PDA

View Full Version : Most Winnable FBS Games in '09

JMU DUUUKES LAW
December 26th, 2008, 05:49 PM
First off, I hate my life as I had to start a new username for AGS, long story .... so i'm gonna pretend to be a noob, its more fun anyways!

But who do yall think has the most legit shot at beating a 1A team ??

Post your 1A opponent and the chances you see your team having.

Ill start: JMU vs. Maryland
The way Mickey plays 1A teams is no secret, so that needs no discussion here. We will have a new QB (although we all saw he is a stud). We also have to account for the fact that MD was the biggest skitzo team on the planet this year and if we had caught them on an off night who knows. But i have to be a realist and say the chances of us winning are SLIM.

My guess --- MD 31, JMU 10

Silenoz
December 26th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Anyone wanna post every matchup scheduled? :)

JMU DUUUKES LAW
December 26th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Anyone wanna post every matchup scheduled? :)

Haha that was my intention and then I realized very quickly how hard a task that really was

ericsaid
December 26th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I would say App vs. ECU

93henfan
December 26th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Delaware always has a shot against Navy.

93henfan
December 26th, 2008, 06:33 PM

Though we probably wouldn't have this year.

R3TRO
December 26th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I wish I knew who UNH was playing.

Eight Legger
December 26th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I think we have an ok shot against Duke. It will not be easy, though, as Duke was improved this year and will be better next year, and we will have lost our two DEs and Vaughan. But we will have 16 starters back, including our QB, so I would give us a fighter's chance. Some of our guys already beat Duke once a couple years ago, so why not do it again?

g-webb1994
December 26th, 2008, 07:24 PM
G-Webb has two FBS games, at NC State and at Buffalo. Neither are winnable. After playing so well down at GT this year though, I think we can keep them both respectable.

Mountain Panther
December 26th, 2008, 07:37 PM
UNI @ Iowa, first game of the year.

It WILL NOT be like the 66-0 beating we took in 1997, and I think it will be closer than 2005's 45-21 performance. Iowa's star RB Shon Green will probably leave early to go pro, and if he does, we have a MUCH better chance of keeping it close.

I Bleed Purple
December 26th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I believe we play Wyoming this year. The Cowboy's are in all sorts of turmoil, so that one's possible. Should be able to score on 'em.

NovaWildcat
December 26th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Nova and Temple at the Linc.

VERY winnable game...crowd will probably be about 50/50. Temple improved this year, so it might be tougher than expected, but it's very winnable.

Tealblood
December 26th, 2008, 07:55 PM
CCU plays Kent St.- I know nothing about them

elonpuckhog
December 26th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Elon plays Wake - we've always played them tough in Bball. I think we have a shot against them, but its probably a pretty long shot.

furpal87
December 26th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Furman plays at Auburn, if it was early we'd have a shot, but it's not until November.

UNHWildCats
December 26th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I wish I knew who UNH was playing.
4 in a row, we might be safe saying whoever UNH plays xlolx

cats2506
December 26th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I believe we play Wyoming this year. The Cowboy's are in all sorts of turmoil, so that one's possible. Should be able to score on 'em.

That is probably the most winnable FBS game that I have heard of.

Mountain Panther
December 26th, 2008, 09:39 PM
That is probably the most winnable FBS game that I have heard of.

Agreed, especially since it sounds like Weber's QB is back next year.

cats2506
December 26th, 2008, 09:42 PM

Weber has quite a bit returning, and Whyoming was bad this year and has a new coach for next year.

I Bleed Purple
December 26th, 2008, 09:59 PM

And RB, and #1 WR. Quite a few on the defensive end, but we are a platooning defense there anyway.

FargoBison
December 26th, 2008, 10:27 PM
NDSU has Iowa State, which is definitely a winnable game.

zilla
December 26th, 2008, 10:31 PM
If Coastal's defense could halfway stop any opposing team's running game, I'd give our guys a chance against Kent State.

The problem is Kent St. has a RB by the name of Eugene Jarvis who ran for 800 yds in 2008 & 1669 yds in 2007.

BTW, we play Clemson on October 31 also. xsmhx

slostang
December 26th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Prior to Rich Ellerson leaving I would have said Cal Poly @ San Jose State. Now I am not so sure until I see who will be named head coach.

soccerguy315
December 26th, 2008, 11:26 PM
W&M has UVA... W&M has played fairly well against the FBS in the last few years, but hasn't managed to put one away. It would be awesome if it happened for this one though.

crunifan
December 26th, 2008, 11:29 PM
NDSU has Iowa State, which is definitely a winnable game.

Absolutely! It looks like ISU will have yet another horrible season. I love it!xlolx

Canyoncat
December 27th, 2008, 12:07 AM
MSU vs MSU with MSU winning :D

CatMom07
December 27th, 2008, 12:15 AM
We have TCU, second game.

The past 2 years we had our chances against Baylor & SMU but came out with nerves and flat the first quarter, which killed our chances. (fumbles, dropped passes, penalties) If you take those away we may have won one of them, at least.

We have alot of talent returning but I don't know about our chances. Probably close to zero and none. Just hoping we keep them honest.

kirkblitz
December 27th, 2008, 06:52 AM
CCU @ Kent State

Kent state is bad REAL BAD

coastal should be improved on offense so we can take um, and HOPEFULLY we get some sort of offense by then (praying for a new dc!!!!) xthumbsupx

Pantherpower
December 27th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I had a dream, very vivid dream, that UNI beat Iowa. Does that count?:)

Reign of Terrier
December 27th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Wofford vs. Wisconsin

We can win this game but I'm not sure we will,then again, The Citadel gave Wisconsin fits a couple years ago so I expect us to.

caribbeanhen
December 27th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Nova and Temple at the Linc.

