PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Lifts 15K restrictions?

Killtoppers90
April 29th, 2005, 08:37 AM
With the NCAA loosening the 15K restriction on teams, does anyone know if there are 1-AA teamss looking to make the leap to 1-A? Ones I could think would be Montana, GSU and Delaware could if they wanted to. Are there others that could go as well? I know there is plenty of talk about WKU going but it is merely speculation right now but I would love to see us play in the SBC. I think GA Southern moving up to the SBC would be awesome as well.

OL FU
April 29th, 2005, 08:45 AM
With the NCAA loosening the 15K restriction on teams, does anyone know if there are 1-AA teamss looking to make the leap to 1-A? Ones I could think would be Montana, GSU and Delaware could if they wanted to. Are there others that could go as well? I know there is plenty of talk about WKU going but it is merely speculation right now but I would love to see us play in the SBC. I think GA Southern moving up to the SBC would be awesome as well.

Considering their plans for improving Kidd Brewer and their fans discontent with the Socon, I think App State would have to be on the list.

henfan
April 29th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Nothing has changed for Delaware. Until it can be demonstrated that I-A football would provide UD with an opportunity better than what is afforded to them in I-AA (and until they could get interest from a BCS conference in the region), there's no point in their thinking about re-classifying. Just because you can do it, doesn't necessarily mean that you should.

GannonFan
April 29th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Actually, the attendances for those schools, especially UD and Montana, were not issues before this change. That wasn't the reason they didn't move up. The big stumbling block still is not being able to be in a BCS conference - if you're not in one, then there's little reason, if any, to play DIA football.

Ronbo
April 29th, 2005, 09:02 AM

The attendance issue is the least of our worries. They could raise the minimum to 20,000 and we're fine. The hold back for Montana seems to be the initial costs and the MSU rivalry. I guess if MSU decided they wanted to go back to Division II Montana would be forced to go with them. The Rivalry, The Rivalry! It's a disgusting hate fest. I'd welcome an end to it. :D

Ronbo
April 29th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Actually, the attendances for those schools, especially UD and Montana, were not issues before this change. That wasn't the reason they didn't move up. The big stumbling block still is not being able to be in a BCS conference - if you're not in one, then there's little reason, if any, to play DIA football.

They just changed it Gannonfan. All 1A Conferences are now BCS Bowl eligible. All 1A schools are now BCS football schools.

arkstfan
April 29th, 2005, 09:12 AM
I don't think anyone will move unless they are angling to upgrade their basketball affiliation. With greater access to game guarantees it becomes far more difficult to financially justify moving to I-A, not that it was easy to justify it before.

arkstfan
April 29th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Anyone wanting to tap into the BCS money will have to either join an existing conference or wait until the next contract is negotiated in about 5 years.

Raising the non-auto-bid conferences to a payout of around $2.5 million is still only about $200,000 per school even if 100% passes through to the members instead of being used to fund the creation of more bowl alignments, which is what it will be used for.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 29th, 2005, 09:46 AM
They just changed it Gannonfan. All I-A Conferences are now BCS Bowl eligible. All I-A schools are now BCS football schools.

Yeah, but... when, realisitically, is Northern Illinois or New Mexico St. going to be in a BCS bowl? They'd have to go undefeated, for starters. Then, they'd have to have beaten 2-3 nationally ranked teams. It could happen someday, but the fact is the game is still heavily stacked against the MAC and Sun Belt teams.

I mean, heck, the WAC and C-USA can barely get into the BCS party right now.

TexasTerror
April 29th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Texas State - San Marcos and their fans are always talking about the possibility of going to I-A. They need to win some games first before they try to make that jump and they have problems drawing 13,000 fans. I guess they can buy out those tickets for a cheaper price to help them get to I-A, but I think a jump from I-A would hurt dramatically the rest of their athletic programs. SEE Lousiana-Monroe for an example of that...

ISUMatt
April 29th, 2005, 10:08 AM
But I think the goal is money for the rest of the programs. Here at ISU, all the talk on our boards are about how they want our football to go to I-A and bring in enough money to help our basketball program out. First our Stadium is non I-A compliant and second, we cant win in I-AA so why jump. Their theory is well if were gonna lose, jump up and play some tough schools and we will gain more money to help other sports. My response to that is how bad would it look to lose to Oklahoma 77-0, thats more frustrating than anything we have done in I-AA so far!!! Ive said it before and Ill say it again, Id rather have a shot at the National Title every year than play for a chance to win the New Orleans Bowl every yr!!! Plus I highly doubt ISU is willing to pony up the $$$ for the 22 extra scholarships it would have to come up with for the D1 jump.

