View Full Version : Black College Football...Playoffs??

TexasTerror
December 27th, 2008, 04:31 PM
At the very least, this guy lends that the way to choose a BCF national champion is somewhat mythical. Playoffs may be a bit of an over-statement as it seems it is more like a Heritage Bowl resumed.

The SWAC representative said that they are working on a BCF title game. Does this mean the MEAC would abandon the playoffs? Have a feeling that it will not sit well with some sects of the MEAC landscape. A matchup of the MEAC runner-up and SWAC champion would be lame.

Perhaps the SWAC schools would have an interest in this, since they are more interested in the financial aspects of football than they are for contesting a title.

Of course, one could argue a BCF title game sans a Tuskegee or some of the other sub-Div I teams would not be a true BCF "title" game.
------------------
Black College playoffs may soon became reality

For too many years, I have advocated for the nation’s historically black college football teams to abandon the idea of trying to capture the NCAA’s Divisional championships and instead adopt their own playoff bracket to determine a true HBCU national champ. Currently, the champion is determined largely through the Sheridan Broadcasting Network poll or Atlanta's 100% Wrong Club which annually crowns one of the schools via their WA Scott trophy.

But I have never thought that was the way to determine the numero uno black college grid team. Even the so called major colleges once discussed the idea of adopting a playoff bracket. Their national champ too is mythical, determined by the final poll from the wire services. But the profit potential of the bowl games has usually drowned any playoff talk at that level. That is why the idea of an HBCU playoff is enticing and practical. There has never been an HBCU school as a Division II or Division III national football champ. Florida A&M won the first NCAA Division 1AA crown in 1978. No HBCU has come close since.

But my arguments and pleas along with many others have fallen on deaf ears…..until now. Warren Jones, a reader of this column, decided to write the Southwestern Athletic Conference to gauge their interest in an HBCU playoffs. He got this response from Kelly Brooks, an associate Commissioner for the SWAC:

http://www.onnidan.com/08-09/blogs/inside122208.htm

TexasTerror
December 27th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Thread of the MEAC Fans community...

http://community.meacfans.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5501054881/m/1771005355

TSUalum05
December 27th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I don't think this is a likely scenario. Too many hurdles to cross.

If all the top black football players in the nation went to HBCU's - I think it would be a likely possibility.

I believe we (HBCU's) should try to win a Div 1 Football Championship. Its a few years down the road.

TT, we all know where this thread is going to go.

Biff
December 27th, 2008, 04:54 PM
If they do this, then kick all HBCUs out of the FCS. They should compete for one National Title, not two.

TexasTerror
December 27th, 2008, 04:59 PM
I believe we (HBCU's) should try to win a Div 1 Football Championship. Its a few years down the road.

The MEAC is already trying to win the national title. I'd say that they've had some great efforts the last few years and have surely done better than a few of the other conferences (see Patriot and OVC) since 2004.

If they do this, then kick all HBCUs out of the FCS. They should compete for one National Title, not two.

The conference(s) will make sure not to rattle the cages of the NCAA. A remake of the Heritage Bowl is more likely than a playoff (think the guy jumped the gun there). A remade HB would not tick the NCAA off as such a thing existed, but it would not be a BCF title game, since the MEAC's best team(s) would not make their way there and as we all know, the MEAC has been the superior conference as of late between the two HBCUs (based on head to head vs SWAC and OOC against Div I).

TSUalum05
December 27th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I'm not sure what happened to my other post but I'll re-post it since I can see it on my blackberry. This post was prior to the post you see above...It was in response to TT's post

______
TT,

Do you scour message boards all day? It seems as though a lot of your post can be seen on other message boards by other posters. Message boards such as katfans, ags, tspn, dynamo, meach, U. Houston, and bobcat fans. There are probably plenty more but that's all I can think of.

TSUalum05
December 27th, 2008, 05:28 PM
This was a post on TSPN by Jafus:

With all do respect, many have overlooked a key item (small detail).

I think Mr. Hal Lamar took a great leap in his assertion.

… Kelly Brooks, an associate Commissioner for the SWAC: [response was]. "Without going into details, discussions have already begun, including college presidents, regarding a potential Black National Championship Game which would give SWAC teams the opportunity to prove it on the field against others. We hope that all parties involved can get on the same page sooner rather than later and produce what would be an incredible event!!" ...

She stated a "game," i.e. 1 contest, not a tournament or playoffs.

Further, personally it is difficult for me to imagine that the NCAA would support a separate tournament that they would functionally be responsible for managing and financially supporting. It is even more difficult for me to fathom that all the Black Colleges involved would leave the NCAA and start an athletic collegiate association of their own (i.e. just take some time to consider the status of the NAIA compared to the NCAA with the NAIA’s strong and rich history.)

TexasTerror
December 27th, 2008, 05:36 PM
TT,

Do you scour message boards all day? It seems as though a lot of your post can be seen on other message boards by other posters. Message boards such as katfans, ags, tspn, dynamo, meach, U. Houston, and bobcat fans. There are probably plenty more but that's all I can think of.