VERY winnable game...crowd will probably be about 50/50. Temple improved this year, so it might be tougher than expected, but it's very winnable.

C'mon Nova I know you guys dont draw for football but only 50 people? you guys will do better than that:D :D

PantherRob82
December 27th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Wow....if UNI beat Iowa and NDSU beat ISU...that might make for the best season ever? hahaha

DX Man
December 27th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Appalachian has a great chance against ECU. That game is going to be an instate grudge match IMO. I also think Wofford will give Wisconsin more than they want and hopefully pull out the win.

813Jag
December 27th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Wofford vs. Wisconsin

We can win this game but I'm not sure we will,then again, The Citadel gave Wisconsin fits a couple years ago so I expect us to.
Poly should have beat them. I'm sure the Terriers will give them quite a game. xthumbsupx

Southern plays ULL, I'm just hoping for a few TDs. I'm sure the Cajuns will be full of themselves (as always), since they actually had a winning season this year. xlolx

813Jag
December 27th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Furman plays at Auburn, if it was early we'd have a shot, but it's not until November.
Actually November might be best, who knows how the Tigers season will be, they could be reeling.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 27th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Wow....if UNI beat Iowa and NDSU beat ISU...that might make for the best season ever? hahaha

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

UNI and NDSU have very good chances of beating UI and ISU.

Cannot wait for the UNI/NDSU game in the FFD in 09!!

BEAR
December 27th, 2008, 10:29 AM
UCA plays Hawaii first game of the year. After watching the rainbow warriors get destroyed on TV, I think with a decent QB UCA could pull this one off. Well, even if they don't, at least they'll get a great sun tan and time on the beach..xlolx

JMU DUUUKES LAW
December 27th, 2008, 12:03 PM
W&M has UVA... W&M has played fairly well against the FBS in the last few years, but hasn't managed to put one away. It would be awesome if it happened for this one though.

That would be AMAZING. Good luck Tribe!

JMU DUUUKES LAW
December 27th, 2008, 12:09 PM
and did somebody SERIOUSLY change the thread title from 1A to FBS ..... come on

Reign of Terrier
December 27th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Poly should have beat them. I'm sure the Terriers will give them quite a game. xthumbsupx

Southern plays ULL, I'm just hoping for a few TDs. I'm sure the Cajuns will be full of themselves (as always), since they actually had a winning season this year. xlolx

The only thing I'm concerned about is
A) if the game is in week 1 Wisconsin will have all off season to prepare for our offense, taking away one of our advantages

and

B) Wisconsin playing the "we can't take anyone lightly" approach because their last to FCS opponents have given them all they want and then some.

T-Dawg95
December 27th, 2008, 02:09 PM
A) if the game is in week 1 Wisconsin will have all off season to prepare for our offense, taking away one of our advantages

and

B) Wisconsin playing the "we can't take anyone lightly" approach because their last to FCS opponents have given them all they want and then some.

In response to point A) The game is not week 1, so they will not have all season to prepare.

B) While that may be the case, they will still have to execute. I'm sure they didn't take Cal Poly lightly and look what happened to them. I'll be at the game with a former Wisconsin offensive lineman. It will be interesting to see his reaction to our offense and ability to play at the FCS level.

USF is the one that intrigues me. They're defense leaves a lot to be desired. If Wofford can control the clock, it could definitely get interesting in Raymond James Stadium.

MaximumBobcat
December 27th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Texas State will be playing a probable Top 10 team next year. TCU.

It will be tough. I give us a 7.1% chance of winning.

813Jag
December 27th, 2008, 02:45 PM
In response to point A) The game is not week 1, so they will not have all season to prepare.

B) While that may be the case, they will still have to execute. I'm sure they didn't take Cal Poly lightly and look what happened to them. I'll be at the game with a former Wisconsin offensive lineman. It will be interesting to see his reaction to our offense and ability to play at the FCS level.

USF is the one that intrigues me. They're defense leaves a lot to be desired. If Wofford can control the clock, it could definitely get interesting in Raymond James Stadium.
I'll try to be at this game. Elon had a good showing down here a season ago.

Reign of Terrier
December 27th, 2008, 03:00 PM

Isn't that always the case? Usually when Wofford controls the clock they win games, that's the plus side of running the ball first.

McNeese75
December 27th, 2008, 03:19 PM
xcoolx I wish I knew who to predict about but the FBS (if any) opponent for McNeese next year has not been named. I have heard rumors of Tulane and Wisconsin but so far, that is all they are is a rumor. xrotatehx

SactoHornetFan
December 27th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I would hope that I like our chances again UNLV in the season opener......

I Bleed Purple
December 27th, 2008, 04:36 PM
We've also got Colorado State on the schedule.

That's four FBS in two years. Not too sure about that. Don't have any pressing financial needs, so far as I know.

spdram
December 27th, 2008, 06:04 PM
C'mon Nova I know you guys dont draw for football but only 50 people? you guys will do better than that:D :D

Even though Richmond gets grief about small crowds I still had to LOL at this.

Mountain Panther
December 27th, 2008, 06:28 PM

Oooh I might have to go to that game....although as a CSU MBA student I would feel obligated to root for the Rams.

JayJ79
December 27th, 2008, 07:15 PM
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

UNI and NDSU have very good chances of beating UI and ISU.