GannonFan
April 29th, 2005, 10:12 AM
They just changed it Gannonfan. All 1A Conferences are now BCS Bowl eligible. All 1A schools are now BCS football schools.

Technically yes, but that's just really semantics. The Big Ten, SEC, ACC, Pac 10, Big 12, and Big East will still get the majority of the BCS slots, the majority of the money, and will be the only ones with a chance to play in the national title game. They're just throwing some cash to the lower IA's to keep them happy.

txstatebobcat
April 29th, 2005, 10:19 AM
TT,
if we can average 11,000+ after only two winning seasons in last 22 years, then coming up with 15,000 wouldn't be a problem if we ever got a couple of winning seasons in a row.

Not that I want us to go I-A, I think I-AA is the perfect division for us at this time.

TexasTerror
April 29th, 2005, 11:08 AM
TT,
if we can average 11,000+ after only two winning seasons in last 22 years, then coming up with 15,000 wouldn't be a problem if we ever got a couple of winning seasons in a row.

A couple of winning seasons in a row? Is that even possible for the Bobcats? You guys going to play a Lonestar Conference schedule to get to it? Angelo State. Midwestern State. I'm sure they're ready to make the annual trip to San Marcos. You could always get some of those non-NCAA schools from your mens' basketball schedule to play you.

SoCon48
April 29th, 2005, 12:16 PM
For the top I-AA schools, it comes down to--big fish in a little pond, or little fish in a big pond. A winning season every year or struggling to stay above .500.

Killtoppers90
April 29th, 2005, 12:24 PM
I'm willing to be a little fish in a bigger pond. At least there is some national recognition being 1-A. And as my grandfather told me, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while!

ISUMatt
April 29th, 2005, 12:49 PM
I'm willing to be a little fish in a bigger pond. At least there is some national recognition being 1-A. And as my grandfather told me, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while!

The GFC would be glad to replace you with say Murray St if WKU bolts!!!

Killtoppers90
April 29th, 2005, 01:57 PM
If Murray St. is your choice, more power to ya!

GannonFan
April 29th, 2005, 02:15 PM
For the top I-AA schools, it comes down to--big fish in a little pond, or little fish in a big pond. A winning season every year or struggling to stay above .500.

I don't think that's always true - the UConn's and Marshall's of the world have shown that you can be competitive at the next level. There's always a MAC team or 2 who is very good as well. Doesn't mean you have a chance in hell at the national title but if you move up correctly, you can win a lot of games. The Idaho's and LA Monroe's of the IA world (late of the IAA world) are just examples of schools all caught up in the ego glory of being called IA that they never got everything in place (finances, support, infrastructure, conference, etc) to be successful in IA.

TexasTerror
April 29th, 2005, 07:08 PM
UConn is a great example of suceeding. Great success across the board. We all know about their basketball programs. They went up to I-A without risking the quality of their programs.

ULM went I-A and all their programs just went down the crapper. I mean, everything. They aren't even close to the top of the ladder in the SLC Commish Cup. ULM pretty much got a blessing from the NCAA and will stick around. What gets me is ULM is leaving the SLC 100% for the Sun Belt. If they can't compete in the SLC, how could they in the Sun Belt?

ngineer
April 29th, 2005, 09:05 PM

Agreed. I think UD's program has been one of the longtime premiers. To "move up" to a bigger pond, that could result in being 'average', with occasional blips, might not sit will with the Diamond Staters.

txstatebobcat
April 30th, 2005, 11:53 AM
TT,

We have seven home games, two of them d-IIs, and all the major SLC contenders coming to San Marcos. I will be amazed if we go less then 8-3 this season. As a matter of fact I truly think that SLC champion is going to be either Northwestern St or Texas State.

In other words TxSt will have a break out season come this fall.

TexasTerror
April 30th, 2005, 12:18 PM
We have seven home games, two of them d-IIs, and all the major SLC contenders coming to San Marcos. I will be amazed if we go less then 8-3 this season. As a matter of fact I truly think that SLC champion is going to be either Northwestern St or Texas State. In other words TxSt will have a break out season come this fall.

Breakout season? Is that what you call beating cupcakes?!? No OOC games on the road except Texas A&M. Southern Utah is your only I-AA OOC besides that. Panhandle State, Delta State? If San Marcos does not win 8 games, there's a reason to be complaining. Of course, your fans are going to have big egos by winning while playing the weakest schedule in the conference. No surprise, it is San Marcos.

They'll be taking I-A after this! And if they go 8-3 with two SLC losses, they'll be whining about not being in the I-AA playoffs with that weak schedule.

galojay
April 30th, 2005, 06:11 PM
The GFC would be glad to replace you with say Murray St if WKU bolts!!!

