PDA

View Full Version : SI.com story on Albany's Eddie Delaney

danefan
December 29th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Some of you know Eddie's story, but here's a good story on SI.com about it from a few weeks ago:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/12/11/delaney/index.html

ALBANY, N.Y. -- Eddie Delaney looks like your typical second-year college student, with his shaggy hair almost covering his eyes and traces of stubble dotting his chin. The only thing that makes him unique, at first glance, is his 6-foot-6, 235-pound frame. The fact that he was second-team all-conference in the Division I-AA Northeast Conference as a redshirt freshman defensive end for the Albany Great Danes is impressive in its own right. A second look at Delaney, however, makes his accomplishment unfathomable.

He has only one hand.

And my favorite quote:

"The nub?" replies Delaney. "I don't know, but the guys tell me it really hurts bad if you get hit by it."

blueballs
December 29th, 2008, 04:08 PM
He made the "All Mayday" team selected by ESPN's Mark May too. ESPN ran a feature on the players narrated by May and there was some nice footage of Delaney.

Delaney belongs in the group with the blind Wofford receiver (can't remember his name) from a few years ago, the group I call the "Excuse Killers;" because nobody has a better excuse than they do yet they still get it done.

Kudos to a well deserving young man.xbowx

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 29th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Great story. Can't wait to see him play in Statesboro in September.
xbowx

danefan
December 29th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the head's up on the All May-Day team. I didn't see that!
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3795865

The only FCS guy on the team!

Ruler
December 30th, 2008, 10:42 AM
He has great potential. I would like to see him up around 255lbs. Thats a good size as he is 6' 6"! More importantly his Aunt is NYPD Blue's Kim Delany who is hot as hell.

Ruler
December 30th, 2008, 10:45 AM
[QUOTE=Ruler;1273151]He has great potential. I would like to see him up around 255lbs. Thats a good size as he is 6' 6"! More importantly his Aunt is NYPD Blue's Kim Delany who is hot as hell. Lets just say she has made the All Rule Team.

mcveyrl
December 30th, 2008, 10:47 AM
What a great story!!

I have a serious question, though. How does he lift?? I'm not trying to make light of the situation at all, but it would seem to me that he HAS to have a way to lift to compete like he does.

Does anybody know?

danefan
December 30th, 2008, 10:50 AM
What a great story!!

I have a serious question, though. How does he lift?? I'm not trying to make light of the situation at all, but it would seem to me that he HAS to have a way to lift to compete like he does.

Does anybody know?

There was footage of him lifting during the Gridiron Classic game on YES. He has some a strap that allows him grip the weights and pull up bar.

mcveyrl
December 30th, 2008, 10:55 AM
There was footage of him lifting during the Gridiron Classic game on YES. He has some a strap that allows him grip the weights and pull up bar.

Thanks. Amazing kid.

Franks Tanks
December 30th, 2008, 11:11 AM
He made the "All Mayday" team selected by ESPN's Mark May too. ESPN ran a feature on the players narrated by May and there was some nice footage of Delaney.

Delaney belongs in the group with the blind Wofford receiver (can't remember his name) from a few years ago, the group I call the "Excuse Killers;" because nobody has a better excuse than they do yet they still get it done.

Kudos to a well deserving young man.xbowx

I am not trying to be funny but a blind reciever? How can a blind person play football let alone reciever where he needs to see the ball to catch it. A few deaf kids have played major college football. Oklahoma state had a deaf reciever a year or two ago and Nebraska had an All-American caliber D-linemen who was deaf as well in the late 90's.

UAalum72
December 30th, 2008, 11:16 AM
In the 70s the KC Chiefs had a one-eyed tight end (Fred Arbanas), I'd think he'd have depth perception problems catching the ball. Was the Wofford WR legally blind where he could see shapes and shadows?

Franks Tanks
December 30th, 2008, 12:03 PM
In the 70s the KC Chiefs had a one-eyed tight end (Fred Arbanas), I'd think he'd have depth perception problems catching the ball. Was the Wofford WR legally blind where he could see shapes and shadows?

I found an old article about this Wofford Kid and it said he has 20/200 vision that is uncorrectable by surgery or eye glasses. My vision is something like 20/180 without my trusty glasses and I couldnt imagine trying to catch football without my glasses, it just looks like a brown blob somewhere in the sky and hard to judge exactly where it is going. Pretty amazing what the Wofford kid was able to do.

Dane96
December 30th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Wesley Walker of the JETS was legally blind in one eye.