Cannot wait for the UNI/NDSU game in the FFD in 09!!

NDSU might have a decent chance of beating ISU. Depends how things go with the new Cyclone coach.

And while UNI has a chance of being Iowa, I can't call it a GOOD chance. Iowa is not Minnesota. hahaha.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 27th, 2008, 11:03 PM

That's four FBS in two years. Not too sure about that. Don't have any pressing financial needs, so far as I know.

Damn, I wish we had your AD! At least he schedules very winnable games. I mean, sure we had our shot with CU and blew it, but other than that we've had Texas Tech, West Virginia, and Oregon State the last couple years. xnonono2x

Weber will win at least one of those two between Wyoming or CSU.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 27th, 2008, 11:05 PM
I won't know who we have on the docket till early spring probably... they always wait forever to announce the schedule... probably because they take forever to negotiate games and fill the dates.

TribeGuy09
December 27th, 2008, 11:47 PM

I think we may have a shot here as well. Only thing is Jameel Sewell is apparently returning to campus, so he'll be like landers on crack. And we all know how good W&M does against Rodney Landers...xbawlingx

UVA has had a couple down recruiting years...a few balls bounce our way and hoo knows.

I Bleed Purple
December 28th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Damn, I wish we had your AD! At least he schedules very winnable games. I mean, sure we had our shot with CU and blew it, but other than that we've had Texas Tech, West Virginia, and Oregon State the last couple years. xnonono2x

Weber will win at least one of those two between Wyoming or CSU.

Not really the AD. Plus, you did have him. Just not as AD. It's McBride. He was coaching in the MWC not that long ago and has contacts to all those schools. Easy for him to schedule those.

Zoo
December 28th, 2008, 03:32 AM

and

I don't think you'll have to worry about all of that, Bret Bielema is not that great of a coach, Wofford will give us a game, Cal Poly had us beat, if not missing the extra points.

Reign of Terrier
December 28th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I don't think you'll have to worry about all of that, Bret Bielema is not that great of a coach, Wofford will give us a game, Cal Poly had us beat, if not missing the extra points.

After seeing them play FSU I feel a little bit better about this game.

T-Dawg95
December 28th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Isn't that always the case? Usually when Wofford controls the clock they win games, that's the plus side of running the ball first.

It is true, but we're speculating about a team 9 months in advance. Whether or not the 2009 team will be able to do that remains to be seen.

PapaBear
December 28th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Black Bears open against Florida State (although there are rumblings of a buyout). 'Noles return a lot of starters from a VERY fast team that just feasted on Badger Meat, so I'm not holding out a lot of hope, here. Our best shot is one of those freak games where you catch a team off guard with a quick score or two, then hold on for dear life.

Either way, it'll tell us a lot about ourselves early in the season.

Native
December 28th, 2008, 03:15 PM

Hey, Purple! Is next year's non-conference schedule posted somewhere? I know about Wyoming and heard a rumor about Colorado State, but I have not seen CSU posted anywhere.

There are always pressing financial needs! I don't begrudge Mac at least one cash game per season, but I wish he would schedule at least one non-conference FCS game, too. Maybe we could hold a "classic" every Thanksgiving in Salt Lake City with Southern Utah ... or Utah State as the other "cash" game? Do you think anyone would attend during the holiday if it were some sort of in-state rivalry and held in the greater medtropolitan area? The SWAC makes a killing every year with their "classics" and bump up their attendance numbers at the same time. For example, 45k or so attend the annual "Capitol City Classic" in Jackson between Jackson State and Alcorn State.

OBTW, I think Weber has a slightly better than even chance of beating Wyoming and slightly less than even chance of beating CSU. BOTH are winnable games.

I Bleed Purple
December 28th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Perusing other message boards Native. Looking at some MWC boards gave me the CSU game.

Somewhat unfortunate since that guarantees only 5 home games next year, and if we don't have the final game scheduled, it has to be a home game since I really don't want to accept a 7 road, 4 home schedule. Means another lower division team is coming to Stewart Stadium.

Native
December 28th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Perusing other message boards Native. Looking at some MWC boards gave me the CSU game.

Somewhat unfortunate since that guarantees only 5 home games next year, and if we don't have the final game scheduled, it has to be a home game since I really don't want to accept a 7 road, 4 home schedule. Means another lower division team is coming to Stewart Stadium.

Tragic! Unless maybe we could schedule a Great West team in Ogden for that mid-season open date? The GW seems to have problems scheduling games, and it would be fitting for Cal Poly to come to Utah in 2009. Why not SUU or Cal Davis? What about San Diego for the patsy game (sorry Dons, no offense intended) instead of a lower division school? Playing down in the early season is kind of like a scrimmage, but playing down in the middle of the season is quite unseemly and wasteful.

Does a scrimmage count the same as a game? What are the economics of scrimmages vs games? Could Mac schedule that early season event as a scrimmage and keep a game date open mid-season?

EKU05
December 28th, 2008, 04:35 PM
EKU will have a decent chance to beat Indiana, but the Colonels might be in for a long day at Kentucky.

bjtheflamesfan
December 28th, 2008, 05:43 PM
LU Plays WVU in Morgantown...White will be gone but I have a feeling this one will not be close. If LU keeps it within 2 scores I will be genuinely surprised

JMU DUUUKES LAW
December 28th, 2008, 08:08 PM
So who's been composing the granddaddy of all lists with every matchup? haha

SideLine Shooter
December 28th, 2008, 08:11 PM
LU Plays WVU in Morgantown...White will be gone but I have a feeling this one will not be close. If LU keeps it within 2 scores I will be genuinely surprised

I really wouldn't count on it.

Big Al
December 28th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Does a scrimmage count the same as a game? What are the economics of scrimmages vs games? Could Mac schedule that early season event as a scrimmage and keep a game date open mid-season?

Wins against NAIA or DII teams don't count for playoff consideration. It's pretty apparant that Weber has a "no plane rides" for non-conference, non-paycheck games, thus the scheduling of Western Montana at home last year. Geography is always a challenge for scheduling, but the tight pursestrings is another big one. I would definitely like to see home and home agreements with GW teams, especially SUU. The San Diego idea isn't a bad one, either.

I really would like to see a regular game between WSU and SUU, though. That game just seems like a natural and it's a shame it isn't being pursued. Sadly, they'll probably ending up scheduling Dixie State or something lame like that.

JackTwice
December 28th, 2008, 09:49 PM
SDSU has Minnesota on the schedule. Don't know much about the Gophers only that they are much improved from two years ago when they lost to the Bison. If they play a straight forward grind it out type of game they will be a good matchup for SDSU. If they play a lot of misdirection with quick players and a mobile QB it may be a bad matchup for SDSU. I'd say chances of winning right now are near 35%

BDKJMU
December 28th, 2008, 11:14 PM
First off, I hate my life as I had to start a new username for AGS, long story .... so i'm gonna pretend to be a noob, its more fun anyways!

The way Mickey plays 1A teams is no secret, so that needs no discussion here. We will have a new QB (although we all saw he is a stud). We also have to account for the fact that MD was the biggest skitzo team on the planet this year and if we had caught them on an off night who knows. But i have to be a realist and say the chances of us winning are SLIM.

Thats stud might not be starting.....But I would guess Dudzick will start over the heralded Justin Thorpe, but we won't know till Aug.

BDKJMU
December 28th, 2008, 11:21 PM
and did somebody SERIOUSLY change the thread title from 1A to FBS ..... come on

Obviously someone got their panties in a wad...

caribbeanhen
December 29th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Black Bears open against Florida State (although there are rumblings of a buyout). 'Noles return a lot of starters from a VERY fast team that just feasted on Badger Meat, so I'm not holding out a lot of hope, here. Our best shot is one of those freak games where you catch a team off guard with a quick score or two, then hold on for dear life.

Either way, it'll tell us a lot about ourselves early in the season.

I admire you guys for playing this game....Delaware graciously declined an invitation to the swamp (to be devoured) but as a fan, I would have like to have seen them play in Gainsville

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 29th, 2008, 06:56 AM
SDSU has Minnesota on the schedule. Don't know much about the Gophers only that they are much improved from two years ago when they lost to the Bison. If they play a straight forward grind it out type of game they will be a good matchup for SDSU. If they play a lot of misdirection with quick players and a mobile QB it may be a bad matchup for SDSU. I'd say chances of winning right now are near 35%

I'd say maybe 10% or less.

1st year of the new Gophers stadium and Weber is a good spread QB.

I'll be cheering for the Jacks but if they keep it a 2-3 td game that would be a success.

appfan2008
December 29th, 2008, 09:06 AM
I know I am a homeer but I like app's shot against ecu

leatherneck177
December 29th, 2008, 09:18 AM
WIU @ Northern Illinois

Western has won 4 of the past 5 against the Huskies, even when they have had solid seasons. They last won in 2002 against the Huskies and Michael Turner as their RB.

JackTwice
December 29th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I'd say maybe 10% or less.

1st year of the new Gophers stadium and Weber is a good spread QB.

I'll be cheering for the Jacks but if they keep it a 2-3 td game that would be a success.

The main reason I was above that was that the game is late in the season when the Jacks are usually playing their best football. But if they run the spread and their QB is a running threat there are likely to be problems for the Jacks that day.

Purple Pride
December 29th, 2008, 11:47 AM
UCA plays Hawaii first game of the year. After watching the rainbow warriors get destroyed on TV, I think with a decent QB UCA could pull this one off. Well, even if they don't, at least they'll get a great sun tan and time on the beach..xlolx
Hawaii is vastly over-rated.

The Bears stand a good chance in this one. xthumbsupx

EmeryZach
December 29th, 2008, 12:40 PM
UMass at Kansas State.

Don't think we have shot at this one.

Husky Alum
December 29th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Northeastern visits the Friendly Confines of Alumni Stadium to play the Beagles of the University of Chestnut Hill in the season opener.

Boston's only Division I Football team will play Chestnut Hill's only Division I Football team.

I don't know who our QB will be, but it's going to be real real ugly.

Beagles 45
Huskies 6

And it won't be that close!

(for the uninitiated, The University of Chestnut Hill is improperly referred to in the mass media as "Boston College")

jstclmet
December 29th, 2008, 02:13 PM

I'm not a big 10 fan, nor a Wisconsin fan, but I think the Wofford fans are fooling themselves if they think they can take Wisconsin. Wisconsin is bigger than Montana, Montana was bigger than JMU, JMU bigger than App St., App St bigger than Wofford. Wofford does not have App St speed, JMU Speed, Montana speed, and no where near FSU speed. I'm not really sure how Poly kept up with Wisconsin, but Poly did have some speed.

Those 20 extra schollies allow FCS schools to stockpile lineman. I don't have anything against Woffy, but I don't think this is a match that's in their best interest. However, if they can schedule the likes of Montana, it might help close the gap.

Good luck with that...xpeacex

I-AA Fan
December 29th, 2008, 02:19 PM
CCU @ Kent State

Kent state is bad REAL BAD

coastal should be improved on offense so we can take um, and HOPEFULLY we get some sort of offense by then (praying for a new dc!!!!) xthumbsupx

Do not overlook Kent State ...they are much improved. They are young, but lose 4 key players on offense, including qb & 2 O linemen (McGraw and Parrish were studs & will be sorely missed). Eugene Jarvis returns & he one of the top RB's in the nation. He was #1 in 2007.

Defensive stats:
Last season, KSU was second in the Mid-American Conference in rushing defense (157.3), third in total defense (385.6), first in tackles for loss (7.25 — 19th nationally) and fourth in sacks (1.92).
In 2006, the Golden Flashes ranked second in the MAC and 25th in the country in total defense (297.9 ypg), while leading the conference in yards allowed per play (4.6, 16th in the nation), pass defense efficiency (99.9, 4th in the nation) and tackles for losses per game (8.0, 4th in the nation).

appmaj
December 29th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I know I am a homeer but I like app's shot against ecu

I am a Homer too I guess

EKU05
December 29th, 2008, 04:41 PM
UMass at Kansas State.

Don't think we have shot at this one.

I do...KSU was awful last year.

Hambone
December 29th, 2008, 06:18 PM
UND will destroy Texas Tech....xlolx xlolx xlolx xpeacex

NDSUFREAK
December 29th, 2008, 06:23 PM

yeah im starting to pray for your team a year early when they go up against them haha yikes

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 29th, 2008, 07:24 PM

Yikes!!!!!!

TT will probably hang 60-70 points on the Sue!!

coover
December 29th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I believe Cal Poly will play Ohio University (no, not Ohio State) next year. OU was the type of FBS team that could have been beaten this year by any one of several FCS teams, including Poly, had they played.

Of course, I have no idea whether or not Ohio will have a better team next year, and while Poly has many fine returning players, with a new coach it is very hard to say where they'll be ... but ... on the basis of what I know of Poly's returning players, I predict that Poly will beat Ohio University.

Poly also plays another weaker FBS team, San Jose State. It is possible that the Mustangs will win two against the FBS.

And then Fresno State in 2010. Go Mustangs. Beat the Bulldogs. And don't you dare wear Red in the Cal Poly rooting section.

JMU DUUUKES LAW
December 29th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Yikes!!!!!!

TT will probably hang 60-70 points on the Sue!!

or 80-90

Jiggs
December 29th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Samford @ Central Florida. I think the Dogs can pull it off.

lucchesicourt
December 29th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Isn't Cal Poly losing quite a few weapons for next season? I doubt we will be seeing the same Poly team we have for the last 3 seasons. I do not expect Poly to be as good next season considering the loss of their coach and their offensive stars from last season.

coover
December 29th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Isn't Cal Poly losing quite a few weapons for next season? I doubt we will be seeing the same Poly team we have for the last 3 seasons. I do not expect Poly to be as good next season considering the loss of their coach and their offensive stars from last season.

Expect the offense to be down a bit next season ... and the defense to improve (it better). They have about 15 guys who started regularly, or freqiently. And they have some outstanding Redshirt Freshmen, such as Andre Broadous, a former Oregon All-State High School QB and 6A Division Offensive Player of the year, who was recruited by several FBS schools.

Poly's unofficial AID, slostang, has predicted the lineup to look something like this ...

Offense

WR - Jared Houston, 5-11 185 So
WR - Joshua Swaney, 6'5" 220 Rfr
LT - Scott Winnewissr, 6'5" 235 So
LG- Maurice McClure, 6'2" 275 So (started last 4 games of 2008)
OC - Jason Cox, 6'0" 260 Jr (2 yr starter)
RG - Will Mitchell, 6'1" 285 Jr (2 yr starter)
LT - Art Munoz, 6'2" 270 Jr (returning starter)
SB - Jono Grayson, 5'7" 170 Sr (3 starts in '07 and 2 starts in '08)
SB - Ryan Solomon, 5'8" 175 Rfr or Thomas Reynold, 5'10 190 Rfr
FB - Jon Hall, 6'2" 240 Sr (three year starter)
QB - Andre Broadous, 6'0" 190 Rfr or Doug Shumway, 6'0" 175 Rfr or Tony Smith, 6'1" 185 Jr

Defense

OLB - Carlton Gillespie, 6'1" 235 Sr (two year starter)
OLB - Marty Mohamed, 6'1" 232 Jr (two year starter)
ILB - Jason Swisher, 6'0" 216 Jr or Phil Johnston, 6'0" 190 Jr
Rover - Quentin Greenlaw, 6'0" 205 Soph (played this year as a true freshman) or Angel Morales, 5'11" 195 So
DE - Ryan Shotwell, 6'3" 250 Sr (two year starter)
DE - Gavin Cooper, 6'3" 235 Jr (returning starter)
NG - James Chen, 6'2" 260 Jr (returning starter)
CB - Asa Jackson, 5'10" 172 So (returning starter)
SS - David Fullerton, 6'0" 195 Sr (two year starter)
FS - Greg Francis, 6'1" 180 So (returning starter)
CB - Xavier Gardner, 6'0 160 Sr (two year starter)

And don't look down at guys like Jono Grayson (though he is only 5' 7'') because he's only started 5 times the last two years ... he will beat you!

Poly will be back!

PantherRob82
December 30th, 2008, 12:09 AM
WIU @ Northern Illinois

Western has won 4 of the past 5 against the Huskies, even when they have had solid seasons. They last won in 2002 against the Huskies and Michael Turner as their RB.

Not sure who will get it done for WIU. xconfusedx

PantherRob82
December 30th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I'm not a big 10 fan, nor a Wisconsin fan, but I think the Wofford fans are fooling themselves if they think they can take Wisconsin. Wisconsin is bigger than Montana, Montana was bigger than JMU, JMU bigger than App St., App St bigger than Wofford. Wofford does not have App St speed, JMU Speed, Montana speed, and no where near FSU speed. I'm not really sure how Poly kept up with Wisconsin, but Poly did have some speed.

Those 20 extra schollies allow FCS schools to stockpile lineman. I don't have anything against Woffy, but I don't think this is a match that's in their best interest. However, if they can schedule the likes of Montana, it might help close the gap.

Wisconsin sucked this year. Cal Poly almost beat them.
Wisconsin was GOOD last year. The Citadel almost beat them

I think Wofford stands a chance.

PantherRob82
December 30th, 2008, 12:12 AM
I believe Cal Poly will play Ohio University (no, not Ohio State) next year. OU was the type of FBS team that could have been beaten this year by any one of several FCS teams, including Poly, had they played.

Of course, I have no idea whether or not Ohio will have a better team next year, and while Poly has many fine returning players, with a new coach it is very hard to say where they'll be ... but ... on the basis of what I know of Poly's returning players, I predict that Poly will beat Ohio University.

Poly also plays another weaker FBS team, San Jose State. It is possible that the Mustangs will win two against the FBS.

And then Fresno State in 2010. Go Mustangs. Beat the Bulldogs. And don't you dare wear Red in the Cal Poly rooting section.

Cal Poly 2
FBS 0

slycat
December 30th, 2008, 12:00 PM
We have TCU, second game.

The past 2 years we had our chances against Baylor & SMU but came out with nerves and flat the first quarter, which killed our chances. (fumbles, dropped passes, penalties) If you take those away we may have won one of them, at least.

We have alot of talent returning but I don't know about our chances. Probably close to zero and none. Just hoping we keep them honest.

TCU has such a good defense. I agree with the chances you gave. I'll still go to the game though.

RE/MAXGriz
December 30th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Griz vs Saint Mary's School for the Deaf and Blind.

They're FBS right? Toughest part of our schedule next year!!

xlolx xnodx xlolx

MaximumBobcat
December 31st, 2008, 09:39 PM

Mod22 gave me neg rep on this post.

LOL.

MaximumBobcat
December 31st, 2008, 09:45 PM

LOL, after I neg repped Mod22 in a different thread for what was in my opinion being overly politically correct, he sought out a post of mine (above quoted) which did not deserve a neg rep at all, to purposely get back at me. I propose that his reputation be taken away!

:p :p :p xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Just felt like showing how petty Mod22 is, by being pretty petty myself. xoopsx xlolx

McNeese72
January 1st, 2009, 01:00 PM

Wait!!? 6-6 is a winning season???? Well, maybe for them it feels like one. ;)

Doc

McNeese72
January 1st, 2009, 01:03 PM
xcoolx I wish I knew who to predict about but the FBS (if any) opponent for McNeese next year has not been named. I have heard rumors of Tulane and Wisconsin but so far, that is all they are is a rumor. xrotatehx

I heard a rumor that the rumor of the first one named might be a done deal.

Doc

McNeese75
January 1st, 2009, 07:26 PM
I heard a rumor that the rumor of the first one named might be a done deal.

Doc

I hope the rumor you heard of the rumor I heard is not just a rumor :D

I would love a shot at the greenies xnodx

CAAisBOSS
January 1st, 2009, 08:42 PM
WM vs UVA

JMU Newbill
January 2nd, 2009, 07:06 AM
WM vs UVA

Sorry... but W&M doesn't have a chance against UVA.

813Jag
January 2nd, 2009, 07:26 AM
Wait!!? 6-6 is a winning season???? Well, maybe for them it feels like one. ;)

Doc
You know anytime they win more than 3 it's party time. xlolx

PhoenixPhan06
January 2nd, 2009, 09:35 AM
Elon plays Wake - we've always played them tough in Bball. I think we have a shot against them, but its probably a pretty long shot.

I think our chances of an upset are great considering the number of players that we have returning. If we shore up our OC position with a solid hire, then I'd say we walk outta BB&T Field with a big W for the program!

GrizFanStuckInUtah
January 2nd, 2009, 10:01 AM
TCU has such a good defense. I agree with the chances you gave. I'll still go to the game though.

No reason not to go. TCU is a darn good team, just look at it as experience and have fun with the game.

soccerguy315
January 2nd, 2009, 12:42 PM
Sorry... but W&M doesn't have a chance against UVA.

W&M will probably lose, definitely. But Richmond played them pretty tough last year, and UVA has some things to work out. As another poster mentioned, they should have a Landers type QB who is willing to run, which could make them very hard for W&M to stop.

overall in the last few years, W&M has had strong showings against FBS (except Virginia Tech)

BigSouthFB
January 2nd, 2009, 04:25 PM
Liberty Plays WVU- Probably not gonna be close but might be semi- respectable.
CCU- plays Kent state(winnable) but not likely and Clemson(blowout)
CSU- PLays Florida..... No comment
VMI- plays ARMY. Should be interesting if Sparky keeps with the Triple option.
GWU- plays NC State. Might be respectable.
Thats all I know right now. Should be an interesting year for the Big South.

BDKJMU
January 2nd, 2009, 06:57 PM
Just remember, in 08': 2-85.

Captain
January 3rd, 2009, 06:45 AM
I think UT Martin has a decent chance at Memphis next year. The Skyhawks gave Auburn a much tougher game than anticipated and most of UTM's major contributors will be back in 2009.

catdaddy2402
January 4th, 2009, 12:38 AM

If Wofford was just lining up and running straight at them I'd tend to agree.

However, if their offense is clicking on all cylinders those big linemen you are talking about will be sucking mud late in the game. The key for Wofford will be not to try to play outside their game.

JMU Newbill
January 5th, 2009, 06:11 AM
W&M will probably lose, definitely. But Richmond played them pretty tough last year, and UVA has some things to work out. As another poster mentioned, they should have a Landers type QB who is willing to run, which could make them very hard for W&M to stop.

overall in the last few years, W&M has had strong showings against FBS (except Virginia Tech)

Exactly.... Richmond played them tough. Last time I checked, Richmond also played a few other teams pretty tough, including a team in Chattanooga. William & Mary will get destroyed by UVA.

Reign of Terrier
January 5th, 2009, 06:29 AM

I'm sorry but we have just as much speed as a team with our record should. After the JMU game a lot of their fans said that we weren't as slow as we looked against App. As a matter of fact next year our starting lineup looks to be FASTER on offense as well as defense. The thing about our offense is that it is hard to prepare for. No FCS team stopped it last year (not even App) and the only team that did stop us was USC who at the time had the #1 defense in the land. If you have seen us play other then against App you would understand.

89Hen
January 5th, 2009, 08:54 AM
I'm surprised how many schools don't have their 2009 schedules yet. xconfusedx

Wofford and Weber (?) playing two I-A's. xsmhx

From what I've seen so far, I'm thinking Nova/Temple and AppSt/ECU are tops on the list for "most winnable" with a * next to whomever UNH plays. :)

McTailGator
January 7th, 2009, 06:50 PM

The contracts have now been signed.

McNeese travels to the Louisiana Super Dome to take on the Tulane Greenwave in mid September.

VERY winnable game for the Cowboys.

ASU
January 8th, 2009, 02:05 AM
The contracts have now been signed.

McNeese travels to the Louisiana Super Dome to take on the Tulane Greenwave in mid September.

VERY winnable game for the Cowboys.

Is that the week after you play us (App State)?

spiderman87
January 8th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Richmond v. Duke sounds very plausible

DOME
January 8th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I really like UNI's chances againt iowa especually if that green leaves...then again our run D isn't too shabby.
I'd love to see NDSU beat iowa atate! i can see it now " Valley p>wns the sate of Iowa "
That being sad the cyclowns were garbage this year and still managed to pisspound the bunnies...
Either way I'm putting money down on both valley teams...are the lines up yet?

McNeeserocket
January 8th, 2009, 01:47 PM

I heard today from a "Fieldhouse Source" that the Tulane-McNeese game is on September 26th. That would mean it is two weeks after the McNeese-Appst. game.

McTailGator
January 8th, 2009, 04:08 PM

Maybe.

The contract is flexible until one of us gets another opponet.

I hope we get a home game the week after you guys and then play Tulane 2 weeks later.

Weems
January 8th, 2009, 05:33 PM
if we have some guys that can step up and i say ut martin has a good shot at beating memphis

Aho_Old_Guy
January 10th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Appalachian versus EZU ??

2009 is not a good year to be playing them. Kass should fit in nicely in replacing Pinkney and all their skill players and OL are back.

Same pretty much goes for their defense - and they stand a chance of getting Cotton back at LB if he gets a 'medical' extra year.

They are a legit Top-25 FBS team and will get a chance to prove it - they play VPI, West Virginia and Carolina (good chance for each of them to be ranked though WVU loses a bunch on offense).

They beat all of them, whip up on that weak-ass C-USA and they could be looking at a BCS game ...

The good thing is Appalachian gets them early ... the bad thing is we gotta play at Rowdy-Ficklen and if the going gets tuff for the Pie-Ruts App will have to dodge all the empty liquor bottles thrown at them ...

:)

SoCon48
January 10th, 2009, 09:03 PM

Though we probably wouldn't have this year.

Evryone usually has a shot vs Navy.

JMU DUUUKES LAW
January 11th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Richmond v. Duke sounds very plausible

They got a shot, but its very small. Duke is a very legit team anymore and cannot be labeled as the "bottom feeder" now.

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 11th, 2009, 09:20 PM
They got a shot, but its very small. Duke is a very legit team anymore and cannot be labeled as the "bottom feeder" now.

If we're going to bother having this thread, I think the defending National Champions against the last place ACC team would have to be considered.

We beat them down there 2 years ago. Yeah, I know they are so much better under Cutcliffe, but JMU was right in that game this year if not for a couple critical turnovers.

bigSfan89
January 21st, 2009, 01:06 PM
VMI may have a chance at Army

jmufan999
January 21st, 2009, 02:20 PM
Wofford does not have App St speed, JMU Speed, Montana speed, and no where near FSU speed.

i agreed with most of your post, except this part. i'm assuming you never saw Wofford play this year. don't take this as me being rude, i'm not trying to be. i don't know how you WOULD have seen them, unless you played them. anyway, i was SHOCKED with Wofford's speed. they weren't blazing fast, but Mike Rucker was one of the fastest players i saw all year. yes, faster than Sczcur, who is definitely quick.

fastest players i saw this year, in no particular order:
-Scotty McGee, JMU
-Armanti Edwards, App State
-Mike Rucker, Wofford

anyway, if you watched the "Halloween Massacre" in Boone, you wouldn't believe it, because he barely touched the ball. god only knows why. but TRUST me, the kid can flat out fly.

aust42
January 21st, 2009, 02:53 PM
Evryone usually has a shot vs Navy.