That won't happen unless the MVC is willing to take Murray as well. The OVC would not let Murray take their football to the Gateway but remain for the other sports.

txstatebobcat
April 30th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Breakout season? Is that what you call beating cupcakes?!? No OOC games on the road except Texas A&M. Southern Utah is your only I-AA OOC besides that. Panhandle State, Delta State? If San Marcos does not win 8 games, there's a reason to be complaining. Of course, your fans are going to have big egos by winning while playing the weakest schedule in the conference. No surprise, it is San Marcos.

They'll be taking I-A after this! And if they go 8-3 with two SLC losses, they'll be whining about not being in the I-AA playoffs with that weak schedule.

Your schedule last year was very similar in strength. Aside from Montana, who did you guys play that was tough?

TexasTerror
May 1st, 2005, 08:42 AM
Your schedule last year was very similar in strength. Aside from Montana, who did you guys play that was tough?

Northern Colorado and we had to go on the road to SW Missouri State and Southeastern Lousiana (who was not in the SLC yet). Two non-conference road games. Montana at home was very tough and a road trip to NW State, the #1 team in the SLC last year. You guys got two Div II foes, not even a decent OOC I-AA foe and all the tough teams in the SLC come to San Marcos. Give me a break!

blackfordpu
May 1st, 2005, 10:20 PM
TT,
You are making great points. Tx State would not stand a chance at the I-A level. They have two D-II's on the schedule this season and SHSU does not have one (I dont believe). We do however have two I-A's in Houston and Texas Tech. Both winnable games and both on the road.

When Tx State becomes a contender in the SLC for a few years then they can think about going to I-A. A breakout season this year, why do you say that bobcat? What has changed so drastically on your team that will make them such a powerhouse?

TexasTerror
May 2nd, 2005, 07:33 AM
You are making great points. Tx State would not stand a chance at the I-A level. They have two D-II's on the schedule this season and SHSU does not have one (I dont believe). We do however have two I-A's in Houston and Texas Tech. Both winnable games and both on the road.

We don't have a Div II opponent, but we do face an NAIA squad from Bacone.

When Tx State becomes a contender in the SLC for a few years then they can think about going to I-A. A breakout season this year, why do you say that bobcat? What has changed so drastically on your team that will make them such a powerhouse?

The Bobcats are all pointing towards a coach in Bailiff. Funny thing is that they did this when Mataskis was hired from Texas Tech and look at what that led to! They do have a solid arm in Nealy, but he is the least accurate QB we saw all season last year in a pass-oriented offense. And San Marcos does need to become a contender in the SLC to even think I-A football.

TexasTerror
May 3rd, 2005, 04:20 PM
And Matt Dougherty gives San Marcos the #8 weakest schedule in I-AA football...

8. Texas State (Delta State 9/3, Southern Utah 9/10, @ Texas A & M 9/24, South Dakota State 10/1, Panhandle State 10/15)- A trip to Texas A & M gives the Bobcats a challenge, but two Division II opponents could make a playoff berth a tough proposition for a team looking at its best roster in years.

txstatebobcat
May 3rd, 2005, 04:49 PM
BFU and TT,
You guys read posts from a few guys at the bobcatfans.com message board, and automatically state that every bobcat fan wants to go I-A. The facts are that the vast majority of people on that board either want to stay in I-AA or at least prove ourselves before moving on. BFU, you guys have a chance against Houston, but it would be a moral victory to stay within 30 points of Texas Tech.

TT,
You can twist it any way you want, but the facts are that SHSU's schedule last year was not strong at all. The only reason it may be considered a bit stronger than TxSt's schedule this year would be because you guys went to SW Missouri St.

TexasTerror
May 3rd, 2005, 04:58 PM
TT,You can twist it any way you want, but the facts are that SHSU's schedule last year was not strong at all. The only reason it may be considered a bit stronger than TxSt's schedule this year would be because you guys went to SW Missouri St.

Okay, I will give you the stronger schedule. Only because SW Texas State was listed as having a stronger schedule according to SOS on http://www.warrennolan.com/football1aa/2004/sos

wkuhillhound
May 4th, 2005, 04:28 PM
That won't happen unless the MVC is willing to take Murray as well. The OVC would not let Murray take their football to the Gateway but remain for the other sports.

Hence, the reason WKU went to the Gateway Conference and took their hardware along with the legitimacy of the OVC. Truth hurts does it OVC.

kats89
May 5th, 2005, 02:05 PM
TT,
Amen on that one. They think they are too good for the Southland. To me, I wish they would go. I would love to see them get their azz's spanked every weekend. Serve them right. They can't win in the Southland what makes them think they can win in any other conference. Heck, the SunBelt is probably one of the weakest I-A conferences out there and I would think they would be lucky to win 2 games. As my grandfather always said "don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya"