcfan
January 1st, 2009, 10:32 AM
1)ASU
2)Wofford
3)GSU
4)Elon
5)Furman
6)UTC
7)Samford
8)WCU
9)Citadel

Its a new year. Moc fans can hope for a good year with a new coaching staff.

gophoenix
January 1st, 2009, 11:23 AM
I am just hoping for such a blowout of Davidson next year that it makes them feel the brunt of what SoCon football is and how they are complete pansies in bailing on the conference and taking the easy way out in the Pioneer instead of stepping it up like the rest of us.

mountaineertider
January 1st, 2009, 11:29 AM
Appalachian
Elon
Furman
Wofford
Georgia Southern
Samford
Western
Citadel
Chattanooga

BJuice
January 1st, 2009, 11:49 AM
and they should schedule you, why?????

To continue building a local rivalry. The schools are roughly 10-12 miles apart. Yes, I know that a SoCon school has "nothing" to gain by scheduling a Big South school, according to the SoCon mentality. Wofford has continued to schedule us and we appreciate our contests with Woffod because we are able to use that as a measuring stick for our program and the progress we are making.

Beside, the Citadel is not really making competitive progress in the SoCon.

GATA
January 1st, 2009, 12:14 PM
Keep living in the past. We'll look to the future.

Samford's pretty good at looking to the future...being doing it for what? 100 years?

"There's always next year" at Samford.

gophoenix
January 1st, 2009, 12:15 PM
To continue building a local rivalry. The schools are roughly 10-12 miles apart. Yes, I know that a SoCon school has "nothing" to gain by scheduling a Big South school, according to the SoCon mentality. Wofford has continued to schedule us and we appreciate our contests with Woffod because we are able to use that as a measuring stick for our program and the progress we are making.

I, for one, see nothing wrong with scheduling Big South schools. It's a lot better than scheduling some of the NEC schools, some of the MEAC schools and some of the Pioneer or old MAAC schools that members of certain conferences seem to do yearly.

I wouldn't mind seeing Elon try and build a rivalry with Liberty or Presbyterian since A&T wimped out.

GATA
January 1st, 2009, 12:15 PM
Elon is a paper tiger. GSU, on paper, probably has the most talent in the conference. Can we overcome our coaching deficiencies?

The coaching is the only reason we haven't had 3 consecutive losing seasons. GSU isn't nearly as talented as you think it is. I'm pretty sure your'e suffering from the same delusions as the rest of our fan base.

GATA
January 1st, 2009, 12:17 PM

You know...it's just hard to care about a football program who's biggest accomplishment was knocking off a 6-5 GSU team. This is probably why nobody takes you guys serious. You think beating a mediocre conference team makes you the kings of the SOCON.

It just goes to show how low the standards are at Samford. You're never going to get any respect by pumping your fist about your 4th place conference finishes.

GATA
January 1st, 2009, 12:19 PM

It's crazy. GSU and Samford had about the same type of mediocre season. At Samford, it's probably the best season in the history of the program...at GSU, it's considered a garbage throwaway season.

blazrdog#1
January 1st, 2009, 12:32 PM
got short man's disease...short at home...short at homecoming...short in holding a lead...AAAAND short in 2009 in THE valley !! That's Shades Valley
where YOUR program WILL be put in the shade. But don't worry your players will have a GREAT view from Brookwood Hospital!!!xbawlingx xbawlingx xviolinx xviolinxhomerx xhomerx xasswhipx xasswhipx xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox x

CID1990
January 1st, 2009, 01:21 PM

Drop a date when we're open and we'll probably play you guys, if for no other reason to show you exactly where your trash program stands against the "basement" of the SOCon.

BJuice
January 1st, 2009, 01:45 PM
Drop a date when we're open and we'll probably play you guys, if for no other reason to show you exactly where your trash program stands against the "basement" of the SOCon.

"Trash" program. Not hardly. It is a building FCS program headed in the right direction in a young, building league. But, if saying it is trash makes you feel better about your situation in the SoCon, then so be it.

I know the Citadel is proud of their SoCon affiliation and the tradition of the conference. I would be too if Charleston Southern was in the SoCon. But, the numbers don't lie. Here are the numbers from the last 10 years of the Citadel in the SoCon of the two high profile sports. I know this is a football message board, but I included basketball to further the point.

Football - Confernce record past 10 years:

23-53
Average finish: 6.4 out of 8.6 teams

Some years the conference had 8 teams and some it had 9 so I averaged it.

Basketball - Conference record past 10 years:

40-124

Make you wonder why the Citadel wouldn't want to do a VMI and move to the Big South.

Is it better to be in a conference where you are rarely a factor and compete toward the bottom, or would you rather move to a conference where you could compete toward the top on a more regular basis and actually be a factor?

OL FU
January 1st, 2009, 01:52 PM

I suppose you mean some fans mentality. The SoCons have consistently scheduled BSouth schools. xnodx

OL FU
January 1st, 2009, 01:57 PM
Wow!!! Three pages of discussion on this topic most picking the Citadel near the bottom of the SoCon and there is only one Citadel poster to say anything. That reply didn't really argue against a bottom feeder prediction. How the "mighty" have fallen.

It's a shame they probably still won't be big enough to put us (Charleston Southern) on the schedule. Instead, they'll play somebody like Weber International.

Didn't you guys play the Citadel two years in a row recently. You can't expect to be on a teams OOC schedule too frequently unless you have a rivalry like a Clemson and Carolina, Florida and FSU. Variety is OOC is a good thing.

OL FU
January 1st, 2009, 01:59 PM
I am just hoping for such a blowout of Davidson next year that it makes them feel the brunt of what SoCon football is and how they are complete pansies in bailing on the conference and taking the easy way out in the Pioneer instead of stepping it up like the rest of us.

You guys play Davidson next yearxconfusedx

gophoenix
January 1st, 2009, 02:09 PM
You guys play Davidson next yearxconfusedx

Yes, think it is to offset the Wake Forest game rather than playing a D-II. I think we're taking one out of the playbook of the CAA schools (Iona, Wagner, etc)

Reign of Terrier
January 1st, 2009, 02:18 PM
1) I don't expect Furman to be better than Wofford (our D will be solid)

2) honestly I think it will be App Elon and everyone else

3) The Citadel will be dangerous, they were so close to winning 7 games last year and they return most of their starters.

4) If Samford schedules more FCS OOC they will be in some playoff discusion.

5) If Georgia Southern finds some consistancy they will be a playoff team

6) If Wofford makes the playoffs next year they will be the best team (preseason) in 2010

1. Elonxeekx xeekx xrotatehx
2.App
3. Wofford
4. between the citadel, GSU,, Samford, Furman
5. Western (but they win their OOC for FCSxthumbsupx )
6.Chattyxrolleyesx

The top 2 can change and I put Wofford at 3rd because they schedule 2 FBS and I just don't see them finishing 6-5 (In other words only 2 conference losses)

OL FU
January 1st, 2009, 02:18 PM
Yes, think it is to offset the Wake Forest game rather than playing a D-II. I think we're taking one out of the playbook of the CAA schools (Iona, Wagner, etc)

Beat them down badly. I have wanted to play them just one more time since they left just so they would remember why they don't play in the Socon anymore.

Saint3333
January 1st, 2009, 02:24 PM

Did App move out of the SoCon during my holiday vacation time?

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 1st, 2009, 03:34 PM

I'm not going to defend Maine here or really anywhere, but you needed to beat Big South Liberty and not worry about who Maine or any of the CAA's scheduled.

proasu89
January 1st, 2009, 05:24 PM

xnonox Seriously. Don't judge the conference by your frustration with one team. In the last 3 years we've played CCU, PC, and even did a home and home with GWU.

GATA
January 1st, 2009, 08:09 PM
got short man's disease...short at home...short at homecoming...short in holding a lead...AAAAND short in 2009 in THE valley !! That's Shades Valley
where YOUR program WILL be put in the shade. But don't worry your players will have a GREAT view from Brookwood Hospital!!!xbawlingx xbawlingx xviolinx xviolinxhomerx xhomerx xasswhipx xasswhipx xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox x

I'm still not sure what ..."The Valley" is...

Is that some kind of gay night club?

BJuice
January 1st, 2009, 10:43 PM
I suppose you mean some fans mentality. The SoCons have consistently scheduled BSouth schools. xnodx

Seriously. Don't judge the conference by your frustration with one team. In the last 3 years we've played CCU, PC, and even did a home and home with GWU.

Yes, you are both correct. I should have said Citadel mentality, and I wanted to but I decided not to because I didn't want to appear too "smackish" in my posting.

Didn't you guys play the Citadel two years in a row recently. You can't expect to be on a teams OOC schedule too frequently unless you have a rivalry like a Clemson and Carolina, Florida and FSU. Variety is OOC is a good thing.

That's just it. Two FCS schools in the same city separated by less than 20 miles should be playing each other every year and should be working to develop the type of rivalry that would constitute a date on the OOC schedule every year. Those traditional rivalries that you mentioned date back many years, but they had to start somewhere.

seantaylor
January 2nd, 2009, 12:14 AM
I'm still not sure what ..."The Valley" is...

Is that some kind of gay night club?

The Blue Oyster

blitz4
January 2nd, 2009, 01:11 AM
Wow..Wofford 5th? Wishful thinking considering you guys are coming to Spartanburg.

ASU
Elon
GSU
Furman
Wofford
Samford
WCU
The Citadel
UTC

blitz4
January 2nd, 2009, 01:22 AM
2009 Socon Standings

1-Wofford/App(youth stepping up)
2-Wofford/App(youth stepping up)
3-Elon(Riddle is back)
4-GSU(Competative with everyone last year)
5-FU(Wofford kicked their a** so its hard to put them high)
6-SU(Solid, probably should be above furman)
7-Cit(going to struggle without their all everything reciever)
8-WCU(best of the worst)
9-Chatt(worst of the worst)

blitz4
January 2nd, 2009, 01:24 AM
I love you as a Wofford bro. But how do you think Elon will be better than us? That blows my mind?

1) I don't expect Furman to be better than Wofford (our D will be solid)

2) honestly I think it will be App Elon and everyone else

3) The Citadel will be dangerous, they were so close to winning 7 games last year and they return most of their starters.

4) If Samford schedules more FCS OOC they will be in some playoff discusion.

5) If Georgia Southern finds some consistancy they will be a playoff team

6) If Wofford makes the playoffs next year they will be the best team (preseason) in 2010

1. Elonxeekx xeekx xrotatehx
2.App
3. Wofford
4. between the citadel, GSU,, Samford, Furman
5. Western (but they win their OOC for FCSxthumbsupx )
6.Chattyxrolleyesx

The top 2 can change and I put Wofford at 3rd because they schedule 2 FBS and I just don't see them finishing 6-5 (In other words only 2 conference losses)

gophoenix
January 2nd, 2009, 06:36 AM
I'm not going to defend Maine here or really anywhere, but you needed to beat Big South Liberty and not worry about who Maine or any of the CAA's scheduled.

You're right, but notice, I didn't say any school in particular just that CAA schools do it (and more than any other conference). A number of CAA teams have done it. A non-scholarship counts for the playoffs while a D-II doesn't.

This wasn't about last year either. It was about 1999 and 2007 for us specifically. But thanks for playing. xthumbsupx

OL FU
January 2nd, 2009, 07:06 AM
Yes, you are both correct. I should have said Citadel mentality, and I wanted to but I decided not to because I didn't want to appear too "smackish" in my posting.

That's just it. Two FCS schools in the same city separated by less than 20 miles should be playing each other every year and should be working to develop the type of rivalry that would constitute a date on the OOC schedule every year. Those traditional rivalries that you mentioned date back many years, but they had to start somewhere.