Navy hasn't lost to another 1AA team besides Delaware since 1991 when W&M beat them 26-21. (Also the last time W&M beat a 1A) Give Navy some credit, they've been a legit bowl team since 2003 when Paul Johnson turned them around. It'll be interesting to see if the new guy can keep it going.

Spiderbite10
January 21st, 2009, 09:14 PM
If we're going to bother having this thread, I think the defending National Champions against the last place ACC team would have to be considered.

We beat them down there 2 years ago. Yeah, I know they are so much better under Cutcliffe, but JMU was right in that game this year if not for a couple critical turnovers.

Is it too early to start playing the "no respect" card on here?

I am only kidding. I think at a minimum there will be a large following of Spider Fans at Duke.

PhoenixPhan06
January 22nd, 2009, 10:41 AM
Does anyone know what the payouts for these games will be?

jstate83
January 22nd, 2009, 12:48 PM
The way we played last year, we have NO CHANCE against Miss. State.xsmhx
Not one of them Pennsylvania JUCO transfer's turned out to be anything worth mentioning.
Woody is still our O.C. xnonono2x

Our payout from Miss. State is around $320,000

89Hen
January 22nd, 2009, 01:25 PM
Does anyone know what the payouts for these games will be?
Here is the link for 2008...

2008 NCAA Payout Database (http://data.desmoinesregister.com/results/index.php?BRSR=0&info=ncaapayouts&conference=&school=&payout=&income=&school_link=&sort=payout&desc=desc&sortBy=ORDER+BY+payout+desc)

elon77
January 22nd, 2009, 01:48 PM
Appalachian versus EZU ??

2009 is not a good year to be playing them. Kass should fit in nicely in replacing Pinkney and all their skill players and OL are back.

Same pretty much goes for their defense - and they stand a chance of getting Cotton back at LB if he gets a 'medical' extra year.

They are a legit Top-25 FBS team and will get a chance to prove it - they play VPI, West Virginia and Carolina (good chance for each of them to be ranked though WVU loses a bunch on offense).

They beat all of them, whip up on that weak-ass C-USA and they could be looking at a BCS game ...

The good thing is Appalachian gets them early ... the bad thing is we gotta play at Rowdy-Ficklen and if the going gets tuff for the Pie-Ruts App will have to dodge all the empty liquor bottles thrown at them ...

:)

What do you do with your empty liquor bottles? Can't you throw?xconfusedx

PhoenixPhan06
January 22nd, 2009, 02:03 PM
Here is the link for 2008...

2008 NCAA Payout Database (http://data.desmoinesregister.com/results/index.php?BRSR=0&info=ncaapayouts&conference=&school=&payout=&income=&school_link=&sort=payout&desc=desc&sortBy=ORDER+BY+payout+desc)

When do you think they'll put out the listing for 2009?

JMU DUUUKES LAW
January 22nd, 2009, 03:48 PM

all i learned from that is that VA Tech buys wins, haha. Oh and that WKU's staff is genius, netting over 2 mill just playing other teams paying them. haha

89Hen
January 22nd, 2009, 03:55 PM
I would have to guess it won't come out until a lot more games are inked. Summer?

PhoenixPhan06
January 23rd, 2009, 08:51 AM
I would have to guess it won't come out until a lot more games are inked. Summer?

Thanks. We're playing Wake in '09 and I'm curious to see what our payout will be for that one. With games against Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech, and Duke also on the horizon, it'll be nice to get some extra cash flow coming in the program!

ysubigred
January 23rd, 2009, 09:38 AM
YSU destroys Pitt and Wansnott is fired as much to the delight of the Pitt fans xeekx

Then I woke up xbawlingx

89Hen
January 23rd, 2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks. We're playing Wake in '09 and I'm curious to see what our payout will be for that one. With games against Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech, and Duke also on the horizon, it'll be nice to get some extra cash flow coming in the program!
I would have to guess that the order of pay for those is GT, Vandy, Duke. I'm not sure it's always a 1-1 correlation in attendance to pay, but I think it's a pretty good guage. I'd say you're probably looking at $300k from GT, and $250k from Vandy and Duke. xpeacex

PhoenixPhan06
January 23rd, 2009, 10:29 AM
I would have to guess that the order of pay for those is GT, Vandy, Duke. I'm not sure it's always a 1-1 correlation in attendance to pay, but I think it's a pretty good guage. I'd say you're probably looking at $300k from GT, and $250k from Vandy and Duke. xpeacex

xxmasx Cha-Ching! xxmasx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 25th, 2009, 11:16 PM
New Hampshire's game will be Sept. 12th at Ball State of the MAC.

Mr. Tiger
January 25th, 2009, 11:41 PM
The way we played last year, we have NO CHANCE against Miss. State.xsmhx
Not one of them Pennsylvania JUCO transfer's turned out to be anything worth mentioning.
Woody is still our O.C. xnonono2x

Our payout from Miss. State is around $320,000

The only think wrong with your post is you failed to add more of these xnonono2xxsmhxxnonono2xxnonono2x