I am not sure how this post is related to the subject. xconfusedx

As this is the FCS's national board, is it not important to share information from a varied cross-section of the FCS online community?

TSUalum05
December 27th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I am not sure how this post is related to the subject. xconfusedx

As this is the FCS's national board, is it not important to share information from a varied cross-section of the FCS online community?

It was just a question because I see that you get a lot of your information from message boards (meaning you view multiple sources) - its not a negative thing and I have no problem with it at all.

I think many people on this board could care less about this subject. See Biffs response. There are going to be many more like it.

3rd Coast Tiger
December 27th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I think many people on this board could care less about this subject. See Biffs response. There are going to be many more like it.

I guess no less than eleven pages of them. xsmhx

I believe the creator of this thread feels a sense of self worth when he does these types of threads.

TT, please tell me I am wrong but when you see your "work" once it has reached say 10 plus pages that you sit back and cherish that moment.

appstate38
December 27th, 2008, 06:02 PM
So I guess Florida A&M winning the first FCS championship was just lucky???

nwFL Griz
December 27th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I've got to agree with what I read on the MEAC boards, and think "why would re-segregation be good in this case?"

I can guess that it would work well financially for the schools, but wouldn't it make it much harder to recruit?

WileECoyote06
December 28th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Won't happen. Too many MEAC schools are committed to the playoffs. The SIAC and CIAA are committed to the playoffs as well.

kirkblitz
December 28th, 2008, 07:55 PM

agreed, what makes them special just because they are HBCU's . im pretty sure most football athletes at non HBCU's are black anyways xcoffeex

coover
December 28th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Seems to me we already have too much segregation and not enough integration in our society.

Let's get rid of this Black - White - Brown - Red - Yellow thing. Let's make it a huiman thing.

Panther88
December 28th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Seems to me we already have too much segregation and not enough integration in our society.

Let's get rid of this Black - White - Brown - Red - Yellow thing. Let's make it a huiman thing.

Integration or assimilation while being FORCED to forget your own culture/ideals/morals/etc? :D

I'm happy to see that in the great year 2008 the football gridiron has become 100% integrated. :D Go pat yourselves on the back. The natives were saved from themselves. xbowx

*there's so much sarcasm here ^^^^^^^^^^. Embrace it. It feels better if received as such.*

813Jag
December 28th, 2008, 09:08 PM
It won't happen, no need to get worked up. Besides this discussion was held last week.
If I can channel MPLSBison (yes, really) for those making statements about PWC football teams having a high percentage of black players, what is the percentage of non sports playing black students?

wkuhillhound
December 28th, 2008, 09:23 PM
It won't happen, no need to get worked up. Besides this discussion was held last week.
If I can channel MPLSBison (yes, really) for those making statements about PWC football teams having a high percentage of black players, what is the percentage of non sports playing black students?

That had to be an "interesting" discussion. xnodx

813Jag
December 29th, 2008, 07:49 AM
That had to be an "interesting" discussion. xnodx
Yes it was. xlolx

bosshogg
January 5th, 2009, 02:04 PM
count SCSU out of this ullisht....we want a national title...not an HBCU titile.....

this is 2009......move forward people...not backward

DSUrocks07
January 5th, 2009, 05:17 PM
count SCSU out of this ullisht....we want a national title...not an HBCU titile.....

this is 2009......move forward people...not backward

Agreed. Discussion over.xcoolx

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 5th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I guess no less than eleven pages of them. xsmhx

I believe the creator of this thread feels a sense of self worth when he does these types of threads.

TT, please tell me I am wrong but when you see your "work" once it has reached say 10 plus pages that you sit back and cherish that moment.

You hit the nail on the head. xbowx

I am surprised that TexasTerror also hasn't found some way to tie Texas State into the discussion and throw them under the bus again.

Screamin_Eagle174
January 5th, 2009, 05:32 PM
PLAYOFFS!!??? Don't talk to me about playoffs!

PLAYOFFS!!!????

GAD
January 5th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Not gonna happen! They could even get the Heritage Bowl to work out, now they want a playoff?

813Jag
January 5th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I think it's safe to say that nobody here is for that. I don't want that or a Heritage Bowl.

mizzoufan1
January 5th, 2009, 09:52 PM

I agree...(now if we could get FBS to go to a playoff...)

mikebigg
January 6th, 2009, 07:17 AM
I don't mind having an extra "bowl" type game since my school is not eligible for playoff selection.

Syntax Error
January 6th, 2009, 07:44 AM
I don't mind having an extra "bowl" type game since my school is not eligible for playoff selection.How about changing that? Imagine if your home (campus) games could garner the attendance that classics bring? Hmmmmmmmm. Maybe a few runs through the playoffs and maybe even a championship, combined with top OOC games could achieve that?