Nah, The Citadel has three OOC games most years, playing you guys every year is too limiting. If VMI had stayed as a every year game, they would have had one to schedule if they played you every year. I am sure at some point they would like to start the VMI rivalry again.

Hate the CAA
January 2nd, 2009, 07:58 AM
2009 Socon Standings

3-Elon(Riddle is back)
8-WCU(best of the worst)

Isn't Citadel's WR coming backxconfusedx Roberts is only a juniorxconfusedx

JMU Newbill
January 2nd, 2009, 08:19 AM
I love you as a Wofford bro. But how do you think Elon will be better than us? That blows my mind?

Elon is only losing 3 or 4 starters total. I think the expectations for them should be pretty high coming into this year.

GaSouthern
January 2nd, 2009, 08:54 AM
1-Appy (Playoffs)
2t-Elon (Playoffs)
2t-GSU
4t-Woff
4t-FU
6-SU
7-Cit
8-WCU
9-Chatt

appfan2008
January 2nd, 2009, 09:21 AM
2009 Socon Standings

3-Elon(Riddle is back)
8-WCU(best of the worst)

really??? the youth was already there for app... when you only graduate about 5 guys that played then your youth already has stepped up!

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 2nd, 2009, 09:22 AM
You're right, but notice, I didn't say any school in particular just that CAA schools do it (and more than any other conference). A number of CAA teams have done it. A non-scholarship counts for the playoffs while a D-II doesn't.

This wasn't about last year either. It was about 1999 and 2007 for us specifically. But thanks for playing. xthumbsupx

What is wrong with playing within the rules the NCAA provides?

You really don't need to provide any evidence to backup your assertion that the CAA does it more than any other conference ... I don't care.

That said, given where Wagner, Iona, etc. are located, wouldn't it make sense that they would play the CAA teams located in the Northeast more than any other conference? xrulesx

OL FU
January 2nd, 2009, 09:27 AM
What is wrong with playing within the rules the NCAA provides?

You really don't need to provide any evidence to backup your assertion that the CAA does it more than any other conference ... I don't care.

That said, given where Wagner, Iona, etc. are located, wouldn't it make sense that they would play the CAA teams located in the Northeast more than any other conference? xrulesx

You maybe making an argument that is an argument. I don't think he sad it was a bad thing. Personally I think it is a smart move. I would rather Furman play Davidson or Jacksonville and get the credit for DI than play W. Georgia.

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 2nd, 2009, 09:41 AM
You maybe making an argument that is an argument. I don't think he sad it was a bad thing. Personally I think it is a smart move. I would rather Furman play Davidson or Jacksonville and get the credit for DI than play W. Georgia.

Maybe I just interpreted Post #44 by the Elon fan on this thread incorrectly. I took it as a knock to the CAA. I apologize if I am wrong. xbowx

OL FU
January 2nd, 2009, 09:42 AM
Maybe I just interpreted Post #44 by the Elon fan on this thread incorrectly. I took it as a knock to the CAA. I apologize if I am wrong. xbowx

Who knows? We do like to knock each other around:)

JMU Newbill
January 2nd, 2009, 09:59 AM
CAA knocking the SoCon, and vice versa???? When has that ever happened???

gophoenix
January 2nd, 2009, 10:03 AM

No, it wasn't a knock, it was a comment that our administration smartened up and are scheduling within the guidelines.

gophoenix
January 2nd, 2009, 10:04 AM
And I personally don't feel Elon should be picked anywhere higher than 3rd until we prove we can close out a season properly.

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 2nd, 2009, 10:11 AM
CAA knocking the SoCon, and vice versa???? When has that ever happened???

Right, plus we can get some JMU/UR hatred too, right?!

You are a purple goon from the valley and I like drinking zima and wearing a red sweater, right? xpeacex

Reign of Terrier
January 2nd, 2009, 10:15 AM

Last year a lot of Riddles ints were because of overthrows. I think we can beat them but I see them doing better with an overall better conference schedule. There are a lot of things to look at in 2009, I see it as a tune up year like 2006.

JMU Newbill
January 2nd, 2009, 11:36 AM
Right, plus we can get some JMU/UR hatred too, right?!

You are a purple goon from the valley and I like drinking zima and wearing a red sweater, right? xpeacex

Dead on! Couldn't have said it better myself. xlolx

Reign of Terrier
January 2nd, 2009, 12:42 PM
I don't see Samford being able to score much on Wofford next year. Our defense is expected to be better next year and we held them to 7 points last year.

We don't seem to give The Citadel much credit, they return A LOT of there starters next year. They only won 4 games last year but very well could have won 7 so I'm not going to put them 3rd to last (yet).

elonjunky
January 2nd, 2009, 03:04 PM

Watch out for them papercuts, from those paper tigers, the truth is Elon has corrected a coaching deficiency as you put it. Elon has beat GSU the last two years Okay! Reality sucks!!!

ElonPride
January 2nd, 2009, 04:22 PM
Watch out for them papercuts, from those paper tigers, the truth is Elon has corrected a coaching deficiency as you put it. Elon has beat GSU the last two years Okay! Reality sucks!!!

Simmer down, not sure the guy meant that as total smack!!!

Remember though, it took a last second FG and a penalty for Elon to beat GSU the past 2 seasons. A win is a win, but both games could've been losses.

seantaylor
January 2nd, 2009, 06:01 PM
Simmer down, not sure the guy meant that as total smack!!!

Remember though, it took a last second FG and a penalty for Elon to beat GSU the past 2 seasons. A win is a win, but both games could've been losses.

And Elon lost to the worst coach in the history of the professions in 2006.

gophoenix
January 2nd, 2009, 06:26 PM

And until we can finish a season strong, we are paper tigers.

Eight Legger
January 2nd, 2009, 08:42 PM
I went back and plugged the past two years of games into my super computer to predict the SoCon standings for 2009, and this is what I got:

1. UR
2. JMU
3. App State
4. Elon
5. Furman
6. Wofford
7. Georgia Southern
8. Samford
9. Western Carolina
10. Citadel
11. Chattanooga

AppAlum2003
January 2nd, 2009, 09:20 PM
I went back and plugged the past two years of games into my super computer to predict the SoCon standings for 2009, and this is what I got:

1. UR
2. JMU
3. App State
4. Elon
5. Furman
6. Wofford
7. Georgia Southern
8. Samford
9. Western Carolina
10. Citadel
11. Chattanooga

So Hilarious!

UR can hang up that SoCon Championship next to Appalachian's 2007 CAA Championship. Difference is, UR beat only one SoCon team in the playoffs whereas ASU beat 3 CAA schools.

CrackerRiley
January 2nd, 2009, 09:20 PM
This is what I predict, though I am torn on whether I should put Samford two or three places higher. naaaah. this seems good.

1. Appalachian St.
2. Wofford
3. GSU
4. Elon
5. Furman
6. Samford
7. Western Carolina
8. Citadel
9. Chattanooga

The Cats
January 2nd, 2009, 10:18 PM
1. Wofford
2. Appalachian St.
3. Elon
4. Samford
5. Western Carolina
6. GSU
7. Furman
8. Citadel
9. Chattanooga

Skjellyfetti
January 2nd, 2009, 10:39 PM

1. UR
2. JMU
3. App State

You need a new computer. Appalachian is 1-1 against JMU and Richmond the past two years. And, Richmond is 1-1 vs. JMU the past two years... so, I'm not sure why your computer put Richmond in front of them either. ;)

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 2nd, 2009, 11:05 PM
You need a new computer. Appalachian is 1-1 against JMU and Richmond the past two years. And, Richmond is 1-1 vs. JMU the past two years... so, I'm not sure why your computer put Richmond in front of them either. ;)

Maybe App playing 3 of the 4 games at the Rock factors into the algorithm ... ? xoopsx

T-Dawg95
January 3rd, 2009, 12:35 AM
These rankings are based solely on the teams at this point in the offseason:

1. ASU - The coaching losses will hurt more then many think.
2. Elon - Will this team ever learn to finish a season?
3. Samford - Very good. They got their feet wet, now lets see what they do.
4. GSU - The youth had a chance to go through its trial by fire, now we see how tempered the metal is.
5. Wofford - Can't hide losing so many key components on a great team.
6. Furman - If FU were a stock, I'd say sell, sell, sell.
7. Western - Coach Wagner has them on the rise
8. El Cid - What happened to this team?
9. UTC - New coach. New system. Not a huge difference in result.

furpal87
January 6th, 2009, 03:33 PM
App should win, but after that I'd say FU/Elon/Wofford is a pretty close mix. My one thought is our conference home games are: App, Wofford, Elon, and Samford. That may be an advantage when the best team conference wise we face on the road is GSU. App does have the 3 South Carolina trips again.

CID1990
January 6th, 2009, 06:45 PM

Well, it looks like we WILL be playing a TRADITIONAL rival this coming season. Word is that we have added our 11th game, and it is against a Big South opponent. Presbyterian.

CID1990
January 6th, 2009, 06:47 PM
2009 Socon Standings

3-Elon(Riddle is back)
8-WCU(best of the worst)

Since he is going to be back for 2009, do you place us higher than 7th place, or were you just looking for something to say?

CID1990
January 6th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I would put us in the middle of the pack. Many of the problems we had this past year were predicted by Higgins, many of us just didn't listen. Several games, including the Elon, GSU and even Wofford games could have gone either way. I'm not quite seeing how the close losses of 2008 translate into the same issues in 2009. If we generate some defense this coming year we will be a problem for everybody.

BTW... the starting QB this coming year will be Miguel Starks. I'm calling it now!

GATA
January 6th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I would put us in the middle of the pack. Many of the problems we had this past year were predicted by Higgins, many of us just didn't listen. Several games, including the Elon, GSU and even Wofford games could have gone either way. I'm not quite seeing how the close losses of 2008 translate into the same issues in 2009. If we generate some defense this coming year we will be a problem for everybody.

BTW... the starting QB this coming year will be Miguel Starks. I'm calling it now!

I agree with that. The Citadel was a lot like GSU in 2008 if you ask me...only GSU got more breaks (hence 6 wins)...

appstate38
January 6th, 2009, 07:34 PM
App should win, but after that I'd say FU/Elon/Wofford is a pretty close mix. My one thought is our conference home games are: App, Wofford, Elon, and Samford. That may be an advantage when the best team conference wise we face on the road is GSU. App does have the 3 South Carolina trips again.

I would like to think the Apps will win it again this season and maybe we should be favored. BUT the schedule doesn't make it easy when you consider that FU, Woff and Elon are all road games for us. That will be a tough road to travel.

GATA
January 6th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I would like to think the Apps will win it again this season and maybe we should be favored. BUT the schedule doesn't make it easy when you consider that FU, Woff and Elon are all road games for us. That will be a tough road to travel.

Yeah, App State being #1 is really a no brainer.

The SOCON has become a lot like the PAC 10. You have one really dominant program (USC/App State) and a bunch of average teams that can play REALLY well if you catch them on the right day.

It would be legit to say that Wofford, Furman, Elon, Samford, GSU, and the Citadel could finish anywhere between 2-7 in the conference.

However, I feel like Elon is really going in the right direction...It will be interesting to see if they keep having these good seasons.

CID1990
January 7th, 2009, 08:44 AM
"Trash" program. Not hardly. It is a building FCS program headed in the right direction in a young, building league. But, if saying it is trash makes you feel better about your situation in the SoCon, then so be it.

I know the Citadel is proud of their SoCon affiliation and the tradition of the conference. I would be too if Charleston Southern was in the SoCon. But, the numbers don't lie. Here are the numbers from the last 10 years of the Citadel in the SoCon of the two high profile sports. I know this is a football message board, but I included basketball to further the point.

Football - Confernce record past 10 years:

23-53
Average finish: 6.4 out of 8.6 teams

Some years the conference had 8 teams and some it had 9 so I averaged it.

Basketball - Conference record past 10 years:

40-124

Make you wonder why the Citadel wouldn't want to do a VMI and move to the Big South.

Is it better to be in a conference where you are rarely a factor and compete toward the bottom, or would you rather move to a conference where you could compete toward the top on a more regular basis and actually be a factor?

You are also doing pretty well in the "Football Players Committing Armed Robberies on Campus" category, as well. Guess there's not a lot of "Baptist" left in Baptist College.

elon77
January 7th, 2009, 10:09 AM

And a trip to Burlington.

OL FU
January 7th, 2009, 10:19 AM
And a trip to Burlington.

So ASU has three conference home games next year:)

elon77
January 7th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Elon is only losing 3 or 4 starters total. I think the expectations for them should be pretty high coming into this year.

1 WR on offense and a couple of LB's and thats's about it. They do lose both their kickers which will certainly hurt.

appstate1998
January 7th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I know I will sound crazy

1-GSU
2-App
3-Furman
4-Samford
5-Elon
6-Citadel
7-Wofford
8-WCU
9-Chatt

Why am I so high on GSU?...they could have easily won the conference this year. I mean they lost to Wofford, Elon and App by a total of 4 points. I think they figure it out next year.

terrierbob
January 7th, 2009, 02:50 PM

1-GSU
2-App
3-Furman
4-Samford
5-Elon
6-Citadel
7-Wofford
8-WCU
9-Chatt

Why am I so high on GSU?...they could have easily won the conference this year. I mean they lost to Wofford, Elon and App by a total of 4 points. I think they figure it out next year.

Why WC at #7? Lowest I've seen?

Reign of Terrier
January 7th, 2009, 03:02 PM

1-GSU
2-App
3-Furman
4-Samford
5-Elon
6-Citadel
7-Wofford
8-WCU
9-Chatt

I'm all for not picking Wofford to win conference this year (but I hope they do or come close) but 7TH PLACE?xdizzyx

furman94
January 7th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Settle down! When your at the bottom, there's more room to move up! :D We have learned that the past few years, but haven't done anything with the position...

Reign of Terrier
January 7th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Settle down! When your at the bottom, there's more room to move up! :D We have learned that the past few years, but haven't done anything with the position...

But there's a difference! Wofford doesn't throw 3 yard passes to the sideline (or many passes at all) like Furman!:D We try to win!!!

furman94
January 7th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Hey, we dont call the plays! (we just bitch about them :D) Believe me when I say that I absolutely HATE those 3 and 10 runs up the middle and the 3 yard dumps that give us 4th and 2...

Reign of Terrier
January 7th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Hey, we dont call the plays! (we just bitch about them :D) Believe me when I say that I absolutely HATE those 3 and 10 runs up the middle and the 3 yard dumps that give us 4th and 2...

Just go the Wofford way-run for 4 yards, then 5, then lose 2 but get 25 the next play.

trust me, when we you run the ball your more successful!xnodx xnodx xnodx xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xlolx xlolx

gasoutherneagle
January 7th, 2009, 04:09 PM
But there's a difference! Wofford doesn't throw 3 yard passes to the sideline (or many passes at all) like Furman!:D We try to win!!!

Reference:

Georgia Southern University 1982-2005
Georgia Institute of Technology 2008-present

xsmiley_wix

You ain't gotta pass alot to whip the pants off the competition. xasswhipx

GD, I miss the Triple Option!

appstate1998
January 7th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I'm all for not picking Wofford to win conference this year (but I hope they do or come close) but 7TH PLACE?xdizzyx

In all reality I think Wofford will be in the top 3...but I just think next year is going to be one of the most competetive we have ever seen in the SoCon, and I think the hungry teams are going to surprise people.

Reign of Terrier
January 7th, 2009, 07:37 PM
In all reality I think Wofford will be in the top 3...but I just think next year is going to be one of the most competetive we have ever seen in the SoCon, and I think the hungry teams are going to surprise people.

I see what you mean, you probably did what a lot of us did and coin flipped 1st-7th placexsmiley_wix