PDA

View Full Version : UNH beats Maine 59-47

REEM10
November 19th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Looks like UNH really struggled in the first half of this game with a team that was 5-5. They were only up at halftime 31-28.

They way yall talkin about South Carolina struggling with A&T today, then they should drop out of that number one spot too.

I hope UNH doesnt think they are going to get very far in the playoffs giving up 555 total yards of offense in a game! :D

youwouldno
November 19th, 2005, 05:33 PM
huh?

JMU Duke Dog
November 19th, 2005, 05:35 PM
I hope UNH doesnt think they are going to get very far in the playoffs giving up 555 total yards of offense in a game! :D

The Wildcats gave up 555 total yards of offense to Maine! :eek:
JMU shutout Maine's offense in the Dukes' 38-2 victory over the Black Bears.

rcny46
November 19th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Looks like UNH really struggled in the first half of this game with a team that was 5-5. They were only up at halftime 31-28.

They way yall talkin about South Carolina struggling with A&T today, then they should drop out of that number one spot too.

They've given up that many in three of their last four games(Iona doesn't count).

ChickenMan
November 19th, 2005, 05:43 PM

When you're up 31 points the 4th... your opponent's late points and total yardage really doesn't mean too much. If I were Hampton... there are probably about 14 other teams I'd rather face than UNH.

ChickenMan
November 19th, 2005, 05:43 PM

JMU also lost to UD... a team Maine beat... ;)

JMU Duke Dog
November 19th, 2005, 05:48 PM
JMU also lost to UD... a team Maine beat... ;)

Yeah the A10 is one crazy conference. JMU beat three teams that beat UD.

10/22 Delaware 34 JMU 28

10/1 JMU 42 Hofstra 10
10/8 Hofstra 10 Delaware 6

10/8 JMU 38 Maine 2
10/29 Maine 25 Delaware 15

11/19 JMU 55 Towson 14
10/1 Towson 35 Delaware 31

UNHWildCats
November 19th, 2005, 05:55 PM

I'll bet UNH gets 3 games farther in the playoffs then Hampton does!

UNHknowledge
November 19th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Wow, Hampton fans gunnin for UNH huh? I guess you don't remember the 2000 and 2001 seasons when UNH spanked Hampton back to back seasons. You guys were top of the MEAC back then and we were the bottom feeders of the A10. I really don't think you guys want to play us this year. Seriously wrong team to gun for.

P.S. Thanx for the support Chickenman...atleast someone has been paying attention the last 11 weeks.

UNHknowledge
November 19th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Before anyone else posts a "Hampton fan" type of post. The UNH 3's and 4's gave up over half those yards. Maine was onside kicking with less than 2 minutes and got both of them. It was 59-28 when starters came out. By the way the UNH D also upped the turnover ratio to +21 for the season.

REEM10
November 19th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Before anyone else posts a "Hampton fan" type of post. The UNH 3's and 4's gave up over half those yards. Maine was onside kicking with less than 2 minutes and got both of them. It was 59-28 when starters came out. By the way the UNH D also upped the turnover ratio to +21 for the season.

Any reason why the game was so close at halftime (31-28)? From what I have heard of the great UNH...This game should have not been close!

UNHWildCats
November 19th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Any reason why the game was so close at halftime (31-28)? From what I have heard of the great UNH...This game should have not been close!

anything can happen in the a10, but before the starters left UNH had the game put away, 59-28.

i suppose too USC who hs won 32 strait games and soon to be 3 str8 national championships i suppose there not a great team cause they struggled in the first half a few times this season.

Atleast UNH played some tough teams during the season to EARN there high ranking.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 19th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Saw the game today and BTW the re-sodded field looked great and held up extremely well. I think I only saw one "divot" all day.

Just want to confirm that UNH pulled at least 9 starters on defense after building the 59-28 lead. Maine on the other hand played first string skill players the entire game. (I don't know their linemen's numbers well enough to know if they were starters on not.) When the game was on the line in the 3rd quarter, the UNH defense got the job done and UNH scored 28 unanswered points.

As for the first half, UNH had a couple of penalties that extended Maine drives. One in particular was on third down when Maine otherwise would have been forced to punt from fairly deep in their end. Instead of UNH taking over with good field position, Maine continued the drive for a TD. Also, UNH wasn't real sharp on offense and missed on a couple of decent scoring opportunities.

And FWIW, this was a rivalry game that dates back to the 1890's I believe. And Maine was fighting for a winning record and would have liked nothing better than knocking their border rival out of a seed. In case you weren't paying attention, Maine had won three straight and was 5-5. And they were the team that played Nebraska pretty tough. They were hardly the second coming of Iona. I sure wasn't expecting a blow out win today!

ccd494
November 19th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Plus Maine's been playing pretty decently the last few weeks, had a 3 game winning streak coming into the game.

bainsey
November 20th, 2005, 12:04 AM

This can be explained, actually. UNH saw a very different offensive scheme that JMU saw.

Maine was going with their typical pound-the-ball offense they've been stressing for years. This just didn't work with this year's Bears and their young O-line.

After the losses to JMU and Hofstra, the Maine coaching staff switched up to a pass-oriented offense, and it played a big role in UM's three straight wins.

mainejeff
November 20th, 2005, 03:01 AM
Kinda makes you wish that they would have gone with that to start the year, eh bainsey...... :rolleyes:

REEM10
November 20th, 2005, 06:21 AM
Saw the game today and BTW the re-sodded field looked great and held up extremely well. I think I only saw one "divot" all day.

Just want to confirm that UNH pulled at least 9 starters on defense after building the 59-28 lead. Maine on the other hand played first string skill players the entire game. (I don't know their linemen's numbers well enough to know if they were starters on not.) When the game was on the line in the 3rd quarter, the UNH defense got the job done and UNH scored 28 unanswered points.

As for the first half, UNH had a couple of penalties that extended Maine drives. One in particular was on third down when Maine otherwise would have been forced to punt from fairly deep in their end. Instead of UNH taking over with good field position, Maine continued the drive for a TD. Also, UNH wasn't real sharp on offense and missed on a couple of decent scoring opportunities.

And FWIW, this was a rivalry game that dates back to the 1890's I believe. And Maine was fighting for a winning record and would have liked nothing better than knocking their border rival out of a seed. In case you weren't paying attention, Maine had won three straight and was 5-5. And they were the team that played Nebraska pretty tough. They were hardly the second coming of Iona. I sure wasn't expecting a blow out win today!

Now that is the explaination I was looking for!

This post was Sarcastic since folks wanted to say that SCSU was struggling against A&T today!

Hamptongal
November 20th, 2005, 06:50 AM
Now that is the explaination I was looking for!

This post was Sarcastic since folks wanted to say that SCSU was struggling against A&T today!
Didn't you know that rivalries are only important in the A10? ;) ;) ;)
Maybe the Big Sky...
Definitely not the MEAC.

MaineFan
November 21st, 2005, 09:09 AM
maine did finish the year strong...at 5-6 they ended better then i thought they would about a month ago. Hopefully the momentum carries over into 2006.

UNH though is a amazing team..i hope either they or richmond brings home the title.

GO A-10!